Dreamcast Thread

Just picked one of these suckers up and burned a game. The game screen slides up and down my tv screen. The game is PAL while tv is NTSC
Did I fuck up?

Other urls found in this thread:

kat.cr/dcres-complete-pack-of-sega-dreamcast-games-t6523988.html
theisozone.com/downloads/pc/other/update-v13-imgburn-2570-w-dreamcast-drivers/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14fCQ3NXIlW1ZC_gjIejpQVPG34fLWmSoXYgSTyxdRWM/edit#gid=0
bswirl.kitsunet.org/
pastebin.com/6fE7nRBb
jetsetradio.live/
epforums.org/showthread.php?56169-Dreamcast-VGA-Compatability-list-amp-Guide
dreamcastlive.net/blogs/post/ChuChu-Rocket-Is-Back-Online/
theisozone.com/downloads/dreamcast/homebrew-games/beats-of-rage-collection-vol1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Of course you did you retard. If it's an NTSC game, it only works with NTSC hardware. There's a 10hz difference, that's why it doesn't work.

Alright, what's the best place to download them?
Inb4 isozone

Same place you downloaded them faggot. See if emuparadise has them

kat.cr/dcres-complete-pack-of-sega-dreamcast-games-t6523988.html

IsoZone has every single game, even the rare ones like LOL.

Wave of pasta incoming

Alright Holla Forums so we get weekly Xbox threads from Xbox user. We get weekly PS2 threads as well, but no Dreamcast threads?

I know quite a shame, so to all you anons that missed out on this great console you're in luck as the Dreamcast is:

Dreamcasts run at about $40 on jewbay but you can surely get it cheaper somewhere else. I know $40 for an old console is kind of wank but you wont have to spend money on games. Get your hands on a Dreamcast that has a 1 on the back. See pic (beside NTSC). Note Dreamcasts with a 2 can still play burned games but there is a slight chance that they might not, don't risk it unless absolutely necessary.

Get your hands on the following:

> theisozone.com/downloads/pc/other/update-v13-imgburn-2570-w-dreamcast-drivers/
> CDI's here: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14fCQ3NXIlW1ZC_gjIejpQVPG34fLWmSoXYgSTyxdRWM/edit#gid=0

Much like the OG Xbox, the Dreamcast is an underrated console that due to SEGA's baffling decisions lived a short-life. Still, the dreamcast is the king of the arcade so if you want shmups, beatemups, arcade-ports and multi-player fun then you'll feel right at home. In fact, the Dreamcast is still seeing releases to this day with very interesting and fun games like Volgarr the Viking, Gunlord and Pier Solar.

True. But a necessary evil for the console. But there are some uses to them, check out this website bswirl.kitsunet.org/ to find out how to import game saves and how to modify your VMU's to increase their blocks! Do note the website looks like it was made in the 90s.

Unlike Dolphin or PPSSPP, Dreamcast emulators are really spotty with missing textures, terrible sound, the whole jazz. Emulation on ARM devices using Reicast apparently is really good, yet, there is no stable PC version so you'll have to wait some time for proper DC emulation. In the meantime, get yourself a cheap DC and start playing! No need to hack/modify, just burn n play. It is still a viable option if you're strapped for cash and only want to try a few titles, note you will encounter issues for some games. Sometimes is small things like soundeffects not working on Grandia II or may be bigger problems like flickering textures on Evolution. Notable emulators are Nulldc and Demul

Like everything on earth, dreamcasts die. More specifically, the laser tends to be the first thing to fail (hence why you should use good quality CD-Rs). There is a way to fix the laser yet its a tad complicated and its a short-term solution at best. For those that are tech savvy, have a dead DC, or simply want a project, Dreamshell and GDEMU are for you. The former is software that allows users to play CDI's and GDI's from the serial port using a special USB SD Card reader. Note compatibility is very spotty. The latter has much better compatibility (pretty close to 100%) but requires one to modify their dreamcast. Its a more costly alternative as well costing over 100 euros.

All chart games (and more) in MEGA links below
pastebin.com/6fE7nRBb

Thread theme of the day: GROOVY
jetsetradio.live/

Thats odd. Do you have an NTSC Dreamcast or a PAL one? Disregard this faggot because what he's saying is bullcrap. I own an NTSC dreamcast and I've played PAL only games like Shenmue II, Evil Twin, Fighting Vipers 2 and Headhunter. Its either a problem with your TV or your cables. maybe you burnt the game badly too.

