Open Source Gaming: Liberty or Death Edition

The open source gaming thread returns once again! A new stable version of Minetest came out if you missed that, a new version of FlightGear came out, a reimplementation of the zEngine used by Gothic 1 and 2 called REGoth is in progress, and The Dark Mod 2.04 is out, with many bugfixes. A list of open source emulators as well as a list of open source chat programs has also been made. There is a Vulkan low level emulator based on Mupen64plus's libretro core called paraLLel in the works that looks promising, as well as a new Playstation emulator called rustation written in Rust. The chat program list has been made because some people on Holla Forums have been using Discord, a proprietary chat program targeted at gamers, when they could just use an open source chat program instead and not have to worry about possible monetization or privacy issues. Feel free to make any recommendations for the lists.

OSI's definition of open source software opensource.org/osd-annotated
FSF's definition of free (Free as in freedom, not price) software gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
Note that this does not mean the assets of the game (Art, sounds, music, 3D models, story of the game, anything that isn't source code) need to be open source/libre. Only the software part of the game needs to be open source for the game to be considered open source software.

GAMES HERE
paste.teknik.io/Raw/tP97u

Open source emulator list: paste.teknik.io/Raw/TUyQS

Open source alternatives to various chat programs: paste.teknik.io/Raw/aOikC

Places to find open source games:
libregamewiki.org/Main_Page

osgameclones.com/

lgdb.org/games?sort_by=created&taxonomy_vocabulary_3_tid=All&taxonomy_vocabulary_5_tid=All&taxonomy_vocabulary_7_tid=All&taxonomy_vocabulary_6_tid=All&taxonomy_vocabulary_14_tid=All&taxonomy_vocabulary_9_tid=All&taxonomy_vocabulary_34_tid=All&taxonomy_vocabulary_16_tid=All&taxonomy_vocabulary_12_tid=39&taxonomy_vocabulary_22_tid=All

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/degenerated1123/REGoth
andrettin.github.io/
wargus.github.io/
github.com/MisterTea/MAMEHub
pastelink.net/2d1q
smcameron.github.io/space-nerds-in-space/
etherplex.org/posts/20160717-scrawls-openmw-update/
oolite.org/whatsnew/
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8592
minetest.net/customize/#mods
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14132
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Here is a video of the REGoth Engine in action, the Gothic 1 and 2 engine I mentioned in the OP. Obviously there is a lot that needs to be done, but its great that its happening at all.

You can find the source code here: github.com/degenerated1123/REGoth

Is there a open source game akin to Warcraft II?

I just flew in from the new Crucible of Omens level and boy are my arms tired!

Yes, there is Wyrmsun, sort of a Warcraft II clone made in the Stratagus Engine. It has a map editor, two races, and some sort of campaign last time I checked. The compiled version seems to only be available from Steam, but the source code and the data is available outside of Steam. Here is the website: andrettin.github.io/

You can also play Warcraft II with the Stratagus Engine via Wargus: wargus.github.io/

What do?

It's decent for Morrowind on Linux, but that's not what I want, I want Freedoom's base for making games but with Morrowind instead of Doom.

Hide it in a way that makes no sense whatsoever. Make a bunch of items combine to get the secrets, in such a way that it looks like the items just have meaningless bits of code attached on them for no reason.

Uncomment the code that's for secrets and use names that aren't very descriptive.

If you don't want people to see your code then why even make it open source?

these methods are dick moves, you will be outed for this. Especially on github

It's not about the code, it's about the gameplay.

I wanted to have a "chemistry" system where you can combine items to get special effects and new items, and the only way to find them is to experiment. But that whole system is pointless if someone can just look at the code and figure out how specific effects are formed and which items could be used to form it perfectly at maximum possible efficiency.

Since it's a multiplayer game, everyone is affected by a public wiki tutorial because people will immediately be running around with the best possible effects and items.

Then make it closed source.

The official slogan of Linux anything.

What do you mean?

What about introducing some level of randomness?
Either that or you could simply have that code on the server side only and not release it. Better than making it closed source anyway.

What does a kernel have to do with this? Do you mean libre software? There are plenty of projects that are feature complete. The developer just started working on this last month as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure how that would help, plus making it randomized would make it very difficult to actually learn the effects legitimately.

I actually had the idea of making the actual values and item combinations (or crafting recipes if you will) "closed source", stored on some separate file. Technically that doesn't make the code closed source or hide any part of the game code, it just doesn't include the official game instance's "configuration". Problem is that I'm not sure how difficult it will be to separate all the information like that.

