What does Holla Forums think of John Michael Greer?

What does Holla Forums think of John Michael Greer?

Other urls found in this thread:

nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/2012_phaseII_fellows_slough.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_rocket
cluborlov.blogspot.com/2012/10/in-praise-of-anarchy-part-iii.html
thepiratebay.org/torrent/4035715/Alan_Watts_-_The_Book_On_The_Taboo_Against_Knowing_Who_You_Are.p
amazon.com/Book-Taboo-Against-Knowing-Who/dp/0679723005/ref=sr_1_1/156-9409047-2862263?ie=UTF8&qid=1478228728&sr=8-1&keywords=alan watts the book
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm in love with this academic.

He's one of the great Cuts-Through-The-Bullshit-ers.

He links history, science, economics and more to form a cohesive narrative/model that is useful for understanding the past, present and hopefully the future.

He reminds us that the LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS place an ultimate limit on what is possible, and that anyone who says "We're going to colonise the stars bro!" without explaining where they are going to get the usable energy from is just spouting dogma.

Every one of his books are great.
If you want to understand his model of the future for humanity and civilisation, I recommend The Long Decent, The Ecotechnic Future, and The Wealth of Nature.

you get the usable energy from thermonnuclear fusion, chemical rockets are fucking garbage and musk should be dicked up the ass by a monkey, goddamn fucking con artist, we arent gonna get to mars with gofundme nigger, never mind the trip taking a fucking year or what not, thats insane you would be fried nevermind everything that can go wrong

your vorischt is valid but dont think that the fuckin stars are not where we have to go nigger, there is no where alse, this is why idiotic greenie cunts are literally more dangerous than rabid nazis

What makes you think this is possible?

the fact that im not retarded or brainwashed by greenies and kind of understand how the development curve works, there is no doubt in my mind that it will soon be possible provided we R&D hard enough and stop wasting our fucking time on solar panels/mitigating the horrendous effects of cow farts

A lot of experts tend to agree, I didnt pull this shit out of my black hole nigger, its the correct way forward everything else is thumb in the ass masturbatory

nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/2012_phaseII_fellows_slough.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_rocket

He's great. His predictions have been fouled up a bit by the fracking/shale oil boom but I find the general thrust of them very persuasive.

I don't see any evidence that fusion power will ever be economically viable, or even physically possible. Spending trillions of dollars isn't going to make a perpetual motion machine or other kinds of fantasy technology possible

Sun.

Just because it occurs in nature doesn't mean it's possible for humans to harness it. That's the problem I'm having, everyone just seems to have blind faith in unlimited technological process and human domination of the universe, but there's no actual reason to believe it at all. It's much more likely that industrial civilization will decline with the exhaustion of fossil fuels

thats because youre a small-minded petit-bourgeois git that needs a kick in the tush, also you sound like a penny-pinching financially illiterate tea-partytard faffing about trillions like that number even means much in our age of rampant fraud and quantum-gambling. Do you have even the slightest idea what the US alone blows trillions of bucks on, not to even start on the apocalyptic derivatives cloud that completely overshadows the entire real world economy?

Get your head out of your ass and stop acting like a yuppie, this shit is important, its the obvious way forward, after burgerland gets its laughable fucking infrastructure fixed and starts industrializing again they need to start looking torwards space with the ivans and the poo-in the-loos and creepy chiners and anyone else that can contribute

lul

read Vernadsky

Why, just because you want it to be? You might as well believe in the second coming of Jesus

Solar power and agriculture.

Not to mention, it doesn't occur in nature alone. Thermonuclear bomb had been detonated decades ago and we've been getting controlled (for a short period) fusion reactions for decades as well.

Granted, you have Fermi paradox going for you, but fusion - of some sort - is hardly unreachable. It's mostly a question of funding now. Prototypes are hideously expensive.

no numbnuts, its the natural next step in our development, and ultimately the next step for the universe. The fact that you think we are somehow supposed to just plateau and slowly croak shows how much of an an apathetic defeatist you have been brow-beat into by various influences, nevermind how adverse that is to human history where we have been pretty consistenly upping our energy output and density barring a few setbacks.

of course we all might slaughter each other first

I don't think we're "supposed" to do anything, I just see the most logical outcome of what is happening right now. It's not like I don't want to hope for an energy breakthrough, but I think we should be prepared for the worst, at least psychologically, instead of having such blind faith in a sci-fi future

This.

