Oi you fucking americunts you've got half a bong to tell me how your shit overpriced nintendy box can compare with the...

oi you fucking americunts you've got half a bong to tell me how your shit overpriced nintendy box can compare with the glorious ZX Spectrum (zed not zee you fucking wankers), Commodore 64, BBC Micro, or Amstrad CPC. you fucking cheeky gits can't even play Jet Set Willy on that cock-up overpriced ugly VHS player.

Other urls found in this thread:

gfxzone.planet-d.net/articles/zx_spectrum_graphics-article_01.html
retroyak.com/attribute-clash-of-the-bright-dims/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Good for RPG, but shit for pleb action games.

I won't even touch eurotrash on emulators. Fuck off with your special snowflake systems and gutter speak you consider English.

Man, ZX spectrum had some shit ports. Only now people are "understanding" how the console actually works, and making playable homebrews .

The NES was a dedicated console that had good developer support and "just worked" at a time where that mattered. That other shit tried too hard to be a home computer but had non-standard proprietary OSs and no gaems.

Name some exclusives, and then get ready to have me tell you I don't know them so they suck.

What are some good CPC games?

Also

The Spectrum was garbage compared to the Commodore 64 you fucking faggot.

thanks wikipedia

Kill yoyrself weebcuck

Spectrum was cheap, but because it had a shit keyboard and loaded programs on audio cassettes when everyone else could afford disks. Still, it had a low price and had its place in the market.

Now Amiga, that's the one I don't get. It was more expensive than Atari, had inferior sound to the ST and IBM equivalent, and wasn't as good for business use as Macintosh and IBM were. What was so special about it other than the brand name?

Were they all yellowed like that when sold as new? No wonder IBM survived while they fell apart within the decade.

Try again, muhammad bin-britcuck.

what? The ZX spectrum was shit. The Master System and the NES blew the fuck out of it.

Can someone explain why home computers ala the Spectrum/Amiga seemed more popular in the UK compared to the US? Mainly curious, was it a much cheaper alternative at the time?

Home computers were tremendously popular in the US. C64, Tandy, Apple II, etc, etc. Consoles were just better for games.

Screw you, britcuck I'll call it zee

It is still unclear to me how someone can play this thing without going blind or wanting to.

Amiga 500 was a first affordable PC. Later Amiga models were cheap, easy to upgrade, had good performance, and lots of quality VIDYA GAMES.

Well this can't go anywhere positive. Anyway let's talk about one of the best games for the system.

I don't know what's worse. The fact that there was a commercial game like Percy the Potty Pigeon on the Speccy. Or, that it did not even get the best port of it.

first amiga came out in 1985 and delivered real arcade machine tier graphix and music while similar other hardware struggled to render basic shapes and play blip blops. eventually it also found it's niche in graphics processing due to it's capabilities

More quality.

This pic shows the typical Britbong nu-male. Note the Zoe Quinn-esque problem glasses and retarded, faggot looking face. Almost all Britbongs are trash. Almost all of them are whiny, smug, bitches.

reminder that games for MS-DOS only got good in the 90s

That's not exactly true, more like the late 80s.

Still better than the Spectrum as the games never got good on it.

Once again, Atari was earlier to market and the cheaper set.
By the time that happened, IBM had better scalability, ranging from cheap clones all the way to the cutting edge.

Atari had similar graphics at the time for a lower price. Both were audiovisually checkmated in less than three years by Genesis/Mega Drive.

The unexplained success of the Amiga tells me they just had lower standards and probably couldn't afford anything from Compaq, HP, or Apple.

I had a Master System growing up.

The Amiga was not only cheaper, but far superior to IBM compatibles. IBMs did not catch up to the Amiga until 92-94, with 486 CPUs, VESA graphics cards, and Soundblaster sound cards becoming common.

Rareware's games? Notably Jetpac.

Fix it yourself, you lazy fucking piece of shit.

HOW HARD WAS THAT YOU RETARDED FAGGOT?

C64 had a hell of a good soundchip despite it's limitations.

FUCK THAT NOISE

I've heard it said before(though i can't remember where) that were it not for the Nintendo, the C64 would have reigned supreme, and maybe then Atari might of stood a chance in hell of beating it. Anyways, brits just liked to eat shit, the games were fucking dirt cheap, and parents would rather buy them a fucking computer than any of the video game consoles with expensive carts.

DUDE ARPEGGIOS LMAO

Don't be a whiny little bitch just because you got Favela Basic Internet 100.

Go perpetuate your shitty lo-def drokk some place else, rigger.

