The Mario & Mushroom World Projects Thread

8ch.net/v/res/9959536.html
archive.is/DkUc2

ONCE UPON A TIME, THERE WAS A BUNCH OF AUTISTIC FAGGOTS

…Who enjoyed Mario Role-Playing Games. They basked in the warm glow of the Mushroom World seen in those games, of good storytelling, cheeky humor, creative gameplay, and ample worldbuilding. Best among these diversions were the Paper Mario games. Complexity and darkness beyond the bounds of usual Plumber fare entertained the players for many sleepless moons, and characters would be remembered long after the screen shut off. It was a good time, and it filled formative years with glee.

But it was not to last, for the gamesmiths at Nintendo lost sight of what made their games great. The proud Miyamoto, creator of so much, grew confused in his age, and with the aid of equally confused creators changed Paper Mario. While Super Paper Mario held the humor, storytelling, and inventiveness of its predecessors, it also shifted drastically in mechanics. The players were not pleased. What came afterward only dismayed them further, as Paper Mario lost its charm and story. Mushroom World shrank, colors dwindled, and the once-talkative King of the Koopas was silenced. Though the legacy of storytelling continues in Mario&Luigi, it is a different beast, and treated well at the expense of Paper. Where once there were two great lines of RP games, now there is only one.

But from this woeful state of affairs, something new can be built…

Ahem

Right, that's enough prose. This thread is intended to bring Holla Forums together so that we can channel our autism into the enormous world of Mario. The material gives us much to work with, and ample room to expand on it. Plentiful characters, creatures, races, locales, and even histories are there to use. Paper Mario, SMRPG, and Mario & Luigi have seen to that, but there are also bits and pieces from the sports and party games that can help us. Extrapolation and composites are the names of the game.

Right now, there are two projects we've got started (back in the above thread):

The Mushroom World Unified Setting

and

Wario & Waluigi: Subpar Saga may be Paper

The two pieces of drawfaggotry not mine, credit the drawfag are for the latter, and he's got other pieces in the works.

FROM HERE ON, ALL DRAWFAGS, WRITEFAGS, AND ANONS ARE WELCOME

Other urls found in this thread:

mariowiki.com/Sarasaland
mariowiki.com/Mario_Land_(Super_Mario_Land_2:_6_Golden_Coins)
mariowiki.com/Yoshi's_Island_(place)
mariowiki.com/Shadow_(species)
mariowiki.com/Dry_Dry_Desert
mariowiki.com/Dry_Dry_Desert_(course)
mariowiki.com/Gusty_Gulch
mariowiki.com/Rainbow_Road_(Wii_U)
mariowiki.com/Tribe_of_Ancients
mariowiki.com/Little_Mouser
mariowiki.com/Nomadimouse
mariowiki.com/Bullet_Bill_(character)
mariowiki.com/List_of_implied_entertainment#digibutter.nerr
digibutter.nerr.biz/posts
encyclopediadramatica.se/Digibutter.nerr
youtube.com/watch?v=mxA33Jw61Kg
youtube.com/watch?v=JuPqsCdhVic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

interesting….

>video is thread theme unless someone knows the Wario soundtracks well

4debf9 reporting in.

Never got any more titty monster Wario pics but this is just as good.

I'll give this thread a bump.

I remember I made a random d10 tabletop game using Paper Mario statistics. I couldn't really get the game off of the ground because I was busy with college.

I lost the documentation but I'm sure I can recreate the core system at least.

Drawfag here.
Let the autism begin.

I'd like to contribute but since I'm busy most of the time I'm just gonna give you my full moral support

Little tidbits, theories, and insight are also welcome, if they come to mind.

Excellent. I think I'll start porting in pertinent pieces of the old thread if no else wants to.

How much do you remember?

so this is about making a videogame

So how is "The Mushroom World Unified Setting" supposed to be worked on, anyway? Try to figure out just where every single Mario game is in relation to one another? Because I think there might be some conflicting locations, like the older Mario games, Super Mario 64, and Paper Mario, and maybe Galaxy all in terms of where Peach's castle is within the Mushroom world.
Also, since the pic in the OP is including the SNES Mario Kart tracks, would this one include the ones from Mario Kart N64 and onward, or their locations at least? Some like the Defino track in Double Dash and DS are no brainers, but ones like the Mushroom City/Bridge and other urban ones could be anyone's guess as to where the hell those would be.

The fourth image making a distinction between Yoshi's Island - the first world of SMW and Yoshi's Island - the setting of SMW2 kind of bothers me. Is it reasonable to assume that SMW was taking liberties in the size and layout of Yoshi's Island? Plus Yoshi's Island seems pretty disproportionate compared to the other locales in the image anyway (not that they were going for extreme accuracy in the first place but still).

Also, it says 1985-1996, but where's Sarasaland or "Mario Land" from the Mario Land games?

Now that I thought about it, that is a bad example since you only go to Peach's Castle, nothing around it.

One thing to keep in mind: Super Mario Galaxy's version of Peach's Castle is set in pretty the same location as in Super Mario 64 with nearly the same landscape, just with Toad Town around it.

Cool thread, but first we need to talk about parallel universes.

Oh hey, what a coincidence. I just finished playing through the Thousand Year Door again, and…fuck. I wasn't ready for this today.

>Sarasaland mariowiki.com/Sarasaland
>Mario Land mariowiki.com/Mario_Land_(Super_Mario_Land_2:_6_Golden_Coins)

It seems the ninny who made the map forgot a couple places. Pic related is what someone came up with for Sarasaland blank because they proceeded onto their own faggotry for kingdom division post-game. The other is from the instruction booklet. My theory is that Mario Land is Mario's fief given to him in reward for his service to the Mushroom Kingdom. Yes, that would mean our plumber is landed gentry.

>Yoshi's Island mariowiki.com/Yoshi's_Island_(place)

They should be one and the same. Hell, that island should also be the setting for Yoshi's Story. Perhaps differences can be explained by the games' events taking place at different times and at different locations on the island. Nope, Yo'ster's is definitely a separate entity. Maybe we actually have a Yoshi Archipelago going.

Yes, their locations. Mushroom City/Toad's Turnpike is an odd one, but we might explain it… Ah.

"This course can be seen in the background of Mushroom Bridge, Wario Colosseum and Rainbow Road."

"The bridge in Mushroom Bridge and Princess Peach's Castle in Mario Circuit can be seen in the background of this course."

Mushroom City might be like the financial capital of the Mushroom Kingdom while Toad Town and the Castle are the administrative.

As for how we fit this together, best guesses and best-fits will have to do for a lot of things. A heaping helping of land stretching will be needed too, similar to how Pokemon adaptations make those tiny places seen in-game to proper-sized towns and cities.

We're clearly going to have to make our own map if we want any consistency.

Honestly, I'm wondering if the Paintings lead to distant places across the World, not just mini-dimensions. They each have their own inhabitants, after all, and contrary to what Bowser would want, not all were hostile to Mario.

Aw. Didn't Goombella have her own moment of tsundere near-confession?

…Let's get the first areas figured out before we go to Flipside, alright? The Ancients and Darks have their role to play, though.

Take your dead memes and shove them up Reddit's gaping asshole. This is the era of Forever Ever, and it lasts Forever Ever.

mariowiki.com/Shadow_(species)
So in an alternate universe, the Shadowling race is reborn through Lawful Woohoo dickings?

Yes, meaning in this game, Vivian falls in love with Waluigi and offers to be Daisy for him.

Just a reminder…
Someone updated SMB X 1.4, graphics are now png.

why don't you guys make a "Not Mario and Luigi" RPG.

It's frustrating seeing good talent on Holla Forums just wasted wallowing in misery.

Theres no reason they couldnt make it M&L
Nintendo supports fan projects as long as it doesn't directly take assets from their games

I'm bored, on a Mario tear, and want to see the start of fan-vidya/tabletop that doesn't make me cringe. 8/v/ seems like the place to make it happen.

