Help Installing Gear Head 2

I know you are not Holla Forums but that board is a dead ghost town. Holla Forums is the closest thing to Holla Forums and the most likely to happen to know the answer to this. please help…

I'm going to try to make it simple so bare with me.

got my old laptop with debian (linux)
I want to install/make/compile/configure/ and so on Gearhead 2 (latest version)
github.com/jwvhewitt/gearhead-2/releases/tag/v0.630

I have no idea how to do this.

these are the download options:

I notice that the sdl-linux one is available (supposedly this means that the game finally gets graphics instead of text symbols (ascii) which is cool but gives me a headache.

the problem is that all those options except for
are all i386 (32 bit)

Now, call me clueless, but does the source code tar.gz contain the sdl version inside as well? I searched the folder and came up with only a few sdl results but I don't know if that means that it just supports it or if it's all built in and ready to go?

I need to choose the correct file, and then make the game go.

Please help me Holla Forums you are so cool.

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/projects/gearhead2/files/gearhead2/0.628/
sourceforge.net/projects/jedi-sdl/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

and you fell for the micronazi wangblows meme rit guis?

my old busted laptop was able to run with linux so I was like "eh" alright cool. I used it to learn more about linux so I could eventually make the move fully to linux. fuck windows.

What the fuck happened to people with brain cells?

apt get install gentoo

was this post necessary? what the fock m8

it's tough getting help from experienced linux anons.

why do you sick fuckers post shit like this.

Ben Garrison. That you?

OP you dumb nigger you don't need to "install" anything. It's a download and go.

You DO go brownie points for GH2 tho. Hopefully you can have a better chance of deciphering the event scripting than I, all I can do are make shitty mecha that don't work very well because weight, or a few custom items to make mecha shopping better.

Remember, get them intimidation maxed out for those delicious ejects. Nothing like getting [INSERT ANTAGONIST]'s custom-of-the-week piloted by a robot made of nothing but several bottles of glue poured into a puddle around a PC.

please help Holla Forums?

I can't understand you. I'm sorry.

I have the file but I don't know what to do with it.

or rather, I don't know if I have the right file either.

I was making comments about you using the term "install", and then giving you props for having interested in the game and talking about things you can do in-game.

There's 0.628 at the very least if you want 64bit sourceforge.net/projects/gearhead2/files/gearhead2/0.628/

What did you download, and what do you mean "file", it's all archives that you need to unpack. You HAVE done that right?

sorry for taking a while to reply, I had to feed my cat.

well I tried the
and it appears to have images and sdl related content inside it, but does this really guarantee that it's really the graphical version and not just making up for some kind of compatibility?

I haven't done anything beyond that. I don't know if I'm guaranteed to get the graphics to load as my main playing experience for the game.

beyond that, I don't know how to install it since it doesn't come with a "play the game now" button as some thing do.

bump?

Pretty sure SDL is a configuration switch in the config.

You're going to have to compile it. Games normally come pre-compiled, but the source code allows you to edit the game to its deepest parts and re-compile it to your whim. Windows is for people like you mate, no offense

From the bottom of the code page:
>First of all you need FreePascal, available from www.freepascal.org. To compile with graphics on Windows you also need the Jedi-SDL package, available from here: sourceforge.net/projects/jedi-sdl/

Nevermind, answered my own question.

The poor thing is already falling for bad Holla Forums memes and causing himself all sorts of grief with his lack of computer knowledge and basic problem solving skills.

I'm giving him a freebie for his choice in games.

t-thanks

I have
gearhead-2-0.630.tar.gz

so I extracted it
and from what another user told me (starting to make a little sense now)

I would right click on the extracted folder and open with terminal then

is this good?

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

gg ez no re

And where is this readme? O_O

Here's a tip for you friendo, it's a click away.

good game easy no retard?

?

this wont totally fuck up my computer will it?

do I even need to do that if
actually contains all the SDL things needed for The 3D graphical version?
does it?

readme was in the folder. hue hue.

gotta admit that was funny.

does Source code (tar.gz) actually contain all the SDL things needed for The 3D graphical version?

does it automatically use the 3D graphical version of installed normally?

Close. Remake, not retard

Depends on if the architecture you is supported in the source.

why no remake? isn't gearhead 2 a sequel?

I already answered the question by quoting the fucking readme mate.

On Linux, the SDL units come with the fpc compiler. Lucky you. Make sure that you have libsdl, libsdl_image, and libsdl_ttf installed if you plan to use the graphics version.

*if installed normally

so does that mean that if I compile it normally from source the game will automatically be created as the 3D graphical version?

is this good?