You can find full sets on Rutracker and Kat, however, if you don't want to download half a terabyte of games see . Theres a google docs spreadsheet with CDI's and a pastebin with MEGA links.

Using the RFU adapter, dreamcast is NTSC

I recently bought Evolution (NTSC-U) to find out it doesn't work with the VGA adapter. This is odd, since according to some forums and other ISE results, it should be. It also says so on the box, but that never meant anything. Do I just have an old version disc, or is there something else going on? None of my other games are incompatible

Does the box/manual say it is VGA compatible? If not I think the CDI has VGA support enabled. Very few dont.

Its probably the adapter thats fucked up. Either that or a problem with your TV (maybe the converter?)

Is there a list (or pack) of games for the SD card adapter through the serial port? It seems like I can't just pop on any old .cdi and have it work, it has to be a special image for it to work. theisozone has a section, but it seems incomplete.

It has a thing on the back that says "VGA Cord"
Similarly, Code:Veronica, GTA 2 and Soul Calibur say "VGA Cord". MvC2 says "VGA Box", as does NFL 2K2 and 2K1. Others work with VGA and don't have anything about it on the back, like Sega Rally 2 and Draconus. All of the games listed work on VGA. I have the retro-bit box thing that has VGA, component, and s-video. When switched to component mode, Evolution works perfectly fine, but on VGA mode it won't even start.
Worst case scenario I burn a .cdi or deal with a shittier picture

For the record, I've not tested s-video mode and I have no idea how it would work, given that the switch on the box is 2-way and only selects "PC" or "TV"

The adapter might be the problem, every other game seems to be working fine except for the PAL RECV

According to epforums.org/showthread.php?56169-Dreamcast-VGA-Compatability-list-amp-Guide SoulCalibur shouldn't work without a patch, and I have the disc version working perfectly on VGA. Either that list is shitty, or my VGA Box defies physics and does its own thing.

I'm not using VGA but RFU

Can't you just replace the damn thing like with every other CD console i can think of(including early 90's shit like PS1, sega and turbo cd.

Sorry I thought you were responding to my side of the post because im a faggot that doesn't check IDs

Dreamcast takes GD-ROM, which is different from CD-ROM. Maybe you can replace the GD reader, but I'd imagine it would be very expensive

With the USB and HDD options out there has anyone ever released the full unadulterated ISO images of the GD-ROM discs? (without compression and removing files)

Were there any games that actually utilized the full size of the GD-Rom?

ISO zone

Yes. Look for GDI releases.

There were several but most of them could be downsampled without losing much (or anything).

The only two I can think of off the top of my head would be D2 and Skies of Arcadia

Burn a region changer disc, you dummy.
Are there any good gundam games for the dreamcast?

Play Illbleed. That's the craziest shit ever made.

mfw I sold my collectors edition of Shenmue and Skies….

jesus christ those VMUs will never be clean again

Why would you do that user? Shame.

Kek

D2, Draconus and Skies of Arcadia come to mind. I dont know if they used the full 1.2GB but theyre close.

Just go to the GDI section of Isozone

That game is fucking madness on wheels.

if I told you much stuff I sold off due to poverty Holla Forums would have me crucified. I didn't want to, but I had a family to feed. The two that hurt me the most were P.D.S. and my Virtual On twin sticks (Saturn edition with DC converter)…and my ferrari wheel for my DC…and …and ….so much sorrow

What are some other Hack and Slash games like this?

They don't even have to be on the Dreamcast.

You have alimony now, don't you?

no I still feed them, making decent cash now…not sure why I used the word "had"
zero alimony…..she's completely insane about me and refuses to leave
kids are fine…..and love gaming

Buy a used wii and softmod that shit. Get those kids playing old titles like Contra or Castlevania.

Don't let cowadoody take over their lives.

What's the best way to get a fight stick working with the Dreamcast? I don't want to buy the official ones.

Demul has close to 100% compatibility but has two major problems, it's crashy as fuck (simply unfocusing the main wndow is enough sometimes) and it as wildly varying requirements (some game run well on pretty much anything while other need a recent desktop i5), if you can get past that it still has a couple quirks like basically requiring you to use Vsync and shader cache generation stuttering but it plays anything that isn't a Win CE game well and can handle a few Win CE games well, it also does emulate arcade system based on the DC.

