Video Game settings that have nothing on the deep sea

Are these places ever scary?

First: you got the desert: whether it's mummies in the Sahara, satanic cults led by Frank Zappa lookalikes in the Chihuahua, or Camels in the Gobi: you will never come across anything scary there.

Second: we have the future, where everybody's quality of life is vastly improved! Oh no, anything but that!

Lastly, we have Antarctica. What, aren't you afraid that the penguins will swarm all over you and cuddle you to death? And, as an added bonus: it's also a desert but it has snow instead of sand and even less trees.

There's pretty much nothing on land that is scary because you can just use a gun to shoot it. Under the sea, however, you better hope you have torpedos because if your sub gets hit by a giant lobster: there's no escape pod in that bitch and it's going to be your coffin. The only way to die a quick death is to find a barely perceptible squirt of water coming from a leak because it's so heavily pressurized that touching it will slice your finger off but it will do just as good of a job at slicing your neck off quick and painlessly.

Other urls found in this thread:

scorn-game.com/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=709630328
trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I approve

no u, it's a level setting thread

What do I do, Holla Forums?

Learn to swim.

Your assignment is three good ice levels/worlds in games that aren't based around it.

Deserts will kick sea's ass every day. Fite me irl.

DESERT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SHIT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SEA

Desert settings always seem to have god-tier music, too

Sorry Kebab, but Deep Sea > desert. All the things you said (except mirages) and more can be applied to the ocean. Whats more, you don't have the unknown horrors of gigantic aquatic life in the desert. As well as being completely out of your element in the Ocean.

A huge element Spec Ops: The Line to convey that the desert could wipe out Dubai at any time.

The Drakengard universe.

JEW ALERT JEW ALERT

The Thing is an ok spooky game in the frigid cold. Especially the fact that all your partners you get will turn into things at certain points so you will most likely be alone most of the time

Go play cryostasis you meme loving fuck.

The abandoned MJ-12 base in Antarctica was the best thing about Invisible War.

And pussified to hell to the point that people no longer respond to crime and are underfoot of government.

A boot stomping on your face, foreva and eva.

It's not the increase of quality of life that people fear, because that's retarded.

It's that, in the future, that the possibility of living in hell on earth because of societal whims.

the scariest part is its already happening

I rate this thread 7.1/10

How do you deal with it being almost entirely flat and barren? Exploration seems like it would get really boring and repetitive. I feel like this would be a huge problem in deep sea settings but I've never played a deep sea game other than one student project that I worked on

There's a lot of different types of desert. You have the straight up saharian one that has only sand and maybe an oasis here and there. You have the Egyptian one which has ruins. You have the american one that has giant rock formations. You have the australian one that isn't as sandy as the saharian.

There's so many fucking options.

desert is the comfiest

is there a water level in a game that is ever fun?

What is the Nameless City.
What is the accursed plateau of Leng.

Even if I am 100% invulnerable, I am terrified in any underwater setting.
I have actually developed a fear of open water thanks to videogames and Holla Forums.

never ever

Serious Sam is kinda scary.

I fall for the traps…

gesundheit

Whether it's about robots being indistinguishable from humans or about humanity fucking it's resources away, the future is scary as shit.

Deserts get pretty fucking spooky when you throw in massive bugs that burrow and wait to eat your ass at a moments notice. As well as sandstorms being able to fuck up a city/camp/you just out of nowhere and whenever they feel like.

Not to mention djinns, and maybe the odd sphinx every now and again.

Don't forget The Thing.

In terms of scariynness

Dreamscapes/otherworldy pocket dimensions
Deep space
Deep sea

Jungles
Swamps

Forests/mountains
Deserts

Everything else

Disscuss

How the fuck does anyone play Subnautica? I mean, I hear spooky noises at 50ft, I'm too scared to actually progress

scorn-game.com/

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=709630328

Is this more creepy, or intriguing?

Bi-lal kaifa.
Dune game where I can be a Harkonnen rapist when

Spec Ops did the desert relatively well, but I agree, nothing beats the deep sea.

to bad we still don't have a deep sea horror game done right.

Well, that entirely depends. In crash 3 alone, they got significantly more threatening Desert and future levels.
It's doubly applicable if you consider the Egypt levels were built of the engine for the Arctic levels from crash 2.

What a shame they will inevitably casualized as fuck in the remakes. I can easily imagine them fucking up Totally Fly and Totally Bear and Bug Lite by illuminating the fuck out of them, and not doing what they did originally when gameshark and unload texture cheats were used to make the fumbling in the dark stage easier in crash one. Render literally fucking nothing if it isn't currently in the light only load collision geometry Fun fact this is why the frame rate is so good on those levels, it only actually renders the immediate geometry.

Sadly the style is a bit to cartoony for me to get spooked.

get inside a submarine

user, i live in the middle of a desert, it sucks.

it is Beksinski the game
not that that's a bad thing

Well of course it sucks. I wouldn't want to live in a post apocalypse wasteland, but it's a great setting for a game you dummy

Pussy. At least stay above 1500 meters. There's nothing down there.

I'd like a game set in a vast desert, with ruins scattered around.
There's Serious Sam but it's not serious enough.

leviathan please stop using a computer

I want to play that game badly but can't afford it. Due to it's nature of early access I wouldn't bother pirating it either at least until it's completed. How's it coming along?

It's going good.
trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap
Devs have an open roadmap so you can track their progress.

For what purpose?

Neat. It's 20 bucks as well so I may actually buy it when I get the chance. I wont complain when the early access game is actually decent and as advertised.

I think most games (and movies for that matter) go for Dystopia instead of Utopia

Are a Burger or are you an Abo

I was born in the desert