Linux zone: act 1

Now i am true lord of nogames. Well, at least as long as i have snes emulator and ability to shitpost on Holla Forums i won't die.

This is my first time experience with this system. What essential things i need to know about vidya on linux, except obvious emulators?

Other urls found in this thread:

osgameclones.com/
savagexr.com/download.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pipelight
playonlinux.com/
libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-2/
github.com/degenerated1123/REGoth
appdb.winehq.org/
playonlinux.com/en/app-486-Gothic_1.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

post the full version of that wallpaper user

I made it myself, when i was still using windows.

Cool, thanks!

90% of the worthwhile games are Windows versions played through WINE, which may or may not work well on your toaster-tier hardware, assuming it works at all. That's pretty much Linux gaming in a nutshell.

So basically the best way to play vidya on it is to rely on Wine? Okay, i'l try to configure it.

Play some Wesnoth or Warzone 2100. Also get used to things not compiling for unknown reasons at first. Learn to love repositories if you're going to stick with Debian/Ubuntu derivatives.

Wesnoth is great, i still remember how good it was when i was using mac os.

Well, i downloaded snes9x from some "repository" i guess, solely through terminal.

I haven't really seen any guides on how to get wine to work, and the man page seems uniquely unhelpful compared to the rest that I've read. I always see things about .wine folders in my home folder, but even when looking for hidden folders and files it doesn't show up, so I'm not sure if I need to create it and put whatever installer .exe in there or if I can just run the installer with wine and it'll automatically make the .wine folder and put the unpacked stuff fro the installer there.

here's the linux portion of my steam library
I did buy a few of these games just because they run on linux, though I doubt any of them besides FTL and maybe Darkest Dungeon will run well on your system.

cyka blyat
how shit/good is life in russia right now user?

If you used apt-get, you used a repo. Go get the repos from playdeb and add them for more updated versions of games.

First off, there are a shitton of game for Linux.

Those specs rule out a decent number of options, but some games run on basically anything:

-Risk of Rain
-Nuclear Throne
-Starbound
-Flamebreak
-Bastion
-FTL
-Tales of the Maj'Eyal

Also, you can probably play all the Source games. Some free ones that support the ole' GNU are BrainBread 2 and Fistful of Frags

checked

mostly a mix of freefags and people who don't want to be digitally cucked by MS

1280x1024 is 5:4
c2d and 6800 are more than enough to play xonotic and openMW
also see osgameclones.com/

Play savage XR faggot.

savagexr.com/download.html

Wine is a pain the ass. Don't bother.

If you must, PlayOnLinux is okay, but it's not 2009, Linux actually has native games.

I prefer UNIX-like to DOS/NT-like systems. And you can't really get proper gaming hardware on a Mac, so…

You'll need Pipelight to play Unity-based browser games:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pipelight
Here's a frontend for Wine:
playonlinux.com/
Also, here's a multiplatform emulator:
libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-2/

Well, part of the fact i installed linux is because government now saves all the data from users within six months on servers of your internet provider. Additional installation of auto-HTTPS and proxy makes for better protection.

Yeah, i'l do it.

Nice

Never knew, thanks for info.

Thanks

I know that i'l more quickly get more games by using emulators than i'l ever get with wine. That's for sure.

assume any free (libre) game works on gnu/linux. it not working is an exception rather than the rule

Soon: github.com/degenerated1123/REGoth
It has a native client?

No. I'm using Wine. I don't even need to reconfigure Wine to make Mount and Blade work.

No worries. If you're going to use Wine for stuff, it's always helpful to check Wine App DB to see if your thing will run: appdb.winehq.org/ .

The Gothic 1 and 2 entries say they run, but I'm not sure how to configure them.

…why are you using WINE for Mount and Blade? It has a native linux release.

PlayOnLinux has an installer. It does all the configuring for you: playonlinux.com/en/app-486-Gothic_1.html

$ sudo apt-get install playonlinux
$ playonlinux

I'm pretty sure there isn't. If there is, I've never seen it on any torrent website. Warband runs perfectly, though the original Mount and Blade has problems with first person.

That's what I tried, using the GoG version.

Nigger it was ported years ago.

There's not much configuration involved with WINE itself. Most of what you do is use the winetricks script to install required components like DirectX.

Say you want to create a fresh WINE prefix (that is, a new setup and directory with a different configuration than a previous one) and install DirectX 9. You do this in terminal:
WINEPREFIX=~/.new_wine_prefix winetricks d3dx9
This will make the .new_wine_prefix directory in your home folder, initialize the WINE setup there, and run winetricks to install DX9 into it. Then you can run a game directly from wherever it is by doing
WINEPREFIX=~/.new_wine_prefix wine /path/to/game.exe

It's not strictly necessary to create a new prefix for each game. I have one for Steam, one for general use with Japanese games and VNs, one for Falcom games, and one for GOG. If you decide you don't need one that you have configured, just delete the folder you specified.

This is a very simplified example, but if you google winetricks usage and use appdb.winehq.org/ to find per-game configuration tips that's 95% of the information you need to get games running.

PlayOnLinux is for plebeians.

ganoo+loonix is bretty good
the only main disadvantage I can think of is the bootloader is kind of retarded when it comes to displaying something on my screen

videogames wise, you can install zandronum/prboom+ for doom and quakespasm or darkplaces for quake, only if you have the original game files.
nethack and plenty of actual roguelikes

Better?

Weird. Like I was saying earlier, Wine can be fickle and might not be worth the trouble.

Not really. Taleworlds doesn't have a Linux client available on their website, and there's no cracked versions of this supposed Linux version on any torrent website whatsoever. If you could provide it for me and other Linux users, that would be better.

Has anyone tried to play games on linux within a windows virtual machine using gpu passthrough?

Sounds like that'd be the best way to perfectly run windows games, but I don't see people do this ever, so I'm wondering what the issue is.

Not hating on you piracy, but I don't think you'll have luck pirating Linux games. I checked through all my HumbleBundle games to see if there was M&B:WB in there to upload, but nope.

I've read about it, but I personally have enough native games to play that setting all that up sounds like a huge hassle.

your motherboard has to support virtualization, then you use kvm

it has no advantage over dual-booting other than sandboxing

For me, dualbooting itself is a massive hassle.

BEG YOUR PARDON OP BUT THE CORRECT TERMINOLOGY IS ACTUALLY GANOO SLASH LUNIX OR AS I'VE BEGUN CALLING IT LATELY GANOONIX

Why is Linux so superior to Winblows?
I have to go back to GNU/Linux sometime.

I accidentally my MBR and GRUB by deleting the linux partition when i wanted to switch from ubuntu to openSUSE and the flash drive stopped working, now i'm too paranoid to install it again

Forgot to sage for blogpost.

I do it. It's pretty good if your computer can take it. And it should, because you shouldn't be playing new games anyway because they suck.

Because I can't use Windows XP.

I've run windows 7 in virtual machine before, but is there a good guide for gpu passthrough out there?

I don't know anything about anything, I just did it.
I hope you mean Windows XP. Because that is what you should mean.