/agdg/ + /vm/

Old thread hit bump limit.

Other urls found in this thread:

scrap.tf/raffles/9SKGR6
docs.google.com/document/d/1iNSQIyNpVGHeak6isbP6AHdHD50gs8MNXF1GCf08efg/pub?embedded=true
robotloveskitty.tumblr.com/post/33164532086/legend-of-dungeon-dynamic-lighting-on-sprites
youtube.com/watch?v=dtpsuTV3Ohs
youtube.com/channel/UCdioEctcBLd2nw2aQkl8msw
shodan.me/books/
github.com/raysan5/raylib
volafile.io/get/zYELP4MIw65fow/shadowquest-game-beta7.16d.zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also motivational music so you faggots get your shit done

Shitty OP, though.

does this song push you to your limits ?

Looks like you're both running into a brick wall

GROOVE STREET
HOME

At least copy the old OP's text you fucking idiot.

lol

Ok I admit, I forgot that was the previous OP. But maybe try waiting until the IRC guy makes it next time, he probably has the copypasta on his PC.

This thread should have been called How to get hired by Pajeets edition.

I'm going to make an MMORPG

But I want you faggots to push it to the limit

If it's going to have the same shitty WoW gameplay do us all a favor and just kill yourself now

make a fairy raising simulator instead
must include petting

Hey guys,

how good is rpg maker? Could you make something like the early Final Fantasy games or Dragon Warrior games?

You can make everyone hate you by using it.

wew lad,

If I wanted to make an rpg that was similiar to those early rpg games where would should I start? I've taken (c/c++/unix/java) some courses in University but it was a few years ago and would rather not reinvent the wheel unless I had too.

Moving a spite over a world map and knowing how to do that would be the beginning challenge I think.

It'd be easier to make a good RPG with Game Maker than RPG Maker, but both can be used. People hate seeing standard parts of RPGM, and to change them you have to program in Ruby I think) and work with their pre-existing, somewhat hard to comprehend codebase. In GM you can st up a basic RPG pretty quickly and tailor it entirely to your wants and needs.
Reinventing the wheel would be setting up a simple 2D engine with SFML or something similar, which can also be fun, but you certainly won't need to do that for a simple RPG.

I can only speak for myself, but personally I always felt that games like that are so simplistic that you don't even need a "game engine" to make them. A framework or something that handles graphics/animations is always necessary unless you're super autistic, but other than that I can't think of anything that would be too difficult to do without a big engine.

I don't actually have any recommendations as far as engines/frameworks go though. I heard game maker is cucked somehow, but it seems to be the go-to for 2D. I highly highly recommend that you learn a more generalized engine instead of RPG maker or something that's designed for a specific genre/game type. You'll be much happier in the future and your game will be more open for invention.

Game Maker is not "cucked", it's dead. While it is not official, it will probably be discontinued soon, so you better look for something else.

Why would you want to use Game Maker, anyway? The dragondrop features are only good for the map editor, and there are many other freely available map editors out there; basically, the only "special" thing about Game Maker are its dragondrop features, and they aren't that good. Game Maker ends up being a glorified IDE for a shitty scripting language that you will eventually have to use because the rest of the engine isn't that good.

Grab Godot, grab LÖVE, grab libGDX… whatever, all of them will work well, just make sure they are flexible and healthy (which libre engines usually are). RPG are simple enough that you can pretty much program them with a library that can load assets, render parts of a texture on screen and an orthographic camera; you need nothing else.

if you have C experience go with game maker. Game maker's GML is a very simple scripting language that is somewhat C inspired. It's easy to use, very, VERY well documented and almost every tutorial i found and used on youtube was informative and useful.
RPG maker uses ruby, and take it from someone whos first language was ruby, its fucking awful. also RPG maker will limit you if you want to go past simple RPG mechanics, overall game maker is superior, and with the experience you get from making your RPG, you can do something cooler with it after.

IRC nigger here, I actually didn't have an OP copypaste to use for previous threads. I did have pictures saved, but they were scattered in my imageboard pic folder. I've gone ahead and organized my shit a bit.

which third world shit hole do you come from?

Spain.

Have another image, and a non-jpg version of one of yours.

Tried modeling characters for my game today, but not happy with the results.

There's the unfinished full-size anime character, then the chibi version of the same character (because full-size looked too small when scaled in-game). Chibi looks a bit better, since she has more volume, but not good. The video shows the chibi character ingame, unanimated.

I think I'll try a robot character next, something with more volume than the previous attempts.

Thoughts?

goddamn

try something with wheels or rollerblades

My mountain has downs
are there any that actually look like this?

looks like a giant middle finger on part of it heh
U using perlin noise?
I assume it's unity terrain too, right?
If so, what is your generation time look like, and what is the chunk size?
I'm curious, as I do this too, but probably a different method than you.

well, specifically for the mountain, the noise is a bit too obvious in this case.
I.e. it looks way too rugged, but that's probably due to how you do your normals.
I'd recommend you to do normals via a piecewise method, preferably trilinearly interpolated normals based on the density of neighboring values (it comes out looking more smooth).

Also, I'd slap a triplanar shader on there so you get a better representation of what it will look like (simple one is only based on the slope of the vertex/normal).
You can find a few simple, but good enough ones via a quick search.

Generation time is pretty high, I only get about 15 fps in the editor while editing the area around the player. It takes about 5 seconds, as well. No point in measuring it precisely, at one point I'm going to multi-thread the noise generation and the only part that'll be done on the main thread will be passing the arrays to the unity terrain.

I don't think I need to worry about the normals, unity should take care of it after flushing/updating the terrain.

Hm, would triplanar shading work with unity's terrain system? I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

The chunk size is 10x10 units, where the player itself is 1x1 unit.

I borrowed a curvature shader to see how it looks
hides the generation pretty well, I think that's enough for one day

Hum, that seems a bit high tbh.
You planning on only generating once?
If yeah, then I suppose you don't have to worry about it, but if you're generating chunks while moving I'd look into improving the gen time before you multithread.
As multithreading helps a lot, but I'd recommend trying to get it down to around 15-30ms before you do so.
Check pic attached, and for reference it's probably trivial to multithread at least 50-75% of it, but after that it becomes more difficult… in addition to it mostly only applicable to GPGPU algorithms or algorithms ran on servers with 12 different processors (i.e. equal to the amount of threads the CPU can execute at a time, w/o having to wait for the running threads to finish, basically entirely concurrent execution).
From my experience, with my old algorithm, it took execution time from around 15-24ms down to around 2-6ms per chunk (size 16^3 using 2D perlin noise) on 8 threads, but I generally did around 4-5 chunks per tick, so it ended up with around 8-16ms total (decided it was too slow, and changed methods).

Also, beware memory leaks when multithreading, the unity profiler doesn't exactly keep track of other threads… at all, so u don't see the impact except on the main thread when u do waithandles (in system threading, it's waiting for threads to finish before grabbing data, etc).
Also the GC is iffy on other threads, so use the IDisposable interface on the other threads just to be safe.

I'd just keep a note of it as it really makes a large difference in making things look quality.

As long as you can throw a material on it, and said material covers the entire terrain's mesh; yuppers.
Although, I think the unity terrain uses splatting if memory serves correctly; which can take nearly the same effect.

That actually looks a lot better from that angle
nice job

Do you also generate colliders atm?
In the future, remember that the terrain system has a handy heighmap based collider generation which is faster than the basic mesh collider baking at runtime.

Optimizations come later, when I actually have a functional world. It'll be easy, since it's extremely well programmed; I know this because I wrote it all myself. Just kidding. I once worked for an asshole who always talked like that

I use the terrain colliders already. There's a pretty good unity extension out there that helps with multithreading, but I forget its name. The code is basically written like a co-routine, but with an added function of switching to and from a background thread. If you try to access or call anything from the wrong thread, it'll throw an error instead of silently 'working'.

I think terrain splatting just handles drawing textures, but the UVs would still be fucked up.

woops, forgot the pic

Most definitely, but I was just giving u some notes for later, and my perspective.

ah, smart, I should look into that; especially if it uses worker threads

You're more than likely right, but I'm not sure tbh
I always forget about UVs as triplanar doesn't need em haha

Okay, I'm just going to fucking come out and say it, because I see this shit fucking everywhere.

When you set up camera movement to track a player STOP PUTTING MOVEMENT ACCELERATION TO SHIT! Fucking seriously, I see some of you fuckers do it every single god damn time.

no

Found a guide on how to make gunshot noises without a gun. Unfortunately mine don't come out nearly as realistic as this guys.

Also this dude apparently wrote a ton of stuff on ZZ tops eliminator album and got no credit for it.

I hit a road block on my 3d game and decided to take a break… by starting a new game, this time 2D. fuck my life

Also I'm going to vent

This time I'm working with a different person who, if he contributes literally anything to this project aside from ideas, will already be a better than the partner I have on the 3d game.