Obfuscate the code to the point where it's basically impossible to figure it out?
It won't be Stallman Approved, but you keep it open source.

Well, if you just keep specific parameters in the file and load them 1:1 it's going to be just as easy to figure them out.

You could make the chemistry un-reverse-engineerable by including a lot of bit shifts and rotations, just like in hashing algorithms, but it would also make it highly unpredictable.

Wouldn't these effects be thrown into a wiki anyway once people learn them? Honestly doesn't seem to make much difference in the end.

Release the source after the game mechanics have been solved through gameplay.

I gather that user wants to make the chemistry so complex that dozens of people work together gathering ingredients or whatnot and experimenting to figure out the combinations.
A discovery of a new formula would be a game-wide event.
Also, if it's an mmo, maybe some clans would keep their discoveries secret and use them to gain advantage over the others.
Ad infinitum, sure, it's all going to be known, but the road towards complete understanding is the interesting part.

Several options:

whoa there, it' supposed to be a game, okay?
No need to go that far.

Doesn't seem like there's any point in releasing it in the first place if it's too obfuscated to read.

The code would only show how the values are used, but not show what values the items have, or what values are needed for a specific effect/item, or what effects each value has. Even if you learn to craft something specific, you still won't know any of the internal values. You'd also have no realistic way to know whether there is a better recipe out there.

Basically the items are almost completely irrelevant, only the internal values determine which effects/items are created. In some cases you might need one of the ingredients to be a specific type of item in order to craft a new item. Some processes could alter the internal values without actually having any visible effect. You would eventually learn to make connections and and have a rough idea what kind of things each item contain, and maybe even find ways to determine how to get a specific effect, but you could never be 100% sure.

Exactly. I want to recreate the feeling of discovery as well as I can. If you find a cool recipe, you could keep it secret and use it for yourself, or go around and share it with the world.

I'm not making a "MMO" necessarily, it's much smaller.

if you're making a server-based multiplayer game in the vein of SS13, why not have it so that various servers can change the recipes around? so that if people play on different servers they have to rediscover the recipes?

The idea was to have an official server where anyone can join, but of course you could start your own server with your own recipes since it's open source.

I've wanted to make such a thing for a long time, but going even further - having a non-obvious-but-discoverable magic system that would affect the world in a multitude of ways.
Though I was always more inspired by Conway's Life, where the rules governing the world are super simple and widely known, but to this day people are still searching for and discovering new structures.

Well that's easy then - don't hardcode the recipes. Make it so that they are generated (automatically or manually) during server setup. That way you can open source everything and still get exactly what you're after.

And obviously don't send the recipes to clients. Make all recipe checks on the server.

Oh man I've thought about this so much. I really want to make some kind of world simulation game where animals, plants, and civilization move and grow and build on their own and affect each other.

For example if a group of animals have no food, they will move elsewhere to find it. Then the new place will be affected by the new animal population, and so on. If you attack an intelligent group of mobs a lot, they will start to hate the nearby human city and even start a war. And it's actually possible for the human city to fall and be conquered.

It's such a complicated concept that it's hard to even picture how to make something like that work, but god damn if it doesn't sound cool.

That's probably not a good idea, it might be wildly unbalanced. You could get the strongest poison by combining the 2 most common flowers, and then any other poison would be irrelevant.

It might be interesting if the server lifetime was short and got reset every month or something though.

dorf fort

Then avoid making such a thing as "best poison". Give every poison an antidote, and a "vaccine" (giving you partial immunity) which an also be made with some randomly generated ingredients.
This way there is chance that a certain group of players will discover only the poison, while another discovers only the antidote. it would encourage spying and trading between them. Maybe one "tribe" will discover all the antidotes save for one, and this one poison will be their achilles' heel.

i bet you like your cold brew coffee and hand knitted scarf with that you beta fucking hipster

On another note: would any of you be willing to play a character/"plot" driven RPG where all characters speak in caveman dialect?
I mean, "Me Steven. Me like You. Me want potato. steven like potato" etc.
I was thinking of making a game where I randomly generate a world and a crapload of characters, but I also give long backstories to the characters and let them interact with the player and each other. I could make them pretty complex and base quests on their backstories, but I find difficulty in making the player communication system. I'd rather give them caveman grammar and allow them to say a nearly infinite amount of things than limit them with mad-libs style lines.