Except its the opposite, the problem is humans have Pollyanna-ish optimism regarding science that is essentially a repackaged "life finds a way", replacing life with SCIENCE!

Also outside a handful of die-hard anarcho-primitivsts I don't think anyone concerned with resource shortages wants to be proven right

Please just summarise. I wish people here would do more explaining and less referring.

Sounds like someone I'd hate.

I desperately need humans to spread throughout all of time and space, because consciousness is too precious to only appear on a tiny rock for a moment, then be snuffed out just as quickly. My life will have meant more than my primordial skittering about in a feeble attempt to survive if humanity as a whole continues to survive and hopefully evolve.

Consciousness is the nature of the universe, friend. Do like Greer did and rediscover spirituality, then you won't worry about that stuff so much.

Aren't you the Stalinist that thinks ecology is Fascist and revisionist? Kek

His class analysis of the current US election in terms of wage class vs salaried class is really interesting. Worth reading.

Another good peak oil guy worth checking out is Dmitry Orlov. He wrote a series on Kropotkin on his blog:
cluborlov.blogspot.com/2012/10/in-praise-of-anarchy-part-iii.html

I'm really curious about his religious beliefs. Which of his books should I start with for that?

A good intro to spirituality book is:
The Book by Alan Watts
thepiratebay.org/torrent/4035715/Alan_Watts_-_The_Book_On_The_Taboo_Against_Knowing_Who_You_Are.p
amazon.com/Book-Taboo-Against-Knowing-Who/dp/0679723005/ref=sr_1_1/156-9409047-2862263?ie=UTF8&qid=1478228728&sr=8-1&keywords=alan watts the book

I haven't read any of his religious or occult books. But if you're interested in these ideas, I advise you to check out fringechan (8/fringe/ has gone to shit in the last year) and start with the beginner texts prescribed there. You will have to read a lot of crap in the process of finding truth, so don't be discouraged. Greer seems to have broad interests (he wrote an occult encyclopedia) so he'd probably tell you not to start with his particular brand of wisdom.

Agreed.

When one understands ecology, one can no longer see any process separately but only as part of a larger whole.
And therefore the role of humanity on earth quickly becomes narrowly defined, fascist almost, as to what must be done to be sustained and to be healthy.

And is that space empire going to last forever? Or will it too die as an individual eventually dies?

Do you define something as meaningless unless it is eternal?
Or can you see the ultimate beauty of a thing that only exists for one moment in spacetime, never to be seen again?
You do need yourself some spirituality maaan.
I recommend something Eastern, like Buddhism; or something Psychedelic, such as listening to the works of Terence McKenna.

user-bro, we refer to books because the ideas are both complicate and expansive. To communicate them, even in summary, would take pages. And the ideas are so important that we don't want you to read a poorly made summary and write off the ideas/books; instead we want you to invest in reading the book and sizing up the ideas for yourself, so they have real lasting impact.

You are retarded and brainwashed by silicon valley.
But this I mean, you are expressing a dogma of "Progress" (something John Michael Greer is critical of in his blog and books). You seem to think that technology development is a law of nature, instead of understanding it within the context of industrial modernity, ie dependent on the cheap, abundant fossil fuel energy from the Earth's crust.
Once you understand this context, and the laws of physics, you start to see a vastly different map for the future, such as those present by JMG's models.

'Read Vernadsky' was said in response to a three-sentence post. The rebuttal to those three sentences can't be that long.

I need a reason to read the book beyond one user's assurance that it has the answers. I just don't have the time to read everything I'm recommended.

He's a druid? Isn't that pretty spooked?

I am the SALAD GOD NOW

kek

Postmodern religions like druidism are aware of the dangers of spooks.