Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight
dailymotion.com/daymeeuhn
dailymotion.com/video/x4mew4e_opening-credits-intro_videogames
dailymotion.com/video/x4mf13s_first-planet-exploration_videogames
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wow, you're a modern Nostradamus.

I still never got the hype behind this game

Originally it was that you could explore and name your discoveries, but the dev got triggered that people weren't being super serious about it and were naming what they found after dicks. So now it's just about, well does anyone have a 'literally nothing' image I could borrow?

It appeals to retards that are sold solely on "YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING AND GO EVERYWHERE IN SPACE"

Fuck off with your attempt to start console wars.

le triggered fam XDDDDDDDDDDDD

that's OC from one of the original threads about the game, newfriend

I want to slice off Marie's clitoral hood with a rusty pair of pruners.

i want to force feed you your own eyes, ears and dick user

It could be worse: you end up in a room full of mirrors, each mirror is a portal to another universe.
If it were a Jonathan Blow game, it would have a masturbatory ending like "you are the universe".

Wait, wut? You are telling me that the devs didn't expect shit to be named after penises? As well as they actually removed the feature of naming shit for that reason?

pray to kek that this happens

too late.

Do you make these threads everyday because your that ass blasted at Sony's "exclusivity"?

Every time a new shitty video cones out.
Everytime the release date gets pushed back.
Everytime some fake ass drama pops up.
A brand-new thread about how totally shit it is.

The fact of the matter is, if it was a steaming greenlight game, nobody would care.
Early access? Not on goddamn thread.
Microsoft exclusive? Wouldn't even have its own thread a week before launch.
Hell if this was just a $15 game it wouldn't even have a mention on Holla Forums.
If that's because this site is just full to the rafters with with brand loyal cucks with no brain, or because anything Sony goes against the hive mind is open to debate

So which is it? Nintendo/xbox fanboy who's just so angry, or literally the worst viral marketing Canon history?

Worst part is I can see it happening. Why do indie devs feel the need to do pretentious shit like this?

To try and make themselves seem like intellectual juggernauts.

where do you think we are?

You forgot your flag.

If you're being serious it's because the dev is acting like the game is extremely deep and complex and rewarding when it might as well be gone homo in space.

How simplified will the ship combat be? Will there be 6dof, any attempt at pseudo newtonian physics?

to fill the massive void inside of them that used to be filled with their uncle's cock.

Is this a serious question?

Because if it is we are on a shitty image board that's one part Nintendogaf, one part the only place you can criticize Sony, and 4 parts millennial self masturbatory antithesis that just as pandering and as pathetic as every other quarantine safe zone on the internet

That just makes me want to punch them harder in the face.

I thought they checked their privledge to not have that

Honestly, I was being serious.

Usually if it's a shit game it gets a general, or disappears to its own forum. But somehow someone figured it was worth their time to make this thread, ever goddamn day.

It's weird to me. If it's "stop liking what I dont like" mentality why force it so hard?

Im serious, seems like bad viral marketing

Because they want it to be their claim to fame despite the fact that every other indie dev out there does similar shit like this

Limbo's devs made a new game that is as barebones as you can get, is focused on muh ebil corporations and has no replay value beyond finding a bunch of orbs scattered in areas with the only impact being some ambiguous twist ending. People talk about it, discussion dies down, and the game is forgotten because they think one game will make them remembered and well-known when sequels and innovative ideas have always been what games need to stay relevant

To be honest I haven' been lurking Holla Forums as often as I used to so I wouldn't know if someone was constantly making these threads.

i just wanna explore space
elite dangerous is shit
Star jews is never gonna happen didn't put money towards it or any other kickshitters

if i can get some extra money I'll probably get no man's sky,

would also add would be nice to play with others but the devs said basically the chances of running into someone else at the start is pretty slim since billion and billions of planets to visit and explore

the journey is the true reward friendo

i promise you that this is going to happen

does the game have forced online or something?

Either that, a dick joke or racist slur.

maybe?
cause when you discover a planet someone else is found you see what they name shit

One can only hope.

you're making it sound like those things are mutually exclusive.

They've been releasing trailers that try to make the game look more exciting than it actually is.
WOW SO REVOLUTIONARY

Sony shelled out a fair amount of Shekels to make this game a possibility.

How many shekels did sony drop on this shit? Not including the upcoming shit with the copyright holder of their stolen formula.

I would love to get to the center of the universe, get sucked into a black hole and end up in a mysterious void where the only thing there is a message from the first person to reach it, just a single word: penis

No idea. Hasn't been disclosed, but Sony was hyping this game from the very first E3 where they first unveiled the PS4

What is the center of the universe? Impossible to tell unless you have an outside perspective.
Current astronomy can only look so far.

