GPU THREAD

Welp, now we know that the 1060 is undoubtedly the superior card for the market it's being sold to. Check mate amd. Spread this, btw.

I was thinking of changing to the RX480 is that uncle works at Nintendo poster turned out to be true. But it seems on my i5 2500k the GTX1060 will be better with Vulkan.

When I updgrade my CPU in a few years I will be buying a new GPU anyway.

No one buying a RX480 or GTX1060 bought a top of the line i7.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S5VerVlqCYI
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q4VT3AzIBXSfKZdsJF94qvlJ7Mb1VvJvLowX6dmHWVo/edit#gid=0
eteknix.com/sapphire-nitro-rx-480-oc-8gb-graphics-card-review/
pcworld.com/article/3098825/components-graphics/sapphire-nitro-rx-480-review-polaris-rethought-and-refined.html?page=3
extremetech.com/gaming/222483-how-much-ram-do-you-need-should-you-upgrade-it-and-will-it-speed-up-your-pc
techspot.com/review/1089-fallout-4-benchmarks/page6.html
enbdev.com/download_mod_dragonsdogma.htm
nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma/mods/13/?tab=1&nav
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

with that sort of hyper poorness you wouldn't be able to afford a 1060 anyway

1. Most games look pretty good on the lowest settings nowadays. That's disregarding the fact that the amd cards run things on high settings pretty well.

2. RX480 is VALUE unlike the GTX. Performance/cost

3. If you want to be able to turn a few extra settings up to feel proud of playing a fucking video game, you should kill yourself.

4. Who the fuck cares about maxing out graphics anyway? Are you a retard that thinks I should be able to see Decals from miles away and I better turn anti aliasing on so that literally nothing happens to my graphical fidelity at the cost of 10 FPS.

Fuck off with this shit faggots. If graphics are what matter to you, you're fucking insane. The amd shit is 1/3 the fucking price and runs pretty much every you want.

GTX1060 is cheaper in Europe then the RX480.

Doom runs great on any mid end modern hardware. Just buy any cheap decent graphics card if you only want to play Doom.

Doom runs shit on anything below 4gb vram.

Isn't 4GB the mid end class these days?

Why should I give a fuck how a consolised trash of a game runs?

Sadly, Doom is one of the least consolized AAA games of the current decade.

Sure it is.

Nice choice in CPU hombre

thats one game; its not an accurate representation

also who cares

I'm still using my i7 2600k from 2011 and it runs everything just fine. It doesn't even get maxed in Doom.

Because id tech 6 looks good. You honestly can't deny that.

I just wish I had better screenshots.

Megatexture is shit no matter what. Carmack is a cuck hack.

I didn't even mention megatextures, or Carmack.

Megatexture is the reason behind the good graphics, and I don't care how good it looks, it's an unnecessary implementation that bloats up a game's file size from 1 DVD to like 10 DVD's.

I remembered looking at the skybox in episode 3 in doom.
doom 2016 doesn't even come close

Thoughts in Carmack's head: I wonder how many times I could subdue this dumb fuck with my Judo before someone might actually intervene on his behalf.

That's with a color configuration, Hell is normally much more red.

Also, RX is about the same price as GTX in Japan, so any sane person would rather buy a GTX.

pick 1

Have you seen his wife? No one wants to fuck that except him. He's not a cuck.

Today on "How to look like a Fucking Idiot" with our host "This Fucking Faggot."

True, PC Gaming is very unpopular here and no one gives a fuck about MOOM. But I can go to a store and clearly see that there are less and less 1060's on counters than 480's. So eat shit.

NuDoom is actually really damn good, user. You've jumped on a halfchan bandwagon.

It is. What that says for all the others, I leave it up to you.

Just like I said in the 1060 thread these benchmarks are fucking stupid. All the framerates being shown here are 60+ and if you're in the market for a budget card you really don't give a shit about getting more than 60fps. You probably don't have the money for some 1440p 144hz monitor if you're buying a $250ish GPU and not having your game at Ultra to get good framerate is something you've probably already come to terms with.
Fighting over which budget card is the best is fucking stupid because you're both fucking poorfags. It's like watching two hobos fighting over who's heroin is superior, you're still a hobo using heroin.

It's like you want your game to look like shit

Why do you keep posting that cropped version of the video? Why would you cut off the fox like that?

Fuck off

Your's is the cropped one retard.

I'm talking about length, fuckface.

Well them use trim.

His video is trimmed.
Yours is cropped.

They both have very different meanings and you said his was cropped when it is in fact yours that is cropped.

Removing SLI from the 1060 was a very retarded move. Now if 1060 owners wanna upgrade in the future they cannot continue using their existing 1060 effectively. That ability to use your cheap video card with another cheap video card was great for poorfags.

Well, with Mantle/Vulkan and DirectX 12 allegedly you won't NEED SLI or Crossfire to use multiple cards to improve performance.

Just admit you are the wrong party and we can forget your shame.

Well. His video has better resolution and its zoomed to fox. So he has a point that its better.

Why nudoom even considered a game worth to test hardware on, like it has best graphics out there? UT 2004 had locations that look like this.

Looks like UE4, but probably has less features.

Also I guess I should mention a lot of devs have started leaving SLI/Crossfire support out of games, because even the best implementations of it are seen as buggy and cause support problems. So SLI is kind of being phased out, the solution seems to be to use stronger cards instead of more of them.

Like a lot of new games don't even have SLI/Crossfire.

He didn't say better he said the other one was cropped when it was in fact his that was cropped.

Literal fucking autism.

those screenshots look like shit
I always thought the third game looked like shit

HALF-LIFE 3 confirmed!

And your post ends with 3.
Honestly valve will never do it. Its just waste of resource to them.

Better than nudoom or fallout 4 though. That's the point.

"No fat, more jew hats"?

Nvidia finally turned on DX12 with their latest drivers for all their videocards

Only a year+ late

What games had DX12 available a year ago?

Isn't he a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Judo black belt?

Doesn't it have to be in the drivers for developers to use?

DooM

yes

Might as well post these since it is partly a Doom thread.

Look at that fucking name beside id Software, and know that that's why.

