Games that ruined their respective developers

Games that ruined their respective developers.

tbh i think it was the best of the series

ya got shit taste fam, even the first game was better than that turd

but why

Saints Row 3 was the best game in the series you work accident of a nigger-cock addicted whore.

Here's your (You)

Saints row 2 was a good game and the juxtaposition of the "realistic" world and the wacky antics made it funnier.

Saints row 3 turned up the wacky antics to 11, and as a result wasn't very funny at all.

dont forget they killed Johnny offscreen and brought him back in 4 because fan backlash but it just wasnt the same at all mainly because you the Boss are a fucking pussy

It was actually funny, part 4 is where it went far too over the top and became lame. 3 has the best gameplay, mechanics, music and Laura Bailey's voice.

Then what they did to shaundi as well, literally made a new character and then had marketing tell them to make it shaundi.

Yeah.
I admit i didnt really like the degenerate crackhead whore-Shaundi of 2 BUT i sure as hell didnt like the bitchy cunt of 3&4 at all.
though character wise i still hate boss the most

Kill yourself

It just fails in content, writing, world design and compared to Saints Row 2. It fails pathetically, it doesn't come within a county mile. So they covered it up with fucking memes

that sent the company to success though. asscreed 3 was the start of ruin

Heard you talking shit like I wouldn't find out

Soniggers are retarded

TLOU damaged naughty dog more than uncharted did

I guess thats true.

Valve was ruined as a game developer when they put out Half Life and doomed the genre to narrow corridors and cinematic experiences

All the Ass Creed games were awful. The fact that it was so successful that the company started just milking the series instead of trying to fix the problems with it was what lead the company to ruin.

I fell to see how. If Valve just continued doing what they did when they made Portal we would have a much more interesting games company at the moment.

As it stands right the blame should be placed on TF2, Dota 2 and CS:Go since those games were what prompted Valve to stop making vidya and just whore out on selling cosmetics.

Also arguably Left 4 Dead 2 also deserves a mention. Since the community backlash against the attempted Left 4 Dead boycott sent a message to Valve that they were willing to be Valve's bitch.

It didnt exactly ruin them as much as it marked their peak and imminent downfall.

The Alien stuff started in 2.

Asscreed 1 was enjoyable for what it was.

2, however, locked out stages for DLC on the outset and all the secrets pointed out how anyone who was a famous person was an ebil person who mind controlled everyone into thinking they were nice.

The first one was actually pretty shit.

Also I think we can all agree that Brotherhood was the objectively best Ass Creed

The setting is the best in the series, the character design is the closest it comes to logical, and the story is the closest it comes to actually being good. Asscreed 2 is the closest the game comes to having actual stealth gameplay, and the assassination side-missions really show it off. And AC2 was already pretty bad with the writing and the casualization and the ubisoftification, so everything after that is hardly even worth talking about.

You know, a bunch of these games ruined the company because it was a success not because it was a failure. AssCreed? "One game a year, shove that shit out I don't care how completely bored everyone is with it" - Ubisoft

I F everyday

Not everyone's definition of "ruined" is monetary in nature Tel Aviv Steve.

;_;7

You are posting the wrong game there, user, that game made Bungie and Microsoft money. This is what will kill them.

That's because it was the best of the series, and is still the only game that's playable today and doesn't feel like shit.

Why was this such a piece of shit.

by making them succesful and winning lots of shekels?

You can't really ruin shit, you just kind of make it shittier.

tired of posting on neogaf friendo?

What it could have been if focus groups weren't idiots. Don't know if the gameplay would have been any better but at least it'd have a unique style

Crash 1 2 and 3 were pretty good. Everything else they made was mediocre at best.

so the story would be different? big deal user.

Not really, enjoyable sure, there are people here who enjoyed Sonic Adventure.

They got kids as the focus group, remember?

bait of the century fam

actual order of saints row in terms of quality: 2 > 1 > 3 > 4

I know you're obviously trolling but I'm still mad. Good job

So you never played Crash or Jak. You're missing out. Crash is an early 3D platformer that had little if anything to copy off of. Jak II and 3 do copy a shitton by a whole bunch of different games, and the result is a mix you don't see in other games. Jak X is a good mix of kart racing and car combat, which isn't too common. CTR is the one that's not really unique in many ways, but it's still the best of its genre.

Uncharted and later are boring though.

So you're the fag who ruined shooters.

Fuck off gook.

I still liked it

There's a line that needs to be drawn. When you have a radial menu, which works stickily and clunky by the way, with shitloads of weapons trying to find the one you want, it gets tedious. In old games you have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 0 to pick your weapons. Some games have an inventory system where you pick out your weapon. GTA wouldn't work with a backpack inventory system because its a fast on-the-fly game. If you think not wanting clutter means I want few options you're retarded, because your fists, melee, handgun, shotgun, SMG, assault rifle, sniper rifle, adn projectile are quite enough to be varied and tasty. One more thing, did you even play GTA V.

