Why the hell every attempt to marry spectacle combat and diablo loot system ended as terrible piece of shit?

Why the hell every attempt to marry spectacle combat and diablo loot system ended as terrible piece of shit?
Is such task an impossibility?
Or there just weren't enough tries?

because

I liked KoA though.

What makes diablo good then?

I gave each of those games a lot of time to "open up" and "become good", they never did.
Each for different reasons though, so I still think that stylish action game with satisfying random loot system is possible.

Diablo is shit

cool and fun builds and maximum cheese

I honestly think that KoA is an alright game, but I do agree that they don't typically mix the two well enough to make it entirely work.

I've yet to play Darksiders 2 though.

I liked Darksiders 2. It did have flaws, like an abundance of really simple puzzles, but the combat was really fun, especially when you did find a "build" that worked into it. I loved using the trident from the DLC boss, since it built your magic bar like crazy. Even when it stopped killing things so fast, you got your skills back in seconds with it, and it made doing those hard missions early very rewarding.

Using that with necromancy skills made it one of the more fun combat necromancers that I know of. Even on higher levels, launching coffins with exploding ghouls in them always helped.

it can be done right though, or at least in a way that isnt completely terrible.
i remember there was a diablo 2 mod that greatly expanded the horadric cube among many other things and it let you reroll gear in numerous ways. sure its still gambling but youll have some form of control over it now.
even borderlands pre sequel had something along this vein that worked out pretty well in my opinion.

Have you played Transfomers Devastation user? It's got what you want, except the loot system is the worst part of it and any game that has that loot system.

Great atmosphere and solid isometric action gameplay.

Same as Nox, which is a Diablo clone with minimal loot and is just as good.

and cute villain

Darksiders 2 is not that bad tho.
I liked it

KoA is pretty fun as a Universalist, if a bit too easy, and very bland. It was supposed to be an MMO after all.

Also they won't let you fuck the elves.

Random loot sucks, period. I'd rather have hand-crafted content that's actually had thought put behind it than whatever trash RNG shits out. If you make a game and design it around specific items and abilities, you can build it to suit. If you build a game where "random loot" is a selling point, any chance at balancing goes out the fucking window and you might as well be playing a slot machine.

Action games and loot systems fucking stink together because loot systems want you to keep grinding or otherwise hope for a good drop while action games necessitate that everything you get have its own uses that aren't necessarily fulfilled even by their upgrades, ie DMC1's Sparda being the best possible claymore you can get your hands on but Alastor is still preferable for a couple situations and it won't ever fulfill the same niche as Ifrit.

Oh, also that Sparda doesn't have a devil trigger whatsoever until the final fight against Mundus while Alastor still has devil trigger access and can switch to Ifrit on-the-fly by pushing one of the analog sticks for L3/R3.

Tl;dr loot systems are heavily geared towards RNG and tabletop-oriented/themed games like Diablo or Dungeons & Dragons, so automatically they're not a great choice for heavy-action games.

Diablo 2 is proof that you're wrong.

First too are better than a lot of popular shit, and are far more enjoyable.
And about your question, Diablo loot system isn't that good to begin with.

I wouldn't really call Diablo 2 an action game from what I played of it (still need to get around and find a dummy .mpq so I can play it diskless, the disk I found is scratched that one file refuses to copy over). Isometric dungeon-crawler yes but I think of something along the lines of Devil May Cry when I think of an action game.

It is a pure action game TBH.

That's your opinion famicom

Guess I touched a nerve.

Is it possible to run Nox at 60 fps?
I googled around and all I managed it to speed it up.
You would think that framerate in isometric clickfest with 2D graphics is not important, but it fucking is.

I've played the shit out of and enjoyed, Diablo 2 and Path of Exile, when I was younger, and I've played the shit out of and enjoyed DMC3 and Bayonetta, more recently. But I really don't see the genres mixing well because they scratch entirely different itches.
The looterpg's are about the process of theorycrafting a build, and making it work. The point of the random loot isn't really to make people farm, that's more of a sad consequence, but to encourage players to optimize on the fly. That is, for me, those games are the most fun when I'm not trying to obsessively stick to a rigid plan, but go in with a general idea of what I want to do and then change it up based on what I find. Beyond that, the games are pretty casual and grindy, with a very low barrier in terms of actual skill required for execution.
With cuhrayzee games, and the like, the rewarding feeling is that of getting better as a player, not of advancing on an equipment or stats treadmill. Admittedly, you unlock weapons and skills as the game progresses in both DMC and Bayo, but I've always seen that as more of a way to facilitate learning the individual abilities over the course of the game, rather than a straightforward upgrade system. The thing about adding a significant difference in statistical ability of equipment or characters in this type of game is that it obligates the devs to make tougher content that can present a challenge to the well-equipped character, which conversely means they're creating content that is gated by stats, not skill.
I really really love Dragon's Dogma, and it doesn't have Diablo style random loot, but this last point I think is what hurts it the most. The combat system is robust and rewarding in and of itself, and yet you simply won't be able to realistically whittle down certain high-level content without the appropriate gear/stats. And furthermore, if you take your time and fiddle around and explore, the game gets too easy, taking away the sense of accomplishment.

Mount and Blade has Diablo-ish loot and spectacle-ish combat. I bet it would be easy to mod it so that it has full on Diablo loot.

Everytime I see kingdom of Amalur posted I get sad.

every time i wake up i get sad

Kingdoms of Amalur is a solid game, you whiny faggot

None of those games are terrible pieces of shit, at worst they're mediocre.

And the problem is that the diablo loot system is cancerous garbage that has made RPGs worse for years to come. Grinding is awful in any game, no exceptions. Souls games have the best loot system of any game I've played. All of the weapons and armors are equally viable (for the most part), and they're deliberately placed around the world. This means that the build variety is crazy since there isn't just a small number of "endgame items" that everyone uses, your build using the starting equipment can be just as good as someone using shit they found in some difficult secret place. The only difference is that the characters will feel different in combat and the hard to obtain stuff is generally going to be more specialized.

Offline MMO where all you do is collect bear asses is not a solid game.