You'll have to make up the rest of the rules as you go.

The basic rule is that you roll the di, add and subtract modifiers, and compare the results.

Originally I had both attacker and defender roll a di. If the attacker rolls higher than the defender the attacker wins and lands a hit. If the defender rolls a number higher than the attacker, the defender wins and avoids the attack.

Now if the attacker lands a hit and has more action points (AP) to combo an attack then he can roll again. The defender's roll stays the same. The combo ends if the attacker rolls lower than the defender. The attacker can manually choose to end his combo and preserve AP. Abilities can be used in combos but effectiveness varies on the context. More on abilities later.

Now if the defender rolls a number equal to the attacker's roll then the defender activates a "dice break". With a dice break the defender knocks the attacker off balance and lands a counter, which works like a normall attack where the attacker's roll becomes their defending roll and defenders roll to attack. Some abilities can be activated depending on the context.

A defender can add or subtract the range to a dice break with his Critical stat. An attacker can also use their critical stat to null a defender's dice break range.

If Defender has 1 CRIT, Attacker has 0 CRIT, and Defender rolls a 5 then the Defender will dice break at +/- 1. So Attacker will break dice rolling 3-6.

If Defender has CRIT of 1, Attacker has CRIT of 1, then the Defender's dice break shrinks back to 0.

If Attacker has a CRIT of 2 then the Defender will have negative CRIT and cannot dice break.

But there's the still burning question.
Will half an A press be a half?

Attack Power is the base damage a character lands per hit. ATP of 2 means every hit landed deals. Defense Power reduces Attack Power down to 0. Some abilities will bypass DEF completely.

I use AP because in DnD each round is 6 seconds. So naturally average characters have 6 AP with a basic attack costs 2 AP. Item use is restricted to once per turn. Some characters have more AP, some have less.

If you have remaining AP when your turn ends. Let's say for example you defend instead of attack. Your AP will be used to "guard" which increases DEF by 1 point (or more depending on abilities) reducing damage you take by 1 per hit at the cost of 2 AP (a normal attack). Even without AP you still roll a defense roll. And counter attacks after the first dice break do consume AP.

The rest is context of abilities, attacks, and environments really.

Keep in mind these are for tabletop games with actual dice rolling. For a Mario RPG video game the less RNG for landing attacks the better. Games have always been about timed hits.

I guess the best way to start would be figuring out where each region/continent is then. Isla Delfino, for example, strikes me as the same distance away from the Mushroom Kingdom as Hawaii is to the United States, being a prime tropical vacation spot. Pic related suggests it, among a bunch of other islands, are west of the Mushroom Kingdom, but how far west is anyone's interpretation. They used a jet aircraft to land on the airstrip, so that might be a factor as to how far they would need to travel to get to it.
As for the paintings in 64, I think it would be a bit of both. Some are actual locations you get transported to, like Bob-Omb Battlefield, and others are their own little area like Tiny-Huge Island. What has me wondering is, what about the paintings that lead to locations that are practically floating islands, like Whomp's Fortress? Would those be solely pocket dimensional areas created by Bowser boswering about when he got to the castle? Floating landmasses might not be too far fetched for Mario games, sure, but I don't know where those places would be on the grand scale of things. Unless we just assume they float due to N64 limitations or level design choices I guess.

I should stop realizing shit after posting, but looking at it now, the thick red line might imply it's directly on the equator.

I wanna know more about that crab island.

what would be a good setting for wario bros? heres one idea ive had floating around.
1930s mobster city where the virtuous but understaffed and underpowered police force work tirelessly to thwart the machinations of the main villain, hiring wario and waluigi as mercenaries who they hope will not cause too much trouble, promising to let them, keep what riches the mob has stolen

or should they not be anti heroes but outright kikeass villains gaining more and more enemies as they exploit a naive kingdom, inadvertently awakening some ancient evil when they steal the wrong treasure?

oh, and the name of the mobster city could be the rotten apple. referencing the big apple, a nickname for new york

Timed hits, action commands… I don't get to play tabletop games much despite being a fa/tg/uy, but it was easy to process those by thinking of Paper Mario combat.

…Do you have some exotic but functional mechanic in mind for paper environment puzzles?

How about New Borked?

Well, there is this line.

Nice dubs, by the way.

Were Vivian's lines altered from the Nip version, like
gender was? I wonder if Vivian was originally hinted at having a crush on Mario like we see here. Because if so, that's pretty fucking homo and cute

I don't think the idea was viv was a dude in drag, I think the quips at viv being a man is a way to make viv look less feminine

I wouldn't think the Kingdom would be south of the equator, unless it's closer to the southern pole, thus explaining why it has those chilly mountainous regions to the north/south while having mild and dry climes elsewhere nearbyish. I'll interpret Dry Dry Desert ( mariowiki.com/Dry_Dry_Desert , mariowiki.com/Dry_Dry_Desert_(course) ) as being quite some distance away from the main Kingdom (and closer to the equator) , not so much with Gusty Gulch ( mariowiki.com/Gusty_Gulch ), which just takes a longish forest trek to reach.

Honestly, I think Whomp's Fortress would have a deeper interior if it were in a Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi game. Let's remember that through the power of magic, ancient or otherwise, we have miles and miles of otherwise floating cloud and land we can walk on with no trouble (and that's not even getting into the Star/Rainbow Road and Star Haven). A giant free-floating stone fortress is downright easy to work with. As for location… Looking at it, I'm tempted to say off the coast somewhere. Which means that if the lift was turned off, it would crash and sink into the sea.

If it floats unnaturally, just assume magic or (more rarely) tech. Pic related.

I wanna know what's up with that Turtle's "shadow," especially that far-disconnected "head." All kinds of things could be underwater there. Looking at the map, I'm also seeing volcanic activity on the mola mola island on the top left. Yay for unexplored expanses on maps!

That seems cuter and yet scarier than I would've thought. Maybe she'll become a more benevolent Shadow Queen from his power.

She was sweet on Mario since Twilight Town, as far as I know.

Well for what it's worth, the curve of the jet's travel might point it originating from north of the equator since it has a slight U bend to it, so the Mushroom Kingdom could be in the northern hemisphere. As for why the weird ass trajectory, maybe they stopped on turtle island for fuel/rest I guess.

>That would explain why Bowser has such an easy time invading, and why the Mushroom Kingdom has so little warning of his approach. Mind you, it could also be that the Mushroom and Koopa Kingdoms enjoyed a more peaceful state of affairs before the present. Given how many koopas and other assorted minion races live around the Mushroom Kingdom, it would be easy to surmise that there's some old overlap to be had.
>I also would wager that Bowser or some nutjob sorcerer/thing caused The Volcano to become active. Magic can be very powerful in Mushroom World, as seen with all the Star shenanigans (especially the Star Rod). Perhaps it was once a peaceful mountain, and just a place for mining.

> mariowiki.com/Rainbow_Road_(Wii_U)

Say what you want about places like Hawaii; at least there the lava tends to flow continuously at whatever island's closest to the hotspot, so people never forget they're living on something active geologically. Bigger issue (beyond lava flows encroaching on villages) are the islands just falling apart, since it's pretty much rock that's sitting on sand instead of anything solid. I think I remember seeing some science show that mentioned that really skinny island, Molokai or whatever it is, used to be about 2-3 times the size it is now until a huge chunk of it just slid into the ocean (they've found debris strewn across the ocean bottom).

>But then… Humans are the most successful of the Mushroom World races, aren't they? Not just Mario, Wario, Luigi, and Waluigi (though he's debatably human), but the Princesses. Especially Princess Rosalina, whose power and influence makes her something like a stellar god-empress. Sarassaland and the Mushroom Kingdom are both ruled by all-human royalties, so it would seem. …It's very possible that they're both parts of a wider empire, seeing as Princesses are the most visible ruling figures.

