Sword combat

post games with cool and intense blade combat

Jedi Outcast and Academy are still only games that did fencing right.

I don't know why Bushido Blade wasn't the first answer.

It's anime
It runs at 15 fps
It's a fighting game without any coherent online component

Modern rendition with realistic art style, no FPS lock, online versus play and some freeroaming mode would be dope as shit though.

OH DIOS MIOS

The few parts on oot where you have to fence. I read somewhere the original concept was to make swordfight more common, dont know why they added… 4 sword enemies?
Mount&blade fencing is alright. And all the games above

Will the souls cancer never end?

its more like ninja gaiden meets onimusha, you gigantic casual.

sauce pleasu

game name is in the video title

I'm serious

this is a good game

I just hate that it got censored for no reason other than personal feelings.

what happened to it?

buy it from the developers, not carpe fulgur

They drew a bunch of towels on the girls in a hot springs scene.

One of the best 2D games ever made.

The problem is that expanded version didn't get english translation, not one single image, you pedoshit.

I don't think you know what fencing is, user.

Slow yet deliberate and nerve-wracking

Here comes the censorship apologists.

It only needed some refinement right?

This is still the best sword combat video game ever made. The only flaw is killing enemies without combos is hard, and combos are too rewarding.

Exanima hands down literally zero contest.

Or Mordhau, actually.

If only someone would make a sword combat mod for GTA IV.

Looks like a polished version of Zelda 2.

Are there any games that have good fencing?
Besides that niddhog shit since it looks like trash.
I fucking love rapiers but most games just make them uninteresting as fuck

way of the samurai 3

stop being a baby, just take it up the ass like a normal adult!

Soul Calibur series (Including Soul Edge/Soul Blade)
Jedi Knight II
Bushido Blade
Blade of Darkness

Rune
GMOTA (Doom Mod)
Shadow Warrior (Both Classic and Redux)
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

There's not very many games that have good sword combat…

all this cuck taste, holy shit

At this point Musou has move variety to melee combat.
It's like the worst idea ever.
M&B has some good stuff in it, but combat isn't one.

although not in the realm of realism, ninja gaiden black, 2 and arguable razors edge all bring satisfying and bloody bladed combat

Momentum based melee damage is infinitely better than simple damage tracers, even if it's a little wonky at times.

also i'll add, sigma 1 is okay, sigma 2 is unacceptable, and ninja gaiden 3 (vanilla) is an abortion

The fuck is damage tracers?
Directional attacks like in Jedi Knight games?
Well nigger one style in Jedi Outcast has like 16 fucking attacks in standing/sitting position, linking with one another depending on your movements.
Add 2 more styles to that and a bunc of special and aerial attacks.
And then Jedi Academy added 2 more styles in.

Yeah M&B's momentum-to-damage bonus is cool, but it's just a gimmick, it doesn't make barebones combat system any less shit.

Attacks make a tracer in the path that they take, and if they cross the enemy, damage is dealt. They make it so that swings which would otherwise have little to no momentum deal full damage, which is fucking retarded. Ever played a game and been hit by a swing at the very start or very end of its animation, when it's obvious to you that it shouldn't have hurt anywhere near as much as it did? Momentum prevents that. M&B's momentum system isn't just a damage bonus, it's the entire way melee works. If you get right up against someone and try to chop them (with a non-energy weapon), as opposed to a push cut, a pull cut, or a stab, it should do fuck all.

Why are you sperging out about the Jedi Knight games when I didn't even mention them? Doubly so when you don't even know what a damage tracer is.

Damage tracers means the attack draws a line and if that line touches an enemy the enemy takes the damage value of the attack. What this results in is retarded LARP looking combat where the optimal play style is waggling attacks into people in ways that have zero relation to real combat, like starting an overhead swing and looking straight at the ground so the tip of the sword above your head at the start of the windup touches the enemy for instant damage or stabbing next to someone and then moving the tip of the sword sideways into their hitbox.