I'm a pleb who needs a certain level of feedback in order to enjoy a game.

There's several problems I can see.

It's probably going to be tedious to listen to excessive amounts of "me do speak", and it'll make it harder to take their story seriously or even understand it if it was all in caveman speech. RNG in general also doesn't lend itself well to stories and lore.

Sounds like every character would feel the same and it would get old really fast. But I'm fond of quality over quantity.

Dorf Fort's adventure mode has a very complex quest system, but still really lame.

I like my hand knitted scarf only because it was made by my loving grandma, thank you very much.

Also I just feel like making a total conversion for a Minecraft-esque game that runs well, but I don't want to get hands dirty with fucking Java, so .lua and C++ sound way more appealing.

Is it text-only? I would love some word bubbles with symbols like The Sims or Machinarium.

Well, the intention is to put the utmost emphasis on making the characters distinct enough with dozens of variables and actual timelines to their lives.
I would generate the place of a character's birth, the professions of his parents, the parent's ultimate fate as well as the relations between them and the character, his education, criminal history, past relationship, etc etc. Each major even would also have an emotional value assigned to it, which would result in the preferences of said character, as well as their likelihood to open up.

I could probably use symbols for speech, but I thought of actually giving them different regional vocabulary as another element of being unique. Grammar would stay the same, but, say, an "uneducated" easterner would say "steven like greybulb" and a "smart" westerner would say "Steven great enjoyment in Potato" to express the same idea.

Retard, it's "Lua"
Just Lua
Not .lua
Not LUA

your mean Gif/Linux

Tbh you could do that with symbols/pictures too, like have crude stickmen and shapes for simple folks, orient caligraphy-inspired for easterners, and more elaborate painting-esque ones for the intellectuals.

Got it, it's |_ [_] /-\

This thread gets a solid 10/10 from me.

The player isn't supposed to care about this, are they?

Make some kind of Egyptian mystery game where you must read hieroglyphs. Nobody has the patience to read some weird symbol speak if it isn't the whole point of the game.

That's why I'd rather make it text, but I'm not sure if people would be willing to put up with ten pages of "When Steven young, Steven like Steven Father. Steven Father lumberjack. Later Steven Father die from Bandit attack. Steven hate Bandit. Steven want Steven become Guard(…)"

he does not complain, but just compliment the lack of cloudflare.

You can combine both I imagine, keeping all the written text as words and making the character dialogue into images.

That wiki is missing some sourceports like Nuvie and Exult for Ultima 6 and 7, and

Fuck, I meant to include Arx Libertatis

You know, there are paste sites that automatically parse the links.

I'm not going to stop using Holla Forums just because the clearnet domain uses cloudflare. I don't use the clearnet domain. But yea, if the onion goes down, I stop using Holla Forums until it comes back up.

Can any anons who play fighting games tell me why Fightcade still using a closed source emulator? Fightcade itself is open source, but it uses a combination of Final Burn Alpha and old MAME code. MAME itself has changed its license to an open source license not too long ago, is FBA really that vital? Can't seem to find out whether they actually want to get rid of FBA.

Whats the matter, Minecuck? Minecraft.jar not working again? Hows Java and no modding API working out for you? I can seamlessly join servers and autodownload any mods or assets needed, can you do that in Minecraft? Modders don't have to worry about not having a standard API, and can program their mods in a language thats easy to use.

You mean one that shortens links by having it run through a site? Teknik has that I think, I don't really like to do that since people have no clue where they're going.

was that ever a thing? no, it wasn't
there's countless mod apis
that exists in minecraft too. in fact, there's actual active servers in minecraft.

It was a problem when I played Minecraft.
Absolutely none are standard or supported. Having a billion APIs is not desirable.
The autodownloading of mods and assets that the servers have is what is seamless.
Take a look at the server list at least, there are clearly active servers.

You don't need to obfuscate anything. Make a sha256 hash of the ingredients and a table with the hashes, they may know what hash it takes to make the items, but they will never know the combination until they actually try, since sha256 is designed to be impossibly hard to reverse. Of course if you have very little amount of items they will be able to brute force it, but it gets exponentially harder with more variety of items.

dubs of truth

I mean, they parse URLs into clickable links, so you don't have to keep copypasting all that stuff.

Check pastelink.net

You should add MameHUB to the list of emulators.
It's pretty rad for netplay.

The right way to do this is to make the crafting recipes and/or their efficiencies (ie, number of each ingredient per recipe) randomized for each server/playthrough.

