Nintendo: An Intervention

thezeroreview.com/newsitorial/nintendo-an-intervention/

This article sums up everything I think about the rumors I've been hearing about the NX. Looks like I'm not the only one sick of Nintendo's bullshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/QH0iT
archive.is/EhrS3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're lucky that I'm in a good mood, next time archive your own posts.
archive.is/QH0iT

Thanks, this is actually a pretty interesting read.

If the rumours are true then I will be pretty happy TBH. A unified platform and architecture, semi regular hardware upgrades, no more splitting game development between handheld and home console divisions. IMO Nintendo's biggest enemy this generation was itself, spreading itself over multiple devices.

I'm not really getting anything out of this article.
However, the NX sounds pretty good to me, I'd enjoy the ability to play games on both my TV and at my friends house for some local multiplayer, which is what this design seems to be promoting, whilst hitting the nip market with their love for mobile gaming, and the west for their love of home consoles.
I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic, nothing mentioned in the article sounds terrible, might have made a better case against the NX if he had just gone >Nvidia and ended the article at that.

Sounds like the console I want, and it sounds like the article op linked is just butt blasted.

Problem with Nintendo is

they try to innovate instead of elaborate on already working, and amazing, formulas.

It's such a waste.

I'm not surprised if they think that gimmicks are the only the only way to keep a series fresh.

I feel stupider for reading this

Agreed. I would love to play some MonHun on console again but that this don't sell in Japan.

Nintendo are game designers are heart, not businessmen. That sounds nice, but it really sucks for consumers. For example, the reason sited for no F-Zero is no innovation even though it could probably sell well enough with nice graphics and same old gameplay.

archive.is/EhrS3
This image basically sum up my feeling to these people.

Nintendo a shit, but this article is absolutely awful, jesus christ.

Why do you think there hasn't been another F Zero game since GX?

No. They don't try to innovate. They do the same things with shitty gimmicks. Look at those Zelda games on DS. They simply disabled the d-pad and forced you to use shit tier touch screen movement. The result was that you couldn't do things like strafing. It was a straight downgrade with no advantages. A gimmicky, clumsy version of doing something that you already did with normal controls. That is what innovation means to Nintendo.

goddammit physical games are gonna get more expensive again arent they.
if they pull something like the vita memory shit there better be some heads rolling.

Wow this is such a much worse article that I was expecting.
I mean shit you'd expect this guy to actually try to speak his mind and do a dissertation of all the problems Nintendo has right now and compare it to similar mistakes in the past, instead he just fucking says that they don't know what they're doing and barely trying to prove his point of view.

No, Nintendo throws shit gimmicks at the wall and hope they stick. The Wii didn't even sell because of the waggle gimmick, it sold because it was a cheap Netflix machine.

They didn't add Netflix support until around 4 years after it came out you cretin.

Isn't that what they were always doing with hardware gimmicks anyways?

Honestly, gimmicks & exclusives are all consoles have. People demanding a console abandon exclusives just want to play games without buying specific locked-down hardware that will likely collect dust given how few good games actually get released on modern consoles so that makes sense. People demanding a console manufacturer abandon gimmicks are kinda retarded though. Nothing is setting them apart aside from exclusives & gimmicks & you want to remove gimmicks for the sake of personal tastes? Objectively, the hardware needs to stand out through gimmicks otherwise who gives a shit. Console hardware power battles are proven to be useless given the success VS power of past generations. If you wanted power you'd build a PC. The only people falling for the "most powerful console hardware" tactic are hopelessly fucking brainwashed by marketing bullshit. So what's left, as I said, is just exclusives & gimmicks. Well, in a logical world that's what would be left, but due to such an overwhelmingly braindead audience marketing overshadows both.

Netflix wasn't available in 95% of the countries the wii launched you retard

After taking more time to think about this, I realized that Nintendo is basically doing a modern version of the PSP, a portable system that can keep up with mainstream consoles in both library and quality (Battlefront, the Warriors, MUA, Tekken and Persona were both released on PSP and PS2 just to name a few). Despite rampant scurvy surrounding the PSP, it still got a good 3rd party library until 2010 since devs then also wanted to make a buck by developing for the Wii, PSP and PS2 aside from developing for PC, 360 and PS3. I have awesome memories from playing my PSP back in the day since I loved playing Battlefront 2 so much. However, I still have my worries if Nintendo doesn't still realize that having good 3rd party relations will be a key in making the most out of the NX.

My mistake, it was a gimmicky exercise machine before then.

Yes, most of the Earth is a 3rd world shithole. That's been known for quite some time now.

archive.is/EhrS3

2D/topdown Zeldas never had strafing. D-pad isn't going to make a difference there.

SD cards have been pretty integral to the piracy of the past few generations, so I could see a reason to go back to memory cards. But you're right, it'd fucking suck.

I have to imagine you never played any of the top down Zelda games, because they all had strafing after a link to the past.

Only game I haven't okayed is Skyward Sword. If they have a strafe option it's not one I've ever used or know of. And if I can easily beat all those games without strafing, I don't see how the DS games not having it is detrimental.

*Played.

Strafing is done by holding down the sword button to charge a spin attack. This keeps you facing one direction and allows you to block shit with your sheild while not changing your facing. Note that this isn't circle strafing like the 3D Zeldas. As far as being detrimental, it can make for some interesting ways of solving puzzles or fighting enimies. By strafing you could walk up to a red goriya and kill it easily because they shoot fireballs when they face you.

Very informative user, thanks for the read!

Where did this meme even come from? The only gimmicks Nintendo has ever done was VR (with the Virtual Boy), dual screens in the DS line, 3D with the 3DS, and motion controls with the Wii. I have a hard time calling the Wii U gamepad a gimmick too because all it did was take the idea from the Nintendo DS and applied it to a console controller, which wasn't exactly a new idea. Four whole gimmicks out of 6 home consoles and 5 handheld ones.