Take a look at the state of WoW because even the most hardcore addicts i know dropped it this week with a 'ability...

Is WoW actually an rpg anymore? even cawadoody has levels so that doesnt make it one on its own anymore.

All Blizzard games are converging into one garbage pile of shit that will be inexplicably loved by millions.

I would go so far as to say Overwatch has superior waifus to Warcraft circa Legion.

Yes i said it.

user, they're polished garbage piles of shit.

Is it their biggest failure that shipped?

WoW was never a rpg, its was just a shitty Warcraft 3 mod that made a shitload of money from retards

Vanilla mages had an 'open lock' spell. You tell me thats not rpg criteria met motherfucker.

I played the new patch, mainly just Battlegrounds.

Was because i play rogue and they made a "new" class, something rogue has been needing for years now as the 3 you have are basically the same thing and rogue has barely changed since TBC.

The new class was fun for a few days but gameplay is just 3 button rotation with 3-4 utility abilities, defensive cooldowns, burst cooldowns.
Felt like i was playing LOL.

Best PVP was in vanilla when, around when the BG's first came out. Also i will never forget how fun it was to gank people waiting Instances like Scarlet Monastery

it was a different time.

You couldn't roll a character of the opposite faction on a PVP realm when you had one of the other.

It was pve, the bonfires flagged you for pvp remember.

Just imagine some foppish belf dude running down the path to the loch modan bonfire, a dwarf with a long braided ginger beard and a big fuck off hammer waiting in the bushes giggling in scottish waiting for him to get close.

It's kept alive through microtransactions, like every moba today. New skins and heroes every month.

I believe heroes of the storm is the best refined moba to play casually. In the same way league took the parts it liked from dota, hots boiled it down further and just took the exciting parts from a 40+ minute game of league. It just feels less arduous to play and gets right to the point instead of dicking around for 20-30 minutes. It also has multiple maps with individual metas instead of the same one every time, which is something I've wanted since I found league in 2011.

As an e-sport though? Hah, call me when the meta regularly has 40 or more characters picked in draft/tournaments.

I could call anything an rpg, but if people want to say it's just hitting buttons at the right time, why isn't it a rhythm game? Quantifying game genres outside of a general expectation for the game is dumb. In WoW, you make a character, do quests, get experience and rewards, and focus on the worlds story. Things I'd expect out of a typical rpg game. Anything less or more than that is just a quirk of the game itself.

you could go pvp in a pve server.

iv seen what has said plenty of times

sorry meant to link story

Come on son, we all know nobody reads those quest texts anymore, you go to the orange blob on the map and click your filler till the orange blob disappears.

Truly an epic experience for the ages.

its a shame the story is bad and quest's now are: follow this arrow to the things you kill, they are all in this blue area of the map, kill xmob

I used to fine so many new things and spend ages doing a few quests back way.

now its get you in kill this get you out, next quest line

Think about that.

Now imagine how bad WoW must be for that to be true.

I'm certain barely anyone does, but the fact is the content is there. The presentation is there. If you wanted to play a game with grindy gameplay, a fairly lukewarm story, and character creation, quests, etc., WoW starts sounding a lot like an rpg.

I think the problem was they tried to shift the discovery into the quest themes. To try and make quests and quest text matter. So you'd have a story arc to follow in each region and you would "change the world" as it were wherever you went.

Of course nobody read the fucking things anyway so you'd only ever really understand a questlines conclusion when you saw the cinematic character monologue at the end. If you even cared.

I think it's funny that WoW is trying to be runescape now.

Does that have a feminine penis?

I know what you mean, its like the quest line and the conclusion in a region, almost dictate what you do there now.

3D shitskins are never good waifus.

absolutely haram.

I think it's an insult to WoW by saying that even Overcuck is more complex.
OP's picture makes me think otherwise.

Oh look, a thinly veiled Overwatch topic outside its containment. Reported.

How to design a WoW spec in current year:

Every fucking spec.

There were a few add-ons that added overlays to your map, showing where all the targets of your current quest were. Lots of people installed them so they could level up faster. WoW just decided "if some people are gonna do that, might as well give it to everyone ever".

This isn't the addon's fault, it just highlights the problems with this kind of game. A quest that is gonna be repeated by every single character, by everyone single player always in the same way, it's just not fun, quests become checklists you go through when leveling, not some neat story you get immersed in.

Now if, when you arrive in a region, there is some common problem that all players can help solve, with multiple solutions, that'd be different.
Like arriving at a settlement where there's a food shortage and you can help by finding stolen food caches hidden in random locations (a nearby bandit camp MIGHT have it, go check on it), hunt some animals if you just want to farm, or find the predator eating the other animals, kill him and every animal now drops even more food.
Every contribution gives you XP and rewards, ending the problem even more so. Problem ends, a new one is generated after a short cooldown and every settlement has a pool of thematic problems it can have.

What is really driving me, personally, away from enjoying this new combat model, they adopted since cataclysm, is how none of those abilities seem to actually do anything to mobs. It feels more like I'm playing a dance dance revolution, guitar hero, or whatever, type of game than an actual RPG.

My heals don't do anything to players, and my damage does nothing to bosses, maybe that's because of my ilvl, but what incentive does the game gives you to get higher item levels when gear became as disposable as disposable can be?

I understand that there are only so many ways you can keep the illusion that you are still "progressing" in a game with such low ceiling as wow, but the way gear works now, puts me off in such a way that the passive combat alone kills any joy in progressing your character in a meaningful way.

The idea of having my effort thrown out of the window in six months time is the main reason why I stopped raiding, and engaging in pvp, entirely.

What is really driving me, personally, away from enjoying this new combat model, they adopted since cataclysm, is how none of those abilities seem to actually do anything to mobs. It feels more like I'm playing a dance dance revolution, guitar hero, or whatever, type of game than an actual RPG.

My heals don't do anything to players, and my damage does nothing to bosses, maybe that's because of my ilvl, but what incentive does the game gives you to get higher item levels when gear became as disposable as disposable can be?

I understand that there are only so many ways you can keep the illusion that you are still "progressing" in a game with such low ceiling as wow, but the way gear works now, puts me off in such a way that the passive combat alone kills any joy in progressing your character in a meaningful way.

The idea of having my effort thrown out of the window in six months time is the main reason why I stopped raiding, and engaging in pvp, entirely.