NMS devs got in trouble

econotimes.com/No-Mans-Sky-Could-Be-Delayed-Again-Dutch-Company-Claims-Patent-Infringement-238648

tl;dr:

So in essence not only can't the devs into gameplay, they also can't into programming their own shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superformula
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system
devili.iki.fi/pub/misc/books/cdne.pdf
svenskefaen.no/cdne/
8muses.com/album/jab-comics/my-mom-the-radio-star
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Someone patented generating different colors at random while removing any fun ?

Is No Man's Sky a game or is it just a prog rock album cover generator?

It's a walking simulator in space.

I do get a bunch of HALO guns in this game, right? Can I massacre the planets? Please tell me I can.

this shit will be spore 2.0, with even more disappointment

I hope this doesn't cause the game any further delay, because I need a good space game to hold me out until Star Citizen is finished and this was supposed to be it

A prog rock album cover generator would actually be good and useful.

Just go play E:D, yo

I fear you will need more than one game.

It's bad enough that devs who use procedural generation are hacks that have no level design talent whatsoever, but they can't even write their own algorithm either?

Can we even call them devs at this point?

No.
No, planets reset once there's no players on it.

>he intends to tribute several planets after his future gf's name
Kek, now I can tease him even more for paying to a bunch of nu-males who "made" a "game" just for this.

Can I kill the animals? That's all what I was asking.

Yes but then droids or whatever they are will come in mass to murder you.

Yes but the overpowered space police of fuck you start to ram your shit in out of nowhere if you're even detected just looking at an animal the wrong way.

But it's called NO MANS SKY. I found it I'm supposed to be able to do anything to my sky.

No, it's No Man's Sky as in nobody is allowed to own it, and fuck you because space assholes are going to make sure that's enforced.

It's like they wanted to make the least fun space game ever made.

Say what you want about NMS, but I completely despise this kind of shit. I don't care that much about copyright but the patent system is some next level kikery, seriously patenting an "Algorithm" for fucks sake, it's pure logic.

What does their patent even cover? Software patents are among the most abused by trolls and rent-seekers, and cause a great deal of pain even for those who might occasionally benefit from it. It is especially a problem when software algorithms can have such wide applications(encryption, AV codecs).

People have in fact already pointed out that this whole deal may not fly with EU regulations for the reason you mentioned.

Speaking In their deffense, algorithms are not code at all.
For example, your algorithm of going to toilet would be:

This algorithm can be patented by anyone, if it isn't. You can get sued for using a toilet.

It's jewry at its finest.

The hell took them so long? They had a whole year to sue.

WHY?

You are confusing code with algorithms. Code is protected by Copyright, patents are more abstract things and describe vaguely what it does. So no matter in which way you code it, or which language, if it does what the patent describes you can get sued.
For example, sorting a list by selection can be described as:
There, you patented Selection Sort.

like every numale idea ever, you will be given absolute freedom except for 6789 exceptions which will make developers show you the door or other nice euphemisms for banhammer

E:D is shit though. The only reason you'd play it is if yo're on the autistic spectrum.

E:D is a boredom simulator. It's the kind of game that's designed to show you that life in the sci-fi future is just as drab and shitty as life in the modern age.
It's cool for a couple of hours,though, until you realize that there are literally only 4 types of things you can do, and you have to repeat one of those four things about 10 thousand times to progress to the biggest ship so that you can - do absolutely nothing with it.

Could someone patent the act of shitting, and then sue every living being on the planet for patent infringement?

I don't suppose anyone knows the name of this algorithm or the patent in question?

although i want to shit on them, how the fuck do you patent an algorithm
that's retarded

It's like patenting 2+2=4 isn't it.

They might well have and just strayed too close to a patent. IIRC id got sued for using an algorithm carmack thought up in doom 3 because some faggot company had developed it independently and patented.

You can always file a patent. Pretty much no checks are made concerning the sanity of a patent, however when you seek litigations all the defendant then needs to do is find prior art, i.e. cases where the same thing has been done as what the patent describes previous to the date the patent was filed.

>>>Holla Forums
>>>/scurv/
>>>/scurvy/
>>>Holla Forums

Who's that pokemon, Holla Forums?

So did the person who patented such an algorithm actually get into game development? Would there be any purpose to patenting such software if you weren't going to make games with it? Part of patenting something is supposed to be part of keeping competitors from using the same thing you are, and forcing them to do something different to compete.

Patenting some kind of software though is a much bigger crapshoot than patenting a physical product though.

Algorithm is coding technique you silly dumbcuck, not the codes themselves. It's like patenting the steps to wipe your ass after taking a shit.

Coming up with a efficient algorithm for a complex problem is hard work. Only a fool would give everyone the right to use it for no compensation.

Not necessarily. It's like patenting the steps in long division.

Don't worry Star Citizen should be finished by the time your great great grandkids are out of college.

Holy shit, you're brilliant, Schlomo! We'll patent hard work!

So flowcharts and pseudocodes can be patented now?

Sounds like counter productive for a Jew like myself. That would mean we'd be the only ones with right to do hard work.

They always wait until the last minute. They can squeeze more money out of them that way.

We'll license it, of course.

What's the point of patenting just the software? You wouldn't be able to license it to different development teams using different platforms and languages and it would be easy to steal.

Brilliant.

how did that kike end up figuring out they stole his janky ass programming?

>The timing of this news is a little questionable as “Hello Games” has admitted to using the algorithm as far back as 2015, which would have given “Genicap” plenty of time to step forward with their objection. That they waited until the game was finished casts a shadow over their intentions.

Those dutchcucks could've just made it a classified organizational information and licensed it like the KFC secret formula.

I don't think they could have pulled the stunt like they are doing right now if they had done it like that. Fooling the goyim into using the algorithm before setting the trap is crucial.

How did they even know it was their algorithm in the first place?

Also, patents are fucking garbage.