This person (for the 2d game) is designing and (allegedly) doing the art for the game, although I have yet to see any art or in-progress art in about 2 weeks. He feels like he has ownership of this project, and I'm hoping that's enough to actually result in him contributing something, which he has promised to do (but I'll believe it when I see it). As is tradition, I'm programming the thing (because I'm shit at everything else and all that this other guy has is a desire to program). Even if he turns out to be an Idea Guy in the end hopefully I will still have learned how to use some parts of Godot, so maybe in the future if some anons need help I can offer it.

But still, from my point of view at the moment this guy is just an idea guy. Maybe he's working on stuff like he has said and just hasn't shared, but the partner I had for the 3D game (who, as it stands right now, has been 'working' on one gun texture for 56 days) has spoiled any good will I have in other people who want to make games. I have the partner for the 3d game on steam, so I know exactly what he is doing all day.

Most of the work right now is making the movement feel right, which is something that is kind of hard to get across in a video or screen shot. Then again, all the art is placeholder so it's not like there's much to look at anyway. At least it's something.

What if I have an option to turn it off?

Drop him without saying anything and assume he's not your partner anymore unless out of nowhere he actually starts pulling real work out of his ass, and not just one or two finished models + textures.

Your post is why I will never let anyone work with my on my game ever unless they've proven they have what it takes to follow through. I don't care if it takes me 10 years to make it.

Anyone who wants to make a game that hasn't done anything remotely related before is 99% guaranteed to be completely fucking worthless. Nobody understands how much effort it takes to make a game, even for something simple as art or sound design. In fact, none of them even want to make a game. They THINK they want to make a game. In actuality it just sounds like something cool and fun to do, so they take the opportunity and then when push comes to shove they don't do shit.

Let me guess? He was working at a somewhat reasonable pace at first and then slowed down to a complete halt? If that's the case, then he got really hyped up about the idea at first and then as the hype went away he stopped giving a shit.

I actually made a robot with a wheel before going to bed and it felt fun, so I'm gonna polish that and show when I'm done

why? Show that you love Hitler loudly and proudly.

Why do I get these pink outlines around my tiles?

idk what program you're using, but I know valve uses pink as their error color because theres never anything that color. So it might be something like your texture isn't buffered correctly and you have blank space (the pink)

You prolly have texture smoothing turned on or something.

It is a pretty low level engine. Kind of like SFML or SDL. No idea where the lines are coming from.

Those aren't engines. Anyways, I'm assuming you're using something to wrap OpenGL or directX with. My guess is your texture isn't fitting the boundaries, or is offset.

That seems likely. How would you address this? Scale it differently? I noticed that when loading the texture without scaling it appears way bigger than it actually is.

I've implemented another weapon, an AR-15. I've been taking references from Project Reality when it comes to weapon placement to avoid taking up too much screen space, but it does seem that some of their weapons also take up a lot of space, like the AK-74 with scope that you get in the Russian team. I appear to have a similar problem here. The rear sight is quite a bit prominent.

Alright, thanks.

You should figure out what the actual boundries you have to fit the texture in are, then find your texture resolution to see if that's the problem. Then I guess you could scale it or something like that.

What engine?

Nigger what the fuck are you doing? Are you deliberately looking for the worst possible people to team up with?

Drop both of them right the fuck now, this is not a suggestion. If someone pretends to work on shit, but hasn't shown you any progress update in >week and doesn't have an excuse along the lines of "broke both of my wrists", he's going to be counterproductive towards YOUR game. The game where you do everything isn't theirs, it's not even partly theirs, it's yours.

Like said, there's way too many people who want to work on games because the thought of working on games is glamorous, but then stop immediately when they need to actually turn words into actions and start working. This is the same reason all imageboard group projects fail.

Say hello to my little friend!

Adorable. You don't see much squash and stretch animation in video games.

That thing came out pretty well. Reminds me a bit of ratchet and clank because it had mini entities like that.

WAKE UP AMATEUR MUSICFAGS

oh shit, this looks cute.

Pretty awesome, would play with it happily/10

UE4

Holy shit, I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out. No wonder it looks so nice.

That rear sight really is distracting, how about you dial the viewmodel back, so that you hide the rear sight and the the forearm, only see the front end and your left hand?

There is no viewmodel, what you see is what other players can see. I'm trying to do some realistic weapon placement.

What fov are you using?

Just an ide, but what if you would have three aiming modes
1. gun at rest point, you can toggle that with a button
2. what you just showed
3. aiming mode

I already had all of that planned, in fact. Your usual aiming down sights, this stance, plus a lowered weapon stance.

105° of horizontal FOV.

It's considered a cool effect and many tutorials on gamemaker show how to easily implement it.

Problem is it puts the focus on what's behind the player instead of in front. Cave story had the right idea, focus on a point in front of the player.

wasn't that the game from a 4chan agdg who initially wanted to make a momodora 3 ripoff quite a while ago?
Even after so much time rdein stays salty about this, and even despite the fact that this game continued in a different direction.

I was trying to implement a pause function. Looking at gamemaker tutorials, I found from Spalding's vids two video methods, one basically changes all speed=0 and other uses deactivate_all. The latter one removes all the sprites as well, so you got a blank screen. Activating them later actually resumes the game. Resuming in the former one is as simple as speed=whatevertheprevious, but would mean storing the previous values. I thought about the possibility of making a time, which always runs and can be controlled to make the game freeze or slow down or fast up. So I searched and found delta_time, which helps in running the game independent of framerate. I tested and found I can just change var_del=0 and all movements stop, like pause. But resuming still requires storing of previous values. At last I found literally the third video from the search that uses instance_deactivate, but creates a surface to take a snapshot of the view, and then activates.

At least I have framerate independence, what could be better way to pause and resume a game?

Where I can find sprite animators?

an if statement around the update functions

I'm not a sprite artist at all, but it's amazing what you can do with two public domain photographs and a little image editing.

Really nice anims. Good job.

I probably should have started with a 3D engine first.

Uhh, you wanna run that last bit by me again?

I dont know where else I could post this, but can any of you by chance give me the answer to this riddle or whatever it is?
scrap.tf/raffles/9SKGR6

Honestly the only thing i can think of is if the UV coord is mapped to the vertex and not index.

What would you call a skill that's basically cooking with liquids?

It's used primarily to make potions as if it's alchemy, but it can also make shit like chocolate milk and beverages. It treats eveything indiscriminately, for example you could make orange juice and then put it into a fermenter that's meant to make beer. Or you could put beer into a distillator as if you're making a potion.

Brewery?

Chemistry, bartending, mixology

While it's not limited exclusively to liquids, what you're describing, by definition, is chemistry.

Not gamedev and politely telling you to fuck off

I was trying to solve the puzzles, but I got stumped on this one.

Malchemy.

The fact that you have to log in to see what it is means that nobody's going to trust it, and that's not even taking into account that nobody here gives a fuck.

I like the sound of that, although isn't that primarily for making beer?

Chemistry sounds appropriate since you use a lot of that kind of equipment, but I think it describes only a part of the skill. Squeezing juice from a lemon to a drinking glass and adding sugar doesn't sound like chemistry.

Mixology sounds descriptive but it's kind of an awkward word.

Its for making brewages and beverages, it sounds the best.

Oh alright, here it is:
Really, you think you can solve this?
Easy you say? are you sure?
Difficult puzzles are my game.

Harder than you first imagined,
Even though the password is in plain sight!
Really though, this is difficult,
REALLY difficult, so stop trying.
It may be here, or maybe there.
Not up there? nor down there…
Give up! you can't solve it!

Complete coincidence, right?

I obviously tried that, but no, that aint the password.

Maybe it's case sensitive.

Green cod?

Did you try "in plain sight"?

Well, the red herring is obviously just that, a red herring. Is is "REALLY" maybe?

I did try those

Impossible, passwords are case sensitive and there must be an obvious clue

Here

No, I thought of those kind of solutions. I tried inspecting the place to see if a hidden link popped up too.

There are two lines which focus on the word difficult with emphasis.

How is this vidyadev related?

Think of it as debugging lite

I could be debugging my game.

The purpose is adding an extra line for "RED HERRING", which isnt the password anyways.

Apparently its some kind of word play, but I dont know what it could be.

any

You could be fapping to monster girls

Obviously, they needed two Rs, but that doesn't mean that lines can't serve more than one purpose.

They also said its the "oldest trick in the book"

OPENGL FAGS PLS HELP

What's the point to glDrawElements and IBO's? I just discovered that to use any form of texture mapping you have to copy your vertices's a shitload anyways basically nullifying the point to IBOs. Unless shading is thier main attraction.

Meh, forget it, wont derail the thread any more. Sage for that.

Why don't you give us all the information? How can we solve it if you don't tell us? Also, did you copy it directly, with no mistakes? Because the first letters that don't start out with capital letters spell out "any" which can't be a coincidence, so it must be the answer, a clue or another herring unless you fucked up.

I would, but that would just remind me that >>>/monster/ is farther along on their game than I am with mine. >>>/monster/158292

I really like the melody, but it sounds a bit…I don't know…"claustrophobic" and unclear? I really hate it that I'm not a musicfag because it means I can't put my criticism in words to help you guys out.
What I'm trying to say is that it sounds like it was recorded in a tight basement. Try having more separation between the instruments.
What I mean by "unclear" is that it sounds the same way all music sounds like after compressing it to death. There are no small details.
Sorry that I can't be of any more help.

