Fixing FF VIII's gameplay

We all know Final Fantasy VIII's gameplay is hilariously broken. The level scaling combined with the junction system actually makes you weaker if you decide to beat random encounters, turning cards into items and turning those items into spells lets you junction completely overpowered spells in the early stages of the game so you can beat most bosses with just a few regular attacks and Aura lets you use your Limit Break every turn.

Breaking the game by abusing its mechanics is fun in its own right, but I've wondered if it's possible to fix the gameplay and turn the game into an adequate challenge by imposing additional rules without absurdly limiting the player or making the game insanely difficult.
I've come up with the following limitations:
- Hard limit of spells per character (10 to 20, maybe?). Stat scaling depends on the number of spells junctioned, so you wouldn't be overpowered even if you junctioned strong spells in the early game.
- No running from random encounters, no equipping abilites that reduce the encounter rate. This would force the player to level up.
- Don't "skip" turns until you roll a limit break. I first considered banning limit breaks altogether (which wouldn't be fun) or banning Aura (which wouldn't really fix the problem).

These restrictions don't limit the player's options at all, but I'm not sure if they'd pose an adequate challenge. Any ideas and suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

jegged.com/Games/Final-Fantasy-VIII/
insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/27-final-fantasy-viii-requiem/
gamesviatorrent.com/baixar/[gamesviatorrent.com].final-fantasy-viii-steam-edition-multipc.torrent
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The only way to fix JRPG is to remove turn-based combat.
Basically only way to fix any turn-based garbage is to mnake it not turn-based.

Disregarded, Turn based combat is perfectly fine as a concept. It's just not done correctly half the time.

It's shit concept and it's impossible to do "right".

One post in and the thread's over.
Don't you have some other place to shit up?

No GForce
Hack the game in order to make Quistis blue magic available at anytime since she's a blue mage
Make your characters have jobs and only use the magic/capacity said job is allowed to including for junction :
Squall : Dark Knight
Zell : Monk
Selphie : Thief/Ninja(Can use items, I forgot if there's a throw command in this FF)
Rinoa : White Mage/Summoner(Kirin, Cerberus only)
Quistis : Black/Blue Mage
Irvine : Something/Time Mage

I forgot, in your junction, try to be respectful of the usual Hp limits that comes with the job.

Final Fantasy doesn't have any gameplay per se. What you do is move from A to B with no challenge. What could be called gameplay is it's turn based system, something which is inherently bad and anti-gameplay in itself. You are basically selecting actions from a menu. That is all that you do, no movement, position, awareness, reflex and so on is challenged. It kills pacing and blur the lines in lore and ability. All RPGs need to have real time combat today, no reason turn base should even exist anymore.

I think the game is good, i'm playing it on my PSP but i have yet to finish it. The atory and bosses are pretty damn cool.

Damn, good luck with your thread, OP.

So strategy and tactics aren't part of gameplay?

Yeah, OP should avoid shitposters like you.

Didn't you know? All you have to do is just select "attack" over and over and you've beaten every single JRPG that's ever existed.
Obviously.

Good thing ATB is not turn based then you idiot

Y'know what, I'm just gonna let you keep shooting yourself in the foot.

It's pretty blatant bait anyways, with the whole fact there are a bunch of threads dedicated to Turn Based RPGs

But muh defend option.

I dunno, a hard limit of 10-20 per character pretty much makes junctioning earlier spells pretty worthless and won't let you set yourself up for status afflicting/defense. Maybe 10-20 to stats directly. On the no running allowed, this would also merit a rewrite of the island sequence where you spend the entire time running from the giant spider to either a full cutscene or making it simpler without planning. The limitless junctioning does have merit in that casuals probably will have a challenge while people who experiment with conversion are rewarded. Instead, it might be a better idea to adjust stuff earlier on so that what you convert just resulters in stuff weaker by comparison, but still more powerful that what would be available without.

FFVIII problem was giving the player too much freedom, any person who figures out how to break the game will do it.

The charm of the game is to play it in different ways, I find it much more entertaining to limit yourself to a single GF per character (each one has their own attribute-J which makes each kind of like a job). And even then there are other ways to still break the game such as the limit spam and card game.

I suppose it is too hard for many to resist steamrolling the entire game, but this is still the game's fault. Something simple like a score system based on how little resources you used would have encouraged a few to try different approaches.

Remove the enemy leveling system (just like in oblivion, its trash here). Make draws limited use (so you cant just keep going back to farm them).

