Water sucks

water makes every game worse
prove me wrong

naval games can't be played unless there's water, retard

also people are like 60% water so if you take away the water there goes all your characters

The water segments in Tropical Freeze were well done.

Granted the water Levels were more boring than the rest, but they were still fun.

Same with Yoshi's Island and SMW. Water levels are placed in moderation, offer novelty and a different atmosphere, and that's it.

They may be less fun than the normal levels, but the fact that they offer a different format and atmosphere is also part of the reason why the game is generally fun and keeps you in your toes, and also why the other levels are fun. It contrasts them and you appreciate them.

Like all seasonings, water levels should be done with moderation, and with the right spice they can be fun, or a fun unique level.

This applies to platformers and 3D platformers. This also even applies to games like Pokemon or RPGs. Water areas, or water levels, are a decent change of scenery.

Water Levels are super fun in Mega Man.

except for skeletons and cool shit like that

name one good naval game

???

Worked fine in Monster Hunter 3

Depth is a game that only works underwater

Mine trolley/canon levels and normal levels were more enjoyable than any of the water levels.

DKC3 got water levels right. same with DKC2. The animals, the illuminating fish, the piranha that you had to reach checkpoints or it gets hungry, they had so much variation and kept them spicy and not-boring.

Wet t-shirt contests are vastly improved by water.

without water the skeleton never develops
the skeletons have to come from somewhere

also no characters means no technology and no character development

or life in general that we know of

since water is essential to pretty much every man-known form of life

Underwater areas in Battle Network 3 were awful.

water was the worst part about mh3, jumping off cliffs is way cooler

valid, but still not as good

you got me

except for hellspawn and creatures that subsist on alternate substances

that game looks pretty cool, but it would still be better in space

enlightened

Maridia in Super Metroid was fine, if anything better than Crateria.

Checkmate, mr. skeleton who doesn't drink.

?

are you saying TF had better water levels than DKC2 and 3?

That's up to opinion. I enjoyed them both. If i had to compare them both have their strengths and weaknesses. TF has them very big, explorable and broad, also the right amount of challenge using water physics, while DKC2 and 3 are more sink or swim and more fast paced, which don't highlight the water physics but great in an original way by elaborating upon it.

I enjoyed them both, at least we can state that water level or not, what matters is that the game is done properly and that the game is well done. If anything is well done, anything can be fun.

With that said, diddy kong racing had really fun boat races. As fun as cart or plane. That's another one.

SupCom: FA has fully-integrated naval gameplay with surface, submerged and amphibious naval units with their own systems of effectiveness and counters both inter-naval and versus air/land, fully balanced with air/land gameplay. It may have the most depth :^) of any of the planes of warfare, and is viable on any map with a significant water presence.

Prior to SC:FA, I hadn't played a single game, RTS or otherwise, with acceptable water combat.

Water is GREAT in games for decorative and/or aesthetic purposes. Which means, for water you actually interact with, it's in amounts which are wading depths at most. Tranquil forest streams, dripping waterfall caves, those are some of my favorite vidya area themes and they absolutely need water. Also, large bodies or water are great in backgrounds. Simply put, environmental aesthetics would be severely damaged if water couldn't exist whatsoever.

Now, with that said, actual swimming? Yeah, that's generally either garbage or at least, less fun than not swimming. In that regard, water and "water levels" suck, no argument. But if you want to take my decorative vidya water, it'll be over my dead body.

swimming is fun in exploration games. If you're in a cave and there's an underwater lake and you can't swim on it i'll be disappointed.

It's also needed for immersive or exploration games

Advanced Wars would be less fun without Naval units.

In effect and to counter OP's statement, Without Water it would actually be worse, with water units it gives the game a deeper meta.

The SM64 water worlds are excellent.

ACE
OF
SEAFOOD

No.

water slows you down, crateria ruins are cool as fuck

ok that one is good as hell

no both games are good, just water levels are bad

yeah how can i be an a e s t h e t i c sad boy without my fiji water

but is swimming more fun than running?

submarines and air carriers are pretty rad

not as good as the world where you hand out with bomb boys and get shot out of cannons

ok that game is rad, and by extension I fucking love shrimp

ok some shitty little jap island that's cool

enlightened

you are slowed down before getting it and to not be slow you have to be purple (shitty color)

OP's statement is "water makes everything worse" not "any water level is worse than any other non-water level"

and just for the sake of countering that statement that you're aiming for, the water levels ins SM64 are better than other non-water levels. Dire dire docks or submarine dock level are better than the snow level or haunted house. There you go.