Excellent.

No opengl fags. For shame. I found my answer anyways.

only experience i've had with it is MonoGame with openGL wrapping since my partner uses gnoo/lin-ucks nad the other option was directX
what language are you using?

How much of a learning curve am I looking at if I jump from Game Maker/GML to Unreal/C++?

Picture a brick wall.

I switched from Unity to Unreal and it's been a bit rough. Unreal is much more complex than Unity, which already is much more complex than Game Maker. Please bear in mind that I already knew C++.
C++ development is a pain in the ass in many ways, because it's close enough to the hardware that you can easily fuck up. I crash the editor a couple times each day. Not a big deal, but still something I didn't have to deal with while using Unity. The API is a lot more complicated too. It's not all bad though. You can use Blueprints (visual scripting) to make entire games without touching C++. Ideally you use both in conjunction, as only a madman would do everything in C++.

Switching to Unreal is a good idea, but you should not expect to be able to just pick it up. It'll take some weeks before you will feel comfortable using it. However, once you get there, the possibilities for you will be near endless. Unreal is a damn good engine. It might be the last engine you're ever going to learn.

Oh, and I hope you have an SSD.

I manage to crash the editor at least once a day using Unity. It's a piece of shit.

Writefags help?

What kind of interesting things/subjects can you give for a "good" religion? What are their motivations, what do they believe in? They're mostly passive religions that inhabit a more or less peaceful world in various ways.

The evil religion believes in the "destruction of the old so the new can raise in it's place". They basically hate anything that's old, and like anything that's new. One of their major cities has a yearly(?) ritual where they burn the entire village, and then rebuild it the next year on top of the ashes.
There was a great calamity in the past that left majority of the world in ruins and inhabitable, and they believe that it was preparation for a new world but was unfinished because some parts of the world were left intact.

The good religion…. collects information, and think that acts of kindness will eventually come back to you worth twice your act. They also run a lot of hospitals and health care stuff.
They believe that the calamity was a divine punishment for people's sins.

I don't like the good religion at all, and I can't come up with anything interesting for them. I don't want them to be templar-like crusaders because I want them to be the contrasting peace and stability to the "evil" religion's destruction. I also want neither be 100% likeable or 100% hateable, for example the evil folks are often hired for demolition purposes, and they will happily take those jobs peacefully. I don't have any way to summarize them either, it's like I'm missing some central idea of what they're all about.

The ideal candidates would be available from 7PM PST to 2AM PST on a ongoing and random basis.

the ideal candidates want cancer

is the 'vr experience' thing just a marketing ploy that people are falling for?

I don't see how the evil one is supposed to be evil. Crazy? Yes. Evil? I don't know. The easiest way out of your dilemma would be to have the "good" one be the opposite of the evil one. They believe in preserving the past and as such are directly opposed to them. It's an easy way to make both of them be part of a moral grey area, where neither is 100% good or evil. As their goals are mutually exclusive, conflicts will be unavoidable.
It's rather uncreative though. But then again, so is the whole "good vs. evil" thing.
Explaining that with the lore is easy too: Make one religion a splinter group of the other.

Why not make the good religion the true religion, and the other religions just lies or exaggerations? It would definitely be distinct, since every fantasy world I've seen has just been "it's all grey and relative hurr durr" Don't even need to rub it in or make it the main focus, just have it in the background to contextualize the actions of the good characters and evil ones.

I want to cum inside Anais

Just throw a bunch of Zen shit in there, it's hard not to like super chill monk dudes who help others. Also lets them clash with the evil religion since their ethos requires that life be preserved always, whereas the evil dudes might think of individual lives as expendable.

Neither the cycles of life and death, nor the act of preservation, are inherently good or evil. They simply are.
Do they also hate their elders?
What kind of setting is this? Yearly would be borderline impossible in any normal medieval fantasy town. There's too much shit to do to add building a town onto it. Hell, that'd be extremely difficult today. They would have to prepare for it years ahead of time to gather enough food to survive it. Unless there's a benefit I'm not seeing, being part of an entropy religion would suck ass.
How about, as a contrast to the Entropites, the "good" religion seeks knowledge to improve the human life, especially life expectancy, believing that, while human life must eventually end, the longer a soul lives, the more noble and pure it can become, thereby improving the lives of those around it? They've come to believe that longevity is directly related to how good of a person could potentially become through whatever their rituals/rites are. Ultimately, the goal is to remove sin from humanity as a whole.

Perhaps women might start bearing children at later and later ages, believing it helps.There could be some intrigue about a sect which has sought eternal life, and therefore ultimate purity, but are seen as an abomination to the others, believing that the human life must eventually end for the stability of the greater human race, and that eternal life belongs only to their deity, whom they believe designed the purification process as is.

I don't know, I'm just spit-balling.

it seems very basic good and evil
the "good" religion should have a couple skeletons in their basements, maybe something the "bad" religion desperately want to get in their own hands to achieve their goal, which the protagonist only learns about later and is put into a heavy conflict for having been "used" and lied to or something
as you said, nobody is such a perfect being, nobody can relate to that at all
just as there might be people in the "bad" religion who genuinely care and believe they are going to save the world and its people by what they want to achieve
such an ingrained belief that they might also be "used" by someone behind the curtains

It's not hard to extrapolate from this idea further. If this were the case, being physically fit would be seen as either a moral obligation, or something that great holy men and women do, putting in countless devoted hours to ensure that they live longer, and thereby maintain their soul. This would be "evidenced" by, aside from living longer lives, their strength of soul, being more spry in their later years, contrasted with the weak-souled, (tired and dyel-mode) elderly.

If the idea that later childbirths to purer women led to purer children, then there would no doubt spawn the belief that chastity until marriage was a must, because if you don't, you don't just get a child early and out of wedlock, you get an impure child. One difficult to make pure, prone to evil deeds and violence, and unlikely to find a religiously devout suitor. If that's the case, they could be either mistreated or kept at a distance by their society, ultimately making their branding to a self-fulfilling prophecy for them.

They're indifferent towards destruction and generally are in support of it as long as the thing being destroyed is old. One of the good vs evil conflicts are old ruins, because the good want to gain information from it, while the evil have an overwhelming hatred towards something so old that is still standing.

I like the idea of preserving the past, I was kinda doing something like that already without directly thinking of it. Maybe some kind of idea of growing from the pedestal built by the past, rather than replacing it.

None of the religions are "right". I'd have to go more into the lore to explain it. But basically the world was born after it was destroyed once. The religions just have their own beliefs for what happened in the past and hold different values.

I said "three" religions didn't I. The third religion is the "zen" religion. They believe that the gods left the world for the people, and now they're in charge of keeping the world and nature in balance.
They believe the calamity was caused by a great imbalance in the world, and could happen again if the world goes too much out of balance.

I'm fairly happy with the concepts relating to those guys, they're sort of separate from the conflicts of "good vs evil", and don't have an organized city of any kind.

Kind of. Basically the older you get, the less respect you get, and the less value the old hold in themselves. They often volunteer for the most dangerous jobs, and consider it a service to the religion in a way if they die.

I haven't thought about the time frame realistically yet, I was also considering once per 10 years because it would also give more significance to the event. All the buildings are made of wood and relatively simple.

I do like the idea of them valuing the old. As if it's an ever-expanding process where old information serves as a support for the future. That's compatible with my idea that they want to collect information.

But I also want there to be a negative to their religion, and this sounds almost too good.

All the religions believe in the same deities (which are more of a race like angels rather than a single entity like god), but they have different beliefs in regards to them.

I don't necessarily want the good religion to do bad things secretly. I'd like them to have some belief or something that can be viewed as unlikeable, but not as "gee what a bunch of losers" kind of unlikeable.

For example while brainstorming I had an idea that they hate loud and rash behavior because of how peaceful they are. But that seems like a really lame and forced trait to give them.

it doesn't have to be bad, I was more thinking of a secret that could have severe consequences if the other side knew of it, or worse, made use of it
iunno, maybe a sacred artifact left behind by the "angels" as you described them, but at the same time so does the "bad" religion, which if found out would cause outcry to destroy it and create infighting or something

I could imagine them having a time during the day where they do not speak at all, like meditating or lent, only with not using your voice instead of not eating food
that'd give them a reason to dislike loud and rash behavior

image not related

Has anyone here tried making their own RTS? How did it go?

If you want to give the longevity cult unlikeable traits, you might consider two options.
The first is to simply impose a class system based on age, where the older a person is the more privileges and freedom they get. From this, you might explore other options, such as the elders being given a little too much freedom in some respects Just throw in kiddy fuckers alright, but I'm guessing you'll want to avoid having the younger citizens be openly persecuted for being literally underage.
Second, you might choose to have the longevity cult's influence on society be represented in the form of very strict and regimented culture. The most obvious form of this culture would be in the form of their cities; large, imposing walls separating districts and restricting access based on age.
But really, the easiest way is just to shove in kiddy fuckers

In this way, an individual could be seen as a vessel for knowledge and wisdom. Learning itself could be seen as a religious good for them.
It logically follows that the lower strata of the society, the unlearned, the sick, the weak, and to some extent, the poor, would be looked down upon, in a much harsher manner than they are in real life. They could believe that just by existing, they drag the collective soul of humanity to a less pure place, impeding progress. The most similar real-world religion to this one is probably Christianity, but in Christianity, a soul has an inherent, intrinsic value simply by being a human soul, and therefore, Christians are taught to love and protect the weak when they cannot do so themselves. But if a soul has no inherent value, and it's all a vague, subjective progress "upward" then it stands to reason that there would be no reason to associate with anyone "lesser" than yourself, lest you too become impure.

