Demon's souls

Something I've been meaning to ask Holla Forums why do some of you prefer Demon's souls to the other games?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/VFxfj
nichegamer.com/2016/07/08/demons-souls-remake-or-remaster-possible-but-only-under-a-different-developer/
archive.is/YRh2t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Plenty of reasons to prefer it to the later ones

Gameplay wise DeS was kinda wonky at times.

Sure, ignoring the fact that it's shit in almost every other aspect.

Either you haven't played DS1 and 2 or you're just a fucking idiot.

Because of "muh ps3 exclusivity".
It gives Sonyfags a feeling of superiority over PC master races.

Because of the Nexus.
Because of the Maiden in Black and her sweet accent.
Because of Boletarian Palace.
Because of Biorr of the Twin Fangs.
Because of the first time you meet the Tower Knight in your blind run.
Because of the Mind Flayers.
Because of Yurt, the Silent Chief and how you don't know he is going to kill NPCs if you let him live.
Because of Mephistopheles.
Because of St. Urbain.
Because of the Tower of Latria.
Because of the Mass of Prisoners.
Because of Ostrava.
Because of King Allant.
Because fuck Pure Bladestone.
Because you feel alone and vulnerable in a world that is trying to kill you in every way imaginable with cleverly-crafted stages and an atmosphere to match them.
Because of Boldwin and Ed.
Because you have a heart of gold, don't let them take it from you.
Umbasa.

Its the best castlevania.

Hard to say for me. Could be nostalgia for how it felt great to beat a game that actually gave a challenge after playing so many other games that felt way too easy to beat at the time. Could be how fun the combat was and how the weapons and magic worked (though I can't say much for archery due to how situational and slow it felt using a bow/crossbow in the game compared to later games). Could be how awesome the worlds were (I'll never forget that feeling of fear and dread I got from the first time I went into the tower of latria and seeing the bloodstain of someone dying to a mind flayer and not knowing what the fuck happened until running into one of them) and trying to find all the secrets in the worlds. I can't really pin it down, but I still find it my favorite out of the souls games even with it's glaring problems.

Better level design than Dark Souls, no bloated weapon pool, better bosses, cleaner art direction, you can stop me where your favorite game becomes superior.

Pure magic builds aren't viable in either DaS until late game.

It has the best levels and the best atmosphere by far imo.

Mp was lag city.

guys how do i beat the maneaters help

they've killed me so many times my world tendency went black

If you don't want your World Tendency to turn black, just don't use a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes. Stay in soul form.

Maybe because it's the first game in the series they've played? I don't really understand that though, I played Dark Souls first but my favorite is definitely Bloodborne since it's vastly superior to the rest in almost every way
etc.

They're weak to magic, if you have a magic weapon.

Eh, Bloodborne's my favorite too, but not by a huge margin, Demon's Souls is a close second, if not tied.

Nigger its clearly too late for him now since his WT in 3 is already black. He just has to get better.

I also like BB a little more but probably just because its a flowing world without the pstripples limitations. You can walk from iosefkas clinic to bergenwerth without a loading screen and thats a huge area to explore completely uninterrupted and still look so rich and detailed because its not a flat open world mess.

or do the arrow trick if its his first time and hes a scurred cherryboi.

Dark Souls had the best final boss.
The music sealed the deal completely for me.

i went knight so i'm fucked i guess

is there an easy way to reverse world tendency besides co-op or does it even matter in the long run as far as finishing the game goes

You can find a Crescent Falchion +1 in 4-1, it's not like you're prevented from wielding magic weapons because you chose the knight loadout.

With how much they were billing BB as the true successor to DeS, I was really, really hoping for a hub/stage selection set-up as soon as I saw the Hunter's Dream. I hope they return to something in that style some time in the future.

I played DaS first, but DeS is better. Although, I did enjoy DaS pvp more than DeS, mostly because of grass spam.