Bethesda are the most shameless hack fraud developers with the laziest fucking design process, and they've been buying and reselling games under their own name for YEARS. When they first republished Doom right after buying id Software, they had the game listed as DEVELOPED AND PUBLISHED by Bethesda software, even though id Software self-published and developed those fucking games.

You'll be happy to know the car crashed during the race.

what's wrong with dis

Forgot video.

You can't do a nything but laugh at how bad they are at their job.

Anyways, I want something that is a little more powerful than the 1060 and rx480, but I don't want to pay the monopoly fee for a 1070. Is the no card around 350$, with performance nearing the 1070?

Nothing. Except Bethesda marketing I suppose, or the red bits on the car kinda ruins it.

Racing cars and sports match uniforms are essentially broadcasted billboards. I see nothing wrong with it.

I have 980ti ( got in 3 months ago)
should i upgrade ?

Frankly I don't get the problem with Nvidia phasing out SLI support (and AMD's focus on crossfire to even compete in terms of performance). SLI/Crossfire is more hassle than it's worth, only works in a handful of games (and even when a game supports it there's no guarantee it's going to run well) and is plagued with microstuttering and other issues to varying degrees. A single powerful card is almost always the better option.

DX12 and Vulkan could potentially fix this by allowing systems to run any combination of cards (even allowing AMD/Nvidia hybrid systems) but again it's something that will only be available in a handful of DX12 games.

OP I'm not sure this is what Intel had in mind when they allocated those diversity bux.

None

That said that's why they kept getting slaughtered in benchmarks for DX12, but I guess they didn't give a fuck because there was only up till now like 3 games that used it

1, and it was in alpha, now there's 3 + warframe

Nvidia is better if you manage to actually find it.

You are cancerous, remove yourself and stop shilling for jewvidia. Both gpu companies are terrible

This. Why are people even bumping this thread?

nudoom is terrible.

can someone explain to me how spending money on a beefed up PC specifically for gaming is worth it?

what games are actually worth it to you guys?

You know what was nice about the original DOOM? It was good to play on both PC and console, the face that there was no up and down to be used when looking made it closer to a cockpit like feel which consoles are quite good at. I find it funny that one of the oldest shooters is the best you can have for a controller.

Absbolutly none. Every good game could run on a 400 dollar laptop. The absolute only reason to get a good rig is for emulating GC, WII, and PS2.

AMD is better for Vulkan, nVidia is better for DX.
If you mainly play DX games get the nVidia, if you want to use an OS that is free as is free beer get an AMD.

Vulkan is available on any OS, including the best one, Windows 7

Yeah but from what I have seen most of Holla Forums are AAA buying plebs so they should probably prioritize DX.

I had it set to 4x at first, now I have it on 1x. It covers up minor impurities like spotty AA.

I'm the same guy who posted the screenshots, I'm just at the DMV now.

AMD has been treating linux very well the last two years or so. We've gotten an open kernel module, the open driver is almost on par with the closed, a bunch of code and tools have been released, the list goes on.

Meanwhile Nvidia has killed of the open driver with their signed firmware bs.

It's the same exact shit.
Except only run on windows 10.

American motorsport

Also don't forget how long it will take for games to adapt Vulkan when AMD isn't subsidizing it like they did with Doom.

Wasn't too long ago that having an option for OpenGL was like "Woah neat!"

You really think MS is going to let DX be replaced as the dominant API while they are in the middle of using DX12 to get people onto win10 or as I have taken to calling it, NSA+ Windows?
They will buy every publisher they can and threaten those they can't buy. I hope those tactics fail but it worked so well against openGL I can't see it happening.

I know a dude who works at Microsoft, they're not nearly as malicious as you think. They're mainly retarded.

They're a multi-million dollar multi-national corporation that has no idea what to spend their money on. They're just a bunch of idiots at all stages.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a 1060, but I'm tempted to see if a Ti version's gonna come out first. Seems like a decent buy in terms of price/performance though, my poor old 750 Ti is a trooper but it's starting to show it's age.

Maybe not at his level but look at what the company is doing and you can see how malicious they are at the top.
Win10 updates are a perfect example, it's illegal for them to change your OS without giving you the option to say no so they now have a dialog appear saying win10 will install in 15 minutes unless you click no. This can happen at any time and will wake the PC from sleep to do it.

They forcing win10 on people that don't want it while using the popup to maintain legal immunity from any lost production.

I don't think they have much of a choice this time.
Vulkan is getting backdoored in.
It saves quite a bit of battery life, so android is shoving it on the next version, which will make porting games from mobile to PC and vice versa easier by using vulkan.

They dont even let you say no, they let you choose 8 hours later or now.

Vulkan runs on anything that supports DX11, as in Geforce thermi and up, and yes, this includes weirdly intel video chips.

Seen prettier. Seen waaay uglier too. She's not bad, if you like orientals.

Vulkan doesn't work on my friends 7970.

He's probably being snagged by one of the bugs, rather than having an unsuppoted card.
Here is someone running nudoom on it:
youtube.com/watch?v=S5VerVlqCYI

'sup nvidia shill

I actually just recently longplay'd Crysis 3 on above-utlra settings (.ini tweaks) and I have to say that while it does look nice, I think nuDoom blows it out of the fucking water – and runs way better doing it, too.

A lot of that comes down to the fact that the environments in nuDoom are much smaller and thus easier to render than Crysis 3's sprawling maps, but huge portions of Crysis 3's levels aren't even accessible anyway. Like on the Dam map where you go in and disable the hydroelectric Dam, you don't even visit 95% of the map there. It's literally only there to look nice.

Crysis 3 also commits a lot of major sins of modern AAA game design, with unskippable cutscenes all over the place (although they are at least in-engine.) There are only a couple in nuDoom. Gameplay-wise I think they're pretty comparable; both are good. Just very different styles, it's a bit apples/oranges despite both being FPS games.

Anyway the point of this post was the graphics and again I have to say I think the new Doom looks much better than Crysis 3.

intel can suck a cock
looking forward to the zens
probably get a 1070 this fall as well.

Picture shows a first gen i5 as the alternative to a top end cpu. Your arguement is invalid.

Sure the 1060 is a brilliant card. It's just a bit worse then the RX 480 and generally still a bit more expensive.

Fuck off marketeer.

