Furi

The dodge has startup. The parry has startup too.

This is a fast-paced action game/shmup hybrid, why the FUCK would the dodge have startup? I react to the attacks and the ten frames of startup on the dodge mean I get hit anyway. I guess there's startup because you have the option to charge your dodge and they couldn't program it tightly. Charging a dodge is never a good idea anyway, since you WILL get hit.

Why didn't they map dodge and parry to the same button, but require a dodge to be a press + a direction? It's somehow even clunkier than MGR's controls.

Why do the bosses all do a stupid shmup segment at the end of their fights which completely changes the rules of the fight from a hybrid to a straight shmup? Slogging through the gigantic health bars is enough of a pain in the ass, and God forbid you fail and have to start over.

Why are there five minutes of walking between each boss? Just have a fucking cutscene play and give me some visual storytelling to go along with the hack writing if it's so gravely important I understand the characters.

I'm glad I didn't pay $25 for this game.

That all sounds aweful.

Why would someone do that? That's one of those things that feels like was solved 20 years ago.

I saw a youtube video of this a few months ago and I'm amazed that anyone actually thought it was going to be good or challenging.

Might try it again later, I lost interest after the second boss. The combat's pretty boring considering how few options there are. You will play the game exactly this way or you won't play it at all.

If you haven't lurked the previous Furi threads, the defense force claims that there's no delay on the dodge at all.

there is delay in the dodge, but it's probably to make it harder, not some bug

git gud

If we're thinking of the same video, I figured the technical stuff like that would get polished up. I also didn't realize parry and dodge were different buttons. I get what they were going for, having multiple options on offence and defence, but the boss fights are so heavily patterned and so restrictive it's basically the red and blue enemies from DmC. It becomes this game of patty-cake where the boss readies an attack and you have to use the appropriate defensive option. No room for improvisation or creativity.

The game actually changing stuff from one difficulty mode to the other was promising to me when I saw the gameplay at first, but it doesn't really matter if the core controls are fucked.

The third boss is more interesting than the others, so I'd say at least try him out. Very gimmicky, though, so your mileage may vary. And the fourth boss is weirdly difficult. He took me about an hour but the boss after him was a pushover.

I'm not inherently against the idea of dodge startup for a slower, more methodical kind of combat like Zelda or the Souls games, but in an action game like this the controls should be as tight as possible.

Given the game's lack of animation, I'm not sure whether I can safely say it's a bug or not. If there was a clear divide between him preparing to dash, dashing, and coming out of it, then the answer would be obvious. But there's just this hesitation of what feels like a fifth or a quarter of a second, and THEN my input gets registered.

Like I said, I think it has to do with the way they coded the dodge charging. The way Furi does it, you have the normal dash and a large number of graduations between that minimum distance and the maximum distance. If I had to guess, I'd say every frame you hold down the button adds some amount of distance to the dash once you release it. I think a better solution would be to have a small range of time at the start which automatically gets input as a normal dash, and then above that the game will actually do the math as to the distance.

user, that's just wasteful.

The soundtrack and art direction is fucking awful. The shmup-like gameplay looked fucking cheap and poorly done, but it didn't prepare me for how shit it actually was when I got my hands on it.

This game is utter shit.

Eh, like I said, might give it a shot.
You can say that again

every fucking time, I bet none of these retards even made it past the second boss before crawling back to their "super deep and hard" soulshit

It does give you i-frames. It literally teleports you from one place to another to avoid damage. That isn't the complaint. Shill harder.

Good taste? On my Holla Forums? Huh.

learn to read faggot, I said it's not a magical button as in spam to win like in every other shitter super "hard" game

So it's just another indieshit hipster game that rides off its artstyle, music, "deep" story ,and half assed gimmick gameplay?

Yes.

I liked it. I'd like it more if the dodge was as smooth as it looks in the trailer and if I could actually play past level 3 because LOL AMD CARD FUCK YOU

I got it for free and have been finding it pretty fun. The first few bosses are piss easy once you get used to the controls but they get better. I had a bit of trouble with the sword and shield guy before beating him but now i'm stuck on the sniper boss because I suck at shmup gameplay and keep dying at her final phase because there is so much shit to dodge and I can't do it. Dying then means I have to restart the fight which wouldn't be as bad if I didn't have to spend 5 minutes chasing her around the map.

I'm still enjoying it though. I got it for free but wouldn't have minded buying it if I got it really cheap. Seems like a nice small game.