Patenting the steps to wipe your ass should be more patentable than patenting an algorithm. Algorithms are nearly pure math. You shouldn't be able to patent pure math ever.

When will the game die?

When the cult commits suicide

Sounds like the advertisement tactics Blizzard used for Overwatch.
I like how they are mentioning several times that the algorithm allows them to generate an infinite amount of planets and creatures.

Apparently it's this equation.

Right, Poe's law, I forgot.

you've got to be shitting me

No shit. Their only other games are all in the same series, the Joe Danger series, and while I find them reasonably casualy fun, going from rehashing that (and probably it's code) over and over again to doing… whatever No Man's Sky is doing, is a big leap.

It comes as no surprise to me if they stole the code from someone else.

Starbound generates like a trillion planets when you start a game.

Guess what?

It's still utter shit.

Do they keep getting more powerful or can you defeat them? Because then it could be a fun game about killing space communists.

I can see it.

What's that twirly shit, how do I calculate it?

It says the patent is expired.

Jesus Christ.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system
It's an angle.

If they replaced the generator using that algorithm with a constant, I doubt the game would become noticeably more shit than it already is.

thank god highschool has ended

While some algorithms can be extremely simple others can be very complex.
And let's face it, most devs aren't all that good programmers.

so what makes you think the space cops wont be a joke to kill? dont you get full ownership of the planet once you do kill them?

No Man's Sky is awful but patents should not exist. Especially software patents.

You can't own a mathematical truth.

with the way things are going, soon the kikes will be selling/having ownership of integer numbers

kek

I bet they get completely fucked by licensing fees

Illegal numbers are a thing. 09F9…

I'd love to play Prog Rock Brutal Legend (sans the obnoxious forced 3rd person RTS gameplay)

Hell, you could just turn the entire Rush 2112 album into a storyline for a game.

That sounds like a good excuse for an adventure/exploration game with awesome scenery.

have you read the book 'Copyright Does not Exist' by Linus Walleij?
it's an interresting read about copyright, patents and general freedom of information
devili.iki.fi/pub/misc/books/cdne.pdf
svenskefaen.no/cdne/

Brutal Legend probably isn't the best example because it's a pretty bland hack and slash / faux-sandbox game.

I'd love to explore the Temples of Syrinx or find the Guitar hidden behind the waterfall, y'know?

There's a lot of creative ideas in there.

All data can be represented as a binary number, therefore all copyrights can be interpreted as the ownership of a particular number.

Why are Holla Forumsfags so reddit tier plebian?

Sorry to play the devil's advocate here, but patents are here to prevent these cases, and there were plenty of those in history.

seriously

it's like people are complaining about the mathematician being a kike when most kikery comes from the NMS devs

Go back to /mu/ and talk about Neutral Milk Hotel or whatever hipster shit is currently en vogue.

he should have gotten someone to pay him for working on it instead of working on it for free if he wanted money

As much as I hate VR as a trend.. I think some of these more experimental bands would make for great material for immersive VR experiences.

Alternatively

I see some of you people have never met proper mathematicians or academics IRL.

It's bullshit tbh. This isn't something that cost billions to research and develop.

King Crimson is just a commie stoner band that ripped off Aphrodite's Child and The Nice.

They're total autists. Classical poets and writers are the only likeable intellectuals.

Found your problem. If you don't want people using your idea, don't shout it from the rooftops.

i know it's Holla Forums, but come on user, there are a lot of applications for procedurally generated content that aren't vidya

you don't publish it you just patent it. In science community publishing equals saying "Hey guys see what I did there! You can use it but only if you show where did you found this solution"

So it's exactly like NMS then.

Could one person be any more hipster?

I had a copypasta about this but i can't find it, so i'll post what i remember

I get what you're trying to say though, kikes obviously will try to take advantage of patenting things, but saying "intellectually property is bad because someone is making money" is pretty retarded.

brah, the whole game

it's like….an experience

Your comparison is garbage and you need to kill yourself.

Every thread!

I was talking about intellectual property in general, not about this particular case.

Good thing no one said that.

So you were making an irrelevant post?

Good to know.

Intellectual property is not bad because people make money off of it, it is bad because they fuck everyone else in the process. The part about making money is simply the reason it exists, not the reason why it is bad.

Say what you will about Star Citizen, but at least Chris "Hundred Million Dollar Man" Roberts and his teams designed their own shit.

What comic is that image from?

Is X3 Terran Conflict any good? I want to play a space game where I can make loadsamoney (and have a real purpose). Is the difficulty curve THAT bad?

Can't really say they designed their own shit when they haven't even fucking made anything yet.

The thing about algorithms is there are people who spend years just making new ones and then patenting them so when someone uses one they can throw down a suit. Its nothing new, its happened to a lot of people who make procedural generated games. Talk to anyone who's made large title with random generation and they'll probably talk about the dipshit that tried to sue them because their set of numbers looked like his.

Everything but CotCK is shit

Here's the problem. Software patents cover techniques that can be used in many ways. Imagine if something like the fast fourier transform was patented for example, probably lucky that was devised well before it became really useful.

Additionally just because an idea is patented doesn't mean it's providing just compensation to who developed it, or even being used at all. Patent trolls are a serious problem.

wtf

To be fair, implementing an algorithm is hardly a case of not making your own shit. If that were the case, you'd have to berate every game out there with a physics engine for not coming up with their own special snowflake version of newtons laws of motion. Not to mention developing an alternative to numeric integration.

By the way, why is everyone saying "algorithm"? As far as I can tell, it's just an equation.

8muses.com/album/jab-comics/my-mom-the-radio-star

Yes, it's a life of poverty in the search for truth and funding. Followed by burnout because academia is fucking horrible for your mental health.

Nice 8muse is still up, time to bate to Ay Papi

Why the fuck do patents exist?

Do they actually do any good for the world?

You know, so inventing and researching new stuff was economically viable and not a financial suicide when your competitor invests in production and marketing capacity instead of R&D?

