PC Peripherals and Recommendations thread

Just built myself a new computer for recording, streaming, video making, gaming, etc etc. Most of my money went towards that, and I've decided it's time to upgrade from my crappy wireless HP keyboard, and get something mechanical for all the typing and playing I do.

I've got it narrowed down to two choices after about 2-3 hours of research, but I figured it'd also be a good idea to see what you folk prefer in a keyboard, what you don't like, etc. Not just a keyboard for that matter either, what controllers do you use? Mouse? Headphones? Microphone? Anything you want to talk good or bad about, discuss it.

The GAMDIAS Hermes GKB2010 has tons of macro keys which would be good for editing, and comes with a HUGE coverplate that doubles as a wrist rest. It also uses Cherry MX Brown switches, which is my preference when it comes to key feeling, and noise reduction. The main problem with it is that the software it uses for macros is hot garbage, and motherboards tend to have trouble detecting it on wakeup, and sometimes not at all. HOWEVER, there is an option to switch the key rollover to be 6-key, negating all motherboard issues, at least on startup. It has a red backlight, which is a subject I've completely given up on. although I do enjoy backlighting, and red isn't my color, it's not worth the hassle to buy RGB or another color if it doesn't have the right switches. Function over Form I suppose. The biggest issue I have with this keyboard is that NO ONE has one. Meansing not very many people can say if it sucks or breaks in 3 months, etc.

The Corsair Gaming STRAFE keyboard has a 100% standard key layout, and no weird macro placements or extra buttons, just a normal keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches. It's also 100% plastic which isn't really what I enjoy, but if it means not paying double for something stronger + different lighting, I can deal with the plastic. Nothing else really to mention, just that I'm OK with shilling up for corsair products because from what I can tell, it's better to buy something proven to last than something with more functions that breaks easier.

Have you used these? Which would you recommend? Do you have something better that you use for a better price?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f0sxgremIRk
amazon.com/Nixeus-Compact-Mechanical-Keyboard-MK-RD15/dp/B00Z8E5E04
amzn.com/B01ER4B7K6
amazon.com/ErgoGuys-3XFIRE-ERGOGUYS-Pointing-Devices/dp/B001B2KNMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468793337&sr=8-1&keyword
youtu.be/MeMPCSqQ-34?t=31m20s
youtube.com/watch?v=aipXii-qWiQ
amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Keycaps-Cherry-Mx-Clear/dp/B00W02J7Y6
amazon.com/dp/B00JI2APZQ
amazon.com/104-Key-Illuminated-Mechanical-Keyboard-Backlighting/dp/B00LV5P2N8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1468976786&sr=1-1&keywords=mechanical keyboard code
amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0126HISOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1468978459&sr=1-1&keywords=hd598
amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B00A39PPDK
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've had these for a about a year now and they work perfectly all the time and I have absolutely no complaints about them.

That keyboard was on the top of my list until I saw the price of it while researching. It's a ting of beauty regardless, and it comes with MX Browns!

I've already got an OK mouse and looking to upgrade though, it's only 500hz. I just wish there was a wireless mouse with as little input lag as possible…

Do you two hand one? Or do you use two hands on both?

Why user?

The keyboard is worth the extra money. I've literally had zero issues with it since I got it; it's also reasonably easy to clean as well which is a nice bonus.

I dunno man, there's just something so nice about the freedom of it. Plus, I move around a lot and switch between my PC and laptop a lot, so wireless just cuts down the travel hassle by that much more.

If I happen to find another 70 bucks lying around, I'll pick up that one, or a corsair RGB just for the aesthetic of it. Does anyone in the thread have any experience with Corsair peripherals?

I really don't recommend to overspend in "gamer" peripherals unless you think your skill is already being hold back by the hardware.

If you are a beginner player, or just happen to not play a game to a really high level, these are just a waste of money. Of course if you ve got money to blow, go ahead, i'm just saying it's not a smart inversion.

Do you use your laptop to play vidya? If not, why not just grab a cheap wireless mouse for that and get a decent wired one for your PC?

Kill yourself.

no

You really should. Why would you want a meme keyboard?

I really do see your point, I think there's a line between getting something good because it's GOOD, and getting something you THINK is good because it's got the word "gamer" slapped on it by a company hoping to cash in on someone too ignorant to know better.

