PURE GAMEPLAY
Little to no story, no unskippable cutscenes, absolutely no tutorials

Hard mode: No multiplayer

This tbqh. Better than tetris.

bullshit

Linea, the Game

Tetris.

It's shit

Dunno. The usual. Quake and Doom. Any e sports garbage or game centered around multiplayer.

How does story affect the game quality? Skyrim has less story than Morrowind and is a shittier game. Cutscenes you can't skip and tutorials are both retarded though.

Dwarf fortress

Story is icing on the cake, it can make a cake good or bad, but it can never be the cake.

Terraria is a game.

More like cuck.

No story, no audio, no lore, no tutorials. Minimal graphics. Broken to hell and back. Closed source. Developed by an autist who refuses to consider the thoughts of others.
Are you man enough to master Aurora?

have barely any cutscenes or the like and are just pure gameplay. Examples include the NES Mario games, the original Sonic Genesis trilogy, Zelda 1, and others.

is a big one for sure. It feels like a raw program made for your entertainment. There are no cutscenes whatsoever and honestly the gameplay is so raw and unfiltered that it feels like a pen and paper game at points. Tutorials come in the form of help menus that can be accessed via menus and are as optional as deciding to press a few buttons to get there or not. It's honestly one of the greater experiences I've had with gaming.

's story is portrayed in the form of a bizarre Rorschach test that takes the form of the entire game world around you, and has no traditional cutscenes. It feels a little heavy on the user-side though instead of being heavy on the gameplay side, so it probably doesn't count. Most of the fun comes from you interpreting things and honestly you have to be a patient dude who has a liking for sitting there and thinking about shit and getting immersed in various atmospheres, so, to most people it's probably just hipster shit. If you're the type who can get into that sort of shit though, you're going to have one hell of a time.

is incredibly pick-up and play. No story or anything aside from a skippable intro video that plays before the title screen. It comes in an original version that's completely free, and one that costs money but has more features and better visuals. The paid version frequently goes on sale for less than 5 bucks so you might be able to pick it up then. Or just pirate it because who the hell cares.

allows you to just jump right into the action straight away. No unskippable stories, generally, and lots of fun stuff to play with. You can play with yourself and relax, fighting against the CPU, constantly honing your skills until you feel confident in your abilities, and then find other players to fight against. Fighting games are very pure in terms of gameplay; it's all about the skill and the strategy. The fun comes from the challenge and even from the community sometimes, too.

has an amazing selection of games, and while ZUN, the dude behind thegames, needs to come up with an idea for the recent releases for reasons I won't really go into due to them being off-topic and shit, it's a great series. You can mash your way through all of the dialogue, and the game has a high score board and even a replay function so you can save your best playthroughs. It feels very gamey, even feeling like something you'd play at an arcade, and I suppose that's because it is an arcade game at heart. It has a huge cast of characters and while ZUN needs to slow it down with making so many, nearly all of them are wonderful and lovable. The gameplay is solid and the OST is legendary. The series has a huge cultural influence online, as well, and playing the games and getting into them will allow you to understand some of the weird shit people say about the characters. I can't promise it'll make the things they do less annoying though, if you're one to get ticked off at others funposting and fucking around online.

That's all I really have for right now. I could write more but I feel like I've given some good examples. Have fun, Anons. I hope you find some good games to play.

Doom. That's all I can contribute OP, you're welcome, I made your thread 100% better.

Didn't say those games were good for everyone. All of the people I know who play Touhou absolutely adore it, and it's a very popular series so it's definitely a safe bet if you're looking for something fun to play.

Even if you don't like it, it's a pretty solid little shoot 'em up, for what it is. Unless the popularity and fanbase gets in the way of that, then it's gonna suck regardless.

Why woud anyone even play this ?
You could use your time to work on spreadsheets for a real job instead, it's literally the same thing you are doing sitting in front of your computer.

EDF 4.1

Antichamber

I really fucking wanna get into EDF but I've heard I should play the series in a specific order to get the most out of it.

I think I'm just going to emulate the PS2 titles and then jump to 4.1 or something. That shit looks like the wet dream of someone who enjoys both video games, sci-fi, and the golden age of superheroes. I'm really interested.

