Let's talk Stealth Games, Holla Forums

An user suggested me this game a week or so ago discussing OSTs. Controls are sometimes finnicky, but otherwise the game nails stealth dead-on; there is nothing quite like sneaking past every single guard and pickpocketing them and hiding underneath tables only to accidentally knock a chair over and alerting them to your presence. Guards aren't entirely braindead: If they realize something is going on they warn each other before going out to investigate so you can't just lure one, kill him, lure another and repeat. Also if you are spotted but escape they remain vigilant even after they drop the alarm - guards that take naps stay awake and hold their swords at ready to slash you as soon as you are detected again. Combat is utter shit in the sense that if you are against one guard one-on-one it is pathetically easy but if you get even one other soldier on your ass you are dead, but really if you are not going for no combat and full evasion then you are playing it wrong.

What other good stealth games are out there, Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

thedarkmod.com/main/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Styx is the only good pure stealth game to come out recently, i think they are making a sequel
Go back to the classic Thief if you want more right now

I started playing Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for the first time a few days ago and it's really good.

They're making a Styx 2, as well. Embed related.

Are you the guy who was going crazy over Gameaudiofactory in a Furi thread? Glad you liked it.

I think Invisible inc is a very interesting take on stealth. It's a turn based tactics game, but with a huge stealth focus.
You start off somewhere in the level with an objective, usually to hack or steal something, and there's a timer that increments by 1 every turn as well as extra increments if you trip alarms or kill guards or other security measures. Every five increments the security gets beefier and beefier and by alarm 4 you should probably cut your losses and run. You use the money you get from missions(looting vaults, pickpocketing guards and selling unneeded items) to upgrade your agents cybernetics so they move faster or loot more money from guards or get you more power from hacking or getting yourself new equipment like cybernetic attachments(basically perks) or equipment(tasers that can stun enemies for longer or pierce guard armor, cloaking rigs, mobile power generators, new hacks, etc).

Only problems are

1) it's a roguelite so you will see lots of repetition in levels and enemies but there are plenty of campaign options and replayability
2) financial suites are load of bullshit and are horribly designed
3) a few agents are really useless while a few agents are indisposable(Internationalle)

Also it's got a pretty neat dynamic music deal going for it.

I forgot there was a reboot of Thief; I didn't even bother looking into it to see what was so bad about it.

Shit, is there online co-op? I remember playing split-screen co-op with a friend on the Gamecube decades ago. I recall there was a trick for instantly knocking out guards by shooting them with your remote camera.

Invisible Inc. works well despite going Roguelite because of how short the campaign is; I don't like how the guards can spot you and run around like headless chickens while everyone else in the level is just going about business as usual, but man is it satisfying to co-ordinate a handful of agents to cover each other and tackle the levels.

Yes, it was me. Thanks user.

Styx was the game that made me realize i dont like stealth games. Every other stealth game i've ever played either had other problems that overshadowed everything else. Styx is the first stealth game i played where i actually had to play it stealthily, and made me realize, i dont want to do that. ever.

I never wanted a stealth game, i've always wanted a serial killer simulator.

hiding under a table isnt fun for me, unless im only hiding under there waiting for the perfect moment to pop out and brutalize someone.

I also cant let anyone live. I just cant. i have to kill everyone, i get a feeling of anxiety when im "beating" an area, and theres a bunch of enemies behind me that i havnt killed.

A true professional doesn't leave a mess. A true professional isn't even realized by the guards until the day after.

thedarkmod.com/main/

Good luck finding good levels for it though

Play Thief Gold and Thief 2.
Then weep that it was the pinacle of what the stealth gerne has to offer.
If you're in the right mood, try Thief 3, but only with the Gold-mod that merges the otherwise split up levels.

Never ever come close to Thi4f. I still scrub myself daily to get that fucking stench of me.

It raises an interesting question - so many stealth games encourage you to play full stealth and full pacifist there aren't bonuses to going genocidal. Imagine alongside "Ghosting" a level you could also earn an award for being the "Reaper" - going the entire level undetected BUT killing everyone in your path. It would work especially well in games that give you ten thousand tools to kill guards with but then penalizes you for killing people.