Ultrapleb confirmed

The point was to protect your creations so that if you discovered or invented something, your idea would be protected so that you can reap the benefits of it's creation.

And that's a great idea.

But in ~the last 30 to 40 years mostly, people have managed to patent the most absolutely bullshit things and use gray area legality to get huge payoffs for almost no risk and almost no effort.

This is why intellectual property is such a tricky subject.

No, patents are wholly selfish, designed specifically to protect the patent holder; this is by design though and whether or not this is a good thing is up to a persons specific point of view.

FIRST REPLY CONCLUDES THE THREAD.

NU-MALES SKY BTFO

Mostly yes, but patents have always lead to all sorts of shittery like Edison's hijinks.

Like with all property laws, protection of intellectual property is as a concept is beneficial to the society. Without protection, everyone would need to protect their own stuff themselves all the time, which would be really bad for the small guys without the resources, for example, to protection from aggressive espionage.

If you believe that property rights trump all else, to the point that defending them is a moral end on its own, then yes they do. Patents exist to provide financial incentive to innovation sot hey aren't a bad idea, even if they are routinely subverted by trolls or Jews who alter one irrelevant aspect of their design in order to extend the patent duration.

Play Subnautica. It's underwater but it's better than a space game while also being kind of like a space game.

As it is now I'm pretty sure NMS, as a game, doesn't exist. Only some screenshots and scripted movies.

Another AAA scam.

On the other hand without patents and copyright big companies wouldn't have their corporate welfare and would actually have to innovate instead of hoarding IPs. Likewise they couldn't steal inventions and creations away from the little guys that work for them. This would also mean that people like Incognitymous could could make naughty toon videos and sell freely them with ought a bunch of lawyers breathing down their necks. That guy on Holla Forums that wants to make lewd Thundercats too. I'd like to watch that.

As shit and jew-ey as the NMS devs are, other company is somehow even more jew-ey because you can't fucking patent mathematics.

What makes you think that? Big corporations could just steal others' shit and use their other assets to out compete the innovators.

Being forced to work for a corporation doesn't seem like a plus.

Smut based on characters of children's cartoons doesn't seem high on the list of societal good.

They can do that anyway and they have enough money to starve out most any litigation or to hedge against the possibility that the courts might rule against them. The little guy can't do this.

Haw did you get that out of what I wrote? I was talking about how studios like Marvel and DC would cabbage the rights to character away from the artist that created them or how tech companies use to do (still do?) the same thing to their programmers. You're also forgetting that patents and copyrights use to be for a limited time, like 15 to 20 years, and non renewable. At least before Disney and people like Sonny Bono got them to extend it to like a century. I glad that fucker faceplanted a fucking spruce.

collectivist pls

I really don't get how no copyright laws would stop corporations from stealing someone's work.

But yeah, you got me wrong. I'm not supporting completely infinite copyright laws. A decade at maximum would protect the initial investment to development while not hampering the wider use of good ideas.

Is this true? because i know for a fact this would stop most people from playing it.

whats the point of an exploration game if you cant return to where you came from? its impossible to feel progression if they erase your past. "i traveled from X to Y all the way to Z" … 'except X and Y dont exist anymore… so here i am sitting on Z"

wow, what a mess.

It wouldn't stop them but likewise they wouldn't have a monopoly on it. The original creator wouldn't be locked out of their own creation like what happens now. The inventor could still continue to make and market their stuff without any fear of legal repercussion. And without exclusivity big corporations taking stuff from the little guy becomes less attractive.

It doesn't erase it. It resets it to default. Basically every planet is instanced.

A patent isn't code. Sounds like they programmed their own shit, implementing an algorithm they probably just found somewhere without knowing it was patent-encumbered.

I don't know shit about NMS, and I don't really care about games like that, but it seems pretty likely that this wasn't really their fault.

…for a year.

No it isn't
It's an RTS that pretends to be a hack and slash for the first half of the single player

software or algorithm patents should not exist in the first place, but this tells you something bad of the devs

It's a very fucking simple equation.

Alternately:

I agree. They should have developed their own or did research into the algorithm. Small devs don't need to worry, but this is pretty big shit. If I program a game on my own and use a patented algorithm by accident, there's a very good chance nobody will notice.

If I'm a multimillion dollar company, though, sombody's going to see it at some point.

Nope

Might have been an unconscious leak of the truth of the regressive ideology, from the Nu Male Sky team. :^)

Unless they choose not to sell their labour to the highest bidder. Their own fault if they choose to give away the rights to their own work. There is no point crying over spilt milk because the milk turned out into a massively profitable IP in the long run with massive investment from the corporation.

And face the outmatched production and marketing capacity of the big companies without any protection to their product.

No, it becomes extremely attractive not to invest on the "little guy" by hiring him and just stealing from him without any pay.

Your examples where intellectual property rights are bad are really limited.

you deserve to get sued for your shittery, you queer

default? so if i go to my 1st planet. and its a red planet, with blue trees, and brown dinosaurs. if i play through the game and travel extremely far and wide… and reach a brown planet, with red trees and blue dinosaurs, i cant feel nostolgic and travel all the way back and see that same red planet, with the blue trees and brown dinosaurs?

thats bullshit.

Sorry, I meant "mediocre"

can you imagine if programming was a fresh thing nowadays. think of how many people would patent simple sorting algorithms. hey wanna do a binary sort to find something? too fucking bad its been patented and you have to pay royalties or do a stupid slower workaround. whats that? you still have 99% of the game to make and every math function you want to use has been patented? time to pay up bitch

NNAIs are a fairly fresh field and I don't know of any specific patents. The worst was probably .gif usage, and some other patent from the late 70s? Mightve affected early 3d

This. Blizzard did this to steal the spotlight from shillborn. Both games suck major dick though

Happy post anniversary.