There's a number of reasons for me:

1-Fantastic music

2-Interesting new systems and different approach at the time

3-Elements from Severance and Die by the sword, games i grew up with

4-Absolutely fantastic community, when i think golden age of Holla Forums when you weren't all a bunch of wannabee neo nazi faggots with no sense of humor whatsoever, i think DeS and early MH era

5-Godly atmosphere

6-Nice color palette, white and blue instead of DaS dark and brown

A lot of things are simple preferences, but I felt disappointed with the tone of Dark Souls after coming in from Demon's Souls. The latter did such a stronger job with atmosphere and with building up its threats, while the former was too invested in seeming mysterious at the expense of giving anything any fair buildup. Demon's Souls didn't start as horror fantasy, it was more like a medieval setting that gradually lead into supernatural horror.

When I saw the trailer for Dark Souls, I assumed that all the things in it, from the taurus demon to the armoured boar, would have the same atmospheric buildup as Demon's Souls gave its horrors. Because of that, I felt terrified when I first saw it. When I actually played it, it felt like any other enemy, which it just plain shouldn't have. Dark Souls is littered with enemies that are larger than you; I have a hard time finding the boss fights that aren't defined by being larger, stronger and slower than you. In Demon's Souls', such things were special, and that's why the Tower Knight felt larger and more intimidating than any boss fight in Dark, despite not technically being bigger.

I loved DeS' ending, but I will gladly give DaS that. Gwyn was a fantastic ending, warts and all, and the kiln is my favourite part.

BB does the same thing for me, the tone makes the boss.

gwynns theme is sad and captures what a bittersweet husk his fight is and in a different way moon presence uses its music to equal effect.

if demons has one weak point it has the worst music. not by much, its still good, but ds1, ds2, and bb all had better music.

-But of course there is DS3 but the less said about that dogshit cash in the better.

Also forgot to mention that i consider BB on the same level as DeS.
Strictly speaking in terms of pure gameplay i consider BB the best souls game ever made, period.

My tier list is

DeS = BB (changes depending on various elements)
DaS1
DaS3
-
-
-
-
-
-
literal liquid shit
-
-
-
DaS2

The only offline way of turning towards white world tendency is doing NPC quests and killing bosses.

regain and quickstep was the perfect chocolate and peanut butter fusion of demons souls and devil may cry.

BB was fucking amazing with how well it flows

THE LEGEND NEVER DIES
Fortunately I hopped on the DaS bandwagon really really late and got to enjoy it mostly untarnished

?

Best
Not hard to understand why. Dark Souls is pretty good but Demon Souls is better in most aspects. BloodBorne has the best gameplay of the series, that's why it gets praised a lot too.

I started playing last year, and by then all of the meme spouting tards and e-celebs trying to grab quick views off their overreactions were gone. I didn't look up any guides and any threads that I went into asking for advice were more interested in DaS 3 and were patient and helpful, even on here, even when I was being a whiny bitch that should have been told 'git gud'.

Then once I had finished one run I started looking up the guides and the videos and got to enjoy the fun of reset day.
Or the not-fun of it as I was invaded three times at Undead Parish and lost all my humanity, then summoned someone to help me kill the gargoyles (a boss I had never had help on because I didn't understand summoning until S&O), which they did with no help from me thanks to balanced lightning magic. I'm not actually salty, it was fun.

The memes only started like 2 years after the games release bro.

Wish we had ps4 version

For Dark Souls? They were in full force by the time of the PC release, that was barely a year after the initial release.

The games been out for five years

The steam fags made the cancerous artificial difficulty meme.

Pure magic was pretty viable early in Dark 1 unless you mean literally not even equipping a melee weapon, none of the early bosses are hard at all with just soul arrows and everything in between is susceptible enough to a basic knife or shortsword. If anything magic gets less viable over time in 1 with Dukes Archive being full of shit resistant to it, Tomb of the Giants having a bad lock on range and stuff in the expansion all being pretty tanky and resistant.

What else would "pure magic" mean? Using a magic-infused melee weapon is still melee combat.

It could mean just only leveling and upgrading sorcery related things, otherwise a demon's souls pure magic run means standing around for like half an hour regenerating mana between fights.

Or just fueling your mana on spice, which isn't any different than fueling your health on grass.

