ITT Good game boy games

why is it so hard to get a good Game Boy recommendation list going?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h6sBPnoMkHc
vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Boy
volafile.io/get/OM69PYMIw67VQA/user's Nintendo Game Boy romset.zip
romhacking.net/translations/1623/
romhacking.net/translations/2330/
volafile.io/get/Geu_Pn4Iw64pUA/user's Organized Game Boy Color romset.zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Have you even tried?

Wario Land was fairly engaging and there are also the Zelda games. I recommend Zelda DX. Pokemon RB&Y also existed. Lufia, Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy I, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Yoshi's Island, the Pokemon card game one, Ultima, and the Mario ones are also worth a play through.

It's hard to get a recommendation list going if you provide nothing to start it with.

this is what i have so far.

Curiosity bump

Dragon Warrior Monsters

Do you want plain gameboy or gameboy color as well?

Both are usually considered one and the same. Although the clasic GB had a higher ratio of good games in contrast to the shovelware.

If you like VVVVV and Shantae you'll like this

The level design was horrible. Xtreme Sports was better.

Pokemon Silver and Gold too

Crystal***

add Mole Mania and TMNT 3: Radical Rescue.

This was the beginning of stupid and awful 'more cutscenes and talking than necessary' in the Zelda series.
Stick with Link's Awakening and call it a day

Batman

The game dose get hard as fuck near the end though. Think I only ever beat it once or twice as a kid. But I can probably get through the five or so levels blind folded I played it so much.

youtube.com/watch?v=h6sBPnoMkHc

Wow that last sentence got mangled. maybe if it just posted the first time that wouldn't have fucking happened kike wheels

Chart user should make the GB and GBC games segregated but still on the same chart or at least have a mark for GBC games and a mark for GB games that get enhanced by the GBC (Like Gold and Silver)

I'm here. I'd be willing to do so, but I don't see much GB/GBC discussion. Makes it a bit hard to get much going when I'm not entirely sure what people would want to see on it, besides some of the basics.

That was a comfy and good game.

I'm looking for a gameboy game a friend of mine used to play all the time. It was some kind of Zelda clone, it had really catchy music and you played as an alien.

You guys know what I'm talking about?

Sorry, my nostalgia kicked in.

You haven't lived until you've played Donkey Kong '94.

game boy threads are always slow as hell. Maybe it's because most anons never played GB? we are old

the only recommendation list i found is this
vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Boy

The list is a little bit small if you consider that the game boy has around 1049 games. I can bet my ass there are some gems out there but since it is so slow here we mightnever see/find these games.

I uploaded a set of roms for GB.

volafile.io/get/OM69PYMIw67VQA/user's Nintendo Game Boy romset.zip

Bill & Ted's Excellent Game Boy Adventure was an awesome eurostyle puzzle platformer. I remember it reviewed badly for being too hard, because, even back then, reviewers sucked at playing games.

I mostly played arcade games on my GB. I don't see the point in recommending games that have better ports/version elsewhere.

With the GBA, I at least had an existing list built up from quite a while back of seeing a fair amount of discussion from anons. But yeah, not a whole lot of GB/GBC discussion. I suppose I should start trying to build up a list of titles though for somewhere down the line when I feel I have enough to work with for one.

On that note, anyone know if Revelations: The Demon Slayer ("Megami Tensei: Last Bible" in Japan) is worthwhile? I assume it did something right since it got two sequels in Japan, but I never hear much on that subseries.

Come on mate

People are recommending you games and you aint listening nigger.

i wonder what happened to all those old game boy games i had. there was this large case that was shaped like a gameboy just filled to the brim with cartridges and one day it just wasnt there when i looked for it.
there arent really any games that come to mind that havent already been posted in the thread.
dont pass up on wario land though. i love the first one although some anons seem to prefer 2 or 3.

here are a handful of less obvious recommendations

for the frog the bell tolls was made in the same enginge and by the same people as link's awakening. More focus on story and characterization than a zelda game though, here's a link to the translation patch for it.

romhacking.net/translations/1623/

Ayy

Motocross Maniacs - fun little dirtbike/trick racing game
Revenge of the Gator - decent video pinball

Pinball - Revenge of the 'Gator

I can't tell what exactly makes it good. But, I really loved it back in the days.

My nigga. Came in here to post this.

Also,

Did anyone here ever play Metal Walker?

AKA that Capcom RPG involving robot battles that are played like cross between pinball and pool/billiards.

I'd add Metroid & Spiderman.

All three of the Game and Watch games are worth picking up. though the first is kinda redundant if you have the GBA game

I did, I think I beat it 3 times when I was a kid.
I remember really liking the designs of the three secret transformations you could find if you looked hard enough.

Nominating Survival Kids.

jesus christ what a flashback. Never beat it though, what a weird game.