Doom 64 is an interesting game from back when ports ended up being their own game, now ports are just shitty versions of the original game usually. It is pretty easy with a mouse and keyboard so far though, you can tell that this was designed for the N64 controller.

Well, I guess its good that someone appreciates those things.

I'm not sure if every piece of source code in there is under an open source license, some of it seems to be unlicensed? Not sure if I should add it, heres the repository: github.com/MisterTea/MAMEHub Couldn't Retroarch with MAME accomplish the same thing essentially? I have not delved into emulator netplay myself.

I suppose someone should add them to the wiki then.

I don't get it, that just looks like a pastebin website.

It is, but the links are clickable: pastelink.net/2d1q

There aren't "countless apis", the fuck are you guys talking about? There is really only one major one, Forge, and nearly everyone uses it.

autodownloading mods is a huge security risk and highly undesirable.

Minetest doesn't run noticeably better, looks like ass, and has most if not all of the same limitations as minecraft in terms of view distance, lighting, world height etc.

Minetest fans are seriously deluded. inb4 muh lua/c++

The world height is over 60k meters in minetest.

Not any more so than TF2 or gmod.
You've not dealt with trying to start your own modpack then, people are fucking retarded when it comes to the simple instructions of "download this, run the forge installer, and place these folders in the .minecraft folder", and they wont be happy if they can't just install another third party launcher to download and install the modpack for them

and from personal experience, minetest runs a hell of a lot better, whereas minecraft continues to lag without using yet another mod just to prevent FPS drops every 10 seconds

hello reddit

I think it's because journalists do it.

One paragraph per sentence is retarded.

Ledditors use double space to create new lines

Forge was completely unusable a few updates ago if you had a laptop. Let's not forget that it likes to use your integrated gpu. This is very apparent if you have a jewvidia optimus card. The only reason why that happens is because java is a pile of shit. I ran minetest and it seems pretty alright honestly. There mods are pretty good.

If only libre game engines were competitive with newer engines today…

B-BUT GODOT

Might as well use Unity.

Whatever script kiddy.

smcameron.github.io/space-nerds-in-space/
another space game I searched for, this seems pretty fucking neat imo

holy fuck this guy's old
sage for doublepost

Old guys are best company, fam.

Fuck man, I gotta play me that game.

Check out Tesseract.

It's mainly a "couple patches" on top of Cube2 Read: basic overhaul of everything rendering related.

Shit looks good, man.

Now cube2 needs live-destructible voxel terrain and it's something you can actually publish a very good arcadey shooter with.

People have deformed terrain in Tesseract before by attaching brushes to weapons but the map's structure becomes progressively less optimized as a result so I'm not implementing that myself.
Wasn't there some /agdg/fag a while back trying to implement his own sparse voxel octree engine?

There has GOT to be a way to optimize that geometry in a thread and patch the geometry with those updates between every frame…

I know doing that is a bit CPU intensive…

I don't know if Tesseract even supports threading or not.

Are any of those MMOs still alive/worth playing?

make the core game open source. gameplay is a closed source addon.

There's a reason everyone who goes to that site deserves a good gassing.

DON'T FUCKING USE SJWHUB
Go use gitgud.io or something.

It doesn't have the shit MUH MERITOCRACY IS OPPRESSION bullshit and arbitrary restrictions.

hmm, maybe its time to look at minetest again.
ran a server and custom modpack for years. Yes, people are dumb. No, I'm never gonna trust random files piped to me from a public server.

no sympathy.

from my current knowledge, only Ryzom, Planeshift and Meridian 59 are the only 'active' MMOs right now.
It also helps that Ryzom also managed to also get a Steam frontend set-up and released, and that Meridian 59 was just very recently open-sauce'd.

how do i make KDE not look like shit like that guy's one?

hashes, hashes and hashes

Frendly reminder OpenMW is finished, and not finished as in complete, it's finished as in the only guy doing the work has left the project and the lead has no fucking skills and does no fucking work is still there, but the fucking still tells people that they can't phase out mwscript with lua still keeping mwscript for compatiblity reasons. oh and he has no intention of directly copying mwse functions and will make his own.

I can't wait for it to go the way of OpenMW.