Not a great boss by any stretch but the earliest point where the atmosphere totally sold me.

This just reminded me a thread that happened some time ago about DeS, it was surprising how everything went clean until the thread and there was almost no meme spouting compared to the DaS threads. Glad that somebody archived the thread.

archive.is/VFxfj

fixed.

Ha I even know which posts were mine

I prefer this one. It's like this theme was made for a jolly fat man. The Adjudicator is a very silly boss, with that bird on his head. Why the fuck is that, anyway?

DeS multiplayer, aside from PvE, is the worst in the entire series.

How?

It is the worst PvP experience of the four games.

I personally prefer DaS1 over DeS but if you're the kind of person that plays these games only once or twice each DeS is generally better

But on the other hand DaS1 has significantly more interesting builds due to a lot more weapon/armor variety, poise is a good mechanic, interconnected world is cool, and the PTDE bosses are some of the best in the series with Artorias as the undisputed #1 boss out of any in these games I also think he is the best fight out of any game.

DaS1 was a complex vertical cup of spaghetti, open world meme games are a flat map punctuated by various points of interest that serves no purpose other than to pad out the amount of time/content the game has.

Ah

people like you are EXACTLY what ruined the series

He never said that multiplayer was the most important part or anything, he only claimed that its pvp is the worst which is true whether it's your favorite game or your least.

I think we can make a far comparison of both Dark Souls and Demon Souls, contrasting what which one excels, I'll just pretend DaS2 doesn't exists.

Demon Souls:

P.S.: It's essential to note that this game is the seed of the series, animations, weapon movesets, level themes and even character archetypes are rehashed in future games (mainly DeS3), this deserves some recognition on its own.

Dark Souls:

Dark Souls 3:

Overall, Demon Souls wins.

I like both Demon's and Dark, but I vastly prefer Demon's simply because in my opinion the level design didn't go to shit in the last areas.
Seriously, fuck every area after O&S.

Demon's souls also didn't have a huge number of blocked paths and barriers like DaS did

How open is DeS? I found that DaS was fairly open at the start, then closes up at O&S, then opens up again after that point.

I don't get this complaint. The Duke's Archives are fine, the Crystal Cave is a little ugly on your first go, the Tomb of Giants sucks but is pretty easy to get through with a sufficient weapon, Lost Izalith isn't really that bad and Ruins of New Londo are just a casual stroll. None of them suck as much as Blighttown. Why do people hate this part of the game so much?

It's more that the game feels like it peaks at the O/S fight and then starts ramping down before it hits the high point that is the last area. I'd say that DaS and DeS are equal.

While both games are great, and hosts to several problems, I prefer Demon's in practically every way. Like most anons are mentioning, the atmosphere was tight, the bosses were good, and I liked the faster combat. Dark Souls had some impressive areas, but it all falls apart with Izalith. Although the DLC kind of makes up for it. I think Demon's has it beat by a significant margin, but Bloodborne is still my overall favorite.

Alright I'll give you that. Feels more like a downhill slide from S&O.

demons souls blindsided the fuck out of me, never having played kings field or stuff and generally having a hard time with lots of fantasy settings due to high-fantasy stuff being so popular. actual punishment for death which was on its way out during the time of its release blew my mind it had been so long since i saw something like that

also even if you dig into lore for days and analyze every fucking thing, at its heart its still just a game, a simple game where you just get to the end of a level and fight a boss, and its entirely possible to beat the game with no armor and bare hands if you're patient enough.

then you add the one gimmick of multiplayer, which the game is still 100% playable without, you get an overall "pure' piece of gaming

Mechanically, and also based the level of fun, Dark Souls and it's spawns (yes, even DS2 in a lot of respects) are better.

But I think that Demon's Souls is Miyazaki's definitive artistic statement. All the themes, conventions, and even contradictions in the later games are all drawn from the artistic tapestry of Demon's.
So if you wanna sound like a faggot, you can say that Dark Souls is a better game, but Demon's Souls is more "important".

Fucked up the formatting hardcore, but you get the idea.