Well, if you take Super mario Galaxy 2 for an example, there's Throwback Galaxy, an exact replica of Whomp's Fortress (or even the ACTUAL Whomp's Fortress), so there's a good chance all of those floating masses in Mario 64 and on are actually galaxies that Mario could travel to from his home. They might need to be on their own seperate map.

blame the Holla Forumsack for this coming up so early

> mariowiki.com/Tribe_of_Ancients
>But let's not forget the actual Tribe what works and changes things behind the walls of reality.

>mariowiki.com/Little_Mouser
>"Squeek" seems to be the common term, though they seem to be more Bedouin or Arab going by Dry Dry Outpost. mariowiki.com/Nomadimouse Or at least this batch is.

Small note on that, apparently one of their ancient kings was responsible for building Dry Dry Palace (now Dry Dry Ruins). Looks like we might have a case of competing civilizations… or one was older than the other.

If there's multiple human princesses, surely there must be a Wapeach and Wadaisy somewhere then.

Getting some ideas.

>mariowiki.com/Bullet_Bill_(character)

And that's what we've got on that front.

Keep the autism coming user, this is good stuff.

1d4chan already has some /tg/ Mario stuff from a few years ago, it might be worth checking out.

Could you please summarize your autistic idea pitch it seems very interesting but I don't think anyone's gonna really read all of that.

that works for me, although it does sound a little memeish if that makes any sort of sense. im sure there are other cities/eras that went through some highly characterized crime waves. but this one may be easier to work with in a cartoony setting

warp pipes tend to make geography not that big of a deal, and the airship armada seems to be making a comeback. those things are fucking fast sometimes and in the mario 3 cartoon intro one even seems to warp in in a puff of smoke. although it may have come through that pipe given the sound. but also consider that magic is very much a part of the mario universe and the koopa klan has plenty of it. we all know what kind of headaches those teleporting magikoopas can cause.
back on geography though and again going by mario 3, mario crosses through many different kingdoms on the way to dark land. though he could be taking detours to dethrone the koopalings i would assume he would prioritize rescuing the princess. but for all we know its a pretty far away place. then again you do start in grass land which itself may be very far from the mushroom kingdom.

again referencing the cartoons the only time we ever see anyone travel to and from bowsers domain is through warp pipes, its even possible that its some kind of netherworld given the seemingly demonic nature of bowser.

then again in just about every mario rpg bowser lives "right over there"

that is just so evil and silly i love it

…Hoo boy. Lemme see if I can boil it down to a paragraph so I don't lose track of it either.

Also, fuck, I must be on a roll: someone politely asked me for the short version on a Chan board.

Actually, lemme boil it down to a phrase first:

The current state of affairs and the past are different puzzles.

Now, we need to figure out the modern state of affairs in Mushroom World, which requires examining "present" stuff and implications (such as two Kingdoms apparently ruled by human princesses surrounded by different races, as an example). We also need to puzzle out Mushroom World's past, which requires examination of lore (mostly provided by the PM and M&L games), the different structures around the World, the many implications, and the current state of affairs. Perhaps paradoxically, we might need to examine the past to understand the present (in order to understand the past, or is it vice versa?). Either way, we're piecing together a world that makes at least a little sense (as batshit insane as that sense may be), and while complicated, we have the tools to do it.

How about that?

Do those squishy fucks even have bones?

that might be the bone condition. he should have a very handsome masculine chin

How about Hobroken?

It seems much of Bowser's military might lies in pure magic with a speartip of magitech. Being raised by a wizard really does help.

Koopa Kingdom's terrain certainly differs from Mushroom's enough that some good distance lies between them… Maybe a few hundred miles or so?

Seems like the Mario Bros laid a secret pipe for easy access. They'd certainly need it enough.

Ya'll are having way too much fun with this.

mariowiki.com/List_of_implied_entertainment#digibutter.nerr Gentlemen, the usenet forum to Mu(shroom)chan's image board. Also, hurr nerr.

digibutter.nerr.biz/posts
encyclopediadramatica.se/Digibutter.nerr

That's pretty good thanks for doing the summary.
Also I couldn't find my "you expect me to read all that shit nigga" pic

i did bitch now what???????

It'd be MushroomChan for Cuckchan, FlowerChan for Holla Forums, and StarChan for I don't know help.

So for flowerchan, it would be a crippled Crazee Dayzee instead of a Goomba?

I was going by Mario Kart cups but sure.

Starchan for Fahr Outpost and Rogueland. Run by a thick-accented and rare armed nerr Bob-omb hacker. Is often drunk on Tonic.

You seem to be mistaken I was talking about c18138's extremely long posts about some sorta continuity puzzle amongst all the Mario games, and also where exactly is this summary of c18138's series of post that you supposedly made before he did, user?

Nigga it's bantz

Oh my bad I thought you were serious. :^)

It's fine, have a good night you total gay :^)

Well yea of course I'm happy to know we've settle our difference. Good night to you user.

And now I'm reminded of the Mer- clan's predilection for long-winded storytelling. Dammit.

Now kiss, you fucking knuckleheads.

faggots

Let me guess to late for the "I was only pretending card" then, but anyway back on topic of the long post user's work. So did you take into account about that whole universe rest shenanigans from the end of SMG 1?

Krautchan Lightningchan, run by a sedate Boo with an InterNed connection so bad, many think he lives the racial dream innawoodsinnamansion. He doesn't, he's just saddled with a cutthroat service and unchecked Amps. Has a community full of history buffs, antiquarians, nationalists, and niche porn watchers.

Hispachan Shinechan, run by an excitable Noki who may or may not be monitored by the Delfino and Tartaruga governments for his community's activities. Well-known for political activism and folk-tossing sports enthusiasm, as well as lively banter.

Reset… I don't even know what that did, what it means. Unless you're suggesting some kind of Stone Ocean/Steel Ball Run alternate timeline fuckery.

Dammit.

Sure, make the half A press from SM64 cause a QPU where this happens.

…Wut?

Made In Heaven's universe reset was actually just Pucci speeding up so every second was 12 hours, and he generated like a billion parallel universes

Let's talk about parallel universes, user

Hokay, I see. Never ever heard of this before, I'm afraid.
So not what happened in SMG.

You can do that with the rest of the anons in here, I need to sleep.

Nah, I just thought of it when you mentioned Made In Heaven.

>labeling your filename instead of putting them in appropriate folders

RIP original topic

The game world is clearly not meant for Wario and Waluigi, or at least for the way they choose to act. Clear game design instruction being flat-out ignored and contradicted by hamfisted techniques and clever shenanigans. Need to slide underneath? Break through. Solve a puzzle? Shatter it and create a path from the rubble. Stealth segment? Intentionally blow it and kite the comically-overstaffed security team mob into doing what you want.

Unintentionally save the town, and rumor spreads of two suspendered heroes. The next town has full confidence in you while you swindle them, accidentally accomplishing their goals (to your surprise) and building a legend. Mario and Luigi see through your thin facade and intervene, only to be ousted and treated as ne'er-do-wells by those you've saved. Theme of the game becomes Jerks for Justice and Heroes for Harm. Mario and Luigi reluctantly team up by the end, realizing you were somehow in the right all along.

Puzzles will have to be where the role-playing comes in. There really isn't much we can do with the RPG elements on pen and paper in terms of dice rolling without resulting towards a skill system of some kind. Having to rely on RNG to complete a task is something no one likes to do.

Wario uses his arms, Waluigi more his legs?

Stopped reading there.

Holla Forums isn't going to try and make another game, right?
If you end up doing it, there's some devfag in the /agdg/ threads who's been working on a game engine. He's been making some platforming game with it.

You want to make that? Well then, go ahead.
Nothing precludes it. But before that… ZA WORLDO.