And I don't mean that out of opinion, I mean it stage-design wise

how can I be a sad boy without the ever a e s t h e t i c d o l p h i n

Shit thread, OP will do nothing but deflect, sidestep and pretend to be a reatard.

In the cave situation, I'd just stick to streams and waterfalls aplenty, but no significant bodies or water to necessitate swimming to begin with. You're not missing any exploration opportunities by not swimming if there's no water deep enough to swim in anyway.

Otherwise, though, I am totally into exploring a big world, don't get me wrong. In fact, that's pretty much where I'm happiest in gaming. But even in my favoritest games EVER with fun exploration and swimming, the parts with swimming are the lest enjoyable of all the exploration. Mostly because there's always less to do while swimming than walking. You probably can't use any special moves, special items, or maybe even attack at all while swimming, jumping doesn't matter while swimming, swimming is usually slower than your character can run, and if you're diving you now have air to worry about which is anti-fun too, I could go on. Swimming is always the most boring form of travel.

And large bodies of water have the least visual interest too when you look down at them, just nothing but the tiling water texture or tiling water tiles, depending on if it's 3D or 2D. Conversely, creaks and streams and shallow flowing water always has much more visual interest.

I get people having their own opinions and all, but the gravity suit not having a far better color scheme than its predecessors? That's not an opinion. That is simply wrong. Gravity suit's color scheme is so much better than Samus's unfortunate default red and yellow palette.

Personally, I'd say the Mario 64 water levels are better than the clock and sky levels, as those are my personal go-to worst levels, but whatever.

to continue, the developers intend you to go to Maridia WITH the gravity suit, so what matters is the gameplay as its meant to be played and how it was designed. That's not a real excuse, but rather a retarded answer like

stated.

It's ok, we're defending the use of water in videogames so its interesting to appreciate its presence in vidya.

Wet/Dry World in SM64

If its useless big masses of water only used as the map limits like on GTA. Yes, its fucking garbage.

But if its like some deep sea shit like on SOMA, Red Faction, No one Lives Forever, then its awesome.

Now that I see it hes probably baiting to promote discussion and vidya share.
And its working marvelously

Trips

You just lack imagination. There's plenty of cool things to put inside bodies of water. SM64 did a very good job with dire dire docks, so did SM Sunshine with many levels and water segments.

Water segments should be done in moderation and as stated initially>>10071039 It's supposed to be done as a novelty or applied to add a depth moment or one world of the many in the game. Is it more boring than normal levels? sure, but does it offer a nice change in pace? yes it does.

i do except for purple (shitty color)

prove me wrong

enlightened

The last level (with rainbows) was fine. They took difficulty into account since its the last world, same with clock level. From that foundation I understand the design.

I understand if you don't like them, because they can be frustrating by nature whether you're good or bad at the game.

That was actually one of the worst levels of the game. It was more a tech demo than a level itself.

Wrong: In Lisa part 1, you can cheat to go into the pond in the town and Marty will say "Are you cheating? Fuck you!"

In Lisa part 2: you can get bottles of water to cure ailments and dirty water to poison enemies. You can also find the fishman's village in a puddle of water that will let you unlock Harvey, Fly, and Ollie.

There's literally nothing about water in Lisa that's bad.

It is still more original in execution and design than your favorite game.

The problem isn't what's in water. The problem is that swimming is never as fun as running and jumping around or as well developed. And if you're not swimming in water, you're using some kind of vehicle to get around, and I've never found vehicle-based gameplay as fun as running and jumping and the other things character-based games do better either.

So to be super clear, watery environments themselves are fine, it's getting around in them that's the problem. If some game finally makes fun swimming for once, or does the Super Metroid gravity suit thing and simply makes being underwater function the same as not being in water, then fine, by all means use watery areas.

