So I was going to buy a shitload of PS2 games...

so I was going to buy a shitload of PS2 games.. then I realized pretty much every game I wanted had an HD collection on PS3

so I'm gonna buy a PS3 instead.. so I'm wondering, is it a horrible idea to buy one of these older fat models? I could just order a slim on ebay but someone local wants to sell one of these and I wouldn't have to deal with shipping.

I know they're not 360s or anything but are they that reliable?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_and_PlayStation_2_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_3
youtube.com/watch?v=JdzN72AXXCM
youtube.com/watch?v=A_4O40061ow&list=PL8F4F4BB3EE76866C&index=19
wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Jak_and_Daxter:_The_Precursor_Legacy
hackinformer.com/PlayStationGuide/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The fat models can play PS2 games. HD remakes are fucking gay. Just buy a fat ps3 and ps2 games

Which HD collections were you thinking of?

You're going to be missing out if the small handful of PS2 games with HD collections is all you care about. Hell, even the PSN selection of PS2 games is rather low compared to the vast library on it, and with Sony now focusing on PSN version of PS2 games exclusive for the PS4, I don't think the PS3 PSN is going to be getting much better about it.

Note: only some fats can play ps2 games, and the ones that can have really low storage and get really hot.
Check out the psn for ps2 games you want to play, and make sure there is atleast 10 exclusives on the ps3 you want to play.

A good point. The US 20 and 60 GB have full, or at least nearly full backwards compatibility due to having PS2 hardware, while the US 80 GB has only partial due to emulation instead of hardware (or something along those lines), and as such various games may not play, or might be buggy. Might be worth OP's time to double check the wikipedia page on it for what he's looking to play.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_and_PlayStation_2_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_3

I have an 80 gig that i think isnt ps2 compatable. Atleast mgs2 didnt work so idk.

I thought only the original models were backwards compatible? I'm not worried about it. I have a PS2 here.

Sly Cooper, Zone of the Enders, Jak even though 2 and 3 look like shit. I never played them, and Ratchet. Also hyped to finally play Catherine.

Hmm. US 80 GB or PAL 80 GB? There also might be a difference between the basic Sons of Liberty and Substance versions as far as playability goes. The wiki link only lists MGS2: Sons of Liberty as a Yes to both the 20/60 GB and 80 GB.

I checked the back, its an CECHL model, so not compatable. Its fine though i have a ps2. Its a us 80gig.

well just make PSN acc, its on sale for $5 right now

just so you wont miss it

Also JaK 2 is such a shit game, 3 less so but still only the first one is good one too bad emulation is fucked up for that one

yeah that's what I'm even giving in to buying this ps3. Jak and Sly 2 are completely fuckin unplayable. enjoying DQ8 for the first time atm.

you can get a really cheap ps2 console, even with a broken drive. then get a memory card with the newest free mcboot (if you know someone with cracked ps2 he can do it for you) and install newest open ps2 loader

then load the games into an usb drive from a good brand (samsung 64 gb fit should do the job). you'll be able to play games straight from the usb drive, at the cost of longer loading times, unstable cinematics and images larger than 4 gb needing the special treatment.

playing games from usb on ps2 used to be pretty shitty but the new usb drivers came out and it's now a reality rather than novelity

why not just buy a PS2 and have it modded to play pirated games burned to disc or read from a hard drive?
that way you can play all the weird shit that only got released in japan

The only HD collection I've heard to be shit is the Silent Hill collection.

Can you just buy an freemcboot mem card on ebay? I might get one of those.

I already own a PS2 lol. the thread got derailed a little bit.

Don't forget pre-patch ZoE HD. Thankfully HexaDrive fixed it, for ZoE2 anyhow.

HD remakes are almost always worse than the originals. Most of them are still completely playable but you're better off playing the PS2 games.

You could always keep in mind that some PS3s can have CFW put on them, and then you can just download PS3 games and DLC for free to put on there to your hearts content (there's also the potential for fan translations in the future; currently the only complete one is Tales of Vesperia PS3 though). But again, only certain models can take it, where the system is either at or below 3.55 OFW or can can be flashed back to it, at least from what I recall.

Devil May Cry, Metal Gear, and Team Ico collections are also worth getting

i plan on getting those as well. I have ico on ps2. I've never played SotC though. Watched my brother play through it when I was young.

