Dreamcast thread

I'm looking into buying a Dreamcast but I want to check which ones can play burnt CDs with no trouble. I remember seeing an infograph on here a while back. Dreamcast general too because why not?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/6fE7nRBb
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14fCQ3NXIlW1ZC_gjIejpQVPG34fLWmSoXYgSTyxdRWM/edit#gid=0
amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000059Z7G
bucanero.com.ar/2005/08/12/vmu-backup-cd-v130/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Models produced prior to 2001 can play burned CD-Rs.

Reminder that CD-R rips remove or compress assets to fit on a CD. This is especially true with later games like SA2 or games like Soulcalibur which uses mono audio to fit on a CD. In cases like this it's best to emulate, with Demul being the best DC emulator.

Dreamcast didn't had that many great games. It was worse than gamecube and ps2. Sega should never had entered console war ever. With around like 10 worthwhile games you can't call dreamcast a good console. Even saturn had better third party selection of games.

Saturn doesn't have the only home port of Street Fighter 2nd Impact. Plus Saturn games are expensive as fuck.

Not entirely true. Not every single game is compressed, some have nothing removed or downsampled. Some do, but unless its a terrible rip, the end result is unnoticeable. However, cases like Soul Calibur or D2 do exist in which case buying/emulating is the better alternative. Soul Calibur runs at about $15 so its not that bad. Also, many rippers have added stuff like VGA support to games. Some used to regularly post over at /vr/ sadly thats kind of dead. They we're really good too.

I also believed this but it turns out even model 2s can play burnt games. Its only some of the later model 2s that cant, something like a 3% chance.

Take a look at pic related. You can games in this pastebin, or this google docs. The pastebin includes everything in the chart.
pastebin.com/6fE7nRBb
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14fCQ3NXIlW1ZC_gjIejpQVPG34fLWmSoXYgSTyxdRWM/edit#gid=0

Heres your (you)

Just look at all these amazing shooters:
Border Down
Trizeal
Radirgy
Ikaruga
Triggerheart Exelica
Psyvariar 2
Castle Shikigami 2
Giga Wing 2

What's a good price for a dreamcast? 20-30 bucks?

Here's some interesting games I've recently added to my DC collection. The first one is a recent game that is a great shmup and is absolutely beautiful. The other one is a weird fighter where everyone is airborne like DBZ. Its called Psychic Force 2012. Plays a bit like Astra Superstars for the Saturn but in 3-D. Very interesting.

You should check out Sturmwind as well then. Also
Come on mate

Isn't the dreamcast port the shittiest version of Mark of the Wolves? I know there was an issue with lag on Terry's stage.

Nowadays the going price for one with hookup cables and controller is $40

Nigger please. Sonic Shuffle is okay when played with friends but otherwise yes its rather tedious. Haven't played the other two but just because they're sports games doesn't make them bad. Nice nitpicking though

SOME MODEL 2s CAN PLAY BURNED GAMES

if it's 3202 it can play burned games

If you're buying the console you may as well buy the games too(or that SD card adapter thing)

It's not like SA2 or soul calibur is anything wallet shattering(~30 bucks for the a complete copy of the former, ~15 for the latter)

A complete Sonic Adventure 2 goes around $45-50 currently

20-30 bucks if you're looking just for the console. I managed to get mine with 4 controllers under 50 bucks. Its a relatively cheap console. You shouldn't be paying more than $5-7 for VMUs. You can even find lightguns and wheels for cheap, got two guns ($10 each) and a wheel ($20). Makes playing House of the Dead 2 a lot of fun. Playing Hydrothunder with the wheel is chaotic as hell tho.

Sure if you have a deep enough wallet. However, unless the CDI version is absolute garbage, I don't see why one shouldn't use CDIs. Also
Yeah, never a good alternative. If you're going for an SD card mod its GDEMU and that shit ain't cheap.

Not if you're patient.

I mean unless you really want to play it in Japanese whats they point in buying it? I just checked the CDI version and the changes aren't that radical as some had mentioned in the previous DC thread.

Also anyone here tried NEO4ALL on the DC? I've heard several of the games run really well with a few being rather pesky. Anyone here got any experience? Does one just burn it like a regular CDI? Pic sort of related

Nigger please

That actually sounds pretty cool. I've wanted to do this for my N64 games and GBA games. Do anyone have any suggestions?

Empty cassette tape boxes work well for GB and GBA carts. You could always do like Blockbuster did and put your n64 games in empty VHS clam shells.

Some people like me are autistic and want to have the complete Sonic Adventure 2 experience.

They look way better than the DC ones. I also did the same for my Saturn collection. I just hate the fucking boxes and cd-cases. As far as N64 goes, I know some websites do sell boxes that will hold cartridges though thats going to run a higher price than just regular DVD boxes since they're custom. Then add to that the printing and it'll cost you a pretty penny. Same goes for GBA I believe. Some websites sell cases for DS/GBA so probably same dilemma as above. Doing that for cartridges is not going to be cheap at all, it'll look good though.

Okay I guess. At least you didn't say you had bat hearing and could notice the difference between 7khz.

That's just a stock image amazon uses.
amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000059Z7G

*The typical "CD-Rs wear on the laser" stuff, though i hear stuff like Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs are pretty good about that.