Maybe limiting gf attacks, or make them use a consumable so they cant be abused.

That would be a good start.

Last time I replayed FFVIII I realize the actual problem with the game is the fucking obscene amount of unskippable cutscenes and dialogue that happens starting in disc 3.

Get rid of Draw being able to stock magic, but with Draw-Cast still being available.

You can now only get magic via refining rare items (that can be refined from rarer cards), adjust drop rates accordingly and add minor sidequests that give you items to play up the Mercenary angle and give more weight to the decision of WHAT spell "Rare Item" is worth refining into.

Also Magic no longer get consumed instead they simply get more powerful the more duplicates it has, Varying the amount by the spell, like Thunder just add 0.1 (possibly less) per duplicate because it is low tier common spell, Ultima adds 1.0 because it is end game and you will have to work for every copy. this should stop the "I CAN'T USE [MAGIC] SINCE THAT FUCKS OVER MY STATS" conundrum.

Then rework the Limit system to something less abusable, probably a Meter.

Also, get rid of enemies leveling with you and the GF "GET +1 STAT ON LEVEL UP" skills (instead having ACTUAL but minor stat development on level up each character rather then "Empty Levels") to actually make it more worthwhile to fight then to flee.

Probably more stuff to but all this shit is on the top of my head.

People suggesting to not spend ages drawing magic or summoning GFs should realize that's something nobody playing to break the game does anyway. It is almost always quicker, simpler, and more game-breaking to refine magic from items than drawing, and you can always do more damage more quickly without using summons. Doomtrain is just about the only summon ever worth using due to all its status effects.

You might be unto something, it worked for XII

Summoning/Hiding behind GFs also lowers the SEED rank.

Not that the SEED Rank matters at all, Getting perfect from the exam alone if basically overkill that will last you more then the rest of the game.

No even without using convert to get OP shit junction itself buffs your stats so fucking much it's entirely better to just junction spells than it is to level up.
Shit is ass backwards and breaks all sense of challenge because the game makers never accounted junction into the formulas while balancing the game.

I'm sure this is bait, but I know millennials that actually think this IRL. It's kind of sad that anything complex/strategic is "old-fashsioned," but I guess that's what happens when you have a generation that grew up on garbage like Kingdom Hearts.

Add to this: Cannot use Card ability. Card can be abused to never level.

Actually, the EASIEST way to abuse this game is to get that one item that lets you avoid random encounters, and to build squal's best weapon via triad on disk 1. Then you just limit break bosses on low level (you wont be leveling) and win.

Actually, iirc you can get all items but 1 on disk one, but can be built early early disk 2 w/e, still easymode once you get it.

Also, get rid of enemies leveling with you and the GF "GET +1 STAT ON LEVEL UP" skills

What about making the stats gained additionally dependant on the GF the character? As in half of the characters stats for a given level changes depending on the GF they have equipped at the time. Maybe include other special benefits for sticking with a single one for a long time.

GFs have their own levels. If the Card Mod and Refine variety of abilities had some set lists that would expand as the GF leveled up, it would've helped reduce the gamebreaker potential.

Then again, it's fun as shit to refine Tents into Curagas and have 2000+ HP in Deling City whereas the game expects you to have 900 tops.

wait, I quit this game after the fight in this tower was too hard to beat for me. Is there any trick to the battle system? I tried to level but the levels of the enemies increased as well.

Card mod Quistis's card for triple, junction them to the attack of Squall, aura him in battle and slay everything. Or do the same on Zell and spam the easiest combos.

Fucking how. Have you not been drawing magic or anything?

thanks for the tip but I did not understand anything. This was in april and I quit in some tower on disc2. The enemies were 2 police guys or somewhing. It was a harbour city with a train station and it was the hometown of the ADD kid.

I never collected the cards. Is there any way to get stronger without cards? I was already struggling against the huge robot with 6 cores but this battle is really annoying. They hit me once and take half my HP away so I quit.

t. retard

Have you been using the junction system at all?

They hit me once and I lose half my HP. I am barely above 1500 and one of their hits takes 700 IIRC. I did draw magic but my attacks are also weak. Also I have no idea how this junction system works in detail. I use 1 GF for each character and and look for leveling them equally.

I was, I had one GF leveling per character and I receive a 30% HP upgrade if I attach the GF onto a character. That's it right?

Fucking hell.