I mean, it *has* to be some 3deep5u A Space Odyssey type shit, right? Starbabies and ayy lmaos. What else could it possibly be?

Subnautica is good, but it is a lot more limited in scope. After playing it for a few dozen hours, you've pretty much seen the whole map.

cosmic horror
bootleg HP.lovecraft creatures
mark my fucking words

Why can't devs ever do anything funny? Like make the program wipe your hard drive when you get to the center?

fuck that shit

WTF nolan?

Because they don't have any talent and seek to manipulate the public into praising their shallow garbage and ridiculing works with actual effort and skill put into them through lies, insults, cronyism, and narrative-pushing.

Limited number of charges bothered me so much
I beat the game let me have some fun

>actual good game starts

Uh oh

>The real game begins… NOW!

Get this beta faggot out of here

It's so sad. The user's post made me happy for a few seconds. Imagine what could be if some video games weren't mindless, overhyped, over-marketed fucking cashgrabs

Man, I don't think it'd really take much aside from not being pretentious fucking hacks to make Nomad's Sky good. It's an easy enough premise, the tech for random generation is there, you just need to apply some mechanics and give it an interesting twist like that to make things more interesting.

I really ought to just learn how to make videogames, then maybe my wild dreams for a good space exploration/survival game could finally be realized.

I prefer not to imagine that, because it reminds me of how much joy games once brought to me and how they're so degraded now that I can barely bring myself to care about them at all. Every year I lower my expectations in the hopes that some games will pleasantly surprise me, but I'm always disappointed anyway.

Nah, Sony couldn't handle something like the shitshow that was Mass Effect

that would really make for an interesting play of events i mean by the time someone does make it to the center traveling for most players would be able to go leaps and bounds farther then at the start.

god dam all this if and then's and buts got me hard if they can actually pull this off

Calling it now.

A Reddit-tier quote attributed to black science man.

Alternatively
>it's a woman

TURNS OUT YOU START OUT IN THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE AND YOU ENDLESSLY LOOK FOR SOMETHING YOU FOUND RIGHT AWAY

Underrated post

Gee OP, you must be really smart to figure that out.

Perfect.

Doge meme at the center of the universe?
I can dig it.

I wish. It's machine code

What do you think lads? Got your preorders ready?

Every thread

i've been a pretty massive playstation loyalist ever since the ps1, but this shit is just a trainwreck. it's the world's largest walking simulator.

honestly, it's like putting a static image on a cinema screen and calling it a film.

there will be gunshot + fade to black

Also, I'm betting that the player will find something like pic related that speaks to the player and says something along the lines of

Too bad the game is made by a bunch of Dude LSD LMAO trying to emulate Jodorovsky's weirdness in a space environment

I'm probably going to pirate it for when I trip, although it might still be to boring and slow.

If they did this I wouldn't even be mad anymore.

You don't even have to call it, this is what the last 'Too deep for you' space endings were.

Fucking Bioshock, fucking Mass Effect.

Reminder that Elite 2 already did this better 23 years ago.

The "TOO DEEP FOR YOU ENDING" of Minecraft will start playing

500 game awards given to the game moments later.

Or worse:

if you get to the center in less than 3 hours the girl strips
you unlock the bikini costume for the mc

I like how there will allegedly be billion planets, and somehow devs are always showing the same five planets through screenshots and videos. I also like how retards shout "that's because they don't want to spoil anything" – as if showing even 100 planet out of a billion would be close to "a spoiler" (especially since the devs keep saying you won't have enough time in your whole life to see the entirety of the game,… but let's make DLCs, just in case)

When is the game even coming out? More importantly, is there going to be a leak just before launch so we can spoil the center of the universe?

Hey, it was fun when Chrono Trigger did it.

This man understands freedom.

>the game simple turns you back

I never understood the hype behind this game. It really looks like the most boring piece of shit ever created. Planets looks dull, exploration seems half-assed just like the combat and interactions with other players.

If you're interested in this game, you're literally a tool of the AAA industry like the losers in NeoFAG.

Console kids have never seen procedural generation before. I don't doubt that a lot of them actually believe the "6 gorillion unique planets" shit.

Not gonna lie, I can't wait for its release.
I'm seriously really interested in how the mass will react after their precious "game" turns out to be a bland piece of shit, everything the dev said are lies and they paid 60 bucks for that. I'm also interested in seeing how the dev will bandaid this abomination.
I haven't seen this much schadenfreude potential since Warframe.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE GAMEPLAY IS LIKE? WHOA I CANT EVEN

Easy. A few will rage and shitpost on Reddit and the official forums while the vast majority will play it for 20 hours, then put it aside and forget about it.

Don't overestimate how invested normalfags are into their "hobby" - They don't hold a grudge or even remember blundered releases like Holla Forums does.

