Ghost of A Tale

Mouse game just came out in early access. Don't buy it. I'll post a magnet when I find one.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamersyde.com/news_our_videos_of_ghost_of_a_tale-18158_en.html
forum.canardpc.com/threads/78805-Ghost-of-a-Tale
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Here's a magnet for the gog version
d4cb0acd62a20b7d4e97f5467adfcb39fe5defe4

The camera looks kinda wonky.

Wait, you're the dev?

Looks cool, graphics and animations are majestic, almost like 2000-tier 3d animated movie by pixar or some shit.

It seems like the developer used substance designer. I mean holy shit, it looks beautiful, is this unreal or cry engine?

No not at all. Just a faggot.

It is but I got used to it after awhile.
Game honestly surprised me, looks great, stealth is OK but the AI needs improvement, lore is legitimately deep for a game about animals.

Seems like it's a hidden gem. Wish I could know more about the dev, although I don't believe an sjw could do this type of work.

the dev team is five people at most and I think they're Eurofags.
also there's stuff like how the mice speak their native tongue to spite the Rats (who occupy them) as a form of defiance because their culture / heritage is being eroded, I don't think these are SJWs

I'm liking this a lot.

Looks super cute

Drink bleach, furry
>>>/oven/

Are you legitimately stupid? Do you call people that love dogs degenerates as well?

But whats the combat like?

Yes.

I'd tell you to kill yourself but you're probably already working on that.

You guys are pretty funny. Wanna yiff?

No but seriously, this looks very well made. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Op. I fucking love adventure games.

not even for free

Looks surprisingly good. I am gonna give it a shot thanks for the link op.

Lier. I bet you pirated cisquisition and enjoyed it for free. :^)

Cancer, my man.

Bro. Have you seen the collage image about the dice head dev having a thesis related to Marxism???

This shit is serious. It sucks having to consider the developer's political affiliation when it comes to spending money, but if I don't want my games to end up having transsexual protagonist and gay shit at every corner, then I'll have to do just that.

Also, fuck you.

I watched the gameplay videos on gamersyde yesterday, took this screencap. The footage is way better than that youtube guy who doesn't even make it outdoors:

gamersyde.com/news_our_videos_of_ghost_of_a_tale-18158_en.html

Really interesting level design, big inventory, likable lore stuff - I NEVER bother with lore and here I paused the video to read almost all texts! Then I like how they wasted zero dollars on voice acting and I hope it stays that way. And I like it has stealth without the old operator as fuck OHK from the back of every NPC that seems to be mandatory in stealth games since last-gen. It also doesn't have that hivemind alert cancer (one enemy knowing where you are means they all know). Guards are slow to begin with, and will stop searching for you almost immediately once you break line of sight. These guys can't be arsed, who cares about one mouse escaping, this job doesn't even pay well, whatever. It fits the theme of you being small, insignificant in this big world and NOT a leet operator they all piss their pants over.

I won't play it until it's a finished product but it's looking very, very promising imo.

This second screencap is from gameplay #4 at 4:23.

The rare Pepe couldn't have been on purpose could it?

for those gnuslashlinux fags can confirm it works well on my rig.

I just want to chime in and say that I finished what was in this game so far except for I think 2 side objectives (collecting the ranger set and getting two more tarot cards). It took roughly 3 hours, and according to the devs on the steam forums, this is around 25% of the game.

At a certain point, I just simply didn't care about being spotted and starting sprinting around everywhere with my giant pool of stamina (your stats increase when you have a full clothing set on). What I noticed was how easy it was to simply run away from whatever rat saw you and hide. The minute you have the chance to break line of sight and find a place to "hide," whether it's a closet, barrel, whatever, all rats immediately break chase and go back to their normal routines.

What this meant was I ran around the entire map unopposed, so any semblance of stealth was unnecessary if you knew all the locations to hide. You run, rats see you, rats slowly chase after you, you turn a corner or simply break vision, hide, rats go away, repeat. Even if you're in the animation of entering something that you can hide in, it will count as if you're already hidden, so there's no worry of the rats grabbing you out of your hiding spot. The game won't even allow you to enter a hiding spot if a rat sees you, so you know you're okay when it gives you an option to hide.

Now, with that being said, all they would have to do to fix this is increase the movement speed, attack animations, and damage output of the rats so that actively running around is suicide. The game visually looks great, and there's a surprising amount of lore if you're into that sort of thing.

Make no mistake, however: this is a stealth game, not a souls game, and the stealth is pretty easy to break. If this game turns into a combat game later (being able to use a sword or something to defend yourself), they gave no hint at it during this first part of the game.