You can assign more than one GF to your characters, you do this so you can junction more magic to your attributes.

The 30% hp increase only applies to the GF itself. You put magic into the HP junction slot to increase your hp.

I take it you're playing this game in English and you're not a native English speaker, right? Google how the junction system works in your native language because you've severely crippled yourself.

Have you done anything like this picture?

This
Card mod is a capacity from quetzacoalt, you win card playing triple triad and then convert them into magic. You can also use the capacities from different GF to refine magic from items, they're the capacities with RF in the name like Ifrit has F MAG-RF which is for fire magic or T MAG-RF which is for thunder magic.
This link should help : jegged.com/Games/Final-Fantasy-VIII/

I think drawing magic is faster than card mod. If you take into account time taken per battle etc, drawing is faster.

Yeah I remember I also added spells onto the stat slots but they usually did not boost that much. So I have to junction more GFs so I can put more spells into the stat slots?

thanks for the info, I will get a look at this when I play it again. So I don't have to level up, only to get more spells from random encounters?

wait, now as I recall, I never leveled my GF for those abilities:
Spr-J Junctions magic to character's Spirit stat.

I usually spent my ability points from battles for the HP boost or attack boost things they had on themselves.
Am I fucked?

Basically:

-Divide GF amongst 3 characters so that attributes are evenly as best as you can get spread
-Make sure GF's learn all the attribute ones first.
-Put magic into those stats. For HP cure, cura, curaga is a good choice.
Nah, but you're GF's will need AP which is gotten from encounters, which is how you level up new skills.

I think you can un-fuck yourself in a few hours, just need to refine magic.

Only affects the GF, not you.
You've probably not been using it correctly. Hold select and mash square for boost.

Nah, you can fix this easily.

Do I understand this correctly?
Let's say I draw 99x a fire spell and junction this onto my STR stat on squall. Will this increase my STR much more than if I junction only 20x fire onto it? ATM I only have around 20x of each spell at best.

So basically, what I need to do is get 99x spells on every character and just ram with full force through my enemies?

… stop being a hyper-autistic loser?

Correct.
The more magic you have the better it will be.
GF's can also allow you to refine magic to the higher tiers onces you've learned their refine ability.
eg: 5 fire become 1 fira, 5 fira become 1 firaga.

Pretty much, drawing is a huge part of this game.

Making sure every character has HP junction is your first priority when you play again.

Junction the most powerful spell you can to the STR

Yes, that's the deal.
Each type of spell is more suited to certain attributes. Fire/Ice/Lightning are good for early game STR boosts. If you use the -ra or -ga varieties, it's even better.

The more stock you have, the higher the boost. As you use your magic this also means your stats drop. If you for example junction Curas to your HP which is maxed in battle, and use a Cura to heal someone else, you'll notice that a bit of your HP will instantly drop down since you have less stock now.

The nature of the attribute hints as to which spells are good to use, e.g.:
HP: Cure type spells or Life/Full Life
STR: Attack spells such as fire, later on more OP shit such as Ultima are good
SPD: Triple is the best for this stat.

You can also use Auto-Junction. It'll pick the best types for each stat. If you really wanna break things just try refining high tier spells from cards or items (if you have Curas junctioned to HP, why not use Curagas? Simply refine a Tent found on almost any shop with Siren with LFMed-RF to get 10xCuragas).

Your opinion will drastically change.

OK thanks brudders, I will try to unfuck my save again somewhen the next days. I remember I was 30hours into it and I'd hate to trash the save.

When you mentioned the harbor town that is Zell's home, I guess you mean Balamb.
Also by 'two police guys' do you mean Biggs and Wedge (blue and red uniform) or Raijin and Fujin (buff musclehead and white haired chick with blue shirt)? If it's the latter, it's probably the fight at the hotel causing you trouble, which to be honest, is a pretty annoying boss fight overall.
If you're in this part of the game it might be tough to work things out since Balamb is in a state of siege of sorts, and getting out requires some work. You should still be able to play cards, though.

But Quistis's blue magic is the most broken thing in the game. Her degenerator spell can kill any non-boss in one hit, and it never fails. you can also get it right at the beginning of the game by refining one of the cards you start with

Reported for underage.

Gonna bump this because making another would be a waste.

Why is 10-2 so fun to play, plot is meh but fuck this is the best ATB system.

Because job based FF games are 10/10 gameplay wise.

Don't use it then, but all the rest is good.