Got this the other day because of some people here, likely shills. Sounds a bit lame and made to be purposefully frustrating.

it's good, just git gud you casual faggot :^)

If you didn't like the first bosses I don't think you'd like the rest, you'd be better off refunding or something.

How is something made to be purposefully frustrating? The only time I've encountered that were the I wanna be the ____ games and Hell Temple

Dodge has no delay, it's executed the moment you RELEASE the button.
I loved the game. Looks like you're in a grave need of gitin gud.

I wish it was the instant space is presed but I think it's because the dash can be charged.
So is this where half an A press would come into play?

**if you charge your dash long enough you can jump into parallel universes.

if you charge your dash long enough you can jump into parallel universes.

Souls has a stamina meter and cooldown so you can't spam dodges, Furi doesn't. So Furi DOES have a magical i-frame button that you can spam to win. Try again.

I finished the game and found furier mode an actual challenge but all I really want is that damn vinyl to ship.

top kek

But there is no delay :^). Remember? Anyone who says there is a delay is a casual.

Even if there is a 0.2 second delay on the dash, you can dash again as soon as the other dash is completed, 0.2 seconds later, over and over again, since you clearly skipped right over the part about the stamina meter. Try again, nice IP change though.

try again

Just stick to posting smug anime girls if you're going to be this incoherent. Nice IP change, again.
I wasn't the one bitching about either of those.

The dodge in Furi is so good because it doesn't have magical i-frames (which it does), because it requires strategy (which it doesn't), and because it can't be spammed to win (which it can). Didn't even bring up Souls as a comparison, don't blame me because your shitty comparison doesn't hold water.

You know what, this time, don't try again, I feel bad watching you squirm.

are you fucking retarded? do you think you're talking to the same person?

Are you that fucking stupid to believe
the next thing you're going to say is "BLOCKING COUNTS AS IFRAMES. BLOCKSTUN IS THE SAME AS IFRAMES!"

fucking moron

Yes.

What do you think "i-frames" means? We are talking about the dodge here.

you were talking about the dodge having iframes moments ago

being in a different place does NOT mean you're INVINCIBLE.

You are welcome to defend why this makes your game good. Maybe try taking a few deep breaths and not leaning so hard on the capslock.

second boss is a semen demon tbqh

nice try retard, It teleports you, from point a to point b, literally teleporting somewhere is not the same thing as having iframes. You can still warp into an attack, if it had iframes that huge blue ball of dick would have not damaged you.

As of why this game is good, have the following:
This game is a good game because it has good music and the framerate is locked at your refresh rate, it can be configured to a lower framerate if you so choose. I really enjoy how this game is actually a shump game despite people saying it's some souls-like experience, when shooting doesn't work it's actually a minigame similar to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. You can also parry purple balls which most people may not know.

Ha yeah, just "two words" in all caps

You press the button to dodge.
The dodge lasts for a few frames of animation.
During those frames, you cannot take damage.
I don't think I can possibly explain this any more simply, I don't have experience working with special needs children.

Surely you must be joking.

You have never played a shmup before.

the dodge does not last a few frames, those few frames are actually recovery frames that you can't move but you do any action otherwise, during those frames you can take damage actually, if you played the game and looked carefully you would know. unlike multiple of bad games, the framerate is glued to a certain framerate due to bad habits in programming.
To answer the shump question. It's not a traditional side-scrolling/vertical-scrolling shump that's for sure. it's more of similar to a subgenre of shumps, twin stick shooters, but it's still a good game.

The dodge does last a few frames. Your character doesn't teleport from point A to point B in one frame. There are intermediary frames. If you played your game and looked carefully you would know.

Uh, excuse me? You just said the character does teleport from Point A to point B. why are you making up false lies? I feel like you're just hating this game because of dodging alone, you can beat the game without dodging.

Um, what the fuck did you just fucking say to me you little bitch? That implies that it happens within the same frame of animation?

So, true truths? :^)

I hate the game because it's boring and it's being aggressively marketed on Holla Forums.

try again retard

Your ID's pretty appropriate fam

nice argument son

top kek

You on a proxy doesn't count as multiple people. Are you looking forward to going back to school?

honestly sad by this point, just give up

This game is fun.

I think I figured out what I dislike about the game so much and why its mechanical design is overall so shitty.

Any good action game (you can most easily see this in character action like DMC and Platinum games) will treat the enemies like their own entities. They have their own attacks, habits, and tells which make them behave believably and as though they were actual people/goblins/robots/whatever. It's a bit tricky to put this into words without having a MatthewMatosis-level explanation of what I mean, but in a good game you end up thinking
and not

You can hit Jetstream Sam whenever you want in MGR and your attacks will be treated normally. The player always has the option to damage Sam, but some options are better than others.

