Why is this game being shilled so hard?

I don't get it, Holla Forums. Nothing about this game seems inspiring. Why is it a top three bestseller on Steam right now? Why is everyone so gay for the stupid 18 QUINTILLION gimmick?

The first hour of Skyrim seems 1000x more detailed and fascinating than this bland sandbox.

Nobody's shilling that shit.

Because Elite Dangerous was shit(and Jewish).
Shekel Citizen is never ever.
Mandate ran into problems.
No new X game on the horizon, most people aren't even sure if they want one.

As shit as NMS looks it's actually releasing at least.

What happened to mandate?

Because retards never heard of Space Engine, Elite Dangerous, Noctis (15 years old for fuck sake), Spore or any of the other PC games that have had the same gimmick for years and they want to appear cool and intelligent by circlejerkinng over an "amazing" and "never done before" space game.

the dirty paintbucket color pallet appeals to their mixed, inferior genes.

How the fuck did we end up with a genre that had its last real jump forward, in terms of technology and ambition, back when Elite II got released?

Because you fucking idiots show time and time again that it works.

Damn, Dobson is still alive?

It is the new Gone Home. It is being shilled because the developers have connections.

It's being shilled because some retards are too young to have seen the atrocity that was Spore.

I'm technically looking forward to playing this piece of shit. I'm not excited, I'm not eager - I'm 1 point above total ambivalence.

I think it'll be interesting for at least 5 hours before the human brain cracks all of the procedural algorithms and players just see the matrix when they load it up, and for those 5 hours maybe i'll be able to look around at space and feel something.
Probably not, but there aren't any other options left. Even Space Engine hasn't been updated in ages, and everything else remotely space related I've already played to death years ago.

I hope someday a good, new, ambitious, graphically, mechanically and stylistically impressive space game comes out. I don't think it'll ever happen, though. I think space is too magnificent for the kind of wretched faggots who resort to making video games to put food on the table to understand.

This is what I've been saying all along. You WILL spot the patterns, not after planet number fifty, but planet number five or six. Even with all their variations, you'll start to see the computer.

Procedural generation has outstayed its welcome. Sure, for a while, they could provide more content than hand crafted worlds could, because testing algorithms takes less time than actually crafting a meaningful world. But said content is hollow in comparison because you figure it out.

Once you start seeing the numbers and patterns, away goes the immersion. And besides, story elements are what make a game. How can these make a whole universe interesting? Are they too, to an extent, procedurally generated?

There would be nothing wrong with this product, IF:

-It was advertised as a TECH DEMO and not a GAME

-It was priced accordingly.

Charging the price of a full game for this is just ridiculous. But hey, we'll find out soon enough. The barrages of hype-addicts will spend money on this shit and get massively disappointed. Then we can absorb the butthurt to fuel endless shitposting threads with screencaps of their salty tears.

Amen, user.
A massive procedurally generated game like this can technically be done elegantly, but it's never going to happen because of how much effort it would take to pull off.
Basically, you need to not only have extremely robust algorithms for the generation aspect, but you also need to put in enormous amounts of hand-crafted content - all of it totally unique that can only be generated ONCE in the entire game universe so you never see it twice.
This makes exploration actually worthwhile, as one player can find someone someone else might never see, unlike NMS where every player is seeing the same slice of a single probability cloud on every planet.

But you would need thousands of hand-crafted worlds or ruins or cities or what have you. Tens of thousands. Even that wouldn't be enough for a game with 200 billion procedurally generated planets. You'd need at least 200 million hand-crafted environments to make it even a 1/1000 chance that any player might find any given asset.

Procedural generation is not an excuse to make a game as massive in scope as possible - it's a tool to take some of the strain off of a dev team so they can pad out their already significant hand-crafted content.

Yes. And while the devs could create many smaller stories all existing separately, they won't be able to have a continuity that makes sense. Even games that are 100% hand crafted fall short on that. But normalfags don't care. Just watch how they gobbled up that lifeless sanbox Fallout 4 which by the way was hand crafted, and despite this it was a lifeless, soulless conglomerate of all the most trendy gimmicks of the current year all mashed together into a horrible frankenstein monster masquerading as a "game".

The story was shit, and your choices didn't matter. Devs can't even get a linear story to be captivating nowadays.

Even if there was a story, the dev team consists of cucked nu-males and a dyke who have to walk on eggshells not to offend their audience, so any fragments of story will probably be boring and bland as fuck and the different alien races will have no personality at all.

Biggest disappointment since Destiny and Watch_Dogs

normalfags discovering Roguelikes and their PROCEDURAL GENERATION is one of the worst things to happen to modern gaming. They're taking pieces of the whole to try because it is an excuse for laziness and sounds good in theory.

Nevermind the fact that the mechanics of Rogue and it's spinoffs were a necessity given the level of developmental technology available at the time. People had less than a single percent of choices in video games than they do now so replay-ability was a big factor then thus procedural generation and randomized item effects, etc. Now it's just fucking cheap.

I'll take handcrafted levels like Dark Souls any day over this lazy bullshit they're pumping out now.

It's not being shilled, it's just retards both here and on cuckchan want tortanic 2.0 and spam false flag threads

pic related

All I want out of it is a slightly better space engine and it looks like it'll do that. I don't mind paying 60$ for that, personally.

