Stealth game thread

about to play pic related, but the problem is i suck at stealth games, any tips you can give someone who is terrible at them, any other stealth games you want to suggest that are Fun ?

also what are your control scheme for this game.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/l8oYO
theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/thief-the-dark-project-usa/
mega.nz/#!Tx40CRjQ!PwXYhzfHfEkapTZMYw_RnzCzlnm_DhnnAfyI1ScaOqc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Take your time. With stealth games having a bit of patience and taking things slow makes the game much easier.
The first splinter cell games were fun

thanks user.

how long do you think it will take to git gud enough to have a Pacifist Run.

Don't abuse quicksaves if you're having a hard time, you'll end up using them as a crutch instead of learning how to play the game. Play The Dark Project instead of the Gold version, Gold throws an unreasonably tough level at you early in the game.

I think the only thing you need to change is A and D for strafing instead of turning the camera, it's a Dark Engine quirk.

Once you've played through the game once on Expert or Hard and have an idea of what you need to do and where everything is would make a pacifist run a lot easier, especially since the higher levels usually make it a mission objective not to either kill humans or to alert them in some missions.

whats the different between gold and the dark project?

so just git gud at the game first got it.

Thief can be very tricky to play with good control scheme.

I finished for the first time Thief Gold and I recommend this:

WAD (Foward = W, Left = A, Right D)
Space Jump
F to block with sword
1 to Sword
2 to Blackjack
3-9 and the next keys to arrows, mines and Flash bombs
F1-F10 to potions, holy water, other items etc.
TAB to next item
Whatever key you have above TAB for last item
S will be used to walk, it's really useful, it's worth it having to turn around to go back.
Q and E for leaning
If you have a mouse with extra buttons I recommend assigning them to Lockpick 1 and Lockpick 2
Mouse 1 to fire, Mouse 2 to use item and Mouse 3 (wheel) to drop an item, you could also use R to drop.
C to crouch, Control to toggle crouch.
Autosave with F11 and autoload with F12 (You can change this, I just use this but it's probably not the best way).

Godspeed, taffer.

Three additional missions. Thieves' Guild (everyone's least favorite mission) slotted in at #6, The Mage Towers at #9, and Song of the Caverns at #11. Song of the Caverns was decent.

There's also a mission with half of its content gutted because they placed the thing you're supposed to steal in the original version of that mission in The Mage Towers instead.

lmao

If you play on Expert you can't kill humans. A better challenge, is not to use the blackjack unless you can't find any other way.

The Mage Towers is pretty good

By the way why do everybody hates Thieves Guild? I get that the mission is way to big and to maze-y but it's not that bad compared to The Hauted Catedral and the Lost City. I mean I don't think Thief has a single outright bad mission but at least Thieves Guild was a mission with guards and thievering.

Speaking of which, you should be playing on Expert, because if you don't you're missing out on half of the content in the game.

No

i want to git gud at them so baptism by fire.

thats good, what else change in the game on high difficulty.

that sounds like hell.

Water arrows, Moss arrows, and peaking behind walls and doorways does a lot to make it possible.

It adds more objetives, something I wish more games did.

For example, in a mission you are in an old, abandoned city. In normal you are supposed to find a gem, in hard you are added the quest to find a torch (?) from a patricians house somewhere in the city and in expert, aside from the torch, you are also given the challenge to find an altar of a deity that's supposed to look over thieves and leave some coins in it.

It's pretty cool and the higher the difficulty the more fun the game is, or at least in most of them

For shame OP.

my bad user if i make a thread again i'll make sure to include them.

Try using items and objects that make sound to lure guards away from positions. Noisemaker arrows are the best and most reliable at doing this but you can also throw props, shoot broadhead arrows at hard surfaces, hit your blackjack against a hard surface or even jump in place to get guards to move out of there normal position. Just try to be quick once you get them to move and make sure you also have somewhere to hide or run to should they get too close for comfort.

how do i use sound as an weapon to distract enemies ?

everytime i do it, it ends up hurting more than helping.

user you answered my question before i asked it.

Styx was fun as fuck, had a good story, and has a sequel on the way. Highly recommend it.

The only thing I'd caution is that the story and some of the dialogue will seem incoherent when you first encounter it, but will make sense in retrospect later on.

