Detective Games

Which game makes you feel most like a detective?

Pic not related

Asscreed unity, surprisingly, did its investigations right. You actually have to consider the clues and choose the culprit. It's not like, say, Witcher 3 where you basically just look for the shiny thing listening to geralt showing off his ebin detective skills with no input on your part.

Sherlock Holmes: Crime & Punishment

Sherlock gives his input on a lot of things, but not everything. There's actually an oversight where Holmes state a completely wrong conclusion. You can fail too and continue the game without even knowing if you don't cheat, but the mysteries aren't hard to figure out.

Snatcher.
And hopefully the game I'm working on when it's done

In terms of being a detective game, Witcher 1 act 2 did a much better job than 3.
The only detective quest in 3 where you can actually fuck up your investigation is the Priscilla one.

Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

i stopped the story in Deadly Premonition on a day where the game is in complete free roam and followed all of the characters around. everyone has a schedule that they follow throughout the day, which is also dependent on the weather. certain behaviors reveal a lot of different things about the characters that the shitty story doesn't. that made me feel like a proper detective.

and then you fight chinese dollar-store blanca

Condemned would be my choice. Even though they aren't the best games ever I'm completely enthralled every time I play them.

Also Ace Attorney surprisingly since you're supposed to be a lawyer and the detective shit you do in them is illegal.

A proper open world Twin Peaks inspired detective game would be neat. I think Alan Wake was supposed to be a bit like that at some point.

Yeah. It was supposed to be an open world detective game, with its supernatural thing. It was scrapped at some point.

I still have somewhere an old gaming magazine from the time the game was announced

I'd like to play Microsoft, but I'm not too sure about Remedy anymore. Maybe they couldn't figure out how to make non-linear investigation in an open world work and instead of making the game linear with the open world as a hub of sorts they cut out of the fat.

*blame Microsoft

fuck that game, not only am i bad at geography i was way too fucking stupid to play that and still am

bamhamarmandham

Maybe the Thief games and things of that nature where you don't have big flashing obviously important notes and items to be found.

personally give me anything where i have to solve crimes in a traditional american logging or mining town, wholesome on top and seedy on the bottom, with a weird quirky city detective. no health, stamina and item management bullshit either.

How many of you have played this?

How the fuck did this got a T rating?

The rating system was a very new thing at the time, and also it was the 90's. PG-13 movies could have blood in them back then.

What's wrong with LA Noire?

That would be really neat.

Still, I wouldn't mind if the hypothetical game devs really had to add more "marketable" gameplay here and there and you'd have the option to shoot up some immigrant workers- I mean criminals or shady locals or what ever instead of proper investigation.

Westwood

I recently started playing the series for the first time. Started with the first game and I am now on day 4 in the third game. Here are my thoughts.
Really makes you feel like a detective, you gotta write shit in your notebook(like a true detective) and make sure you write it down carefully(I got stuck at one point because instead of Sonny Fletcher, I wrote Sony Fletcher). I also enjoyed the bribe and threaten options it added to the experience of you being a P.I. The graphics are dated, but it was cool to explore the almost barren world of California. I also enjoyed how you had two informants and one of them asked for money but gave you more accurate information. There were also a few red-herrings in your search for the truth, which was kinda neet. By the mid point you kinda figure out who is the true villain and what they want, but I think that is because they included in the manual the keywords OVERLORD, LAW AND ORDER, KEYCARD and KEYPASS. Overall quite good and would recommend.

Stripped a lot of the mechanics of the first game and made it into a classic 2D point and click adventure game. You don't need to write anything in this one since the game gives you the available keywords. I feel the story wasn't as good or intriguing and it didn't help that they stripped out the action sections. I did like, the hint system, I think more P&C games should have had this, but then people wouldn't have bought the magazines or subscribed to Sierra hot-line. Overall kinda meh, play it only if you want to play the entire series.