Or, if this isn't truly the case, the scripting is so complex and thoroughly thought out as to make the enemies feel as though they have AI which exists mostly independent of the player. Half-Life has very simply programmed AI, but there are so many ways the entities in that game can react to one another it feels larger and more complex than it actually is.

Furi's bosses behave like they're from a PS2 game circa 2003. The main reason this is so noticeable and not an endearing quirk (in addition to the game's stiff movement mechanics) is because the bosses can't always be damaged. They have very clear divides between when you may and may not hit them, and fuck you if you try to be creative. It's less an interaction with a system of logic and more the bosses rapidly/randomly switching their "let the player hit me" switches from on to off and back again.

The angel chick with twin crossbows (surefire sign of cancerous character design, by the way) is the most egregious example of what I mean. She's only invincible when she glows orange, but the rest of the time she's so far away from you and moves around so quickly that your gunshots are going to miss 90% of the time - effectively invincible, and very clearly saying "You can't hit me right now, so wait until I go through an attack pattern and deliberately expose myself."

The boss can fly around through the air if you so much as look at her while in shmup mode, but as soon as she gets into an attack pattern, it's VITALLY IMPORTANT that she take a second and a half to SLOWLY draw herself back to a standing posture? Fuck off, game.

You remember when people would joke that Dr. Wily and robot masters should just build a really tall wall to stop MegaMan from defeating them? Vid related is what I'm talking about: the boss, Mephiles, will shoot rocks at the player and the player can pick them up and throw them back. This is the only way for the player to hurt Mephiles, So why the fuck does he ever shoot rocks at you?

It's possible to squeeze in three or four normal shots while she's darting around, but most of the time you have to wait for her to do something stupid and purposefully open herself up so you can actually deal damage. Shitty, decade-old game and boss design, and I thought the industry had moved past it.

Just finished the game today. The game is good, fucking Holla Forums complaining when they are just bad at the game.

The delay dodging at the beginning is confusing, but you get used to it when you learn that it works when releasing the button, not when pressing it. Once you know that you only have to make quick presses or learn to charge the dodge. Still I think they should have made it work when pressing it though.

The boss are fun, I love my danmakus so I have no issues with that. The only shit boss is the "last" one (not counting the extra one). The rest have a really good difficulty curve, in your first try you feel like it's unfair, then you learn how they move and see a HUGE difference when fighting them. Every attack is announced anyways so there's not really unfair attacks, it's all about learning their patterns (like every fucking game) and get the timing right. People who don't like danmaku games will probably hate the real final boss.

Of course it is an indie game, it costs 25 bucks (free in PS4 with PSN+), so don't expect a super polished game. But considering the price it's pretty good. I wish most indie games would be half as fun as this one. Also for once we don't have an indie game focusing so much in bullshit or story and it's basically pure gameplay, one boss after the other. The story is just there for context.

I honestly would have no problem calling the game a decent typical boss rush game if it weren't for the dodge start up. It's so bad I honestly asked around just to make sure it wasn't my controller fucking up. Seriously the game throws shit at you that needs to be immediately reacted towards and they have a fucking delay input on dodge? What kind of shitty design is that?

On all the other shit in this game I can deal with though. I don't mind the 5 minute walking simulator bits and I don't mind the somewhat wonky animations and the repetitiveness in the battles. In fact the game is fairly well optimized because I can run it on my shitty toaster. But the fucking dodge start up is hell and makes the game unplayable. You know that boss that instant kills you with a sniper rifle unless you dodge? Yea that was sure fun to put up with.

The game looks decent to. It has nice aesthetic charm and good voice work. Carpenter Brut is my shit, the writing isn't anything great but it's serviceable. It just amazes me how retarded the devs are to fuck up 1 single thing so bad it essentially killed the game.
The only other thing that's absolute shit is the asking price. $10-15 at most. And that's pushing it. Especially given the games length and how fucking lacking it was in content.

All shitposting and wanting to feel superior over vidya aside, the game is dull and boorish. I got it for free and I'm pretty bored with it so far.

god awful art
lazy. physics hair and cloth everywhere, but used badly, so everything is clipping and looks worse than static objects.
poor shading technique makes ugly artifacts fucking everywhere. levels look like they were made in sketchup in an afternoon. animations look like Xavier. /agdg/ throwaway projects are better than this.