Not that user, but I'll weigh in on this. It depends on what you mean by open. Like Dark Souls, you are given the freedom to go wherever you like from the start, but they are very different areas that are only connected by the Nexus, and it would benefit you to gather items from one place to use elsewhere if you're in trouble. If you mean the levels themselves, then I would say they are also fairly open. Again, they are all different and require different methods of getting through them. Boletaria has open areas and numerous enemies like the soldiers, knights, assassins, and archers that demands patience and caution when engaging. Whereas Latria is a claustrophobic labyrinth with sparse enemies that forces the player to stumble around in the dark. Stuff like that. Dark Souls is more open, but Demon's is more consistent in the overall structure of the areas. It never felt like one just blends into the next or that there was a serious decline in quality.

Guess I'll dump some stuff.

(checked)

Usually I'm cheesed about off-topic shit, but I'm always down for lewds.

Both versions of the classic Maneater get their own dedicated post.

I still don't know whether it was a giant or not. I can't remember, but I don't think it was like the ones in 5-2.

It's a giant, and yeah same ones from 5-2. 5-2 just has more of them, in an open space.

okay i've played demon souls a million times, even got platinum in it, i've seen that middle picture a million times, but i still have no clue what those skeletons are supposed to be from DeS

Skeletons from 4-1/4-2 if anything. The shape was meant to match the photo more than the game skeletons. Or maybe it had nothing to do with the game and was only generic skeletons, but it was always posted in DeS threads so we just rolled with it.

Demon’s Souls is a game that will make you into a man. A scrawny fourteen-year-old, after two hours with this game, will be grooming his muttonchops and ready to ship off on the next boat to fight the Kaiser. If you are already a man, it will make you into some sort of bizarre double-man. What’s that you say? You’re a woman? You don’t want to be a man? Too bad. Too bad. That’s the Demon’s Souls way.

You’ve probably heard that Demon’s Souls is hard. Pshh. Lots of games are hard. Some are even harder than this one. The difficulty is not the point. What sets Demon's Souls apart is the way that it doesn't just kill you, but also stomps on your genitals when you’re down. And it will make you realize that that’s what you needed all along.

It’s a lot like life. Sometimes in life you win, and sometimes the giant armored skeleton stabs your face off because the flying mantis monster you didn’t even see shot you in the back with a spike at just the wrong time. And when that happens in life, do you respawn at the same spot and carry on like nothing happened? NO, asshole. You go back to the beginning of the level, leaving all your hard-earned souls out there on the pavement, and you fight your way back. And you learn a lesson from the whole thing, because you should have been wearing your Thief’s Ring, now shouldn’t you? That’s life.

The trend in hard games these days is to unlock “Easy” mode for you once you’ve died enough times. Do you think Demon’s Souls does that? Do you think Demon’s Souls is so much as aware of the concept of “Easy” mode? NO IT IS NOT. If Demon’s Souls even knew we were talking about “Easy” mode, it would come over here and kick the shit out of all of us. And we would deserve it.

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.

Have I told you about the online elements? At any time when you’re in Body form, another player from anywhere else in the world can invade your game and murder you to regain his own body, or just to keep you on your toes. This happens when you’re in the middle of fighting armies of unthinkable monsters that are probably already three-quarters of the way towards killing you. And no, you cannot opt out of this feature! This is what you signed up for when you agreed to be a man.

When this happened to me – when a guy strolled into my game like it was Taco Bell and exploded my torso, costing me my body and all my progress in the level – was I mad? No, because I was too busy being in awe at how fucking hardcore the experience was.

Now, don’t let this dissuade you. Demon’s Souls is a pitiless master, but let it never be said that it is not fair. The game rewards handsomely those who stand up to it, and the greater the challenge, the greater the glory.

This is pasta isn't it? Cause it seems really familiar, but if I have seen it then it hasn't been since at least 2010.

It's an old reddit post but it sold me on the game when it came out.

The bosses in World 4 are all legends/gods that came to life via the power of the soul arts. They were willed into existence.

In DeS it felt like you were truly fighting gods of legend.

They've been workshopping the idea of a different team rebuilding it on PS4 in the BB engine with the 6th stone area in place.