So is Undertale.

Cancer is cancer

Oh yeah definitely, that's my point. If you don't like something, you don't like something. If Undertale was a niche little RPG you could play for free people would find it as a fun little homage to Earthbound, despite its glaring flaws.

I'm not saying the game is amazing or anything but people love tiny little niche titles.

Actually to reiterate on what I said, flaws aren't really objective. People might like a game for one reason and then a different person might hate it for the exact same reason.

Different tastes and shit.

who the hell told you that? just play whatever except Insect Armageddon

ps2 got two games: monster attack and global defense force. monster attack was remade for x360 as EDF 2017 and global defense force was remade as EDF 2025 - which itself was remade as EDF 4.1. it's literally the same game all the way up except for the turn based spinoff for ps2

so just play EDF 4.1 or check out global defense force to see how it all began (monster attack has way less content so don't even bother)

It's more entertaining than actual spreadsheets.
It's the 4x equivalent of autistically filling in backstory for your characters in DRPGs.

Oh thanks. I'm just sort of a faggot for seeing how series evolve. So I should just check out Monster Attack and GDF via emulation for the hell of it and then get 4.1?

Sounds like a plan, then. This guy said I should play the vita ones and shit and I wasn't ready to spend that much money on a handheld that only had like one game that interested me. Seriously though, again, thank you. This makes shit a lot easier for me.

Except the goddamn intro?!

Nuclear throne
Factorio

Admittedly both do have a "story", but the game doesn't necessarily tell you about it. It's just there so the context of the game has meaning.

vita games are just extended ports of gdf and edf2017, you won't be missing out much

Oh yeah I thought about that, but it just feels so far off and shit and when you skip it it doesn't even fade out or anything. It legit just goes away as if it weren't even there in the first place.

It's still a cutscene though.

Cool, I heard about that. I think I might pick up the x360 game someday as I have a 360 kicking around from about 2009 or so. But for now I'll just emulate the PS2 games and pick up 4.1 like I said.

Once I get the money together to actually get a decent computer again instead of this dying laptop. Gonna build me something good.

You can also just disable it completely by changing the .ini/ticking a box in LNP

Early Tony Hawk?

At least the evens are on your side

going back on topic

kill robots to kill the robots to kill the killing robots to kill robots for killing robots that kill robots to kill robots to kill robots that have killed robots who kill robots which are killing robots

Does it come in a flavor besides Navy?

Super Hexagon

So arcade game thread?

Pic related, though I seriously doubt many people survive longer than a few nights without looking up a "tutorial" online on how to craft shit.

but user, just play single-player mode.

bump

I find it funny that Settlers 2 fits that description.

Rogue. Running natively on my terminal of course :)

Stars!

Too bad this shit wont run on modern machines.

two very hard but deceivingly childlike looking puzzle games. instead of lengthy tutorials they teach the puzzle mechanics as you play the early levels. further levels rely on your experimentation and ingenuity in order to figure shit out. story in toki tori is minimal and snakebird doesn't have any.

I like the game but it borders on walking sims sometimes (ending) and the signs/icons don't help either. Zero hand-holding though so I get where you're coming from.

The first three Rhythm Heaven games are pretty good at all that except for a test at the very start of the game. At least in the Wii and 3DS one the test comes back in the final remix.

Carmageddon.

Fantasy Zone!

Yeah, it really sucks that there's a ton of cutscenes in Megamix. It really takes away from the series' trademark "odd" vibe, although that had already started to disappear with Fever's more coherent and "clean" art design.

trials

you can't skip your life flashing by

Super Hexagon

MOTHGIRLS ARE SHIT

Angry birds.

the moral of the story is that any game can be pure cancer, story or not.

WHY DO YOU BULLY ME FRIEND
HAVE I NOT SUFFERED ENOUGH

I wanna be the guy, bonesaw, … and pretty much every other platformer

Dont feel like listing any more

Pure win.

serious sam hd the first encounter the second encounter and the third
also geometry wars

Holy fucking shit kill you are self
Good players can roll the cylinder and pull the trigger five times. Admit that you just suck and your'' a casul.

not pulling the trigger 6 times for maximum exp