Pixel Thread

Didn't see one in the catalog, lets have a good pixel art thread. I hear everyone say how good Metal slug's pixel art is, but honestly KoF also has some mind blowing stuff as well. On another note why did nobody here ever mention that Metal Slug turns into AYY LMAO halfway through it. This is yet another time Holla Forums has failed to make me aware of something I find extremely relevant. Anyways Post what you got, it doesn't have to be from video games either

Other urls found in this thread:

androidarts.com/pixtut/pixelart.htm
neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?56323-Metal-Slug-Movie-Pop-Culture-References
fool.deviantart.com/art/iso-castle-75849130
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nice stuff. I got more ayys

the aliens in metal slug freak me the fuck out. really unsettling. I think it's because I played through it when I was really quite young at a friends' house and it totally frightened me, especially when you've got characters possessed by aliens and shit.

forgot to sage my blogpost, apologies

It's fine, feel free to post any stuff you find later though. I am always looking for good sprites, and art in general. Also I have heard that the metal slug ports have really bad input delay is that true?

The fuck?

Ports to PC? Metal slug 3 on pc was playable enough for me and a buddy (the same friend incidentally) to play through it together online. If you mean the arcade ports to ps2/etc, those are great.

There will never be a truly elder god tier sidescroller series like Metal Slug. Prove me wrong.

You're probably right. The fact is most devs are more than capable of making such a game, but they find Metal Slug's simple if effective, and fun gameplay combined with very good pixel art beneath them. Not worthy of big time developers like themselves

Hopefully, if kof14 does well, we are getting metal slug 8.

It will not be the same and you know it

Mugman and cuphead is looking pretty good. Not amazing, but pretty good regardless.

Long-time Metal Slug fan here. Beaten every 2D game in the series on one life with monster scores so you know how much I love it.

If they sell out Metal Slug to 3D garbage like they've done to King of Fighters they can go straight to hell.

bump

Maybe if you actually contributed something new you found it wouldn't be that way. On another note, does anyone have links to any tutorials on making stuff like this. When I actually start making games this will be important stuff

Angry Birds has really sick pixel art.

What the heck, why not.

androidarts.com/pixtut/pixelart.htm

Thanks guys

Bumpan with fresh material
Seriously, it looks very promising

do you have the others or a link where to torrent the next ones? i've been searching for these with no results

but what is pixel art

That looks sick.

That is an excellent question. Just post whatever pixels you have. I just hope some very helpful anons, drop off more pixel guides

psylocke's face wasn't that detailed in mvc2 was it?

IT'S 2016 AMERICA

gif is a lossless format

So is APNG, only it's better in every way. Get with the times grandpa.

ptsd from that moon

This thread made me realize how much I miss detailed pixel art. I grew up playing Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown, Final fight, Violent Storm and what have you. Absolutely gorgeous art and very charming. 3D just doesn't have that. I was sorely dissapointed while playing Metal Slug 6 that the backgrounds were pre-rendered 3D. That game was a weak MS title for many reasons, but the background art was dissapointing and bland.

6's graphics and sound effects may have been upsetting, but design-wise it was a big step in the right direction after 4 and 5.

Why do pixel backgrounds always seem to move fast?

Postan some of the ones I have.

I didn't get past MS3. I just don't like how the sound chip (or whatever it is) changed.

X>3>1>5>6>>>>>>>>4

Seriously, fuck 4. I'm having PTSD just remembering what an awful piece of shit it was. Bosses were frankensteined into being, enemies were boring, levels were linear and art was bland and the music was just god-awful. I remember buying it for my PS2, hoping to get my MS fix after playing the shit out of 1 and X in the arcades. 4 was a poor substitue until I got my hands on the anthology.

I actually liked 5's style. The game felt very janky for some reason, and not just because of the sliding move. I really liked that you were fighting a guerilla army, it was a complete change in tone, and the music and in-game technology showed that. The music was so kick-ass I almost played 5 just for it alone. Also, I think that during the assault on the guerilla base, with the giant fighter plane as the boss, there is a reference to Patlabor. You are falling down with an elevator, and these bug-droids blast out of the walls. Their design and the way they appear are almost exactly as they are in the first Patlabor film.

Sound chip? I noticed that they changed some of the explosion sounds in the anthology version (which still triggers my autism), but I doubt that's what you meant.

The flying skiff thingies in that same mission are also a reference to Akira.

Hey now the same composer did the music to 5 and 7 as well you know. I think 4's music is pretty good actually. Shame about the rest of the game.

Even in 1987 the future Metal Slug artists were doing very impressive stuff.

Ah shit, I didn't even notice that one even though I should have. Found this site as I was searching for any more references MS had made; turns out there's a shitload.

neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?56323-Metal-Slug-Movie-Pop-Culture-References

Dedication like this, along with pixel art, is what I miss the most. Not only is the art and music superb, the developers are apparently huge movie buffs as well. You just can't find quirky stuff like this anymore.

Eh, 4's music was alright, but it didn't have any "exciting" songs to accenuate the action.

Hmmm I can't seem to save it right.

Holy fucking shit, I 100% forgot about this game, it was the shit.

sauce?

tired of the same shit in these threads. get some new material, get a sega saturn or some genesis.

Why aren't you happy to experience things new? Not anyone's fault you conveniently missed every picture or mention beforehand, you'd have to have not been paying attention.

Pixelart in games is dead.
Why bother with quality when you can make an entire game for the same effort it would take to make a single high-quality asset and get all that sweet retro hipster faggot money?

Oh bullshit. You also neglected to mention that FF8 leveled the bosses to your level, that was never mentioned in any of the FF threads

ftfy

The second part of your post here sadly applies to games in general.

Console ports have loading times for some reason(even the PS4/Xbone ones)
Just emulate them on MAME

I've been looking for this game for a while, thanks

If somebody has the next issues, please share them.

Little something I made

Post actual videogame art, not devianart shit

fool.deviantart.com/art/iso-castle-75849130

KOF probably has the shittiest stages of all SNK games

Here is something i put together a while ago.

pixal so gud.

Fuck, don't you have a rainbow hair tranny dick to suck somewhere faggot?

Why are you so angry?

If it was indie shit it would look more like this.

King's Quest games really felt like a fairytale.

it actually doesnt look bad in game

I've been recently getting into pixelart

how the fuck am I supposed to rotate pixels? for example 180 degrees

Yah that is kinda confusing me to. I think what he is asking is can a pixel soldier for example be essentially rotated by having a program move the pixels as he is rotating it. And I think the answer is no

Yeah he needs to clarify. Does he mean rotate a sprite in game or rotating a section of pixel art in a program?