Games that blew your mind

Doesn't matter if you think the game is mediocre or just good now. What games, when you first played them, made you feel the most awestuck or absorbed or just plain blown away when you played them?

That feeling/feel is why we play games. Almost chasing that high again. Will we ever experience anything like it in the future? Maybe. I hope so.

For me, Ocarina of Time on the N64 was the game that made me think 'I cannot believe what I am experiencing right now'. I was 14 when it came out (yeah, 31 now was just 13 when that game came out) and played it at release. The game is still great on subsequent playthroughs, but the first time? Damn. It was magical. My first game, and I have played many, was TMNT on the NES, so I wasn't starved of games growing up. In fact, I fucking loved Super Mario world on the gameboy, which I got aged 5, but I didn't have the mental faculties at the time to be blown away like with OOT.

The reason I have hope I could experience this again is that the only other game that captured the sense of 'I am legitimately in a magically world right now' was Demon's Souls. While I now view it as inferior to Dark souls, the sheer overwhelming feeling of immersion I got when playing that game. I was 24 when I first played that game.

Admittedly when I was 24 I still had not had my soul crushed into dust by the corporate machine, but I am hopeful that I will taste greatness again.

What games are coming out that you think might revisit that sense of Christmas day wonder? What games do you feel represent the ones that made you most ecstatic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wzNGAK0wM0I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Never played one.

the only game I'm excited for is La-Mulana 2. Everything else can go hang.

Pathologic Classic HD. Its perhaps the most artistic game i have played. It had plot twists that just stunned me. It also birthed some philosophies that have changed my perspective on the world. Its also very challenging, which really dragged me into this zen-focus.

I also liked the KOTORs. I have distinct memories of playing them with siblings/cousins. It wasnt exactly this revolutionary euphoric feeling, but it was still memorable.

Bump, ive been looking for a thread of this caliber

ITT: Halo. Man that's a deep game. So deep. I played it when I was 9. I was like whoa.

Played the original Deus Ex a few years ago for the first time, expected a pretty enjoyable game but dated as fuck

I was so into it that I got scared, midway i realized no modern games I`ve played ever came closed to it

Also MGS3, the world kojima makes is so weird and alluring, plus the looks and gameplay were leagues above what I was used to

Majora's Mask. It was like OoT but with better graffix and sound design. The world was immersive with a cool artstyle and theme to it, the time mechanics were neat, and overall it just really surprised me at what could be done. Watching the world and the citizens evolve and go on their way over the course of three days was magical, and yet changing things with newfound powers made it feel like you were really changing something, not just completing a quest for a reward. The gameplay was fast and fluid thanks to that little RAM expansion I had to buy THANKS NINTENDO. OoT was cool but it was ultimately just a 2D Zelda made 3D. MM was artsy and different, it had a unique atmosphere I rarely see matched.

My second mind blowing game was probably Deus Ex. Not the most technologically impressive title but there was a lot of effort put into content you wouldn't necessarily see most of. People still play it and find all sorts of secret rooms and hidden crap they missed last playthrough, a lot of effort was put into rewarding exploration and thinking outside the box.

My third and probably last mind blowing game was Drakengard. It was just a thrill. A terrible game no doubt, but in its terribleness there was a certain special joy to be found, even after I had reached that jaded point where I thought I couldn't enjoy games anymore. It's a beautiful game, it feels like every little element came together in just the right way to toy with the player.

Played Thief 1 maybe 5 years back and some levels scared me shitless. It really showed me how fucking poor most modern horror games are and it isn't even supposed to be a horror game.

Half life 1 was probably the first fps I've played, at least on my own PC at home in 2003/04. I didn't speak English yet, so I only understood that I was a scientist and some experiment went wrong that opened a portal between earth and xen. Amazing game.

Play The Void if you want to lose your fear of death and the unknown

Ever 17, Coco's route
Remember 11, Satoru's route

Call the cops see if I care

Monster Hunter.

Pokémon GO

Lots of the puzzles in Professor Layton blew my mind(regardless of whether it was because of sheer cleverness or sheer bullshit) and made me change the way I think entirely.