Gnoooooooooooooo

…play around with themes and widgets? You can download themes for basically any category of components with the star button in the system settings, and most plasmoids can be dragondropped or right-clicked to access the settings.
Also, if you don't like a KDE app, there generally is a replacement that also runs on Qt (and therefore plays nice with your themes). Rekonq is absolute tech demo bullshit, Qupzilla is less so, though they're both autism browsers. KMail, despite all its merits, spams your inbox with requests until it auto-rejects you for too many connections. Trojita may not support multiple accounts, but it doesn't do that shit and you can have it start in the tray.
I actually like the new Breeze themes and use them because other icon sets are incomplete, and other color sets don't have corresponding Firefox skins (Firefox looks like dogshit when it tries to adapt to KDE's GUI settings, so you have to give it its own). The only thing that is a pain is that LibreOffice doesn't autodetect KDE icons and thus looks like shit on dark themes, but the AUR has a package to fix that.

tl;dr fuck around and see what you like best

I once had an autistic idea for an RPG where you are stranded in a foreign land and all the NPCs speak a constructed language. You have to learn it to figure out the plot and be able to interact with them, ideally it would be simple enough that an adventure-game text parser could handle the conversations.
It is of course a pipe dream, as: a) nobody would play it, b) it would require a smart chatbot programmed for a custom language, which I have no idea how one could make on his own. An alternative would be multiple-choice conversations, where you would start with phrases for "can you tell me where is X" or so, which the PC would already know, and then having to use the correct word for "X" from a list of words you've encountered. Guessing or figuring it out correctly would permanently add the English translation in menus where you can use the native word.

Make it a real language and let people learn something while they enjoy themselves, you could be sitting on a great learning tool here, and monet.

as stupid as this sounds, you know well enough that people would refuse to play it because it's an "educational game"

do like says and use a real language but preferrably one that not a lot of people know or that the people who do are not very likely to play your video game, preferrably the one with the lowest speakers possible that still contains words and slang for recent subjects and technical names

That's an issue of perspective though, I'd be interested in helping make a game like that.

Lots of autists around here would love to speak Niponese, probably lots of autists elsewhere too.

I'm gay

I was thinking mostly of Ill Bethisad languages, it's an insane alternate universe where Gaelic is spoken only by the Irish and those Irish that would have become Scots settled in Egypt as gypsies, Scotland stayed Brythonic/Pictish, half of England is Romano-Welsh, and Polish, Silesian and Slovak are basically Latin (Rome stayed out of Egypt and went really far north instead), but with the sound changes that occurred in real-life Polish since Proto-Slavic. Also, Czech became a grammatically Germanic language with articles and shit, Japanese is written in Latin because Catholicism was stronger, and Dalmatian Romans are still alive. The USSR was also fascist rather than gommie, which the cuck authors use to make the point of "fascism is bad too, waah", and Romania is divided into post-fascist kingdoms, while Bulgaria was even more fascist than the not-USSR. America is divided between a not-USA that includes most of Canada, a Spanish-colonized white and monarchist Texas, and the Nordic and not-Polish Deep South. I'd love any game to be set in this universe, honestly.

Sounds niece.

congratulations to anybody who manage to read that post without getting an aneurysm

It wouldn't be that bad as long as people spoke a very simple language. Perhaps would not be very popular with normos, but I'd give it a spin.

Wait, what?

If I understand correctly, user wants the player to actually type in everything he wants to say, and the computer to respond in a comprehensible manner with custom-generated replies, not just a handful of "fill in the blanks" lines.

Nigger everyone would know of all the combination after 2 days, it's pointless.

That doesn't really solve the problem because if you can't brute-force it then players can't figure out the recipes by themselves. You'd have to provide them in-game or something like in Daggerfall, which allows them to be documented given time. Randomizing them per-game or per-server is a much better idea, although still susceptible to abuse.

Assembly should be confined to either anemic embedded platforms, or to a few functions that need to be optimized. Portability and ease of development is way more important than max speed.

Good thing it's reasonably complete right now, and the work will always be waiting to be picked up again.

Not sure where are you drawing this conclusion from.
A limited amount of resources + actually complex chemistry that requires a specific order of operations with multiple ingredients each could remain unsolved for months.

Yeah that's nice, it's good that OpenMW has gotten as far as it is but for me personally it's still missing so much features, I built a bunch of new Canton's for Vivec more similar to their design in the artwork with an emphasis on being open air and having distinct layouts, except the Saints Canton's were mirrored and I've only really bothered with the main quadrant but the CS has so few features that I can place these in game but I can't rotate or nudge them into place, I can't even delete the old Canton's I made a Mud crab replacer but the OSGt/b format doesn't support skinning as of yet so it's just a static mudcrab with no collision. I so much just want to get these in game but these hol ups have seriously drained my motivation to finalize those assets and complete all the others I have been grinding away on.