On a related note, anyone have the info graphic of one of these youtube tech shows where the Nvidia card had one FPS over the AMD card but the graph is twice as long? I really regret not saving that.

This is untrue. These descriptions are far more relatable to multiple monitor support (which is truly garbage, usually requires 3rd party hacks) than multiple GPU support.

Do either of you even use SLI? It works with plenty of games. A lot of newer games cannot even be run higher than 1080p on a single high end video card due to such shitty optimization thus you actually have to use multiple GPU setups if you want to use 144MHz, QHD, or 4K monitors.

You also say it's being "phased out". I could see that happening provided the market is flooded with UE4 games since Unreal Engine 4 uses some deferred rendering that makes multiple GPU support impossible. But until that happens, I don't think these multiple GPU methods are going away.

Even from a marketing perspective, why the fuck would a company "phase out" something that encourages people to buy more than one video card? That doesn't make any logical sense whatsoever.

Pretty sure that's Jet Li, fam

I'm pretty sure that 2 1060's in SLI, when supported, would beat a 1080, and I'm even more sure that NVIDIA sees far more gross margin off the single 1080.

It's called a bottleneck, and it is a common occurrence when you pair a brand new component with another that was released SEVEN FUCKING YEARS AGO.

He says if you have a quad core it RX480 will be worse you need a high end CPU for the RX480 but who buys a highend cpu and a low end GPU for games.

Most of us are still running i5 2500k era cpu so for us the GTX1060 is by far the best option cause I am not going to buy a new i7 just to get good performance on a RX480 I would just buy a GTX1080 if I was going to spend that kinda money.

How the mighty have fallen.

What's a good modern AMD CPU to buy?

my AMD FX 8150 still plays everything on max, but I'd wait for the Zen. Its had glowing reviews so far.

My 2011 i2500k is better then your FX8150. So no good AMD cpu's to buy?

You've made good points, but I'm going to ignore you because Nividia shills are posting threads literally every day, and you're probably one of them.

I can always tell by the argument made. It's never "look how cool this card is", it's all "lol don't buy a 480 guiez", which is probably the marketing agenda that Nividia has right now since AMD got the drop on them.

Intel's shit, but that image really doesn't make any logical point. It's just copypasted merchant maymays.

thats because AMD is price+performance, I bought an i7 5820k and it died on me.

Never again.

When did AMD CPUs become baller? Someone should have told me, I had no idea.

This, this isn't regular fanboy shitposting, it's always "DONT BUY THE 480 GOYS"
Hell we never had GPU wars every day because no one gives a shit here, this is some legit shilling.

I noticed it on Holla Forums recently as well. I was always flipping back and forth between cuckchan and here to train my eyes on what shilling looks like, but it looks like they've found here as well. Damn shame.

As if someone would pay to shill on 8ch a dying website with little users.

It costs pennies per post and companies waste millions more on marketing than on the freaking products they are selling these days.

Another reason its shit.

You can still play old DOOM on a 386 or a 486, you dummy.

I have a 780 and an i7 4790k and play at 1440p, the CPU doesn't need an upgrade for another 5 years, but I sort of want a new GPU to play Witcher 3 and GTA V, and maybe some 2-3 year old games. Not really sure what good upcoming games there are and now it actually seems like the worst time to buy a GPU because if Vulkan takes off, AMD blows Nvidia out of the water, Nvidia does shit with Vulkan and DX12.

There's also so many different variables I don't know if Vulkan will take off, or if there will even be any games worth playing. This 480 isn't their high end GPU, I don't want to wait another year for that and the 1080 ti to choose from. The game I want to play most is GTA V, I've waited so long to play it, I don't want to wait another year for the next line of GPU's.

Plus in my country, an Asus 1080 is 1094 with tax. I don't want to buy it, then when the next GPU's come out, go through the trouble of selling it with a great loss. I'm hesitant to buy anything Nvidia because their jews, and AMD is just shit. I need a GPU that can do 1440p.

You need the GTX1070

wew lad

nvidia users everyone

lmao fam, nvidia has been shit for years in terms of price/performance at anything other than 1080p

Most people buying these will have a i5 from a few years ago. If you can afford an i7 you are not buying an RX480

you dont need a modern i7 you dumb coon, the i7 flagship has been the same fucking chip as the i5 flagship with hyperthreading enabled for the last 5 years. besides, all the cool kids are buying used xeons these days.

Yes but hyperthreading is what helps the RX480 and it's only in the last year people are buying i7's with high end cards.

people buying the RX480 will have an i5

In the end it doesn't fucking matter because if you can emulate dolphin with little to issues you're fine. A fucking I5 will run anything you throw at it and AMD CPU's do just fine outside some specific situations.

Nah, if I'm gonna buy something expensive, I might as well go all out and buy a 1080. I'm afraid if I wait for AMD's high end GPU, it will still trail behind the 1080. But I'm still indecisive. I didn't mean to write an essay and ramble on, it's just that we're at the beginning of Vulkan, and if the 1080 does shit with Vulkan I'm screwed in the long run.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q4VT3AzIBXSfKZdsJF94qvlJ7Mb1VvJvLowX6dmHWVo/edit#gid=0

so, basically better multithreaded? if that were true, AMD CPUs would stomp intel ones in that regard on account of the greater core count.
i was under the impression it greatly benefited from increased single threaded performance.

Unless you have a benchmark result comparing that 6700K with a contemporary and similarly-clocked i5, this is a retarded conclusion to draw.

The AMD cores are shit though.

they are, and they arent. the point of AMD bulldozer was to create an architecture suited to multithreaded loads, which it fantastically excels at, as indicated by GCC and 7z benchmarks, they were never intended as desktop chips until the retards in AMD marketing found out they could advertise themselves as having the first 8 core desktop chip. its all about the right chip for the load.

Yeah so it shows consistently that the 1060 might not break the 480 in every metric, but it breaks the 480 in most metrics. It's par for Vulkan, but NVidia also refuses to officially endorse Vulkan and gave it a quick once over then said "okay, we added it, stop requesting bombing our forums with this now."

Typically NVidia only officially supports something that shows widespread usage, they knew DX12 would get used without a doubt, but unless more games actually make use of Vulkan they don't have much reason to go out of their way to support it.