Reicast has a stable PC version, but reicast is shit (basically castrated NullDC for use with crappy low power ARM devices)

Bump

Well at least we know who the underaged faggot is.

What says, a modded Wii is well worth the time, especially since they can get a shit load of classic games across a variety of older systems (NES/FC, SNES/SFC, Genesis, GBA, etc) as well as ability to play downloaded Gamecube and Wii games from a USB, and aside from the system and an SD card (also maybe a card reader if your computer doesn't have a built in one), you don't have to pay a cent for the games themselves if you can find the downloads online. The modding itself is pretty damn easy too, and if you're lucky enough to have an older model, you can install bootmii as boot2 and have a way to revert possible bricking.

I do wish that those third party SNES-to-Wii controller adaptors were still being made though, since the Gamecube D-pad isn't the best.

Bump

This user is right. Its what I did for my nieces for christmas. Filled it to the brim with Wii,NGC, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GBC, Megadrive & Sega CD games. The modding itself is easy, you'll probably have to read a bit to understand how the emuNAND works.

Check if your television truly can't into pal on its menus.

Recently found out there's a Rainbow Cotton for the dreamcast! This should definitely be on the chart. It plays a lot like the Megadrive one except way more colourful.

I don't know why but It just will not fucking work every time I try.

I'll add it in for the next one, along with RE:CV. Could use a few more things that might still be missing though; not much sense in a whole new version just for two games.

Youre the user that couldny get it to work in the last N64 thread right? Did you try re-installing the cIOSes?

I am not that user from the last thread.

And also I got the gamecube games working now! Time to enjoy me some good old 6th gen games.

Napple Tale should also be on the chart.

What was wrong with the NGC games? You forgot to set it as primary FAT32?

Always wanted to play this game but I can't into nip, and I hear you'd otherwise need a guide to play it. Hows the game?

Napple Tale is an awful game.

It's also missing Twinkle Star Sprites.

Reminder that cdi formated games remove or compress content to fit on a CD.

Also OP is a giant faggot for not knowing NTSC and PAL differences.

I've heard that game is shit. It's impossible to aim thanks to that bitches broom taking up half the screen.

Sonic Adventure 2 did. The cdi rip I had years ago removed the entire Japanese voice track. There might be a version that still had it compressed to a low bitrate but I haven't checked.

Somebody is already translating this game and other. Still waiting .

RE2 maybe? It looks way better than the ps1 version, which to my memory was on the ps1 chart

I think thats pretty obvious, even so very few games have content cut or downsampled to such a degree that it is jarringly obvious. In fact, many CDI's are better than their GDI counterparts as the modders not only delete fluff, unwanted and uneccessary data (stuff like repeated assets, 10+ languages) but add things like VGA support. Of course, there are some games that are too large where it is necessary to do such things, such as Soul Calibur (only mono- audio) and D2 (split in like 8 discs).

Nice, got a link?

Played it, and you are right it does look better. Most multiplats do.

Bomp

Sure, I'll put it on the list for the future.

Wrong, see

Nigger no. Stereo audio was common place and an industry standard by 1999, and many games relied on it. Fact is cdi rips are a scattershot method to play Dreamcast games. If any game removes content, either find a way to burn GD discs or buy a legit copy.

A wonder discs and reading lazers weren't vertical and un bound by size. Games then if using less space, using a smaller disc. Larger games with larger discs. Extentions for reading lazer sold. Firm locking mechanism and motor. More information by surface area, exponential by disc size so small discs very stupid unless portable. As all portable things used cartridges or tapes no reason for compact discs. Fucking stupid idea for them to be portable considering skipping and scratches.

So games nearly no disc at all, to record (LP)size, then larger. Have console mounted on a wall. Use multiple lazers. Now use RAM and drives along with disc.

Could have at least exobyte sized games with thicker holographic discs. Door sized. Pirate proof.

People would have been used to record sizes. Smaller discs a fucking stupid idea. Desktop towers easily able to have such spin on the sides. Players for TVs the same. Guess the equivalent of HD. By parasites for parasites, intentionally making things worse, stupidity all they are so that tried to be made attractive, advertising enough to accomplish that.