It already happened with Mighty No.9 Overhyping garbage like this causes a huge negative effect on the game after release. This will be no different. Some assholes will defend it no matter what to justify and feel better about the 60$ (or more) they put on it but everyone will get bored real quick because there just not much to do in the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if lies start to surface about the 9 bazillion planets too.

no john, you are the universe

I doubt it would be similar to something that already happened. Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 likely scenarios that already happened
Notch fucked everything up by oversaturating the broken survival aspect and not really adding anything worthwhile like a mod API. The only saving grace was that it had the building autism aspects intact, a lush modding scene and that it was mostly free on release so it had a stable growing playerbase when it started and those are the things that's keeping the game on life support.
Hyped but not really overly hyped in the sense that it was talked by normalfags literally everywhere. So there were salt but it wasn't very considerable.
It's free so the players are more likely to tolerate how shit it is. The dev keeps fucking everything up, breaking another thing while fixing something and generally speaking, the game gets worse everyday as well as the playerbase dwindles. But at its core the game is still fun and that's what's keeping most of the playerbase around. All in all the salt is contained.
Now, as for No Man's Sky
You'd be buying the game to do literally fucking nothing. At best it would satisfy the normalfags for 40 hours at best, but the salt will flow when the "YOU CAN DO ANYTHING FOR ONE GOOGOL YEARS BECAUSE THERE ARE SIXTY QUINTITRILLIONGORILLION PLANETS" realize that the shit they shilled for was all a lie and they get laughed at.
Or maybe it'd be like DmC scenario where every hints pointed to "it's shit" but everyone and their favorite journalist blamed the hair, pretend the game was good and ignore everything else.

You might be right about the details but if one thing is for sure is that this game will be a massive disappointment. I think it's Sony's fault that this indie (though ambitious) game somehow got hyped to MGSV levels. It's absolutely impossible for the game to deliver.

I for one can't wait to start shitting on every faggot on Twitter and NeoFAG trying to justify the money they invested.

"B-b-but I'm having fun!! #PS4Share"

The devs have been total massive faggots about their whole game so I wouldnt blame sony. Sony is just a retarded giant trying to score a big hit so they pump money into shit like the newest ghostbusters and this crap

>it reads "you paid 60 fucking dollars for this shit, hope it was worth it you fuck"

For $100, I'll take "what is Toejam & Earl" (1991, Genesis/Megadrive), Alex.

>Always new: No two levels are ever the same in any game.

And you know how "not the same" every level of this fucking game was. Seriously, it was like shaking a puzzle box and be told it's "a brand new puzzle" because the pieces are scattered in a different way.

We're on it, captain

Doesn't space engine let you do that right now? Do they not know about that?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight

this game was going to use fractals to make endless universe.

Starflight was developed by Binary Systems, a five-man team consisting of Rod McConnell, Greg Johnson (lead designer), Alec Kercso (programming), Tim C. Lee (graphics and programming), and Bob Gonsalves (sound).[14][17][26] Then-vice president of Electronic Arts Joe Ybarra was also closely involved, and produced the work.[26][27] The original idea for making a video game was conceived by McConnell and Ybarra in 1983.[14] McConnell hired colleague Dave Boulton, who had an idea for using fractals to generate an endless virtual universe, along with Kercso, Gonsalves, Lee, and Johnson, all of whom were first time game designers.[14] Boulton quit the project early on in development, saying it was too ambitious, with Lee replacing him.[14]

The team coded the game mostly in Forth[14] with a few key routines written in assembler for speed. Forth was chosen since it was easier to use than assembler and more compact. This was important because the game had to fit into 128K of RAM. Many tools, techniques, and concepts used in the game were learned from other individuals in the Forth community. Some of the reference material included the "The Journal of Forth Application and Research", FORML conference proceedings, and "Forth Dimensions" magazine.

Genesis version of Starflight
It took "fifteen man-years" and three actual years to develop the game.[14][26] In a 2006 interview, lead designer Johnson said, "I had never really designed a game before … It's funny looking back on it now—just by happenstance I ended up creating a very open ended system where players could go anywhere and do whatever and a story sort of unfolded."[28] Ybarra stated that the game was almost cancelled more than once, and came out about a year behind schedule.[28] Johnson was guided by Archon designer Paul Reiche III during development. Reiche advised him to draft a "story network" that would highlight all the most important points of the story and list the in-game objects necessary to advance from one to the next.[14] The designers rewrote the script multiple times.[26] The group designed what they called a "fractal generator", which took six man-years to develop and allowed them to increase the number of planets in the game from 50 to 800.[26] They created a separate ecosystem generator over the course of two man-years of work.[26] The alien names were created by randomly combining syllables until they had names they liked, and their code for simulating communications was rewritten four times before completion.[26]