FMV is good(at least by the standards of that time), the graphics are also mind blowing, full 3D exploration of the environment. It took me a while to get used to the controls and mechanics. I am thankful that you have to write shit again in your notebook(especially the description of some suspects). Again the is a hint system and also a point system(using hints takes away from your score). The one complaint I have is the humor, I think they made the game and main character a bit too goofy, I understand that this is what they were going for, but in the first two games Text felt like a mean son of a bitch who wouldn't be afraid of entering in a gunfight against 30 armed gangsters, but here he immediately throws, in a goofy accident, his gun out of the window and some punk gets it. He is also kinda low-energy, beaten up, always asking for scraps and so on. Up until now I really enjoyed it, though it does feel like a rehash of the story of the first game but with the Crusade instead of Law and Order and with the ritual instead of project Overlord.

The Last of Us, because I spent hours trying to figure out how the fuck it got GotY awards at all.

You do know that you can turn off all the hints, minimap and glowing items in Witcher 3? Nobody is forcing you to play it like the fucking casual you are.

Arkham Asylum and Arkham City

Condemned 2, for the three hours it's actually good, has some interesting investigation set-ups.

Danganronpa would be a very good murder investigation game if it didn't over-rely on style and gimmicks.

Deadly Premonition does a great job of immersing you in the life of a detective on the case, even if the investigation has no logic attached to it.

It was basically a detective simulator, what more did you fucking want from it?

Cole thread?

It holds your hand too much. Characters draw conclusions themselves instead of letting you think and investigate.

Of course you'd like your hand to be held you fucking slut.

You have completely missed the point regarding why witcher 3 investigations are shit user.

Murder

Could you please give a short summary/review/opinion/recommendation for these games?

Ace Attorney games do it pretty well, though it's frustrating when you see something you know is important but you're forced to move at the pace the game wants you to.

Frogware Holmes games

The guy was complaining about the objectives glowing so you dont have to look around and investigate yourself. But you can turn that feature off.

I think the worst part is when you have a piece of evidence that you know disproves the prosecutor's claim, but can't find the right bit of testimony to present it on.
Case 2 of Apollo Justice was the worst for what you just said though. I already knew who did it and how they did it before the first day ended.

Fuck off gook.

Good shit

These two are really great.
Sadly apparently the source for Blade Runner is lost forever, so no updated version to hope for.

Especially Mean Streats was like "real" detective work. With taking notes, traveling around the city to interrogate witnesses.

I'm also at the moment at the third game, and it still is a lot of fun.
Really looking forward to the new one, that was one or two years ago released

There's also the testimonies that have multiple contradictions and you just have to guess which one is the one you need to attack.
Worst example is towards the end of the bonus case from the first game.

That last case was pretty fucking good though. Kinda tramples upon what is established throughout the rest of the series.
I've played up to Apollo Justice, and I'm playing through Edgeworth's first one now, and every ending so far has been pretty fucking spectacular, expect maybe Trials.
Though finding out that Iris had been playing as Dahlia the whole time except twice was pretty good.
Apollo's final case was pretty spectacular too. I remember seeing a picture of Trucy's mom and said that I was a fool for thinking it was Lamirior. Boy was I surprised.

Inquisitor is a pretty nice game, haven't finished it yet though.
You're basically an Inquisitor in a imaginary kingdom where you have tons of shit that happens like orcs coming to life, meteor and Fire from the sky. You works with the Holy Office to solve a murder of a merchant in an Inn, and that's pretty well done, the game doesn't hold your hand at all. You don't know if you're doing the right thing and the character is not Batman or Geralt.

The gameplay is close to a Baldur's Gate with less difficulty, simplified. You can be a priest, a Paladin or a Thief.

Trouble in terrorist town is the only game I have ever played that does a remotely good job of making you into a detective. Think of it as a universally better version of CLUE where the murderer actually has to plan the murder in addition to talking their way out of it. Of course it's cancer I'd you play it with the general gmod community, but if you have friends with gmod I would absolutely recommend setting up a game of TTT with at least 6 people (ideal is 11 or 12). It can sometimes be fun with randoms but only if you're lucky enough to not get 11 year olds.

That pissed me off to no end so I dropped it. you can get some godly items right at the start if you re-roll your first reward was too annoying.