You've failed to take into account a couple of things.
1. It would no longer be a zero sum game. It wouldn't be about who gets to make all of the profit vs. none of the profit. Of course a small timer won't have access to the capital to make as big a go at it as a multi-national corp. but that's equally true under our current system. There's lots of little guys that don't license or sell their ideas and make a go of it themselves and never make windfall profits. Even for really great ideas. The point is that the creator/author/inventor could never be locked out entirely from the profits.

2. Corporations taking an invention from it's inventor would have to rely on reverse engineering; The inventor knows intimately how the thing they built works. This gives the inventor a good bit of bargaining room. They piss the inventor off and refuse to come to some accord with him then he could go to their competitor and provide his knowledge to them for a fee or contract. Likewise an artist with a very distinctive and desirable style wouldn't be easily replicated. That gives them some degree of market security.

You do realize that corporations use to do a lot of shitty things like declaring any idea or invention that an employee came up with, even in their private time on their own property, would become property of the company?

Then why are you so concerned about what would happen to the little guy with out copyrights and patents? Are you OK with theft or "theft" as long as it's by the book?

I don't think you faggots really understand what's going on here. People use other people's algorithms all the time, they're basically program libraries. If you are ever building an engine you aren't going to reinvent the wheel for everything, you'll probably end up using a collection of program libraries to do most of the low-level shit for you. That's another thing, you don't understand what an engine is either. It's not just "ITS THE HALO GAME RESKINNED" it's the entire inner-workings of displaying images, vectors, texture rendering- etc.

But the fact they openly admitted to using a certain algorithm that they knew was patented over a year ago and couldn't even be assed to get permission before going through with the rest of the project shows how incompetent they are.

They can, they just have to pay a fee, or develop and alternate solution to the problem. One of these two options is generally easier.

What the fuck is NMS even about?

More realistically.

He's a retarded kike or a LARPing cuck, he said so himself.

I think you should work on your own math.

thoughts?

I feel like someone is going to take their formula and do it better, eventually

Elite Dangerous has multiple factions and 3 Ranks you can pump up. NMS has nothing. I rather play Elite while ignoring the progress bars.

Im not trying to defend the " devs " but the patent is for a engine created to make geometric shapes, the debs can get away by saying that they improved it for making animals, plants etc
This shit is gonna be Spore/Fable all over again

Said it before and I'll say it again. This game is never coming out. Why does Sony like to market vaporware?

Exactly one year at that also ONE FUCKING YEAR HAS PASSED ALREADY
Where did my time go

Who's a good goy, you are reddit

So if you write a new way to draw curves based on bisecting line and it does this x10 fast than conventional methods. Autodesk uses this for quicker rendering in Blender. Profits go up and you get nothing.

hahaha ebin post i lost my shekels true cuck / reddit!

It was a scenario where patents do not exist. I thought that was obvious from my last sentence

Many inventors were self-employed, or worked a shitty job, with the invention being the result of the inventor's attempt to make the job easier. The invetion them usually got adopted by the company as a whole and the inventor, thanks to not being a good bussinessman and not having the funds and connections his employer had, ended up with utter nothing for his labour.

Sure, patents can be shit, but you don't make a case for why their abolishment, as many in this thread seem to suggest, would benefit the inventor in any way.

But they can. They take the work of someone else; something that, in many cases, wouldn't exist without said person (the fact you can patent even inane shit these days is a separate issue. Let's assume the algorithm is too complex for 99.9% of population to discover on their own), and pay said person a very small portion from each sale they make. It's a fair concept.

But you want people using your idea. You made a discovery and want to share it with the world, so that everyone can benefit from it. You just also happen to want some reward for discovering it that's bigger than "Lol, thx"

They are, but that shows a flaw in the current way of issuing patents, not in the concept of patents themselves. There should be stricter conditions for what can get patented and what cannot, but to do away with patents completely is folly.

Woah, what the fuck? I own a patent on shitposting and you're violating it. See you in court, Schlomo.

doesn't matter how stupidly complex it is, it shouldn't be possible to patent

thanks to the flagrant abuse of patents and copyright by rent-seeking parasites, I'm of the opinion now that they should all be abolished permanently.

kek

That's not realistic at all.

This only happens to one hit wonders

This doesn't work because companies want to own a patent, if they can't buy it outright they will not use it because they are cheap

This is reality

Or the guy who owns the patent dies in an "accident".

This is some next level stuff.

I agree not to scrap them entirely. But for software patents, let's say they have a shorter lifetime than regular ones, and an even shorter one unless the holder is actually making use of the idea themselves. That'd also work nicely for copyright generally because very few works have any serious value past even 10 years. The maximum terms are simply absurd.

Also worth pointing out that patenting is sometimes just unnecessary. Good ideas can be worth the R&D for a business even if anyone is allowed to use them, like Google developing VP8/VP9 and Opus.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This.

This is just a bullshit misunderstanding. Sean said when you leave a planete and come back, the planet gets regenerated. Retards who don't understand procedural generation assumed this meant anything you do to the planet gets undone, IE: regen in the sense of heal.

What he actually meant was "regenderated from the random seed", since "leaving" a planet means it gets de-generated, and then when you come back, the procedural generation generates it again. That doesn't mean the changes won't get saved: Minecraft does the same thing with chunks, but changes to chunks get saved in it.

>>>/israel/
>>>/facebook/

come on now, you're not even trying

To quell the negativity here's some nice imagination for Holla Forums.

Prog rock is honestly the best space music.

It's basically the largest space exploration game ever created, there is little story, there are "factions" that you will come across and either support or fight.

But the basic jist is you're a random explorer doing space things and exploring planets.

There is very very little story but by this point the hype is by the whole premise rather than the core. I'll give the game a buy on my ps4, I got a few buds that will play with me and it's gonna be fun to explore with my friends.

Is it the best game ever? hardly, but if the experience is fun than I say yeah it's worth it.

Exploration is only fun when the mechanics surrounding it are rewarding.