You know which PS2 games you won't find an HD collection for?

3 collections for less than 20 bucks > buying 9 games

if we are at ps3s anything that can be done to help the performance in games? those fps drops are horrible

It also equals shitty games
Check the Silent Hill HD Collection and Zone of the Enders one to see how shit they can be.

It only gets slightly better than that at average.
Just do what anons have recommended and find a PS3 which is PS2 backwards compatible.

Honestly, plenty of PS2 games that could have used another chance in the limelight via HD versions but never got them. At least the Ace Combat games don't exactly have an issue with prices on the PS2 though, unlike something like .hack, where a pair of reasonably priced HD collections (or even PSN rereleases) would help matters a lot.

Probably depends on the game. I used to have a number of issues with Tales of Vesperia PS3, but the "install" option helped immensely. No more invisible encounters and vanishing item nodes.

ZoE2 HD got fixed at least. But yeah, Silent Hill HD is one that shouldn't be considered at all compared to the PS2 versions.

I do recall hearing though that SotC HD is better than the original, which had framerate issues or something.

metal gear solid and devil may cry collections were good, afaik. i never heard anything bad about them.

i dont really see a reason for not playing them, except that they are not "the original" for whatever thats worth, you fucking hipster.

SotC on the PS3 is locked at 30 but with huge drops as well and some iffy textures and out of place lighting.

ZoE2 is fixed. ZoE1 is garbage anyways.

I don't like Silent Hill. quit being an autist. I don't need a fuckin ps3 that backwards compatible when I already have a ps2.

did you not read the op?

I don't know if they run poorly on Xbox, but for what I've played, it's kept a steady 60 frames at 720p with some kind of AA. Same applies with MGS2, 3, and Peace Walker. I don't know Silent Hill, but if not having it pitch perfect is a deal breaker, use your best judgement.

I think if it runs close to consistently well, it's worth the savings of $80 and up depending on what Ebay resellers feel like speculating.

dunno about that but PCSX2 can get good framerate if you have a good PC and set it up right, embed related.

mostly because people can manage to do better with emulators now if they have a good enough computer. plus they are marked up considerably.

If you can find the Ico/SotC collection cheap, it's worth it, the PS3 version at least runs at a solid 30fps.

ZoE1 isn't that bad

For those curious about the size of the library of PS2 games available for the PS3/PS4:
*Note that this includes both physical and PSN only releases, a number of them never got a physical release, and in case of Yakuza 1 & 2 HD, were outright never brought west.

Admittedly there's a lot of licensed, sports, and shovelware that falls under the total PS2 library size, but the PSN and HD Collections are definitely missing a lot of worthwhile stuff.

I see. Well, I'd still say it ought to be taken on a case-by-case basis, as there's a good amount that range from worthwhile to acceptable, and then there's shitters like Silent Hill HD.

Zone of the Enders HD didn't even get fixed on the 360. I mean, to my knowledge, the 360 versions were somewhat better than the original PS3 HD collection, but ZoE2 is now fixed since HexaDrive does what HighVoltage doesn't.

Many publishers tried to "improve" upon the originals with different teams and utterly failed.
They are still doing and most are utyer garbage or look exactly the same.

If you think Crash wont be anything but a disaster Ive Ive got bad news for ya Sonny.

I think I got anywhere from 40-60 on PCSX2 when I tried to emulate it a year ago. It's not awful but it's not optimal either.

I know the gameplay is still solid but the MC is god awful

user PLEASE don't be such a faggot

Sounds like it runs better than it did on PS2.

I know many others feel different about Zone of the Enders, but I've found the PS3 remake acceptable so far. It's mostly a Metal Gear and Namco Museum machine to me and I bought it with that expectation.

How many would you say are good enough to recommend here?

I'd say there's at least around 50 god tier classics, maybe around 200 that are pretty good, 400-500 that are worth trying and the rest is shovelware.

Rough estimate, at least.

You wont have to plug two consoles to the same TV and youll have everything the PS3 had to offer.

How am I the autist?
You're the one whos planning to buy a PS3 solely for HD releases that barely change anything, and many times for the worse and plans to have two consoles taking space away and giving you more work.

wrong.

metal gear has inferior graphics(missing effects) and worse analogue control. missing content

I believe DMC has cutscenes in SD and the timing was off.

