Civ V: Almost Dead Edition

Been forever since I've seen any kind of discussion on the game.

Best Civs?

Best victory type?

Best mods?

I started a new game to have Germany nuke spooks and kebabs. Although I admit the game is really fucking boring until like 300 turns in amd you can actually do anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

strategywiki.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri/Getting_Started#Infinite_City_Sprawl
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've found 8-10 player games on difficulty 6 with standard or epic game length to be cozy as fuck. Hemispheres best map: it's like continents but half the states are on islands and half are on the continents so there's plenty of space and water exploration is good. Sometimes the continents are connected via island chains.

I like Ethiopia shoshone Spain and someone else

VI will be the best civ ever

:^)

See, for me it's the opposite. I have the most fun in the early game when it's nice and comfy, and I can watch my fledgling civilisation grow.

I've never actually finished a game.

All ah ya all be bitches and hoes cause SMAC fo lyfe!

Ethiopia best civ.
The Stele is the best UB imo

It's fun in the early game and the late game. Midgame is where it's really fucking boring and you're mostly just watching progress bars fill up.

I wouldn't know.

Essentially what said. There isn't much of anything to do but research, and probably saving up faith. The only worthwhile thing you can do is bend over and be the city states's bitch and gain favor for late game. Or at least do that as Greece for a garaunteed win. But even that is uninteresting as your cities aren't comfy or huge yet, and all the medevial units are trash.

What is this strategy called and how does it work?

strategywiki.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri/Getting_Started#Infinite_City_Sprawl
Its an old classic easymode. Works best with Yang he's immune to the inefficiency so can run police state with planned economy without any penalties, offsetting the extra drones from all those towns, though also good with Gaian's high natural effeciency means it takes longer before the bureaucracy starts giving penalties Lal, the all that pop counts for double in the planetary council and fewer drones Morgan each base gets bonus income and it makes for a monstrous military unit production machine, especially when combined with dirt cheap infantry.
Its essentially a win button.

bump

WHY

Doo doo
Pee pee
Civ5 is a bad game.

ICS / Infinite City Sprawl

It's a winning strategy in Civ 5 multiplayer too, but you'll have to contend with happiness so you want a civ with either high faith generation (Mayans, Celts, anyone in Desert or Tundra tiles, anyone with at least 2 natural wonders or 1 if it's Spain) or free happiness buildings (Egyptians). High faith generation means you start plopping Pagodas and Mosques in every city.

As for how ICS works, it's pretty simple: You rev up batshit insane amounts of science and production and gold and end up drowning enemies in an endless wave of units. Most Civ games end up rewarding you for developing a ton of cities.

The main problems of an ICS strategy in Civ 5 are happiness, gold upkeep costs, weaker international trading, and higher science and culture costs. Happiness is typically handled through happiness buildings and luxuries and religion in particular or unique buildings (Egyptian Burial Tombs give +2 happiness) plus the Meritocracy policy in the Liberty tree. Gold upkeep can be handled easily enough by taking Church Property for your Founder belief or a faction with higher gold generation (Chinese Paper Makers). Bad international trade routes due to smaller pop cities I tend to ignore by just turning my trade routes into internal naval trade routes for batshit insane production and growth bonuses. Science can be boosted by taking Messengers of the Gods as your pantheon or by using some high science civ (Babylon, Mayans) or by using the Liberty finisher for a Great Scientist (but I prefer to spend it on a Great Prophet to pop religion without investing into faith) or just by rushing a fast Library which will hopefully also pop you a GS down the road. Culture growth is either addressed by religion or Civ (ie. play as Polish or Mayans for free GPs).

It is also possible to ICS with Tradition tree if you are still making a big capital (internal trade routes will do it) for the gold and happiness and free buildings and ability to faith-purchase GEs.

The best civ for ICSing is most likely Mayans because they get high faith generation from their Shrine replacement and +2 science which means they will generate both religion and science fast and they get free Great Persons too. Especially if you give your Mayans the Messengers of the Gods pantheon at which point every new city with a Pyramid gives you +4 science giving you explosive science generation from city spamming and the faith generation and free GPs will help you pop religion before long.

im interested to see how it develops, but im sure my head will be filled with lies and speculation soon enough

Civ4+BeyondSword
Louis XIV is best leader because I love culture. Cultural Victory sucks, though.
I usually end up trying the spaceship victory because I run out of time.

My favorite run is playing an Earth-like world (Big old continent and around 1500AC I move to the new world which is filled with barbarians but has no proper civs). I play full turtle-mode until I create Caravels, at which point I invade (colonize) the new world and use its resources and new cities to forge an unrivaled empire. Two centuries later I can declare war against the whole planet.

I'm looking forward to Civ6. Can't be worse than Civ5 right guys?

idk what you are trying to bait for

the changes in VI look pretty good so far and the only bad stuff I've seen yet is the Aztecs not having a human sacrifice ability and the over-saturation of the terrain

It will probably be fun about a year after its release. By that point, the initially-terrible game will have been made enjoyable by two expansion packs that Sid Shekelgrubbermeier could have put in the game on release. And there will hopefully be a graphics overhaul mod that makes the game not look like Clash of Clans.

assuming the tpp doesnt get through and ruin everything forever