I'll meet you halfway and agree that water is fine in games, it's swimming that sucks. Or to be even more accurate, water itself is fine, it's the gameplay changing for the worse when you're in water that's the problem, since it usually does.

what if you hate wet/dry world specifically but Mario 64 is your favorite game?

that level is such garbage, like the water temple from oot

enlightened

doesn't mean it isn't shitty

that seems pretty alright

VERY ENLIGHTENED

I have bested you OP

what about it in space

wet/dry world was one of the worst levels in the game, and the problem was not its water implantation, but rather the unconnected, "just there" segments of the world, along with the barren design in general.

Its execution was original, I'll give you that. However the plate (or pot) in which the execution took place was of poor quality. and if you read a book just for premise alone, you're no different than those faggots who watch SAO just for the premise.

In this case, the execution was all it had going for it, in a very weak stage design. Yes, what matters is the what is being cooked inside the pot and not the pot itself, but in this case the pot is part of the meal.

The level was shitty. I wished nintendo remaked wet/dry world.

and by the way, no, the execution of water and different levels of it is nothing new. Zelda did it with the water temple and look how that turned out. Many 2d puzzles and 3d puzzles also use water volume to reach other unreachable places. Its not unique to SM64.

Wet/Dry world is not bad, but in comparison to the rest of the game its one of the worst levels. Good idea bad execution.

user I completely agree with you. They need to make swimming more fun. swimming (usually) feels like a crippled version of normal gameplay movement or gameplay mechanics.

Super Metroid did it right.

You're a faggot.

Translation: I suck ass at platforming and remembering where I am without waypoints, acheivements, and Let's Player videos to tell me what to do

You responded to the wrong guy so

If you're ok with wet/dry world, you're a good-hearted person and real human bean

If you're not ok with wet/dry world I have an extremely personal vendetta against your life.

The underwater temple shit on Regret in halo 2 is cool

Especially once you actually get inside the temple and you can just see out into the lake as you are fighting dudes

Water is what made Hoen so memorable and interesting.

I'm ok with Wet/Dry world. I believe it can be even better, that's all.

SM64 is a great game in general. It's not bad, all levels in SM64 are generally great.

Nice attempt, but even your Singaporean woodcarvings have forsaken your arguments

You're alright user. Don't go to school tomorrow.

I'll be watching the news. Go for the highs score.

high*

fuck me

benis

Without water, we wouldn't have surfin levels.

with that said, Sewer Surfin' in TMNT2 was actually a FUN level.

user you just found the checkmate.

Everyone look at this faggot - he can read words and even admits it

You're getting desperate, user.

enlightened

faggot misusing skeletons

not the best overall generation art wise

shut

2 checkmates
skateboarding, snowboarding, and besides surfing is 90% above water anyway

snowboarding/surfing etc levels still exist thanks to the existence of water though. If we had to get specific, the thread would be about Underwater levels only but OP never stated that, so it's anything water-related in general.

I bet you thought the fact they actually had the story somewhat more complex and fleshed out the Covenant instead of it being a doom tier nothing story was bad too faggot

>>>/suicide/

ur gey

HALO is the COOLEST game ever brah like literally "wow", "It's so good."

Going out on a limb and half-assuming that you're serious, but yeah, the design minimalism of Halo 1 was actually very well thought-out. They weren't pushing for nothing but more and more polygons like these tasteless shit-fests that come out today - like that one game where the entire gimmick was that you could call down mechs and use them in MP, but it was just CoD otherwise - I literally can't even remember it's name it was so fucking retarded…."but it had good grafix bro!!!11"

Welcome to Holla Forums, now get out.

also, nice guaranteed replies post :^)

That's pretty edgy of you.

I have never played this game, although the ubisoft logo underneath tells me I'm not losing much. Is it any good?

there was a time when EA was godly as well. Yes, it's a fantastic game, but it becomes the best with the GWX mod for it

really all a video game story needs and should be is a valid reason to fuck shit up and have fun any more than that and the game is overcrowded with cutscenes and dialogue and not punching and maiming

Depends on the game

Depends on the case study/scenario.

e.g: Baldur's gate would be pretty shitty without story

valid, but i'm not all that into rpgs

You need to leave
Halo 2 was a shit tier game, especially on its plot.
Halo never needed a fucking plot, all its bests moments and player feedback achievemens are based on premises and premises alone.

Now go plug your anal cavity with your Hueg before Microsoft fill it up by releasing Halo 6 and raping a decent franchise and its cocksucking fans.

kid go home

Also
>Doesnt know about >>>/suicide/
Leave

i never stated halo 2 had any of those. I was speaking in general. I dislike Halo 2.