Nigger Souls ARE edgy Zelda clones to begin with.

I think it's that easy on purpose. Wouldn't it be tedious if you had to sneak everywhere, in areas you already know? If they buffed the rats they would also have to increase your sneaking speed or it would get too boring sneaking back and forth on the same routes. Backtracking is absolutely insufferable in a stealth game where you can't dispose of enemies (one of the big reasons for the OHK from the back feature in most games, probably) - unless stealth is sort of a side feature and the main features are exploration, collecting things and talking to NPCs. I know suggesting that stealth could ever be easy by design comes with the taste of heresy after we've had to see the genre itself ruined by "accessibility" but think about it this way: Would you say the little platforming elements are too easy? In a pure platformer that stuff should be hard to pull off and failure should be punished severely. Same for being detected in a pure stealth game. But not every game that features elements from either genre has to carry those torches, that's on the pure games. So while it's a mortal sin for Ubisoft to turn Splinter Cell into Gears of War Tacticool Edition imo it's perfectly acceptable for a new fantasy adventure game with deepest lore to go light on the stealth aspect.

Two decisive questions:
Subjectively, did/do you want this game to be about stealth?
Objectively, do you think the other features make it worth playing once the player has figured out that the stealth is almost never a real obstacle?

is this just like a Redwall game or what?

Since OP is such a faggot and hasn't posted a magnet yet, I will.

The original dev is a baguette-fag, here is a thread he made 3 years ago on a baguette vidya forum I browse: forum.canardpc.com/threads/78805-Ghost-of-a-Tale
I don't know anything about the rest of his team though.

Turns out the dev has a background in animated movies. Read the kikepedia article, it's quite interesting. He's been working on this game for 4 years now and it's actually running in UNITY.

i'm 90% sure it was unity, at least it was when the original demo videos were out

i try not to get hyped about games any more but this seems really interesting, hopefully it doesn't end up in development hell like

THE WORK OF ONE WHO CONSORTS WITH BEASTS

i wish overgrowth wasn't dead/run by a numale, the character controls were great

what the fuck ISTHIS ABOUT
AND DO NOT FUCKING SAY

it looks more like a third person stealth game tbh

That shit's still in Alpha. How fucking long has it been in development?

You're a little mouse who can't really fight. Your enemies are huge rats. You collect items including clothing like you would in a RPG, altering your stats. There's light stealth, light platforming and plenty of conversations like you expect from a traditional adventure game. Also plenty of random lore going on. It's one of those "atmospheric" games. It's definitely not like Dark Souls because combat doesn't seem to be the solution. Early demos hint that combat will be possible later on but you'll likely never become powerful in combat and it may remain optional (just run past enemies).

Shit like this used to make me despair. Now it just motivates me to be a better developer than these cunts.

People for some weird reason fail to realize that you can stealth and run past enemies in Zeldas and Soulses too.

7 years.

The completely contradictory nature of these delusions is baffling. You've got be swimming in a sea of estrogen to believe any part of it. How can he think rationally enough to be a programmer while at the same time falling for every last bit of transparent nonsense he encounters. Is he a trust fund babby paying secret Pajeets to do the work while he gets the credit?? Something's gotta give there.

Game is interesting, though it lacks polish and stealth is so far practically meaningless how hilarious it is to avoid capture. It has impressive ambient, characters, lore and writing. I was honestly surprised and moved by the npcs I met in the game, and actually having to look around the environments to find keys instead of them being labelled HEY LOOK HERE PICK THIS UP like in modern games was refreshing. There are also a few stupid design decisions like the game not allowing you to interact with certain things unless you have a light source; which is fine if only the game fucking said "it is too dark to see!" so you knew what was wrong.

Worth a pirate. And I might buy the game when the paycheck comes around.

The magnet is the second post in the thread you retard.

The animations look pretty good, but
Nope.

which is even stranger, since the game's been in the works for like 4 years now

Well it depends on how big the team is and if it was the only thing they did (not having another job or something). It takes time to produce something with a small time that is not another zombie survival. I mean, there could be legit reasons why it is not completely, but then just don't make it available for buying. I have never bought or even played Early Access. Not gonna start now.

This is giving me some huge Guard Mouse vibes. Anyone know if that lazy bum of an artist is ever going to do Spring?

I've been pondering this for a while now, and I think, subjectively, I'm not sure I want this game to be a stealth game because, objectively, I'm not sure how well invested people will be when they figure out there's really no reason to stealth at all. The thing that has been irritating me about what I played was that this section of the game felt a lot more like a "stealth mission," i.e. something like Gears of War where you can disguise yourself in Locust gear and can "stealth" through a section that simply becomes more shooting behind chest high walls if you're seen.