Corsair doesn't mess around with their stuff to my understanding, you're paying more plus a little extra for a good product, which is why I'm looking for someone who can confirm or deny that.

Either way, I use to be like that, which is why I made this thread. I owned turtle beaches, and am fairly ashamed of that now. I went out and bought some budget audiophile gear for a headset now, and it works wonders, and is hella comfy to boot.

What the hell is it???

Not a bad idea, I'll invest in a good wired mouse after I move next week, when I can ACTUALLY get a setup working and get things where I want them to. I'm currently at the kitchen table in the living room right now. Not the best place to have an expensive computer around family who knows nothing about it.

Fuck that stupid kid's toy trash, kinesis advantage master race.

What is "overspending" to you? Is it spending X amount of dollars for an item, or spending more than the item is actually worth?

You don't fool me, that's a spider's keyboard, fuck off spider, this is a human imageboard.

As a person who has huge hands I would recommend the
basstyle mouse(biggest mouse)
Havit - MS732
Havit - MS475(cheaper Havit mouse)
Sentey 3400 mouse

I like the Keytronic Keyboards and the Gamesir G3 gamepad

Yeah, I've used both one of their mice and keyboards.

I'm abusive to my gear, so I've gone through two mice (I'm onto a Roccat now though, which was cheaper, though I dunno about durability yet). Those were m65s if I remember correctly. Both lasted about a year, and that included slamming the mouse in frustration and heavy wear.

As for the keyboard, I have the K70 rgb. Decent keyboard, definitely a step up from what I was using (some $20 cheap thing). It's pretty decent, I've split beer on it, and the only damage was to a few rgb lights losing certain colours. Other than that though, it still works fine.

From my experience, Corsair makes a good product that is more robust than most others, while still remaining just as good as others out there. They're definitely worth it.

I think it's the same thing, just back and front. So I'd say it's two hands on one.

What is this? How LONG do your thumbs have to be to hit enter? I agree with , you ARE a spider, bugger off

I think it's all about matching what you need to a product, and paying what it's worth or less.

I'll have a gander at 'em, I too have huge hands.

Only a year? Hmmm… How much more durable do you think the K70 is compared to the K65? do you think it'd last you at least 2 years? also, at least 10-20% of the reviews I saw on Roccat stuff said things about durability issues, and that's the main reason I've not looked too much further into their products. Has your Roccat stuff given you anyhitches that could turn into problems?

That solves that, mystery solved… now if only that spider guy would leave the thread…

So you think it's ok to pay a lot for a peripheral as long as the bells and whistles justify the price?

That's perfectly reasonable actually

well maybe you should stop masturbating

If you really NEED or WANT the bells and whistles, absolutely. Do you show off your PC setup often? Get something with RGB, if you have the cash for it. Purely functional? colors shouldn't matter, just durability and abilities of the product.

Jokes on you, I'm mormon

Jokes on you, I've seen you masturbate and you need to stop for your health and my piece of mind

That first Havit mouse looks actually really good for only 25 bux, I'll keep that one in mind for a starter mouse if I feel I want to try a wired mouse before committing.

Dang man, u got me

aren't they all wired? they should be

I guess I had to stop you while you're standing on the edge

The first one was the only one amazon still has, let alone any website with a good shipping policy. No one wants to deliver things to me at the EDGE OF A CRATER

oh . . .

has anybody bought that anal-log keyboard meme thing yet?

As a person with small, rat-like hands, I recommend these.

yeah bro get that competitive edge buy that sick ass gaymen M and K why gitgud when you can buygud. dont forget your extra wide monitor for that secret pay to win and it comes with a free 1 month wow subscription and buy our gaymer fuel too bro illuminati confirmed

I've heard nothing but good things about all Zowie mice, but I've crippled myself into needing at least 6 side buttons for everything I do in an average day.

Also, that was one of the many keyboards I was considering. The only issue I have is that it's a bit basic and higher priced for the model with a numpad, and I absolutely need a numpad for all the video editing I do.

At least grab some music if you're gonna use the aesthetic. youtube.com/watch?v=f0sxgremIRk

if youre in to vaporwave youll love our new jenkem vaping pipe, leave the competition in your 'vaportrail' with this officially endorsed gaming pipe clinically proven to enhance your reaction time from .69 to .420 see you in the big leagues kiddo

I haven't splurged on unessentials.

