WINE

We all know GNU/Linux has no games. We all know WINE is a hunk of shit. But sometimes it actually works! What are some good games that work well in WINE?

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4206&iTestingId=17021
appdb.winehq.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

blizzard games do work exceptionally well

Pleb.

Okay you got me that game rules.

Does it have an active online community?.

wew
Install i3

If it makes you feel better I use GNUstep on my main PC.

No idea, I was just memeing. It is a pretty fun game though, as says. Other F2P Linux games like Wesnoth and Widelands are pretty fun too.

this is why dont post about technology on any *chans

Are you going to fucking deny it faggot? We're not talking about Holla Forums we're talking about video games. Post some or leave.

Not yet.

Killing Floor works better in WINE than the Lunix port.

Yes, I have made very different experiences.
Perhaps because I don't struggle with using technology.
No, I dislike helping people like you.

Falcom games work well under WINE with some tweaking. Played through both Trails in the Sky titles that way and I'm planning to play through Trails in the Sky The 3rd and Xanadu Next that way as well.

How to fix wine
Step 1: Install windows

well warcraft 3 worked quite well in wine, back then when it actually wasnt as good as it is now. if is to be trusted this should be the case with most of their games.

thief 2 works, although i had some crashes now and then - but i didnt even try to make it run well and had just did out of couriosity. also used texture packs etc, so it probably runs without any problems if you really want to.

thief 3 didnt really work for me as far as i remember, but im running linux on my toaster laptop, hence the games im stating.

osu works, if thats your thing.

jagged alliance 2 works, but i think i used fanmade linux client - i dont really remember, its been a while. look it up if youre interested.

openmw is steady on its way, so thats a thing to look forward to. it has nothing to do with wine though - just telling in case you didnt know that it exists.

probably bait, but if you like arena shooters give warsow a try.

ut2k4 also had a native linux client i think.
in addition to all the games that are on steam

that being said: theres a database for these sort of things. it also includes possible problems and workarounds most of the time
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4206&iTestingId=17021
so i dont know why you would ask Holla Forums of all places. do you know how to navigate the internet with search engines?

thats an even worse fate than having no games to play

why?

Like, do you loonixfags own consoles for when you've got nothing to play on your computer (which is always)?

Wesnoth is great, shame it takes a long time with more than 2 players since it's a turn based strategy game. Warzone 2100 is a lot of fun too, but I'm awful at getting research completed at a reasonable speed to build decent units.

Old Westwood games run great if you crack the CD check, there are a few other games I've tried but I don't remember them all. Mugen 1.0/1.1 work great in addition to the older LinMugen and WinMugen builds.

Simcity 3K works better in wine than on modern windows, so that's something.

My nigga.

Also, what's wrong with playing libre vidya? Go play some Warsow while it's still around.

Welp, time to SPLIT MY HARD DRIVE WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER again to make space for another attempt at getting some random distro to work.
I bet PS3 controllers can't even be used.

Anno 1404 Gold
DiRT 3 Complete Edition
Falcom games

they all work in recent wine versions without having to fuck with winetricks

Nigga, please.

I've been playing Thief Gold with WINE and it's run fine for me.

All I see mentioned on GitHub is that xbox controllers are covered (which I own, too, but fuck they're uncomfortable compared to PS).

I have an Xbox 360, and a toaster laptop running Linux that I use to play games from 2006 and before. I had a PS4, but that's the true nogames system, so I sold it.

Embed related. I wish Mastodon was still good.

but it already works past linux versions of 2.0

Command and conquer 3, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, New vegas, Stalker, morrowind, oblivion, and skyrim, Alpha Centarui, Thief, Diablo I, Diablo II, work extremely well. Near perfect.

All valve games work perfectly (before they became native). Dues ex was iffy. World of tanks was iffy (but their code a shit, even on windows).

The games I have the most trouble with is every single smut game .

And with the frequency of this posting off of Holla Forums, I'm convinced this is a shaming bait tactic for good games.

We have a native in tree driver. You have a hack. Also got one for the wii mote too, and native blue tooth support.

DS3 controllers were implemented as well. It's what I used on my boxes.

Oh, before I forget W40k: Dawn of War and its expansions, mechwarrior 2, 3 is perfect.

TIE fighter doesn't work. (its a shame)

See pic

I used to play Path of Exile, Warframe, Warriors Orochi, all the Falcom games. Not sure if Warframe still works, it was a bit hit and miss with updates to WINE and the game itself, but not much loss if it doesn't.

Pretty much every VN works, and a bunch of h-games. Artificial Academy 2 doesn't render faces properly, which is the biggest downer of everything I've failed to run. The new illusion trial runs pretty well, though.

Fuck yeah, now I have no excuse not to fire up good ol' Mastodon.

Color me retarded, I thought if Windows had no easy solution, Linux would be fucked all the same. I'm proud of the community, this motivates me to try hard.

WINE works most of the time if you're willing to configure it.

The only games I couldn't get to work were shitty Korean MMOs, but it's hard to say if that's actually a bad thing.

Can you elaborate a bit? Do I have to configure WINE individually for each game, or is it a one time thing? And if the latter, how should it be configured?

Per game, generally.
It can be a bit of a bitch, you'll tend to have to read the appdb.

If you're lazy you can use Play on Linux, which configures it per-game for you. It works most of the time, but when it doesn't it can be a bit harder to fix than wine normally would be.

Fair enough, my younger self would be too lazy for this shit, but I play less and less vidya nowadays anyway, so I'll be able to make do with that.

they are called image boards

Its best to have wine configured individually for each program (called wine bottles). The process isn't intensive. Often the only task is that Windows programs windows binaries and libraries. A program known as Winetricks will allow someone to download what's needed and install into the targeted wineprefix.

Its best to read dedicated wikis (arch and gentoos are superb), man pages on the subject.

If you want a gui wizard to help, a program called PlayOnLinux contains methods to automate the configuration of a good number of games. Even if an automatic script doesn't exist, PlayOnLinux can make configuration easy and painless.

Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 works just fine with WINE. I used PlayOnLinux's installer and never had a problem. I never used Stracciatella but I don't see a whole lot of purpose in it with regards to playing it on GNU/Linux. It's still in "active" development but it's slow and probably won't reach conclusion any time soon if at all.

I've been meaning to sort all my games into a Linux/WINE and Windows-only folder. If I did I could just post the output of ls, but here's some good ones:
ALLTYNEX
Touhou, at least 6 and 12
Most Star Wars games
Ace of Spades
AM2R
Deus Ex
Pathologic
lostboy.exe
Neverwinter Nights iirc
Warcraft III
You could just look at the WINE appdb if you're looking for games to try.

ayy

Not if you dualboot.

You do know that you can have more than one operating system on the same computer, right? I just try a game on WINE and if I can't get it to work in a reasonable amount of time I reboot I play it on Windows. My computer boots pretty fast and most games I play work in WINE, so it's really no big deal to reboot if a game doesn't work.

There is too many games that work, why don't you just check the AppDB yourself?
appdb.winehq.org/
I use Wine exclusively for games, haven't booted up my Windows partition in years. But I also don't play any new games (fuck Steam), so there's that.

Also, it's officially called Wine, if you capitalize every word it's like you're shouting in the middle of the sentence.

Linux has more games than any platform

I am amazed at how much you try to push the "GNU/Linux has no games and Wine is shit" since weeks. Too bad it actually isn't the case, as the only games that do not work on Wine are mostly recent shit we usually don't care about (because of how shit it is).

Looks like I'm not the only one noticing that recent trend.