How fucking dumb are you?
Sony said it was a fucking remaster in front of a live audience while showing them the finger and giving out Skylanders footage at E3.

It does at a consistent framerate
I was pretty sure I saw framedrops when I saw this footage years ago, guess I was wrong.
Game looks fine since they barely changed anything.

Please, elaborate.

Pre-rendered FMVs presented in their original resolution, yeah. Nothing was off about the timing.

There's still a lot in the library that are good (I don't just mean mustplays either; depends on what all you enjoy genre/gameplay wise as to which are worthwhile), it's just that popular systems tend to attract more shovelware, licensed stuff, and yearly sports games since more people have the system. Whether or not the actual games of the library can back it up enough beyond that varies from console to console (looking at the PS2 and Wii, while the latter certainly has its own actual games, it's become a lot more known as a shovelware system than the PS2 did).

Of course, there's also the issue of multiplats which, while they might have a PS2 option, probably run better on the Xbox or Gamecube.

To be fair, the backwards compatible PS3 models do have low memory space for what PS3 games he'd have to get digitally due to no western physical release (or no physical release at all worldwide). Hell, I'm not even sure if Yakuza 5 can even be put on the 20 GB model, for example, but that one's admittedly one of the larger PS3 games to my knowledge.

you said that ps3 hd collections are inferior, shortly after someone mentioned dmc and mgs though. and we already know that those arent. they are fine - and cheap.
if you dont look things up before buying games you cant be saved anyway - so i dont see why you would tell anyone that ps3 hd collections are generally inferior. thats just not true.

iirc there were effects in mgs 2 that were toned down - not completely missing. missing content i dont know and cant find anything about that, but feel free to tell more
i asked in a dmc general some time ago and was told by multiple people that the hd collection is completely fine. so i'd believe that unless you provide some sort of evidence. surely there would be some sort of youtube video if this was true.
i remember hearing that they just didnt upscale it and used the original aspect ratio - thats not a negative point.

MGS at least was missing that Snake skateboarding thing, which was garbage anyways, and Snake vs Monkey and Guy Savage. Vs Monkey was cut due to wanting both PS3 and 360 versions to be the same (too lazy for PS3-only content?), and Guy Savage was a whole seperate engine, which Bluepoint didn't care to port over, for obvious reasons.

MGS3 HD is also lacking the Secret Theater.

Basically, window dressing was cut, content-wise. As I'm not that guy postin, I dunno what he's talking about about missing effects.

I don't play my PS2 enough to have it plugged it at all times anyway. seeing as my TV is also on my computer desk, where I have a PC, a fightstick, and a 3DS sitting… don't need two consoles there too

and now you're putting words in my mouth. I never said solely for collections, that's just the biggest reason for me being okay with doing it.

Secret Theater was probably cut because they were just video files, not in-engine cutscenes. The video files were already extremely low quality, even on the PS2 disc, so stretching them for a widescreen display would just be terrible all around.

If you want to see them, they're all on YouTube.

Secret Theater was fucking hilarious. I need to watch them again.

A guaranteed sure fire of playing PS2 games on a PS3 is if the model is a 20 or 60 GB model as those came with the the chip that had the Emotion Engine, the very chip that enabled its backwards compatibility. Those models are hard to find in good condition. Just go with the PS2 route to free yourself of any hassle.

Oh and OP, I'd recommend Yakuza 1&2 HD Edition if you don't mind traversing through moonrunes. Very good quality HD port of two great PS2 games. Shame it never came out in the West.

So stupid that Sega didn't bother with it, as it would alleviate how hard Yakuza 2 is to find in the west, not to mention the prices on it, but I suppose either poor sales on the original PS2 versions, or the other PS3 Yakuza games they'd brought west not doing well enough in sales might have stopped them from doing so.

When did Yakuza 1 & 2 HD even release in Japan, compared to the other PS3 entries anyhow?

I'd rather just get em for my ps2. fully japanese games give me a headache

Good luck finding a cheap copy of Yakuza 2. Seriously, it can be done (I got my copy a year or two back for only $12), but it is one of the handful of PS2 games that are over $45 or so to buy preowned.