Starflight was released for PC on August 15, 1986.[1] Originally available only on IBM, Tandy, and compatible DOS systems,[29] it was released for the Amiga and Commodore 64 systems in 1989 and the Atari ST and Macintosh systems in 1990, and was ported to the Sega Genesis in 1991.[2][30][31][32] The Sega version features a few changes to the overall game, such as new graphics, modifications to the ship, and upgrades for the Terrain Vehicle, including equipment to allow amphibious mining.[33]

Set in the year 4620, the game puts players in the role of a starship captain sent to explore the galaxy. There is no set path, allowing players to switch freely between mining, ship-to-ship combat, and alien diplomacy. The broader plot of the game emerges slowly, as the player discovers that an ancient race of beings is causing stars to flare and destroy all living creatures.

Actually, procedural generation where pre-fabricated pieces are put together are much more convincing than these mathematical fractal sine wave/whatever terrains that all end up looking like MATH.

TJ&E had such replay value not because every playthrough was "muh unique level", because, yes, they DID feel samey in a sense.

What made it fun was that the game WAS fun because everything worked. It was a fundamentally good game, with fundamentally good game mechanics, incentives to give a shit and just about everything that Nu-males Sky lacks.

IMO it's much better to generate on more of a macro-level like that, with a collection of pre-fabs that are pieced together. Then it all depends on having enough pre-fabs and having the right conditions be met for what is pieced together when and where.

And it must be said, that for a game that came out in the early nineties, TJ&E was pretty damn revolutionary.

It might be my nostalgia bias speaking since I played it as a kid on a genesis, but still.

Played a lot of this game, yet to try the first one.

Genesis version:1991

I heard that sound waves are the basis/patterns/templates for all things in the universe.

Modern physics are some really convoluted mess. Some proponents defend that everything in the universe is a particle, while others defend that everything in the universe is a wave.

Saved because I found it funny

Tesla proved that the universe is made of Sound waves.

modern science is just now catching up.

the universe does not exist until it is observed.

Sounds like a 10/10 to me.

Observed by whom? Who is capable of creating existence simply by observation?

Like with light they may just say it has the properties of both a particle and a wave.

why, my peenus weanus of course :) hahaha! its my weeeeeenus peanus! haha. my answer is, of course, my peanus weenus :D

when a human eye observes something, it changes from wave to particle. your brain is so powerful it interprets these particles into objects and physical reality.

Not him but that's is pretty much the issue here. Quantum mechanics have demostrated that the very moment you try to look at a particle it affects what form it takes. So it would be more of a thing as if everything is "codificated" and that unless it is watched by itself it doesn't take a form, but that form is just a fake to form some kind of order.

This is all theory tho and just looks good for literature. That's why so many people use the Shrodinger cat for books and shit

Also I need sleep, now reading myself I discover it doesn't make any fucking sense and it's full of typos but I'm too tired to explain it properly

kek

That's very centrist thinking. Surely there are other life forms out there, why would we be the ones who create the universe around us? Are you saying stars didn't exist until we looked upwards? I think the idea of a god who observes and was the original observer (and thus creator of all) is far more plausible.

You're taking the word "observe" too literally. A better word would probably be "interact". Nothing is certain until there is interaction between elementary particles, forces, whatever.

Man was made in gods image, man is god and creator of the universe around us.

we may be a simulation

it will squash our physics since its not fitting in the fake laws they created for the universe.

I think you misunderstood me: these things will be removed by later models of physics and are actually indications of the failure of our current models. De Broglie-Bohm theory is already beginning to show this.

By those standards, Russian roulette is a fundamentally good game with great mechanics (hello insta-kill mystery box, enemies faster than you, collect-a-ton of ship pieces, obscure and hidden passage ways)

Go replay it. It's painful.

Science was taken over by Jews for along time now. real science is not thought to the public.

they wanted a Jew to be known as the smartest man in the world, that is where Eisenstein came in, even though he couldn't read and never went to school.

so they push this bullshit narrative that everything Einstein said was true, and even make up science to push his theories as fact. when reality says that all his theories were false.

To me it seems like the simplest explanations are far more likely to be true. We have only observed things from a limited perspective and tried to build mathematic models that explain the behaviors, but there must be a base form that all existence derives from. Once we discover it, I think it's safe to say the majority of our current physics theories will be thrown out the window.

To everyone discussing popsci misinterpretations: "observation" in this context truly means interaction. Remember these experiments are done through collisions with atoms and lasers, and the human eye isn't involved in the process at all.

in the past we used to use observational science, science that we observed to be true or created tools to observe and prove to be true.

today we create theoretical science, science made out of mathematics with no basis on reality.

We actually know very little about how the universe works, to the point where rather major breakthroughs happen several times a decade and have been for probably several centuries now.
I wouldn't be surprised if in a thousand years we still weren't fully sure.