Quite frankly I loved the gameplay. It might have had really broken stuff in it, but it had a TON of shit you could do.

Everything but combat in X-2 is fucking horrid, the combat is spectacular and it's a shame the system's wasted on nonsensical idol stupidity. FF games with job systems really are the absolute best of the best, though I like 9 the best overall as a game with set jobs for each character.

So everyones idea is to turn the grindy-est ff game, and make it grindier?

Here's an idea, once you draw out your magic you can turn the stack into an item, like a materia, and you equip that. It's strength is based off your current level, the strength of the spell and how many you got.
Now you can boost your stats AND cast healing spells.

Another thing, have your gf's have improved stats based on a "like" system. The more you use one the stronger it is.

Now to make it more fun, have classes again instead of this gay "everyone does everything" set up.
And everyone gets contextual skills, instead of just squall getting to get bonus damage from hitting a button right before he deals damage.

I could go one but ff8 is arguably one of the worst ff games and as such really shouldn't get remade.

Small per-zone scaling of encounters (for example the encounter scale from level (5 min to level 15 max in the first area of the world map)
Hard limit max stats with level
Scale the ammount of required experience per level incrementally (not exponentially)
Fast transition to encounters (think nocturne fast or faster)
Revert to FFVII limit system
Half the required grind for half-encounter and no encounter abilities
Remove or severely nerf the ability to junction status effect / debuff / buff to attack (it's absurdly overpowered for no good reason)
Give every char a base job that can extend to cover more things late in the game (think mid to late FFX where you're starting to get into other char grids but not late FFX where you're basically a walking elder god that can do everything)
Find a way to incentivize casting magic on it's own (probably revert to MP system and drawing a magic just unlocking it and having a limited number of slot for magics per char, possibly with affinity per character and with junctioned magic being either not usable in battle or having heavy drawbacks to your stats if you do)
Make weapon upgrade easier and more meaningful (maybe the ability to junction elements / debuff to your attacks being limited on earlier weapons)
Ability to reequip items rejunction in battle either freely or at the cost of a turn
Make accessory a thing again (again probably with the same system of limited slots for magic junctionning)

You don't have to grind at all though. Just get enough AP for the refine skills, and you can make magic that you can junction for insane stats just from the stuff you buy in the shops. Leveling up will just make the game harder at that point.

The only way to fix JRPGs is to nuke Japan a couple more times.

That game had it's problems but dat gameplay was fucking fantastic. The 100 floor dungeon was fun as shit when you had all the classes unlocked with the right dressgrid equipped.

A 1000 words was a breddy gud song though. That song made Celine Dion's love songs sound like shit.

user you might be retarded if you think the reason FF is shit is because of turn based combat. Considering only 10 was actually truly turned based, and not active battle time stuff

Best way to fix an FF game OP is to cancel it

I'll use those rules, with these addictions:

- the 10-20(going with 20 for a test run) limit only affects stats, as suggested, so you can actually use/protect yourself against status effects.
- No Card ability, as suggested. On the same vein, no enc-none. Maybe I'll allow enc-half if I find a part too annoying.
- Can't pick the "+X (STAT) on level up" GF skill
- No Devour either, for the same reasons
- Can "do-over" Selphie's Limit max of 5 times, forced to stay with whatever you got after 5 redos

This thread actually made me reinstall and attempt to play through FFVIII again with tighter restrictions. And dear god I just cannot even stand how much non-gameplay storytime bullshit this game has anymore. No I don't want to fuck around with resistance group dialogue and uncoupling trains for 20 minutes, get back to the damn gameplay.

Okay let me have it

Is that a thing? Must be endgame. I remember FF6 had this and it made it so your best teams had to get like Bahamut at a low level endgame and then level up, which was dumb.

My suggestion: one GF per character per disc

The story isn't that good of course, but the real problem is that fucking none of it can be skipped. Even if I liked it I know the story already. I don't want to slog through this shit again just to get to the game parts.

Even if you accept the general outline of the story, the way it was carried out was done in the most disorienting way possible. Also half of the story's sideplot goes nowhere.

FF8 to the day has the most enjoyable story of any FF ever.

I agree on the fact that i enjoyed it more than the story on other FF games, FFX second, but FFXII was the best story.

The worst one is FFIX, pretty much just about Zidane trying to get pussy but then eidolon shit happens.