Yakuza 1's a tad hard to find but not all that expensive at least (provided it's not shortly after the release of a new entry; Yakuza 5 spiked demand to the point that the only available copies online for a while were $60 or so).

if anything I'd end up emulating em. I'm not a fan of the series so I wouldn't put that much money into it. I've seen funny ass stuff from them though.

It's not, but it's basically a tech demo for the second game, which is better in every conceivable way.

Here is the easiest cutscene to compare

HD
youtube.com/watch?v=JdzN72AXXCM

Sons of Liberty
youtube.com/watch?v=A_4O40061ow&list=PL8F4F4BB3EE76866C&index=19

There's more but I'm tired. Took quite a long time to find version 1.0 of the game in decent quality(bar the commentary). Another prominent example I remember would be the vamp cutscene. The blood effects have been toned down drastically in later versions and HD edition.

I'll hijack this thread with a couple of questions.
When I run my PS2 games I have 2 problems, the screen stays 4:3, which is cool because that's the original aspect ratio, but it would be nice to have it in widescreen.
And the other one is that I can't sync the controller while playing PS2 games, I have to connect the controller directly.

I'm running the latest REBUG version with Cobra with the Cobra PS2 emulation rather than the original.

I have to wonder if Konami purposefully had ZoE HD fucked up to reduce sales and claim there wasn't enough interest in a third game.

I think only a certain amount of PS2 games have actual native widescreen options, if that's what you're wanting as opposed to just stretching 4:3 to fit 16:9. Probably depends on the games you're playing.

Here is a video that compares the blood as mentioned.

Oh and another thing: On the bridge again when raider looks at the semtex "That's the semtex… So that must be the control unit" is completely messed up in the HD version, you can't even see the control unit because the aspect ratio is messed up.

I actually just wanted to stretch it to play Jak X multiplayer.

Well, looking at wikipedia, apparently Jak X Racing can do 480p at 16:9 natively.

Does opening the PS3 menu while in there give any specific options to change the aspect ratio? Though there is a note on the wikipedia listing of the following:

Nope. But that might be because I'm using the Cobra emulator. I'll try the original.
And that's for the original PS2, not the PS3 PS2 emulator.

I know, I'm just wondering if the game lacks some internal setting or something to change it with, since that mentions that the setting change has to be done within the PS2 menu itself.

They both emulate pretty well.

Emulate. Only buy a ps3 if there are exclusives that you want to play and don't feel like waiting for a better emulator. The fat is fine, I've had no problems with mine.

It came out one month before RGG5 did in Japan, November 2012. For reference, Dead Souls came out in the States in March of that year.

user, you are my fucking nigger. Still, I think the legacy collection is a must-have just because. I also believe that parts of a game shouldn't be changed but ultimately the team behind it still did a pretty good job and any "faults" it may have can be looked over when you consider that whether you emulate or play the HD, shit is gonna have problems.

not every game emulates well. I don't have a monster PC or anything but it runs most modern games on high to ultra.. but it can't run a lot of these games. Sly 1 worked fine 96% the time. Sly 2?… lucky to be at 50% speed with the speedhacks cranked botching the fuck out of it.

specs btw

I'm assuming you set instructions and proper plugins and shit? As well as checking the PCSX2 wiki for a game-by-game setup?

Wait a minute, your PC is better than mine you complete cunt. I can run anything on top of OBS almost perfectly barring some games. coughcoughpathofneocough Something tells me you aren't following the wiki if you're having that much of an issue on your emulation.

yeah that's the video I watched to set it up. followed it all to a tee and it's still fucked. I really don't know what the issue is. I spent about two days fucking with it just trying random shit through trial and error after that video couldn't help anymore with no avail

I know I'm sounding like a broken record but you check the PCSX2 wiki with each game and tailor the settings specifically, EXACTLY as the wiki says? Each game is vastly different when it comes to PS2 emulation. If you still have issues, then yeah I guess PS3 is fine. I've had no problems with the Fat besides it's fucking weight. I think it weighs even more than an xbox hueg.

wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Jak_and_Daxter:_The_Precursor_Legacy

lol nah i haven't read that wiki page. that is handy though.

don't bother with emulation. Just get the real hardware, mod it, and actually enjoy your games for once.