This might sound too much like a commentary on classism or something, but whatever.

Or just have the camera stay at your position at all times and move at the same speed. The problem with that game is the player has long since stopped but the camera is still trying to keep up, so it still feels like you are moving. That and it looks ugly as shit when it starts doing that one pixel jitter.

Here's a nice google doc about camera positioning and movement.

docs.google.com/document/d/1iNSQIyNpVGHeak6isbP6AHdHD50gs8MNXF1GCf08efg/pub?embedded=true

Yeah I like this idea a lot. I want their core belief to be more generalized rather than focus on people specifically though.

That said, I'm not against the idea of their beliefs focusing specifically towards people. Like if their whole belief is based on holding life as sacred. On the other hand that doesn't create as interesting of a conflict towards the evil, as the idea of preserving knowledge does.

There's ancient artifacts and ruins everywhere, although I do have one particular artifact planned that is believed to hold limitless energy. It's supposed to be part of the in-game story somehow but I don't have the specifics at this time.

That's not a bad idea at all. I'm not sure how it would integrate into the game in any interesting way though.

Nah I don't want the good religion to discriminate towards any particular kind of citizen, that doesn't sound like the religion I'm going for. And as mentioned above I don't want the religion to strongly focus on people specifically.

Yes I really like this. The more knowledge you have and bring, the more value you have as a person. And generally the more helpful information something has, the more valuable it is.

There could be a good concept in that, but it's a little in conflict with the idea that they want to help other people. They'd be devaluing those people's future rather than helping them grow. They could definitely look down upon the uneducated, because that's basically directly at the other end of valuing knowledge. Maybe they could also have a distaste towards "fun" in a sense, because it's a waste of time. You should be learning and improving rather than jumping in a puddle.

Yes, the idea was that they're interested in helping people, but really, the way it ultimately plays out, they become more interested in helping the whole, not individuals. If a few impure got lost in the shuffle, that's a shame, but we've done the most righteous thing we can do.
As the idea is now, you'd see a hilarious cycle of converts, with the young favoring the chaotic, and the old favoring the lawful. The good side is no doubt "losing its children to evil." Of course, there'd be outliers, depending on their existing social standing, regardless of age.

Viewing life as sacred and conserving things instead of replacing them would cause them to attempt to gain immortality or at least life prolonging measures.

That does sound funny. Although the idea of one being for x people and the other being for y people isn't something I want at all, I didn't consider that.

The evil religion having a distaste towards the old was a non-important side effect of their core belief, and I don't necessarily want to mirror that with the good religion. I'll have to think about that. My thought process is that I don't want to exclude anyone from either religion, I want them to focus primarily on ideas and beliefs.

I might also make it so the evil religion is okay with anyone who lives a life of "normal" length, but they start to look down upon anyone who gets particularly old.

That's also a very good idea that honestly never even crossed my mind. The idea of immortality would also be something that the evil religion would be absolutely outraged with.

Something happened to my quote

Fuck, it's so obvious. I even touched on the idea back here, but didn't think to apply the outrage to the other religion, rather than themselves.

Immortality does sound like something that the good religion would be against, but this isn't like Christianity after all. Plus immortality is dubious in whether it's a good thing or not, so it also works towards giving the good religion a downside.

I've seen a few.

I tried once out of programming related curiosity, but I didn't have any ideas for the actual game so I dropped it.

Trying to learn how to work with blender,so far all i got are 2 shitty looking teacups and this tower thing. Holy shit is blender frustrating.

That's why I decided to just keep using Maya, most Autodesk 3D modeling programs operate in a similar way, but Blender just doesn't make sense for me.

I like blender. The only problem is it exports shit with right handed coordinates instead of left.

I want to do a little adventure/rpg game, does this look too terrible to work on?

interesting art. but eye searing. and mixed perspective.

Pretty much this. I enjoy the neon-like outline, but it's messy.

The ground and grass are tearing my eyes apart, but if you fix that it's kinda cute.

It was 100% fucking spot on and told me exactly what to do with a simple algorithm source code in C++. I've never had this happen before.

You could either make the grass and ground textures darker or simpler so it can blend with the background. Try to use high contrast for things you want the player to pay attention, like characters or key items, making the background darker will make your eye concentrate in it after looking at the bright elements.

Overall it looks OK, just make the perspective more consistent like said. Cheers!

thanks for the feedback guys, I was thinking on how to fix it.

I was trying something like that, I am glad that it was the right answer. Thank you.

flopping hair, flopping tits. Soon flopping skirt.

Could use some improvement but I want to move on and do some gameplay. We've been creating and recreating this character's 3D model for months and don't want to be continually redoing stuff.

fugg i'm at loss with godot
how the hell do i write up a movement script in 3d

In that case, you either have to choose between having a suicidal culture or a culture that makes no sense.
If a culture insists on kindness, then you will end up seeing less kind cultures migrating and conquering it. Kindness is its weakness, and the only way a kind culture can survive is by occasionally defending itself, deus vult style.

The other alternative is to make kindness more of a formality that is expected from everyone, whilst the actual culture is very authoritarian, heavily punishing people who step out of line. Of course, this is not an actual kind culture, and collecting information generally doesn't go well with authoritarian behavior due to people not getting caught for corrupt practices.

Also getting a central idea for a "kindness" culture is pretty much impossible, since those cultures are just based on knee-jerk sympathy emotional reactions. There is no logical idea behind that culture.

So I saw that thread about that RPG and I was wondering, how would I go about making an RPG parody while still retaining gameplay?

Sup, this questions probably been asked a million times but I'm looking for a 2D game engine. Preferably C++ but I can deal with other languages.

Honestly the main reason that looks awkward is because the character animation is jutting around unnaturally when the animation stops.

There was a guy called Kyron something something, that was developing a remake of SS13, called Galactic Space Station 13. He had developed quite a bit of the features included in SS13, but I haven't heard from that guy in quite a while, I remember hearing some bad shit about him in the previously Holla Forums Mumble. He used to post progress in the /agdg/ board.

You know, there is built in animation interpolation in UE4. The animation doesn't have to snap from jogging to idle instantly, they can be blended. I can't remember how it was enabled, but it shouldn't take you more than half an hour to figure it out.

What kind of separate ways can a program be optimized? I can only think of 2.

1. Reducing the frequency at which the program has to work, for example instead of updating a timer every tick, only update it when the player checks it by comparing the last updated time to current time and timer speed. Similarly off-screen things usually don't need to be updated as much.

2. Making algorithms and functions faster, so it takes shorter time to execute. This is a bit harder because there's no easy way to tell which calculations and checks are easier for the computer to do, things that are longer aren't necessarily slower.

Multithreading, cache optimisation, manual SSE/SIMD. Your second method is overgeneralised as all these things make functions faster, but they are completely different methods.
Profiling, nigga. That and common sense with a bit of CPU knowledge. For instance knowing to take a Sqrt() out of a function called very often per second if the value isn't excessively large at any point (which would cause overflow). You learned how to do that in high school math class, probably wondered what it was good for.

I meant specifically making the algorithm faster to calculate by giving the program less to calculate. For example, multithreading doesn't necessarily change the algorithm, just how you're giving it to the computer.

I guess that's actually one form of optimization; giving the program to the computer in a way that it can complete it faster. Including moving things to the GPU.

I don't think "a bit of CPU knowledge" is as prevalent as you think. And even if you know which part is slow, you don't necessarily know how to replace it with a faster one without trial and error to see what works faster.

1. The fastest code is the code that doesn't run. See if you can simplify things that allow you to calculate something once, and then re-use the result every frame.
2. Make sure you keep your data small and local. Data locality will reduce the amount of cache misses, which are pretty much the bottleneck in modern processors.
3. Actually write code in such a way it uses the processors features. In the modern day and age(tm), your average processor does not run one calculation in one instruction in one cycle. Instead you have multiple cores each performing their own instruction every cycle, and on top of that each instruction can actually perform multiple calculations at once.
4. Avoid unnecessary blocking. You should only block a thread if the thread has no work left to do. If you block when you shouldn't, then you're literally tossing away cycles. For example, if you want a tick of game logic every 1/60s, then between those ticks you shouldn't just sleep. You should be blocking against waiting for player inputs (& net traffic), so that you can already start working on those before the next tick starts.
4.5. Atomics are standardized in many languages now. If your communication between threads causes blocking, you should have a very good reason to do so. Otherwise: Lockless communication is the way to go.

And if you really want to upscale your shit: See if you can shard your game into multiple instances and run them on separate processors. But unless you're making an MMO, you should probably never bother with this.

