Why are normalfags so fucking obbessed with Star Wars?

I watched the original trilogy for the first time and it's absolutely nothing special. I watched the preequels yesterday and they're actually quite bad. I watched TFA and Rogue One earlier today and they're even worse.
I'm so confused, I know people who have Star Wars plushies, Star Wars clothing, Star Wars phones and everything but this seems like an extremely mediocre series.
Why? What caused all the attention? Why is it so legendary?

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=drSqtw0Qywk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

le geek culture face

TV was boring in 1977, cutting edge special effects no one had ever seen before, credible actors that managed to pull off the shit dialogue of A New Hope with some degree of charisma.

normalfags are obsessed with whatever get the most marketing money spent on it, because that's where their 'original' thoughts come from, the ads they see.

if this isn't bait then you're pretty stupid. It's like not enjoying American cheese so then you go buy a brick of Velveeta and a case of spray cheese and are surprised you didn't like those either

This. When asking older gen x and boomers I got the same answers over and over. Dude cutting edge special effects lmao. Or the two suns mind = blown. It lasted well into 2000s, OT fanboys who played SWG stayed on Tatooine most of the time because of two suns and Eisley cantina.

The fx weren't that special. 2001 already did it over a decade earlier. It was just the first time the big impressive space fx were in a popcorn movie.

The hell it wasn't. 2001 spawned nothing, while SW opened up a whole new genre. Effects looking nice does not mean they are better or as good as a real live action movie. At no time before had anyone seen a realistic special effects battle. Sci Fi was a perpetual B genre because of it. Until SW.

For it's time, Star Wars was a pretty amazing milestone for movies. A lot of the technology used today for special effects and CGI would not be possible without Star Wars and Lucasarts. Now that Hollywood is shitting out movies with 100 times the budget of the original SW movies every other week, it seems a lot less impressive.

What you're witnessing now is commodification. When Lucas came back with the prequel trilogy, he was partly trying to push special effects technology forward again, but also looking for that sweet toy dosh, which is what made him rich in the first place. It's why the prequel movies were so toyetic and tried to introduce new characters and vehicles and oh so many jedi.

Now that Disney has the rights and now that being an "OMG SUCH A GEEK LOL XD" is now a marketable gimmick, Disney is fully exploiting the nostalgia goggles everyone has for Star Wars. The demos they're after are a small portion of fans who saw the movies when they first came out who want to relive their childhood, but the bigger market are people who want a geeky accessory to wave around and people who want to feel like they were apart of something as big and historically relevant as the original Star Wars movies. They very, very badly want these movies to be around for the next 50 years, with people fondly referring to Rey and Kylo Ren the same way people talk about Luke and Darth Vader. They paid billions of dollars for this property and now they're going to milk it as much as possible. Normalfags are just so pitiful that they are lining up for the chance to guzzle down this soulless slop.

The original trilogy had pretty good world-building. Not Tolkien-tier, but the autistic fanbase helped, and then you had the old LucasArts games that really sold Star Wars as a backdrop.

Normalfags, though? Space, special effects, lasers, etc.

Same reason no one who enjoys vidya wears merch, while normalfags wear Skyrim hoodies.
We are somehow trapped in a perpetual "I'm such a nerd XD" bullshit.
My theory is that it was popular at the time, solidified with the Internet going mainstream with mobiles (all it does is cement, and create echo chambers, nothing new has spawned) and corporations push it further with marketing for consumerism. Add in posers desperately trying to fit in, who then find entry level shit that instantly makes people recognise them, and you have the modern "fan".
Just look at SW, GoT, videogames, etc.

Certain things are immune due to their nature. E.g Pen and Paper games, too much effort for the adhd people, not enough to buy, not popular enough and they still consider it too nerdy while saying they are nerds.

came to post this, they think they're "nerdy" for watching that blockbuster that aims to catch the highest amount of plebs possible in its revenue networks

>can't even laugh at their (actual) fans becaust (((they're))) coming for my Tolkein
Just burn everything.