There's also Vanquish that I started off playing kind of like a cover shooter, then I started experimenting with all the movement options and stumbled upon roll boosting and I was just mindblown at how you could miss out on so much fun by just playing a game the generic way.

undertale

I would say NieR, but it was kind of obvious that it was going to pull some shit being as it's in the same timeline as the Drakengard series, but it still blew my fucking mind at the time.

low effort shitposts, everyone else bothered to explain why it blew their 10 year old brain

Guild Wars. That atmosphere and art style, plus it was my first MMO so the scale was amazing to me. Shit, I thought the tutorial area was the entire game. And it just got better from there.

That feeling of wonder and adventure lasted me for months. Easily the best game I've ever played.

I never played something similar. The story is really good too

You're a lucky fuck to have played the best MMO first.

With the years I played them in.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (1993/2003) and SA: DX (2003) [I was a huge sonicfan]
999 (2010) and ZE as a whole.
MGS2 (2013) and MGS as a whole (was a huge MGS fan since 2013, didn't even think you can immerse yourself into something so much after turning fucking twenty). Although now, at 23, I feel like nothing will ever blow me away like that.

Notable mentions to other handeld titles, like Ghost Trick (2013), Ace Attorney (2007) and TWEWY (2007).

but user, we're talking about video games
:^)

Inside

MGS2. Played it at an age where I could just barely grasp the basic concepts and it had me in shock for days. Easily the most life-changing experience I've ever had, I don't want to even think where I'd be had I not played it when I did. Taught me a lot of shit about how humans behave, along with some extremely important rules about how you should live your life. I don't think I could say that about any other game. I think MGS2 is one of a few cases in which an artistic medium CAN teach us something. The best thing about it is that I learn something new with each of my yearly playthroughs of it. On a philosophical level, it's a game that is perfect for all ages.

Some points in the Xenogears story reveal some major plot twists and revelations that i never see coming which blow my mind harder than a angry muslim.

Shit gets so deep, crazy, and surreal in the story that i have to wonder what drugs the writers were taking.

Super Metroid.
I was already pretty jaded when I emulated it recently.
After playing pretty much every clone and remake I didn't expect this to feel so fresh.
Seeing how far ahead of it's time it must have been I finally understand why it is so highly rated.

Man, I know I have felt that way a few times, but thinking back on it, I can't recall the actual feeling of being awed. Dear Lord, is my anhedonia retroactive?

Considering what's happened to the gaming industry I doubt we'll see many more games like this.

What is Ar no Surge, even?

Zone of the enders 2. The way the game gives you perfect control of the mecha, it feels like not a single skill is missing, and then the game keeps handing out more and more toys (abilities) for you to play with. It really feels like you are in true control of this godlike-mecha.

It's a shame because although the second game has some of the best control/gamefeel, the first game had the better story/atmosphere IMO.

Japanese JRPG/VN hybrid from the Ar Tonelico series. PlayStation 3 and Vita.

It shows how you can write funny and interesting characters in videogames. Wish someone at Bioware would play it.

Is Xenogears one of those games that is good, but when you finish it you feel empty inside because you know the game didn't reach its potential? I've heard it was supposed to be an entire series but ended up being rushed into one game.

I've had a few.

When I played the fan-translated version of Dangan Ronpa I was blown away by how you could take a game like phoenix wright and then expand the gameplay to such a degree. It really goes above and beyond everything the phoenix wright games does.

Seconding this. Went through an existential crisis at fucking 8 years old.

Same. It actually freaked me out and I turned off the volume. I don't remember anything he said. It wasn't until I was in college and rediscovered the game that I listened to that part and was like "This is what is happening right fucking now".

gnosticism

Not even once.

Holy Mother of Christ, that HM art

Too many to count.
Latest would be PSO2 in 2013. It blew me away how free to play game can have higher production values, more content and tighter gameplay than most AAA games on the market. For the most part it holds true and today, except graphics are not on par anymore, but that is the smallest aspect.
I still play it from time to time.

I'd probably have to say S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: SHoC
It was the most immersed I had ever been in a game and it took my cowardly 12-year-old ass 9 days to gather the courage to actually enter x18.
It made me realize how much i prefer atmosphere in games over anything else.