Funny you should say that. While I'm not working or planning to work on a MMO, I think about them in the context of optimization. It kinda forces me to think of the features at their absolute minimum, you can't optimize it "too much".

In singleplayer games nobody really cares if the game doesn't run super perfectly, but a MMO can easily fall apart and ruin the game for thousands of players if it's slow, and it needs to be able to simulate tens/hundreds of thousands of things in the first place which is rare for single player.

It makes me very curious about the ways MMOs are able to work in the first place, but I suppose the larger ones do utilize multiple processors and servers, even for a single instance of the game world.

what is vm?

vidya modding. >>>/vm/

It's way more complicated than that, unless you think of "ways that a program can be optimized" on a too high level and generalize to the point of meaninglessness.

This is by far the biggest factor. To get a feeling for how much they impact performance: Better algorithms make the impossible possible and that is not an exaggeration in the slightest. If it wasn't for Dijkstra's algorithm, you wouldn't have things like route planning in navigation systems or dynamic pathfinding in games. It would simply be impossible unless you worked with very small maps. I have some specific numbers for a different problem from my professor in theoretical computer science.
The travelling salesman problem: You have to visit x locations. Which route/order is the best?
Let's assume 57 locations. Sounds simple, right?
When you start, you have 57 different locations, if you chose one, you have 56 left, and so on. This means you have 57*56*55*…*2*1 different possibilities (also known as 57!). That gives you 7.1 * 10^74 different possibilities. In case you're not familiar with scientific notation:
That's 710.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 different possibilities.
If you had the 500 fastest super computers in the world (check top500.org) and could try one entire route with a single flop (which is ridiculous, but let's just run with it), how long would it take?
In November 2013, the 500 fastest super computers in the world had a combined computing capacity of a whopping 250 petaflops/second. So how long would it take with all this power at your disposal?
7.1*10^75 / 250*10^15 seconds
How much?
9.10^49 or 90.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 Years.
If computers got a million times faster? Scratch six zeros. If your implementation would get a million times faster? Scratch six more. You should see how this won't get you anywhere.
Yet, he had a shitty laptop that could give us a route in about a second. Nobody will be able to tell you if it's the best route there is, but you can mathematically prove that it's a damn good one. That's how much of a difference it makes. It's literally making the impossible possible.
Better algorithms -> theoretical computer science.

All following other optimization techniques make such a little difference in comparison to getting better algorithms, that I'm not ordering them by how good they are.

Some problems (not all of them) can be solved in parallel. You have multi-core CPUs that can do many things at once and GPUs that can do even more things at once than them. At best, you will multiply the performance by the amount of threads you run it in. In reality, there will be some overhead and not every problem is suited that good for concurrency, but at best, running it with two cores as opposed to one, will double performance.
Aside from the fact that not every problem can be parallelized in the first place, you can really fuck this part up with your software architecture/code design. It's where OOD (object oriented design) can absolutely kill you. If you follow industries best practices™, you will design your code around a model of the world. This leads to poor concurrency (can't parallelize it easily) and poor performance in general. The proper way to design efficient code started being called DOD (data oriented design) some time ago. It's what you can find in the AAA industry. Defenders of OOD will tell you that OOD is so easy to understand and fast to develop, but so is DOD. It's not some obfuscated bullshit, but just looking at the same problem from a different angle. When I get to the chapter on dictionaries in my /agdg/ guide, I will show a practical example of it. The OOD dictionary (a set of key/value-pairs, because keys and values "belong together") is much less efficient than the DOD way, which isn't even complicated in the slightest.
It does require you to know a thing or two about how computers work though. That might turn out to be a problem though.

It's easy to write code that is slow, because the CPU isn't actually doing anything. The reason for this is that, while CPUs got really fucking fast over the last years, memory did not. If your code is slow, it's entirely possible that it's not slow due to the CPU having to do a lot of work, but because it's being stalled by the memory. You know that often used optimization that you can get away with using the squared distance of a vector? Then you save yourself calculating the square root of it, which is a supposedly slow operation. The last numbers I heard is that a square root takes up about ~30 cycles (which is slow). However, fetching data from RAM takes about 200. If you're not careful, your CPU will spend more time waiting for the data to work with, than doing the actual work. That's also something that DOD seeks to avoid.
A nice example are random chance systems. Say you want to randomly spawn something. Rather than checking if it's supposed to spawn on each frame (usual answer will be 'no', thus wasting CPU cycles), why not calculate when the next one is going to spawn and defer the whole process? Every well written engine has some form of command-queue or timer functionality you can use for that.

For me as a CS student that's super obvious, but many amateur programmers simply don't know how important this is (see: scripting section in the Unity forums). It's a factor that is closely related to developing better algorithms, as specialized algorithms often need specialized data structures to work. But even if we don't go that far, you should know when to use an array, when to use a linked list and when to use a hashset. It's not complicated, but it makes a huge difference (hence me writing a guide for all the novice /agdg/ anons).

There is a lot more, but it all boils down to the specific problems you're dealing with.

I think you're thinking this too hard.

You're never ever going to use an algorithm in your game that takes 9.10^49 years to complete, so it's not even a question of "optimization" yet, it's the question of finding A solution that works in the first place.

Imagine your game has grass that grows over time. Every single patch of grass in the game grows slowly as time goes by, and it can be reset by cutting the grass. Now imagine the world is the size of World of Warcraft. There's no way you can simulate every piece of grass in the world, therefore the only way you can make this viable is to optimize it by putting any patch of grass outside player radius into stasis, only run the simulation when the player is nearby, and catch up to current time when a patch of grass is loaded. But that has nothing to do with algorithms or program speeds, it's all in the way you handle information.

This kind of problem from my experience is significantly more common than a slow algorithm. I also don't know how to differentiate or subcategorize it in any other way, so calling it "meaningless" comes off as a bit strange to me.

The travelling salesman problem is O(n!) which is crazy and (thank god) relatively rare in games. However, you're still dealing with hard problems everywhere. AI pathfinding? Collision detection? Visibility checks? All of these are problems that wouldn't work, if you just did it the naïve way.
You have a grid based inventory and you want a feature that automatically fills it with items from a container, so that you get the most value? Sounds easy, but quickly becomes impossible like the travelling sales man problem does.

What you mean is true and what I meant with my last sentence: It depends on the specific situation you're dealing with in your game. What I refer to by "meaningless" is that it's meaningless in comparison. If you choose the wrong algorithms at the beginning, your specific implementation will not matter.

Your example with the growing grass isn't even a difficult problem in and of itself. That one really just boils down to how you store the data (data structure) and only displaying it where you need it (culling/LOD). If your grass grows at the same rate everywhere, you totally can update the entire world at once, because you can represent it using nothing but a bitmap and, if you want to, a single floating point number as offset.

How the fuck are you suppose to advertise your game besides shilling on here/any relevant boards and going through steam? SJWs took over every showcase, journalist outlet and award.

You could, God forbid follow Yandere-dev's example. He made a game which got mostly advertised through Youtube. It does look like a good platform for doing that. If you appeal to the youtubers' taste, you could end up with free fucking advertising right there.

…of course, that would require making a meme game, something which many of us don't really want to do. In that case, I would still recommend you to have a YT channel and start uploading videos, as well as advertising yourself on Tumblr. Many 2D artists advertise themselves there successfully, and there are quite a few game devs. There are /agdg/ devs as well, like me or Tetrachrome-dev.

I think if your game is good, it'll become popular as long as you bring it out there and aren't just sitting in imageboards. Unless you're unlucky, which is another factor; just plain luck.

It's also important to present it in a way that the viewer/visitor "gets it" quickly. I can't count the amount of times I visited some unpopular game's website or even watched a trailer and had no clue what the game was all about.

That should be just about it. In short: Be active, engage with communities.

You could always contact youtubers who are actually decent/good people with good taste in games. Of course they have smaller audiences, but that's still more than great when you're starting out.

I really have fucked up weapon placement now. Apart from that, I've implemented attachments when holding weapons and when dropping them. Implemented that a few days ago, needed some polish. Still needs more.

I made it possible to mix tile types in levels, so here's a level I made testing that and experimenting with gameplay in general.

This level sucks and is not very fun. I think it's mainly the single-tile wide platforms that force the player to slow down that make the level suck. I will scrap this and try to make levels with wider areas from now on.

I also need to do something about the background and maybe add useless decorations like trees and statues for decoration.

Is there a better album to dev too?

The answer is no.

Can someone help me out with Godot? so I have an enemy thats a kinematic body with a collision shape to see if it gets attacked.

But I also want the enemy to know if the player gets within a certain distance of it. How would I do this?

CPU don't just use multiple processors but every modern processor uses pipelining to improve performance honestly unless you are doing some serious shit or working in assembly you don't really need to worry about this.
a simple profiling program will tell you all you need to know about how your processor processes.

Anyone here done any manual memory management in UE4 or added in third party libraries that did their own memory management? I'm getting errors but not sure what's causing it. Moved all the memory management to use the same function calls that unreal uses and it still has issues.