Because they don't realize that lotr and harry potter are better films

Back to reddit

Because Star Wars is for children. The average normalfag is so blind to their consumption that they approach Star Wars with the same juvenile enthusiasm because it's Star Wars, "one of the greatest movies of all time", even though it was a bog-standard adventure fantasy story with some inventive costumes.

Everyone is a fucking pleb and you are a mastermind OP, you don't like anything anyone else likes

Big round of applause for OP everybody, OP doesn't like Star Wars, which as we know is revolutionary and radical viewpoint that has never been shared before or since

The actual reason is it was an extremely creative work by a man who put a lot of thought into crafting a science-fiction heroes' tale and later expanding it into a trilogy (later a sextet) of films. The reason it fails to grip people so much today is because the imagery is so played out. People who have never seen Star Wars know Darth Vader, the Death Star, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca etc. all the elements no longer seem fresh or captivating because of exposure.

Can't wait until they rape everything. The game already had a black gondorian.

wew

Beren and Luthien will be interracial. But not the Elf/Human variant.
Morgoth will be the whitest guy ever, and will have a scene where he tortures an orc for being gay.
Anti industrial elements have characters talk about global warming.
Easterling are peaceful men seeking refuge from the darkness.

I'm just disappointed the estate didn't produce an autistic lore fanatic to watch over everything. It's not my ancestors legacy and I still got mad.

On the bright side I gained respect for Vigo (whatever his name) apparently Jackson wanted him in the Hobbit, he said it wasn't in the book so he turned it down. I admire that.

THIS
nobody had seen anything like it before
sure it was Flash Gordon tier cheese but something like that had never been tried on such a big budget, there were no popcorn flics like it back then
also
movie magic was actual magic backthen
nowadays any kid can watch anything on TV and explain the FX with the letters CGI, but back then nobody had the slightest idea how the fuck did George Lucas film those sceenes in space, nobody knew the trics behid the camera
people were entretained by the cheesy "hero's journey in space" story and they were marveled by FX they couldn't understand
starwars grew big for the same reason that superman did
it was the first of it's kind and had no competition, and no matter how many better ones came after it, nostalgia fag would always uphold the originals as sacrosaint, then as this stuff began conquering the mainstream the fandom got floodede with hippster possers who wanted to pretend like they've always been the most hardcore fanboys, even though they just wanted to hop into the latest trendiest bandwaggon

2001 influenced the whole sci fi genre with its groundbreaking special effects, many filmmakers inlcuding Lucas himself were inspired by it

wrong

John Carter is superior to Star Wars

john carter is swords and sorcery disguiced as scifi

What about 2001? It came out in the 60's and had better effects.
Fuck, what about Forbidden Planet? That was a 1950's movie and the effects hold up to this day.
"muh effects" isn't an excuse.

So is Dune and The Fifth Element.

I believe the term you are looking for is 'space opera'.

I don't get it.

Tolkien and Star Wars are shit. Storytelling for the masses has always been trash, since the days of the Grimm Brothers.

For the record, I did read The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and LOTR (am actually reading The Two Towers again currently). I've never played the games or anything though

Except he's recognized by scholars as one of the last great western authors and his works are on the level of the Iliad and homer, you're not smart just because you're a reactionary kneejerker, you're right there dead center in the pseudo-intellectual mid range IQ zone

You deserved these dubs.

hey man fellow anti-NASA faggot but couldn't pic one be easily explained by the focal length of the camera lenses and perspective used to take the picture being different?

Instead of apologetics try common sense. According to michio kaku the second light source in the Apollo 11 pics are attributable to the Earth being so massive and bright in the lunar sky.
hooktube.com/watch?v=drSqtw0Qywk
So impressive buzz aldrin didn’t even bother turning around to take a picture of it. Also anyone with photoshop can see for themselves that apollo 17 “pic” is a composite.

TRUE RADICAL CENTRISM HAS NEVER BEEN TRIED.

I never understood this well, obviously a lot of people don't. People actually consider fucking DISNEY movies to be "nerdy" now.

Jewish brainwashing is a hell of a drug.