Depending on the system i'd recommend different things.

For a laptop a mouse will be a problem, so i'd recommend a gamepad with buttons under the triggers. Rumble removed to save weight. And some excessive solar and battery to go with it. Then do a lot of traveling. If possible an ultraportable with the best laptop GPU available. Screen removed for weight & batt life. Laptop kept in a waterproof cover for vibrations and protection from the elements. Use a phone HMD as a display and to type. Phone as a backup too. 2D to 3D conversion done on it.

But definately required is some cordless earbuds. Otherwise the cord will require repair every several weeks. Made to be replaced like all comercial shit.

If a desktop then a wiimote and nunchuck and or two flight sticks filled with buttons. Force feedback for her pleasure.

Needs 2 sticks and somewhere in the centre to secure a phone. Battery in the system charging it and allowing charge to be connected to phone. Phones should have at least 2 USB-C ports. Also each grip should should be seperable.

I think gloves would be a better option, used in combination with speach, body movement and things with triggers and sticks to grip.

Get it, you won't regret it. In all honesty, all keyboards using Cherry MX swithches are all pretty much the same. The Rapid-I was just the cheapest one I could find with back-lighting. Also if you're not familiar with switches, I'd advice brown switches. The tactile feedback is very subtle and encourages touch-typing. Red are meme switches.

Also this mouse feels great, it's the first mouse I've used that I've never felt any cramping even once. The sensor is apparently amount the best around, but I'm not into commutative shooters so it's not something that I would notice.

I play a massive variety of games, with and without a mouse, so If I see it on the cheap I'll grab that one. My bestbuy actually has a lot of mice on their discount rack at like 40% off, and that zowie is one of 'em.

Yeah I figured red switches were meme switches. I love the feeling of browns far more anyway, and since they're quieter than blues, they don't interrupt recording nearly as much.

I want that keyboard more than ANYTHING, but finding one for less than a couple hundred bucks in canada is a losing proposition.

the best keyboard I've ever used, bar none, was a microsoft sidewinder x6. It was literally perfect and I regret every day giving it away to my friend.

Do they make anything similar to it nowadays? any modern day equivalent?

I wish. the biggest things I liked about the X6 were the detachable, magnetic numpad (desk space used to be an issue for me, it isn't anymore though) and the volume knob. I've found a ton of keyboards that have volume/media keys but the layout and feel of those buttons and that fuckin volume dial were PERFECT. that's why I want the das keyboard pro but again, that price

Those small keyboards are cute but

Also, to Anons with mechanical keyboards, which switch did you get? MX blue are noisy but holy shit typing feels great.

I just buy cheap £10 keyboards from wherever. They're easily replaced when they break and the money is better spent on a quality studio headset.

I hear that blues are really good and loud, but I think I prefer the greens because if I'm going to hit hard, I want to hit REAL hard. Either way though, I'll always go browns because of the noise.

That sounds absolutely phenomenal, I've only seen maybe 2 or 3 keyboards with features like that before, ever.

very nice joke

If you know anything about studio-grade stuff, do you have any recommendations on a god mixer for streaming? or any peripherals for that sort of thing?

If you like clicking keys and want to hit really hard then yeah, green would be the best choice for you, those are usually also used for the space bar on blue keyboards.

They're literally blue ones except they require more pressure.

But yeah, I love that sound.

I had a launch model DAS 3 that I'd been using for about 5 years. I finally conceded that I only use the numpad about once every other week and decided to get something 10keyless.

I picked up this cheap Chinese keyboards a year ago, and so far, the knockoff Kailh switches are indistinguishable from the real cherries in my DAS.

amazon.com/Nixeus-Compact-Mechanical-Keyboard-MK-RD15/dp/B00Z8E5E04

Used the G710+ for years I really liked it. One thing to note is that it is plastic and a good deal bulkier than many other keyboards, but it's still a very nice keyboard. Logitech makes pretty quality stuff. And if you wait for a sale, you can catch it as low as $80.

Bought the Corsair K70 Lux RGB to replace it about a month back and I really like it. Aluminum frame, the backlighting is nice, even on just solid red, which is $30 cheaper, and the wrist rest is god-tier. I also love having media controls integrated, so that's a nice bonus It's really nice to type on as well.