To be honest I never quite learned to use folders (yes, I know that's a bad thing). So I substituted them with tags and autism.

We're proud to present on the board that's called Holla Forums,
Another idea that will never beeeeeeee

Not with that attitude, it won't. Come on.

I would love to play the game where mario ends up in the mushroom kingdom

Donkey Kong (1994) on Game Boy did the "Mario's origin story" thing already.
It starts with a remake of the original arcade levels, then becomes a 100-level chase across an overworld map, with different Worlds that take characters and game elements from Mario's early years and fold them neatly into the 'canon' (eg. DK Junior is a recurring enemy / boss).
The final boss (and the last two Worlds) take place in (or near) the Mushroom Kingdom, with Poison and Super mushrooms featuring prominently.
During the credits, Mario and Pauline are next to a warp pipe and three ? blocks; Pauline finds a mushroom offscreen, throws it to Mario, and he's shown becoming 'Super' for the first time.
There's even a joke where (a de-powered) DK is 'caught' by Super Mario, so DK cries out for help and Junior 'heroically' leaps onscreen as if to save him.

hmm, I'd rather go ahead an explore other things, real locations then floating things in space hidden in paintings. Like, isle delfino, or macro zone from SML2, the beanbean kindgdom again. You can work things out, and reduce certain elements to make certain islands fit certain zones (to bring down the scope a fuckton) So Yoshi's island could function as a jungle area, the Barrel Flame Mountain (forgot what it's called) from Super Mario RPG forming the lava area, while Delfino would be the beach level. Condensing down these island into certain settings allows you to have the feeling of further exploring the areas, without fucking up the scope beyond belief. If anything, the scope is crucial. Go to big, and everything is fucked in the ass.

The fact that Delifno island appears to be on the equator could make it so that the islands are following the internal logic set by our own atmosphere. So the hottest regions (exception lava mountains) would be in the middle while the colder ones would be in the north and south.

tldr: make sure scope is kept limited, and have fun further exploring areas from previous games

The Wario bro's must meet them, it would be fucking hilarious.

So basically the game is mocking and loving the mario RPG's? Wario and waluigi messing up everything that's perfectly placed for Luigi and Mario to finish

Bumping so everyone can see the autism.

Regarding timed hits and their relation to tabletop gaming. Since you can't really time anything with dice, why not make an optional roll after hitting? Make it and you do 50% more damage, fail and you do 50% less.

Actually nintendo was going to do exactly that, but decided it would be too many doubles of characters

I could see Wario in general being the successor to Bowser's punches while Waluigi picks up the AoE/all-enemy attacks through items or slapstick weaponry, give 'em a parallel where Wario and Waluigi are caught with their pants down if Wario has to take on swarms or Waluigi takes on single powerful enemies but they complement eachother and cover eachothers' bases while Mario and Luigi are roughly as useful as eachother in any given circumstance.

I like Waluigi being a kicker quite a lot though.

allright, let's gather all our energy and make paper mario great again.

Look at Legend of Galactic Heroes

ok.

now rip it off and make it into the Mushroom Kingdom, [OTHER ORIGINAL] kingdom, and the jew evil plotting things from behind

there's your premise.

political backstabbing, plotting, scheming, swindling, all with comedy and a light mood of course. All partners with their own internal conflicts and stories. All stories weaving into one.

>the kids that they try to scam him into paying alimony for are named Warry, Worton Jr., Wiggy, Woy, Wemmy, Wudwig and Mendy

I played through that entire game and never realized that.

Off topic, but I want to share my retarded theory about Dio's Stand, which has probably already been discussed to death by fans. (Also, a Mario game in the style of JJBA would be pretty cool)

>The World is shown directly countering Hermit Purple's scrying, and it can stop time

Of course, the end of SBR seems to contradict this, and probably Over Heaven as well, so whatever.

Also, there are at least three Joestars still alive after Made in Heaven, so Pucci really is a complete fucking failure.
What happened to the alien creatures spawning out of people's bodies in Vento Aureo? There were bound to be some that made it all the way out before Requiem stopped.

Well if you recall in SMG 1 in the final fight with Bowser he causes a giant black hole to emerge thus causing the lumas to sacrifice themselves to stop which leads into a cut scene of Rosalina making a new universe and putting everyone on Mario's home world. So when you think about it could be a different mushroom kingdom but with slightly different changes.

That's pretty much what happened, including the Brooklyn. -dammit, ninja'd.

Humans are a minority in this World, but the Wario Ware games show enough of them to prove that they aren't just a handful of rulers and plumbers.

Araki breaks his rules all the time. It's one of the reasons why no one takes the "rules" seriously.

Don't forget to avoid fire/ice/jungle worlds/areas.
Thousand Year Door was beloved for doing new stuff.
Even Super Paper Mario had unique locals.

And did anyone save the art of Peter Piper (started as a "make mario partner" thread, with a pipe with feet badly photoshopped together, but it worked)

Can we have a shy-guy partner?

Maybe it's attacks involve mechanical or "sub-con" stuff. (Throw a turnip, call upon a horde of ShyGuys to mob and steal from all enemies, and using weird sub-con/removing face powers to send everyone asleep or give them fear.)

More WA for ya.

First Step First after getting a working proof of concept showing we can re-make Paper Mario mechanics What is the maguffin(s) and what does it do?

Power-source? Wish granting? Create/Prevent an evil thing? Create/Prevent a good thing?

Still more WA

define "in the style of JJBA"

in the story-telling style? villains? gameplay? (some ghost tags along mario and now he has a stand). Elaborate, user.

Dont you all forget this game right here

Big honkin' gemstones that can make whoever has them incredibly powerful by bringing out their inner evil. Wario wants 'em 'cuz they're worth a fortune, and they don't affect him 'cuz his inner evil is ALREADY out.

He was just talking about Jojo. Offtopic.
Maybe for a boss. Otherwise, stick to what made the games good IMO.

agreed.

Wait- for the Wario Bros RPG or for the Paper Mario game?
Would Wario be in the Paper Mario Game?

Trying to think of stuff that doesn't make it a Chaos Emerald knock off.

Power Gems? Zinn Stones? each one focusing on a deadly sin. Lust changed to another word for just wanting to want stuff. Avarice? Greed being the biggest/final one Crystal Stars was Thousand Year Door or Super Paper Mario- right?

>Wario and Waluigi are "too pure" IE:Already wicked to be affected

How about Wario and Waluigi get Mario and Luigi involved in some sort of crime, even though mario and luigi dindu nuffin.

Then Mario and Luigi are forced to co-operate with Wario and Waluigi in order to be pardoned.

funnily enough wario's silly schemes foiled the plans of the villain, and now the villain needs to be direct in his approach to get the jewel to control shit.

Mario, luigi and their partners in crime now need to prove their innocence by taggling along the heroes ( Toad cops, whatever race of "the heroes" comic relief). the warios run away at every chance they get and mario and luigi have to acompany them to make sure they dont fuck up, the W's act like scooby and shaggy finding clues in their silly schemes while mario and Luigi try to make sure they behave. Moreover Wario and Waluigi also blackmail the bros if they don't do what they want they will show something to the cops so they could be in big trouble, so they have to do or go where they go.

I think the Mario & luigi game should have the four party members a la partners in time, with X and Y being Wario and Waluigi.

unless we're going for only 2 party members then yes Mario and Luigi can be rivals.

Wario World the RPG? With the black gem being "not the only one" and more surreal monsters (some downright creepy)?

I can totally dig it.
> Wario Bros: All for Wahn

Oh shit okay

Take my three-inch nightcrawler, babe. Lecture me about the benefits of communism. Berate me on not letting my wife be sexually liberated.
JUST

God damn I was trying to think of a good phrase + greed or money pun.

Nice one.

The Wario game definitely fits M&L rather than PM's style.