I really do hope that Vulkan takes off and fucks DX12's market stranglehold though.

need a new gpu

going to wait until rx 490 releases until i make a decision

or for that new brand of amd cards to release as well.
i forget what the hell they are calling em.

Trash.

Basically. There are very few pieces of equipment that are trash, and likewise, there are very few "buy this for 100$ and overclock the everliving shit out of it because lol Intel can't into binning" anymore.
On the CPU end, if you can afford like a 3570k or better, than grab one, but if you can't the FX 6200 and up are amazing.
GPUs are basically a question of morals at this point, since a lot of the offerings are very similar.

There's enough crossposting between here and 4chan that the two get lumped together by advertising/shilling corporations.

Fuckin sucks. HT costs me major FPS in DCSWorld, and causes menu stutters in DaSIII, but it improves performance for TOOT.

M$ never needed to buy publishers. The problem is that ever since Glide3D died. The documentation for OGL at the start was fucking awful while DX always had good documentation. That's why devs used it and learned on it.

The reason most devs are jumping to DX12 over Vulkan is because DX12 is really fucking well documented and M$ merged their PC dev support with Xbox dev support to just be one game dev support team. If you are a small indie, you can send an email or book a skype call for free if you need to show it in real time. If you are big enough and have problems on an AAA. M$ will fly an engineer or two on the DX12 team to your studio. Meanwhile Khronos made the same mistake and VK is poorly documented and with little support. You send an email looking for help with a problem and you will be waiting a week or two because there's limited resources and asking in the community just ends up with bitchy devs saying their way is right.

Devs are using DX 12 not because M$ are paying them. But because M$ are saving them money. That's the big difference and why there's a gap.

That iD programmer getting blasted by devs because AMD paid for Khronos engineers to go on site and they had all that Bethesda money. Most devs don't have the luxury/budget to use Vulkan while it's documentation and implementation is fucking attrocious at the minute (There isn't even an official starter guide. Khronos is expecting people to do all the work for them and make their own git repositories) because it means more time and money spent that could be saved to improve the game.

I'd feel sorry because technically that iD guy was right in there's no reason to use DX12. But Khronos made the same mistakes and Vulkan is as free as "free beer" as it currently stands with the amount of extra time and money developers don't have that need to be put in.

eteknix.com/sapphire-nitro-rx-480-oc-8gb-graphics-card-review/

LOL max 1360mhz still worse then the 1060

I was looking forward to see what this card would do, but it's very underwhelming. More expensive than a 390X but with slightly worse performance.

Polaris in general has been pretty disappointing, and Vega will no doubt be Fury-X2.0

thats not how processors work

read a book, nigger

pcworld.com/article/3098825/components-graphics/sapphire-nitro-rx-480-review-polaris-rethought-and-refined.html?page=3

Can't beat a reference gtx1060

AMD's shils where saying it would hit 1520mhz no issues and it can't even get past 1360mhz is the point

JUST

clock speed is fucking irrelevant between architectures as radically different as these.

Yes I am comparing reference 480's to the customs cooled ones shills where saying where the overclockers dream at 1500mhz overclocks.

Once again AMD disappoints, people saying wait custom ones will be better then the 980ti just wait.

AMD doesnt work that way, and the people thinking they can get massive overclocks on GCN are retards.

GCN is optimized for massive parallel computation, whereas nvidias is built to chase clock speed at the expense of parallel computation capability. this is why AMD has consistently destroyed nvidia in tasks like bitcoin mining since the 7970 was released, and why AMD cards scale far more linearly than nvidia cards with resolution. GCN is a superior general parallel computation architecture, that much is unquestionable at this point, that it doesnt achieve the same clock speed is irrelevant, because a slight jump in clock means a fuckload more on GCN than it does on nvidias shit.

Fuck off shill. Do your own goddamn work.

New Doom is a good game

Wait, he married? Like, to a real human being?

!

Unless you have a ultra-wide monitor or some kind of extreme setup it's not.

As a general rule never pay more than 1000 for the total cost of the rig components. The top of the line GPU'S have a massive price premium and are usually outdated in a year or two.

For the GPU always buy one or two tiers down, normally in the 200 to 300 price range.
Buy more CPU then you need as they tend to last for at least 4 years and are harder to replace
Don't overspend on ram, standard timing will preform the same as super fast timings since games aren't limited by ram speed but rather amount
If you sell your GPU after about 1.5 years you can usually recoup at least half the cost and then use that towards a new faster gen card
Never skimp out on cooling and the PSU, everything needs to be cool, quiet, and stable.

Speaking from experience as someone who had a crossfire fully water-cooled rig I have to say a super beefed up system isn't worth it but having a decent rig is great since unlike consoles you have greater control over the quality of the game and can play at 60+ FPS which is noticeably better not to mention other stuff like being ably to use KB and mouse in FPS games or custom controllers (great for me since I have large hands and the PS controls are tiny).

Personal taste issue, everyone is different; remember the flame wars over Witcher 3?

Personally I would recommend
Witcher 3
Xcom 2
Starcraft 2
Ori and the Blind forest
MGR Revengeance
GTA V
Metro 1 & 2
Beyond Good and Evil
Valkyria Chronicles
Dishonored

and so on, I also recommended having a strong CPU sinceyou will need it for emulators which will let you play PS2 and GC games at 1080p now and the PS3, Wii U, and Xbox360 emulators will likely be playable by January

some of the PS3 emulated games are already playable

Is this CPU or GPU bound

emulators are almost always CPU bound and by a large margin at that, you will still need a decent gpu (gtx 960/r9 280) for PS3 and xbox360 titles to emulate properly; opencl support is a big plus and Vulkan support is a must for the latest gen of emulators to work properly.

Reminder that the 780ti launched at $699 less than three years ago and one generation later it was being beaten by $200 cards. Never buy top of the line especially not top of the line Nvidia unless you enjoy getting kiked out of performance by driver updates as soon as there's a new line of cards out.

I have and i3 3220, was thinking of buying a new GPU to replace my 560ti. But going from the graph it makes out the RX480 will preform really poorly on a dual core system.

Would I be best to just buy the GTX1060?

ASync on or off?
AMD performs better with ASync on.

Reports seem to say say only with an top end i7, I have an i3 which reports are saying AMD get poor performance on while the GTX1060 still delivers.