Posting updated list with stuff people have mentioned thus far. Open to suggestions for further additions and refinement of what's already on it.

On a related note, I figured I might make a note of which original Game Boy games have added color effects when played on the GBC or GBA. If memory serves, Pokemon Yellow did, but I figure there's probably more than that.

Wario Land II is godly. You'll never need anything else.

The GB version of Daikatana was great.

Reminds me of Kirby's Pinball Land.

Holy shit, Survival Kids! That game was hard as fuck back in the day, mostly because it didn't explain fucking anything. At least, that's how I remember it. I wonder if I've still got mine laying around somewhere.

Did you try the DS sequels?

Didn't even know they existed. Are they any good?

I doubt that anybody here has two GBs, a link cable, and another person who wants to play multiplayer GB games…

but if you do, The Hunt For Red October is one of the best GB multiplayer games there is.

It's an asymmetrical RTS where one player plays the extremely powerful Red October submarine, and the other player controls every other unit.

single player is fun, but MP is really something ahead of its time

The DS sequels are garbage compared to the originals. Play Survival Kids 2, it got a translation patch recently.
romhacking.net/translations/2330/

Lost in Blue has some annoying mini-games, but is otherwise well-made. The story is pretty good. The sequel fixed most of the problems from the original.

My personal recs are 2 obscure JP-only titles:

Magical Vacation (prequel to Magical Starsign, a DS JRPG that was localized).

Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai (yet another obscure JRPG, quirky with a high fantasy setting and fun gameplay.)

Been meaning to update that with new additions soon (but I've had a hard time on getting further input in past threads on whether there's any issues with the pending ones to be added; people seem more apt to say stuff doesn't belong after it's already up rather than before it is).

Worth mentioning that Magical Vacation has a fan translation patch now.

i have everything you mentioned, even the game and im a fuckign master at it, i loved it so much as a kid and i still do. but i doubt we leave near each other

MY nigga!
DQM sucked up days of my childhood.

Played it, but never beat it. It's been on my "put this on a emulator on some handheld and beat it" list for a while.

Did you know Metal Walker was based on a line of Japanese Digimon knock-offs?

Shantae was a GBA enhanced game when it came out; not only did it have completely overhauled color effects on the GBA, but it also gave you a special exclusive transformation.

volafile.io/get/Geu_Pn4Iw64pUA/user's Organized Game Boy Color romset.zip
An organized GBC pack.

C A V E N O I R E

Is it normal that this game kicked my ass when I was a lad?

Bump

I'm heard good praise for Cattrap. It's a little puzzle platformer that where you can reverse time with a button press to undo mistakes (apparently the first to do so).

You can also create your own levels and trade them via password. distinction of being th

One of the most frustrating things about this and other GB's mutliplayer is how they will be forgotten to time as few will ever have played them. Or even filmed for YouTube.

I knew of asymmetrical gameplay for Radar Scope and Mole Mania. But have never heard until your post that Red October has it's own RTS for multiplayer, which sounds awesome.

The 3DS VC not having multiplayer for handheld games that aren't Pokemon RPG's makes this even more annoying.

Here's something that modern kids actually can't really experience.

Going to the store, buying a brand new game, putting it your console/handheld, turning it on, and actually playing the game within 10 seconds of power on. Not to be a nostalgiafaggot, but I do miss the simplicity of a game system that actually just played games and didn't try to do anything more.

Certainly something to be enjoyed about the DS and earlier handhelds. Admittedly there is the "select function" screen for the DS, but the system boots up fast enough and you just have to press A or tap the DS slot icon to start playing. Also the fact that there's no need for memory cards or firmware updates that can lock you out of playing something if you don't feel like updating.

Noted. Any more GBA enhanced GBC games?

Actually, with the original DS, you could set it to automatically skip the menu and boot the game if there is a game in on power on.

Ah, it's been a good while since I had the old fat DS models. My Lite has that options screen when you first boot it up.

Pokemon Red and Blue

Disgusting.

What was the one Mario game called where it was more of a puzzle game. You had to move certain enemies into place and position temporary platforms and pull switches. It didn't seem like a Mario game at all and I haven't played it for many, many years so maybe it wasn't one at all.

Mario Vs Donkey Kong?

Y'know I never looked into that game because I honestly thought it was just the original Mario arcade game. Thanks user.

Don't make me get into the entire franchise that exists around that game, it's a mess because of how they decided to localize it.

I especially recommend Gargoyle's quest. Played it a few months ago and had a blast. Last two bosses are bullshit-tier, so be good with the save-states.

Probably. This was the 8 bit era still, games were still hard as balls and unforgiving by default.

Might be what Nintendo is going for with the retro NES thing. No online bullshit, no OS beyond a game select, no updates or patches, just plug and play.