MITS Altair 8800 was the original affordable PC.
Who needs more than 256 bytes of RAM?!

Atari ST was cheaper than Amiga and had objectively better sound with native MIDI out. IBM was better for business applications and the bleeding edge of audiovisuals, that is, for those who could afford it. Most Americans made the jump to Big Blue, some getting Macs. They adapted to multimedia well while retaining the look and feel of a proper computer system instead of just pushing some retarded all-in-one hub.
Fixed that for you.

Because in the 80's the UK was experiencing a nation wide homebrew movement. The ZX Spectrum came with a manual to program BASIC games which was very easy to understand. I remember at the age of five getting this my first ever computer which was the ZX and was programming with a friend small games. It was also fantastic for those that wanted to set up a small business and you could even download games from the radio through radio stations audio broadcasting. It was cheap so it's availiblity was far reaching. The games were also cheap and you used to be able to buy them for a fiver from corner shops. Man the 80's in the UK was an interesting time for coding.

queer as a biscuit mum. pip pip by jove. fancy going on a pubcrawl innit? god save the queen you bloody ponce. ill shag ur mum in the arse

Tape drives weren't that bad. Besides the Spectrum had a floppy drive too.

I have a full romset for the ZX Spectrum and i can honestly say that it blows, the Commodore 64 blows the fuck out of it on every regard. And the NES/MS of them both.

What did he mean by this?

Some models also had a cart slot, but the majority of devs were too cheap to use either.

We are more then aware.

MD had a shit ton of games that were just shit ports of amiga games. Was a lot easier to pirate on the Amiga too.

Fuck

Lmao, you expect me to touch an eurotrash platform?

Most of the European-developed games were like that early on. Sega and Capcom in particular were quick to treat it as a games console as opposed to a platform just for ports.

I consider Zool, its wild success on 16-bit micros, and how it compares to contemporaries like Sparkster and Sonic 2 as concrete proof that Amiga players just had lower standards, that they would tolerate inferior games in the name of their own special snowflakery.

Ease of piracy doesn't mean shit if the program isn't even worth the disk to which it's written.

The games were cheap at around £10 for the more expensive ones or just free if one of your friends already had it and you had a spare cassette, NES games were £60.

You're trying too hard to sound British.

They were cheaper, but were they any good compared to the marquee NES games? Jetpac is the only one I remember being worth a damn, and even that was ported to some better computers.

But the NES was better, price means nothing when the games were barely playable even at the time (outside of some RPGs and simulators) and have aged like milk.

These new meme keyboards are garbage. Full size or go home. If you want a miniature keyboard maybe a Macbook is more your speed.

How hard is it to develop games for the ZX?

I like America. You guys are cool by me.

Considering that THIS was your average ZX spectrum game, i'd say very hard.

It doesn't look hard, but there's only a handful of colors and the sound has less range than an IBM PC speaker.

Gamedev on the Speccy was very hard, compared to the other 8biters of the day.

Sir Clive's vision was to enlighten the masses through home computing. The Speccy was designed to be as cheap as possible, yet powerful enough to run basic home office and educational applications. Complex graphic and sound did not fit that vision. They would have been too expensive.

And, I guess he was right. Its low price was the main reason for the Speccy's success. It was cheap enough for working class folks to buy one on impulse. Or for students to get one with their textbooks. Even children could save their pocket money, and buy one in a reasonable amount of time.

How come? I just looked up what language it's coded in and it's some kind of BASIC. That seems easier than Assembly like what was used on the NES.

Also I'm going to post these because they are more appropriate here than the pixel art thread.

This is probably the best-looking ZX game, which should tell you something.

I guess the problem was how weak the hardware was. Not only it had a palette of 8 colors, it had a limitation called attribute clash: every 8x8 pixel area could contain only 2 colors. So you had to design all your graphics around that limitation.

>gfxzone.planet-d.net/articles/zx_spectrum_graphics-article_01.html
>retroyak.com/attribute-clash-of-the-bright-dims/

Yuroqueers, everyone.

ya'll are missing out on something.

I gotta make my own Altair 8800 hardware emulator with the shit I got laying around, mane. Shit's dank.

You laugh now but the sign language in my country has different signs for zee and zed despite being the same letter.
Most people use zee though because zed is also the american way of doing it and the "new" version that no one ever bothered to learn.

So the difficulty was more of a graphical difficulty rather than a pure programming one.

Well the thing was designed to be cheap, it probably wasn't built for games in any sense.

These are really cute. Post more micro-tans.