Which could be good could be bad depending on the team.

But god knows if they showed up at E3 with a bloodborne looking boletaria and "soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel…" VO the oldschool soulsfags would flip.

I liked the music more. Demon's Souls had very mellow, understated music tracks that complimented the desolate, dark, and gloomy atmosphere of the game. Lots of slightly off-tune drawn out melodies that either put you on edge and often times were unsettlingly calm compared to the chaotic boss fight you're in the middle of.

Meanwhile literally every single fucking track in the Dark Souls franchise is

Source? I'm not sure I like the sound of Demon's mixed with BB.

Miyazaki did an interview last week about it.

Source.

When you think about it DeS was a genuinely different game from dark souls not only in terms of music and atmosphere but in structure of gameplay and level design the two series are related yet not in a brother way but akin to cousins,where BB is so different yet is the closest to DeS in terms of gameplay structure and level design.

DeS is my favourite. Platinun Trophy'd it 3 times on chinese, US an EUR version. I imported it from china as soon as it was available.

Played up until DaS2 which made me lose all interest in Souls games so I didn't bother with Bloodborne or DaS3.

You really should play them, they are both much better games than DS2

Don't give a shit. They sold out. Also online subscription service for Bloodborne online. How about nah.

I've got tons of other games to play. People calling things "Souls-like" has completely put me off ever touching that shit again anyway.

I'd rather just replay Blade of Darkness. At least its combat isn't fueled by memes of its own existence.

Hipsters being hipsters

Demon's Souls is pretty good but it is a bit clunky at times and suffers from some less fleshed out mechanics that were implemented/fixed in Dark Souls.
I also like Dark Soul's metroidvania like level design a bit more than Demon's Soul's level design, however I prefer it's visuals over the ones from Dark Souls. Just traversing through Boletaria feels pretty gud.

Demon's Souls has far and away the best level design and atmosphere in the series and I think only Bloodborne comes close to it in those areas. That's the main reason for which I replay it so often. Dark Souls pre-Lordvessel is great in both of these areas, but after that point it just feels blatantly unfinished. That's a problem I had with Dark Souls 2 as well, and another part of why I prefer Demon's and Bloodborne to the rest of the series. They're the only two that feel complete, even knowing that Demon's had an entire world and a whole slew of enemies and NPCs cut from it.

Another thing I love about it is that every boss is unique in some way or has something that sets it apart from every other boss in the game. This ranges from simple stuff like how you have to kill one of the Fool's Idol's worshippers before you can actually kill her, the Old Hero being blind and encouraging you to walk rather than run to make less sound, or more complex stuff like the Monk being another player. It has great boss variety in spite of there being few bosses relative to other games in the series.

Some people don't, but I actually quite liked the world/character tendency mechanics and felt that it lent the game more replay value. I also liked little things like how you were able to grade another player's helpfulness after you finish a co-op session with them and I wish that they included that mechanic in future games. As well as that, I much prefer the hub world set up to Dark Souls' psuedo-open world and I like the cast of characters better.

My favourite's definitely between Demon's and Bloodborne, but I'm not sure which one I prefer.

I really liked the music and how tragic the world felt. It was also a lot of our first souls games so naturally nostalgia will always influence (at least for me!) our choice. But at the same time I haven't replayed demons souls but I've finished dark souls 3 or 4 times.

So I guess what I'm saying is that dark souls is better but demons souls will still hold a very special place in my heart and dark souls is missing some of what demons souls had.

BB is a genuinely good game

I really liked the music and how tragic the world felt. It was also a lot of our first souls games so naturally nostalgia will always influence (at least for me!) our choice. But at the same time I haven't replayed demons souls but I've finished dark souls 3 or 4 times.

So I guess what I'm saying is that dark souls is better but demons souls will still hold a very special place in my heart and dark souls is missing some of what demons souls had.

Nigga I played through Demon's Souls like 10 times before I managed to get the Platinum trophy.

Because it was designed with the intention of making a good game whereas every game after it was designed with the intention of making a hard game because "gotta keep up the 'git gud' reputation we developed! lel 'prepare to die again and again and again!'" and its effects show.