I think you must be mixing up your FFs.

why does godot have a buzzsaw coming out of his head?

cuz it's not godot it's a thing from a music video that I can't for the life of me remember

You can defeat the spider temporarily, you even gain extra AP by doing it. Forcing the player to "beat" it that way every time also makes you actually worry about the timer, something that never happened before.

Yes that's a thing. The fact the game was piss easy to beat without leveling, while you can't see the GF abilities until you level them enough, ended up hiding a lot of shit. I didn't even know enc-none existed until I grew up and looked FFVIII on the web.Also, the reason I banned Devour is because you gain HP/STATS permanently by using it. So if you're autistic enough you don't even need to junction magic.
That sounds… difficult. I have mixed feelings about managing to do it, which means it's a good idea. It's in.

As enjoyable as it is, it gets utter boring after the nostalgia effect wears off. Thankfully, those playing in emulators can simply increase the speed to mostly skip it.

All good ideas, the problem is: we aren't making a mod here(as much as I'd love to play a FFVIII mod that changed the gameplay). All we have is the base game, we are picking stuff to avoid cheesing it to the ground.
By the way: should I ban Quistis' Degenerator? It's simply better than anything else, to the point I can't remember her other skills.

That last one was Shadow Hearts 2, dick.

Shockwave pulsar breaks damage limit and mighty guard is pretty much always useful.

Oh, then no card mod, no limit spam (aka just don't force one), no lvl up to stats.

Sawyer FUCK OFF.

Casual plz

This is _fun. The rules, plus setting battle speed to "fast" and ATB to "active" is keeping me on my toes, Holla Forums. I'm enjoying this.

Ignore the wiki picture, I can't post a screen of my own game because I'm playing on my phone.

I've been doing this too and it's still so easy. So many bosses give you all the right tools to defeat them just from the Draw menu. I'm thinking maybe I should just disable drawing entirely. Refining magic from items is already once again breaking the game to bits.

To be fair: this is the first disc, on a timed mission, where you fight arguably 3 bosses in a row, the last of which appears to be invincible. I'll have to check if the latter bosses algo give you the way to defeat them on a silver plate.

I'm at Deling City and it's been true so far.

Meanwhile, I get mad at random bs. Do you see that save point in the picture? It's impossible to reach.

Personally, I consider ATB to be a form of turn-based combat. A 100% superior form of turn-based combat that should have replaced all standard turn-based combat in all games since it was invented completely, but a form of turn-based combat nonetheless. Even if it isn't divided up into rounds, everybody still gets turns, so it's turn-based.

ATB systems don't require you to wait for turns to come up, games like FFX for example use ATB systems without any wait times. The system is the same as the ones with wait times, they just jump straight to the next turn, problem solved.

Holy shit, I had forgotten how cringy this part was. I get that they are teenagers, but damn.

insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/27-final-fantasy-viii-requiem/

This difficulty hack seems to do a good job at fixing things. Bosses have fixed levels, junctions were rebalanced, some items and effects were changed, Zell's limit does jack shit with the weak commands and the finishers are actually relevant etc

I'm at the end of disc 2 and so far the game has been "easy" if you know what to do. And by that I mean things like refining like 5 Firagas for Gerogero, getting a Windmill to refine Tornadoes for Brothers, refining strong cards for useful junction spells, using your shit intelligently instead of hoarding etc. It doesn't require any absurd grind, just playing enough cards to get the rare ones should give you more than enough resources to do everything.

I'm gonna guess the endgame is a lot more strict and, instead of making the game easy by playing well, you are required to do so for it to be beatable at all.

It's definitely not for a first playthrough, but it's definitely great so far.

I wasn't going to try the mod, but then I read this.

No it isnt you retard

My favorite part is him complaining about being hit by Flare in the battle immediately after you get Carbuncle. Seifer literally kills himself for you in that one.

It is at that moment of the game. You get closer, the scene changes to a closeup of the seed, quistis and Balamb garden's owner. You go back and you're too far away to reach it.

Okay hipster. Whatever you say

yes. its called a cutscene, when its over you can use it.

wow video games

Came here to post this pretty much. This site has a lot of neat "rebalances", if you will. The FFIX one and FF Tactics ones are worth mentioning, the FFT one in particular adds tons of new content.

Holy shit, the mod doesn't fuck around.

Is sarcasm lost on you?