Oh well, thats obvious. I wouldn't anyone buying cheap ass cd-rs if they want their dc to live past the weekend. I normally use Verbatim, never had a problem with those. Even then, if you are going down that route you better do that with all your games.

Also, found this in case anyone wants to import saves for any reason. Just burn this to a cd, insert and copy to the VMU.

bucanero.com.ar/2005/08/12/vmu-backup-cd-v130/

Source? This is truly the worse timeline, imagine a world where SEGA was still in it, instead of doing Sonic Boom and mobile shit.

Look at the silver sticker in the bottom of the Dreamcast. Check the number inside a circle, next to the "NTSC U". That's the console's revision number. Rule of thumb: revision 0 or 1 will play pirated games, revision 2 will not.

ebin bait friendo

Shuffle has the worst cheating AI in its single player game, plus the controls in some of the mini games are ass. It's far from worthwhile.

And sadly there was no way for them to get those numbers within a year. Don't forget they dumped so much money into Shenmue's development that every Dreamcast owner needed to buy it twice in order to see a profit on it.

Shit for real?

I never said it was worthwhile.

Most model 2s can still play burned games though.

Your webms are soundless, Captain.

I just picked up a rev 0 dreamcast at a local game store for 40 bucks. Came with a controller and hookup cables.

Nice, that's not a bad price. I got mine recently for $35 and it came with a free game

Thats pretty good. Rev 0s are not that common

They actually had 2 more at the store. Obviously they had no idea what they had.

Which links have the best CDI sources? So far my first "run" ended in failure…kind of.

All ended in fire.

Fucking went through but PS and R2R keeps freezing and sfx..Sliver was the only perfect one I made. Right now, I'm redoing the Shenmue set. Maybe get House of Dead while I'm at it.

I also Want Evil Twin. That looks fun

How do you use those mega links in that pastebin?

copy and paste into a new tab and search.

Do you have to have the official Dreamcast mic for Seaman or can you use any 3.5mm mic?

Holy fuck am I bad at message boards
Is anyone here getting or have a dreampi? With games getting online so quickly right now I want to hop on and I'm hoping anons here are doing the same.

The mic for seaman fits in the vmu slot
I'm not sure if you can detach the seaman mic and replace it with your own though but at that point whats the point?

Why did Dreamcast had to die Holla Forums?

Sega/SoA's mismanagement, poor marketing and a series of failed and poorly supported products led to a major financial burden and ultimately put them under. In order to save Sega you wouldn't have you get every dreamcast owner to buy a second copy of shenmue, you'd have to slap SoA for considering the 32X, failing to support the Saturn and failing to market the Japanese games let alone release many of them. Also kick the heads of SoJ in the nuts for not taking control over SoA after all that fucking around. Saturn should have destroyed the N64 in America and the Dreamcast should have had tremendous momentum.

tl;dr
A decade of bad decisions and poorly handling their market position is what killed Sega's home console market.

Play Rainbow Cotton.

Because the PS2 was better

But it lives on in our hearts.
Also the PS2 kinda messed things up

Because we can't have nice things, Sega in-general not knowing how to fucking handle their brand after kicking Tom Kalinske out, squandering all Tgood will of their consumers, fucking up in RnD in technology and their tech deals that helped contribute in making the Playstation and N64, fucking up with the Saturn instead of making it work and not lose their investment, and some questionable decisions during the Dreamcast first-party game development (Shenmue is a god-tier game, but why did they invest millions to two games back then?)

Where did you get the CDIs from? How did you burn them? What CD-R brand are you using? Check for games here:
The google docs has many games and the pastebin includes everything in the chart.

Sounds interesting, I'll probably get my hands on one just for Chuchu Rocket alone.

Fucking SEGA.

I think he's the best thing that ever happened to SEGA but he's no saint. A lot of the reasons why the Saturn failed so hard in the States was because that man refused to localize many jap only RPGs. He didn't believe the US market would understand RPGs. Then again by the time he reached the Saturn he had lost most of the control he had over SoA and relations with SoJ. We could've had a Sony Saturn or a SEGA Playstation if that deal had gone through…

tfw we only have Season 4 in script form. Season 5 never ever.

Better for watching DVD movies, maybe.

Gaming though? Dreamcast shit all over it.

That was (((Bernie Stolar's))) handiwork. That man tried his hardest to kill the saturn so they could make room for the dreamcast.

Stolar was right. Saturn was a mistake in terms of hardware and needed to be killed off as soon as possible.

The thing was even more complicated to program for than the fucking PS3.

The 32x started because sega japan wanted a response to the fucking Atari Jaguar of all things, though sega america managed to convinced the japs to make it into an add on. SoJ also sabotaged the fuck out of SoA with that sonic xtreme shit and hiring Bernie stolar, who apparently only got fired because he priced the dreamcast cheaper than the kikes at Japan wanted him to.

Regardless of if he was right, he pretty much burnt all the bridges Tom kalinske didn't burn with that god awful saturn launch, thus ensuring the dreamcast would have no support going forward.

You mean Sega of Japan. They forced the surprise launch on SoA

Tom also wanted to partner with Sony, but SoJ shot that idea down.

Imagine all the PS1 games + those saturn gems. It would've been the tits

Jedi Power Battles and EP1 Racer on Dreamcast?

My life was a lie.

Cant say about the former but the latter is the best version of the game.