Demons' Souls' difficulty flowed naturally from its design. It was a well designed game that as a consequence happened to be hard. All of the sequels were made to be hard first and foremost, and any quality was a coincidence. Designing the game to be "hard" above all else leads to a lot of bullshit that isn't as fun.

'Why do you like demon's souls more?' is practically a meme at this point. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the dark souls/demons souls changing demographic was specifically targeted by dedicated shitposters in order to get the ball rolling and incite a lot of shitty threads.
There are a lot of points that cover why demon's souls stands out as a better game, yet the points in support of dark souls boil down to either sarcastically mocking (see: greentext) the arguments made in favour of demon's souls, or discussing accurately how the game has improved mechanically and makes for a more fair and balanced pvp experience. Which really brings about the crux of the issue, that socialising and victory in petty competition is more important to current fans of the series than enjoying a video game.

why?

why?

looks like we've got another casual here who can't handle Blighttown which easily has the best atmosphere in the series. Nowhere else makes you feel quite as stuck, alone, and completely doomed becauase in all the other areas like VoD from DeS you can just die and teleport to somewhere else, but you can't warp out of Blighttown and the way backwards is a huge pain in the ass. so you've gotta just keep trudging forwards which is great.

This was only the case in Dark Souls 2. Miya said in a lot of interviews for 1 that it was not made to be hard, just as he said for DeS. And the only parts of DaS1 that are unfairly hard are the silver knight archers which I don't think is even as close to unfair as the 3 NPCs after the penetrator.

The point isn't that the areas in the second half are hard, it's that they are lazily designed with boring enemies and boring geometry. The enemies in Lost Izalith are hilairously awful and its layout is super boring. TotG is way smaller than it should be. The ghosts and darkwraiths of NLR get old fast. And the Archives is actually pretty alright.

If you don't believe that Demon's Souls is the better game in the series, I would seriously think about evaluating your taste in games.

The only people who would disagree, are the salty mustards, and retarded late age millennials.

Fuck you

Talk about a low energy reply

Has anyone come up with a good way to emulate Demon's Souls on the PC? My PS3 stopped working and I haven't been able to play PS2/PS3 games for years. And new consoles are neither worth the price, or properly backwards compatible.

Not gonna lie. Its a lot to do with Sony exclusivity. Same with Bloodborne. Typically any argument against either of those games get put aside with flimsy meaningless excuses and/or anger. Dark Souls is pretty much the magnum opus and even that game has a lot of flaws.

b-but muh community
muh atmosphere
the game just FELT better, you don't get it
ugh, jealous mustard

I like it because it felt like an arcade game to me. I don't like games that require a community, context, or prolonged exposure to enjoy. I can pick it up and play it, and put it down whenever I want. It will always be enjoyable

I really like DeS because no other game in the franchise lets you fight the mugger from Batman.

I could say the same about you, user. I messed up my post is all, but it's really hard to take the whole "Blighttown is the best area in the series" seriously. Especially when it's a level where you can completely skip 85% of it, has the lamest, uninspired enemies (minus the blowdart guys), and it has to compete with the areas found in Demon's or Bloodborne.

What area found in Bloodborne does Blighttown have to compete with exactly? Surely you don't mean that single forest area.

ebin

:^)

Well thanks for proving the point provided in

Well, I mean how can I possibly defend the single forest area that the entire game is set in? How is it not obvious? If he is serious, then Cainhurst, Yharnam, and the Healing Church are the first to come to mind.

Ha no

Dumbass argument used to dismiss people who like DeS and BB, because you just can't possibly prefer those, you must just be a brand-loyal zombie.

Time to go back to school pretty soon

You would need a functional PS3 emulator, so no.

I think he means an area directly comparable and similar to Blighttown, e.g. Valley of Defilement. Bloodborne's only real poisonous swamp area is the upper part of the Forbidden Woods.

Buy a bow and as many arrows as you can. Shoot the one maneater that spawned through the fog wall before you go in. Takes time but it's the easiest way to do it.

Asking why people prefer DeS over dark is a meme?