I don't like being limited to two guns, but I have never liked the old "one number key per gun" thing either. It's no good for quickly going straight to the gun I want in the middle of a battle.

I wish, and have wished ever since I first played Doom way back in the day, that such games would let you pause when switching guns. At least as an optional way of switching alongside the standard way. Even if that wouldn't work in multiplayer, whatever, just make it an option in single player. That's all that matters to me anyway. This has been a gaming wish of mine for basically my entire gaming life.

Most recently I just finally played Bioshock 2 and man did I wish it let you pause to switch guns and plasmids. It was impossible to have a full set of keys for all the gun AND plasmid slots that didn't require moving your hand off WASD.

That would slow the action down like changing camo in MGS 3.
Be quick or use the mouse wheel. If you mouse wheel is shit tough through it or get a new mouse, I have a 5+-year old wireless Logitech.

Radial menu with pause works very well and doesn't slow down the action significantly. The system that's in the Ratchet games and other Insomniac games is what I'm talking about. At least for consoles, number keys make more sense for m+k. But it's clunky without pause and there's so many shooters that focus on multiplayer so it's not popular.

The title/series that launched Levine into pure mediocrity/shit.

Crash was a flat attempt at taking Donkey Kong Country and making it 3d, of course because others hadn't yet paved the way for 3d platformers Crash fell completely flat in every thing that mattered, crash moves like a bitch, he jumps like a bitch, his power ups are a little bitch that follows you and the level design is absolute trash.

Jak and Daxter is a flat copy of Banjo Kazooie, but not as good, bigger focus on semi serious storyline, most of the characters are unlikeable, all the levels are shit and forgettable, the world being a large interconnected space with some areas visible from others is completely visual and doesn't mean a single in terms of gameplay, Tooie did this significantly better with puzzles that crossed between worlds and interconnected worlds that fed into eachother, there is no excuse for Jak and Daxter to have been so shit considering Banjo Tooie came out a year beforehand which was plenty of time for them to steal, I mean design better gameplay for their game.

CTR existed after the fact and was blatantly copied off yet another Rare game this time Diddy Kong Racing, to the extent there was a test level that is a level from Diddy Kong Racing ported to CTR, Apart from the inclusion an overworld and Story mode CTR has been absolutely surpassed and to say otherwise is admitting your nostalgia goggles are surgically implanted on your face.

These games don't hold up, you can enjoy them, there are people who enjoy a lot of really shitty games, but they aren't in anyway significant, and you can't lift any good game design practices from any of them, unless you are a marketer.

DS2 was better than 3, but the developers of 2 were the first to fuck up yes, then miyazaki just took their car crash and turned it into a train wreck.

I need you to explain this bait.

My only guess is that Levine was supported and anchored by the talents of Looking Glass during the development of System Shock 2.

He's saying DS2 doesn't count because it's the B team

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

There's "magic" artifacts and you complain that the aliens ruin taking the historical setting seriously?

Ok. So when you compare 3 to 2 it's obvious 2 has flaws, like the story being so openended at the beginning, too many armored dudes, even though that was the theme of the kingdom falling, the broken covenants, and the vastly changing locations and the warp mechanics. But DS3 fucked up so so so much harder.

So lets start with Covenants.

Covenants were ruined in 2 when 2 decided to make one covenant almost entirely reliant on another covenant (way of blue and blue sentinels). Then they made it too difficult to farm the tokens necessary to invade the worlds of the guilty, which could have helped the pvp warfare between blues and reds. But at least 3 had the arena for Darkwraiths and the belltower which had a lively pvp community. On top of that you could almost always find pvp in the world as a darkwraith. So pvp still thrived, albeit not as awesomly as DS1. 3 fucked that up even more than 2.

In DS3 you have two covenants that are pvp zone centric. And both become obsolete within a few lvls (the wolf covenant and abyss deep ones guys). On top of that DS3 also has covenants relying on protecting another covenant, but it gets worse, because 2 covenants rely on this one covenant. (way of blue, blue wtv the fuck theyre called and the darkmoon). Now you might say you can switch out covenants! But I think this ruined it as its too easy, quick and noncommital to leave a covenant, ruining its investment and immersion as well as having people constantly switching to be darkwraiths and moundmakers instead of pvp zone types as well as defenders, who theres no point to be honestly, the pvp defenders are even more dead than 2s pvp defenders. Theres also no pvp arena which ruined the ease of getting into quick pvp for fun and the lack of a real sin system prevents the blues from preying on the reds effectively, instead always needing a middle man instead of invading the invaders.