I have played Thief 1 and 2, but never Thief 3.

There are two games I have in mind that have that type of "predator" stealth you want, but both are complete shit.
Can you guess which two I'm talking about?

Only game that comes to my mind right now is Deux Ex, where moving quickly through the level silently killing everyone is a very efficient playstyle.

Tenchu? Dishonored?

Hint: They are at the moment the most recent two games in the same series.

no guard is ever alerted. they all vanish 1 by 1 until there were none. like a classic horror movie. the next day its shift change and the building is completely vacant. then they start finding murdered guards all over the place, no distress calls, no signs of struggles.

i believe strongly in hurting their numbers as well as their morale.

this is how i play every stealth game. and they always give me a shit rating, but i dont care. had fun. That would actually be an awesome game feature. I absolutely hate when games give you badass weapons, but discourage their use. "here, you get to hold this"

thats how i played deus ex. i murdered EVERYBODY. nobody ever knew it was me.

theres a bunch of games that allow for this that are decent. MGS, hitman, mark of the ninja, manhunt, splinter cell, rainbow 6, tenchu, dishonored… i mean, theyre not all great games, but i wouldnt call any of them COMPLETE shit.

mark of the ninja was actually my favorite, there was an actual mechanic that let you "stun" soldiers by terrifying them with their friends corpses by stringing them up and hanging them from the ceiling.

I'm playing Syphon Filter. This is good.

The only one that comes to mind is Hitman right now, but that is a wild guess and probably wrong. Or you are talking about Assassin's Creed.Fuck that shit.

I heard that one in passing, from what I heard it is sci-fi Splinter Cell?

The problem is with what mentality do you look at playing like that.

See, killing people is often the easy way of doing things. It may take some effort to kill them but in the end they become a problem you'll never have to deal with anymore (cadavers are another problem). If you kill a guard going in, he's not gonna see you going out, for instance.
The equivalent to picking locks would be just bashing the door. You get through just fine, you don't even have to worry about the lock on your way out but overall it's a lot less finesse than actually picking the lock.

The serious enthusiasts for stealth games much prefer to emulate a ghost in a very strict way. The point is not just "don't be caught", it's actually "don't give the idea that there was even anything or anyone going here". This is why they'll do things like putting keys back where they found them and keeping doors closed or opened according to how they found them. Once a Ghost leaves the building, you'd more likely assume his target was misplaced than stolen.

Personnaly, I enjoy both sides of it. It's pretty great to play like a predator and even more so when Fear is also a game element. That was the best part in Mark of the Ninja, scaring everyone shitless, throwing corpses in front of other people. Even in Deus Ex Human Revolution, disappearing inside ventilation shafts carrying someone else's body, or in Dishonored, tossing heads at someone.

But I can also apreciate the chalenge in not touching anyone at all and still accomplish your goal, not taking the easy route of cutting a few necks.
This is most likely not for everyone as it's a very voyeuristic experience, you mostly have fun watching the NPCs going about their business and at best you interact in indirect ways, like tossing shit to annoy or scare them.

It's Concviction and Blacklist

Only problem I had with Styx was that most levels felt more like a puzzle than a stealth game.
You could easily see the paths that the devs made for you and how they expected you to beat the game if you wanted to play in X manner.
This might be fun for some people but I much prefer levels that feel like actual locations and make sense on their own without looking like video game levels. That way it always feels rewarding when you find a path on your own since you can use common sense and knowledge of the area instead of pre-made paths being highlighted for you.

It was still a pretty good game, the verticality was amazing and the story was really great too especially the final twist. The gear you had was also a whole bunch of neat ideas that actually worked and where fairly balanced.