The fourth wall breaking is what got to me when I was young along with how the game was written in a way that neither the AI, solidus, or raiden had truly "completely disagreeable" intentions. They all had equally correct objectives.

When I finally sat down with it years later and actually gave the game my undivided attention did I only realize that shit was just the tip of the iceberg, and that kojima predicted the future down to the almost exact details. Ironically enough, I also realized that my outlook on life and personal philosophy exactly mirrored the game's. If there was ever an objective required vidya list, MGS2 should always be at the top simply due to the important lessons it teaches.

Pic related is a recent example for me. Just about everything I love about video games is somewhere in this game.

There are other games like Deus Ex and Metroid Prime that have really impressed me in different ways too, but very few games leave me with the desire to immediately play through them again after I've finished the story like TW101 did.

Given all its references to Platinum's name, logo and other games they made, I think the devs felt really passionate about this game. It's a shame it didn't do so well commercially.

FF8 was developed concurrently with it, and as a result both games ran short on funding and had to be rushed out the door at the end of development.
So yes.

Holy fuck I was going to post that.

I was kinda meh at first because it was kicking my ass and I wasnt used to the controls.
Then I got to the first boss and everything changed, I couldnt get enough after that.

I had a really similar experience. I remember getting stuck on the Gah-Goojin fight in Operation 001 and not touching the game for about 2 months before going back to it and loving it.

The controls and the drawing mechanic initially put me off as well. I can't really think of a game like it, which I think is why I found it hard to get into at the start.

Inside.
The ending sequence blew me the fuck away.
I WISH MORE GAMES WERE JUST THE ENDING SEQUENCE
FUCK.

>tfw haven't played Deus Ex or MGS2 or any of them actually, because no PS2 and PCSX2 sucks cock

OP I'm with you about OOT. Shit felt magical.

KotOR II's challenging of the light/dark side of the force was pretty amazin too.

The Golden Sun games.

The music was legitimately almost perfect, the plot had good swerves, the characters were all interesting. The maps were huge, you could use powers in the field and in battle, and all of the puzzles were clever as fuck.

The world felt really fleshed out, and even the mega dungeons were fun. Story pacing was a perfect mix of plot and sideplot, and there were plenty of secrets an secret bosses.

One of my favorite series of all time.

if you've played it then you know exactly what I'm talking about.

user from earlier here. How can you even get a hold of that game? It has been eluding me for some time now. I can't find it though. Do you know where i can get a hold of it?

Not counting the ones i played as a young impressionable kid

Half Life 1, basically first actually good FPS i played and it still fucking holds out(2 is crap btw)

Max Payne games for being baddass and still making me feel

FEAR, thats game was just god tier in all aspects except the level design

Crysis 1, also near perfect game and with those graphics, it was just unreal

STALKER, i can replay that shit a billion times but the atmosphere just never fades away. I kinda hate the rpg shit that tampers if the gunplay and other stuff about it but the people that made it just managed to make the game that feels the most "alive" ever. I doubt it will be beaten at this anytime soon. Consoleshit is fucking souless compared to it.

For me it was Daggerfall. Got my first real IBM PC in October of 1996 and bought Daggerfall not too soon after, thanks to a review by PC Gamer (The magazine, not the website) selling me on it.

I was awestruck at how large and realistic (at the time) it was. Up until that point, my main RPGs were Ultima 6 on SNES, Might & Magic 3, and Dungeon Master. Playing Daggerfall and seeing all the guilds I could join, quests I could do, dungeons to explore and lewt to collect, it overwhelmed me. Took me 2 years to actually beat the game but I adored every moment.

I got the GOTY edition of Oblivion from a friend and after playing around with the main quest and fighters guild a bit I decided to do some sidequests. I was in bravil at the time so the starting quest for pic related was the closest one so I chose it. I was expecting a regular sidequest that would end up along the lines of "go to the island, investigate to find monster, kill monster" because I didn't know that it was the opening quest to a gigantic expansion pack. I think you can figure out from there how absolutely floored I was throughout the whole thing.

