ITT: Bad sequels to games with unrealized potential

Pics related.

Anything after pokemon gen 2

At least the later games were better.

most fishing is done earlier in the morning

I ain't baiting

So you have never played them?

you are right, pokemon's been pretty forgettable since gen 2. nothing of value.

The first game was a mediocre medieval RPG but it had a chance to become alright with sequels fixing some of the flaws of the first.

First they fucked up the sequel and then they added le LGBTQDBJSBSJSHSJSHSHSKDHSJHAHS+ characters in the third game so any and all criticism could be dismissed as trans/homophobic.

the first game didn't show much potential anyway.

I can never wash the shame of preordering that turd which was my first AND last preorder ever because i learned the hard way to never ever trust anyone, not even myself.

It was an "okay" experience.
Obviously shit if you compare it to Torment or Fo2 etc but for it's time it was a welcome change with the gameplay actually being quite decent especially with mods but even without them the AI was halfway decent.

I think the lore was okay too, especially dwarves were quite generic yet done interestingly enough with the bad parts pretty much being that it was yet another Bioware game so the overall writing/dialogue/plot was subpar with some okay to nice parts but mostly mediocre to cringey.
i've found it ironic too that Bioware really cant write romanceable females at all but their male characters atleast until DA2 have been atleast okay/5 if anything clearly they are staffed by nothing but western fujoshits and faggots

Darksiders II
The Darkness II

Could have expanded on the original but instead ruined everything.

Jesus you can't be more right about that. I'm still irritated just remembering how bad that game fucked everything up.

WE WUZ… were they mutants or what? AND SHIT!

God ME2 was such a letdown. We didn't need GEARS IN SPACE, we needed more tactical TPS and roleplaying. Fuck ME2.

This too. Man, you guys have a good knack for potential so far. Such a shame what was an interesting setting and set of powers became blackrage muh family.

What's wrong with Darksiders II?

b8

I liked the new powers, like the tentacles and viral bomb, but the story was fucking retarded and the protagonist is shit. Also they turned Mercer form a deadly psychopath to a moron

You're not wrong. Wasn't a bad game, but could have been so much more.

And we will never know how it was actually supposed to end. I should have quit by the end of the first one, so it would be open-ended like The Matrix (for which no sequels were ever made, you can't convince me otherwise).

Just not as good as first and wasted potential. I still played through it.

Fettel is literally the only reason to play this since he's bretty fun to play as.

The first Prototype was one of my favourite games and I sunk so much time into it, I still like to replay it every year because it's always so much fun. I remember playing their hulk game that Prototype was a reskin of and enjoying that too, they took a good game and made a new series with a new theme out of it while retaining the core gameplay, it was great.

Then they fucked up 2 completely. The only good thing I can say about it is that the tentacles and viral bomb were kinda fun but that's it. Nearly everything else was worse, not just the story or gameplay but even the fucking city was just a dead and empty place with nothing interesting in it. I loved just roaming the city in the first game and seeing how things went as I disguised myself as a soldier and joined a military patrol attacking a hive or something. It wasn't as alive as they had been hoping to make it but it was better than most open worlds.

There was so much room for improvement in a sequel. They could have built up their constant free roam city to be the living city they had hoped to make in the first game. They could have vastly improved the gameplay by giving you lots of customization of your powers and expanding the disguise system so that you can influence how the military acts in this dynamic living city.

Instead they reduced or outright removed most elements and casualized the combat. You don't have to balance the benefits of armour vs a shield anymore, you just hold the shield button to become immortal until you release it. You don't have to worry about fighting large mutants anymore because you just wait for the dodge prompt and press jump to do a special dodge out of the way. Did you have trouble with homing missles in the first game? Don't worry we made them have a very visible glowing laser they aim at you for a few seconds before firing so you have plenty of time to activate your shield and become immortal. Don't worry about using builds for cover or sneaking in to eliminate troublesome enemies beforehand, that was far too stressful for pro players such as yourself.

FUCK I HATE WHAT THEY DID TO THIS GAME

If Naughty Dog would have made a proper sequel to Jak and Daxter(i.e. one that just refined and improved upon everything in the original, and maybe had more content) it could have been the best platformer/collectathon on the PS2. Instead they made an edgy GTA clone.