DO NOT SPEAK OF THE DEVIL IN THIS THREAD user

I had the opposite problem with mark of the ninja, you are noticeably penalized for ghosting levels, in that the secondary objectives almost always involve killing, so you can't be a completionist and ghost at the same time.

i can appreaciate it as well, but its just not fun for me. I feel like im running away from them like a scared little bitch.

its a mentality thing… me hiding under a table thinking "i hope i dont get caught" while sitting there for a long time isnt fun, and often makes me just impatient "can you go over there so i can move to the next area? im bored under here" but me stalking someone as i wait in the shadows waiting for a moment to pounce on him is different and somehow doesnt make my patience run out. the longer they keep me waiting, the more i want to kill them as payback for making me wait.

agreed, i had to let that go and just play it the way i wanted to early on to have fun. The way they want me to play it felt like a chore.

Ghosting the first level is just impossible, but I always had the no kill suit on me

syphon filter was the shiiiiiiit
hope we get a PS4 or PC release

my PSX is still sitting in a box. somebody sold most of my games… and i have only a few games left. FF8, FF7, tenchu, bushido blade 2, syphon filter, time crisis, and resident evil directors cut.

Secondary Objectives offer you a medal that unlocks a specific suit. Kill Objectives give you medals for a suit made for killing. It makes sense when you think like that.
If you want to 100% and do everything, of course you'll have to bust some nigs, but the game doesn't penalize you as much as it just doesn't give you the tools to kill more if you aren't killing at all.

Also, at the end of the level, if you killed no one you even get a score boost and everyone alive counts for points as if you killed them. It's pretty good since the idea is, you have to get past them no matter what method you use.

What? No. You don't "run away like a little bitch", you run and evade them because you're faster and smarter than them. You hide beneath a table thinking "look at these idiots, they'll never find me here" and laugh while they go shouting around the whole room. Then you pop out, throw a bottle at their head and hide again, laughing your ass off at their paranoia.
You're really missing on fine moments like making something explode in a nearby room to atract a shit load of guards there while you do your thing somewhere else or leave a trap in that room

I get you, user. Different tastes for different people. I enjoy keeping two save files - one where I go full stealth and one where I go "fuck it kill everything on sight". Dishonored is hardly a "stealth" game but I liked how different both playthroughs turned out at the endgame.

no
yes

i played farcry 2 and basically stealthily burned everyone alive in an open field while they had NO idea where i was, or if someone was even attacking them. "barrels keep exploding and the fire is now surrounding us and closing in. this sure is an unfortunate random series of events"

it took a long time to realize that i wasnt playing stealth, styx is what made me notice that i dont like stealth, because killing in styx isnt very satisfying, and its not an option very early on in the game.

i didnt like dishonoured.

I've got four games that do that well and are complete shit the Batman Arkham whatever games, they're too easy but you absolutely feel like a predator in the "stealth" sections

You can emulate the game with widescreen hacks now.
I think epsxe even allows cpu overclocking to prevent inbuilt slowdowns.

This doesn't mean you don't like stealth games, it means you like games that encourage PREDATORY stealth.

I think calling the entire genre "stealth" was a mistake.
There's two kind of stealth players, people that want to ghost past everything, and people that like predatory stealth.
Also, "predatory stealth" doesn't refer to lethal takedowns only, i'm including in it people that stealth with the purpose of taking down people non lethally as well.

Basically PURE stealth players sneak past everything.

PREDATORY stealth players want to sneak near enemies and either kill them, or take them down non lethally.

These two players play similiar games but their approach to the genre is completely different and even incompatibile with each other at times.
"stealth" as a genre cannot make these people coexist, they're just hitting each other elbows trying to sit at the same table, they've been arguing over what makes stealth games enjoyable for them since the dawn of time, this has to stop, people have to start realizing these are different audiences and need completey different games that cater to their specific needs, otherwise both of them will always be left unsatisfied by design decisions that pleases one, and alienates the other.

Besides Styx, I don't think there have been any recent stealth games. 2D shit doesn't count.
I just go back to the classics when I need a stealth fix. It's a dead genre.
Also, I will bully anyone in this thread who implies that Dishonored is a stealth game.

It is a stealth game, just a horrible one.

Dishonored is no more a stealth game than Skyrim is; just having optional sneaking isn't enough. Consider yourself bullied.

It's like you don't even read the fucking thread and just live in your own little world with no interest in discussion whatsoever.
Motherfuckers, i hope you get prostate cancer for the second time.