It felt a lot like Alice in Wonderland or the Chronicles of Narnia because I went into this weird world through a little insignificant quest and after spending tens of hours in there on an entirely different adventure from the rest of the game, I walked out back into the real world which was just as I left it.

yeah that fishing sure was fun

Chrono Trigger blew me away when I first played it, way back when it came out. Yeah, looking back it's just triggers and shit, but being able to do something in the past that changed something in the future was incredible to me, from a gameplay perspective. Leaving Robo four hundred years in the past so that he can devote centuries to cultivating a forest, and then picking him up in what, to me, was only two minutes, but for him was many many generations of human lives really made me think about the enormity of time and history. The whole game was like that.

I also felt like a genius opening up the pendant-sealed boxes in the latest time period possible, pulling the contents out of the timestream for my characters to use, and then going back in time era by era to keep opening the same boxes at earlier and earlier points in history.

GOG has a solid Deus Ex port.

Outside of Shivering Isles, Danganronpa was probably the most engrossing "video game" experience I've had. It doesn't all make much sense when you look back on it, but boy it was a wild ride and nothing else has made me nearly as constantly curious as to what will happen next in the story.

I think the gameplay was pretty shit though, and you couldn't impact the story at all.

The PC version of Deus Ex is the original, it's not a port, you fucking retard.

i was excited, but they changed the engine to Unity and it runs like shit now

I love how this game plays, but fuck, I hate the camera, and how sometimes shit doesn't work.

Like, when I am doing the part where you have to put the dudes in the arrow for the statue, sometimes 99 guys will go in, but the last guy won't and it won't complete. No matter where I aim it, they won't all go in and complete the build. Then I restart the mission, and they all go in first try.

I love how it plays, but shit like that really sours the enjoyment for me. I just want to be able to see what the fuck I'm doing, and have shit work without having to restart the mission.

It blew my mind in the sense of how retarded its player base are and its undeserving popularity.

It was removed from Steam due to licensing BS ( if you bought it it's still there )

You can get it from GOG still, for 10 bucks I think.

Killer7 and No More Heroes , mainly because of how surreal they are. Also DMC 3 and 4 for their complex combat systems.

Grandia.

The characters, the areas, the soundtrack. It just felt so good to play it. All those misadventures within the story made it feel like it lasted forever, but in a good way. I felt that I wouldn't mind if it lasted forever.
The story was simple, predictable even. But it had that something, that charm that made it so enjoyable and unforgettable. An adventure story more than well done in pretty much every aspect.
I should replay it. I'm getting nostalgic just by remembering.

Nothing within the past few years. I admit I was surprised by how good the story was for the Imperial Agent storyline for TORtanic. God, I wish they could have transplanted that story into a real game.

The camera's probably it's biggest flaw, yeah. It's incredibly awkward to control in those parts where you're inside a building and have to look at the gamepad's screen to see. That along with what is probably the least responsive pause button I've ever used and the finicky Unite Build bits you mentioned do hurt it considerably.

I also think it's pretty questionable that you have to buy the counter and dodge moves given that they're both practically essential, but given that they're by far the cheapest to buy I figure most will probably have guessed that.

In spite of these things though I still think TW101's among Platinum's best. I actually found it hard to go back to the first Bayonetta after playing TW101 and Bayo 2 so much recently. I got to Fortitudo on a new playthrough a few days ago and was shocked at both how fucking unbearable the framerate dips were and how much of that fight is just QTEs.

portal 2.
I wanted to reach out and grab wheatley.
He was just an idiot. He didn't deserve banishment.
It just left me genuinely speechless fora little but

Thunderforce 4 and sonic 3 blew my mind as a child, as I just didn't think video games were like that.

Ocarina of time definitely blew my mind with its story and immersion.

The only recent blowing of my mind was probably Guilty Gear xrd, since I had only really played street fighter and mortal kombat, and GGxrd just shocked me with its characters and game mechanics. Being enjoyable was also a surprise for recent times.

Oblivion. I was wishing for a first person RPG for the longest time and when I saw this I artistically explored the entire world for days straight. Was my first TES game which kinda fucked me over because I desperately did whatever I could to get it to run on a craptop at 5 fps when morrowind would have ran way better and had more to explore.