You're gonna have to check it for every single game and change exactly to the settings they have up. PCSX2 is rocket science compared to shit like epsxe. Good luck.

that's pretty much where I'm at. I'm excited for it to just be simple as fuck. prolly gonna order one off ebay tonight.

modding a PS2 isn't exactly simple, but it's a minor headache compared to fucking with emulators constantly. If you make a thread, I'll probably find it and will gladly answer any questions for you. Plus, you're getting an accurate experience.

it's not hard for me, I have a good eye for detail. Knowing something stays the same is good for sanity.

Alot of work went into all these details by the original konami team. When someone else works on it, it is easy to break stuff and never know. Even if kojima is supervising the efforts he can't catch everything(plus he didn't make the whole games by himself)

thats some next level autism, i would never have noticed. thanks for clearing that up i guess
so its same in versions >1.0 and HD?

it doesnt necessarily make the hd version the worst of the two, i'd argue, but i see what you mean

Emulate PS2 games or play the PC versions.
Silent Hill 2 and The Room use PC versions.

The "HD" degeneracy compromises visuals for resolution.

Get a PS3 for PS3 games if you want to play them.

The Last of Us looks better on PS3. Worth getting a PS3 for. Only if cheap though. Otherwise should get a laptop, better graphics card or PS4 instead. Wait a while and may be able to get it cheaper or play games at possibly higher framerates with the degenerate more resolution to make hardware worthless version of the PS4.

I haven't had any PS3 or 360 fail on me and i've had 2 of both. I smashed a white one with no regrets, and gave away the other 3.

Newer models may be more power efficient, and perform better as they produce less heat.
Swapping the hard drive with an SSD should be a priority too.

Original models have region locked PSX& 2 backward compatibility.

Emulators do a better job, you can change rendering to taste and add extreme amounts of anti aliasing. May be able to change framerates to higher than original performance too. Like for Peace Walker on PPSSPP, 60fps onstead of 20fps.

The best HD remake on PS3 by far is Okami and even that had slight problems (namely FPS drops that are far more intense than on the PS2), thing is the other two version have all sorts of problems of their own.

Not if you're using OPL., games tend to slow down more than they did on real hardware.

There's your problem, should be fine for most game though just don't expect to play the more demanding games or using the OGL plugin which is vastly better than DX11 at the moment.

Also here's a short list of games you're not gonna be ablke to emulate at all in any sort of decent conditions regardless of specs.

i knew this. which is exactly why i'd rather spend 80 bucks or so on a ps3 than upgrade my 150 dollar cpu to 250 or so

You're a special kind of retarded.

I've had no problems with HDD loading, some games list compatibility issues but otherwise this seems to be the best way to play.

Ape Escape 3 has way more slowdown than it's supposed to, just try HDD and DVD with ESR back to back, and yes I tried with every HDD speed from MDMA0 to UDMA4 and several compatibility mode combo.

Pretty sure the problem is also present in MGS2/Substance, especially when you're playing anything in the area outside of the tanker (especially when you're playing one of the VR mission where you can see the timer slow down and I'm positive it shouldn't)

Only some PS3 models can be downgraded to 3.55 and that requires hardware flashing. If you really want hacks you're best off finding one that's already at 3.55 or below.

hackinformer.com/PlayStationGuide/index.html

sometimes gamedevs change their games inbetween releases. The PAL version is basically 1.1 since they added extra stuff to make up for the delayed release(some stuff that would go on to be included in substance release) Sometimes in these updates they make mistakes. Some of these mistakes were never fixed in substance or the HD version(it uses the substance build, plus it adds even more mistakes ontop of the substance mistakes)

So basically, look for copy made in 2001 if you want the full cinematic MGS2 experience. Otherwise don't be too caring and get Substance for PS2/PC. I can say that HD version is worse( I own all 3 versions of the game) because the analogue control is shit compared to PS2 version.

Maybe it's just me but a system is NEVER worth buying solely for one game, if that's what you're trying to get at.

ZoE 1 has absolutely dogshit gameplay

I have a fat PS2 with a Network Adapter which can read IDE HDD's, the shit is awesome. I've also ordered a PSX (picrelated) which, AFAIK, cannot use any HDD that doesn't have a dedicated Sony file system and requires a lot of fucking around in general.

The accurate experience of disc read errors, disc scratching and long loading times due to inevitably malfunctioning laser.
The PS2 is such a poorly made console that its kind of amazing how well it sold and surprising that the same company made the original playstation.