Yes

Never did get into the refining spells via gf and i never ran from random encounters so the final bit of the game managed to be a challenge
Fuck that ultimecia fight, 3 phases and random party members? REEEE

Actually, T Rexaurs are found that in vanilla, too. But yes, they're scary strong in this mod.

I loved the FFIX one and I played FFT 1.3 to completion multiple times. They're really good mods.

Found there*. Fuck.

Cap stats per level if using magic. Also, do avoid early on bullshittery with cards, lock certain abilities at certain levels so that, for example, Quistis can't get degenerator early game

Breaking a cap can only be done by items you equip. So a max cap at level 5 might be I dunno 10, you can equip magic to hit that 10 stat and then after that if you want 11 you must use an equip-able item

This way most of the game changes.

There are no equippable items in FF8.

It was my first encounter in the forest, the t-rex OHKO both my characters.

By the way, is there something I'm missing? Bettle bugs poison you, and the ice things petrify. You gain no money from battles in FF8, and the item the bugs drop sometimes is worth 5 gil a piece. A single antidote is 100, as is a rest in the second city.

Was there a way to progress "properly" I didn't see, or are you really supposed to grind 120 AP on Quetzacotl while going back to Squall's bed everytime you get poisoned? Because that's what I did.

It's been how many years now? I wish you'd all just let it go but apparently even SE won't. Fucking SE.

What I did for early game:

Before Ifrit, you only need to grind to like lv 6 (I forgot the specific) so they can survive anything he throws at you (keep one ally on standby to heal unless you're both at full health). Stock up on Blizzard to kill him.

After that, you go to the beach and grind Card Mod on Fasticoalcon. They are not very dangerous, can't ail you and give 4 points per battle. Spamming GF works fine. And with that you just do clever card modding and go on with the game.

Squall starts level 7, Quistis level 8. Ifrit spams Fira, which is a pain in the ass(more than half HP). When he gets mad and does the jump hit thing, he does at least 580 damage, OHKO'ing a low level character with no HP-J.

Currently both are lvl 13, ~720 HP each. And I feel stupid for forgetting the Fasticoalcon-F on the beach, and the Occult book(which sells for 10k IIRC).

Oops. I what I meant was to get ~6 levels, not to level down. I didn't know about the occult book, btw. Thanks for that.

The good news is that the author put up an update of the mod 6 days ago(got rid of Enc-Half, Enc-None, LV Down, LV Up, Doom, Card, Eden learns Card Mod at 50).
The bad news is that he got a corrupted HD and all he has left is the PC version mod. He lost even the tools he used to make it, so he won't be releasing mods.

There's a non-refillable drawpoint on the library that gives esunas, got 7 from there.

I hope people warned you to not level at all, or else you will be in for a rude awakening about 20 hours or so in

and make sure you get the magic lamp, and use it pronto. It's the best gf in the game practically

???

Nevermind, found it in the thread

thsesego hand in hand

if you make the game harder it will only make it more grinder with hard number limits slowing down the game forcing you to focus on min maxing your character

I would rather just have fun with it as it is

however if you wanted to increase the difficulty in a meaningful way then giving it the battle system from Star Ocean 2, another broken as fuck game that is more balanced, would be a good step

grind sand fish, they give 3 ap each averaging 6 per fight, near balamb garden until shiva can learn doom

then go in the forest and if you're lucky the doom counter will be like 8 seconds and you can cast it on dinos which give you 10 ap instead of 3 per fish

My grandmother is playing it now. She's using a guide to get all the ultimate shit really early, and is super autistic with the card game. She was struggling to fight Adamantoises for about 30 minutes before I told her you could beat them by just casting berserk.

(checked)
If that's true it's fucking awesome user. My grandmother does fuck all besides worrying about pointless stuff and arguing.

She just finished replaying FF9, where she was equally autistic with the card game. I set her up with an emulator so she play old games. I've recommended she play FF6 or PM: TTYD next, since she hasn't played either yet. Funny that the person over 50 is the only woman in the house I can convince to play good vidya.

Goes to show you how things have really gone to shit nowadays. Don't send her to a home when she gets too old user.

Despite the good things I've said, she is just as crazy as the other women in the house and has done some more unsavory things. I just help her with vidya stuff because I can't help but promote good vidya and be nice to my grandmother. Can good vidya make good people? How do we stop bad taste?

The card game in FF9 is incredibly easy, I didn't get that in depth with it which is even more amazing. It is probably the easiest minigame in FF

By not thinking FF is anything but mediocre to start

It's better than the other shit she was playing. I don't don't think I could convince her to play more obscure RPGs. It also has a nostalgia effect for her.