I've had ideas for a platformer RPG of my own idea-guy-ing, but aside from a few weird things like knowing all about the Mario Paint canon, I don't know much about Mario lore. Now if it were Kirby lore…

Also, for a Paper Mario game, I thought a decent gimmick would be using powerups as a sort of job system could be interesting. Even if there would be a lot of overlap between, for example, flying powerups you could have some interesting things, at least if a lot of them were optional.

Are you a grill?

I bet you think Samus is trans just because some game journos told you, too. Vivan's huge bitch sister just called at her like she was a man as an insult because she's a huge bitch.

Screw it, I'll take a stab at lore:

No bully.

I think it makes sense in that the three sisters are all supposed to be imperfect women. Beldam is an aged bitch and Miriam is fat and retarded. What's left to make Vivian not an ideal girl? Being a dude. -and then there's the ultimate Shadow Queen who isn't any of those qualities but is evil.

-but I do concede that it's just head canon to me until some representative of the series outright states it and it's not as if I know how the other versions translate exactly and am going by faith here. Yeah what you say fits too but it's still questionable.

Nice
Captain Syrup. I'd exclude her because her entire schtick is being there after wario has done all the hard work, finally got his gold, then she swindles it from him.

We want wario and waluigi to (mostly) be winners by the end of the game.

The way I see it, Wario is the hammer while Waluigi is the jump.

Her shctick is ATTEMPTING that, user. They can be winners by the end even if she's around.

I can dig that.

So, once someone makes a working M & L RPG style proof of concept to prove we can make it.- should this have any unique money based concepts?

I don't like buying special moves to use, or money acting as Bro Points, I do like the idea that you can power up the moves by spending money. (like how you could turn off the button prompts and slomo in Superstar sage to power up the moves).
Level 1 : No extra. (default)
Level 2: 5000 Coins
Level 3: 10000 Coins (and has an alternate combo that does more damage- the Advanced version like Superstar Saga).

Give player lots of money from beating enemies- use said money. Maybe not for Moneybags-esque guardians. Since money can be used for other things, saying "fuck you- pay me to progress" isn't fun.

She could just be a recurring shop.
She wants to profit off what you've found, so she sells you more gear- so you find tougher enemies, and have to buy better gear from her.

General spinelessness?

I actually had a bit of an idea about this, but it goes into Paper territory a bit. Basically, there are partners like in the Paper games, but they don't join you on a permanent basis, rather they're hired temporary-like. You pay X coins to have said enemy join you for a certain number of battles, getting them to use their special attacks costs coins, if they get KO'd they charge extra for the next time you bring 'em along, etc.

So like bodyguards in Tingle's Rupeeland? Only with monsters from battle? That could be a fun thing.

Sort of a cross between those and the regular Paper Mario partners, in that they become plot-relevant at points in the game and are freely usable afterwards(free as in freedom, not free as in beer). And of course there are hidden ones that need some special sidequests done to unlock.

Sounds like Kirby Superstar or Shin Megami Tenshi too. Buying off an enemy from most random encounters sounds like a good game mechanic for a Mario-styled RPG. Would Wario really put aside his pettiness even if he was promised bigger gains though? I guess the same could be asked in Tingles Jew-y Rupeeland but I hated that game too much to play past the second boss, even with cheats.

Had to leave for a while.

I meant a game with the general attitude of Stardust Crusaders or Diamond is Unbreakable. Everyone acts serious, but wacky shit still happens, and a lot of single powerful enemies that take a while to beat because it's more than just a fight.

Not that musclebound, the whole alimony thing is scary enough.

Love it. The whole "Getting to be labelled heroes accidentally while trying to steal and get money" fits so well and could make a very interesting story.

Not too shabby, man. Kinda cute for a WAH version of Peach. I'd hit it.
I'll likely blow my brains out from self-pity and depression when she inevitably screws me over after, but I would hit it.

Why not another kind of fruit and flower?

Princess Raisin and Princess Bramble.

Weach sounds like a pun on Witch, which would work pretty well for her.

YES PERFECT

Lychee is also a fruit.
Princess Lyche and Princess Laisy/Laize

Perfect

Drawfag here, would like to help out if there's still things that still need to be drawn.

Shoot some ideas you that guys come up with to this post and when I get home later today I'll draw them.

Kinda thinking we need to get something coded rather than it being an idea/concept.

Maybe something from here:

So, ya'll decided on that?

I happen to know a little GameMaker too, I've been trying to make a game of my own besides this.

I kind of preferred the Witch pun of Weach, but I guess Leach and Laisy is good too.

Sweet.
We need to either re-create the mechanics of Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi RPG.

Thanks. I though about going for the cartoony fat and muscly, but the main Mario girls are usually cute, even if they're not your typical humanoid female. The design can be changed, though.

I went for Weach because it sounds like "witch", but I wasn't sure about the WAH-Daisy.

I like it, both of their names start with L and are nice puns.

>Drawfag
>Bears
I think I know you, user.

Leach and Laisy has it. Perfectly suitable puns!

we'll look, we started to set out making Paper Mario, but all the wario and waluigi aspects we're working on basically knocks us straight into the mario and luigi camp

thus, I'm assuming we're making Mario and Luigi style

brilliant shit, mate, keep it up.

you do good work, mate

Could you do a wario-style toad, like you did that wario-style peach. I'm thinking the Washroom kingdom should definitely be included, since the idea seems extremely fun

I'm learning more towards PM-type mechanics, but that's a decision that everyone needs to make.

Like I said though, I know a little GM. I can definitely help out with the code, but I can't do it all on my own.

Aye, user. I'm surprised you recognized me based solely on that. How do you do?

Did you mean to quote the other drawfag?
That sounds a little close to Wash room, don't you think? Or is the plan to have it themed around bathrooms?

WhyNotBoth.PNG
Not that one team should work on both at once, but I mean keep developing both. Paper Mario might take off once we get more ideas down for that.
Plus, two "rival" teams to spur each other on might aid development.

Don't forget it's themed off Wario World (going from older posts). Surreal monsters, ruins, and artifacts.

Probably want a new land, with a pun on money/gold/greed/ruins.

Sheckland too on the nose?

I think going for something like a romhack would be more doable. We have the anons to make the story/dialoge and we are two drawfags that can help with graphics.
If we do a game from scratch, it will take a long time to get done and people will lose interest, making it an user effort will get a lot of neat ideas in the things that are more quick to do like story and dialogue instead of arguing too much about mechanics. Once there's something done, maybe we can do a bigger thing.

I've seen a couple of bear drawings from you, so it was a given. Doing fine, I usually lurk threads if there's not a drawthread, so here I am

Here's the question though. How big is one of these "teams" in your head?

Romhacks might go weird. Depends how much can be changed. If we can pull it down to just the "engine" and have original sprites, maps, and animations, sure.

However, a new game engine means more people can download it, as oppose to just those with ROMs.

But, a few Youtube vids and "Holla Forums makes a better game than Nintendo" will spread.

In theory:
Main coder, and second coder.
2 or 3 sprites + maps
2 or 3 artists for concept art.
1 story + dialogue writer.
1 music writer.
1 project lead to make sure everyone does their damn job- but lead cannot be an attention whore.

I like that Wario is a distorted version of Mario and he is evil and greedy so enemies and everything that is against him should be more treatening than the enemies of Mario.
I would like something that captures the essence of this commercial.
The good people in Wario world should be highly cute (Moe) to have a high contrast between the good and the bad.

It might work if we don't make it too clear that it originated from sheckles. But even then, we should stray from filling this innocent Nintendo game with memes and Holla Forums-tier references.

Bosses in Wario World were creepy at times. Thats the same vibe a Wario Bros game should have IMO.

There's always this feel of un-ease and unhingedness with the bosses. Like a big-band on a tilt-a-whirl.