I cannot afford to replace my CPU with an i7.

Better visuals and lots of indie stuff, plus the added benefit of good multitasking.
Good luck shitposting AND playing on nogaems 4.
Oh, and gaems, lots of them from up to 20 years ago. Steam has over 10,000 games so I doubt there will be issues finding something to play.

For 50 dollars more you get 10-20 fps more, is it worth it?

The video linked kinda debunks a lot of the bullshit reviews also. Yes, the 1060 is more powerful but only slightly so.

Oh boy, I can't wait to spend hundreds of dollars on latest hardware that will allow me to turn up the graphics in all the modern triple ayy garbage!

modern i3s are absolutely weak as fuck though compared to even low end i5s

But they cost the same in my country and the only 480's I can get are reference ones.

But it seems the GTX1060 works fine with i3's and i5's only the RX480 tanks on mid range hardware.

AMD graphics require a decent CPU to take advantage of them, thats just the way it is

Why then are then only making low end GPU's if you need a high end CPU?

If I could afford a high end CPU, I would buy a GTX1080 to go with it.

Looks like I need to get the GTX1060 as that works perfect with mid-range CPU's. A mid-range GPU that works with a mid-range CPU seems like the logical thing to make, what where AMD thinking making a mid-range GPU that needs an i7.

bang for buck
at this point a 480 and an i5 is all you need for 1080p gaming

dont be fooled by the i7 bollocks, the i7s are just an i5 with a fancy scheduler built into it so its 4 physical cores spend less total time idling, waiting for other tasks to complete.

well, with regards to the flagship at least

But the performance of the RX480 tanks on i5's in Vulkan in doom, it's worse then the GTX1060 on i5's.

You need the i7 to make the card perform better in doom. But who would buy an i7 and a RX480?

that sounds like a thing that shouldnt be, i can only guess theyve got performance issues they need to iron out there, because that shouldnt be a thing assuming the i5 and i7 are flagship parts of the same generation

also, gib link to benchmarks in question

My 660ti broke and I couldn't get NuDoom's demo to 60 reliably without downscale. Not that I'll be playing NuDoom.

I'm thinking of getting RX 480. I had to play Witcher 3 @ 720p to get 40-60ish fps which wasn't cool. I want to play the expansions @ 60 minimum reliably, 1080p, decent settings.

What CPU do you have? GTX1060 performs a lot better in Witcher 3.

So is the general consensus to get the GTX1060?

no, pick your card carefully for your use case, dont be a retard and buy a card because people on the internet decided one company has been "told" or whatever

this is a shill thread.
take this shit somewhere else

Not from the benchmarks I've seen.

I have i7 4770k

Why would you be buying a GTX1060 or RX480 if you can afford to blow money on a i7?

I got it 3 years ago. I don't have the money for computer parts anymore. hell, I'm not even getting the GPU myself. Someone who watches my stream is willing to donate the money.

not him, but not everybody is using his PC only for games, plus modern games sucks and a rx480/1060 is all you need

Are you retarded?

I think I am just going to get a GTX1070 or buy by my friends second hand 390x for $100

390x seems to be as powerful as the R480 but doesn't have the gimped Vulkan/DX12 problem of the RX480.

Is that like blast processing?

Blast processing is the term Sega used to capitalize on Genesis' more than twice the CPU frequency than SNES'. Hyper-threading is one of multiple solutions to an exceedingly crippling problem that plagues modern CPUs - instruction pipeline stall. No matter how sophisticated your instruction fetching algorithm is, it will always fail occasionally to predict the right chain, so the whole chain of already executed commands has to be discarded and the other -right- chain has to be loaded and re-executed. This is called "CPU stall" because instead of performing useful work, it has to wait on the memory, bus, etc. to fetch appropriate data, and on CPU time-scale it takes absolute fuckload of time. In the time it has to wait to re-execute a different chain it could have processed hundreds, sometimes thousands of useful operations. This is where hyper-threading comes in. It emulates two cores, each of which has it's own execution chain, but both share same logical processing unit. When one "core" stalls, the processor detects this and switches to the other, continuing execution with no waiting. When neither "core" stalls, the processor forcibly alternates them occasionally.

pc gaming is a scam anyway

are you fucking serious right now dude? fucking get that shit.
You will never find anything of that much value in terms of a GPU right now.

I assume it's not reference either because my 390X's were AIB

most 390X's were AIB*
also GCN GPUs age like fucking wine.
290X competitor was the GTX 780 and now it's well beyond GTX 780 Ti in permance and trades blows with the GTX 980 - a card that released in fucking 2013.

GCN in general ages really well, agreed. Forward thinking architecture at the expense of clockspeeds and power efficiency. The HD 7970 GHz Ed. almost catches up to the GTX 780 now. Whilst Nvidia cards stay stagnant soon after release performance wise (they don't go backwards as people claim), AMDs tends to gain extra ground from. AMD's drivers are single threaded, unlike Nvidia's which are multithreaded. So outside of the typical performance enhancements, AMD's cards become naturally better as games utilise multithreaded loads more efficiently. This also goes some way in explaining why AMD cards scale better with larger resolutions, where the CPU is progressively less of a bottleneck. At 1080p, the Fury X loses to the 980Ti decisively by about 10%. But in 4K, the situation is reversed. Of course, neither GPU has the horsepower to run 4K 60 fps ultra settings for most games, so it's just an academic point rather than a practical one.

Beyond that, there is DX 12/Vulkan. The new APIs focus on reducing CPU bottleneck, which is why AMD cards benefit much more than Nvidia ones even before we take asynchronous shading into consideration. The Doom Vulkan benches ought to be an edge case ideal scenario for AMD because no other game has replicated them, but they showcase the 390x keeping in touch with the GTX 980 Ti and the Fury X beating the GTX 1070 by 10-15% at 1080p.

Of course by the time most games take real advantage of the new APIs, Nvidia will have an architecture that deals with it better. So this advantage for AMD isn't permanent. And it's not like it can bridge any performance gap that exists. 1080 is still unbeaten after all. But it means that GCN AMD cards have a much longer shelf life over their Nvidia equivalents, at least until Volta. Example: an overclocked R9 290x from 2013 will still be relevant for 1080p 60 fps ultra settings discussions in 2017. That's pretty cool.