This isn't really an issue. It's just a different set of rules you have to abide.

The problem I had was that the controls weren't very responsive. Charging both an attack and dodge at the same time is finicky; you have to hold attack first and wait a split second before holding the dodge button, otherwise the game ignores your inputs.
Also, trying to dodge an attack at the last second tends to fuck me over, particularly in the last boss when he does those wave attacks (pic related). I don't know if it's bad hit detection or an issue with the dodge start up as many people seem to be complaining about.
The walking sections should be skippable, and the animations of parries/critical attacks should be shorter or not have the cinematic camera angle, because watching that shit over and over gets boring really quick for a game with such an arcade-y feel. Also this

Overall, it's a decent game and a few small tweaks could make the game significantly more enjoyable, but there's no way I would pay full price for a boss rush game with simplistic gameplay. I only got it with PS+.

oh you reminded me: a bullethell with ugly floof and bloom particles so you can't see distance or edges. the old arcade types with clear flashing orange/blue bullets had it right, game wouldn't have to be so easy mode if it wasn't stumbling over its own bad art.

I was going to buy it until I watched a youtube movie of it. Kind of garbage and senseless story. I guess I shouldn't have any standards for games anymore, but it's hollow daydream fodder. I thought they were going somewhere with it, waxing all poetic with that bunny guy, but it is exactly what they show from beginning to end. Edgy sword man is that fat, fedora wearing, sword wielding, edgelord's daydream.

the boss boss fight with "the edge" was pretty fun

i hated the last bosses patterns because there were so many overlapping translucent orbs that fucked with my eyes a lot

Nigga the game is painful to even look at. What are the chances of it having good gameplay.
Well game still look like crap, I didn't even pirate it.

Man, I never like adding a startup to anything in exchange for the charge option. I'd ALWAYS pick an instantaneous version without charging at all if given the choice.

So the dodge starts the instant it registers the button is pressed down, and the total length of the dodge is determined by how long until the button is released. It's basically the same logic as holding the jump button to jump higher, and that's been in games, without putting any lag into starting the jump, forever.

Motherfucker who cares, the only thing anyone cares about is the soundtrack

Do you faggots just hate everything? All I see is you whining about 'dodge delay' and the fucked up controls, when fact of the matter is only turbo autists like you notice these things.

I played through the game and no problems with dodge at all, I feel like you're either finding things to complain about or your dorito-ham fists make it too difficult to charge attack while dodging.

It's not perfect but I like it for what it is: Fun, engaging and challenging enough to remain an enjoyable experience. Soundtrack's good too. Maybe if you stopped circlejerking so much you could actually enjoy things again.

Then you're on the wrong board and you need to go back to where you came from.

Found the apologist normalfag.

I'm playing on normal, not easy.

I wouldn't have thought a small indie studio could afford viral marketers, but you appear to be a cut below the rest of the IDF. What's the going rate for a shitpost on 8/v/ these days?

I played the game and enjoyed it. Am I incorrect?

There are millions of people who smoke cigarettes every day because they enjoy doing it. Does that mean cigarettes are good for you?

I'm saying fun isn't objective you tit

He's right. I'm Tumblr loves Gone Home. I bet user does as well. :^)

You talk like a casual fag and your shit is all retarded

But you are right about the walking simulator bits, you dont even need to touch your controller, the nigger walks on his own, why even bother puting this crap on the game

Is there a wordfilter I don't know about?

Video games aren't carcinogenic. Try again with a different analogy

Which is also what I was saying. I'm glad we agree that you're an idiot and your original point has no weight because you admit "I had fun" is a worthless, meaningless statement. Good talk.

The experience a player derives from a game is subjective and unique to that player. If you had fun, good for you.

The craft that goes into designing and making a game is objective. There are objective right and wrong things to do, and Furi does things objectively wrong in many of its core gameplay elements.

Bad game design.

Two men eat dinner, one using a regular fork and one using a fork bent so its tines face away from each other. They both have a great time eating and can handle the food just fine, but the forks are not of equal quality.

Bad game design.

I'd take your word for it if you were some expert game designer, or in fact, the was one specific way to make a game 'good'.

Instead, you've pointed out things you personally dislike and said "I don't like these, so they must make the game bad, these game designers must have made bad decisions."

Boy I'm glad we have such an enlightened fellow on hand to point out all these egregious errors :^]

You are the shilliest shill in the world

That doesn't make any sense, just because they day is longer doesn't mean we would live any longer?