Anybody who expects it to be a giant rewarding gameplay experience is going to be disappointed, though from having actually bothered to read interviews and such, there is more to the game then most people think.

spore wasn't bad, but it was ruined by ea, which ruins everything.

I would think people woke the fuck up to this sort of shit, but I see so much hype, day 1 buy, etc.
Then again, it might be a new generation of infants who have no experience, but they should know better.
Maybe it's neon colors and chromatic aberrations that give it artsy indie feel so people must think it's genuine so it can't possible be bad.

Because Sony put quite bit of money into it. The game and its studio would be dead without Sony helping out.

What does this avatar symbolize? Exorcising the gay from people?

Forgot to add, too, that the devs have basically admitted NO STORY LOL MAEK UR OWN and arrogantly tried to use it as a selling point.

Get less actual content and use your imagination instead, is basically what they are saying.

normalfags love it. And we know why: let's plays and general youtube cancer. This shit is perfect for some faggot flying aimlessly around trying to be funny with muh reactions and muh commentary. THIS is the shit that justified the existence of such games. The content in the games are minimal, but the let's players add the "entertainment value", if you can call it that, by trying to be funny on camera.

Most kids will buy this game, get bored with it, but feel their purchase justified since their cool youtube surrogate friend makes funny videos with it and they can brag about owning the same game, or something.

On foot looks like a simple shooter. Space combat looks arcadey. From what they've shown taking on a fleet/freighter would be fun.

It looks like it'll be pretty exciting, and it'll slowly ease down on as you discover more and more.

They haven't shown how trading is done yet.

It isn't what Sean wanted. I don't see how is is a "con". Though he already did say if people scream enough he'll add traditional multiplayer in an update.

Define "content". Planets? Yes. The features like trading, combat, piracy, exploration, alien language thing, etc? No, it'll be used.

So? That may sound fun to someone else. That isn't even all you do.

If anything you're an anti-shill shill faggot.

>>>/reddit/

Nigga there was a whole interview about how "organic" meeting other players will be and whatnot, and that it will be always online, and how shit you find first are named by you and how other people can stumble upon it.

All the people who knew how to TECHNOLOGY either got the fuck out of an industry that was transforming into a rape machine or switched to engine development.

Faggot shillpost

Because you don't check the catalog.

The only possible entertainment I could get from this videogame is if I can name planets with stuff like "Niggercocks" or "Whoever's reading this is a fag".

All interviews I've seen were Sean saying you could meet players, but you wouldn't know they were a player (unless they did something like jump around a lot idk). You can also play offline, it isn't always online. I assume your discoveries just get uploaded and other ones downloaded if you switch between offline and online.

Faggot anti-shill shill post.

Faggot anti-antishill shill post

Jesus fuck, is your IQ >9000? I have played Minecraft for days and I still can't predict what's going to generate next with its Perlin noise algorithm.

You know there will be hills and caves and various biomes, and you know they'll be roughly this size and this shape. You know where the extreme limits are and you know that on average things will fall closer to the middle of those extremes.

This has nothing to do with IQ. The human brain naturally cracks patterns - it never stops trying to crack patterns in fact, which is why people see false patterns in total chaos.
The more input you have from any closed system, the less that system can surprise you. This effect is cumulative.

That's smarter than an Alakazam

/thread

Being excited is not the same as being shilled you retard.

Look at it this way: Elite II was coded completely in ASM. If it all works, that's FAST. But, if it doesn't…

You need reasonably talented people to do this kind of stuff who like screwing around with code. John Carmack types.

How many up-and-commers in the industry have those kinds of people working for them?

The fuck are you talking about? It's had three updates in the last six months. Don't you even visit the site's forums?

If that was the case then Dobson would have had a fucking heart attack on the spot.

is he the homosex? i thought he liked tremendous inflating breasts and ass

I thought the NMS "hype train" was mostly relatively young first-time gamers. When I started trolling NMS discussions, I found it wasn't uncommon for users to have kids, maybe even college-age kids, or actually admit to being 50+.

Of course, lots of young people also getting duped by the easy-enough-for-anyone gameplay, 18 QUINTILLION, pseudo-sophisticated and exclusive philosophy of Sean Murray, and probably how attractive he is. ew seriously so many obsessive comments about that creep

Whatever the demographic is, the community is unhealthy. I don't know if they are exacerbated by shills or just can't handle a Molyneux-wannabe. They are incredibly contrarian even to the point of insulting themselves, NMS or anywhere else you lead. They also attack even innocuous questions as "haters". Then they constantly talk about how "toxic" the "antihype" people are. It's hilarious and bizarre.

This is what I try to tell people who claim Sean Murray is a genius mathematician creating an undeniably ambitious game. Procedural generation should impress no one, especially since Noctis did the universe thing on DOS.

Watching Sean Murray interviews, I am not sure HE understands that 18 quintillion possible permutations of 18 creature types will only feel like ~18 creatures. It kills me in interviews when he says he doesn't know what's in the game.

Jesus fucking christ how cringey.

WE CANT KNOW BECAUSE 18 QUINTILLION, LMAO. We just don't know, kek. It's just so, like, totally random and, like, original and stuff.