Abilities in video games

What's the best special move in a video game, Holla Forums?

Stopping time or doing something that allows you to directly control your enemy.

Double jump

Mario's moveset between Mario 64 and Sunshine. Shame they dumbed it down so hard for Galaxy onwards.

Dashing

TOKI WO TOMARE!

cross counters

that game was pretty neat

Your favourite game has a real good move.

It's called "Quit to Desktop".

cumming inside

unlimited blade works

Almost any reality marble, really.

I said this in another thread once but I'll say it again
At first glance I thought that thumbnail was a micro guy on a purple table with his cock out getting sounded with a matchstick by a regular-sized hand.

I can somewhat see it.

grappling hooks used for movement. I'm surprised no one built a combat system around it yet.

Anger.

why did the last and final boss had to be a fucking shump?

Dragon boost is up there, yeah.

biotic charge

Wild 9? Bionic Commando?

Soap shoes

Save Scumming

Speed Booster is one of the most creative and enjoyable power-ups ever put into the vidya.

Double jump is fucking garbage if they don't design the levels to work with single jumps.

Try La Mulana. You can go almost anywhere without it, but when you get it, it feels fantastic.

Shantae and The Pirate's Curse has some outstanding ones. The combination of the Boots, Sword, Hat, and Cannon feels fucking fantastic.

Movement powers are almost invariably the best powers. However, it ultimately depends on the level design. This is especially so if combat can be efficiently integrated with the new movement mechanics. Or IS the new movement mechanics.

Space jump is great too.
Especially when you get the screw-attack/space-jump in Prime 2.

Using that shit to kill enemies was fucking rad.

Screw attack/space jump was fucking garbage in the Prime games.

It wasn't all powerful but it became a cool and tricky way to deal a huge load of damage to enemies.

If we're going to count the VNs and stuff like Fate/Extra which only sort of touches upon those ability, than I would second Infinite Creation of Swords as being one of the coolest abilities. It's unfortunately not something which can properly be implemented into a game.

With regards to games, the ability to stop time is definitely a major "cool" ability. I would also second any sort of "spell absorb" or "no sell" that you can use in-game as being nice, or any speed boosts that let you go fast. Flight is pretty nice if you have to work for it, like in Risk of Rain.

Mystic Eyes of Death Perception are probably the best ability, and thankfully useable in Melty. The downside is that they're not quite as useful. But then again, considering the character selection in that game, it make sense. Ryougi beating down Archetype Earth is a bit over the top.

As soon as you get Bash in Ori and the Blind Forest, the game's over. It's movement you can chain to get much higher than you're supposed to.

The ability to make beings explode from you teleporting inside of them is pretty awesome.

unziping your dick

Laying eggs.

copy

tech in iji was also pretty cool.

Only if it can be used intelligently, though. Mega Man and Kirby are great. Ditto is boring, by comparison.

Are there any games that let you fight using teleportation? It's a great power that usually only gets used for travel.

depends on what you consider fighting
Deadpool
Nightcrawler in X-Men Legends

Teleporting yourself, objects, and/or your enemies to deliver blows are perfectly valid methods of attack.

That actually incorporate it into the fighting directly? Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi and its sequels. Probably Xenoverse, but I haven't played it. Some of the Naruto games.

I cannot fucking believe that I can't think of any that aren't entry-level anime.

Salt mining.

Technically Mass Effect 3's multiplayer. The N7 Shadow has a teleportation-based sword power that places you behind enemies. Also some of the biotics-based characters have short-range teleportation evasion, which can allow you to phase through walls and do instant elevation changes.

swearing at people

zelda in smash 4
tracer in overwatch

Kick

Kats skillset
So gravity

Dishwasher: Dead samurai has a weapon-switching mechanic where your main weapon will always be the "shift blade" and you swap to a subweapon
The shift blade isn't as offensively powerful on it's own as the subweapons but has moves that work well with switching combos and it lets you freely do short teleports in any direction infinitely
Unfortunately it's an xbox live arcade game

Shit

Eating your enemies.

Do you mean going full Dahmer or sucking them off?

bouncing titties are the best video game ability

in the matrix online, you could use the jump program and leap all over the city. this was the coolest fucking way to explore in an MMO (city of heroes did this pretty well too) and i eventually had more fun just leaping around than i did trying to actually play the game

+10 Cyber Legs

Couching the lance.

Mixing copy abilities in Kirby and the Crystal Shards.

Refrigerator is the best power.

Nothing tops a worldbuilder in a Space 4x

Using a gun to keep yourself in the air

Using the genes of your ancestors to turn into various dragons

Iā€¦didn't think this game would hook me, I was wrong. Oh so goddamn wrong.

The cyclone attack was the most useful ability in that entire game.
Invincibility frames + damage + air floating = perfect

For me:

Shoryuken

the reflector