I don't know why people single futhreer out as bad, F.E.A.R. 2 was equally terrible. in fact, I think futhreer had better gameplay.
both of them are dogshit compared to the original, though.

i think the original could've standed to have at least one more gameplay element in it; as it is now I think that its just too dull to bother completing

ME2 was a way better game than the first one

You rpgfags are dumb as fuck, as usual

Alma causes the ghost apocalypse in Extraction Point after resurrecting Fettel, nobody really knows what happens to Point Man though. Fear2-3 just ape the plots from Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate.

BORDERLANDS 2: THE THREAD.

lmao

Borderlands 1 was fantastic faggot, kill your self. Also the thread said nothing about being good regardless of the fact that Borderlands 1 was a phenomenal video game.

Fuck you, ME2 was shit. The only good thing about it was that it let me know that the series was dead after only 1 game.

VODE AN.

fucking casual mongoloids flooding this board

Dino Crisis in space, what the fuck, never heard of it, was it completely bad or did it at least have schlock value ?

yes you are arent you

Where do I begin.

thats all you casual faggots have ,numbers, you cant try to mob on the internet all you want, irl i destroy all you retards

Hell you know what? Pretty much most Ubisoft games?

I've got it but only played through the first few sections. Seems alright, a bit more actiony like DC2 was.(you can jump, with a jetpack) But
DINOSAURS IN SPACE

is a pretty funny concept

Hey at least it got the editor… a year after release.

I know that you are just shitposting and hoping for replies but this is just embarassing.

Project harder kid. Borderlands 1 is a good game, no matter how much you don't want it to be will not change it, there is pretty much no other game like borderlands; 2 and beyond is not worth a damn, I already specified that, but the first game is terrific. Good gameplay, suble/light story, polished mechanics, actual humor, good setting, good locations, good skills, good likable characters, believable world, story, charterers environment etc, well optimized/good performance, interesting guns. I could go on but I think you get it, if there is a game that is like Borderlands 1 but better by all means suggest it to me, I am willing to give it a try, but as of this very moment there are no "fps rpg loot-em-ups" that surpass Borderlands 1 and that includes the rest of the Borderlands series.

Wait never mind, I wasted my time you are retarded.
What the fuck world are you living in fucko?

It was way too much for KojiPro to handle given it being in dev hell, but what annoyed me the most about it was how much of the Metal Gear charm was stripped away from it, and how they had a gigantic world that was completely empty.

Not to say that DMC1 and DX are bad, but to say that their true potential was fully realized is dishonest

So Peace Walker was the one with unrealized potential?

What? They had LGBT characters in all three. 3 was just more obnoxious about it. Which is kinda annoying, but still not the least of the game's problems.

I agree, but I think ND went about it in a very bad way.

Amazing how the game actually does live up to the first one in parts, but completely shits itself in others, especially after you unlock shouting. Funny how it had that before Skyrim, like how 2006 Prey had portals before Portal.

If they had cut everything from the toy factory onwards and just made it a two-hour game, I'd honestly consider it superior to the original. Condemned 2 PC port with a decent framerate never ever, Condemned 3 never ever.

Did you even play the first game ?
And I gotta agree with , 2 was worse. 3 was stupidly cawadoodied but it had enough moments until the ending to float above 2 in quality.

it's basically black ops 0

after the peak that was Warrior Within, it could only go down hill from there

Dark Souls didn't need a sequel, much less two of them. Nonetheless, exploring the game's alleged "deepest lore" could have been interesting. Why not a game that takes place in Catarina, or Oolacile as the abyss is taking over?

A girl actually told me that before, that Inquisition was a superior product to 2 and that it was worth it

This is the only game I ever bought a physical copy of in my entire life. I played it for three hours total. Cost me 200 commiebucks IIRC, so not too bad.

Literally the only thing they improved in Inquisition was the levels, otherwise it just made the same mistakes, but worse, and vomited a horrifyingly tepid story on top of it.
Don't even get me started on the head of the circle of magi freezing motherfuckers in public because muh stronk womyn. DAI makes 2 a flawed gem by comparison.

both games were cash-ins designed to ride the wave of interest stemming from demon's souls and dark souls

both games are sub-par, mediocre experiences that broke my trust in developers

i pirate exclusively now :^)

Oh, that's Alistair and Anora by the way.