I see you're not a statistician.

Please go back to ancient Greece. Also, there are very few "simple" explanations once you get past your first year of college physics. I'd very much like you to explain both aero and thermodynamics in a simple manner.

Remember Spore, user?
Everyone else remembers it.
And we're all too bitter to let No Man's Sky tug on our heart like Spore did.

So we mock it, to ease the pain.

I'm no expert on the matter. What I'm saying is that while the explanation may be very complicated now, it's because we have only observed the effect and not the cause. Once we have discovered the base form fuck you faggot it would be easier and more intuitive to explain all resulting effects in different interactions.

Uncertainty isn't going to be removed at all: what's going to go is everything derived from intellectual laziness, lack of justification and unprovable theories, which is actually a large chunk of modern physics. There are problem back in CLASSICAL physics such as the self-field of an electron that remain unsolved because everyone jumped ship to the hot new topic of quantum mechanics when it emerged.

That would probably make a better game

Even 1 well made planet sounds better than infinite randomly generated ones

didnt mean to sage

And people laugh at me when I say quantum physics are overrated and won't probably produce anything practical in quite a long time. But some physicists are happy with that, and in fact one of my friends has specifically decided to go through theoretical physics exclusively because it has no practical applications, because it's "cooler".

I mean, wasn't M-theory developed because some bored guys wanted to make a radically different theory of the universe? As in, let's just try to explain everything and then some by making shit up until it sounds plausible. How can people blindly believe what two guys made up just so they could have their cake and eat it? Why do people take science fanfiction or mental wankery as the absolute truth? To me this seems like a waste of time, although that may be because I am more of an engineer.

Also, whenever you see any science divulgators aka popsci guru media outlets report on something about quantum physics, check the fucking source first. I remember a "theory of consciousness" article that linked to an arxiv document that seemed to be explained in a relatively convoluted manner (because that makes it look more legit), and at the end of the paper the author admitted he "required no sources or references" because he made it all up. Watch out because there truly is a business in making barely scientific stuff that sounds good but is actually all bullshit.

but by making shit up and sounding cool they get massive amounts of funding.

its all about money.

I came here to post this

I don't have a problem with people theorizing ideas that have no apparent application: paper and computational power is cheap. I have a problem when it is considered the truth before it's even been tested, even worse if it can't be tested at all. And I remember when there was a popsci buzz for a week or so when some crank published a paper about how the unvierse can be simulated with a 'gyre'.

( Technically true IRL. )

We need to archive this thread to see if one of us called out the ending.

Can one of the smart people in this thread explain to me how they map a universe and how you exactly determine the center of the galaxy?

Some years ago, when I was 6 or 7, I saw an article about a guy who claimed that people who thought their lives were passing by faster or that their time "flew away like nothing" claimed that they weren't crazy and that in fact, time was accelerating due to quantum woo and that we would soon reach a state of extreme acceleration to the point we would be unable to enjoy life. Even being the lazy little shit I was, I immediately knew that was so stupid it had to be bullshit, but that didn't stop people from thinking it was true because, if I recall correctly, he had a physics degree.

Shit makes me mad, but I think what really grinds my gears are popsci hacks that don't know how to explain shit, and people who believe themselves to be enlightened for blindly trusting what these "scientists" (aka science divulgators, aka not real scientists) badly explain. Remember that explanation of relativity based on someone having a different perception of time depending on whether they were sitting alone or next to a hot woman? Shit was so dumb and incorrect it puts "monads are burritoes" to shame.

there is no center,

" people determine the center through big bang theory, the origin of the universe is where it exploded from."

Galaxies have centers, see pic 1.
The universe doesn't. On this 2-D map of the surface of the earth, can you point to the center of the earth? You cannot. There's a similar higher dimensional analogy for the universe being the surface of some shape, and the center of that shape exists but is inside the shape, not upon it surface, and so the universe has no center.

Was this person talking about stands too?

Back before Introversion got around making Prison Architect they had another game in development. It was called Subversion, and IIRC it was pretty much about you and your squad wrecking shit in a city.

Now, the kicker was that the city was procedurally generated, so were the buildings, the rooms, and basically every mechanical device in the game was made up of components you could interact with.

So, for example, if you wanted to open up an electronic door you could hack it, cut the power, cut out the magnetic locks, etc.

Now, for the interesting part, Introversion being smart guys, they took a doctoral dissertation by some dude or other about the algorithms that govern how cities expand and are built, and you basically get pic related.

What I'm trying to say is that procedural generation can work if you use the right math and physics, and as you say, spice it up with handmade content throughout.

