Friendly advice

Remember to unplug all your shit during a thunderstorm. You don't want all your consoles or PC to get fucked. Surge protectors don't always protect your stuff from lightning strikes.

Keep your vidya safe.

Thanks

This shit is what my grandma believes.
Never happens IRL unless you live in the 70s.

Listen to your grandma user.

But OP, there's nothing more comfy than play old vidya games in the basement while a violent storm rolls through

That's what handhelds and laptops are for.

I'd always play board games with my family when a thunderstorm hit, was maximum comf

Always remember to not let dust accumulate on your consoles or fans.

I've lost one freshly bought harddrive due to a lighting surge before, shit sucked mane. Didn't lose any other parts though.

Do not plug your computer directly into the wall if trees are likely to fall on the line connecting your house to the rest of the grid.
That shit can and will fry anything with a circuit board unless it's got some form of surge protection.

If a lighting bolt directly hits your house and travels through your electrical system all your stuff plugged in will be fried at the least.
Or it will make your electronics explode and put a large hole in your wall.

Do you live in a third world country or is this a joke? Lightning rods are supposed lead a direct house hit into the ground, and shit like a fuse box protects your house from overcurrents in case it hits a pole and goes through your line. The only thing you normally have to worry about is a blackout because your electricity provider sucks, leading to a possible RAM data loss.

Jokes on the lightning, I daisy chain surge protectors together for triple the protection

That's why I have TWO surge protectors, the surge wont see it coming.

I lost two computers in a year to this, so you can fuck right off retard.

never happens to anyone else. maybe god just hates you.

They do if your house is grounded properly.

Just kill me

Nigga, a fuse won't protect you from an lightning. It takes time to melt, and the lightning just went through miles of thin air to fuck your shit up, do you think that a slow ass fuse will save your computers ass from something fast as light ?

You forgot to tell to unplug phone lines.
you are absolutely right.
My father lost router + Lan card a time ago as thunder pierced the house of a house 2 neighbors away.
One of our neighbors had his sockets out of his walls, and black traces all along the cables in the wall after that. Since Ten years this did not happened in my village, and now ten years have passed since, i am on my watch.

Shit is dead serious for your computer.
Either you have everything with some protection against lightnings that you trust, or unplug all of your shit.
Or else some hours of shitposting / gaming are worth more than several hundreds $ …

Too few people properly maintain their dusty outlets. I once saw a full grown man's computer tower light on fire because of dust. It was a mess.

Every goddamn time. Fuck I hate living in an area full of trees.

I AM THE STORM

I don't care because a ground rod protects my house, you poor niggers

What's the best way to clean them? Is compressed air a good idea?

Compressed air is good yeah, but failing that you can just blow on it yourself, or take a *slightly* damp rag to the vents. Depending on how dusty it gets where you live, it's a good idea to open up the whole tower from time to time and blow all the dust away.

Since you're this much of a casual pleb why not move back to ancient rome?

The city I live in gets more lightning than literally any other place on the continent. I think it's #2 in the world for most lightning.
So houses are very well-grounded, but I plug all my shit into surge protectors anyway.
Although the only real damage I've seen from surges was some broken lightbulbs.

Also, if you ever want to feel like you're the star of an action movie, try sailing alone in a one-man boat during a raging thunderstorm. It's a terrible decision, but you will feel like a god who is battling the sea itself.