Signs of a struggle

What are some good video games where your character gets very visibly physically injured in response to HP dropping, armor being damaged, limbs being wounded etc.

Vehicles and mechs don't really count but feel free to mention a game that has REALLY good damage mechanics

Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
With NV your aiming is crippled like no tomorrow if one or both of your arms are damaged. And with legs you move much slower.

Now that's just silly. It should certainly take longer to reload and take a larger amount of stamina/health to fire the weapon, but most of your aiming is done with your eyes not your arms.

Just making your hitscan weapon fire a few degrees off-center isn't a good way to handle your character having impaired aim either. The gun is going to shoot where it's pointing regardless of how crippled the person wielding it is.

are you legit retarded or just pretending

Too bad you can spam doctor's bags and stimpaks in real-time, even in hardcore mode. Makes injury seem so much more fleeting.

Has there ever been a game that gets injury, illness, and realistic needs correct? Hunger, thirst, and sleep always feel like I'm just filling up arbitrary bars, and injury is either meaningless or non-existent.

He means your aim sways because your arms are fucked, so you can't hold your gun straight

I seem to recall call of cthulu having a similar thing, but also your mind gets messed up if you go crazy. But it's been so long I forget

This thread is fucked now.

you're not understanding the point I'm trying to make here

your crosshair on-screen is where you're going to shoot, right?

Well if it's pointed at the intended target but it doesn't hit because your arms are "crippled" by way of the shot magically curving a few degrees right out of the barrel, how does that work at all?

It should be greater weapon sway if your arms are crippled, and blurry vision if your head is crippled. The former doesn't work that way, but the latter already does in FNV.

Laying around in a hospital for weeks and months of physical therapy wouldn't make for very compelling gameplay.

It's more a cursor than a crosshair. It's a placeholder to let you know what you're pointing at. The gun itself wobbles and sways when your arms are fucked, super noticeable when you're actually using your sights

Are you pretending to be retarded?
Crippled arms either cause your crosshair to sway uncontrollably, or increase the size of your crosshair to represent your difficulty to aim properly.

I honestly have not had any crippled parts in New Vegas in a while and was runnign off the assumption that your aim sways more like In Survarium

speaking of

In Survarium you can take damage on body parts and not be able to walk and straight up not hold up your gun as well as sway as you take more damage

not quite the same as the player being physically damaged, but i noticed the detail of enemy damage has taken a nosedive over the years

see

I don't know about hunger and thirst, but Dorf Fort definitely has the whole crippling injury thing down pretty good.

what

The more recent Alone in the Dark has a pretty neat way to show damages, you can see wounds in first peraon mode on your body and then heal that with stuff you got in your inventory, wich are your pockets.
Not a great game, but an ok 5/10 game.

sorry

can't find a video so I'll explain

Constantine is out of options so he slits his wrists and summons Lucifer because lucifer wan'ts to personally bring him to hell when his time is up

that gif is of him teasing Constantine because his wrists are slit and he can't light the cig and is sort of lighting it for him

I know the scene very well but I don't know what the fuck you're getting at.

There's a line between having your arms injured and your arms rendered completely useless.

and crippled limbs comes before that line

You know that's not what I mean. You shouldn't be able to permanently patch up a gaping wound or a broken limb in the heat of battle, but neither should you be able to completely ignore them.

we used to have ap cost for that

Not for characters, but in Homeworld your ships will end up showing signs of damage like smoke, sparks, fire, etc. And the signs of damage will continue to grow as the health continues to deplete, so it's progressively burning up to show you which units are most damaged with visuals in case you don't have all the ships selected to see their life bars. Then you can send in support ships to heal the more damaged ships or have the damaged ones retreat a bit to get out of the fray, and the visual indicators of which ones are more damaged are pretty huge as other RTS's I've played don't do it in the same way.

Lots of times, I've seen RTS's have damage effects for when units and such are at half health, but don't really show indicators beyond that.

In the Origins Wolverine game, you could get some extreme wounds. I remember that being hit with enough heavy explosives, especially in one chase segment, could basically completely skin you.

The Last of Us has your character get a new animation set when hurt, it's actually useful in grounded mode where the UI is disabled.

mario 64

Wolverine Origins and Severance BoD are the best ones i can remember

This shit should standard by now, game developers are lazy pieces of shit

that sounds similar to MGS 3's system, just better.

Speaking of Alone in the Dark, I remember Resident Evil 2 characters limping when their health status dropped, and limping even more when you got to near death. Dino Crisis did the same thing but you also left a blood trail that let dinos track you.

Waifu Simulator

I loved how Resident Evil did that, not only did it let you know if you were close to dying without opening the menu but it gave you real consequences to being near dead, since not only could you die easily but you could also get hit way easier than normal. Heck in RE1 being at yellow health was a big enough hazard when there was a hunter around because of pic related.

It should be, but it appears the Fallout MC has forgotten the face of his father.

GG xrd revelator after someone loses a round their character has little scuff marks on them

How does the game work anyway if you're immortal?

Maybe soldier of fortune. I'm unsure if the player is affected by the gore zones too.

Nope.

Deathtrap Dungeon

Ah. I remember this from an old issue of CVG.

Only because it had this ad, though.

undertale

Yet you could just pause the game and use WEED LMAO mid fight to be brand new. Old RE did a lot of things right but they are really overrated games.

And reloading too but that's part of what I like about it, oddly enough, I liked it in Dragon's Dogma as well. Besides the limited amount of items and ammo made it so you had to at least be careful not to go around wasting plants and min-maxing each recovery.

The Suffering had a lot of blood on your person although it was the enemies it still gave a sense of the intensity of battles.

As user said, Blade of Darkness. Too bad GOG pulled it from the store. Guess you'll have to pirate it.

Shadow of the Collossus had slow degredation of character model over the course of the game.

DOA on 8th gen consoles had soft physics for clothes damage.

Black Desert Online
Vindictus

Not a great example but I've been playing Xenoverse lately and if you lose most your HP you get that sort of DBZ soot face and tattered clothing look.

It's a shame female saiyans can't get their shirts blown off during fights.

Show them Kamehamamaries

Not an incredibly good example, but one of the first I ever noticed. In a PS1 James Bond game (Tomorrow Never Dies, I think it was) when Bond got very low on health his 3rd-person idle animation would change from just standing there looking like a badass, to sort of slumped over holding onto his shoulder as if it were injured.

Might and Magic 7: For Blood and Honor

You don't seem to understand all that well, in F:NV you sway uncontrollably if you have your arms crippled, your viewmodel in game also sways and your accracy as a result decreases.

Here, I made a webm which explains it better then just words and to test out my webm making skills and new recording setup. I couldn't get my other arm to get crippled which made it less obvious, but if you get both of them crippled your aim will be all over the place and you won't even hit anywhere near the center.

Dammit, I forgot the bitrate onto just 1200.
sage for off topic