Realized I actually didn't answer your question. The observable universe is mapped by simply observing it with telescopes, and as you can imagine the further things are away, the more difficult it is to observe them.It's also worth mentioning that we don't know anything about a huge sector of the universe, everything in the plane of the milky way, which makes it unfeasible to see past it. Centers of galaxies are very often visually apparent because if it were elsewhere, the distribution of stars would be different. That is, there is a higher density of stars around the center in most galaxies (except for ring galaxies).

It's completely arcade.

House of the Dying Sun is complete arcade too, yet it manages to be fun, this piece of shit just looks like Fisher's Price: My First Space "Sim".

That fucking funfair organ needs to be the ending theme of everything, regardless of what happened in the show or game.

It's going to be a shitty fucking mirror and you find out that you are actually a nigger

I don't see how this will even be as good as Spore considering you could make more than dinosaurs in that game.

it reminds me of tom and jerry

I couldn't think of something more terrifying even if I tried.

*Faint "HHUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" in the distance*

There is no God.

I see, this raises a few further questions as to how the area of the big bang would have developed over the existence of time.
What would the area of the big bang look now?

Thank you

WEW

That's Spore for you.

The only thing they did before No Man's Sky was Joe Danger though, they are an utterly unremarkable dev team.

Xhe is a tranny actually.

Hm. I wonder why they went for such a big project with so little experience under their belt then?

Underrated

Sony is flailing around like a retard and happened to touch this shit

The dev might not have anything under the belt, either.

I'm sure they can fashion her a sausage so she can play pretend.

Either that or she can stuff a sock in there.

In TJ&E, all levels were kept in memory because you could fall off the edge and have to find the elevator again. The gifts were randomized each time and featured a range of interesting powerups. There was always a risk of finding the randomizer, which is why the carrot-man, one of many NPCs came in handy. You could also buy gifts or powerups from other NPCs.

The only reason why it's painful is because you've played it since the 90s. It was mind-blowing at that time, in depth, relatively speaking compared to other games at the time.

Of course, if a similar game was released today, we would expect more.

I know I had hours of fun re-playing that game as a kid. To me it was one of the games that helped define couch co-op. But again, nostaligia bias. I will admit partly to that.

Yes! That's the point!

Nu-males Sky is shooting too big in scope. A whole planet is too much, and then you have billions of them. It all becomes too anonymous and lacking of depth.

Something fixed like a city creates boundaries wherein you can define things more specifically and create variation that makes sense in the context of the game.

Not just planets with different colors and climates. Once you've seen one area of that planet, you've pretty much seen all of it. And we can pretty much conclude that this is the case since this close to release they still have shown nothing of interest despite having put out all their trailers.

Yeah, but you couldn't name your planets!
Oh, wait. Fugg.

The difference is that some people actually liked TJ&E, nobody will remember No Lands Spy in a few years, or if they do it'll be "Noctis 4 without the charm".

30 years later and that game is still GOAT, regardless of platform. Although I think the computer versions (DOS, Amiga and so on) are superior personally to the Genesis version.

There's one problem with your observation, these guys are not Introversion nor are they particularly clever.

Butthurt PC babies mad because they can't get to play yet another PS4 exclusive

Does your tiny ass still hurt from Bloodborne? xd

You seem to have posted in the wrong thread, friendo

Eh, that's OK. I've already played this one about 15 years ago.

What really irks me is not the procedural generation crap. It's a novelty and a "cheap" way to litter the gameworld with planets and critters that at least have some variety to them.

What really pisses me off, as said, is that this fucking genre hasn't move forward since Frontier 2 came out in the mid 90s.

It's fucking embarrassing they can't make a proper space sim anymore, despite all the money being throw at them and all the ongoing projects.

Fuck it, I'll go back to playing Space Rangers.

I'm just saying, there's nothing inherently bad about procedural generation, it's always the developers that fuck up the implementation.

Introversion basically scrapped/froze Subversion development when they realized the game was too complex and ambitious for them, and Introversion has some pretty smart programmers in their team.

This is embarrassing. Bait shouldn't go this far

You mean First Encounters or Elite 2? Doesn't matter I guess, they are both quite similar.

But yeah, we are still mid-90s tier at best. We have proper 3D galaxies now at least, I suppose, but the gameplay's been largely stagnant. Even the most recent Elite game, while they are doing some neat stuff with planet terrain, still dumped Newtonian flight for the Elite 1 model plus inertia. Not to mention that it's basically FFE w/ crafting.

And it's only competition, Space Engine, still doesn't have much in the way of gameplay, nor does it model cyanobacteria so you can't find a habitable planet as of the current publicly available build. Oh, there is complex multicellular life, but on CO2 atmosphere worlds. And for that matter the terrain renderer is starting to look a bit long in the tooth. But hey, at least there are black holes with accretion disks now, just like there were in Microsoft Space Simulator back in the mid 90s again!