DeS PvP is the worst in the entire series, and if you're too vague and retarded to recognize it, then I truly am sorry for you.

For the record, I also never said I took PvP seriously. You only implied that, like the retarded dipshit you are.

do you have fucking brain damage user holy shit

There is nothing else that needs to be said. Blightown having the best atmosphere. Yes I to love the massive fps drops, horrible lighting(though that is mostly due to your glowy crystal), and lest we forget (TOXIC). So I will chime in…
FUCK YOU

Blight town was lag town.

the environments in demon's souls were the most interesting for pvp
3-2, 5-2, 5-1, 4-2 for example. Each environment requires a different strategy.

Please stop making Souls threads
If this keeps up I'll buy a Playstation for two fucking games

I've only seen this happen in response to criticism of Dark Souls 2, actually. I don't think anyone whose favourite is Demon's or Bloodborne will tell you that they aren't quite flawed.

Chalking up preferences to being nothing more than "muh exclusives" seems a bit disingenuous to me when this thread alone is chock full of reasons why people prefer Demon's Souls over other games in the series.

BECAUSE I'M A CONTRARIAN FAGGOT AND I LIKED THAT GAME BEFORE THE SERIES GOT POPULAR, SO IT'S THE ONLY GOOD ONE. OLDER THINGS ARE AUTOMATICALLY BETTER

What's the second one?

Bloodbourne and Demon's.

He's probably talking about this
nichegamer.com/2016/07/08/demons-souls-remake-or-remaster-possible-but-only-under-a-different-developer/
archive.is/YRh2t

the magic of playing it for the first time.

so if you played dank souls first, probably nothing.

also if you played demon's souls first then you got to play it before all the the "le git gud" "u will die XD" shit

… user, you'd need to buy two playstations to play both of those.

I thought it was the Xbox that wasn't backwards compatible. Oh, well. I won't resort to sour grapes.

If the PS4 was backwards compatible with PS3 games I wouldn't even remotely have questioned buying one.

I seriously hope this doesn't happen.

… user, you realize that the two games were released six years apart from each other in two different console generations.

I don't know what you're even trying to communicate to me right now.

Everything intended in Demon's Souls is excellent, many of the things intended in dark soul is outright bad, but it's still a great game despite the flaws. I have trouble thinking of redeeming qualities of dark souls 2, and dark souls 3 was pretty lackluster.

Bloodborne was a much needed return to greatness for Fromsoft, and it shows as being their best game. It's fascinating observing the differences between publisher treatment of developers. If you've yet to play Bloodborne, and get hung up over it being on a platform you don't own, you are absolutely missing out. I suggest you drop the fanaticism and accept your dedication isn't worth it, and play a good game for once.

why am i crying?

It shocks me how just how good BB is.

why?

looks like we've got another casual here who can't handle Blighttown which easily has the best atmosphere in the series. Nowhere else makes you feel quite as stuck, alone, and completely doomed becauase in all the other areas like VoD from DeS you can just die and teleport to somewhere else, but you can't warp out of Blighttown and the way backwards is a huge pain in the ass. so you've gotta just keep trudging forwards which is great.

This was only the case in Dark Souls 2. Miya said in a lot of interviews for 1 that it was not made to be hard, just as he said for DeS. And the only parts of DaS1 that are unfairly hard are the silver knight archers which I don't think is even as close to unfair as the 3 NPCs after the penetrator.

The point isn't that the areas in the second half are hard, it's that they are lazily designed with boring enemies and boring geometry. The enemies in Lost Izalith are hilairously awful and its layout is super boring. TotG is way smaller than it should be. The ghosts and darkwraiths of NLR get old fast. And the Archives is actually pretty alright.

The argument that Blighttown is harsh because of the lack of warping is only true of the first playthrough. If you felt "trapped" in Blighttown on a second or third playthrough, you were doing something wrong.

For sure, and this is true for the whole game in general. In repeat playthroughs you realize that areas aren't nearly as big and scary as they once seemed and the game actually becomes surprisingly comfy. Blighttown is my favorite first playthrough area in the series while something like Painted World is more fun on repeat playthroughs because there are a lot of ways to go about it and you'll probably continue to discover hidden stuff across quite a few playthroughs.