There's no real gunplay to speak of so exploring to engage in combat is pointless.

Everything is randomly generated, so you'll see nothing that's actually impressive or interesting, which makes wandering around planets pointless.

Wildlife is randomly generated so it has the same problem.

It's all just exploration for the sake of exploration, with nothing to tie the experience together. Fucking Skyrim has more going on in terms of being an open world game about 'exploration', and that game is fucking dogshit awful.

No Man's Sky is literally 'nothing' the videogame. Why would I spend sixty dollars for nothing? I can get the same experience playing No Man's Sky as I can get googling 'space' wallpapers and browsing for a few minutes, maybe set up a little steering wheel and pretend I'm flying a spaceship that controls like ass.

You can get a better, more realistic Space experience with Space Engine. For free, too.

polar coodinate angle w/the distance, so it's like (3, 5/pi) -> 3 distance and 3/pi angle (remember back to trig, w/radians/unit circle).
You can convert it into cartesian coordinates pretty easily after the fact.

no, it's just simple variable inputs, and tbh it's an extremely simple formula; that's why it's so neat.
Each input determines the curvature per axis direction, amount of corners, "accuracy" of drawing it.
The only constants are the numbers, and the rest are simple operators like abs, cos, pow.

kek, I don't care about nu male's sky, but u don't know wtf you're talking about sonny

Okay, fine, procedural generation. But my point still fucking stands you cuntrocket. When everything is procedurally generated, you lose out on actually interesting things to discover in the world because it's all impersonal and slapped together randomly.

Open world games that rely on these sorts of things always result in bland and uninteresting worldspaces. Every. Single. Time.

Anything that might be interesting will swiftly cease to be because it will be recycled a million different times on a million different planets and swiftly becomes mundane.

I don't buy it. Once you go down that road, you have to potentially save and check the status of all bajillion planets. It just doesn't scale.

>it's all impersonal and slapped together randomly.
>I've never researched proc gen and still say this baseless shit
k kid, do some research, or at least listen to the person who's been using this shit for years; you're simply wrong here.

I don't care about nu males sky u "cuntrocket", and don't move the goalpost; my post was merely about it not being random.

Yup, this looks far better than NMS

Why does that look like a fucking band photo?

Maybe NMS is actually just a smokescreen to test out their mettle as a prog rock group

Christ, it really does.

If you shopped
into that image it would look completely legitimate.

I wonder if they will have a guest appearance by DJ fishsticks.

If your algorithm always turns a given number into the same planet, you only need to store the number, and can run the algorithm to get exactly the planet back once it comes back into range. The catch is that it might be difficult to reconstruct or store any changes you made on that planet the same way.

Actually, I reverse image searched and it actually IS a band photo: 65daysofstatic.
They're apparently doing the music for the game. AND THERE ACTUALLY IS A NO MAN'S SKY TOUR

Imagine if Nine Inch Nails did a Quake tour?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Unless this algorithm is the next coming of god like Steve jobs or Microsoft it will be shit.

It can even be the greatest algorithm ever and the Devs can still fuck it up by making the game boring as fuck.

That'd be awesome.

A week after this game comes out it will truly be No Man's.

Yes

Why haven't I heard about this before?

I don't know what's real anymore.

thanks, frenchie

You could have some extra conditions for said number though. Sort of like an override after it's been generated.

It's not impossible, question is how much computation should be used compared to storage.

What if you have to shit? Do you open the lid after? Are you some sort of retard?

So, this guy now owns the patent to procedural generation and nobody will ever be able to use it without his permission?

This is fucking retarded and everything that's wrong with capitalism. I don't even give a fuck about NMS or any of that other shit, this nigger got a fucking patent to a fucking math equation.

Fuck him and fuck the society that lets him prosper.

*to a specific kind of procedural generation
Nothing really stops the devs from adding another variable and pretty much making it theirs

Could we convince the guy who owns this patent to sue the everloving fuck out of all the indie faggots who keep shitting out half assed and easily forgettable procedurally generated crap? He could singlehandedly wipe this cancerous trend off the face of the Earth.

If the random seed is some int64 say then after only a few changes the space needed to store the list of changes would be larger than that needed to store the seed. That's the entire problem.

why do you have that saved

Look user, we don't need to get into the specifics alright. There's nothing wrong with wanting to brush a cute boy's hair. Just move along.

Can you name a major innovation in the games industry that was dependant on the company being able to patent the innovation?

CIA is on high alert

You take me for some sort of pleb?

It's literally just a Noctis IV rip-off for consolebabies, though.

how does that even work

Stand back, I'm going to patent the act of using computers for things.

Yes, that was my entire point.

Let's say you allocated a single byte to store additional information about each world. Based on the number of worlds they're advertising, they'd need ~18.5 petabytes to store the list of post-generation changes to the seed. And there isn't much you could do with a single byte.

Imagine if they only had a thousand planets (one for every player that doesn't get bored in half an hour).

So what you're saying is the justice system is fucked, and that's why we need copyright law? The lengths to which some of you faggots will go to rationalize your intuitive approval of copyright are incredible. The bad shit in your example exclusively revolves around affirmative action SJW bullshit ruining the law. That's it. Also you missed a step earlier:

So you are saying they use around 80 petabytes to store numbers? :^)

Because you need to know which seed is where, for all bazillion planets.

But minecraft, as you traveled the save file would just get bigger and bigger to save those changes.

This is an online game with locally stored changes to planets. I dont believe changes are stored on servers. so how would it save changes? consoles cant handle an unlimited world like minecraft, hence why they have map size limits. this is monstly due to the elasticity of save files.

so now theres 2 ways i can see them dealing with this. changes I made arent going to be seen on other players games so you will only save changes YOU made, or the planets will regenerate every time.

its an online game big enough to where people will rarely cross paths, as they say.

Does this game have centralized servers? its going to need it to be anything mroe than dark souls ghosts that cant interact with your world.