It honestly is, even down to the story. I really have to wonder if some of the devs on that game went to Treyarch

This might be a bit too much of a tangent from the thread, but I'd still like to answer. The problem is that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are inherently formulaic, stemming from the fact that a very specific, basic mythology is being repeated; in the disastrous end of the universe equivalent of the Yuga cycle, a hero of no inherent merit sets out into a kingdom already totally in ruins, where men are mad or monsters or worse. He vanquishes a number of lesser and greater evils in turn, meets a cast of mostly archetypal characters, and grows through adversity. Finally, he arrives upon the lonely holder of a broken throne- most often an ill fated Fisher Kingly entity, with one partial exception in Nashandra that is nullified by Aldia's subsequent appearance- and delivers the world or damns it for power, with 3 adding a middling option to let it wither to start wholly anew. This was the case in Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3. Even Bloodborne still had a Fisher King in the form of Gehrman and follows this formula quite thoroughly, even if the final boss proper is instead what ails the Fisher King.

Now, how do you extend that to either a background country of ordinary men whose sole purpose is to be jolly, ungodly resistant to the passing of time, and a source of JRPG onion knights, or to a fully doomed country that has dubious room for another fire linker and just about none for a would-be Dark Lord, which was already canonically delivered from Manus' unintentional predations by a previous player character and subsequently overgrown? You could definitely put an interesting game in Oolacile and pre-Undead Burg Lordran, but it took at least a thousand years (if Frampt wasn't being hyperbolic) for Gwyns' first successor to come around. That's a very long period of relative normalcy, barring the troubles in New Londo and the uncertain timing of the other Lords' fuckups. Civilization would still be around. How do you fit the mythology into this format?

It's not that it couldn't be done, necessarily, as the Oolacile and New Londo crises are contemporary to each other. You could have a last hurrah for Anor Londo with some Seathe foreshadowing, a longer exploration of the sorcerous creature infested Oolacile woods and a stint in the ruins where the player meets and murders the dark sorcerers who woke Manus up, the Effigy Shield cult thieving Nitos' power, a glimpse at how absolutely fucked the subterranean world was right when the Bed of Chaos was born with demons swarming upwards, an extra stone dragon or two, and use the Four Kings in their pre-sealing prime as your Fisher King final or semifinal boss. But without extending into 'time is convoluted' territory with a noncanon Dark Lord ending, the final dichotomous choice doesn't fit anywhere. Either you seal the Four Kings and are briefly hailed as one of the heroes of the day before being largely forgotten, or you deny to seal the Four Kings yourself, get sealed with them, and have done some dark things so Kaathe comes to say hi, blame the crises he caused on the Lords' negligence while you're feeling betrayed & vulnerable, and whisks you off to the Abyss to be an off-screen darkwraith of note. It doesn't quite rhyme, being just a little bit smaller scale than the series norm.

I don't think it is quite as bad as people think and quite a few problems could have been fixed with a few more months. In many ways it is better than inquisition, but you can tell the exact point that Bioware's narrative overcame gameplay and even the story. They were "progressive" before hand, but Mark of the Assassin had a strong female character who went against already established lore who took away choice from the player.
It was a sign of things to come where all of their darling characters are more important than the player character, plot, and lore.

FUCK YOU

let's go deeper, then

read a book nigga

Narbacular Drop allowed you to shoot portals inside portals too.

I really like the idea of Fantasy post-apocalypse but sometimes I wish that they did a vidya in the same, or similar universe in a time where shit actually goes down, instead after it went down. I understand the whole notion of minimal storytelling and shit, but who wouldn't want to see those places when they were actually alive? Or see those places in the moment they were destroyed? The closest we get is Bloodborne, and even then, almost everyone is already fucked by the time we join the fun.

Filename

I just want to see Yarhnam when it was actually alive for fuck's sake, I want to see how other Hunters worked with each other, play a character that is actually a part of that world

No arguments on that front.

A lot of people are scared that the new Quake will be shit when they forget that it's been shit since this one came out.

That, and it basically started a bunch of shitty plotlines that completely overshadowed the first game's lore.