If you plan on spending more time editing than you do gaming, it might be worthwhile to look into a buckling spring keyboard like Unicomp's line of keyboards. I use one at work and my hands start to hurt only after about 7 hours of continuous typing.

That's not a bad price at all for a keyboard of that grade, but I don't hear anything good about more recent kailh switches, to my understanding they're VERY cheaply made nowadays.

My buddy uses the 710+ and swears by it, but yeah, that k70 RGB is my dream keyboard, has everything I want, especially in build quality. Got a link to the cheaper red one? I just want to make sure I'm thinking of the same one, so many models it hurts.

This is what I'm using and it's god tier. Good choice.

yep

amzn.com/B01ER4B7K6

k70 is a police dog

That helps me out a ton actually, I didn't realize that colored LEDs were the only difference, thanks so much.

Oh and get ready to see the thickest USB cable you've ever seen.

I heard it was military-grade thick. All I know is that it's INSANE.

What a tasteless, underperforming piece of shit.

Corsair guy

Let me be clear: I'm abusive to my technology. To anyone who isn't abusive and slamming shit, this stuff will last for years. For something to last a year is actually pretty damn good with me.

As for the Roccat, I've had it about a week now. I'm trying my best to not slam it, but I wouldn't know about its durability.

And as for the keyboards, that will last. I've had mind for about 2 years now, and it looks like it won't die yet.

What are some good gaming mice that aren't overdesigned or edgy looking pieces of garbage?

What do you think of rolling keyboards? I use it to not make too much noise at night.

Here's the real question. Where the hell do i get a 1080p monitor that ain't 100 buckeroos?

OH DIOS MIOS

i surely hope you mean a crt tv

Fucking plebs

fucking pretentious retard

T O P R E
O
P
R
E

Found the poorfag.

Actually you know what. I just remembered that I have a projector I got from high school when they were throwing away old equipment. I'm going to set that shit up now.

HAHAHA
YES
Now all I need is a white sheet.

I'm also interested in this - I recently was in need of a new mouse and got myself the Mionix Avago, but I still need a mechanical keyboard (preferably with Cherry MX Brown switches) to replace my Dell keyboard. Any suggestions?

Have fun with a blurry ass resolution and changing $300 bulbs every 2 years

Where in the fuck do I obtain IBM key stems? All I can find from google is just the key caps. I found my old Model M and have been putting off restoring it for far too long,

I had that image pop up on screen when I tried combining brutal doom with hdoom.
Shit was scary.

I only found out about that because I poked around the .pk3 and found some leftover dev files that referenced "brootaldumb" testing.

WHERE ARE THE IBM KEYS EGGMAN?

Get a shitty old keyboard and program it full of macros

So here's a stupid question:

What's a good, cheap mouse with 2 (or more if possible, but I'm not expecting more than 2 without retarded cost) side-buttons that count as "mouse4" and "mouse5" when binding controls in vidya, but also isn't a cheap pile of shit and won't break within 5 minutes of use?

I've already tried a couple times now to find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and every time the scroll wheel breaks in under a day despite perfectly normal use, usually doing shit like jumping up and down with every scroll regardless of direction scrolled. All of the ones that don't look like they'd break are expensive and come with a thousand fucking functions I don't give a shit about, and all of the ones that just have 2 buttons on the side on top of being a standard mouse are apparently held together with barebones construction just long enough to ship before dying.

As-is, I'm using a pretty generic Logitech mouse (m100, according to bottom label) I got at a wal-mart to replace the equally-generic mouse I used for years with no issues when its cord finally died, and this one works just fine for everything I need. However, having those two extra buttons would be pretty handy, so I'd like to get a mouse with those, assuming it's possible to get a non-broken one without paying out the ass.

The only thing I'm looking for is basically just this (simple, durable, fucking works), but with two extra buttons for the thumb and no extra frills. This kind of simple mouse I'm using has proven to be just fine for me when playing vidya, never had any trouble with multiplayer when I used to bother with it, and on the off chance there's somehow some new AAA/multiplayer shit that requires a mouse with better DPI in the future, I'm likely not going to bother playing it due to disinterest anyways.