The fucking PS2 could have had 100TB holographic discs though. What a joke. Fucking students, capitalist cowards.

Dreamcast used DirectX, so it was corrupt from the start. Decided to betray freedom and high standard so sent to the degenerate pile with the rest.

Something for artists to be aware of:
That parasites are present so make things they can't touch or distribute.

Things only accessed by what will be good to them.

Audience for themselves. Expect at least themselves.

Students will result I suppose to cheat access.

Pretend to be the source.

Things requiring generation to unlock them may be a key. Consistant and unfakable. A program performing trying to do as approved denied.

Interesting for things to exist always accessible, but not under observation or by students. Have to blend with their life perhaps. Immune from preperation. Irrelevant gooks wanting formulas fucked off to be destroyed by themselves. Anything they touch undesirable. Damned good things either killing them all or killing themselves. Victorious perhaps smashing that system so they can be saved from it. Or just resisting always enough connection to get them out.

Oh schizo user, don't ever change.

Also nigger, Dreamcast didn't have DirectX and PS2 in no way could have used 100 terrabyte discs, fucking bluray didn't go into development until around the early 2000s

Not according to Sega, hence the Windows ME logo on the front. TBH, all I remember is Sega advertising that functionality a long ass time ago, I don't know if they actually provided the API and I'm too lazy to even search.

as with like 90% of consoles, you are better off using the actual hardware.

Nigger what? You know there are several versions of CDI rips right? Just get the japanese one if you want to play Sonic in Japanese. I don't care if trivial things (like languages) or unecessary data is eliminated if I can play the game for free. Its when shit like Soul Calibur happens that makes me go and buy the GDI since mono audio sucks (I wasn't saying mono was the standard, I'm just saying the most common rip needed mono otherwise it wouldn't fit)

Muh muh fidelity, muh muh how developers intended. Get the fuck out with that shit, very few CDIs are worse than their GDI counterparts.

Anything pre-5th gen is fine by now (SNES in particular since most flashcarts don't have full support for special chip game and generally those that do use FPGAs to emulate them using the code currently found in bSNES), N64 is actually seeing significant progress lately and PS1 is on the verge of being perfect (PSio still has lower compatibility than Mednafen right now)

Dreamcast just happens to be one of the least supported system now, better shape than Saturn but not by much.

You're the reason romsites are shit go fuck yourself.

Kill yourself
Kill yourself. Anyone not going for accuracy is a faggot. I don't want to rip multiple discs just for language options. If I want the game as it is, I want the game as it is. I'd rather use Demul than using cdi rips.

Sure thing faggot, everyone does a playthrough in French after finishing it in Japanese

Own roughly 80 Dreamcast games you turbo-autist. About 90% of Dreamcast games never used the full GDI hence why CDIs are a perfect alternative. Go fuck yourself with a tube TV you cock-monger

Quality iopinions

Tip top kek nigger. Next post is going to be how everyone should be a buy-fag too, I'm guessing.

.gdi has existed as a format far longer before GDEMU became a thing, you're coming off as a retard.

I actually only emulate as I can't justify spending several hundred bucks on a retro system just to play a handful of games I haven't already played so no, and if you emulate there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be using gdi considering cdi causes even more problems with Demul than it does on real hardware and they're easier to find anyways.

Oh so you are a fucking retard. Pf course you wouldnt use CDIs for emulation, the reason behind CDIs existence is die to the fact that GDIs dont fit on a CD-R. Also
Kill yourself pronto

Are you pretending to be retarded or are you talking to yourself?

You need to go back ;^)

I only have three posts in the thread, reddit.

It's not like I'm telling you right from the start to not use cdi unless forced to, oh wait that's exactly what I've been saying, you're just being a fucking blind retard.

And because of that reason you fucking retard shitters pollute romsites with your shitty fucking rips that are barely usable on anything but a specific piracy trick / setup or cause accuracy problems in the long run, already happened with plenty of other system and every single fucking time the same shitty excuses "but it works for me" and every fucking time when something better comes along all the retards like you complain when they can't use their shit dumps and start crying about how it worked before..

WORKSFORME™

I'm sorry you're too retarded to use the latest stable version of Demul that doesn't crash going to fullscreen.

what has changed with the n64?