To answer your second part
first the noise arrows far, far away from you. Firing a noise arrow will put all guards in the immediate vicinity on full alert, which makes them much more likely to find you, even if you're fully hidden in shadow. Softer sounds like the other arrows and blackjack won't have as drastic of an effect.

sauce? is it the same as this?

the best type of story for a game.

thanks thats a lot of insight, i would always try to hide in the shadows when i used one and they would always find me.

been trying to find sauce for that webm for a while.

If a guard is searching for you don't try to blackjack him as it rarely works and most likely your just gonna put yourself in a worse position if you try. Instead stay away from the guard as much as you can as even hiding in shadows wont help if he's searching for you and try to wait it out until he goes back to normal.

I'm almost certain it's from The Strain.

just searched "strain jewish girl"

i found the source its the movie Generation War.

thanks m8.

or maybe its a tv show.

Actually I will be the bigger neckbeard here and say I can prove I'm right, that scene is definitely from The Strain.
archive.is/l8oYO

our we talking about the same webm ?

because i just watched the scene on jewtube and the description says its from the show generation war.

I thought you meant this one

The money you use to buy items at the start of a mission won't carry over to the next one, so spend as much of it as you want. Items don't carry over either, so don't be afraid to use whatever you need.

nope this is the one

and the show is propaganda out the ass but lets not discuss something unrelated to the thread.

but that does beg the question any ww2 stealth games, i played airborne troops when i was younger, i still have the game on my shelf of ps2 games, the game is meh at best and frustrating at worst, after the second mission of the game i quit it after the turrent section showed up.

any suggestions for a fun ww2 stealth game.

The AI in Thief is absolute dogshit, so you shouldn't have much of an issue playing the game.

I thought the AI was pretty good compared to modern games. They actually seek you out and are capable of hunting you down.

What problems did you have with them?

If anything, the AI is stacked against you and catches you when it reasonably shouldn't have. I wouldn't take that guy too seriously, there are other highly-praised stealth games with much dumber AI.

eh, all ai in games are retarded in their own way.

It's boring as fuck though. Why is thief and tf2's spy class the only stealth games where you can go at a fast pace.

This is bait.

The only game I've seen that even comes remotely close to Thief's AI and is stealth is Far Cry 2, and even that's a gigantic stretch. That game still had the crippling problem of all the NPCs knowing the same information.

can any user help, i can't find a decent torrent for thief the dark project
, all there is are thief gold torrents, ever since kat went down it really fucked up my torrenting.

Bump

Why are first person stealth games fucking impossible to find. I think there are like 5 decent ones that aren't from the same series.

theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/thief-the-dark-project-usa/

Recently started a stealth game called Shadwen. It's interesting and I like the time mechanic, but I have to stop every half hour or so to avoid boredom.

Anyone else played it? I keep hoping it picks up

Wasn't there some game where you play as a French rebel or something? It was released not too long ago IIRC, and it was black and white, with only red accents. Contained a lot of parkour or something.

Saboteur?

The Sabotuer? You played as an irishman in that.

Death To Spies/Death To Spies Retribution

I heard of it but I haven't played it. What's it like?

thanks user i fell asleep, during the thread last night and i wasn't able to discuss stealth games and woke up at 5 pm i really need to fix my sleep schedule.

looks interesting hows the gameplay ?

It's kind of similar to Hitman but it's very puzzle oreinted, dress up as a chef to poison this grub, then steal this high ranking officer's stuff while they're too busy shitting their guts out, then sabotage the AA guns and radio in support.
It's also incredibly hard, most likely the hardest stealth series. The first is very rough, the second is more polished and in my opinion the better game. The third game, Alekhine's Gun is fucking trash and is a huge disappointment considering I was looking forward to it for like 6 years

pro stealth strats..

fug need to git gud at the basic mechanics of stealth games first, this game sounds like it could be fun though, i'll definitely put it on my backlog.

I said that because OP admitted he isn't very good at stealth games. Going quickly in Thief without knowing paths and the map would mean there's a good chance he'll alert enemies or miss things.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

finnally found something that could extract .ace files, but the file that came with it is telling me after i extract thief.ace i should be done and just click thief.exe but there is no thief.exe.