You could also use the Wario Land/World theme in place of the Mario theme IMO.
youtube.com/watch?v=mxA33Jw61Kg
youtube.com/watch?v=JuPqsCdhVic

Musicfag here, while I am rather swamped with 2 projects and enough real-life shit to make a man want to fellate a cannon, I want to try helping out if I can since this idea is too good to abandon.

Fair enough, as long as there's interest and we can make it through it.

The more people contributing the merrier. Do you use FL or another DAW?

I use Linux Multimedia Studios and a bunch of free Soundfonts and VSTs from the Internet. Apparently you could do some neat things without spending a cent or by pirating software.

I feel like I could theoretically be this, but I'm not sure I'd be any good at it. I wouldn't attention whore, and I could do a decent job at tard wrangling, but I'm not sure I could motivate people to put in the effort if there's no deadline and no reason to put in the effort aside from autism. Plus the lack of any coders before we even start is always a disaster waiting to happen.

When is Color Splash coming out anyway? If there's any deadline for anything, I'd say it should be do as much as possible to make something presentable before/by then, as long as it's not August or something.

IIRC there's no release date yet.

Ah, LMMS, it does the job and with good VST's you can get some great quality stuff. Kudos.

The initial release date of Color Splash seems to be in October 7.

Nice trips.

Anyway, I doubt we'll have something substantial by that point. At the most, we might have a bare-bones prototype and a lot of neat concept art.

I'd be willing to learn whatever engine we end up making this in and codefag if this ends up actually going somewhere.

pleb choice would be rpg-maker I guess.

From what little I know, GameMaker isn't that complex. It would be a good fit for the type of game we're making here, I think.

By the way, I'm the bear drawfag user. Sorry about the IP change

btw, what kind of Art style would even be viable?
Spriting might be something even the not so gifted anons could chime in, while papermarioesque Art would be work to be loaded upon the few skilled ones here.

ok, I had some thinking about a possible washroom (bathroom/ room with cleaning machines) kingdom

here's some ideas

Drying Drunes

that's just some, i also added something I think Wario and Waluigi would do

FORGOT TO EMBED; RELEVANT STUFF AT 10;45

This right here worries me. Because if, somehow, this little project for a fangame gains traction and gets a following outside of here, you can bet that Nintendo will throw C&Ds in every direction if they notice like they usually do. But then again, that shitty Paper Mario HD retexture thing is still kicking

The art style will likely depend on whether it's going to be based off of the M&L games, or PM games. Or possibly both. Although PM art could probably be done in any free vectoring program with paths and shit. Sprites would be a lot more time consuming to make, on the other hand.

There's the anti-princesses, the treasure monsters, and the archeology society.

Why not turn it into a Rat-Race scenario where everyone is screwing over everyone else to get the treasure.
Archeology people can be main antagonists aside from the monsters, Leach and Laizy could just be bosses of an area/level.

If it's a fan game that doesn't use repurposed assets, it turns out fine. Look at Mother 4.

I like some of the ideas like Drying Dunes and Detergent Mountain, but the allusions to 9/11 are too on the nose. We should try to not refrence many events/people from real life, it doesn't fit with the tone of the previous M&L games.

I like this, but I also think that we may be trying to cram too much into this. Suggesting we do Paper Mario-style chapter divides, with each chapter having the Wa-bros facing off against a different group that's after the relevant gemstone, with an NPC or two in the main hub that you can talk to to get little sidestories about clashes between the other groups, with the last chapter possibly being a massive clusterfuck of everyone going for the big payoff at the same time and turning into an end-of-game boss rush.

i was more bullshitting to make puns then anything else. But i definitely take your point, it should be loose and wierd.

I've been thinking about bouncy sponges, washing lines to balance on/ bounce on, detergent mix as a hazard. There should also be some huge piping zone because how else will all the water stuff work. Some sort of theme park around waterslides could be worked in there too. I'm suprised by how much ideas i could come up with with the fucking theme of a washing room

How about a Bill Blaster on sturdy tank treads? Put a grinning skull on the side, and have a pair of gleaming eyes inside the dark barrel.

Hey, I've got an idea.
You know how Superstar Saga confirmed the Mushroom Kingdom royalty was really fucking bad with money to the point where mushroom kingdom coins were worth jack shit compared to beanbean coins? Whatever you name your anti-peach should be good with money despite her greed.

I agree with that.

Add in that she makes a goodly portion of that off of the Mushroom Kingdom's own economic ineptitude and that'd be even better.

I can get behind that.
Keeps the "treasure monsters" as the main antagonist, with area based-bosses/factions coming into it later.

So based on what we have so far…

Maybe the Sorcerer screwed his spell up, and turned himself into an immortal but weak creature. Said creature is the Stuffwell/Starlow to Wario & Waluigi- saying he wants to gather the maguffins to help the bros get rich and spite the Sorcerer (who he actually is)

Sounds good to me.

So what would Princess Lychee look like, anyway? It seems to me that her outfit would be covered in spikes.

Well, Wario and Waluigi are comical exaggerations of Mario and Luigi.
Not sure how Yellow opposes/is related to Red- and purple to green.

Other than the muscle Weach from earlier, I wonder if Lyche/Leach looks like a bombshell past her prime (since actually making her attractive doesn't work since they're vile counterparts to the princesses). And since Daisy is shown as a bit of a tom-boy, why not make Laisy a borderline bull-dyke? (Short haircut, butch, hyper aggressive).

Leach could be in red- since that's the color of the lyche (if it's spelt as Lyche) otherwise- anything TBH.

I dunno, I imagine Lazee being a lot less energetic than that.

Give her that "aging, trashy woman in a bar, smoking and drinking alone" look. I couldn't find an actual example of what I mean, but basically this with her hair done up and way too much makeup, wearing a cocktail dress.

Lazy tom boy?
That could work.

I like this… Make her look like she's had way too many plastic surgeries… and she wants the gem so she can buy enough youth-restorative stuff to keep her looking young for centuries… or use its power to attain some sort of eternal youth.

It's not quesionable. It was the nip version of making fun of a sports team by calling them ladies, except reversed. Everyone took it literally and head canoned the rest.

Bumping to keep it alive.

Have some Wario related things.

Here, I worked out a little bit what the Washroom Kingdom could look like, going with the theme.

I included all sorts of things related to washing and cleaning and shit. Any good?

Yes, I know I can't draw for shit. How's the ideas?

This autism is some great shit, still reading through. I want in if we're making a gaym.

bump

Covetousness.

friendly note to leak/release the game's source code when Ninty shits out its eventual DMCA

possible fix, i don't fucking remember the correct term right now

Nintendo needs to license shit, not take them down.

DMCAs aren't even legally binding. Remember that information clearly. In fact, put it in every OP for this from now on to make sure we all get the memo.

Actually, I think DMCA's are legally binding, usually. C&D's are "stop or we're going to make you waste your time and money defending yourself in court", which kills projects because they think it's serious. On the other hand, Mato of the Mother 3 fan translation said someone claiming to be some translator from Nintendo (possibly Bill Trinnen, I forget) emailed him the day before they were dropping the patch telling him to stop and Mato just ignored it. In the end, that's only slightly less official than C&D's.

Let me put it this way, I think most C&D's are actually "we lied about the game's progress and/or drama happened so we're quitting".

fuck me, this is getting more and more perfect and we haven't even done any actual creation yet.

OP here, a bit too tipsy and late for autism. Will try for some of that tomorrow.

Some Mod wanna sticky this thing? We're actually going somewhere, y'know.

Went for comical exaggeration this time, a Wario-esque approach to Peach.
Any thoughts?

That's a good one.

Plus getting a mod involved would guarantee cancer.

Holla Forums's mods are shit.

I personally prefer the Weach version, but this one looks like she's obviously a counterpart to Wario. Which is a good thing, mind. And good LORD those hips on the middle one
Sage for double posting like a fag

…Like I said, yipdu tipsy. Still, I want this to be safe.