I'm getting sick of just trying to find a simple mouse with 2 more buttons, and ending up with either cheap Chinese trash that can barely hold together long enough to leave the assembly line, or a $100 "GAMER E-LEET PRO TURBO MMO" abortion with 22 buttons, neon lights, jagged edges that make it look like plastic origami and 6,000 DPI, all of which I don't fucking want or have any use for. Please tell me there's something out there that's not in one of these two extremes of utter crap.

I would say go for my recommendations

they are all under $20. but they have the gamer lights strobbing on them if that is a detractor for you.

i got a mouse with 7 buttons for under 30 dollars

good mouse, just a little on the small side, i think its techinically classified as a "medium" sized mouse, and I have long thin nosferatu fingers

amazon.com/ErgoGuys-3XFIRE-ERGOGUYS-Pointing-Devices/dp/B001B2KNMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468793337&sr=8-1&keyword

Filtered, chinkscum

chyyna

That has to be the most retarded feature I've ever seen for a mouse, it'd probably be obnoxious and you'd want it turned back off within 30 seconds. I can't say I really want my entire metal-and-glass desk rattling and making noise due to this, that shit only seems to work well with controllers, where the only thing it's rattling while rumbling is your hands. I mean, there's a chance it could be just retarded enough to be fun to mess with, and actually work well, but I doubt it.

This thing looks pretty decent, assuming it isn't another case of "will completely fall apart the instant it's non-refundable, even if that means it collapses mid-shipping". I'm not so sure about is the fact that it's $9.99 on sale on amazon, juxtaposed with the full $45 they'd ask normally, which makes me worried it'll fucking detonate or something at random due to defects, hence the price drop. A bit too far toward "look at all the design, so many patterns and colors" for my liking, as well, I could live with it if need be but it's not great.

Well, there goes any hope of it being worth it.

They have the "black plastic lump with neon lights" thing that was going on with the POS ones I tried that broke, so I'm not so sure about these, getting the same "chink (non)engineering" vibe off them. Also, the extra buttons aside from the 2 for the thumb have some really weird placement on them, not fond of that. Not all that bothered by the lights, my tower's already a goddamned neon catastrophe because it's a gifted prebuilt I've slowly upgraded to not be trash spec-wise, so I'm used to it by now.

No thanks.

Forgot my image, hit the reply button too soon.

ive had this mouse for at least 4 years now

I use a Logitech G710 except mine is the blue keys instead of the brown keys. Not only does the keyboard feel nice to type on in comparison to the scissor keyboard I had previously had but it also has slightly increased my typing speed due to the feedback in the blue keys. Best part is that I bought the keyboard brand new on sale for only $50 so I got a pretty decent tier mechanical keyboard at a price lower than the entry tier keyboards.

Get a Logitech M500. It's cheap, has all the features you need, and is probably the most durable peripheral you will ever own.

I use pics related.

they are both really good, the keyboard was preobably a bit overpriced but I love it so far so I dont really mind. only problem is that it doesn't have a numlock but I can just re-bind that to another key in most games.

If only I knew what the spider button does.

I also recommend getting a fight stick mini, its for ps3 and 4 but it works on pc just fine and its very cheap compared to most fightsticks.

Unless I'm missing something, a button programmed to cycle through windows sensitivity settings/basic mouse driver functions and two buttons available to assign freely aren't worth an extra $40.

Are there any good mechanical keyboards without any backlighting that's less than $100?

Take your meds, m8.

Blues are nice not as nice as browns but the problem is that Logitech doesn't manufacture the regular G710 anymore, just the plus, which is exclusively brown switches. I've seen it from sellers for as high as $200, where a new G710+ is $120. Anyway, a Corsair K70 with blue switches will be just as good unless you have some kind of attachment to the G keys, which I used on my 710+ maybe twice in 3 years.

Rosewill I know for sure does and I think Cooler Master makes some without backlighting. Both make pretty decent keyboards, so you can't really go wrong with either.

I found craigslist to be a good resource, but that can be pretty unreliable. Lots of shops like bestbuy and local shops usually have some lying around, but it's all hit or miss either way.

You magnificent bastard

If you're going on the cheap, you can find some oddbrand cherry mx brown keyboards on amazon for about 60 bux, but quality ones go for around 90, maybe 70-80 if you don't care about backlighting.