But if you have up to thousands of people trying over and over again I think it would take much less time, also you forget how autistic some people are.

That was actually just a filler post I made because my archival software sometimes crashes if I don't make those but it is :3

Do you not know where cheat codes, walkthroughs and tutorials come from? They come from players who discovered it from just playing the game. Unless you make that shit random every time for every user, it's utterly moot. And if you do, it's also moot because just looking into the code doesn't mean shit if you get random recipes every time.

This.

I refer you both to Conway's Game of Life, which is a cellular automaton with just 2 physical states, rules that can be described in a minute, and it still took 40 years to discover the first replicator, because the structure is so insanely complex.
Even though the existence of one has been mathematically proven years prior.

Heck, I refer you to REALITY™ where we have known of the existence of dozens of elements for years, yet we are still discovering new chemicals to this day. Note that some of those chemicals require the construction of colossal structures and dozens of people working for years to even synthesize.

Conway's game of life was a tool with which users tested their creations, nothing was previously created, and comparing reality to a game developed by one guy is like comparing the universe with the atom, it's completely out of scale.

Just use Japanese for the foreign language. Faggots will lap it up

FTFY

I digress. People still played Oregon Trail despite it being an educational game, the problem isn't that people don't wanna play games because they're "educational", the problem is that people don't want to play games that are similar to the majority of educational games, aka shit.

They didn't program in replicators nor any other of that shit. They only programmed in a very small handful of basic rules and the replicator is what emerges out of it if you do it in a very specific fashion. It's totally different from what you want to do with your would-be game, that is hard-coding everything in and then jacking off to how much time it takes people to discover all the retarded shit you put in there.

I fancy the trend to refer to the creation of any structure in GoL as a "discovery"

You are disregarding the fact that the developer guy does not necessarily have to plan everything out in detail.
It would still be a fun game if he just coded 20 chemical elements with simple rules on how they affect each other and he did not even bother to think about all the possible results.
And I believe this might be the intention.
You get millions of possible formulas, some of them unique, some of them overlapping, some of them having garbage results with no worth. Maybe one of them results in a poison that kills anything that even looks at it? Who knows. it's quantity over quality here, and the point of the game is finding the needle in a huge ass haystack.

Well in that case wouldn't you already know the effects of a certain chemical by just looking at the reagents, because unless the dev comes up with a complicated chemistry which emulates the real one I don't believe it wouldn't get that complicated, besides at that point hiding the code would be useless since even if you looked at it you wouldn't get shit.

*It would get that complicated

Sure, seeing the players figure out the effects of each reagent is actually the point of the idea guy.
Also, several solutions to the problem:
all of those make the alchemy process way more complicated and requiring far more testing to figure out.

Nope. You don't know how the system works.

The possible recipes are massively exponential. There's no "the combination" for anything.

After some time people would discover all.
You would also have to make wipes every now and then so it has a point to experiment and shit.

>etherplex.org/posts/20160717-scrawls-openmw-update/
at least actually source your fucking claims

Not only devs drink Cuckrainian kool-aid, it also looks and sounds like typical no-effort indie-shit.

That's worded like SJW garbage, but it doesn't actually seem to say anything wrong.

It is oh-so-subtle allusion to Maidan. Look at the fucking flags at bases. And then there is a description on the game's homepage:
And of course it was made by some hipsters from Butthurt Belt.

Saving this thread from death.

For those who are unaware, theres some groups of anons playing Xonotic and Minetest in their own threads. Xonotic: Minetest:
Probably why this thread is slowing down now. We've made good progress in Minetest building our town, and ethereal mapgen is quite nice. A great wall is being built to keep out the sandmen mobs, and someone is mapping the world. Pic related is from the Minetest thread, the Banana Republic is in the center there with that wall. There is a Pacific North American Holla Forums server for Xonotic. The Xonotic folks schedule games in their thread using polls, it obviously takes a bit to get people together for a game but thats par for the course for arena shooters.

Sorry, no thanks. I know it'd be more convenient but I haven't found a site that isn't full of web 2.0 cancer that will do it, and I also prefer ones that focus on privacy. Just copy and paste the whole list into a text editor or something that parses those addresses into links if you need to visit lots of them.

Was scrawl the only one doing the real work?

Is this game suppose to have moonrunes? how do I change it to english?