This never happens today, at some point by pressure of the bigger companies the guy will end up selling the patent and it will NEVER be used again, since he can't defend it alone. That "Die in poverty" is some fairytale boogeyman you invented to push your point, if you come up with something good today you are capable enough to make your idea worth, companies won't simply copy & paste, they will want your support, they will pay you to adapt your shit to their usecases, and if they can copy & paste is because your idea was so general patenting it in the first place was pure kikery, like this case. I don't think Dijkstra died of poverty.
If two guys come up with an algorithm at the same time, and one patents it and the other doesn't, the other guy literally can't use it without paying the first one. It's just stupid, there is no way to defend it, and it doesn't even work properly to cover those cases, it's much more likely a big company can defend the patent than a single guy. Go look where most of the patents reside today, it is not on the hands of people.

Is it me or that kid bald? When he combs the hair you can see half of his scalp wtf?

Realistically it would take much much more than that.
And there's no way individual planets have individual seeds, that would be self defeating.

Even a few thousand players at a time would generate an awful lot of content to save.

best girl

Maybe each player's changes are saved to some cloud individually, with a marker saved to a central location telling the server which players have been to which planets, and then when another player goes to one of those planets, it queries the clouds of the specific players who visited that planet and streams in their changes.

The magic cloud? I doubt theyre going to have anything that sophisticated. that would make this game an extremely server heavy game, not just on storage space, but computational as well..

from what i can tell its supposed to be almost completely locally run.

Then it'll probably just use p2p, meaning that players' changes will only be reflected as long as that player is currently online.

so then if you and some random were both doing something. then return. his changes reset?

most likely, yeah
we're talking about a shovelware company here, not an actual established dev
i fully expect the game to be held together with elmer's glue and thumb tacks

also from what i understand, there's no actual multiplayer, just "massively single player" like spore
even if two players are in the same place at the same time, they wouldn't see each other

sounds more like dark souls ghosts.

What's the difference? If you can't see the players and they can't affect your world, do they even exist?

That's cool.

One of 65DaysofStatic's songs is also used in that one kickass Binary Domain trailer you surely must have watched if you're not a pleb. Seriously go play Binary Domain if you haven't yet, it's from the same guys behind the Yakuza series.

now this is somehow fucked up

It's like having an patent on cars but never build cars and everyone who is going to build a car gets sued.

Reminds me of asiwyfa

ftfy

it's all about you, you faggot. Doing things for your own sake is th emost selfish fucked up thing a human being can do.

imagin a world without selfish men riding everyones dick to hell everytime their feels get spoilerd because of muh-give-me-fame.

Just how retarded is your world view?

they said you would. to make the world not seem dead

at least i have one that isn't just a product from mainstream faggots.

You are a mainstream faggot

Well, we'll see just how much of what they said wasn't a lie when the game comes out.
What was their highest seller before NMS? Imagine Babyz?

i hate as much as you that faggot's game but when it comes down to these kinds of copyright claims , well, consider the following; We all stand on the shoulder of giants.

How the hell were these faggots found out? Is it just a stab in the dark by a troll?

How? How would they known if they use their algorithm, if they don't have view into the code? They also claim to use this algorithm since 2015 and the game was announced in 2014. From the first movies it seems they've got everything figured out back then. I don't want to create conspiracy theory, but I looks fishy…

This is like using Havok without a license.
Sony refused comment and pointed people to the developer instead, making a note of how they're only distributing the physical edition.

LEGALLY POUNDED

I can tell from the way you write that you're likely some loser who has never created anything in xir life, just like every communist.

That's why the concept of being paid for hard work and intellectual property is foreign to you.

These reasons to not release the game are getting increasingly convoluted.

this looks cool, but I have the same old doubts; what the hell are you going to do in the game?

If intellectual property was truly the same a actual property then patents and copyrights would never expire. Instead, patents and copyrights are a grant of exclusivity from a sovereign. They owe more to feudalism than to capitalism.

That's not how patent law works.
You need an application for the algorithm/formula for it to be patentable; also it cannot be a rule that is visible in nature (i.e. E = mc^2 cannot be patented in modern day sense, if it was just invented).
For actual inventions of tangible objects, say a design of a new circuit board + specific processes to get the materials/etc it's patentable due to it being a design + process that creates this tangible object to be produced.

I do agree that patents are a bit bullshit in certain situations, but it has its upsides.
It encourages innovations + competition, and the person's designs/formula/etc are out in the open due to the patenting processes requiring this; so it's easier to rework it into your own version if you're an expert in the subject(s).

In all honesty I think patents should only last as long as it's still used in production, w/an explicit limit of say 10 years of protection even with being in production, as the main reason is to protect startups and such from having their designs/etc stolen before a big corporation with much more manpower could easily reproduce their product/design enmasse.

top kek user

the fuck, hah

It's not even close to being the "underpinning" of the game, and is only there to add more variety in what can be generated.
It is in no way essential to creating what they've done, but the main advantage is that it makes it easier to do so as it's a simple formula with a lot of usability (i.e. instead of having to do custom formulas per shape, or using more complicated formulas to do the same thing, which is generally done, or using something like superellipses which are more limiting).

It's just the application of the formula.

Look at above paragraph.

wrong.
havok is trademarked, and not patented; it's protected under trade secret laws.

It is clear now that thw game doesn't exist.

As I said in previous posts, don't care about the game, but you don't know what you're talking about.

I know exactly which algorithms they're using due to many years doing things like they've done, and it's entirely possible do what they've done.
In addition to even more w/the right amount of determination, knowledge, and expertise.

It's post-rock crescendocore, meant for super emotional, pseudo-patrician and 2deep4u bullshit

Okay, thanks, you're a fucking retard with zero reading comprehension. Sure, it's not one hundred percent random, fine. My point is that when you design an open world game around endless content, whether it's procedurally generated or not, it's always fucking garbage and feels slapped together.