OP here, done and done with pic related

Never heard of the Arachnid brand, are they any good?

I noticed that problem with a lot of really good keyboards I was looking at, they just aren't made anymore. It's kind of ridiculous how hard it is to find quality nowadays.

That's what I've been using. Best keyboards I've ever had. A E S T H E T I C to me, too.

Dammit you people making me want to drop 160 on a single peripheral. It's just so beautiful

It summons the spiders.

Someone recommend me some excellent headphones. They don't have to be anything particularly special, however bonus points for
The No folding joints thing is especially important to me on account of the fact that the last 3 pairs of headphones I had literally fell apart on my head within 4 months because of them. Even now I haven't learned my lesson, and my current pair is being held together by nothing but an electrical tape splint. Video unrelated.

Can somebody recommend a decent USB controller? All the ones I have seen seem to be made of cheap plastic that could break if you look wrong at them.
My first priority would be compatibility with GNU/Linux, then price. Build quality comes in third place, but I want something that isn't utter shit. Preferably at least with one analog stick, but I can do without it

most commercial and standard controllers just work on linux because xinput, native drivers and a bunch of shit

I was thinking about the Xbone controller, since it has native drivers and the Dpad seems to have improved ever since the original 360, but it is kinda expensive. I was thinking on something sub-$50 that didn't require hacking the device or the computer, like it was the case with Wiimotes

Have you tried the Superlux HD 681? I got a pair for christmas and they've been absolutely wonderful.

why, that clicking noise is like orgasms in my ears

Nigger, pick one.

What I use.

Wash that thing

G710 is usually around $100 at most.

But trust me, mechanical keyboards are worth getting. I used to be in the camp of calling them pointless, but once I bought one and compared it to my old membrane models it was like night and day.

You're probably seeing the G710+ model which uses Brown switches.

G710 not-plus model uses Blues.

Dude, no. Build quality is absolute shit and the drivers that you're talking about are broke as shit. People have actually had to uninstall those drivers and use the 360 drivers instead to get it to work.

Why do most games default with the 360 drivers?

Because that's what most people use.

i have that mouse is good mouse

I use a Dualshock 3 and have to use Scarlet Crush which emulates it as a 360 controller.

Really? From what I have read, the Xbone controller is basically a 360 controller. The Xbone drivers were included in kernel 4.6 by Valve, but they were just small changes such as changing the device name and the likes

That's because there aren't any native drivers for PS3 controllers. Most Xinput wrappers you see tricks the system into thinking that your controller is an Xbox 360 controller instead of something else.

youtu.be/MeMPCSqQ-34?t=31m20s

So.

I hear you guys have opinions on mousepads.

I don't have a mousepad.

What should I get?

thinking of getting pic related. CM Storm QuickFire Rapid
good call or naa
also red, blue or brown??

It's alright

Get dem blues son. Reds a shit and Browns are just cuckolded Blues for people with pussy ears.

sick, i was thinking blues just wanted to check

Is there a way to fix the d-pad with the 360 controller?

I buy them as gag gifts.

What a pleb.

get a ds3 or ds4

I got pic related for about $70. Very plain aesthetics and good sound. Switches are black which might be a little though for some, but fine by me.

One caveat though, and its a big one, is that the left windows key is instead a function switch for the media controls on the function keys. If you got used to using said key for binds and macros it will drive you mad, after a couple of weeks I had already replaced most of my binds though.

Darn it!

You guys wanna see some gore?

I just spilled coffee on my Filco and it shorted. Gonna try to give it the Bath of Life but there is 4 years of gunk in there. Fucking brutal.

youtube.com/watch?v=aipXii-qWiQ This fellow convinced me of these philips headphones, and I'll be damned if I haven't heard anything better yet. At the very least, the best you'll EVER get for that price IMO.

That mousepad is so dirty, I thought she was holding avacados.

Oh I KNOW it's worth, but is it worth the extra 40 bux to get RGB lighting because I crave the aesthetic?

Reds are crap, Blues if you don't mind noise, and Browns if you want blues that have less noise.

