Jailbreaking PS3s

Sup Holla Forums

I've had a Super Slim PS3 for a while and I've been thinking of jailbreaking it to play MGO2.

I kind of put it out of my mind since I remember reading on here that the Super Slim was "impossible" to jailbreak. Until I found a site here that claims to do it on the latest firmware

ps3superslimjailbreak.com/2015/05/PS3SuperSlimJailbreak.html#

I'm wondering if any anons can give me some advice on the matter since I really don't want to brick my PS3

Also I have a secondary question. If I do end up jailbreaking my PS3, I'm wondering how can I run PS1 games off it's harddrive?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!8hlh0ZAB!EF469SBeK7BY-_sIEAIIXg
nl.aliexpress.com/item/E3-FLASHER-FOR-SONY-PS3-CONSOLE/1557385983.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_10,searchweb201602_4_10056_10055_10049_10017_405_404_407_10040,searchweb201603_4&btsid=a9c6dd03-656d-461c-9f60-005c8eb652c8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That guide looks pretty straightfoward, it'll be pretty hard for you to mess up.
Make sure you get your model number right, and don't let your ps3 go to sleep or poweroff while it's doing its thing.

It looks like the PS4 retroarch has a PSX libretro core, so it should read ISOs off your HDD.

I have an original model with the latest REBUG, I use webman to load my PSX isos from within the XMB, it pulls them remotley off my PC.

I could try and answer questions but I can't give too much advice since I don't remember too much about the process.

I was on an old firmware PS3 and used my phone to emulate a usb hub and do that whole trick, later it became as easy as installing a cfw through the built in system option, since then I've just been updating the same way. I'm not sure how it goes on later models/firmware.

The thing I know the most about is how to put another OS on it, specifically FreeBSD. Very old screencap related.

Also here's a mirror of projects from the PS3 gitorious site before that died, I don't know if there's another mirror of this anywhere.
mega.nz/#F!8hlh0ZAB!EF469SBeK7BY-_sIEAIIXg

The launch models have PSX hardware and the later ones have a Sony PSX emulator so it's usually better to use that if you can instead of third party emulation for PSX. I don't know if they removed support for that on later models though or if there's other issues, if that's the case the mednefen core should work well, it's what I use for PSX emulation on my PC.

Wait that's the wrong link, that's my unfinished package for other OS. If anyone wants me to share the various PS3 projects let me know and I'll throw them up on IPFS.

Isn't the ps3 hacking scene still stuck in this rut to where if you have any firmware above 3.55 there is no possible way to soft mod and requires a hardware mod?

It still impossible, the link is fake.
What is the reality of the situation unfortunately.

That link is fake,the only way to put cfw on a ps3 is downgrading it to 3.55.

It's worse than that. As I said in an earlier thread, you cannot downgrade some models below 3.55, the ones that never came with 3.55 or lower. Only fats and a few slims can be downgraded in this way. For the rest your only option is a drive emulator.

Also hardware flashing isn't practical for most people even with a compatible PS3, it's waaay more sensible to find one at or below 3.55.

Don't ask question in op.

Tip top kek user, that model is un-moddable

If I CFW'd a fat PS3, would I be able to play PS2 games off of the HDD or a USB?

Both. However, note the USB must be FAT32 meaning files have to be under 4GBs. The average PS2 game is over 4GB that means you'll have to split files. I've got the launch PS3, just upgrade the internal HDD and store large games there and everything else on a USB.

I own a phat PS3 on OFW 3.41

Holy shit user, this better be legit because i'm about to do it.

I have the original 60GB all-black ps3 with the built in ps2 hardware, I've been meaning to get a flasher but I haven't, can you play ps2 games natively or is that too much to ask for?

But the ps3 has no games

Launch model on 3.8. I can't believe the haven't caught up yet.

Does anyone know the specific reason why firmwares above 3.5 are unbreakable?

Yes you can play them natively.

My assumprion is that sony got their shit together after the PSP got busted wide open. That, and a lack of interest.

thats the cobra thing right?

The PS3 suffered some humiliating failures with its security model, watch the fail0verflow presentation about it.

I'm interested in the technical reason as well. Again some PS3s can be downgraded via hardware but not all.

Yeah. No idea how well those work, probably only for disc games, and I don't think any homebrew is possible either.

Its a shame too cause the fat PS3s have an overheating problem. I know mine got YLOD and is now a useless piece of desk furnishing.

You can fix the YLOD issue by replacing some thermal paste. It's not overly difficult to do.

I have a Fat PS3 without PS2 compatibility.
I can still ṕlay PS2 games vía "PS2 Classics" software emulation, right?

My PS3 has like 60GB, do I have to upgrade the HDD to a bigger one before flashing it and installing CFW, or those two things aren't tied at all?

Yeah, you want to upgrade, since you can't run isos from external hdd.
And yeah, you can play PS2 games like that.

I had my slim PS3 since 2009 so it surely had a firmware lower than 3.55 (i even had the cfw once but like a fucking stupid nigger i removed it) is the hardware downgrade difficult and/or expensive to do?

nl.aliexpress.com/item/E3-FLASHER-FOR-SONY-PS3-CONSOLE/1557385983.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_10,searchweb201602_4_10056_10055_10049_10017_405_404_407_10040,searchweb201603_4&btsid=a9c6dd03-656d-461c-9f60-005c8eb652c8

im pretty sure this is what you need, google for guides

Is it safe though? I mean this thing in particular, since aliexpress deals in wholesale and cheap chinese knockoffs, i don't want to risk frying everything.

I believe you need to solder to do it and the chip will be small. Definitely not for the newbies.

im not sure to be honest, you could try looking for other sellers