And then you have everything else, which either does not try to model a galaxy or the physics that bind it together. Like Shekel Citizen looks like its going to do, if it ever is released or indeed if it does anything they've claimed it will do.

I agree. You can do some neat stuff with it, if you know your limitations are aren't doing something too stupid.

Most of the procedural generation used today is basically scaled up copies of the stuff we saw in the mid-90s, again. It looks better, but back then people were willing to give the random nature a pass since the IPC wasn't there to do what needed to be done to take it to the next step. Now that we have that kind of horsepower, people are getting lazy and rehashing the same old shit, just more of it.

I'm not surprised though as there's really very little talent left in the industry anymore.

Fuck this is god damn triggering me
The Universe as we know it has no literal center. Center of the galaxy sure, but the Universe? Fuck right off.

The message follows: __ur a faget__

I wouldn't really care that much about proper physics if they made the game fun. Trying to shoehorn realistic space navigation physics when you have space fighters seems a tad silly to me.

House of the Dying Sun is a pretty neat little game, very limited in scope sadly, but with interesting mechanics and art direction that would really have been neat as a sanbox experience.

Isn't there Rogue System though?

My bait, your butthurt at your inability to ever play this game or any other exclusives

Monolith

I don't buy what you wrote but anyone worth their salt knows tesla>einstein
And tesla wasn't even the smartest lad around

Fuck this actually hyped me up

producer of the album is dead, died of illness

No good deed goes unpunished.

I would think of the big bang as the only 'white hole' to ever exist in the universe, since it would be the origin of all substance, spewing matter (or exotic particles that eventually become matter as entropy increases) out in all directions.
This raises a few interesting questions, like

its fundamentally in the fabric of the universe.

What if the death of a white hole causes it to go inverse and become a black hole

It isn't so much "destroy" with black holes as "compress it into a space so unbelievably-tiny and dense at the same time that it completely raped our notions of how light speed and gravity should work when we first found one". Everything that gets sucked in still exists inside, it's just compacted to an insanely-small point that generates inescapable (light can't beat it, and we're stumped on what could possibly be faster than light, thus far) gravity, and becomes impossible to retrieve as a result. Same goes in reverse for white holes, near as we can tell without one in view to closely-study, meaning we could be wrong as hell: Something tangible and finite within it gets shot out into open space, it doesn't just create shit out of thin air.

A white hole being a yet-unobserved later stage of the phenomenon we call black holes, or alternatively what happens when a supermassive black hole collapses, would make sense based on our knowledge, because it'd mean that it sucked all kinds of shit in as a black hole before spewing it back out when it went white by whatever means. A white hole in this case would be what happens when a singularity (the black hole's "center" that is responsible for its behavior) is switched to "blow" instead of "suck". Considering that the Big Bang is an event that's described as a perfect-reversal of how black holes work, with an impossibly-tiny plus dense point in space spewing matter and energy in every possible direction in one big boom rather than slowly drawing it in, it's reasonable to assume that a white hole might be what made our universe.

One other neat thing to think about is that white holes and black holes might not actually be two forms of one thing that can coexist in a single universe, but rather interconnected like the two ends of a vacuum hose or the human digestive system, and never encountered together. One end sucks in whatever shit gets too close to the gravitational field, the other end blows it back out again, and having the intakes be in the middle of matter and energy-rich existing universes for ample material, while the outputs spit out new universes into emptiness that are born from the collected random crap might be a functional process. Everything that gets sucked into a black hole could very well be fucked-with enough in the process to produce the kind of exotic matter we theorize to have formed the basis of our universe's birth, and a white hole could then release this exotic matter in a single massive burst when it forms for a brief instant, thereby creating a fuckhuge and highly energetic explosion that re-collapses the hole and results in a new universe as the final product.

>not benis

actually black holes rip apart objects into their base atoms and expel it on the other side. they may reappear on the other side as a whole object or it may rip it apart.

I cannot wait for the tears and damage control. Even when you explain why it's gonna be the same shit spraypainted an assortment of nausea-inducing colors they still cling onto hope. It's a lake the size of a galaxy with the depth of a puddle.

As someone whose ability to be optimistic died with Spore, it feels good knowing this is going to be so many people's SporeBound 3D.

Actually, the matter pulled into a black hole DOES escape, but it does so in the form of Hawking radiation.

also it was a joke

Fucking Kids I swear

What you're referring to is the double slit experiment, and the term "observe" is generally taken too literally here.
"Observe" in this case means measurement, and not necessarily "conscious observer" in the context of this experiment; i.e. they didn't test to see if a conscious observer changes the results, nor would they ever as it doesn't match the current academic paradigm.

