Dragon Quest Sucks

These games suck.
What the fuck is wrong with people?
How come casuals eat the asshole of this series?
They have some charm and good music, but holy shit. Nothing changes in the entire series and the story is the same pretty much every entry.

The only ones to recommend are the Gameboy monster ones, the Snes DQ3 remake, and if you want "graphics" then play DQ8. Such a waste of my time.

Feels like summer in here.

Check my dubs.

No one cares about you weebshits.

weeb retards only play trash my man

OH DIOS MIOS

I did enjoy Dragon Quest III for the snes, and monster was fun. But how is there a whole fucking legacy based on one fucking boring ass formula.

You're right user, they should experiment like how they've done withe Final Fantasy games :^)

But FF does TRY and do something different each game. You are an idiot.

…is that image not then fanart of Kenny, Craig and Butters from Stick of Truth?

I didn't notice Stick of Truth made references to other games rather than just on the genre itself, mind you half the game for me was a static images of crying Koalas for me.

Are you a dirty foreigner OP?

It's called a product user, if people like it they'll buy it. DQ has reasonably decent games, which is why people still like it. Until it becomes Final Fagasy tier (or if localizing butchering ruins new releases) people will still buy it.

OK so either It's shitposting or retarded.
Dubs thread?

I thought they were megaman, roll and some other robot.

JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAAJAJAJA

BR?

No shit, but it really doesn't sit with me. Like, how does Japan like sitting there and basically picking up a cup, putting it down, and then picking it up again for 2 hours? Then progress in the story for what? 10 fucking minutes? then another 2 hours of the cup grind.

Real talk, I think you may just not like JRPGs? Just find something else to play and don't sweat it.

I just want to hear what people like about the games cause I have never really heard WHY people like the series. I do enjoy jrpgs though, I liked a lot of them. But plaything through this series was just not fun compared to other games.

I'm super tired with their skill point system, and think it needs to have a massive dose of complexity shoved down its throat, but beyond that I find it pretty nice.

I did find them very shallow.

Name some of them that you like, for calibration purposes. For example did you like the early (FF 5 and below) Final Fantasy games?

Nigga what. That's provably false.

The important thing to remember when concerning RPGs:
WRPGs are roleplaying games. JRPGs are rollplaying games.
This rule isn't hard and fast, but it's a very real and prevalent tendency, especially when it comes to classical examples of their genera. And Dragon Quest is a very classical JRPG.

Troll thread, but I'll bite anyway.

People like Dragon Quest because it's uncomplicated. It isn't full of retarded character designs each featuring three pounds of zippers and six belts, the story isn't pretending to be DEEP and MEANINGFUL the way Final Fantasy has for the ~20 years since 7 came out, and you don't get bogged down with stupid mechanics that don't actually add anything to the game. It's an RPG for purists and recalls a bygone age, when games were expected to be games and not anime-styled cinematic experiences where ass-backwards numbers you have to look up online to find a meaning for go up and down with no apparent rhyme or reason.

While the combat in the game never stray too far from basic turn-based combat, each game has their own unique elements(V's monster catching, VI's class system, VIII's psyche levels, etc.)

That is absolutely untrue. Granted, the story isn't a giant factor in the first few games, but every game from IV(arguably III) onwards has a unique story. The only thing they really have in common is that the protagonist is silent and for some reason you have to go around the world visiting towns and crawling through dungeons, but like 90% of RPG stories follow that formula.

It's appeal is it's simplicity. It does a few things and does them very well, as opposed to trying to over-ambitiously do everything under the sun. Also, feel the of the games and their stories struck me as unique among other video games. Most games with a medieval fantasy setting are either like modern times, just with medieval technology and magic, or portray everyone has superstitious cavemen wearing suits of armor. But Dragon Quest really succeeds as feeling like a classical fairy tale(or heroic epic depending on the game.)

Because the appeal of dragon quest is being old you moron, they invented the genre.
Saying that story is the same is wrong, the structure is similar, but that's the idea, why do you think that they don't make DQ games constantly since VII? Hell even then they weren't so constant after the 3rd one. Because they are still enjoyable games and they use an oldish way of presenting the story. so they aren't meant to be released yearly.
I would prefer that new ones had the structure of fucking DQ1 than to see them end up like final fantasy, were the only good game in a while is an MMO.

I've never played a DQ but the series looks really simple, does it have any unique mechanics to keep me going? For reference my favorite JRPGS are SMT3 and DDS1.

I was talking about FF XIV which is a good MMO, but yes, I'm still mad at DQX.
Gladly DQXI should be releasing soon, so I can forgive them when we get it.

Like other anons itt said, its strength is simplicity, that's it.
The only bad dq game is DQ8, mostly because it has the absolute worst enemy encounter rate i have ever seen in a jrpg, to a point where the game is pretty much unplayable outside of the cities, its so bad it makes dreamcast version of Skies of Arcadia look like a masterpiece compared to it.

Like I said, almost all of the games in the series has unique gameplay element, but they're nowhere near as deep anything in SMT. It's mostly just tried and true turn-based combat. It is very simple, but the combat is generally fast paced enough that it doesn't get tedious too quickly.

One thing I did notice about the games is that things like buffs/debuffs are far more useful in DQ games than they are in most of the other RPGs I've played.

I'd always heard that the encounter rate in DQ VIII was pretty good. And it didn't seem that bad from videos I've watched,

Play the 3DS version then, it has on-screen encounter and they aren't nearly as annoying as they are in DQ VII 3DS. On the world map, especially once you get the big cat I've forgotten the name of, you can pretty much avoid any encounters (except in your ship).

Define suck. I would call it average-tier. At least it has a better battle system than say… Tales Of games.

I have never seen anyone commend these games for their stories or gameplay, or even talk about what those aspects are like. Just suggesting which three of the maybe 17 installments to even condsider playing.

Reminder that Dragon Quest sucks - no matter the version - and that saying "it's a classic" doesn't mean shit. You are a shit person misleading people if you recommend this trash. I honestly think this game is poison for introducing virginal JRPG fans, cause if I wasn't a seasoned vet this whole genre would have been turned off to me.

Hi OP

Changing your id doesn't change your shit taste or awkward grasp of the English language.

it's crazy really. Imagine a small group of Japanese stubbornly defending Call of Duty.

fuck jansen

also i finally figured out who his design reminded me of

kek