Guild Wars 2

So the expansion for this game is half off at this point and I'm somewhat tempted to buy it.

I've bought the base game twice back when it was paid, once for full price and the other time for 5 dollars.
Normally I wouldn't give a fuck but this seems like the only non-sub game that has a big community.

I will say I did feel like shit that ArenaNet basically said fuck you to everyone who bought the base game.

Has anyone here played the expansion? Or should I just ignore this shit?

Sad thing is WoW is probably going to die after Legion comes out since everyone will flip out at Blizzard.

I tried FFXIV and I'm on the fence since there wasn't much of PVP scene on there and I really like PVP.

Most of Holla Forums will call you a faggot for even considering supporting Anet any further. You're already an idiot for buying the game twice but I bought the CE so I have little room to talk

The expansion is okay. I hear the new class, Revenant, is OP though is likely to be nerfed soon. The new specs for the existing classes seem alright, though I haven't bothered to mess around with most of them yet.
If you're looking for PvP, you can't really go too wrong with this game. The PvP is still pretty solid, even if it is limited in comparison to class GW. Go over to half/vg/ and ask there, check on the official forums to make sure you're in a server with a decent WvW grouping, and download/play the game a bit before you decide if you're going to give them more money.

Well, since we're discussing how terrible GW2's non-programming staff are, have an idiot with a lack of self-awareness. This explains a lot about GW2's terrible directions it's been going lately.

About the game itself: the "Free To Play" tag is a total lie, you will be gimped to hell and back (no gliding, no access to post-level cap maps, can't do real guild missions, no unlocks in PVPā€¦ the list goes on and on). OTOH, the "expansion" is a one-time payout, it's pretty much like buying the game like us who played it at release.

Actual helpful advice: Avoid the official forums if you can help it: it's run like North Korea and full of sheep. Holla Forums would probably flay me alive for recommending the shill-infested reddit, but /r/Guildwars2 is still the best place for getting the latest info.

I'm certainly considering flaying you yes. Can't speak for anyone else.

This game blows. You know it blows. Why the hell would you want to give them more money when you know its bad? None of the core problems are solved with the expansion its just Anet jewing you out of shit with cashshop and screaming how progressive they are while running GW2 on a nickle budget while charging the players like they paying for the next coming of god or some shit.

Just stop.

You know what man, I'm just going to listen to you and stay the fuck away.
I'll be fine without it.

I bought it once, at launch, and played right up until the expansion came out and I still have buyers remorse.
Why the fuck would you buy that terrible game twice?

As a GW1 player, this game was a stab right in the heart

I don't even remember anymore why I bought it the second time.

But why?

As someone who genuinely loves the game (feel free to call me a shill) I don't see major problems with the expansion itself, I see problems in the absolutely retarded playerbase. Year-long nagging about lack of content (a.k.a. where are my farmable repeatable instances) led to them making the expansion and giving them just that with raids and large meta-events and still people complained. They made a new borderland for WvW that was "shit" because people couldn't bother learning it, when it was clear they were planning to introduce gliding in it to shake things up.

I think the expansion model is not what the game needed, but what we did get wasn't bad at all. They fucked up the legendary weapons in a spectacular way, but considering the sheer amount of autism you need to have to make one, most players (who are casual, let's face it) won't care.

As always, if you ever considered WoW or FFXIV to be good games at any point in time, stay the fuck away from GW2, you won't find what you want in it.

It is shit. Stop funding SJWs.

Came across this idiot.
The score made me chuckle

The game could have been great. I don't regret buying it, I regret that it ended up the way it did. There's a special place in hell for the people in charge of this game.

Just turn around and walk away.

If you want to support the people who censored female outfits, removed female animations because the wore "too girly", added a tranny to the game, made the story protagonists lesbians and showed it into peoples faces, then sure go ahead and buy it.