2 bits per pixel (a choice of 3 colors + transparent/background per tile) was very common in this era. Even the NES had 2bpp graphics. What made most 8 bit era computers look like shit is that the available colors were extremely limited, and gaudy. The Speccy had 15 highly saturated shades to choose from. It was pretty much impossible to present a picture that wasn't glowing neon.

But the Speccy wasn't unique in that respect. An MSX's colors are terrible as well, and there is the same 2bpp limitation. What made the Speccy uniquely inconvenient to develop on was that it had no sprites. You had to manually blit objects onto the background tiles they were supposed to cover. THIS is what caused "attribute clash.'' Programmers wanted to display both a sprite and a background tile in the same tile, they could only pick one, so the other had to yield its palette.

I have. Did you completely miss my post where I said I was programming in BASIC on my ZX Spectrum with a friend at the age of five. The ZX Spectrum came with a manual on how to program simple games.

What do you expect from third console gen shitters? Even the fucking intellivision is like an alien artifact to 70% of anons here.

very close

who got it?

Relevant.

God damn it's been 2 years already…

The way this works is they use precisely timed code to change the palettes with software faster than the hardware was designed to do; iirc it's something like 1 unique palette for every 8x1 pixel sliver. Wastes a shitload of raster time, doesn't solve the attribute clash issue at all, but lets you do some nice static and semi-static graphics.

I know what you're saying but it's still a great piece of code to push the Speccy to it's limits, a bit like how the Master System used background tiles for the player character and enemies in Golden Axe.

This is all I have right now. If I find more likr this I'll post them.

you're a cool guy

I hate living in the third world

Ironically, most of slav clones had better specs than real ZX.

But the CZ wasn't slav, it was from Argentina

I played some Outrun on C64 the last summer. Took like 5min max to load the game. It felt like ages when I was 3 year old but for an adult it's honestly not as bad as some people say, and definitely not as bad as I remembered it to be.

It was really hard. As i said, only now people are actually understanding how the console actually works, doing some mindblowing shit like porting Doom to the ZX spectrum.

Polisfag here. Got mine C64 in early 90s. With to piated cassettes. There was even audition in local radio for C64. Speaker said "now put player on record, we will now play the game, so you can save it and play on your computer". Got few simple games from radio shows. Nobody cared for piracy, first copyright laws emerged in late 90s…

MUH ERMEEGARGH
MUH KAWMADOOR SIXTY FORE
MUH ATARI ESS TEEEEEE
MUH ZEDECKS SPECTRUMM
MUH BIG BLACK COCK MICRO
MUH AHMSEETRAD
MUH AYYCOORRRN

Being a hamburger is suffering.

Honestly though, British microcomputers were pretty damn neat, and so were the games developed for them.

You forgot
SEEEEAAAGARRRRRR

but 2d girls dont get old and sick

i wouldn't buy it for 5 bucks

they do if I draw them like that

Hey do any of you know what PC I had back in the day??

It was blackbird or something (I think that may have been the monitor) it was a keyboard with an attached floppy disc drive. You could insert discs and you had to type "run discname" to get it to play.

The discdrive was connected to the keyboard which was the pc does this jog anyones memory?

Yeah that was probably the monitor. you're probably talking about the spectrum 128k

life is suffering

What country's sign language is that in? I'm learning british sign language at the moment

Yes that may have been it. Does this one play double dragon and Saboteur? The disc drive may have been on the right hand side.

So I was looking around my old stuff and I found my dad's spectrum cassette games:
They are:

Know any of those? Also I remember one called Green Beret but I can't find it.
I would love to try some out but I don't have a cassette player and the thing doesn't connect to my tv.

Yes, I have Saboteur right here and Double Dragon was (badly) ported, according to google.

maybe you should draw yourself into jail

Wait no it was this one. The Amstrad I distinctly remember that you could peel the metal stuck to the FDD and it had brown glue underneath it.

There was a game where you are a Wizard and you can turn into three forms of monster that do different things and ad the start of the game there was a guy that can kill you right away if you go near him does this sound familiar?

I looked up the one it is the Amstrad 6218.

The monitor blew up and my parents just threw it out in the trash they didn't know the Pc is inside the keyboard so there was nothing wrong with the actual computer. We didn't have another PC until Pentium 3 was out.

So if anyone can remember it was a top down shooter where you are a wizard and you can transform into monsters you have a bar for health and magic and it was on the Amstrad.

Fuck off gook.

Who the anime pictures of old PCs?

There are posts about euro PCs too.

Bump

Bump

Saboteur is pretty good. Driller is straight port, same with Ms Pacman. Bruce Lee, Raid Over Moscow and Rambo are fun in short bursts. Zaxxon port was pretty meh.

……………………..