Pretty sure it has online co-op, yeah. I don't know how active the servers are but I imagine there Steam groups for its multiplayer or something.

Your distinction between "pure" and "predator" stealth is contrived. Killing from the shadows, and without initiating a fight, does not a new genre make. In both cases, you're avoiding combat. Also, I don't have prostate cancer yet.

Also, I would love to see a submarine-themed stealth game.

what are the essential thief mods for one and two?

lmao get a load of this cuck

Styx is literally the only fun stealth game in existence if you're not counting things like Dishonored.

Taffer.

There's nothing wrong with playing stealth games in "silent but deadly" mode. I enjoy doing that; I usually also hide every single body like an autist, because I enjoy imagining the weird, creepy feeling it would give the people who show up to work the next day–finding the place completely bare, but upon inspection, discovering that the place is filled with corpses.
I like ghosting too, though. It depends on my mood. The best stealth games let you do both.

I don't think Dishonored is bad. It's just not a stealth game. Your reading comprehension is shitty.
Anyway, it's more like a casualized steampunk Deus Ex.

Also,
Kill yourself.

I forgot about Hitman. That's another fun one.

Everything else you listed is garbage though.

Surely you must be only talking about the third and fourth games.

Chill out, bro.

All of them.

Sorry I don't like autistic camping simulators where by the time you finish the game, you will have spent several hours just sitting around and waiting.

Dude, chill.

SUCH SLANDER WILL NOT BE TOLERATED WHILE WE'RE ON WATCH. YOU'D BEST RUN AND RESCUE YOUR HELPLESS SHIT TASTE BEFORE YOU FLOUNDER IN YOUR OWN VOMIT. SCURRY OFF OR YOU'LL ACQUIRE SOME UNNECESSARY VENTILATION

Fuck I loved that game, only thing that pissed me off was that you immediatly alert all enemies in a 100m radius if you get spotted JUST 0.1 second before grabbing that guy

You've gone too far this time, you camel-mannered, tunic-wearing mollycoddle.

Well, what are they, user?

Chaos Theory is my favorite game ever.

Thanks for reminding me of Robin Hood
Torrented it just now

Hard-as-nails, real-time, squad-based stealth games. I thought everyone knew about them.

I haven't, but that sounds up my alley. Thanks.

Avoid Commandos 3 like the plague.

Wait you haven't even heard of commandos?
Oh shit nigger you're in for a treat.

I like you.
I much preferred sniping with my Dragunov best raifu ever and kept the flamethrower for close-quarters or the silenced pistol for tacticool shit.

You might want to try out AvP 2010. It's an alien versus predator game that come out in (guess the year) and features a campaign to play with all 3 races. Unlike AvP2, stealth is heavily favored both for Aliens and Predators however it's most likely the kind of stealth you'd like where you screech to scare people, jump over them and make some human kebab. Much boners where had. And the Predator is even better, you literally fuck shit up from start to end.

It's a voyeur thing. You're supposed to sit back all comfy like and appreciate the NPCs talking about cock rings. It's also for a more technical aproach where you gather all the information you can before you even make a move. It's basically stealth for relaxing.

I just got Splinter cell chaos theory, and I want to know is it better played with controller or kb+m?

I don't think it supports controllers.

well, dilemma swiftly resolved

I like this guy. He gets it.

Evolve was a pretty good stealth game, up until exactly 1 week ago

Holy fucking shit, what is this?!

Thief 2 is my favourite game of all time and I think Styx SoD has the potential to be even better if they don't fuck up.

I stumbled upon this a bit ago
I really didg the art style, has anyone here palyed it?
It looks pretty alright but I want to get your opinions on it before I grab it
I also don't know if its even stealth I am just assuming based off the trailer

I really enjoy Yandere Simulator as a STEALTH game

I had a lot of fun with Styx. Also helped that the game was half the price of other "stealth" games like the new Thief. Hopefully they fix the controls and some other annoyances with the new game (like with certain ledges not actually being things you can jump on to).

I didn't hate Thi4f.

Shit nigguh thanks for making me remember that.