I stopped playing when the expansion came out, I will not support this SJW bullshit

I remember none of the starter zones being fun at all (Charr, plant people, and Asura were the biggest offenders with Charr being the most broken one), and I also remember all of them being ghost towns within two weeks of GW2's release, making some special missions impossible to complete.

Even though fanboys are still struggling to defend WoD, Sjws and fanboys are going to keep WoW alive. Only Metzen can kill WoW with his corruption.

Fuck you user.

Guild Wars 2 is amazing because no matter what, the game never really seems to take steps forward. They add shit and shit and more shit, yet the game fundamentally remains boring as fuck after exploring 100%

Anyone who still plays: I presume speedrunning specific dungeon paths over and over is STILL the #1 way of making money?

For a time, dungeon gold was nerfed and nobody farmed them. With the expansion, they give away even more gold and tokens than before. Fractals are also profitable, the new meta-events in expansion maps (Tarir especially) are also quite profitable. Even WvW and PvP can net you a profit with the reward tracks they changed.

What happened to the original GW devs?

Get GW1 instead.

it hasn't even been 4. unless you preordered like a dumbdumb.

Did they add anything more than zerging the same map in circles over and over and having to use an autoclicker to open the lootbags?

No. Don't even touch the damn thing. GW2 is probably the most disappointing MMO to ever be released, and the most over-priced video game to be released. There are F2P games better than this piece of shit, and none of them had a massive marketing campaign that screwed over the original fan-base of the game. You would be better off playing The Old Republic or World of Warcraft over this game, at full price with monthly subscription, than would be playing this.

It's a complete and total disgrace to the original game. It has an over-simplified skill system which shits on what used to be the most skill-oriented system in the entire MMO genre. It is composed of nothing but grinding and clearing out areas like a F2P MMO, in direct contrast to the original, which was about completing the storyline and quests and then heading into a PvP environment, with the end-game PvE content being there as a challenge to your skills rather than an essential part of progress. There is a complete removal of any tactical elements that used to exist in the form of partying up into groups.

Guild Wars was the greatest MMO to have ever been created. GW2 is the absolute worst. It does everything wrong that the original did right, in spite of having claimed that it would only be an improvement.

The original Guild Wars devs were leaving slowly from the company over time as they left to work on other projects, or just went out of the industry entirely. The downfall of ArenaNet can be traced directly to their location - the west coast. Whenever a person left, someone new had to be brought onto the team. As the game expanded, new people had to be brought onto the team. When they started work on GW2, a lot of new people to be brought onto the team.

Before, the west coast was a gold-mine in terms of tech folk who grew up in the Silicon Valley mentality of the area. The new folk coming in were nothing but a bunch of overtly-political retards without any real skills. And slowly but surely, they pushed out all of the old guard of the game. Now we have almost none of the original writers and designers, and the people who are there produce what is essential fan-fiction. Hell, I would go so far as to say that fan-fiction writers would have done a better job with the material that they were given.

Giving money to NuANet now is the same as spitting on everything the original designers worked for, and the only reason I don't regret preordering it is that it made me certain to never preorder a game again.

No. Even doing that is bad at this point. You can buy an account off of somebody if you want to, but don't actually pay for the game. You're just giving money to those faggots. The original devs don't get a cent.

GW1 private server when?

I bought the expansion because of the promise of improved fractals. The changes to fractals made the place so fucking bad that I lost all and any hope in anet. I also tried the first raid boss and it was atrocious.

The only good thing I can say about the expansion is that the first playthrough of each new zone was great. You can say whatever bad things you want about GW2, but whoever's in charge of making the open world assets and the guy doing jumping puzzles are fucking awesome. Exploring the new zones was fun, difficult, rewarding, varied and it made me want to party with strangers. Of course one or two weeks later it all devolves into mindlessly zerging the meta events, but the first few days were bliss.

Verdict: don't reward bad game devs by giving them money. They have some talented people on their team, but it's not worth rewarding those talents with money when the majority of the team is so fucking bad.

HA!

This thing is haemorrhaging numbers. Not wildstar bad but worse than wow bad.