When is the next proper AMD GPU architecture change? If it's due soon I am guessing GCN will start to fall off once the new one comes in.

Navi at the earliest for the high end (2018). Vega will use GCN 4.0, like the RX 480. I'm a bit worried about Vega 10 though, I don't think the 4096 shader core unit rumoured will even match the GTX 1080, let alone beat it. If we look at the RX 480, it beats out the R9 290x by maybe 10% if it's not throttling. The R9 290x has 22% more cores, but the RX 480 has a 26% higher clockspeed.

The Fury X already has 4096 shader cores, and lags behind the GTX 1070. So if it wants to beat the GTX 1080, it's going to need a clockspeed of like 1.5 GHz. Can't imagine what that would do to power and temps since you'd need to pump a lot of voltage for GCN to get that high. I feel like the RX 480 is bottlenecked in other ways though, only 32 ROPs, etc. So maybe increasing that number to 64/96/128 will help. But I can't help think that people who are hoping that Vega 10 will dethrone the GTX 1080 or GTX 1080 Ti that Nvidia might pull out will end up disappointed, and that a proper competitor to these cards won't show up until a Vega 11 next year.

RX480 is gimped in DX12/Vulkan it performs worse then the r390 in those.

It seems odd they are pushing it as the card of the future when it does worse then the r390 in the new api's.

The r390 is the same price as the RX480 does the same with DX11 but does way better with DX12/Vulkan.

It's odd that the R390 and R390x are more future proof then the RX480 at the same price.

Mate I could wrap a black tie around my waist and call myself Bruce Lee and it would mean more. Look at that fucker's skinny-fat arms. He has a base 50% chance of dying in a fight regardless of who the opponent is. Fucking mass produced self-defense.

interesting posts man, its nice to have some people here who actually know what theyre talking about

uncharted 4 looks better

Now I don't know what to do, the AMDs seem to do terrible with the i5 CPU's.

I heard nudoom multiplayer is stand on its own and is adrenaline filled. I don't like the franchise though.

thats a shit benchmark there

Less ROPs, less cores. DX12/Vulkan performance gains for AMD comes from utilising idle processor cores, so with an RX 480, there's less to gain. Nothing to back that up, just a guess. As for why, it's a smaller card, easier to mass produce. It's "new". I'm still thinking that a cutdown R9 Nano type card would've been a better RX 480 than Polaris. Save Polaris for the RX 460 and 470 (which feels like the actual Polaris flagship to me). Dunno if that would've been cost effective though.

It's a cherry picked edge case that probably isn't replicated by most people even with i5s, but touches on something that is an actual issue affecting people.

That'd be the issue with single threaded drivers I mentioned in . AMD haven't implemented multithreaded command lists for their drivers in DX 11 (it's an optional feature), meaning that the driver overhead maxes CPU usage out, causing a bottleneck. The reason for this likely has to do with the fact that AMD is dirt poor. Nvidia had to tailor drivers for each major game release for a couple of years before they were able to implement universal multithreaded drivers. AMD used to have months without drivers altogether, let alone one for each new big release. Even now they update constantly but can't afford WHQL certification except for big driver updates. They relied on Mantle as their gambit to dig themselves out of this mess, created their architecture around the concept and it's going to pay off soon. DX 12/Vulkan isn't really AMD crushing Nvidia, it's basically unfucking up their shit and allowing the GPUs to run the way they should have from the start.

In constrast Nvidia's drivers are often very good performance wise out of the box, but stagnate quickly because there's little more to improve. Whereas AMD has long tail performance increases as drivers steadily become better optimised for the entire GCN architecture and the weight of Vulkan/DX 12 games begin to shift aggregate performance numbers. I haven't seen a lot of cases where AMD GPUs paired with lower end CPUs are smacked around by 30-40% compared to equivalent Nvidia products, but I may test it out and come back with my results later in the week if this thread is still around (i5s are i7s without HT, so it's easy to "emulate" i5 results by disabling HT).

Pic related is that API Overhead 3DMark bench that got released a while ago. You can see that AMD's draw calls do not increase at all when moving from single threaded to multithreaded DX 11, whereas Nvidia cards get a ~10% increase. They all explode once DX 12 is dropped into the equation, AMD moreso, but they aren't indicative at all of real world performance. Just helps to illustrate why AMD gains for Vulkan/DX 12 can be so significant depending on the title compared to OpenGL/DX 11 and what kind of impact their single threaded drivers have on their ability to perform.

its a terrible choice of chips, theyre comparing a flagship i7 against an i5 that isnt even the same part, thereby misrepresenting the issue at hand.

Any more news about when the GTX 1080 Titan will come out?

I considered the 1080 but it appears it can't pull 4K at 60fps, so I'm going to wait until the Titan releases, drops in price and 4K displays get at least 120Hz actual refresh rate, then I will get my 4K mustard setup.

Because rumors have it that the Titan is 50% stronger than the 1080

Idtech engines
Idtech drivers
Idtech interface

idtech in recent time is shit with texture streaming, I couldn't play the new order cause of it.

Just like my japanese animes

Speak for yourself fam, i upgraded from haswell to skylake for that sweet extra 15%

Old 32nm cpus vs damn near true 14nm cpus.
If it were multi-threaded performance on the same lithography, then we'd see a real fight. But at this point it's
probably driver overhead.

They're not that expensive, especially if you buy no-name or gray market, you can pick up 1440p 144Hz LCDs with adaptive sync for under $300, IPS or 4k 60Hz under $400.

exactly my point my man

Reminder that buying denuvo games only makes sony more powerfull

DO NOT BUY A 144Hz mointor if your system cat run games a 144 fps or higher

you are much better off buying a 60 hz monitor.

i have a aftermarket 1080 the system has a hard time staying above 120 fps on many games. some games just can't run at that speed.

nah fam, used xeons are where its at right now in terms of price/performance

Monitors last a lot longer than cards and you type like a fag.

This guy knows what's up.

Which Xeon should one buy?

That, plus you can run older games at maxed settings even on a potato and play videos with SVP if you like that sort of thing.