You just reminded me of one my favorite games actually. While not exactly BAD it's definitely the weakest entry.
And it was most likely shoved out the door by Ubisoft thanks to limited amount of roads compared to previous entries (mainly no Wangan), and there being regular cars that appear in the series being used as traffic, then even more damning is AE86 and 240Z that are rivals but can't be bought and customized so were probably only finished to round out the game

Good thing there's talk about Dead Rising 1 being ported to PC, right?

even then bioware was shit

It was the same for Doom, Doom 3 was garbage.
ID went to shit long before Beth bought them.

It still hurts.

I'm pretty sure Zero is the only Mega Man sub-series that has escaped this fate.

Oh yeah, and this piece of shit.

user can that really count as a bad sequel? It didn't even come out.

I like MM7/8's spritework, I just don't think they're nearly as solid gameplay-wise as they should be.

True.

MM7 is not a bad game but we're talking about an established franchise so expectations are always high as fuck.
I liked the store and the items, but I didn't like only being able to choose from 4 stages at the beginning.

We expect any series to one-up itself, or at least have its sequels be a side-grade of the previous games. Otherwise, there's no point to having a series aside from expanding the story, which isn't the main reason to play video games.

The only good classic MM game is 2 on Jap difficulty, and then maybe 4 or 5.

It's not as good as the first one, but it's not full-on BAD. Except for the voice acting, that part's awful.

Most horror films are not about the horror itself. They're usually revolved around a human element. See the original Night of the Living Dead, or Godzilla, for reference, dumbass.

I still haven't played it and I don't intend to.

Hey, Quake 4 was pretty good.

Megaman bn 3 was so fucking good fam
i was alright with 4 but it really doesn't come close

The only great thing about this has to be the fact the Level editor ONE YEAR AFTER FUCKING RELEASE finally came out, but everyone seems to love the "You must get shot from a mile away/windows everywhere" design for some fucking reason.

No. They're more of a force of nature.

Yeah, I guess.

How can you say Legends 3 was bad if it never came out?

Not that many anons know that epic mickey was ruined by focus groups. First "rumor" to appear was that gameplay footage was shown and a biker threatened the devs if they didn't change it. Lead dev said that was wrong.
What he says happened was that they showed illustrations of the games direction and the focus group didn't like it. So they changed it.
This is how the head dev cleared any misunderstanding about focus group ruiningepic mickey.

what the fuck are you talking about, this game was amazing for its time

Honestly, I thought the '01 version looked pretty crap. Still, if they hadn't been so perfectionist about it we might've gotten something good. What we saw of the '07 build looked decent, too.

Nigger, I will fucking fight you. If you were to put each reason the game is shit into a post where each reason occupied one line, you would have to scroll down to read it all.

Every time I hear about focus groups or playtesters, it's about how they make shit worse. Vidya or otherwise, the only groups any company seems to focus on is blithering retards.

I though it wasn't focus groups but Disney themselves not wanting Epic Mickey to go in the direction the devs wanted. Which is a shame but the reason everyone wanted the ruined, fucked up Disney world is because Disney never does shit like that And continues to not do that

I think it's a case of Bad News Travels fast. Everyone wants to talk about the guy who got stuck on the pointless loop in Half-life but no one cares about the guy who found a bug that would cause the game to crash rather easily.

For an even better example just play a game that's bad because no one really playtested it. They're like the editors of a book who find the mis-spellings and bad grammar and fix it., but sometimes read the book up-side down.

Though Focus Groups are cancer that should be ignored, or at least taken with a handy side of salt.

Yeah, she became a monster because she was abused her whole life, but in Fear 3 it feels like they went all "aw poor little girl" instead of keeping her as a complete monster.

I'm still pissed about it. The concept art showed a lot of promise until the suits at Disney opted for that game to be saccharine because "muh chilluns will find it too skeeyary".

As if Disney never ever had disturbing imagery in any of their movies before.

I tried to get into this game but the dialogue and characters irked me– I read this gets worse with the sequels. They will remake it one day I think because it would sell unlike the others.

Some flashes of excellence in level design in parts, story was bland.

Always thought Invisible War had too big of shoes to fill. Condemned 2 had to follow a surprise sleeper and it came off as trying to recapture something and not quite pulling it off but not failing totally either.