VIDYA MUSIC THREAD: Tim Follins edition

FUCKING HELL MY EARS ARE IN HEAVEN

Lemme tell you about Tim Follins. Dude did a lot of work on a lotta games, as a music guy.

No background in music, but big fan of it.

If you're a fuckin' mess, then get up and dance to what you love.

Tim-fuckin'-Follins did, and listen to this shit.

This is the motherfucker who made Miyamoto disbelieve that his own hardware could do shit like this.

And it was because he listened to the theme of fuckin' Plok.

This is what he did on the SNES, which only had 8 channels for music, which he accomplished by importing real chords of guitar and such into the system, back in the day when not too much shit was available to do that…

…And this is what he made when the Genesis became available, which had slightly better sound conditions.

Dude wasn't even an autist. He just got up, did his research, played with sound and never gave up like a fuckin' bitch.

It's not about talent or fuckin' anything but persistance.

This man is one of the old-old guard, A dude who got his career started with composition on the Amiga, with no musical background.

This is not the product of talent, like every composer, this is the product of years of practice and straight hard work. Nothing but that.

No one doesn't make mistakes.

That said, music thread.

Kinda weird to have a Tim Follin thread praising his ability to work with limited software and not have this in the OP.

Tim Follins is a legend, goddamn Last Ninja 2.

I was making a comparison, you know.

You don't introduce a man with his best work. You show how he got there, baby.

Remember, you can do all of this shit with midi files, as they're basically the same shit.

What really matters is how you craft your instruments, what samples you use, how you edit it, and learning your own little way on how they work.

I also found the source of Nihilism Dude by accident just now

Here is the setup track, next post I will blow ur fucking mind.

The best one there is.

Now with previous track in mind, Skip too 17:17 on this video and watch what TAS runners do when they have to much time and skill on their hands.

You will be surprised.

I just ordered a copy of PLOK I am in for a fun and groovy time?

Oh wow, haven't heard this one yet. Sounds damn good, reminds me of the Power Rangers theme a lot.

It's okay. Some blind jumps here and there, not the most precise platformer. Worth a play I'd say.

prepare to get diddled

Seriously though, why do video games suck ass now.

Whoops, I was wrong. That one's Matt Gray

I'm looking for soundtracks with a western sort of "jam band" flair to them. The soundtrack to Spyro 1 pretty much encapsulates what I'm looking for.

Also, FM synth is my weakness. I can't get enough.

Are any of the games he worked on any good?

Ecco 3, and Plok are really the only half decent games he ever made music for outside of ports. he essentially worked for a cheap license whore studio.

He made great music come out of the ZX Spectrum

The Amiga version of this track is amazing. Also don't forget about Geoff Follin tracks also.

Here is some Geoff Follin

Turns out the game with the meme cover had some cool music too

it also had legitimately good gameplay and was one of the few SNES shooters that actually managed to have a good framerate.

It is actually sightly better than the arcade version in the gameplay department

Here's a track Naganuma made for a Super Monkey Ball game, but was instead used for Yakuza 5. It is almost entirely composed of samples.