Bitchy. The center one some kinda magic effect/glamour?

Oh shit I forgot about her but didn't she only appear for that scene and only that game.

Princess Daisy only appeared in one game. Mario spinoffs don't count

Wait, you're serious about Daisy?

Already said they do somewhat.

Drawfag 2 here.

I'm gonna try and make some Dream Team style character concept art for Wario as a warm-up.

I haven't drawn in over a week.

Good luck man I would imagine it would be a lot of shading work.

I think the middle one is how she USED to look… or how she wants to look, and is going to use the gems power to obtain said look.

I'm backing up these threads btw, it's too good to get lost
One thing I imagined is that the whole world is still shaped like the usual grassland-egypt-jungle-iceworld-etc style, except that, since we're talking Wario, master of greed, I think the spin could be that the kingdom they're trying to save is more akin to a magical New York with commercial-themed worlds.

I.E.: the water-world one is an expensive and exclusive tropical resort, so half the levels are through hotel-like scenery and half of it in standard coral reef fashion, the ice-themed world could be one huge megamarket filled with open freezers, the egyptian themed one could be a movie set, with scenery from epic pictures from the sixties as well as red carpets and curtains set all over the place etc.

Do you think you could come up with more costumes like in the OP? That's a really fun gimmick imo

Novice programmerfag here. I'm interested.
We should have at least an irc once we get past purely theoretical writing

I like that.

Sorry for Double-posting.
You could have at least one chapter with that attitude, a la Train mystery in TTYD, where everybody is serious and everything is bizarre, with many "chapter bosses" in one single chapter being all underlings of the chapter rival. It has potential. Whether it happens in a "manga world" or just use seoncdary characters to set up the mood its another story.

I did a thing.
It looks like a transvestite Wario.

I prefer the skinny one combined with this idea:

Maybe she goes muscular like Queen Bean due to the possession of a treasure monster boss, or using a potion?

In either case, Laisy could use the opposite by default (more muscular, short messy haircut, tomboy appearance)

Definitely not sold on the colors
The hair on either slim or fat Weach should be black, sure, but that gold looks like puke, shoulda made it silver or platinum or chrome like. Also, I suggest dark red and magenta as the main colors and the jewel should thus be bright green to complement those.

I think you guys are forgetting that Leach is a counterpart to Peach and not Wario specifically. Thus a design like is more fitting.

I was going for "tarnished gold" to show that she's broke.

I agree with you on the dark red + magenta + green jewels.

But, I'm more on board with: or "past-her prime" sort of deal.

Muscle monster Leach could turn up as a boss.

> Leach's "Washrineton DC" or "Washrüm Kingdom" is actually more like a duchy. Or just her castle. She's somehow managed to enslave some Goombas or a new species called Frogs (though whether they resemble actual frogs is TBD). Since Toad comes from Toadstool, why not have the Frogs as Frogmen? They look like shy-guys with diving gear + mask and snorkel. If her level is washing themed, their could be sections of the castle submerged in water.

I think it's best to use silver or any other material that does oxidize then, and draw/color rust all over it. Gold, at least according to my knowledge, DOES NOT oxidize. Could be wrong though.

Also nice characterization
Also what would their underlings be like? Small frogs named Sphongos, to keep with Toad's Mushroom-to-Frog inversion?

As for her colors, I think I'd go with redhead with bronze crown, ruby jewelry and kind of torn between black, indigo or dark green dress. Somehow she reminds me too much of this still of Dio Brando.

I love these ideas. It really works with Wario too, since he works very similarly in Warioland (instead of dying when you get hit by an enemy, you get a power-up)

This took longer than expected.

I also took off the spikes on her sholders until her monsterous/boss form.

Could have their health system be different as well. Rather than standard hitpoints, it's their desire to do stuff. When it hits zero, they flop on the ground and just laze about. Riches and treasures could be used as actual healing items with things like diamonds being the revives.

You know, part of me tells me this is the right combination of colors, but part of me is a bit unsure about the "intensity". Try either making the green a hue with more red in it, like warmer or something, and try making the hair a bit darker - still a bit more reddish black.

Adding more red to the green makes it brown.
And adding more red and making the hair darker basically makes it black, with such a subtle hint of red you can't tell.

Aight then

So instead of a typical Yoshi, would a Rex follow the wario bros trying to swipe their wallets at chance it can get. Or are we going to use that evil yoshi from RPG?

So whats the point of this thread again? Can't be assed to read the whole thing or the archive. I'm a pretty good writefag

Ideagoyim uniting to make another game concept that will only generate drama and never come to be because none of them can be arsed to learn coding.

Oh okay, I mean if its going to follow the style of a Mario RPG/ Mario & Luigi, this could be done relatively easy on RPG Maker and the like, right? Its not like it requires actual animators, coders etc like Anton & Coolpecker does.

Speaking from having worked on Anton.

Please for the love of god and I mean this, please just do whatever is the EASIEST to do.

I mean if this game is in the same vein as Mario & Luigi i'd be kind of dumb to make it in unity, unreal or something like that obviously. Are we still spitballing story, scenery etc?

Nope, RPG Maker only supports FF1-2 style RPGs, you'd need a better engine.

I mean if you guys could just do it like using a pre-made version and just editing things around then do it. Don't make the same mistakes as Anton did where things got needlessly complex when they didn't need to be.

Don't make the same mistake alot of chan projects do where you overcomplicate shit. Keep things simple so you can release a simple and fun game. Trust me when you start over complicating shit then things will go downhill fast.

and don't let val in

Or Infinity user.

We proposed a Paper Mario style game, and a Mario Bros style game with Wario & Waluigi.

The latter has had more ideas.

Infinity user is fine as long as he's not lead, don't let apple near the project though. Bastard wanted to move Anton to 4chan

Speaking from another chan project that has since fallen apart,

DO NOT LET VAL IN

amen

Yeah, never let Val or Apple in.

Apple is another notch/yandere dev and Val is fucking cancer.

Which one?

The Vivian James VN?

the vivian james vn.

and if anybody wants to see the state of the project, it's dead and buried..

DEEPEST LORE
EEPEST LORED
EPEST LOREDE
PEST LOREDEE
EST LOREDEEP
ST LOREDEEPE
T LOREDEEPES
LOREDEEPEST
LOREDEEPEST
OREDEEPEST L
REDEEPEST LO
EDEEPEST LOR

How is it my fault ? I left the project because it wasn't moving forward and no progress was made after a while. Tried to get everyone to go back at it after a few months, but with the paris attacks last november I kinda lost all drive to do much… and never went back to it. No idea where it's at since then. Didn't receive any news.

Regardless, this thing looks cool but I don't really know what it can all be about to be honest. Godspeed to you all, could be freakin' rad.

Is this the same Val as the ones in the GG threads?

yes
thanks a bunch for ruining the musical, too, you fucking nigger

It's on youtube actually; I'd advise downloading it because UMK has tried deleting it for copyright infringement and it might just flat out get taken out of youtube forever otherwise
saging for offtopic

Does somebody have that "Maximum damage control" picture?

I'll go back fully to lurking to avoid feeding the dramafaggotry and make the thread go offtopic; sorry about that, was wondering what that vivian vn thing was about. If I post again I'll do so only if I've got something to help.

See

You could make scripts that will let you do it, but I'm not sure how convoluted that would be.
You could just make your own engine in C. I'm making one right now for my own game and while it's not exactly a walk in the park it makes a good initial learning experience and should be within a reasonable scope for the project.

that's only true of regular RPGmaker, there's tons of free scripts and stuff that let you do more varied stuff, I think LISA used free scripts for buddy's timed attacks.

STOP

hey val allow collaborative subtitles, so I can copypaste the lyrics.