Its a man, baby

e5-1650 v1 for the cheapest sandy bridge xeon worth gaming on
dual e5-2670 if you want some kind of 16 core 32 thread monster you can also game with, though the clock speed may be a problem if you play games that require a good bit of single threaded grunt and use AMD graphics with them
if you go this route youve got 2 choices for boards, chipset 602/606 for server ATX boards with support for DDR3 ECC, which can be had for half the price per GB of standard DDR3, and x79, which allows you to overclock the e5-1650 both by bclk and multiplier
the e5-1650 when it first was put to the test was known to hit 5 GHz at sane voltages, they were that well binned, but it has been a few years now and ebay sellers may be buying them in bulk, keeping the good chips for themselves, and selling on the lesser ones
dont be worried about the low frequencies ECC run at, the quad channel will mean you have much more RAM bandwidth regardless

e5-1650 v3 if you want x99, though im not sure whether or not xeons run as well on x99 as they did x79
im not sure about boards for these, the CPUs arent yet old enough for them to be great bang for buck like the sandy bridge, and to a lesser extent ivy bridge ones are

dont even think about buying non-standard server boards, chances are they have some horrid little quirk either in the hardware or software that will fuck your day right up, spend the extra and get a standard form factor one from a company like supermicro instead if you want to go with a server chipset

also
i should add, dark souls 3 stutters with the 2670 on account of the low frequency.

What, it's like a 300 dollar CPU.

Less if you bundle it with a mobo on newegg.

Don't do that to the kid man, what the fuck.

The only good thing I can say about them is their remote-management isn't fucking garbo.

Unlike HP trash

When's AMD's high end card come out? I want to see how it compares to the 1080 and it might be a safer investment with Vulkan coming out as it performs much better than Nvidias cards.

There are videos of him choking people out, mate.

ive little actual experience with server kit, but ive rocked a 2670 setup and a 1650 setup on a supermicro board and had it work just fine

what this shows is that the 1060 is all around the better card but the fact that it's architecture cannot make good use of the parallelized way dx12/vulkan allows CPU cores to feed the gpu makes the user get almost no benefit from a slight increase in single core performance, a 10% increase in a single core is welcomed and will bottleneck the nvidia gpu less but it's nothing compared to 40% when you have all 4 cores feeding the amd card and it's better async compute. Basically if you bumped that 6700k's clockspeed to a retarded value like 15ghz and it no longer was bottlenecking the nvidia graphics card it would get better performance.
Does pascal actually feature a built in ARM processor like nvidia promised? They had the right idea there since it meant the card could rely on it's built in cpu instead of having to interface with the system's one which came with huge latency and wasted cycles

in my experience asrock is a really good low price motherboard manufacturer. early asrock used to be shit but now they're better than gigabyte for instance.

What kind of shitty bait is this

Whomever made this should fucking kill themselves

I run an oc i5 760 with Nvidia runs perfect, why would I upgrade it just to used AMD hardware that is worse then nVidia anyway?

i want jontron to give me a blowjob

do asrock do server kit?

What would you guys recommend for me?

What cpu do you own?

Post ate my picture.

Older i5 that is not overclockable, GTX1060 for sure and AMD will perform poorly on your GPU.

some more RAM, a proper monitor, and a decent graphics card

I see no reason to stop using my i5 3570k.

Damm right it's a good GPU and nVidia preforms the same on any CPU. If you buy AMD though unless you have latest i7 it will do poorly.

thats because you have no reason

dont be a retard

We can see in the OP's graph on anything but the i7 it does massive drops in performance and performs way worse the the GTX1060.

GTX1060 does the same on all the CPU's like how it should be.

In eu its in general a good idea to buy mid-high end card, the tax is what it is but each card has to be shipped, warehoused and handled by people.
The lower the cost the more you pay relative to its price for shipping and handling. So in general the more powerful GTX cards are better.
In US if you get a 220$ rx480 its obviously the best value for money tho.

what we can see is that the dipshit who made it doesnt know how to do meaningful benchmarks

well yeah, if you shop around

I'm reminding my sister WHY we do not use the TV as a Monitor.

I should have a proper monitor soon, though.

getting a korean 1440p IPS? they come in 144Hz now with freesync

Dude, you should be able to pick up better monitors than that for $10 from local thrift shops, unless you're in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

Will Deus Ex work better with nvidea or AMD

why does she have control over that anyway? you should undress her and assert your male dominance with your penis

Flex those muscles

What are you talking about? Doom runs just fine on a 486.

Never go full retard user.

its literally not a big deal, fam

Doom 2016 is a pretty damn good game. Well, the campaign is. But not much replayability, and multiplayer is not fun.

You would be better with 8gb of faster ram , then 16gb of shit slow ram.

nigger you dumb
even ddr2 won't cause you performance issues

You're being retarded because that's not true. It wouldn't influence the fps, but would influence loading speed of some stuff.

earlier i thought you were retarded now i'm aware you are just pretending

8gb works for anything 16gb is never needed, while games like fallout4 shit the bed with slow ram.

1333MHz RAM is fine, quit being a little bitch

We've got IDs here faggot. Try playing some games with ddr2 and then with ddr3.

i'm onto you john

Due to a variety of factors in PC design (mostly hardware lagginess) RAM throughput/latency doesn't make as big a difference as it used. For instance, look at this article:
extremetech.com/gaming/222483-how-much-ram-do-you-need-should-you-upgrade-it-and-will-it-speed-up-your-pc

It notes that a 43%-50% increase in RAM clocks produced game FPS gains of only 2%-22%. Even Fallout 4 only gained 16%. In comparison, the same amount of money needed to get DIMMs, mobo, & cooling capable of handling really fast RAM give much better performance returns spent on other components, unless you're building a rig so beefy you've exhausted the diminishing returns on every other type of component.

techspot.com/review/1089-fallout-4-benchmarks/page6.html

Huge performance with normal and fast ram

And yet this old i5 is still a top of the line CPU with no need to upgrade in the future even in sight

Unless he wants to use a AMD card then he needs to upgrade to an i7.

I'm pretty sure an OC'd 2500k can keep up with the current gen

With nvidia cards yes, with AMD no, AMD gpu's need a skylake i7 to get reasonable performance.

look at op's graph, gtx1060 stays the same on all cpu's, AMD only does well on the i7.

I have a 390X and an FX8350, and my computer runs anything that doesn't have Goyworks at the highest settings. AMD GPUs run just fine without a skylake.

