Tactical RPGs

I'm going to make one, so I need to know my best competitors from the past to the present.

That is like trying to make a platformer without knowing about Mario or Sonic

Well, I played a little of invisible inc and xcom, I have some base material. But I want to know the best.

Just played the demo of Phantom Brave, cool ideas but piss execution, and what's with this artwork? Who thought low res sprites would match with high res backgrounds and effects? wtf.

Come on, guys, it's not the 90's anymore. I know the technology was limited back then so you had to make do with things like dice rolls, but now we have the technology to support action combat. It's the standard at this point. Time to stop living in the past.

Fuck off with that.

Go play Call of Duty, cuck.

Some people like dice rolls, nigger, eat shit.

Fuck off with what? The truth? You may like some of these games because you played them as a kid, but they definitely do not hold up today. They is literally no skill involved in playing these games whatsoever. Even my grandma could play them. Thank God that Oblivion invented action combat in 2006, thus proving that you can have kick-ass level-ups while also having kick-ass combat.

Call of Duty takes more skill than old RPGs

Some people like eating shit, doesn't make it any less shit.

In no order…
Final Fantasy Tactics
Summon Night 1-4
Blackguards
Jagged Alliance 2
Fire Emblem series
Tactics Ogre series
Gladius (Gamecube)
Original Xcom/Open XCom

Filtered

Alright motherfucker. you know you walked in the wrong neighborhood and decided to talk shit. Now back it up with why all the Tactical RPGs we love are shit and were only using our nostaliga goggles(even though I played Tactics Ogre recently and the PSP version isn't old enought for nostalgia googles).

How about start with Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics, Front Mission 3 if you're so eager to shit on the genre.

Front Mission 3

Thanks. I'm playing Fire Emblem right now, but I'll check some of these out. I always hear good shit about Tactics Ogre.

Der Langrisser is really good. If you play only one from that list then play that one.

2/10, you played your hand too early.

OP, if you want to know a real tactical RPG, give The Last Remnant a try. It seems like just another JRPG at first, but there's a ton of depth to it that takes a while to get into. Strangely enough, your position on the battlefield actually matters.

Games are about fun not skill

I bet you let Todd fuck you in the ass too.

Meh, I liked The Last Remnant well enough but once you've figured out the formula you basically do the same thing every fight.

How does reaction time play into number-crunching again? "Strategy" is pretty much grinding, it's for nerds with too much time on their hands. Normal people don't have the time to "strategize" for hours just to get out of the tutorial. Plus, as I said, it doesn't stimulate your brain the way things that require actual skill do. Call of Duty requires much quicker thinking than Nerd Knight 9.

I've explained it multiple times above, they're bad because they're casual and don't require any skill to play. It's almost entirely luck and grinding. I've tried to play fallout 2 and I couldn't get out of the temple thingy because I kept dying to scorpions because I wasn't some nerd who crunched numbers to beat some lowbie enemies. And before anyone tries to claim that I don't like old rpgs because I'm "bad" at them (there's no skill involved so how can I be bad?), no, it's because they're boring, take no skill, and require too much time to be "good" at.

Nice points.

This place is pretty much Tumblr anymore.

What's the "fun" in number crunching and grinding or else you get stuck (again, I'm not mad)?

Video related.
I have no doubt you'd have a hard time getting out of a strategy game tutorial.

No user, just no. Keep going though, this is getting amusing.

oh shit, I think that's my meme build

Has any one played Vandal Hearts 2?

Also has anyone played the indie game Voidspire Tactics? It's okay game really lenient on death/defeat but you are able to get your characters broken like in FF tactics

That is just fucking pathetic.

Me, and many other people with lives (and skill).
This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read. What is skill then, genius?

Says some number-crunching nerd who plays artificially difficult games.

Hahaha, you really are a moron.

Skill is the ability to do something well. There are people who are quite skillful at strategy, and then there are retards like you. Assuming that all skill is just twitch based is fucking hilarious. Does that mean that no one can be skilled at playing Chess? I hope you're being serious.

I'm weirdly satisfied.

I tried to give a quick look on Tactics Ogre, didn't understand shit, tutorial is fucked, but I'll give another try later, let's see this Der Langrisser tomorrow because I need sleep

Has anyone played the translated versions of Energy Breaker or Treasure hunter G? I was curious about those games and wanted to know if they were worth playing.

Advanced wars, never heard of anyone who played it and disliked it. It's been years and I still enjoy replaying it

Being practically unknown due to poor marketing, that's not the point user

Even my turbo normalfag friends from high school who had never played any rpg could beat it. That's just pathetic, stop defending your short attention spam and inability to play anything that isnt a railway shooter by calling better games shit

Jesus fuck, this is why we can't have nice things.

STOP TAKING THE BAIT YOU NIGGERS!

Here, if you don't have a PSP you can simply use PPSSPP.

La Pucelle Ragnarok, Disgaea, Front Mission 3, Wild Arms XF and Knights in the Nightmare are also worth to check.

Fixed.

First, don't call them roleplaying-ga->>10182003
NOPE

Razorcuck please leave.

Shame Dofus never got a singleplayer.

How is that possible? You just click the attack button over and over until they die. Were you unable to figure out where the attack button was?

The b8fag is both right and wrong

Tactical RPGs need to revive itself using modern day design solutions in one way or another

The mistake that the b8fag commit is he doesn't care about the Tactical side of the game

I would like to ask : what is the new and inviting design elements that will enhance the Tactical aspect of the game the most ?

and sorry for my bad english

7.62 is a pretty good tactical RPG.
Unless you are meaning less OPERATOR more 'muh tactics, muh leet gaming strats, muh best builds' rubbish,.

He isn't wrong, guys.
Dicerolls are bullshit.

You guys used to always hate RNG crap. Why not now all of a sudden?

I want a game mechanically similar to pikmin but with necromancy.
That is basically the necromancy game I have been yearning for. You run around and slay beasts and adventurers with your hordes and bring back calcium to the monoliths and grave stones to bring out more dead. It has to be just as colorful and beautiful as pikmin I think though, or I'd loose interest, because that game has great gameplay backed up by amazing visuals.

Fucking unintelligent morons

Play homm3

it is colorful, classic fantasy design which means no edgy grimdark gray pallete, all the opposite

the npcs dont do kawaii soudns like the pikmins though, sorry

I came back to thank you, user, it's really an amazing game.

sometimes they're valid though, especially when your stats/skills have an effect on their outcome

i mean, have you ever gone target shooting and fired at skeets or moving targets of any kind? sometimes you hit them, sometimes you don't. sometimes you've got it all lined up and the birdshot just doesn't go the right way. in a lot of the war biographies I've read the author usually finds a chance to mention how war is basically all chance; sometimes a mortar shell will land three feet away from you and you're totally fine. sometimes one will land a hundred feet away and the guy beside you will get shrapnel in his brain.

dicerolls that are affected by stats and skills too - lockpicking, for example - are fine with me because again it suits the setting and it makes sense. maybe you're not really skilled enough at that lock but got really lucky and disarmed it anyway, great. maybe you're a master locksmith but you lost concentration. etc

i only hate dicerolls if they're huge and unchangeable and really vastly change the state of what's going on in an enormous way. like FTL; it's a great game but it's all down to which powerups you find otherwise you flat-out cannot win, full stop

Pick according to your tastes:

I made the Lead Writer redo one character from the start just transform it into pure waifubait. I regret nothing.

I'm glad you liked it. What class routes are you taking?

english is good.

just it would be

that'd be cool af tbh my nigga