I've been looking for some new music to listen to
and this is honestly incredible thank you for posting this

To describe the problem a little better. I have 2 actors ticking twice per second. Each actor successfully allocates the memory as required, and if I quit the game before they reach about 6-10 ticks each, the game will successfully dealloc all of their memory. If I leave it going for longer, and quit, it won't even call to dealloc their memory because of an (access violation error, c0000005). Anyone know why this would be?

Pretty cool fam. I second what the other user said about it sounding too compressed, though.

But isn't it just a generalized case of edge-node traversal? That's really common for pathfinding.

What makes the traveling salesman problem so bad is that you need to visit all those nodes, some potentially more than once. What you're generally dealing with in games is that you have a goal. Algorithms like Dijkstra's algorithm and A* work by reducing the amount of nodes you look at. For that to work they use a closed list (a list of all the nodes you already visited) in conjunction with a state evaluation function and, in the case of A*, a heuristic. You can't do either of that with the traveling salesman problem. Firstly you can and possibly have to visit the same node more than once. Without a closed list, you're not doing graph search anymore, but a tree search. Those search trees in the AI have infinite depth, which is a problem.
Secondly, there is no heuristic that allows you to find the optimal way for all the nodes. If you want the best route, you have to try all of them out. This means running A* (or whatever you are using) n! times.

Godot confirmed greatest engine

Drew this guy again, think I need to redo his model. I made it months ago when I didn't know anything about topology, texture painting, or reflection mapping.

I think your hip topology might be off.

libGDX had a similar problem when loading textures, but not with pink outlines. Basically, sometimes you could see seams between tiles, depending on the position of the camera.

I am not sure if your problem is related, but try out sampling the tile texture from slightly more inside the actual texture. What I mean by this is, if your TextureRegion (or whatever you are using) right now grabs from 0 to 0.5 for your grass tile texture, make it grab from 0.00001 to 0.499999 or something like that.

The better you get at modelling the more you'll realize how much better you can redo something. I've redone the main character model for my game three times already.

Who's this groovin dude?

Anyone?

Try Monogame. It uses C++ and C# if I remember right

Posting some screenshots, this time they are from the mine area. I hope that it looks ok this time. (btw the green dude is doing push ups, he is going to be animated later)

Just logged on Humble Bundle and saw that i still have this…

Wat do?

Welp… Guess i'm just gonna have to accept the truth about Game Maker.

Fire and Brimstone preacher who happens to be made bodily kazoo. Teaches the player how to use music as a weapon (rhythm based attacks). General mentor character.

Well, you could add some small details to make things pop (Like putting some light on the characters and the objects, I forgot to put light in the pick and shovel) and make the characters more saturated and bright than the colors of the background. Another thing you can add is things like the tracks that go trough the cave with darker colors to denote a bit of depth. Those small details can help make the simple style you're using more interesting to look at.

I really like your suggestions, thank you for your help. the only thing that I'm a little unsure is about the light, just because I'm trying to not use color filled shapes.

Hey /agdg/ im kinda just ideafagging right now and wanted to run an idea by you. A game Ive seen a lot of people wanting is a 40k imperial guard game. For obvious reasons I cant make said game due to copyright but I figure a knockoff game would do just fine. Itd basically be a third person PVE shooter with similar gameplay to starwars battlefront 2 but you fight various space horrors with your comrades in defense of humanity.

I have been spending a lot of time learning how to 3d model and Im pretty good at music and sound stuff but im a shit programmer. Would a game like this be possible in one of the free engines and if so which one would be most feasible to use? The only games ive made so far is pacman and breakout clones in unity that were shit but worked.

As long as the sprite isn't neon green or something, the light will be visible if you make the outline white.

Follow up question. Would people hate it if it had cartoonish graphics? Im still not great at 3d modelling but want to start making assets for it.

Do you have an idea of the game's mechanics (aside from the genre) and how you'd implement them?

Glad to help. About the light, you could use just the outline of the circle. You can even make the outline of the characters the light of the color instead of adding the light itself in the characters (Like did).
Whatever looks the best for the whole style you're going for it's all up to you.

Unity and UE aren't necessarily limited in what they can do if you know what you're doing.

Depends. Are we talking cartoonish or memepoly?

I haven't done any gamedev in a month now.
I just don't feel it. Any free time I have now feels like it could be spent doing anything else, rather than chasing a project that would never happen. I don't even think creatively half the time anymore.

Am I in a slog or am I done?

I was wanting to have it play very similarly to battlefront 2 but emphasized lethality. I also want permadeath on a server basis so that if a group of players start a match against the ai they only get one life. They can then watch as the rest of the players attempt to survive or they can go to another server from the lobby and try again.

Honestly the stuff ive been making as test samples looks memepoly based on that image and im not really to happy with my work. What is a good example of good cartoonish 3d stuff that I can attempt to emulate? I dont really have a clear idea yet of the aesthetic I want and am open to suggestions as long as I can actually pull them off.

Also ill probably just stick to unity then since Ive worked in it a bit already.

Back to game mechanics would a one life system not be fun? Ive also toyed with the idea of players respawning upon completed objectives as reinforcements.

Idk im still just in ideaman stage but wanted to know what people thought of it as a concept.

I probably should have made the idea more cohesive before asking about it.

Do you want to do it?

Why is this? Is it because you don't care anymore, or because you don't believe you can make it?

People tend not to like memepoly style (me included), I think because it tends to come off as pretentious, and because every game with that style looks the same.

When I think of "cartoony" I think of games like Mario and Spyro. If you like these solid shapes, I think Wind Waker is the better way to do it.

I don't want to tell you what to do though. Polygon graphics are like pixel art, it's easy to do and probably looks at least passable even if you aren't an artist.

I have the technical knowledge, but I've scaled down so much and I still can't even finish a damn thing. I'm stuck in enginedev mode where if something can be modularized or made more efficient, that's where my work goes.

I mean I guess I still want to, but I have nothing to show for 8 years of casual devving, meanwhile Hipster McAsshole shits out 400 pixel meme games on a gamejam weekend and I die inside

Wind waker is pretty great looking. My biggest worry is maintaining a consistent style throughout all of my designs because im definitely not a good artist. If my game looked half as good as that though id be happy with it. Ill probably be back with some designs when I get around to em and ill bring em here for critique. Are there any good tutorials for making smooth looking models like these? I use blender cause its free and im poor.

Do you know about timed hits, user?

I've been playing around with incorporating them into my project. Right now, correctly executing the command doubles damage dealt or halves damage taken. I'll probably vary it up a bit when I do more work with player stats.

The best game I can think of with timed hits is gladius which was a pretty good game. I like if overall as a mechanic.

I think you need to get to the finished game stage before you can start "shitting out" games, because then you can start reusing and modifying features instead of being lost in a mist with nothing and no experience. And even then you can only shit out games that are internally similar to the one you finished, depending how flexible or generalized your program is.

Engine dev is hard because if you go to that path in the first place, then you probably care a lot more about the mechanics than Hipster McAsshole, who might just want to put out a game rather than make something really great. It'll bother you and make you feel uncomfortable if you know you could be doing X better, but McAsshole doesn't care if it's a completely ass backwards hardcoded mess and impossible to improve or expand upon and using their libraries completely wrong as long as it works.

I actually personally sometimes get burnt out in a way that I subconsciously give up. I'll get back to it after some days/weeks/months, but during that time it's hard to even imagine going back because it seems like I'll never be able to do anything worthwhile, I'll find more success in something else. Maybe you're experiencing something like that.
In that case I can't help you, because that feeling is the bane of my existence. I'm very passionate about creating things though, I can't imagine living for anything else. I just switch between art/dev/music/writing when I get burnt out of one of them. I believe that if I finished one game in a way that I'm happy with, I could make a lot more games because I would be familiar with every mechanic required for a game.

I think Wind Waker's style is a lot in the textures. They're very minimal and sometimes nonexistent. For example Link seems to have almost no textures at all, just solid colors. The wood is made of flat shapes and has only 4 different colors with subtle gradients (dark shadow in the cracks and seams, red wood, lighter wood swirly patterns, and some very light at the edges).

Lots off offscreen jumps. Should work on dealing with that.

Guess I just gotta go out and shill as much as I can. One plan I had was releasing an alpha demo to showcase what I have. Although I worry there will be too big of a gap between that coming out and the game being released since I'm doing it all on my own.

Anyone? I'm about ready to kill myself.

Ill keep that in mind when Im working on my models. I havent really taken the time to learn texturing yet but if its just using solid colors Im sure I can manage that. Thanks for the tips user, ill be back when I have some progress to show

tempting

Does the access violation happen the moment you quit, or before that? It sounds to me like you're doing something wrong in your tick function causing the actor's memory to get fucked up somehow.