Lord help me, I have a dog too, I pray my new KB doesn't get as bad…

Tactile feedback is really a must for mechanical keyboards, plus you don't even feel it if you bottom out. With reds lose a lot and gain little. Blues are what you want to go with if you have average to bara hands. Browns are for limp-wristed faggots such as myself.

Most of the hairs in there are of my two cats since they accumulate on almost everything I own.

Still it's no excuse for all of the crumbs and awful shit in there. I'm like, ashamed of myself for letting this build up. The spilled coffee was my punishment.

Good thing I don't drink coffee. But even then, when I DO buy a keyboard, it's gonna be a good idea not to drink or eat anything near it.

What mic solution would you guy recommend to a faggot that finds headphones uncomfortable?

Get more comfortable headphones.

I wish I had enough disposable income to finally move out and buy my own shit without feeling guilty about not spending money on the family instead.

I've been using the same keyboard for 16+ years now. Came with the first PC I ever bought, a HP Pavilion. Works flawlessly, never had a problem with it.

Whenever I try to use a different keyboard, it just feels weird as fuck and not as comfortable.

A converted DIN-5 or old PS/2 KB is alright. Reasonably cheap and better build quality than a lot of the stuff out today, and better tactile feel as well.

I personally wouldn't use a sub 5-button mouse at this point, just too handy. Not sure about adjustable DPI although I guess it could be handy depending on the game.

Most games on the PC tend to have decent XB360 controls so having one of those around isn't a bad idea. It's fine for most things, although the D-pad feels a bit squishy to me. Don't recommend for pre-2000 games.

Flight or space sims, if you can get one of the old Sidewinder sticks working you are in a good position, otherwise stick to a Thrustmaster of CH stick. Also keep in mind there's a lot of good OLD Gameport sticks lying around that merely need to be hooked up to an active Gameport to USB converter.

They break too easily and the keys are too soft to accurately use for gaming. I guess if you have a laptop/tab and are on the go alot in college or something though they could be useful.

>youtube.com/watch?v=aipXii-qWiQ This fellow convinced me of these philips headphones, and I'll be damned if I haven't heard anything better yet. At the very least, the best you'll EVER get for that price IMO.

I'll keep my eyes on these. I currently own a pair of K550s (which can't be compared because they're closed back and I need close back cans), but I'd like some open back ones too.
I can fully recommend the K550s btw. Great headphones.

My nigga.
My first mechanical keyboard and I don't regret it one bit. I like the multimedia key, because Windows doesn't let you define a custom hotkey for directly changing volume and I almost exclusively use headphones so I had no physical knob either.
After my front panel broke, I got myself a Schiit Fulla (yes, that's the name). Amazing piece of hardware.

Is that thing any good?

Fellow AKGfag here, try some Sennheiser 558s if you're looking for ~$100 open backs. Crazy comfortable, super wide soundstage translates well to vidya usage. If you're going much higher, pricewise, I'd probably stay with AKG though.

Just chiming in here to add that the Sidewinder Precision Pro specifically is by far the best model, better than the SPP2, and to be careful when buying one online to make sure that the proprietary adapter is included.
I keep hearing stories of people buying these for around two dollars at garage sales, and most of them apparently work as well as they did brand new.

Keyboards:
I've heard that the K70 had some issues with defective LEDs on a few of its production runs but this has been rectified as far as I know, and you can RMA if not.
Personally I opted for a K95 with the extended macro keys (18 attached to left side) and MX Browns. It has a nice, textured anodized aluminum backplane with an ABS underbody as well as a braided USB cord. The only problem I have with it is the power draw: it uses two USB male connectors instead of one. I don't really use any of the advanced lighting programming (animated, etc.) but I was able to easily change the color of each individual key and I make use of the mode switches at the top of the keyboard for swapping custom lighting setups. The volume bar is a scroll-able metal cylinder and it feels great. The best part is that you don't have to rely on software-only lighting. You can program separate in-hardware lighting configurations in the event you use GNU/Linux or another OS (though I believe there are some open source third-party drivers).
That being said, I've heard that Das Keyboard is neck and neck with the K95. It definitely has a more professional profile and doesn't feel as "video gamey" as the K95, not that the K95 is particularly video gamey to begin with.