All i need now is one of those browser discs and for the online games to come back(they just got Chu Chu Rocket and Toy commander back up awhile back)

Basically some dude started optimizing Angrylion pretty heavily while the libretro team is developing a vulkan based LLE renderer which is pretty much Angrylion on your GPU so pretty much anything from the RDP side of things is fixed or soon to be fixed in a way that is usable, some problems are still here but that's pretty much more development in several month than in the last 5 years, still need a decent RSP dynarec to be fully fine but yeah it's massive progress nonetheless.

To give you an idea you can now cross bridges in Body Harvest at playable speed.

I loved Sonic Adventures as a kid. Those little guys that lived on your memory card were cool.

can you go underwater in goemon's great adventure?

Good question, if it's a RSP problem then probably no, if it's a RDP problem then likely yes.

Lol wut? CDI rips are only used for CD-Rs you dumbass, if you want fucking GDI rips go to the GDI section of isozone like everyone else. There's even a bunch of games where nothing is downsampled at all because like I said
MOST DC GAMES DON'T USE THE FULL GD-R
Its not a matter of it works for me but rather an alternative to buying fucking expensive games, where the difference (except for a few exceptions, not the rule) is infinitesimal/ no difference at all. Its not like the existence of CDI's harms, dillutes or hampers the existence of GDI rips.

Enjoy the equivalent of ZSNES. Faggot.

Nigger where?

dreamcastlive.net/blogs/post/ChuChu-Rocket-Is-Back-Online/

does the first level even play at a correct framerate

Current year best year

Plebeian plz
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4f8d3549e1b536d5b2b183592dc574404a9c5135

Shit rips are shit rips you can cry about that all you want it won't change, I know it might seem like an extremist stance but I saw what hapenned to the PS1 scene and I don't fucking want that to happen again someplace else (there's also fucking Darkwater polluting the Saturn scene since the fucking 90's but that's another story)
In case you're wondering what happened, .iso rips are still rampant and people still ask why their music doesn't work ingame, also .ecm faggotry for no justifiable gain and even though now .bin/.cue are accessible it's still gonna take years for them to become the norm and I don't even wanna think about how things are gonna go when better formats are gonna be introduced

It does because retards think it's better because it's slightly smaller so they reupload it fucking everywhere instead of having both (or just proper rips at the very least) meaning everyone who does anything in relation to DC (be it emulators, ODE or other ways to play games) have to either bother supporting crappy rips (but that generally doesn't work out) or tell people who use those to go fuck themselves and deal with the backlash

Don't talk about what you don't know, ZSNES has little accuracy and low compatibility but it is very fast, Demul has very close to 100% compatibility with very little bugs and is relatively accurate most of it's problem are outside the realm of emulation (shit sync, shader cache stuttering, prone to crashing)

Don't have the hardware to test right now but it shouldn't take you more than a couple minute to set that up if you do.

What, you mean .iso+.mp3? because i've never had a problem with a normal iso image.

No normal .iso, they don't have track info so things can get hairy on games using separated tracks for music, .bin/.cue are always preferable and pbp are even better when supported (single file for everything even on multi CD games.

.iso+.mp3 is a cancer that has kind of died now, for PS1 at-least.

Dreamcast is one of the hardest muthafuckin systems in the street nigga, the Dreamcast be b ballin as shit yo.

I actually have a couple Darkwater ripas, whats wrong with them?

As far as CDIs polluting other romsites I wouldnt know, Ive only used them for my DC and GDIs when I emulated

TBF older TVs didn't work with PAL, nor did we expect them to.

No well maintained hash database meaning corrupted reuploads pollute the already not always flawless releases, redump now has a solid database for those so that's what's the best right now, trurip ain't too bad since they also have a hash database but some of their rips are randomly not burnable and their database isn't as complete as redump.

Huh, well atleast Ive been lucky enough to have darkwater rips that work. Will keep an eye out tho

You nailed it.

It's so fuckin'hotinherethatImgonnahavetoputonmysunglasses dawg. That's how hot the Dreamcast is.

Those trips seem to agree

Bump

Boomp

So beats of rage games are small, right?
Why hasn't anyone made a compilation disc or the like?

First page of isozone brah
theisozone.com/downloads/dreamcast/homebrew-games/beats-of-rage-collection-vol1/
also thats a sick ID

You tried

None of my old blank CD's will burn games for some reason ugh.