I fucking hate videogames

Cool. Why don't you tell us the problem, the solution, and the name of the book?

what the fuck am i doing wrong
when i try to load, it gives me the error "InvalidCastException: cannot cast from source type to destination type"
public static List variables = new List(); public static void Save() { SaveFile temp = new SaveFile();//SaveFile.CreateInstance(); temp.name = System.DateTime.Now.ToString("hh mm ss MM dd yyyy") + ".sav"; Debug.LogError(temp.name); string dir = Application.dataPath + "/Savefiles/"; if (!Directory.Exists(dir)) { Directory.CreateDirectory(dir); } for (int i = 0; i < variables.Count; i++) { temp.variables.Add(variables[i]); } BinaryFormatter bf = new BinaryFormatter(); FileStream file = File.Create(dir + temp.name); bf.Serialize(file, dir + temp.name); file.Close(); //DestroyImmediate(temp); } public static void Load(string dir) { BinaryFormatter bf = new BinaryFormatter(); FileStream file = File.Open(Application.dataPath + "/SaveFiles/" + dir + ".sav", FileMode.Open); Debug.LogError(file.Name); SaveFile temp = (SaveFile)bf.Deserialize(file); Debug.LogError(temp.variables.Count); file.Close(); } [System.Serializable] public class SaveFile { public string name; public List variables = new List(); public List characters = new List(); public class Character { public Vector3 position; public Quaternion rotation; } }
i'm looking at older projects and it seems like i'm doing the same shit there, but it worked before

I was indexing vertices in OpenGL and didn't know if the texture coordinates where linked to the index or the vertex, and google was giving me a bunch of examples that where ambiguous and just tutorials on how to do a texture on a plane which didn't matter because there where no repeating vertices's to help out with.

So I decided it fuck it, I checked my OpenGL Super Bible and OpenGL Insights book. And in OpenGL Insights there was a chapter called "Indexing Multiple Vertex Arrays". Now most texture coordinates (and normals) in OpenGL are interleaved with one vertex array, and vertex arrays are kinda like passing a ton of information for each vertex. Color, shading information, etc. So chances are it wasn't even related to texture coordinates. In fact it could have been some random thing that wont even be relevant to me until I'm way further in the graphics process.

I decide to check it out anyways, and at first it's just explaining what indexing does so I'm losing hope. Then On page 369 there's literally source code that tells me how to index everything, which was basically the overall question I was trying to solve, and then theres another 2 examples on how to do it different ways after that. It blew my fucking mind.

ah, i'm retarded, i was saving the directory string in the file rather than the actual SaveFile

well, nevermind, i got it working via retarded amounts of overriding
in anything that i want that has to be serialized i need to paste this
//serialize public void GetObjectData(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) { info.AddValue("ScriptableType", GetType().AssemblyQualifiedName, typeof(string)); foreach (FieldInfo field in GetType().GetFields(BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.FlattenHierarchy | BindingFlags.Instance)) { info.AddValue(field.Name, field.GetValue(this), field.FieldType); } } //i wouldn't need this if i wasn't deserializing public StoryVariable() { } //deserialize public StoryVariable(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) { Type type = System.Type.GetType((string)info.GetValue("ScriptableType", typeof(string))); if (type == null) return; foreach (FieldInfo field in GetType().GetFields(BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.FlattenHierarchy | BindingFlags.Instance)) { field.SetValue(this, info.GetValue(field.Name, field.FieldType)); } }
and they also have to inherit from ISerializable
i still don't get why they haven't just made scriptableobjects serializable

Seriously, you only want to make your own engine if you are doing something different that other platforms don't fucking do. Generally Game Maker is plenty robust to do whatever you want it to do. There's no sense in reinventing the wheel for a shitty platformer.

Despite being en enginedev, I was mostly with you until
Seriously, step up senpai.

It's amateur development. No need to rush, as long as you're having fun.

What is valgrind, or the thousands of variations there-of?
With just some good programming practices you barely have any of these issues. And even then they only apply if you decide to write your engine in a language that can suffer from those issues.

On top of that, finding memory leaks is fucking easy. Just save a copy of the stacktrace as well as the memory address of the parent whenever you allocate, and then delete it when the appropriate parent frees the memory. At the end of the program, print all stacktraces that didn't garbage collect properly.
Oh look there's all your objects that did memory leaks.

If there's anything to worry about with writing your own engine, its fucking memory corruption issues. But those are becoming less and less of a problem with newer languages and language features. And even thsoe are pretty easy to debug with valgrind.

If you're building an engine, I'm assuming you're doing so in a way that its going to work with a game you have in mind.
If you didn't do that, then you'd be a fucking idiot.

What if I'm coding my own engine because the off-the-shelve engine DOESN'T do the same thing?

Have fun with your bloated 800 MB pixel platformer that requires atleast a GTX 1060 to run.

Talking about bloat, how much bloat is there in UE4 packaged (ie ready to distribute and play) games? I couldn't believe that my game, even with compressing, was about 900 MBs. I don't even have that many models and scripts.

Compile an empty project and we'll know.

Demos are always good. Make sure it's polished though.

900 MB boilerplate sounds a bit much. Then again, UE4 has lots of high-end systems built in. What I do know about it though, is that it's fast. A friend of mine knows the developers of Ben & Ed. He showed me their game on his shitty laptop and it ran flawlessly. And by shitty I mean an a couple generations old Intel Pentium Mobile IGP.

Can you get the XYZ coordinates of the player and the entity or their collision bodies somehow? If so, just use Pythagoras' theorem to calculate the distance between them. In 3d space you'll have to do it twice, obviously.

Asking even though I don't really expect anyone here to know.

Ever since I introduced portal rendering through frame buffers, resizing has been glitchy. When I disable portal rendering (and thus it never switches away from frame buffer 0), this issue stops.
The issue can be seen very clearly in pic related.
The correct&expected behavior would be that it draws the scene as normal, but because the glViewport isn't updated at the same time, the actual rendered surface doesn't change in size. If the window shrinks, what is visible should be partially clipped. If it grows, the new area should simply be black.

The weird thing is that these graphical glitches only occur when the window size is actually changing. When I stop moving my cursor, it fixes it. Note that the actual resize in rendering code doesn't occur until when I actually release the mouse cursor to finalize the resize.

I'm using SDL and OpenGL, and the OpenGL code, including the swapping of buffers, runs in its own separate thread. To ensure that the OpenGL work is actually finished before swapping buffers, I always call glFlush&glFinish before doing so.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

What? No. Length of a 3D vector is
You don't use Pythagoras' theorem twice.
That said, you most likely shouldn't be doing it that way. You just add a larger collision shape to the enemy, and if the player overlaps that you're within the distance. Manually calculating distance that way is the same thing except more work and without any optimisations the engine creators did.

Sounds like a non-issue to me. If anything I'd have the program stop update logic while resizing and draw the last framebuffer. Resizing isn't something people are going to do a lot.

would it look weird if those guys have light but the main character doesn't when he gets near a light source?

That's pretty standard but In your high contrast game it's more likely people would notice it. It seems immersion breaking

You did just post Pythagorean's Theorem a squared plus b squared equals c squared. What he should be doing is looking for distance squared because that's faster than calculate the square root

I seen your post but I'm not sure what the problem is, I would guess it sounds like you're changing the device state during a draw call

You could use a normal map to render it on anything that gets near any light source.

There's that pixel dungeon game that does something like it.

Wouldn't you then have to sqrt distance anyway? Or would you just refactor all colliion equations to deal with a squared distance?

When I quit if it has been more than about 6 ticks, but it will quit randomly during play anywhere from 10-300 ticks. I need to look into it more but I think I have an idea of what's causing it now. Alas I'm tired from work and need to sleep. Thanks for chiming in user.

In this case you don't need the actual distance (exact value) but just want know whether it's bigger than a certain x. You check: squaredDistance < x*x.

Yeah, that's what I thought…

Would it work like the images that were posted before? I'm not too familiar with normal mapping.

It's not a big issue, it hasn't caused any instability from what I've noticed.

It's just that it looks bad, and I don't really have a way of working around it.

SDL just flatout blocks on event fetch during a window resize, and there's no way to detect it actually starting.
The only method I've found so far is by just re-requesting the size of the window from SDL every frame, as that one seems to be updated constantly. Problem with that though is that that indicates that a fetch has already occured.

I guess that could be it.
Maybe because the framebuffer isn't currently bound in OpenGL, that Windows thinks its okay to clear it. That would explain why the draw corrupts only the framebuffer 0 that's doing the final draw of the world, and other framebuffers aren't corrupted. And only when I actually use other framebuffers.

I'll try to rewrite some code later so that the entire thing is buffered. Then the OpenGL only touches the backbuffer when it needs to output the image.

Anyway, thanks anons.

Yes I did post it, but I posted it once. The other user suggested doing it twice, AKA
√( x*x + √(y*y + z*z))
Which presumably automatically happens in the engine's optimized collision code, so like I said he shouldn't be doing this stuff manually anyway.

Sqrt(x) > y is the same as x > y * y, you learned this in math class. square roots are kinda slow on computers.

Yes, but I don't know what the exact method would be like. You'd have to limit the light to only affect the lineart, and then clamp it at around 50% so it can only be either 100% or 0%.

robotloveskitty.tumblr.com/post/33164532086/legend-of-dungeon-dynamic-lighting-on-sprites

youtube.com/watch?v=dtpsuTV3Ohs

An empty project takes up about 246 MBs of space. My game takes 1'73 GBs. I've got plenty of animations and models, in the dozens. I didn't think that it would take up so much space, particularly because those dozens of models and animations don't reach 1 GB outside of the engine. The scripts shouldn't occupy so much space either, even though they are fairly complex.