PVP

DS3 ruined pvp entirely with its reduced HP for invaders, fast healing estus flasks, poise system ruining weapon variety and viability, massive lag, no viable pvp zones, arenas or vengeance mechanic through indictments and sinning. You can barely get into matches in the pvp zones, only during specific lvls, like 30-40 for the wolf guys and like 90-110 for the other compared to bell tower always being good and everything I mentioned earlier with the pvp arena, and other shit. Comparing DS1 & 2s pvp to 3 is just depressing as 3 has nothing on it.

POISE

Poise was horribly ruined in DS3, either because they couldnt get it working, or because miyazaki wanted faster paced bloodborne styled combat. But DS3 is a largely defensive game, its about timing techniques and stamina, as well as spells, defenses and dodges to defeat opponents, rather than BB's faster paced in your face, damage=healing combat. The mechanics didnt mesh as well with the souls series as they did with BB. Everything was too fast for the weapons and armor, the attacks too smooth for european styled fighting.

The biggest issues was there was no true benefit to armor. You normally wore armor for poise resistance and to use something big and slow to hurt the fucker. But without poise you couldnt do that, so it made heavier weapons like greatswords, ultra greatswords,and other slow weapons unviable against stronger enemies or in pvp. On top of that, to compensate for lack of poise like traditional DS2 & 1, they had to add in hyper armor to compensate, which makes enemies unflinchable after a few connected hits. This ruined much faster weapons, like whips, claws, caestus, dual daggers and shit as you'd hit two to 3 times for low damage and not do much by the time hyperarmor activated. Contrast this to 2 and 1 where enemies in pvp or pve could be stunlocked a bit to allow for the damage to stack up, making these weapons viable compared to others. So this allowed only a small section of weapons to truly be viable in pvp and pve.

Oh also because of the no poise and no benefit to armor, you'll go for speed so usually clothes or lighter things to dodge, removing the synergy and choice between having to use heavier shit to be slow but durable, to need lighter shit for speed and devastation. All thats viable now is speed.

Weapon Variety

Remember when I mentioned weapon variety just before? Yeah the poise system broke it. Like I mentioned up top, the lack of working poise like previous Souls games Not only were slow big hitters unviable now in both pve and pvp, but the quick fast hitters which stacked up damage with stunlocking were too. On top of that, due to how shitty boss weapons are, the necessity to keep upgrading weapons over the course of the entire game, and the upgrade materials being incredibly rare until later, as well as most weapons evening out to around the same damage overall, this lead to most players sticking with their weapon from the beginning of the game, ergo a short sword, a spear, maybe a trident and not varying it up. Its why the game always feels the same every time you play it again, you're kinda forced into the path of the same kinda weapons until late game, like lvl 50 or 60, which makes the game feel very repetitive and discourages startovers. On top of that, the weapons require str, dex combos and other stats much more compared to 1 & 2 , ensuring you dont have much choice in weapons unless you know a very specific weapon you're going for beforehand and wait till later to get it. That or suffer with a weak as fuck weapon that you dont upgrade, going against bosses to eventually be able to upgrade this other weapon a couple dozen lvls in and use it immediately.

Magic

Magic is broken in DS3. The range is like 8 yards, before you lock off, the scaling is terrible, the damage is terrible too, making it horrible in the beginning and even worse later. And enemies have a tendency to make you lock off when they notice you, forcing you to lock on again before they charge and hit you. And because enemies are much faster paced in this game, more akin to bloodborne than the souls series, you cant use magic like you did in earlier games, as they close the distance so quickly. The only viable magic is Pyromancy, as its often melee styled magic, but its still relatively weak in comparison to melee and it requires massive stat investments which will leave you much weaker than melee characters when you're in the higher lvls, just to be able to use magic of some kind. This also ruins variety as magic of all kinds is pretty unviable and leaves anyone with common sense and not wanting to rage against the game for being underpowered to have to go melee.

PVE
Whoo boy. So this is one of the depressing parts. DS2 managed to do new game plus right. In new game plus enemies got much harder, new enemies were added, bosses sometimes did different things, unique weapons and armors were only in new game plus, you could even meet some bosses outside the boss zone in new game plus. Armors, weapons and other things sometimes got upgrades making them stronger, which you'd need because the bosses also got a lot stronger on top of the new shit theyd sometimes be able to do. Compare this to DS3, which new game plus keeps bosses pathetically weak, reg enemies slightly stronger, and it just upgrades rings in new game plus. With DS2 people were going for new game plus10 and other shit for the challenge, while many players dont even bother getting new game plus1 or 2 due to the lack of any difference with the base game and barely any upgraded equipment or difference. With DS3 you beat it once and you're done, while with 2 you're incentivized to beat it several times over, if for the different enemies, boss techinques, new armors/weapons, upgraded equipment or for the overall added difficulty.