I am mighty psychic, and I can read your thoughts, and from that, I know that you fap to filthy hentai games! REPENT!

No I play shitty doujin games

Check out the thread linked. There are instructions there

Basically, put language = en in your minetest.conf

What's Butthurt Belt? I guess it's a pun on some real place, but I don't get the reference.

That sucks, but OpenMW is almost 1.0 anyway. The thing that has been holding it back from a proper release is the unfinished CS.

He was behind all the heavy graphics stuff, and I don't envy him. After waiting a long time for the next major release of Ogre 3D he finally decided to switch to OpenSceneGraph instead, which required a complete rewrite of all the graphics code. It's a miracle he even lasted this long.

This thread needs some activity. Theres been some progress in Freeablo with the multiplayer recently, embed related. Also, Oolite 1.84 came out not too long ago, heres whats new: oolite.org/whatsnew/

Didn't they want to implement a bunch of features that Morrowind's engine never had like better physics by the 1.0 release?
Stunt Rally's development halted because of the new Ogre3D version not being out IIRC.

Oh shit Oolite still getting updates?

I have met the devs, they are nice guys, also you play as Russians in later part of the game.

The plan has always been to make 1.0 be on par with vanilla Morrowind, nothing more and nothing less. The exception are blatant bugs (obviously) and when improving upon something would be no more work than replicating it, such as making the alchemy interface better. Everything else is for post-1.0.

What do you fags feel about a delayed release of the source code? I'm thinking about making a game and want to release it to steam so I can earn a little bit of shekels on the side. Give it a year after release I'll release the source code.
Is it too much kikery?

Can you tell me more about Minetest? Seems like a 1:1 copy of minecraft, just open source and, I'm guessing, without all the mods that make Minecraft actually ok. Why?

Yes and no, the goal for 1.0 is parity but they weren't going to throw out good engine features, distant lands would have made it into the next release if Scrawl didn't leave, he already had it working to an extent.

But that's not even the issue entirely, Scrawl was the best developer they had, he did the most work and his work was really good. I hope he comes back in the not too distant future.

I haven't checked it out in months, it's an engine copy running in c++, but the devs wanted to focus on engine rather than content, you have to download mods to get the content, I recall there being 1 mod which did that but I don't recall what it was called. Minecraft recently got a c++ version so Minetest only has being open source on Minecraft.

Ok, I already spilled the shekels on MC so I'll pass.

Reasonable, it's the same method as doom/quake, wait 5 or so years to make all the profits you can and then open source it once there's no need to make money since you're loaded and making new games anyway.

Just releasing the source code in the first place shouldn't really affect sales that much, should it?

Hell, just think of any of the what-must-be-hundreds of stories of games getting more sales because of modding.

what mod is that?

Warlords Battlecry 3 source code anyone?

you were playing those japanese animes where cum comes out in galleons werent you

Isn't the C++ version exclusive to Windblows 10?

It shouldn't. I'm not expecting much sales since the mechanics I'm developing are going to appeal to a small niche. Including myself. Is there a license that allows that?

I was already planning to make the game fairly modifiable since I know if I'm lone wolfing this project I'm not going to be able to pump out a lot of content.

the c++ version is a port of the mobile version
that's why it's more barebones that java minecraft, they hired a more competent guy to remake minecraft for the mobile edition and that's what they've ported to PC for the "windows 10 exclusive"
despite the fact that the majority of players only keep playing it because of the mods which are all for the java version
so, good job micrsoft, you ported a version that pc users don't really give a shit about

yeah it would be pretty nice if they sped up mobile development so the java and mobile/win10 versions have the same content and then introduced an actual fucking modding api with an abstraction layer so we don't have to rely on minecraftforge

Any, why not?

I'd tolerate it, but probably not buy it until there is source (assuming the game is good too). It's only really kikery if you don't honour your agreement. Still pissed about Minecraft in that regard, there's no chance of source now they're owned by MS.

You're forgetting cross-platform support and an actual modding API. Also not MS

That allows what? Open source after 1 year? I will assume you hold copyright on the entire source and aren't subject to copyleft through a third-party library (most are LGPL or permissive). If so just use the standard proprietary licensing terms of your choosing, then relicense the source as GPL 1 year later.

t. not a real lawyer

Is there any damn libre sandbox game that uses marching cubes or something similar instead of making another shitty mineshit clone?

why is engrish so funny

You can release the source code under any license you want. If you don't want people to grab your code and then run with it as if it was their own you should pick the GNU GPL, it forces anyone who releases software with changes to the GPLed code to also share the code. In contrast, if you used a permissive license like BSD or MIT someone (like me) could take your code, use it to make a proprietary game and then never release the code for his game. You are basically begging for your code to get stolen.

why does MIT/BSD License even exist if they can just use Public Domain or CC0 due to some bullshit law.