It's not good either, but honestly it's not salvageable if she is a big FF fan. They are not the most delusional fanbase, but they can't take criticism at all. In any case has FFXV bombed yet?

It's also incredibly shitty. Forget about the whole 'power' and 'defense' number bullshit and just worry about the corner arrows. As long as you can 'point' to a side of an opponent card that does not have an arrow, that card is yours.
Square obscured the details on purpose in the main game. Seriously, in the Dali weapon shop you can find some hints if you go out of your way on Disc 2 and all you get is that "some number is attack maybe?" Fuck that shit. They did this on purpose so they could upsell that horrendous PlayOnline guide that doesn't even fucking work anymore. DRM on strategy guides, brilliant idea.

I replayed FF9 so much as a kid that I discovered pretty much fucking everything without a guide. Chocobo Air Garden, Card Master in Memoria, Mognet Central, the Chocographs… The only stuff I didn't find out about were Excalibur II and the -nero family subquest that was just recently discovered. What a great game - great memories. Tetra Master is still shit though

Triple Triad master race.

because all of Holla Forums is one person as well

this meme needs to die

Man I couldn't find the last treasure chest, the one in the ocean. I eventually gave up, but damn I even went on the internet and still couldn't find it. Or did I not? I don't remember, I should have just gone eon jewtube

It's not that hard, really. The picture helps a lot, and in case you didn't know, Mogster also has additional help. Hit Select and you'll get extra hints from the help pop-up.

Tetra master really is shit, also no rewards. I remember just coming off of triple triad wanting for more and being massively disappointed. FFIX is great otherwise, just ignore tetra master.

Exactly. You're forced to play it on the start of Disc 3 in Treno, but at least by that point random battle drops should give enough cards to make a decent game.

Nothing beats Gold Saucer and Triple Triad. Blitzball is a chore (hilariously they never fixed the 'get behind your goalie' AI exploit, heh) and all the other minigames are utter crap.

Goddamn gold saucer man. That fucking snowboard game was the tightest shit

fuckin gold saucer was great

I can already imagine the FFVII Remake Gold Saucer.
It'll be nonexistent. Get ready to pay real money for GP to use in crappy minigames

fuck you

I doubt they'll even get that far, or make some excuse that "It's not really essential to the main game" and drones with defend it.

Sorry, but while my hype went out of the sky on that e3 trailer, hopes aren't so high now. Honeybee Inn will probably be excised too.
After what S-E did with Star Ocean 5, things don't look too positive.
Still, if the game is actually fun I'll get it. We already know it's going to be a episodic 'Telltale' style release, which sucks at face value but if done correctly it could make it better. A whole part should be dedicated to Zack's backstory from Crisis Core, ending right where Cloud takes over

Wow m8 you sure showed them.

I thought so as well, but then I tried Bravely Default. With the BP system and a lot of gimmicks around it the turn based combat in it is pretty cool.

It's a hoax. It was discovered not long after the game's release, and I think it even was in the official guide.
Tetra Master is still dogshit tho.

Really? I don't remember any mentions of it until the so called 'recent' discovery.

It's a really shitty sidequest anyway, and what you get is just a crappy ring.

Don't worry, in a few chapters BD turns into total garbage. You'll know when it happens.

Yeah fam, it already happened.
At least grinding the jobs is pretty fun still. This game really allows you to be OP as fuck with the right synergies.

Perdition was one of the easier hidden bosses in the series.

I just didn't want to imagine pay to win gold saucer

in FF7 and FF8 there was puzzles and shit and even other stuff now and then

PROTECT THE HOTDOGS

yeah early on squall is kind of a shit but to be fair when I was 14 I didn't really understand what was going on that she was trying to get into his pants

I can totally see squall being that socially retard as realistic

Fuck yah you pretty protect the hotdogs, it's the only fucking thing there worth protecting

The entire fucking garden want's those fuckign hotdogs protected

Hotdogs are LOVE!
Hotdogs are LIFE!

I need to play it in japanese to see how much of an actual autist he was in the original

from what I remember he was pretty fucking autistic at least until the trains

and even then he never really stops being a bit autistic

CREAM MY JEANS

I mean jesus this for dark knight man

The rules include not avoiding fights, exactly to not abuse the level scalling. I know about Diablos user, I got all the way to Ultimecia by spamming GFs when I was a kid. I'm not a native english speaker. Imagine my surprise when I used the Magic Lamp in the Timber train, thinking it was an item to save your game
That said, i'm playing the difficulty mod now. The monsters have fixed levels, with a few exceptions in "fuck you" locations.