The fact that you're getting incredibly butthurt over me using the incorrect phrase leads me to believe you're either autistic or don't understand English very well.

Either way, kindly go fuck yourself.

wew, you're quite desperate, aren't u?
had a good laugh m8, nice banter

I guess I wasn't clear enough.
Here, let me clarify:
I don't care, and I never stated that I did.

I humbly respect your opinion user rino.

fuck, not even p4k likes their shitty crescendocore

everytime

that happened years ago, didn't you see ME3's ending?

Think on your Intellectual Property sins the next time you wank to shitty H-Games

What if there's not much to modify in a planet?

But he's not, his main point was that worlds not hand crafted by humans are better than ones that aren't.

Whether it's random or procedurally generated doesn't change his main point.

What do you think? If he sued right away in the beginning, the devs would just scrap the project. Now that they've made so many promises, the devs are going to fork up the cash so they can use the algorithm.

Patents and copyrights are anti capitalism you idiot.

this, having a patent means that you have a right to deny others selling the patented thing, even if they made the innovation independently without knowing anything of the patent

That's not even remotely true.
The driving principle behind capitalism is the private ownership of capital by individuals. Patents and copyrights are a way of enabling and protecting private ownership of certain abstractions, thus enabling them to be capitalized upon similar to physical capital.

Note that I do think patent and copyright law is all fucked up, but saying that it's fundamentally anti-capitalist is absolutely backwards.

Good work shitting your pants, user.

>a the lamb adventure game
i want this now

Here's the solution to patents.

You get a full ownership patent for 10-15 years, and can only renew it if you demonstrate a significant improvement on the thing you patented. After the time is up, it becomes public domain in full.
Most things in the world will get the most sales in that first decade, so the creator will be paid for his hard work. But when it's sitting around gathering dust, and only impeding creation because no one is allowed to access its secrets, it's useless and harmful. Imagine how beneficial it would be to video games for one, for so many old games to have their source code fully available. It would be a great learning opportunity and allow people to improve upon and make more games.

should i be ashamed if i want to play it? i heard there will be gog release so i will pirate it ofcourse, would buy for 10e but 60 for game that could be boring after few hours? shieeet

No reason not to pirate it and form your own opinion. That's how I found out Fallout 4 was shit. Just don't buy it based on hype.

NO LOOPHOLES LIKE THIS, haven't you learned anything? Just patent the improvement itself for 10 years so in those 10 years. Noone else would be able to copy your product fully for those 10 years. Where's the problem? Why allow more than that?

Fine then, strict 10 year patent, public domain after.

NOBODY CAN OUTJEW THE DUTCH
NOBODY

I'm interested in it too. It'll have offline mode from what I've read so I'm gonna pirate it first. They have finally released a trailer for the thing I was most interested in, trade, and it looks fun (vid related). Learning languages of aliens, dealing with the alien factions, exploring, trading, the mystery of the lore and shit, etc. Just seems up my alley.

They are awful at marketing it though. Like, I get the wanting to be somewhat quiet about it so players aren't told everything and they get to learn and find out shit on their own, but on the other hand I also know what it's like to be burned over and over on games. And systems like trade and crafting are things they should have really talked about more.

I am getting the soundtrack either way cause I'm a huge 65daysofstatic fan though.

False alarm…

You mean finding glowing monoliths scatter through procedurally generated single-biome worlds?

You mean the static turf system where areas of the universe are under control of one faction and small forces of some other faction come in for utterly boring space combat with no physics or armament variety?

It's a fucking menu with a generic looking futuristic looking dude covered head-to-toes looking at you. Enjoy buying rare materials I guess.

What makes you think there is any in-depth lore in the game? There hasn't been a single hint of that.

Pretty much the only thing they are doing right.

I don't understand that emoticon.
A round fat blob person smiling while another smiling face sniffs his butt?
What did he mean by this?

man with eyes closed motioning for people to quiet down with arms?

That's impossible, user.

Spore at least had a CHANCE to be good in theory, and had a well established studio with previous achievements working on it.

This on the other hand was a Indieshit game from a bunch of nobodies right from the start thus anyone with a fucking brain knows it will be bad.

Now that's what I call CANCER

Fuck off gook.

Killzone 1 was excellent. 2 was in 2007. Go worship government somewhere else. No land or people have names. Those who live to one, assume the position of invaders.

Since that image comes from you it is your form and anything different denied. A variety of scum are parasites, a different religion or union doesn't change that nor excuse it. All of you cowards sound the same. Probably try to make something worse than yoursellves to set you apart. Does the exact opposite. All you are entitled to having birthed and raised such is irrelevance in regard to good things. Even had by scum such as you they stay apart.

Better things not redo things done right. An artist should want them to go on.

This game looks patheticly devoid of detail. A lot more effort needs to go into ship design and world complexity. Disregard a demand for things to seem trivial. Cowards will complain about things being great, because they aren't for them and never will be, things to block their output so it isn't seen, pitied and tried to fix may have people doing better mindless of the enemy of good things, building for them would be betrayal to what is built and to themselves.

Unfortunately parasites abound. So the best offerings can be taken by such. Otherwise games could use the best engines, assets etc, focus on gameplay, themes, story. New content. Things are done for money instead of the thing.

Should be ok after Open programs. Paid ones may have to be prevented from their parasitism continuing. Anything from money including assets bought with it denied.

Things need some care, and for their progression to be pure, not doomed to have an end so it can be sold. Saw a movie that was quite nice, establishing things can be beautiful, why not just that and more of it, leave the past as equally immense and unknowable.

The devs should use assets everything they love. Give them enough tlc to localise them to the piece, make sure what they're in is beautiful. Bring them together where they belong, against nothingness, being something.

To make it more attractive it'd need to:

Have complex cockpits. Or very simple ones.
Use realistic gravity and inertia effects (physx).
On foot exploration having gunplay (COD models, animations, method)

Draw diatance should vary. Baren landscapes could stretch out. Complex ones like forrests kept close by mist.