KBC Poker 3
amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Keycaps-Cherry-Mx-Clear/dp/B00W02J7Y6

Das Keyboard 4
amazon.com/dp/B00JI2APZQ

CODE 104-Key
amazon.com/104-Key-Illuminated-Mechanical-Keyboard-Backlighting/dp/B00LV5P2N8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1468976786&sr=1-1&keywords=mechanical keyboard code

I didn't list the Ducky Shine 5 because most people don't want something that looks like someone decided to rice a generic, comes-with-the-computer keyboard and put mechanical switches in it. It does perform about as well as any other keyboard in it's price bracket though.

Whatever you do, don't buy any of Razer's bullshit. I made the mistake of getting a 2013 Black Widow ~2-3 years ago and it started double typing after about 2 years. The switches were plate-mounted and thus I could not remove them for cleaning. Alcohol/canned air wouldn't work either. The plastic was this matte-black ABS that eventually started to fade and had a habit of smudging quite easily. The audio passthrough was poorly isolated so you got interference and hissing even with no active signals on the line. The paint on my W key had more or less completely rubbed off from gaming because the paint they used was shit that wore way easily and had a poor binding to the plastic keys. I should have been wiser considering I already knew Razer headphones and some of their mice were notorious for problems and poor build quality. I do own a Death adder but its design is so simple that even they couldn't really fuck it up.

Headphones:

No gamer headphones. Also, stay away from Beats and Bose, this is brand-name trash. I have some Beats that I got as a gift. My specific model is discontinued and was ~300 dollars – the sound quality is completely beaten out by my shitty, second-hand Grados (SR80i) I bought for 70 dollars. Though I will admit that they have a surprisingly nice full metal construction.

Do not get combo mic-in-headphone systems and especially stay away from snake oil like the Razer Tiamat. Without going into too much detail, the 7.1 surround sound is a gimmick considering the drivers are of poor quality and their proximity to your ears makes the "surround sound" aspect virtually pointless. Your ears are essentially tubes of meat that operate in stereo. Open air surround sound systems work because of the interplay between your room, the acoustic properties of your head, and the slight timing differences the result from the distance traveled between each individual speaker and your head which. Your brain exploits these principles to extrapolate the illusion of positional audio. Most games already mimic this effect for stereo headphones using audio interpolation algorithms and most music is only 2 channels anyway, not that it would make a difference for the aforementioned reasons.

Some good brands are Seinheiser, Audio Technica, Shure, and Grado (good for metal and they have some decent stuff). Sony actually has some good headphones for their specific price range if you are looking for something south of 100 dollars.

A good all around recommendation (HD 598 Seinheiser):
amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0126HISOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1468978459&sr=1-1&keywords=hd598

and I'm personally eyeballing these to try out:
amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B00A39PPDK

Part 2 for:

You may want to looking into a good headphone amp + preamp if you have high resistance headphones (use google for a reference) for a close-to-audiophile sound quality without expending space or cash on a high-end sound system. Another thing to look at would be an external DAC/audio interface (skip the sound card) for an immediate jump in quality if you still use shitty onboard sound on your desktop/laptop. Of course these last few pieces of equipment are optional nitpicks for your basic 32 ohm headphone setup.

Microphones:
These aren't "good" in a professional sense but it would be sensible to spring for a clip-on mic (lavalier) or a desktop mic for gaming and regular voice chat. A lot of people use Zalman clip-ons or logitech desktop microphones but personally I'd throw in a few extra dollars for a Sony/Seinheiser/Audio Technica lavalier. Basically every brand I listed in the headphone section also makes shitty-but-not-bottom-of-the-barrel lavaliers which are good enough for skype and gaming.

Finally, I'd rather save money and spring for quality equipment than buy some cheap shit that I just kind of gets the job done. I feel a human-to-technology interface greatly adds to the experience of gaming and computing in general. Like safety razors, shaving soap, and fountain pens; owning quality technology is definitely one way to enjoy the finer aspects of life. You can decide for yourself whether this is a good piece of advice or not.

Sorry for triple posting, I originally wrote the keyboard section for the guy I am responding to but I extended it into a monologue about good technology and state of the art japanese animation

OP here, and the guy you responded to initially.

That's a TON of information, and I'm very thankful for that. Now I just need to decide on a keyboard that'll last for ages and have brown keys. I'm saving everything you said here for a future date, thanks so much for your trove of knowledge.

kek