And probably one of the reasons that Dark Souls was my favorite the first time I played it, but my opinion has only gotten worse over time. On the other hand, I only respect DeS more the more times I play it.

Don't engage

i do what i want…. but ok

seriously, bloodborn was a massive step back in level design from DeS.
Also monster design because they only had 4 aside from bosses for the entire damn game it feels like.
Massive lack in armor design. Weapons pretty much devolved into "flat useless" and "BIS for your build" which of course the builds were STR and SKL with the rest being god awful.

thats just off the top of my head.

Don't
engage

Good thing most of those weren't used more than once, and the generic dudes+dogs were used a majority of the time throughout the game.
Not to mention it had the worst pvp if you care about that

Bloodborn defense force in spades "if we ignore him all complaints go away". God that's pathetic.

What exactly made Flamelurker so hard for people? I didnt play the game until a year or two ago, and he wasn't that hard for me. Was he patched to be easier or something?

is a diff ID

generic dogs and dudes are in the first area, and thats pretty much it. they are in the forest area for a little bit before being replaced by snake pits. once you kill the onld invisible witch you are pretty much done with villiagers IIRC

They get used a lot in the forest up until after the windmill, and a ton in Unseen Yhargul.

Probably the lack of a shortcut to the boss roomt, or I guess some people didn't figure out to use shields with high fire resistance.

Demons Souls was the freshest in a sense the hub world made sense kinda played a trick that the world is larger and bigger, so it felt epic. the loading was shit, but when you came into the level it was non linear. Nothing was spilled out in the game only a tutorial level where you die.

Also being in a soul form was kinda a big fuuu. The progression made more sense no leveling before beating the first boss. The bosses are memorable.

Its too long since I've played Demon's Souls but remember the first time ragequtting because of that one npc which can make your world darker, killing off the storage guy.

>unique lore
It's shit.

You know, that's what I felt too. The item descriptions gave you this sense of awe for the shit you were collecting.

> There was once a strong man who slaughtered dragons with his bare hands. His God-like fists earned him the title of the "Legendary Big M."

If you read that item description and paid attention to Vallarfax' story, you'd probably think, "man, those niggas were hardcore niggas and they died - what chances do I hav- OH, FUCK!"
Also, I don't remember ever playing a game and actually dreading turning a corner out of fear of the monstrosity I would eventually have to fight.

>died to ostrava once
>didn't die once to the fake king

Kinda felt disappointed with the whole thing honestly; didn't use any guides so some areas gave me trouble fuck Latria, but overall it was a pretty simple game. Most bosses were pretty cool, tendency didn't really come into play for me, NPCs were actually cool since they were doing their own things, levels varied in terms of being interesting and slogs the mines were pretty meh, weapons and armors seemed like sidethoughts honestly: I just upgraded my falchion to +9 and stuck with the black leather set for the whole game. Worth a playthrough if you can get it for cheap.

You can, you just need to get amnesia

it's only not viable if you're a dumbass and walk into damage.

Ps4 version when?

Stonefang a complete shit other than Flamelurker.

Disagree, I've done both a "sorcery only" and a "pyromancy only" build in DaS and both of them are totally viable early game as well if you know what you're doing. Though it is recommended to have a weapon so you don't have to be so stingy with your spells and run past enemies.

Because of the limited number of spell uses, you either have to know the level in advance to ration out your soul arrows, or avoid certain enemy encounters. If you want to include running past enemies as a strategy you may as well say Bloodborne has an arcane build viable from the start too.

Then, again, that's not "sorcery only".

You claimed it wasn't viable, and even though it's nice to not exclusively use sorcery you absolutely can if you so choose without significant issues. And you are required to kill several bosses before having access to magic in Bloodborne, which is not the case in DaS, so even though you might want to run past enemies in DaS there is a clear difference. I also run past many enemies by default upon repeat playthroughs whether I'm using magic or not since fighting them is a waste of time.

I support these quads.