Implemented static props that can be rotated, stacked and collided with.

Is that gonna be your final art style? You should try to move away from the Mario esquethetic. Maybe experiment around a bit, like add a matrixy skybox with green hacker text.

It takes a while. Once you figure it out its great. You can do anything with it.

youtube.com/channel/UCdioEctcBLd2nw2aQkl8msw

This guy has all the basics

It is quite not clear, what you want from the player. Takes too much time to figure it out. Would play better, if you would make the path to the flag a bit more obvius, and the secret coins a bit less obvious/harder.

Just a heads up
The background differs quite a lot from the character
That said, I like both, but not together

It's all placeholder graphics. The background is from Final Fantasy VI. The character sprites are from Wesnoth.

I'm more concerned about getting the gameplay and coding working than anything else at this point.

I see, case dismissed then

New lazer, what do you think fam?

Isn't that just the classic DBZ sprite lazer and dust effect? Or is it inspired by it?
I was in the sprite animation community for a while

Its right, just extended it. I don't plan on keeping it in though but it works fine as a placeholder.

Except Yandere Simulator's YouTube popularity was an accident. Yandev has always regretted calling it s simulator because of the unwanted popularity from 12 year-olds it attracted to his game.

IIRC he said he was going for a more Megaman Legends aesthetic, which if you look more closely(and maybe if his screenshots weren't so low-res) you can see that clearly

It was probably from goat simulator.

made a video showing off my level editor and some gameplay.

Like what? Name one thing.

Thank you!

I really like how this is looking so far. How does it control?

That looks pretty cool.

so i'm reworking the dialogue system into a generic rpg framework
so far, aside from the working dialogue, i have a working save/load system (or at least it makes savefiles and saves all the variables for the dialogue)
also made a trigger that starts the dialogue when you get close enough to a certain gameObject, aside from the regular way of pressing F while looking at it
eventually i'll reintegrate this into the boxing game
and somehow a few cubes and a capsule end up making shit run at around 20 fps on my ideal resolution

Not really much to show dev-wise for Space Pirate in Space this time. I've been doing a lot under the hood work to smooth out some of the hackier systems. I don't like rewriting stuff, I'd much rather be working on new things, but I guess it's better to clean things out now rather than have it become an unmanageable mess later.

In the meantime, a friend drew something.
She's cute.
Mind the moonrunes.

Love it. I'm a sucker for those charge-up-and-spew beams.

her eyes look like nipples

Claimed. Thanks very much, user. I've had my project going for a while, and have had the inevitable cost of buying legit copies hanging over my head. I appreciate it.

look at the asm the compiler generates. make sure the instructions in the output use the fewest clock cycles. you can find this information on the internet

god tier taste

this is the user that made a haxe engine right?
either way this looks like it could be a lot of fun

you what?

yay
fuck

Actually looking into SDL, it seems like SDL resizes the window immedietly.
So the issue is most likely the fact that I'm writing to the backbuffer whilst SDL is triggering a backbuffer reallocation.
Guess that's another thing to add to the "list of shit I need to fix in SDL someday".

So if I don't contact them, how much money will I get?

I've heard of boobs being in the eye of the beholder before, but that's ridiculous.

If I were to use rythem game mechanics in turn based combat what are some good rythem games to look towards? I was thinking something that looked like osu but I've heard bad things about it and I've never played it, it just looks like something that would work for casting spells.

Gamemaker Studio question here. I can't seem to find a way to avoid enemies from overlapping each other without getting stuck. How do I make the enemies avoid all solid and regular objects except the ones I marked?

Should I grow a pair and share my RPG Maker XP game with this thread for feedback? Or is RPG Maker generally frowned upon here?
Pic unrelated

Bumping with a bunch of ebooks I found on Holla Forums shodan.me/books/ Tons of programming books, there is a game dev section as well. Personally I recommend "Thinking in C++". It starts off with one of the best lessons in OOP I've found anywhere, instead of the usual "this is an int, this is a char, here's how you add 2 ints, etc."

Yes and yes.

If YOU don't contact them, the guy who gets the job doesn't get more than $110. And it's all your fault. You asshole.

What bad things did you hear, Osu is kinda fun if you ask me. Only bad thing about it is the fact the licensed DS games have more well known music and cool videos and Osu doesn't.

Does it look like an RPGM game? If so, people here probably won't like it much. But you'll probably get decent feedback either way.

DIscovered this today: github.com/raysan5/raylib Worth a look for those who don't want to use an engine, but think stuff like SDL/SFML/GLFW are a little too bare-bones. Lots of examples included. Only had time tonight to git clone it and build the examples but very impressed so far.

Should I write a homebrew game for the NES, SNES, or GBA?

PC.

What open source engine.

go on to make your own

What language.

C.

Disregard this mans opinion

Ok, what shall I do.

Generally speaking this is a bad idea.

t. yandaredev
where's that photo of his retarded code where he uses ifs to compare tons of strings

Yet yandere has a game and none of us do.

he has a monstrosity
i'd rather not have a game than be associated with his garbage
unless i get 2 billion for it of course

It depends on how fast you want it out and how well you can program, but there is next to no circumstances where you'd use C over C++.

The only time I remember this ever being done practically was on a PSP game they needed a slight performance boost so they wrote everything in C. This prevented them from using all the nice things that make your code reusable for a very slight performance gain. This is a PSP, so chances are using C over C++ will give absolutely 0 noticeable performance boost, slow down your development process, and make your code bulkier and harder to work with.

If you can't program use another engine. I tried writing my own game engine in C++ before I even knew C++ and I ended up throwing it out because of how awkward it was written. 2-3 years of work basically gone. That being said I don't know much about engines that have already been developed.

What? He's in the same development hell all of us are in

I have a game.
I have a bad game, mind, but I'm making another right now and I'd rather die than stop doing it.

Well, I don't want to actually die, obviously.

Mainly about the community, but that really doesn't affect the game play so I don't care about that.
What I did hear is that compared to other rhythm games it just falls short. In what ways? They didn't specify, and I have reason to believe they were just being elitist. This is why I'm getting a second opinion.

Its really early, but its using most of my own see, shitty assets (most sounds and all animation are currently RPG Maker defaults). The interface is RPG Maker.
Here's a download
volafile.io/get/zYELP4MIw65fow/shadowquest-game-beta7.16d.zip
I'm looking for feedback on balancing and errors, mostly.

Osu! is a free game, you can download and try it within a few minutes.

Let's say I want to make a tactics/strategy rpg a la Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics, what would be a good way to start?

Ideaguy time

How would you handle instruments and music in an MMO?

Anyone who obtains an instrument can play it at any time and other people will hear it. The problem is that it would be extremely easy to "grief" the entire area by spamming the loudest most annoying note over and over again. If there's actually skilled bards playing music for people, anyone could just start spamming some fucking flute to ruin the whole thing. How would you solve this problem?

I was thinking that the music radius would be very small and the sound would be fairly quiet, but you could also place down some more expensive "boombox" item or something which significantly amplifies the sound radius, and you can click it to mute it's sound if you don't like it. Of course you would have the option to mute all instrument sounds, but most people would probably just end up doing that if it's too easy to grief.

Downloading game maker

P L Z A N S W E R

How about a "party" system for musicians? If someone is playing a instrument and people want to listen, they can do so, but joining in on it requires the band leader's permission, and anyone who's listening to any of the party will hear the whole thing. A player can still play along with the original musician, but without the host's approval, only he and people listening directly to him can hear.

Is it possible to use game maker for 3d games as well? I haven't decided on whether I want to use 3d graphics or sprite based like the GBA fire emblem games. The gameplay I have in mind will basically be the same wither way though.

I was thinking that people could join your boombox if you give them the permission.
That makes me think that there should probably be some kind of audio interface where you can adjust the volume of nearby boomboxes and players individually. I don't like the idea that people would feel compelled to just mute all instruments because of spammy faggots.

No. If you want a single engine that can do 2D and 3D, then go for Unity or UE4. They'll make simple 2d games kinda bloated, but at least you can use the same familiar engine for everything and add fancy effects while you're at it.

I would, but your description of your problem and wanted behaviour is incomprehensible.

Technically yes. In practice, no. It has functionality for it but it's basically unusable. You could use prerendered sprites like New Super Mario Bros. for a 2D game, though.

Anyone can play anything anywhere at anytime, including voicechat. If someone's acting likea faggot they'll get cut down because PvP is universally enabled and there is no such thing as a safe zone. I don't understand why all modern MMOs are so full of safe space faggotry.

Clearly it's because you don't understand how MMOs work.

When I played Tibia around the turn of the century, the only safe area was the depot. It worked then and it would work today. Only reason it's not done is because of casuals that really wanna play a single player game with a lounge to socialize. It removes the feeling of being in a massive world and interacting with other people because it removes the biggest source of interaction, namely conflict. A game world without conflict is a boring world.

Consider projecting your opinions a bit less.