Enemies won't wait like faggots while you're picking your GF/spells/whatever and you won't have to wait for 5-6 seconds between turns. The one problem I have with it is that it stil freezes everyone's ATB during GF/attack/magic animations, but again GFs would be even worse if it didn't.
Most bosses on disc 1 outright give you a strategy to beat them, or you find one just before. Most people never realize this because the game is too easy already.

The sand fish is a sure-encounter, t-rex has a chance of appearing. You'll spend less time farming the fishes.

Half of the (…whatever) are actually him being socially awkward instead of edgy in the originals. This is the angry-eyed Kirby effect.

On disc 2 now and I just learned Mug and I'm thinking this may also be something to deny oneself from using. You can get good items to refine into powerful magic very easily by mugging enemies.

not if you have an 8 second doom and you can't instakill the fishes

also t-rex bones give earthquake from ifrit on top of the water from fish fins

Why would you ever use doom instead of degenerator?

because you would have to grind cards and levels to get Gesper and convert it into black hole BEFORE the first seed mission after getting ifrit

also I never really figured out her blue magic stuff

You start with Gesper. The only grinding you'd need to do is for Card and then Card Mod.

Playing the last version of the mod, on the Steam release. The guy went over all the mobs again, Bite Bug does 1/3 less damage, the sand fishes/caterpillar deal a lot more(the former take about 5 thunders to kill too). The changelog says there's no more level scaling in the game, Doom and Card are gone. Now to see what he did to Ifrit.

shit

wish I knew that years ago

You sound like a FFVII remake fag

Could I be sued for copying the junction system with minor tweaks and naming it something else?
Hypothetically for a game I'm working on

Only if you're successful

Doubtful. Lawsuits over game mechanics never seem to happen even for the most blatant of clones.

Wiped twice at Anacondaur. Fucker causes ~350 damage per hit, has more than 3.5k HP and is FAST.

Does this work with a torrent version? I have my trusty 8 for the PS but never had it for PC and I'm not about to pay for a Steam version of a 20 year old game I already own.

There are 2 links, the one he put and one by the author at the end of the thread. The one linked by user is an old version, but works on the american ISO of FFVIII, for the PS1. You need to use a program to add the patch to it, like PPF-o-matic.

The other link is the last update he made before his hd died on him, works on the PC version of FFVIII. I'm playing it right now, works on pirated copies.

Aight, thanks m8

Do you just throw the files in the game folder?

Just pay attention to the folder. You're not to put it directly on the C:\Program Files (x86)\Final Fantasy VIII folder, because the game has different folders for each language.

For english, the correct path to unzip the files in is C:\Program Files (x86)\Final Fantasy VIII\Data\lang-en

Honestly just removing the level scaling would probably do it. The game's battle system was fine, it was just that you would actually be punished for leveling, which is just the most retarded thing an RPG much less a JRPG can do…

Aside from removing turn based battles like this retard suggests Go play Overwatch you pleb.

The rule is copy until you get sued, if you made enough money to where they are suing you then you should be fine covering legal fees and even paying fines. I have heard and confirmed this from every artist and musician I've ever worked with (and I've worked with a lot).

No you could never be successfully sued. Usually what a company will do is engage in a lawsuit, and attempt to drive you into bankruptcy with legal fees

Aight, thanks. Also, got a torrent for the pirated version? Since kat went down I'm too lazy to search elsewhere

gamesviatorrent.com/baixar/[gamesviatorrent.com].final-fantasy-viii-steam-edition-multipc.torrent

thanks

Kicked the ass of the fucking mechocrab. The people of ID avoided it entirely, but he isn't really hard(not kidding, he just had a lot of HP to burn).

His attacks does about twice the vanilla damage, he has ~11k HP, and his special attack isn't physical anymore. Can still draw Protect from him.

Other than the bonus AP, he dropped an item to teach a GF Vit+20%.

Never realized Squall accepted Rinoa's request for a dance even before she came over before. So in the end she wasn't forcing him, it's him who was spaghetting.

no and yes

he always drops spaghetti

Their interplay at 12-18 seconds.

awww shit user, you're half right after all

he didn't accept the dance request outright though