Your 390x would work better on an i7 though, your 390x would beat GTX970 on the i7 but on the 8350 it's gimpedband the GTX970 will trash your 390x.

You should buy an i7 you will get huge performance gains with your gpu.

Only on AMD Radeon(tm)

There is an very, very good option on the market called "don't buy anything and stop being a graphic whore pansy" as well.
It allows you to play over 8000 great games from several systems on your own machine, assuming it don't catch on fire while trying to load a 4chan thread.

And it's free!

You need a pretty nice GPU to play games like Dragon's Dogma at 1440p 60fps with an ENB to fix the ugly grey post-processing. At least that's my reason.

look up the god damn part numbers you fucking halfwit, these arent fair comparisons

Living the dream

Wait for red team to ketchup and they're release a 1070-tier card for a reasonable price.

specs?

Why would you pay almost double for

Got any links for doing that? I still play DD, it's a god-tier game.

enbdev.com/download_mod_dragonsdogma.htm

nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma/mods/13/?tab=1&nav

Literally just an ENB. The colours look so much better with it though, it's such a huge difference. Dragon's Dogma is easily in my top three of all time, but it's not a pretty game.

If I upgraded every year or so, I would probably go Nvidia. But Nvidia GPUs are simply outclassed by GCN after a year, to the point.

There is absolutely no reason to get an Nvidia GPU unless you upgrade annually, and at that point you might as well just donate to Jen-Hsun Huang leather jacket fund.
Hell, you might get $30 back for buying a gimped GPU like the GTX 970

IF YOU PURCHASED A GTX 970 BE SURE TO CLAIM YOUR $30 REIMBURSEMENT FROM THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST NVIDIA FOR FALSE ADVERTISING.

Not sure where the link is or if it's available but free $30 is free $30.

For what raisin?

AMD performance increase is not due to drivers it's due to benchmarks being done on better cpu's

when the 290x was released it was benched on a i5 of the time, now it's benchmarked on a i7 so does better.

It still performs worse the the gtx780 on the i5 even today. I would never buy AMD gpu's unless you upgrade to top of the line CPU's every year.

I want to get an adaptive refreshrate monitor down the line, and i don't want to get locked in to Nvidia jewery for a long time, so the only real option is a freesynch monitor, but there is no AMD card that currently performs between a GTX1060-GTX1070 at competitive pricing and other factors(power/heat/noise).
How long until the 490 is unveiled? i wanted to upgrade right now and not in 6 months.
Why doesn't the perfect card exist?

The people doing benchmarks are this incompetent?

CPU is not the bottle neck, it's AMD are just shit at getting stuff to work.

why should you need an skylake i7 for the RX480 to get the same performance as the gtx1060. on an older cpu the gtx1060 performes the same while the rx480 do way worse the the gtx1060.

Sure if you buy a top of the line CPU each year go AMD.

gotta go shill

The real question is how well optimised will AMD's offering be once they release their new CPU?

What are some good games to benchmark?

I buy new games anymore so I'm a little out of the loop.

I've got a GTX 670 and an HD 7870 Myst (cut down HD 7950) laying around, and my OC'd 2600k can easily be turned into an OC'd 2500k simply by disabling HT. So I could probably test both of the things being talked about here. Namely that AMD ages better than Nvidia, and that AMD GPUs suffer heavily on weaker CPUs.

I expect the GTX 670 to beat the HD 7870, but it beat it on release by ~15%, will be interesting to see where it ends up now. Not sure what to test though. Go for the usual suite (Doomed, GTA V, Todd's Lies 4, etc) or for something different and maybe more relevant to Holla Forums?

*barely buy new games anymore

Just benchmark a Crysis game or something.

Do doom on opengl and vulkan. Do games with benchmarks like rise of the Tombraider, GTA5 and the likes.

It's important to test what the main sites test so stick with the main stuff.

Nudoom on opengl and vulkan with that test system would be nice to see.

did you start?

Can you guys help me improve on this build my friend sent me? He forgot the RAM

• i7 is way too much CPU for gaming with a 970, don't bother going i7 unless you're either pairing it with multiple much stronger GPUs (that mobo only has one x16 slot!) or doing something non-gaming-related that you know is CPU-intensive.
• For the same budget, go i5/AMD and put the ~$180 into a stronger GPU like a GTX 1070.
• Don't forget the cooler! Also, do not trust stock CPU coolers or the thermal paste they're attached with, get a 3rd-party one, thermal paste, and apply it properly.
• 7200RPM HDD is overkill without SDD. Get big cheapo HDDs and RAID them, then (if you don't already have one) get an SSD to boot off.
• RAM isn't super important for gaming, 6-8GB is fine, speed doesn't usually matter.
• Never, ever buy computers or their parts new if you can help it, an hour spent on eBay or whatever looking through listed offers will cut most prices to ~2/3, and under ~1/2 with auctions. I've never found warranties all that useful for electronics, and the risk of buying used is minimized with RMAs, I've never been ripped off.
• Unless you want to keep them functional for some reason, don't be afraid to cannibalize your old rig(s) for parts and sell the rest. No need to buy a case or PSU when you don't have to.

Not yet, I forgot that DX 12 only works with W10. So that's put me back a bit. But I'll probably have something by the end of the week. Will make a new thread if this one is gone by the time I'm finished.

Arma 3 with ACE and a shit-tonne of other mods, I also quite enjoy having a nice and smooth experience in LEGO Worlds.

Absolutely true, though if whoever is building this wants to Play Arma (2 or 3) an i7 and GTX970 is a good call.

Should I replace my 750ti this generation or should I hold onto my shekels another year?

Nothing more is rumored to happen in GPUs until Q4 2016, when minor additions to current-gen like the RX 490 & GTX 1080 Ti will probably appear, more importantly also when AMD's Zen CPU launch is expected (forcing down the price of Intel CPUs too), causing last-gen hardware of all kinds to flood the used market as everyone upgrades. Truly new GPUs (Volta & Navi) won't ship until well into 2017 at the very earliest.

In that light, so far as GPUs are concerned there is little reason to wait if you're going to get a current-gen card. Even if you're going for last-gen, prices have already started dropping.

750ti is fine for 1080p unless you have the extra money to spend.