Creatures rare though planets with them many different ones perhaps, though them formed for such an existance is pitiful.

A focus on more industry would be more interesting. Depleted planets without life. So landing wouldn't be damning life. Lonely structures instead of terrified and mindless animals eating eachother, the least living the most abundant.

As for anything industrial. Killzone 2 before it was colourised is the prime example of how it should be done. The first was great as well, but not entirely the industrial setting as Killzone 2 was before it was turned from masterpiece to mass marketed.

Life could be an unexpected bonus. When found extreme amount of effort into what is there being beautiful, like the bambo forrest of Killzone 1, that something living there would be in immensity.

Strange animals are not surprising. Nor large or hostile ones. Things that attack or pay you no mind should be adapted for that. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter there. Respect the environment as you shoot your way through it. Land doesn't belong to such creatures feeding off it. Those running away aren't that good either, leaving those weaker to be attacked. Outposts for humans (Helghast/ISA) could be interesting. The more ISA the more overrun and with plants growing everywhere, as in The Lost World (Jurrasic Park 2 or 3), done better but a familiar example. The environment havig won. Abbandoned helghast structure where industry prevailed and none of the environment is left. Or there when it is being turned to resource. Some wars between stupidity and efficiency perhaps. Nostalgia etc somewhere in the mix too urging things to stay as they are.

A lot of interaction effects to hands and gun. Droplets collecting and running down EOtech of Killzone AR when moist is present. Changing materials darker and damp.

Animals having their own lives, seeing glimpses of them, startled by your presence but not curious, their own lives more interesting. Used to threat, valuing their lives, dutiful to what they provide for etc. Attacking animals very good at it. Raptors again. Animals may help you, when they are hiding and quiet might be extreme threat. To be wise about as well, or brave and accept the challenge which may be some nightmare impossibility, random gen adaptations couldbhav some horrific apex predators. Not a nice thing to make, perhaps adapting to be prepared for warping hunanity too. A challenge though. Aiming and shooting like a joke by comparison. Good reason to deplete worlds. Another thing justfilling the space left by the horror's absence. More mind and it could appreciate being able to live another way. Formed into a humanoid to exist in another culture exciting for it.

Human civilisations, ISA and Helghast…relatively close distance as well , focusing detail ar/or generation on their variety or efficiency adherant to structure, complimentary, respectively.

As an RPG characters in a party. Party members met through various triumphs of character. Where their company would be good for them in yours.

Some horrors using their mind to overcome problems for others a new take on things for them, also the challenge to fight as such a form. Romance options like in Mas Effect 2 from helping them with their desires and their need to share them, record them etc amplify moments.

Outclasses what is available by a wide margin.

More realism, ignorance isn't realistic. Simplification isn't. Structure and efficient use of resources is.

Things should look like they would work. Mechanisms to pull out craft And dock it somewhat dirty from use. Tracks to pull. A giant tunnel of magnets would be a waste. Something on a track hooked to a ship also on a track. Grey, dim lights. No fanfare. Been done before, greased machinery.

Add to realism by lack of extrrnal sound, also emphasising threat from space. Mask withing cockpit audibly breathing. Even air within it too much of a luxury considering it's value. Breaths long and controlled. Changed during combat or in severe danger. Damage to craft having localised effect such as instrumentation or engines become non functional. Seamless transition from cockpit to fps. Able to look around cockpit by pressing a button and moving stick/mouse/Wiimote/Head/Eyes.

Metroid Prime/Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow Merc mode styled aiming, with look inertia (movement slowing but not stopping after imput is ceased). To make aiming smoother, rendering able to do more and prepare for turns, switchable. No HUD. Unknown complex options to discover.

Guns with different working properties in different environments. Jamming more often in some, shots travelling less.

Items on planets opening up more hostile ones. Suits, sheilding etc. Remain highly venreble. Venrebility means more can approach as well. Find more problems, more wonders. What is strong could be old and unsuited to new experiences, grandeur there too. Or very suited to them but not within them.

Also problems entering atamospheres. Generally don't know untill try.

Equipment later to test atamosphere, part of array of ship instrumentation. None present at start. All hidable to sheild themselves, turned off for EMP/damage/power conservation.

Generally wordless interaction, everyone does what works. Could have objectives after repair highlight themselves on an installed ship overlay that points them out. Secure material used to repair ship. Even, no more no less or mission as duty considering craft capebility. Red marker, not seen in FPS on foot, sight well in ship and map. Call ship in or pilot it back to salvage site. As an anti hijack ship having minimal electronics. Risking them in using them especially remotely. Though as a gunship for support massively overpowered. Programing a path for it in advance in some basic 3D model of terrain a compromise. Material printed and mechanics set to run on non magnetic clockwork.

Caution should always seem the wisest option even when it would mean eventual death.

If things go wrong then logical ways to resolve the problem formed. But generally not obvious. Travel enough and come across what is needed very close to limits the very last millisecond to be expected.

Music could be formed by the player, putting together environment sounds, kept by ship as information not yet translated. Ambient accompaniment to space that fits it.

If an area has become boring or has been raised, if boring then needin raising. Pick a star, start cryo system and sleep. World built in meantime or awake to attack wasting no time in propper procedures, awake unprepared, thigs going on get prepared fast.

Could take time to build worlds so done as background task for system making use of most free harddrive space, taking RAM into consideration for what could be shown and the complexity of it. Focus on whole scenes rather than individual elements, though set piece elements and central form of environment eg waterfall and lake kept so progression is always interesting.

Keep colours realistic too, strange environments, but adaptations that have reason for them. Leaves opposing colours to sunlight perhaps or to maximise the benefit they get from it. Forms taking into account , wind, gravity, humidity, rainfall, other life, it's own etc. All is complex and is life. Weathered rocks not so different. Looking at the world should let you know what to expect, and warn you you may be weathered the same.