As, when the photon/electron is "observed" (measured) when passing through the slit it demonstrated a concise pattern that makes sense (distribution of particles that matches the slits).
However, when it is "unobserved" (not measured), then it demonstrates an odd pattern (wave pattern).
It is theorized that the "particle" is actually a wave when passing through the slit(s), so it passes through both slits at the same time, and creates an inference pattern due to the waves bouncing off eachother on the otherside when passing through the slit; hence creating a "wave pattern" (inference pattern).

Now… if you want to see some 'weird shit that is based around the "observer effect" look at the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment.
Basically, it appears to be a time paradox in our modern understanding, due to the use entangled particles to effect the (shared) superposition state of these particles; which only breaks down into a particle/wave due to the delayed choice of measuring/not measuring one or another of these entangled particles that the results have already been recorder for (i.e. it IS a wave pattern for one particle that is entangled and has been recorded, but the other entangled particle is still passing through the experiment and hasn't been recorded, so hence you can measure/not measure to change the pattern to a particle pattern of that FIRST recorded/entangled particle).
I.e. it appears that a choice made in the present, can change the results from the past, and can be experimentally confirmed as the results are repeatable.
e.g. in one case you don't measure that second entangled particle passing through the experiment (used to measure or not measure), and the first recorded pattern from the entangled particle is a wave pattern.
In the second case you measure that second entangled particle, and the first recorded pattern is a particle pattern.
So, it appears that the "observer effect" is a sort of effect that arises only to "gather" information even if that information gathered had to seemingly travel back in time to change the recorded results to the steps taken in the experiment.
Now that, is some weird shit.

That's just a thought experiment though, and is best compared to the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment.

Pretty much.
As most theoretical models are in the race to determine the correct theory determining what the fuck dark matter/energy is (i.e. that missing piece explaining why the universe is expanding, missing mass we can't account for, etc), and hence how to experimentally determine what it is (as we've proven it exists, due to the experimentally confirmed expansion of the universe, due to modern laws says the universe shouldn't be expanding, and missing mass (hence energy, such as energy in the vacuum) we can't account for).
As, when you see those articles saying "dark matter still unconfirmed after experiment", it's because they were testing a particular theory that says "this is how you experimentally confirm 'my version' of dark matter".

So, once we determine what this is, and how to experimentally confirm it; then all of the other theories that can't contribute to expanding this theory are essentially tossed out (unless we're talking about general relativity here).

Exactly

That was a P4rgaming article.

Would have made Bioshite: Infinite's ending vastly more satisfying.

wew

moar

dark matter is just Aether, they changed the name because they didn't want to admit what it was.

Found the millennial.

Stupid faggot complains about no female Space Marines.

>NO MAN'S SKY

Please, tell me some of you have it.

No, Vivian!!! You're supposed to play video games, not snort crack!

Eww

THAT IS A LIE

I've seen so much worse to be phased by a nose ring.
Why do you find it disgusting anyway?

nu-male beta cuck

Is that Chris-chan rubbing his wound vagina?

No, there are some people trying to push that it's CWC, but it's not him.

W-Where did the cock

He still has it, he just has a wound under his balls.

W-Wait
Hold the fuck up
How can he
How do one orgasm
When rubbing underball

That's pus and blood user.

That video isn't Chris, but the guy in it probably has that hole going down to his prostate glands.

A botched piercing on his taint caused an abscess, which he thinks is a vagina forming because he's listening to Hypno Wizard Trans beats or some shit, and since he apparently ejaculates trough it, this shit is clearly a fucking fistula between his taint and his urethra.

THAT VIDEO ISN'T CHRIS

TL;DR nigga gon die of septic shock if it keeps up

This. From the smallest to the largest structures we can visualize, the universe is vast areas of nothingness studded with denser clusters.

There's no "center" to the universe in a way that we could meaningfully detect.

Here, watch Powers of Ten, it's much cooler than No Man's Sky will ever be.

i dont wanna hear, read or see anything like that. all i do is have nightmares, i wake up to try to escape them

dailymotion.com/daymeeuhn

LEAKS IMMINENT

dailymotion.com/video/x4mew4e_opening-credits-intro_videogames

dailymotion.com/video/x4mf13s_first-planet-exploration_videogames

GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE

IT'S FUCKING NOTHING

GALACTIC SALT PARTY WHEN?

When the center of the galaxy is leaked also that fucking vid. This shit looks so fucking bad and annoying.

O N E P L A Y E R
N
E

P
L
A
Y
E
R

I'm a sucker for armless bipedal robots, but not even that could make me play this game.

moa is just pants

Adorable pants.

how did i not see this before

Its because "procedually generated space 'sims'" are the new trend. Funnily enough, they made a better game than Frontier (Elite: Dangerous devs).

I mean fuck, I love space games since Freelancer, but this revival is fucking scarying, i hope it doesnt crash due to shitty devs.

Looks like it got a huge downgrade too

You should just expect downgrades at this point.