This isn't fucking reddit.

>>>/reddit/

Now go.

It's out of nothing but politeness. It doesn't excuse my shit bait.

Should have checked IDs

Still, fleshed out stories are worthless when its badly written garbage, Halo did minimalism right and then its sequels shat all over it.
There was a sense of mystery and grandness to its Universe which fit the Space Opera feeling it was trying to achieve along with its premise, especially with the space gorilla tactics and jungle warfare design of its vehicles.

You aim before you shoot, user. You aim before you shoot people. You need shitposting-discipline.

I guess you're right, Im currently replying to you after all.

You're the one randomly being a faggot to people who have different opinions than you, on Gaylo of all things.

I tried to be nice, but please kill yourself.
The board you linked can help you with that.

enjoy your sand

would you rather have water replaced with lava or concrete

sure is casual around here today.

Its July user

The best thing about Halo is it's lore, at least for me.

Also, Halo was never just about shooting aliens with no expatiation. Bungie had lore planned out way before the game was released, and there's a reason the first novel came out before the first game. You have to remember Bungie is the same company that made marathon, after all. They like having thought out narrative shit.

Well, gee, maybe if you payed attention to the lore and read the books and stuff you'd actually see the vastness of the universe the series has and have the very elements you discuss expanded on.

There's literally not a single faction in the Halo lore that's black or white. Even the UNSC is at best is dark grey, what with kidnapping kids to use as supersolider secret police to prevent Independence movements and having half of them die in the process, or taking in war orphans who hated the covenant for murdering their families to use as suicide troops.

Maybe if you weren't a pleb that only played the games or even just actually payed attention to the plot in the games you'd know this.

great game. great multiplayer.

related

Forgot to add this.

If you like the fact that in CE, it felt like there was a lot more to the universe the game was telling to you and you liked the implications that the UNSC was using guerrilla tactics, why would you prefer to not see those things expanded on and actually see what that "more" is?

There are obviously times not knowing and filling in the blanks yourself is more entertaining then knowing the answers, but that's not the case for fucking everything.

Argument discarded
Go back to Reddit

The comics are also all garbage aside from this story.

Maridia was great.

Nohr route is alright, but the rest is just shit.

In a 3d game? Works pretty well for me in monster hunter.

>route in which you act like a beaten housewife and rejoin the fuck who tried to stab you in the back was the best
cuck

Just because it works doesn't mean it's more fun

be honest, have you ever seen a post saying something like "am I glad this isn't summer or this thread would be shit"?
I thought not.

And it doesn't work in space because gravity is actually important (see: stun missiles and going too deep).

Fates is a shit fire emblem in general

Fuck diddy kong racing

Fuck that octopus

HURHURR GONNA GARGL YOUR BAWLLLS

shit thread

I think there was a bit too much water in the later crysis and battlefield games

Majora's Mask did it well. It's cool in racing games too. 2D platformers almost always do it well.

The trick to making good water levels is to use it to allow for fast, three dimensional movement with at least as much movement options as on land.

Most games slow you down and make it so you have to trudge through the shit slowly and with only one move and no attacks.

can't have fishing without water

true. Its a shame because playing as a mankete and being able to make plot relevant choices could have been really awesome.

say that to my face you faggot

World 3 from Super Mario Bros. 3 was always my favorite.

Well ice and snow are frozen water and snow levels are the best thereby making you knights of the told republic

The what now?
Crysis had one game and Battlefield ended after 2142.

STOP

I've started watching a couple of days ago and I have suddenly witness so many references of the show not only on Holla Forums. It feels like a goddamn sign from God or something because this show has invaded my life. It's making me insane.

What games have the best light, cosy water? I'm talking water you can see through, straight to the bottom, that makes life feel better for existing.

Super Mario Sunshine.

fishing in terraria feels so overpowered

Super Mario Sunshine comes to mind.
Also
Mah nigga :)

Rayman Origins/Legends

Nobody would do it otherwise, really.

what else? does a certain bukkake simulator come to mind?

good point

great choice….this one is another favorite

It does make the game worse, in a different way.
All the need to do is add tilting and escape pods

It's the Baader-Meinhof effect.

People have always posted the reaction images, you just notice them more now because you're watching the show.