The fuck? Most missions on expert only add the whole don't kill anyone and the ever annoying "Get X amount of gold"

I fucking love Thief but it ain't no goldeneye.

Geez, user, I thought it would be simpler. Maybe try grabbing Tfix, that should come with a cracked .exe anyway.

Completely untrue. They also double the number of objectives. If you don't choose expert, half of the content in the level goes unused.

Nonlethal runs are a cornerstone of stealth.

God forbid a man who thieves to survive would need to thieve to survive

thanks user i'm just gonna use it on thief gold instead of the tdark project because i just wanna play this game.

Come on user. I repacked it and was going to upload it to my MEGA anyway, so if you can wait some 40 mins you can grab it from there.

gnu slash/loonix fag here.

inb4 linux has no geams

but i can wait for the upload.

Oh, sorry about that then. Using Wine and VMs doesn't count as linux having games, user.

If you haven't, go download Tfix from one of the official sources as it's going to be a lot faster. My 3rd world shithole internet won't finish uploading the game for another 20 minutes.

Double checked on normal. You are right, I'm wrong.

It's fucking annoying. I hate that shit.

I'm a-ok with non-lethal.

At least you're not in america.

Far worse, I'm in Brazil. At least we don't get data caps, but they're trying to bring us to 1st world standards so who knows for how long we'll be free of that.

Anyway, it's finally done, have fun.
mega.nz/#!Tx40CRjQ!PwXYhzfHfEkapTZMYw_RnzCzlnm_DhnnAfyI1ScaOqc

How do you plebs do anything?

i don't know about the other user but, i pray to kek, and call my isp and call them kikes on the weekends.

That's pretty much all we can do, sadly.

Eh, well, I'm a 100%ing autist in every game.

S…l…o…w…l…y…

we're there any good stealth based 8 bit games ?

could that even work ?

the only one i can think of is metal gear.

You can lean forward too if you do something like ctrl+w. Can be useful to arch a little closer to a guard.

I really like tomb robbing levels/levels with interesting platforming aspects.

People hated Down in the Bonehoard, but it's one of my favorite levels.

>took too much damage from fucking burricks even when they are piss easy as an afterthought

I never cared about stealth games but guessing I've sat half the day playing the game, it's been pretty good ride.

Take it easy, Thief specially should be about patience, if you feel like you had enough then stop, I can't remember in how many missions I've fucked myself over for getting desperate and do stupid shit. If missions have alarms is specially annoying, like assassins.

Also get ready, the second half of the game might be kind of a drag, there's good missions here and there but after the sword the game becomes Tomb Raider for a while. Keep it slow or you'll drop the game. trust me I did it once

Stealth Bastard 1 was quite good inb4 not 8-bit

I'd skip the sequel, though - ruined controls

Metal Gear 1 is trash, Metal Gear 2 was the great one

But it's not 8-bit

on the third level at the moment got to the tomb, and almost got anal raped by zombies.

but so far i'm having fun

OP, if you're trying to get into stealth games, consider starting with something a little more noob-friendly. Chaos Theory is fantastic, but looks better, and its levels aren't fucking huge like Thief's.

the only thing i don't like about this game is that you have to queue a key to use it, i've been caught so many times because i didn't have the key queued at the time of opening the door.

but i guess that just on me, i'm getting gud enough to make noise to distract guards and make them leave their position, it was actually very useful when rescuing cutty RIP ;_; being only 3 missions in i can't keep myself from playing, i couldn't even discuss the game in this thread last night because i was playing so much, why aren't games this addictive anymore ?

i'm actually getting pretty gud at user, i think this is becoming one of my favourite genres.

but i'll probably check out some of the stealth games mentioned in this thread after i finish playing thief, thanks for the suggestion.

Thief II: The Metal Age, Hitman: Blood Money and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory are usually treated as the holy trinity. It's perfectly reasonable to prefer The Dark Project to The Metal Age for a number of reasons. A year from now you'll be in the stealth general bemoaning how few good stealth games there are.

I've been playing Thief Gold on Linux just fine with WINE. I torrented the GOG version.

This. Although I personally think that Contracts is better than Blood Money.