Story
I wont deny DS2 had a shitty story overall. I liked the story but it wasnt on the same level as DS1 and the warping and disconnect between levels often detracted from it, but the story in DS3 is also mostly just nods toward DS1, the same old armors and weapons and the same reused theme. At least with DS2 they made new equipment and armor, as well as tried something slightly different instead of just giving props to the first game and redoing the same thing with the same armor and weapons. It's like with the prequels and the new star wars movie. Yeah, the prequels were shit but at least they were their own story, instead of the same story again like the new movie.

Combat
Combat is too fast paced and fluid compared to its predecessors. It doesnt lend well to the Souls franchise as everything moves too fast and forces quick battles compared to how the armor and weapons are set up. Its not bloodborne where you're supposed to be quick and recoup lost health by being vicous. The fast combat has lead to shields being near useless as your stam will break quickly under the onslaught of attacks, leaving dodge the only viable option, the bosses and enemies are too quick for combat with magic, or like I mentioned earlier slower weapons. Quicker weapons might work on bosses but I doubt it with their damage. The combat essentially shoehorns in medium speed weapons like the shortsword, rapier, spears, tridents and shit, rather than the multitude of viable weapons in DS1 & 2. Like in 1 & 2 everything was viable from daggers to hyper greatswords, or from whips to slow poleaxes, from caestus to dual bloody shields. Theres no variety to anything. Hell, even the moonlight greatsword is shit.

Overall, the only thing DS3 got right is the aesthetics and the graphics, Other than that it was shit. The game was fun for one playthough and barely at that. Compare that to 1 and 2 which are still being played a lot and you can quickly see how much miyazaki failed. It also had less content than 1 and 2.

4 can't even be blamed for 5's lazy and/or stupid design decisions, there could have been a better future.

Never played the series, what's so bad about 3?

"LOL SO RANDUMB XD - The Game"

I just played Haze for the first time and I can't believe what a terrible game it was. Almost a shame because the story is right on. You basically play a little fruity ass who gets tricked into being a useful idiot for a leftist dictator. They make you kill the only guy in the game who makes any sense at all in cold blood.

It may have passed the curse of Sonic onto Bioware.

Mega Man?

Does remind me of a review of Spyro from Playstation magazine that reluctantly compared it to Mario 64 in playstyle.

What if it was the other way round

Metal Gear Solid

It was pretty good, but nobody wanted a C&C FPS spin-off, and EA ended up killing Westwood for that.

Hopefully From Software can finally distance themselves from this Souls shit.

Game came out in 1998. If people say it ruined FPS I really wonder what they mean. Hell I doubt most of /v was even gaming back then.

something that still haunts and affects us to this day

Sci-fi Souls 2018 faggot.

Great, online cancer continues.

isnt that just speculation though?

Actually it was Sonic. The working title was "Sonic's Ass Game." And being the first 3D Sonic game does make it unique.

It's just an extra hit. This is where it's similar to DKC. And Diddy is a bigger bitch than Aku Aku. Diddy is the biggest bitch in the universe. I want a DK/Dixie game.

Wrong again. It's a flat copy of Crash Bandicoot, since it's by the same devs. It's literally Crash with an interconnected world instead of using warps. That's why I didn't even bother talking about it in my other post. It's just Crash 5. But a good one.

Banjo isn't even a platformer, it's an adventure game. You do barely any jumping in it. It's a whole different genre.

Are you fucking with me? It's obviously Mario Kart rather than Diddy Kong Racing. What makes DKR unique is the different vehicles, which are absent from CTR.

Have fun convincing people of that one. They all have great level design, especially CTR. The levels are made to give constant rewards for skill, with great physics and a great boost system. It's definitely the best of its gen, and, partially due to there not being many kart racers anymore, arguably still among the best today. It's not like there has been much competition since aside from several Mario Karts.

I liked the game, but yeah, it was too ambitious for it's own good.

it hurts. Nier: Automata looks alright though

fantastic game that had an abysmal effect on the industry

their shittiness found each other

health regen, infinatelly respawning enemies, extreme linearity and other things that people consider to be bad with the gameplay started with COD 2.

COD4 was at least a somewhat original idea to make a Tom Clancy-esque world war 3 game.
And COD 2 didnt implement those new gameplay elements badly and gave at least a bit of freedom in some areas to the player

The problem was that after the success of MW, they somehow felt that they made the "perfect blend" of gameplay elements and never tried to change it up a bit.
For example the "Infinatelly respawning enemies until you cross an invisible line" was implemented in earlier CODs as a way to trick the player into thinking they are fighting a huge army without wasting hardware performance. Later however they had no reason to use this system, but they did it anyway.
The nuke explosion in MW was a fitting moment and was a surprise moment. In later CODs they repeated the same shit again and the series became a parody of its former self. The plot became more and more nonsensical, the game linear and the gameplay more stale.

MW1 was the turning point, but it itself isnt that bad of a game

super told them it was ok to not make an rpg