It's funny that I bring up Gears when you also bring up the newer Splinter Cell games which I did enjoy for what they were, but I just wish they simply used a different name and be original instead of trying to get sales solely through the IP, but this might actually help explain what I mean. Stealth in the new Splinter Cell is much more forgiving, BUT, and this is the most important part here, the lack of depth to the stealth is replaced with the chest high wall gunplay. Sure, the gunplay here isn't in depth either, but that's what happens when you try and do everything at once. Regardless, there's still something there to keep it somewhat entertaining if you manage to royally fuck up stealth.

The problem that Ghost of a Tale has right now is that it's suffering from Splinter Cell easy mode stealth but has NO other gameplay mechanics to replace it with when shit goes south. Instead, when the stealth no longer becomes stealth, it turns into simply running around for RPG style fetch quests, story, and lore. The enemies then become obstacles that slow you down and waste time from you running around talking to people and finding things. I would also say that the platforming, what little of it there was, was certainly easy; however, it's not really a central part of the main gameplay loop which is stealth. You never really have to jump around to dodge enemies or to stealth besides jumping over a wall to make the run a few seconds quicker.

You are right though: it would get incredibly boring fast if the enemies got buffed and you could only stealth, and that's why I think this game might be fundamentally flawed if it was trying to be just a stealth game with larger, open environments that you constantly moved back and forth between Styx does it better. The levels are fairly large, but you always have to get from point A to B with something to do as a side objective along that path. Combat is very simple because it's not the main focal point, and anything beyond one guy is basically death. The platforming here is also a major part of the stealth too, with multiple paths to take to keep to the shadows and to traverse the multiple layers each level has. It's why I do wish there was some combat to the game, and sure, a souls style might make sense here. However, I would say that if they did that, they would have to put more emphasis on 1v1 fights because of how small and insignificant you are compared to the enemies. 1v1 should be tough if you've been seen, and it should be suicide to take on more than one at a time.

Game looks gorgeous.

Somebody played on something other than highest difficulty and should be ashamed. There is NO combat in Styx as it is meant to be played.

The early demo for GoaT…. wait, holy shit. How has noone pointed that out? Couple that with frogs and Holla Forums-tier lore and you know the creator is one of us. Any way, the early demo had combat animations but it didn't seem like you could really defeat anyone, seemed futile. I would assume you get better weapons throughout the mid to late game and eventually combat becomes viable. Just my guess.

But again, I actually like the idea of a game where the "enemies" are just moving obstacles you dodge while running around the place. Since when is sneaking everywhere slowly fun? Fun in pure stealth games comes from TECHNOLOGY like all those gadgets in Splinter Cell and special movement mechanics like Fisher's infamous split in narrow corridors. Fun comes from outsmarting AI in creative ways, not from slowly moving around one danger zone after another with no additional tricks. Modern stealth has been reduced to a slow motion Pacman and none of it is ever fun. I'd rather play the logical conclusion - a game where stealth is almost entirely optional, rather than modern "stealth" games that turn into Gears of War cover shooting or Arkman's Creed melee when you fail stealth. A game that does this could be good or bad, depending on what else you do in it. If there's other stuff to keep you engaged then it's perfectly fine to leave stealth superficial and inconsequential.

Actually very disappointed, you don't have cute animal game set in a grim world without some suitably cruel ways of dying.

Also combat is off the ropes but not so fussed about it if the rest of the game holds up.

just beat the game that we have so far and I'm already feeling withdrawal. I'v only seen some a couple of minor bugs. vary polished for a early access. but man i haven't felt this teased since MGS ground zeroes.

Fuck you, stuttering is a fucking speech impediment. The use of stuttering as a sign of nervousness is goddamn lazy writing.
When a nervous person speaks, they have a tendency to repeat some things that they say because they're not sure if they said them clearly enough, which isn't even close to how lazy assholes write it.

It's the difference between
Stuttering and
nervous retreading.

I know there's something wrong with me because I shouldn't be pissed off at something this insignificant.

For what I know, there's actually a spring but is was just a side comic for the Free comicbook day with no relation to the other two books.
So yeah still waiting to that soon™

Also there's a movie in the works

You can update to build 1.52 by selecting to opt into the alpha. The rat guard AI is in overdrive on that build.

I'm kind of amazed i can run this at 1440p

MOUSE PUSSY

clever