Both MIT and BSD require attribution and also include an "as-is" type clause, it's not quite the same as public domain. CC0 is basically a simpler way of putting something into public domain.

Oh look it's fucking this guy again.

That isn't true, and the C++ version of Minecraft is a port of the mobile version which is far behind the Java version.
What Minetest has is:
There are likely other differences, but I haven't played Minecraft in a while, maybe someone who has recently could point them out. In general Minecraft was just getting more and more full of stuff that some people find to defeat the purpose of Minetest. I do not know if Microsoft will place legal language somewhere that makes your mods made with their API (if it ever gets finished) theirs or forced under certain licenses, that could be another issue with Minecraft in the future. Bethesda has done this with their modding tools, its not exactly unprecedented for video game companies to do this. Anyway, the base subgame for Minetest is barebones and this gives people a bad impression of Minetest usually. I'm guessing the developers did this because maintaining and developing a big subgame isn't an easy job when you're trying to improve and maintain the C++ code as well for free, and people generally have different opinions on what should be in the game past whats in minetest_game. Maybe they should have an official subgame to show off what Minetest can do in a "full game" download, and have the minetest_game still serve its purpose as a modding foundation in a minimalist download.

Saving the thread from death. pls respond

There's no way in hell it has. I'm pretty sure minecraft has more mods than any other videogame in the word. Here's some major mods to get you started, not even going to bother with the minor ones: Thaumcraft, Ars Magica, Roguelike Dungeons, Immersive Engineering, More Player Models, Twilight Forest, Bibliocraft, Carpenter's Blocks, Glenn's Gases, HarvestCraft, Steve's Carts, Computercraft, Archimedes Ships, Smart Moving, Millenaire

The Xonotic thread is over here now.

The server has maintained 2nd most active for the past week too, and that's with unmodified Xonotic (meanwhile the super popular mode is minsta/instagib+hook).

So far, the polling starts on Wednesday and is for Thursday, Friday, and the rest of the weekend, which leaves Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday playing times up to whenever whoever says they're going on the server. But generally the most consistently voted popular time is the evenings.
You're all welcome to join in.

What are some recommended minetest subgames?

Devs are Polacks, therefore they are butthurt at Russia for corrupt government hurting them and their friends. In 40 years Polish oblast will be butthurt at European Union for corrupt government hurting them and their friends.

Butthurt Belt of Europe - countries that bitch and moan about Soviet occupation non-stop, and are paranoid (read: secretly dreaming) about Russia taking over them again. Most prominent members are Baltic countries and Poland.

It's right in the name: Berkley and MIT. In academia it doesn't really matter when your code gets "stolen", you are not getting paid for making products but for doing something to get your funding from the university. Attribution is important because it allows you to present what you have been working on when moving from academia to the industry. In fact, being able to make the code proprietary can be beneficial because a corporation interested in it can just hire you to continue working on the codebase you are already familiar with, and keep it proprietary.

Stampy's subgame is alright, although town generation is buggy and I honestly don't care for towns in the first place: forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8592 I've switched to simply using the mods that I specifically like. Some prominent mods are featured here: minetest.net/customize/#mods The texture pack I use is PixelBOX Reloaded: forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14132

I didn't say that Minetest had more mod variety or anything. There are some things that are just impossible or poorly implemented in Minecraft. Minecraft's map generation suffers from limitations, and I haven't seen any mods reach the level of Minetest's map generation mods. I haven't seen the equivalent of Travelnets either. I don't think Minecraft modders/developers typically make strange Finnish things, for what thats worth.

Is their fear unwarranted somehow? Russia has annexed Crimea and occupied part of Moldova since the fall of the USSR.

Because Crimea wanted to be annexed, and because it had strategic importance to Russia. Now, what the Russia could possibly want from Estonia, or Latvia? Their sprats?
What does the Russia has to do with Transnistria? It doesn't even recognizes it.

Life's good.

Does MineTest have a Terrafirmacraft like mod yet?

There's a subgame similar to TFC but not as autistic.

Looks like I'm sticking to having microsoft's prick up my ass.