One question… why even make it with Nintendo IP? Why not make a Vivian James game so Nintendo can't just DMCA it?

fuck's sake user I wanted to go back into lurking
Weird, I could've sworn I had. It's checked so supposedly they should be possible already.

because the whole point is to have fun with the deepest lore and characters of the mario universe.

my shit browser didn't support it, switched to waterfox, sorry.
now get out

Cancer.

Sorry, I'm looking to be a competent programmer and I'm interested in the inner works of games and related programs in general.
I could go on and on regarding why it's a good idea to make your own shit, but if all you want to be is a game designer then it's perfectly fine to use an existing engine.

I'm talking about this particular situation.
imageboard projects die because there's too much work and not enough motivation, making an engine from scratch would probably stall development constantly and exacerbate this problem.

Oh. It really isn't that bad if the project happens to have a programmer or two that actually enjoys the work, but I suppose without that luck it wouldn't happen.
I just like to imagine anons who take on these projects are looking to learn a lot too.

talking from experience, anons who're learning can't have crucial jobs.
and making an engine is pretty crucial.

Maybe the right one should be steroidlike instead.

Wait, what the hell did Applegreen do? Or do you mean someone else?

I rather like this idea. Instead of normal health, it would be how much of a shit Wario and Waluigi give. They take too much 'damage', their slothness takes over their greed until reminded to keep going. It's just so fitting for the two of them. Besides, doesn't Wario eat jewels like the fatshit he is? Because other than mushrooms and garlic like in Wario World, I don't know what else would heal him, so shiny gems of all things could work.

Defenitely something more monsterous.
Even more so than pic related.

Look at the Wario World bosses vid

Exactly, bosses should be as freakish as they are in Wario World, if not more.

Aye. Garlic and Onions can serve as their red and green peppers for stat boosting, and I can see their physical stats being pretty high compared to mario and luigi. Of course, their stache stats would be low in comparison and I can see their gear being gaudy and expensive to make up for the fact they will be showered in coins. Bejeweled Bottoms, Golden Parachute Pants, ect.

Why not replace Stache with Greed?
Stache acted as luck + discount.
More Greed means you sometimes pull of amazing damage- because you want their money.
And shop-keepers see you so badly want the item they're selling- they're actually kind of scared!
That's how I'd justify it IMO.

I did have an idea. Started as a more blatant parody of Laura Croft and Nathan Drake.

You could have one of the Archeology NPCs be Cruft Erberus. Looks like an Isabell-esque little dog girl before it gets turned into a monstrous giant St.Bernard with dog-head earings. It can even sip on the barrel around it's neck for attacks or self-healing.

The other guy was gonna be Drake Oreongé. Arrogant duck man thing.

Well, thats the thing; The Wario bros have little luck. They always have. Mind you, their stats would allow them to hit high no matter what even if they don't crit, and I can see the Wario bros fighting enemies and the like who would simply have more coins. Besides, they could preform shakedown to make more cash, or perhaps doing good combos would allow it.

Meanwhile, the mario bros could be getting hand-me-downs and using cheaper coins to get their gear. While Mario goes to a generic grocery/super store for healing and gear, Wario goes to a jewelry store with fancy tailors.

What are you a homosexual?

Made something in the middle, less Wario-in-drag.

The middle one is what she was in her golden years.

Here's another one, more "past her prime" and with the totally legit eternal youth formula you get the monster that she really is.

Spazkid is more of a degenerate than I thought.

Holy shit yes. I love it!

I prefer the previous one.

I like the idea of having Greed as a stat, but why not have it provide a straight-up bonus to the amount of cash battles provide as Wario shakes down the enemies for every last coin they have, and an increase in cash shopkeepers pay for items sold to them as Wario jews them out of their coins?

I feel like you could combine some aspects of both the Weach concept and this new Leach concept and have the perfect design

I'll doodle some kind of amalgamation

Oh my god the face

Honestly it'd look much better as a counterpart since I'm not expecting anti-Peach to be the shining example of feminine beauty, but were it to be a two bitchy sister princesses I'd like both designs. This one works better, especially because of the short hair, but I still really like the idea of buff princess Weach.

Problem is, I keep seeing Waisy/Laisy as a non-entity almost.
A side-kick to Weach/Leach/Lyche who just tosses her healing items during the battle, and will fuck off for a bit after you beat her.

Well yeah, that's largely because Waluigi is something of a nonentity compared to Wario… I could see it as Laisy being a Fawful-style miniboss fought a few times throughout the chapter as Leach makes her escape, though.

Sooooo.. have her laze in front of the tv/security system, doing commentary here and there, maybe with some large machine to do all the work for her? Like a crane that actually feeds her grapes or something like that?

Someone like pic related except not fat and and with Frogs carrying her around

Considering Waluigi is known for being a cheater, how much of a cheater is Lazee?

I'd say a great deal of one, but in the sense that she cheats within the rules… since she makes the rules. Lots of goalpost-moving(which the bros give no fucks about), sudden and unexpected roadblocks(which get smashed) and for the showdown between the two to be basically who can Out-Wa the other.

Hmmm. I would say no. She could probably make some really good traps and such. Ingenious puzzles, and all sorts of things, but her lazyness would always leave them half finished or with a easy path for her to get through it so she doesn't have to worry about it. Like a perfect death trap.. with a piece of panel missing that the bros could smash through.

No make up for high maintence stuff for her, but if she actually put effort into herself, she'd be a real looker.

Has there been any talk of including references to Wario being a business owner?
I'm sure it's a kind of touchy subject for Wario Land fans since nintendo seems to want to forget about them and replace them with the WarioWare series, but I don't think it'd be a bad thing to include a reference or two in an attack or character cameo or something, just nods here and there, it's not like the game takes place in Diamond City or anything

Update on this

How does the shading look? I tried to get it as close as possible to the original style. I haven't touched the hat or moustache yet, so ignore the lack of shading there.

Fuck that style, my man. Bring in the old style pronto

Wario should probably be "sharper" in comparison to Mario's softer assets, even in that style
His face should also be a tad over-detailed to give him a grumpy look

It looks decent but it seems like the nose is a little to light.

The only difference is the blue outline, and I can easily make that black

You mean bright?

Yea that's what I meant my bad.

Buff princess is always a good choice.

Sure, go ahead, user. We can get to a middle ground with the concepts and ideas we got.

Looks good, pretty close to the style. Don0t be afraid of pushing the shadows or lights more.
The only things off I see are the eyebrows (they're thicker on the end of them and are square-ish) ans maybe the irises, they're usually small circles instead of big ovals.

is shokora still a thing? not sure if she fucked off back to heaven and stayed there forever or what

Whatever you do, don't add things willy nilly.

What do you think the circumference of Bowser's penis is?

Extremely delayed bump with some plotline autism, dealing with the archeological group as detailed in with the Lara Croft/Nathan Drake ripoffs… basically, the Wa-Bros and the archeological society group (composed of Not-Lara, Not-Nathan and an actual archeologist-type) going through some ancient ruins in search of the gem-thing… With the former leaving their own trail of destruction in that a whole bunch of sealed doors and such get smashed, and the latter acting, well, like Lara Croft and Nathan Drake do, to the utter horror of the actual archaeologist. At one point Not-Lara gets the gem(cue the bossfight in the quoted post), but said gem gets knocked deeper into the ruins post-fight and now Not-Drake wants to destroy the gem because the world isn't ready for it, Actual archaeologist wants to get it since it belongs in a museum vault… specifically the highest-security vault they can find, deep underground and under 24/7 guard… and the Wa-bros still want it because greed. Cue more ruins, more destruction, more utter horror from the actual archaeologist, ending with Not-Nathan getting the gem and setting up to be the final boss of the level… then the Wa-bros make one last-ditch attempt for the gem, which succeeds in getting Not-Nathan to drop it… then the actual archaeologist gets it, turning into the real final boss for the chapter. Cue fight.