As long as you have libsdl, libsdl_image, and libsdl_ttf installed

okay thanks,

I'm going to do exactly this:

no such file or directory.

RAGE

why do things have to be so diffcult. I hate microsoft so much and I just want to be free.

Looks like you'll have to go with 0.628 instead mate.

It's a fun game. I use the terminal version myself.

can you just tell me what went wrong?

No I can't. All I can do is point you in the direction of the previous version, which works for 64bit.

honestly not what I wanted to hear right now.

I've got steam coming out of my ears, why wont the stupid terminal recognize that there is such a file and directory, because it's literally cd'd AT THE DIRECTORY!? fucking linux! arhg!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think it has anything to do with with the 64 bit because I'm using the source code no?

seriously I'm mad. MAD AT LINUX!

doesn't make just use /home/ if no path is set?

so you know the answer? are you withholding knowledge?

what is your question?

waiting to play gearhead 2 while begging for help several solar cycles in a row isn't fun.

bump?

OP, why aren't you just going

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gearhead gearhead2

It's in Debian's repository even for Jessie. If it's too out-of-date for your liking that's when you resort to building from source. But even that isn't hard.

Your initial gripe is the only versions available are a 32bit architecture. So I assumed that was your issue. I don't do linux because I like to play video games.

He's suggestion that the make command needs to be set to the location of the game files.

I know you're new here so please, can you calm it down a bit?

Yes. I wanted to play the lastest version.

can you teach me how to build it from scratch?

I did this:

wait, you mean to say that all of these are 32bit?

Common sense dictates that the source code, which made all of the other options, would also be for the i386, considering the lack of other options.

Okay, now I know. thank you.

is

a really bad idea?

I'm afraid my computer will be destroyed.

another thing that confuses me, is why even though if it's 32bit, would it not have the proper ./configure make make install

inside anyways?

Gentoo is a fully configurable, two pane x file manager. How will that help him?

It's a meme you dip

how do I make the game give me fun

please help

I'm decidedly even as to go more look like at now.

refreshing the page

refreshing

I can't give up.

Try running the Windows version in Wine.

try stop sucking a dick and install the i386 arch, update, dist-upgrade, download the sdl tarball, run the executeable and stop being retarded

I think that might break my computer.

might as well off yourself

All that means is that you can install x86-based programs in addition to x86-64 ones. This is rarely needed, exceptions are ZSNES or Wine or any proprietary programs only built for x86.

It may work with the x64 compiler so you don't have to add the x86 programs, just install fp-compiler. However I'm stuck on this error.
Probably a missing dependency. I don't have time to figure out what at the moment. There's a bunch of other fp-units packages.

command not found

If you installed Gentoo, you wouldn't have this problem.

Windows is made for people with reservations like yours

Windows was made for retards, but Gentoo was made for memes.

I'm telling the truth though, there is a package in Linux Mint that is called gentoo, and it's described as follows:

daily reminder that all you have to do is
./gearhead2 ezpz

guys I got the 1386 architecture and I get the same problems.

no such file or directory

command not found

I HAVE THE FUCKING FOLDER! ITS RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

download the sdl tarball
learn to read the contents in the folder, theres no configure file.

you're missing a head or two

Okay will try that. hold on.

I'm also telling the truth. It's a meme. You fucking dip

Make sure to make a high int or craft character every time. Grab tech vulture for dem parts, or pump up intimidate to get a chance to get pilots to eject, leaving their entire mechs behind. Alternatively, grab robotics to make minions out of random shit you find, sentient ones that can pilot mechs if your stats/skills are high enough/you dump enough data visors in.

IN THE END, YOU CAN INSTALL IT WITH YOUR PACKAGE MANAGER ANYWAYS

I got

and it functioned immediately!

the new problem is that the games readme file claims that a file called
"gearhead.cfg"

* CONFIGURATION *

When you run GearHead2 for the first time it creates a configuration
file, "gearhead.cfg". You can edit this file with any text editor. Some of the
useful settings are:

WINDOW - The graphical version will run in a window on the desktop rather than
taking over the whole screen. This option has no effect in ASCII mode.

keep in mind I haven't compiled it because I don't know how to, but the game loads and everything…

help!

so I tried that and there is just an Icon sitting inside that makes the game start.

game's readme file says:

When you run GearHead2 for the first time it creates a configuration

file, "gearhead.cfg". You can edit this file with any text editor. Some of the

useful settings are:

window The graphical version will run in a window on the desktop rather than taking over the whole screen. This option has no effect in ASCII mode.

please help

bump?