Importance in Soundtracks

Let me ask you something, Anons. How important do you feel soundtracks are in games? Do you feel it can affect how much one enjoys a game at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamemp3s.net/torrents/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For some games, they're essential. It gives the overall "Feeling" of it.

They have no direct bearing on gameplay, unless it's a music-centric game, but in terms of making a game memorable, they're extremely important. Pic related was posted in response to the question "What is it about Pumpkin Hill that captivates us to this day? I can't put my finger on it."

The second most important thing behind gameplay.
Good music can make even the shittiest 2D platformer tolerable.

Honestly these days a good soundtrack is what strikes me interest in a game.
I don't usually find games any other way unless people are coming to my fucking doorstep telling me they are good. then I see if the music is good

Very important. If I'm going to be playing the game for more than a few hours, I want something good to listen to, something that fits with the game, and doesn't sound too repetitive.

Definitely. You enjoy good games more when they have memorable soundtracks and hate shitty games more when they have awful ones.

This.

For example, Sonic 3D Blast is a mediocre game but the music makes it memorable.

Surprisingly important. Not only can good music contribute to gameplay by setting the mood/pace, but listening to music is also an enjoyable activity by itself, meaning that even if you don't really like the game, you'll keep playing just to listen to the music. It's not a panacea, but it is EXTREMELY good at papering over the cracks. If there are a few weak spots, periods of excessive frustration or poor design, the music can get people to keep playing through it. Music also affects your memory, if you liked a song, you'll remember having fun playing the game, even if you weren't really enjoying the game.

tl:dr - Music is like makeup, surprisingly important

Well said.

Words of truth right here

I listen to it when I open and close the game

and it makes me want to keep playing

the 3D jump for Sonic would've been different if they didn't use cheesy buttrock for the major theme songs

Music is pretty damn important in games.

I bought Ridge Racer Type 4 after playing the demo mostly because of the music.

On the other side, I can't get interested in most tri-Ace games because 90% of the time the music is the usual Motoi Sakuraba blandness.

I don't have experience with Tri-Ace games aside from Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2, but I thought they had some pretty good music myself. Not every track is a winner, but then again I've never played a single game where that's the case. Maybe 1 out of 4 are worth listening to outside the games, but that's about the highest percentage any game gets.

Incidentally, evidently VP2's soundtrack was released on two CDs, and I've yet to find a good download for the first to this day. Sure, most of the good stuff was on the second disc anyway, but not the world map music, and I loved the map music. Sick of having to go to youtube for that one track and the first dungeon's music.

Green Forest was also the "Jungle" genre
Which is kind of neat.

Check out gamemp3s.net/torrents/ and look for "#gamemp3s Archive U-V". At least, I think that has what you're looking for.

I can rarely consider game a personal favourite if its soundtrack is shit or just plain unmemorable
Games are a mix of all senses. Appealing the eyes is easy, but many people forget about the ears. Music can have a tremendous impact on your game, and is what personally led me to discover many games I ended up loving.

A good soundtrack can make a MMO fight a lot more intense than it deserves to be.

I've only played the beta for ARR, but I absolutely loved this track.

Every fucking GBA game

[spoiler]
test
test

test
test (test)
[/spoiler]

test
test

test

test (test)

I feel you. buddy.

I never had a problem with the way that GBA games sounded. Well, apart from Harmony of Dissonance.

The music sets the tone and feel, covers for cracks in the gameplay, can define the character of characters based on when a track plays, and determines if you remember it.

There's a reason JRPGs are fondly remembered over Average Shootum-Up 43.

JRPGs since the old days have had to use music to set the tone and fill in the blanks because honestly, there wasn't much to it thanks to engine limitations, even back in the SNES days when things became a little more advanced.

Even outside of an RPG, music can set your tone, and forgettable music that doesn't is either detrimental or a waste of time.

Video games are a harmony of past artforms, from paintings to music, like a play in your own home.

Graphics are secondary compared to the power of music, but there's no damned excuse for shirking any of it, from graphics to music, to gameplay.

If you can do your best, you should. Within time constraints, of course. You still need to finish the game.

But in my opinion, the ideal priority list is such:

Gameplay>Music>Story>Graphics.

If you can't provide one, you had best assure the rest is damned good.