What if YOU are the water and have had enough, time to strategically evaporate, condense, precipitate and drown those landfucks and erode their fucking bitch ass rocks too.

EA was never good. They're the core Jew since ages unknown to man. They just had good studios releasing good games under their name.

Blatant lies. Gotta agree that BS1s only redeeming quality was setting the world up for the only BS worth playan.

it really did bump up the cool factor for the second game

my bad heres a better gif. i knew i remembered it being larger.

Now you've made me wonder, what would NipShock be like? Deep Souls? Standard JRPG? Can't imagine NipShock as a FPS, they'd do it in 3rd person.

Flying Duckman

I remember this. Doesn't Cortana say "Look at this place. It's beautiful" or something?

I recall saying "Beautiful? What are you talking about? I can't see shit!"

a pachinko machine

Ulilililia enjoys it and I do too.

I liked playing as the Arbiter. Especially that one level where you find the Index, and you slowly gather the scattered remains of the previous strike teams as you go. Never again did I feel so much investment in a few jackals and grunts, all outfitted with needlers. I even managed to save some of them when the flood and sentinels jumped us.

No, mr wannabe halfsatan, we're talking about games. So no VN either.
You posted good pics so the faggotry you now displayed doesn't erase you from my book of cool people.
Please don't make me regret this user.

oh im just having fun. well in any case, they know their way around a third person shooter for sure. lost planet, splatoon and armored core are good examples.
it might also make for a fun strategy rpg where you play as andrew ryan against fontaine. perhaps there would even be multiple non canon endings as well.

Sub Rebellion

Nah, strategy would be covered by KrautShock. It would be an absolutely autistic tycoon game in which you make or lose a fortune by developing and selling plasmids or smuggling and producing contraband, building your own sector of Rapture and defending it against sub attacks. Underwater X.

My fucking nigger

Cities Skylines has cool water physics

Their business practices and their games havent always been one and the same. Goes to show how few games you actually have played.

Everybody hated it but in retrospect, after the shitfest that was 4th gen's mounting and "jumping", underwater hunts weren't so bad.

Comfy as fuck atmosphere too.

OP never went for a dive with Lara Croft in one of her Tomb Raider games.

He never made her climb the highest point in the level and made her elegantly swan-dive into a lake.

He never made her wet.

He never explored with her underwater looking for secrets.

via Caravelli, Venice

You are entirely and profoundly alone in this opinion (which is shit, by the way).

That's okay. I'm also alone in playing the last good Monster Hunter game without any friends or online play because Nintendo and Capcom fucked up with the 3DS.

The memes in MHGen have sealed the deal for me and I very likely will never buy another one.

Friendly reminder that cave diving is best diving.

all the puzzle level with water and time stopped water of this game are good

i miss lara so much

You don't like Nu-Lara? What are you, a misogynist?

squandered oppurtunities.
underwater hunting was VASTLY improved with 3DS' stereoscopy.

Big Daddies would be immediately replaced with Big Brothers.

old lara was like indiana jones going on advwentures and raiding tombs with a hint of the supernatural.

new lara is like bear grylls flailing about in the dirt and drinking her own piss so she can unlock +5% more accurate bow aim

I liked the flooded Vault in Fallout New Vegas where some of the lower corridors were flooded, so you had to dive into the unknown paths, then find air pockets so you can resurface.

Water actually makes Terraria more fun.

Depth, subnautica, submarine titans, Red Alert2/suppcom/wargame red dragon naval troops, atantic fleet and many more fleet based games.
There are a ton of decent games with water.

Is that hair?

People are made of polygons tough

on her head, yes

Mounting and jumping are barely an issue with 4U if you and the (eventual) friends you play with are not fags, and you avoid using IG which is a shit weapon anyway.
Your opinion is situational nitpicking to prove to yourself that your inferior monster hunter game is better than the ones that came after it and that coincidentally you didn't play.
I do agree with you on MHGen tough, sadly.

I loved HL2 water back then. It looked so fresh and clean and cold, despite being full of garbage.

Looks like someone is projecting. If I had to guess I would say you actually never played MH3U/Tri yourself, and only actually started the series in 4U. Perhaps that's why you're feeling so defensive about someone who already stated their opinion is unpopular criticizing the game.

I actually started the series with mh portable third because ppsspp emulation got good enough you could play it with a Hamachi server.