Why Don't Other Games Do This?

But I don't understand why Splatoon is the only game to do this. DS4 controllers have a gyro in them(don't know about Xbone controllers) so why is Splatoon the only game that has gyro assisted aiming? It gives console shooters aiming a superior level of precision that(For Splatoon at least) is ALMOST as good as a mouse.
Nintendo makes a lot of stupid ideas when they experiment with concepts. But I honestly believe that gyro asisted aiming is one of the best things they've ever done. Has it not caught on simply because the "big boy" companies don't want mechanics in their "mature game for mature people like me" game borrowed from an E-rated Nintendo game?

Its called a mouse.

A number of early PS3 games had it, particularly for sniper rifle zooms.

it's called a Steam Controller

Because Gyro controls feels like ass to use.

Try playing Conduit 1/.2 and Goldeneye on Wii. that game got waggle controls down perfectly, to a point where the waggle wasn't a hindrance or an addition - instead, waggle introduced smoothness and fluidity that would not exist without it.

same with, for example, many DS games. so many just used the second screen as a generic map/health/status screen, but a few games got it's usage down perfectly and engaged players in a way other games couldn't. for example, twewy, hotel dusk.

i've heard there's a game on xbone that uses the kinect very well (called DDD - dark days something something. it's apparently a detective game). it's down to how good and strong a vision the designers have, and how competent the game developers are.

I think many developers are hesitant about it. I'd say analog sticks are 70% as good as a mouse, but gyro is like 95%.

The gyroscopes in the dualshock are dogshit so it doesn't work as well. I guess Sony didn't think anyone would try to use them for more than menu gimmicks or boob jiggle.

Analogue sticks aren't anywhere near that good, the games are just designed to make up for their shortcomings. Try using a controller on a PC shooter and see how well you do.

I have, I'd say once you become adept with analog sticks, understand techniques like claw grips, etc. when it comes to aiming, you are probably about 70% as good as you are compared to your skill with a mouse.

Nintendo fags could eat actual human feces and would justify it if there was a nintendo logo on it.

Keep outting yourself newfag

Reported for sonygger.

Reported for Steambot.

What game journalists mean by polish is play like every other game out there because game journalists don't have time to learn how to play games.

I can think of no reason a wiimote and nunchuck setup with two anologue sticks, and an adequate amount of buttons wouldn't be the perfect controller. Nintendo should have just done that instead of the whole two screens gimmick.

I think a traditional controller with gyro controls and a track ball replacing the right analog stick would be best.

TWEWY is the only DS game I'd say actually made touchscreen controls work well outside of EBA/Ouendan or dealing with menus. But even then, I'm not sure TWEWY was better for the touchscreen controls, just not harmed by them either. And I really could have done without the whole "battles on both screens" aspect entirely, ultimately I mostly just mindlessly button mashed the face buttons for the top screen stuff and thankfully, that got the job done. I never could have actually given both screens significant mental focus.

The only Wii shooters I played were Metroid Prime 3 Corruption and Red Steel, and in those games I was never sure if pointing to aim was better or worse than analog stick aiming. Seemed like the biggest weakness of pointer aiming was when it came time to make rapid turns, as opposed to just shifting your aim slightly. That was more awkward than analog stick turning. But, at least pointer aiming was good enough to be a sidegrade, I never found a single Wii game that wasn't markedly worse for waggle and all other uses of motion controls.

Anyway, I'm not opposed to new control options on principle, but they absolutely MUST be superior to what they're replacing. I don't care how novel it is if it doesn't work better, first and foremost.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask 3D.

I actually managed to kill every fucking giant Poe in one go around.
It used to take me 3-4 tries to do it on N64.
It's the main reason I bought splatoon.

There are so many problems with aiming up and down in a FPS game with a mouse. Dragging a fucking office tool over a flat 2D surface is not the optimal way to aim in a 3D environment. A mouse can't simulate an X axis narrowing the further up or down you aim and no amount of software crutches will compensate for that.

Reported for edginess

The IR pointer was a bit of a hassle at the end of the day. Metroid Prime and RE4 used it great, but they were built off of single analogue stick controls.
If more games learned from Metroid Prime and Locked the screen in place when they held down the shoulder button, it would've been a better generation for nintendo.

Gyroscope control just works better though, and not having to aim something directly at the TV makes it so much more comfortable.

D4 - Dark Days Dont Die. Made by swery, the director of deadly premonition.

Reported for not posting your dick..

The Zelda games on 3DS and Wii U use gyro controls for aiming. It's pretty damned great.

I think earlier games using gyros, like on PS3, wanted to use it as a replacement for right stick aiming, an either/or situation, whereas it works best as a supplement to right stick aiming to get that perfect alignment.

And this is my daily reminder that I can't play Splatoon without getting motion sickness because the FOV is too low and this makes me miserable. :(

The Steam Cucktroller does the same thing.

But I already have a nice KBM setup and a DS4 for my PC. So why would I want that garbage thing?

What did he mean by this?

Funny you mention that OP because Starfox Zero did the same shit and all people did with that was bitch and moan rather than trying to git gud with them

Not that tilt controls was the biggest problem with the game, anyhow.

>>>/neogaf/

>>>/reddit/

>>>/oven/

Other console shooters lean heavily on aim assist. If you replace that with gyro like Nintendo did, a lot of players who think they're hot shit are suddenly going to find out they're just shit. If you add gyro on top of that, you don't gain much because precision is unnecessary.

The aim controls in Splatoon are merely enhanced by tilt controls. While in Star Fox Zero it's the only way you can even hit some targets.

Are you an autist ?
This is a serious and genuine question, do you have autism ?

The Conduit's controls were fantastic as was the multiplayer, I really miss that game.

The second game was ass compared to the original though.

The point is it's a accurate method of aiming that consoles can make use of yet don't.

The better question is why splatoon's analog stick controls are such garbage that even gyro controls are better.

I sure hope for your sake it's the former.
That said the gyro controls are amazing, it's good to see a game turn what initially seemed to be a gimmick into something that enhances the gameplay

Consoles support kb+ mice too, why not just ask why console games aren't using that instead of asking about gyro bullshit

the point of splatoon is playing multiplayer, where youre all but forced to get used to the gyro controls because of how much of an advantage youll have over people who dont. not something youll come really across in starfox

TWEWY's touchscreen controls made the game unplayable for me.

Feels just like the good old days

I think most games that tried gyroscope aiming ONLY supported aiming with the gyroscope and pissed everyone off, or made it an either/or choice so everyone turned sticks on and never looked back. What makes Splatoon's aiming is that the sticks and the gyroscope work together, and that you're free to use the sticks only like a retard until you eventually realize what you're doing to yourself.

Also the Wii U gamepad is nice and hefty which makes it easier to make precise movements than things like the DS3/4 which are tiny and light and thus very easy to overshoot. Makes me a little worried about the NX if it turns out to be a console/handheld hybrid as speculated, I can't see Splatoon controlling as well with a controller the size of a 3DS.

Gyro is good when its complemented by dual sticks
Games like Gravity Rush do it best

are you being retarded on purpose?

Ocarina of time 3D for the 3DS has it when you use a bow or a slingshot, it could potentially make console plebshit better than PC and the mouse, i have no idea why almost nobody does it. The only possible problem is with the person having to spin out of the TV's view but a fix would be keeping the regular analog stick movement so the person can move the camera like that and when they require non shit controls use the gyro