By comparison, momentum based damage is basically how weapons works in real life so swings actually have to be moving at a decent speed to cause damage. Rubbing a club on someones shoulder doesn't do jack shit to them, you gotta actually hit them with force.

I used to fucking hate playing Chivalry against level 50+ nerds. I could hold my own, but it just wasn't any fun.

Which is why I stopped playing it entirely.

It's not so much about the variety in attack animations as it is in the importance of positioning and momentum. If you are charging at a dude on a horse and release your lance at the perfect time, you will do a fuckton of damage because the velocity of your movement on the horse is added to the velocity of thrusting your arm for maximum effect. And it's also one of those games where a highly skilled player can take on several less skilled players at once and still win, as opposed to a musuo which is generally just button mashing.

The problem with the combat is that it feels pretty clunky, but it certainly does have a lot of depth to it. Combo lists and fucktons of attacks make games more complex but they don't necessarily make them deeper.

Yeesh, not liking all those negative reviews.

That's retarded.
You only should be ever hit by weapon's actual model, tracers/motion blur only needed for cool looks and/or easier telling what exactly attack was like for better follow up/retaliation.

I mentioned Jedi Knight combat because it's the best there is and has some similarities with M&B, as opposed to japanese games with preset animations per button press.

…you don't actually see the weapon tracer, mate. As the weapon goes in its swing it creates a tracer that the game uses to detect hits.

Yea I get it, it's hitscan vs projectile situation.
Come to think of it Jedi Knight games only used tracers for hit detection in special attacks done via LMB+RMB.

My guess is that japanese games and trash like warframe use tracers for everything.
But I pretty damn sure that at least DMC3 use motion blur effect only for feedback, and hitbox is pretty accurate to sword's model.
I can be wrong on this one though.

I can tell you for a fact that Onechanbara and Musou uses tracers for hit detection though.

There was Blade Symphony, its playerbase should be completely dead by now given it wasn't that popular in the first place, but still had a few stragglers.
Ironically the most recent update to it 11 days ago improved the bot ai completely to where they dont just run straight into you.
The combat is really fast, and the best thing to come out of it is the customization.
My only gripe is with the last few people I saw last year were only top skill narcissists that showed no mercy or lessons.

TL;DR "I'm too much of a casual to play this game so it's bad."

Except that's literally just a % damage buff. It's not simulated well at all. M&B's combat is fun, but it's sure as hell not in-depth. Exanima is the only game I can think of that actually has real momentum-based hits since it's entirely physics-based.

But it is pretty bad. I tried it some time ago and the combat is more clunky than, say, Die by the Sword and that came out in -98. Not to mention the poor performance.

Wish I spent more time on the alpha. Was playing Bloodborne at the time though and didn't see the point in committing to learning a new set of skills and such for an alpha. I never went back to it and deleted it.

At least there is a demo. I also felt like a total casual playing it.

Swords are gay. There's a reason we use guns now

Except that it's not only a buff, it's also a debuff. If you try and smack someone with a bardiche when you're rubbing nipples together, you're not gonna give the thing any momentum.

Exanima handles like arse from what I've seen, but a fully momentum-based melee system is admirable.

there's no way on earth you can be honest about that
the most you have to do here is swing your mouse at the right time
die by the sword was a fucking merry go round of movement

Fencing is fighting with swords, in any form.

Fencing was called fencing hundreds of years before the sport of fencing existed (e.g. 15th century German kunst des fechtens). It comes from the word "defense".

I'm having a pretty ace time as a Valkyrie in BDO.

Except it's not clunky. It controls really well. It's just retards who are too stupid to figure out a new control scheme.

Fencing is done with stabbing, not cutting, and as a sport is restricted to a small lane. You just say a fucking duel if you mean any kind of 1v1 sword fighting, or just sword fighting you mean sword fighting.

Go home Dinkus

who the hell is dinkus