You can say the things you dislike and your reasons why, and I can state the things I dislike and my reasons why.

The things you say are far too flaky to just be labeled 'bad design' when most of these things were probably intentional, and there can be argued reasons for including them. Like literally all your complaints with this game in particular are just 'I don't like it'

Don't try and tell me

Is objectively bad and not something you just dislike, and

Is something you only say because you didn't figure how to properly use the charge and just deemed it worthless.

I think the dodging is okay. Most things you need to dodge you see coming from a mile away so you can hold the button to dodge the appropriate distance away. I really hate the parrying, though. Either the parry itself is finicky or the cues from bosses are very misleading, but the shitty parry system pretty much kills this game for me.

If it was intentional, it was bad design. There is no refutation here.

A charge shot would have to be strong enough that the risk of locking you in place for a second would be worth the reward of the higher damage, but it isn't. Or the boss attack patterns would have to take into consideration that you cannot move while charging a shot, but they don't. Or they could let you charge a shot the same way they let you charge a dodge and a melee attack, but they arbitrarily don't.

Take your formatting back to Reddit, since that's clearly where you crawled out of.

Yall are a bunch of babies. If you don't like the music or the artstyle the game isn't for you. I like Synthwave/whateverthefuckit'scalled and I like the character designs. The artstyle could be crisper but I don't hate it.

So far the only two points I've been getting my shit pushed in were me being impatient with the old zen dude and currently with the sniper chick.

As far as the dodge, how about you just dodge a little earlier to compensate for the apparent delay you're complaining about? It's not like you don't have a variable-distance teleport dodge that can put you wherever you want if you aim it correctly.

Please explain how making any move(such as a dodge) arbitrarily delayed is good in a twitchy action game. I'd love to hear you justify that.

Newfag spotted. Leave and don't come back.

>>>/reddit/

I understand how the charges work perfectly. I also understand that using the SUPER POWERFUL charge is effectively worthless because it simply changes a cycle of defence -> attack -> defence -> attack into defence -> charge -> defence -> attack for double damage.

You kinda get used to the startup dodge around the third boss so it's not really that much of a problem. Never had problems with the parry since the game gives you a cue when to use it which is when a flash appears before their attacks. The charge attacks, both melee and range, are garbage though. Never really used them since they take way too long too charge up, deal terrible damage and sends bosses into their invulnerable state. Also never use the final attack in the melee combo since it too sends bosses into their invulnerable state.

It literally says in the image "if human biology was also changed such that…"

Stop being retarded.

You're right. Unless I have (x) posts in the thread anything I say is meaningless. Honestly I don't understand this meme at all, in every thread other than the OP everyone has to make a first reply.

Also you must be so enraged at this game that you can't even make it through an entire post before replying to it.

ITT impossibly stupid people that have never played a videogame in their lives fail to realize you can tap the dodge button for an instant dodge

wew

I pirated this and was having fun. Shame there's a thread on Holla Forums saying bad things about it, now I wont like it.

The startup dodge shit is making me want to bust my controller though

Your shift started again?

You don't do that. Just charge after you get an attack in and they're getting up. It also does far more than double damage and you can end a few phases on certain bosses right there in one combo. Also the basic charge attack has its use, when they're blocking and will otherwise just counterattack, you can use it then. If they dodge then now you know it doesn't work on this particular boss phase, so don't bother trying again.

The basic charge is also useful when you're avoiding their area attacks as you can charge it whiel dodging then slam then for a bit hit in the window

Did you reply to the wrong person?

This is a special kind of summer.

Go back to reddit you new foggat

This. It's like people didn't even bothered to play the game.
The dodge delay is shit but you can learn to tap and that's it, no mayor issues. The rest just works fine. You can spam certain enemies even if they defend themselves to counter them, you can surprise some enemies with charge attacks in phases where it is hard to hit but sometimes manage to throw them back and basically cut an entire phase off without letting them attack you. Of course some strategies work better than others but it's a fucking videogame, you have to figure out this stuff. All attacks have parts where they are useful. Can you finish the game without charging attacks? Yeah sure, but enjoy spending a few hours more for not fucking getting good.

OP, are you a fucking retarded? Maybe it was the tutorial boss, but the second boss can't possibly be much more difficult.

I have never played a Souls game, but I can tell just from watching gameplay footage that if you spam the dodge roll mindlessly, you will die like the moron you are.

Bad game design in a nutshell. Try harder, shill.

Wow, that looks like shit.