My nigga. Do you also like MUSHA?

I know this is going to sound really dumb, but the .hack series got me into a lot of the concepts I enjoy out of sci-fi today. (Emergent A.I./'Smart' systems for public utilities/virtual worlds as another plane of reality). A shame the franchise is in the undead purgatory that is mobage right now. And Aura was pretty cute, A.I.s make the best girls.

Of all of the places for the pieces to fall into place, a changing room was the last thing I expected. God fucking damn.

Halo has a pretty solid sci-fi universe, all things considered. It's not a terrible introductory FPS.

Hadn't had so much fun with vidya in I don't know how long.

This shit was so cash. One of few good modern vidya gaems. Easily in my top 10.

probably stalker shoc, played it when i was, i dont know 12 yo? i loved how you had to eat and drink, how radiation worked, the bolt, the fucking stalkers gathering around the campfires, that gunfight on the way to chernobyl, oh and the atmosphere, going through the labs almost made me shit my pants, i had never played anything like that before

I have many favorite video games, but there are VERY FEW games I have played in my life that I could consider a "religious experience"

Ocarina of Time was definitely one of them, another that comes to mind is Red Dead Redemption. The list is very small, but those two games in particular I am drawn too

I can't really say I have been acting autistic about any game, but the most impressed I have been was probably MGS2. Amazing story and gameplay.

hotline miami speaks for itself
teleglitch was as much a thrill and relief to finish
lethal league is 'git gud' and love seeing the top players going at it
ragnarok battle offline was pure fun and love
and harvest moon was my jumanji.

You are still a 12-year-old nigger.

Playing Banjo-Kazooie for the first time when I was a child

persona 4

I was quite religious when I was a teen.

it's never really clicked for me before that "Christ may not be real" is a mind-blowing revelation for some people, but it explains a lot

super mario 64

the scope of what we were allowed to do, the levels, the huge playfields that we were explicitly encouraged to explore and experiment with, everything was fantastic

Splatoon is my game of choice that blew me away

The colorful world and vibrant soundtrack. It also made me want to try new stuff. That came before it was just a sea of Mediocrity

Now I have the urge to try anything new this generation instead of just write it off as "Shit"

Thief 1 had some seriously fucking good atmosphere, and gameplay mechanics that somehow aren't standard issue in stealth games since then. Very, very few games even approach this level of mastery, let alone games with stealth.

I've always wondered how Deus Ex is the meme game and not Thief, considering Deus Ex is kind of ass. I guess Deus Ex is just the PC version of Final Fantasy 7 or Ocarina of Time and the nostalgia goggles haven't come off yet.

By the time I had played Guild Wars, I had already rolled a shit load of MMOs. Guild Wars was like a breath of fresh air: combat actually felt real instead of just trading numbers, the missions were awesome, and the world was amazing. But people couldn't get over the fact that the world was instanced and they got so butthurt over it. Sure enough GW2 is wide open and suddenly all the really interesting instanced missions vanished, and everyone hated it. Surprised? I'm not. Stupid fucks never know what they actually want from anything.

One of my favourite games ever. Also I mained Mesmer. Feel free to hate me if you ever pvp'd against good mesmers :D

My fucking nigga. I have no idea what it is about that damn game, but it hooked me bad. Have you played Stardew Valley yet? It is very good. You might also want to follow Slime Rancher: not much of a game there yet, but I like where it's going.

As for me, the first time I ever truly had my mind blown by a game was during the beta for the first Planetside. I logged in to see dropships, tank columns, and other shit all loading up around the spawn, dragging newbies who've never fired their guns before into an all-out war between thousands of people. We fought for hours over a damn bridge. It was amazing.

Planetside 2 is pretty fun, but it's not nearly as immersive, and it did nothing to fix the teamwork-related problems the first game, and really it made them worse. Why do 1-man fighters carry as much firepower as tanks? Why are tanks driven and gunned by 1 person? It made Planetside into Battlefield with all the good and bad that comes with that… and while I like Battlefield, I liked Planetside a lot more.

Ar Tonelico in general.

Nothing yet has ever beaten it for music to me.

A lot of songs distinguish themselves, Usually the variations of Singing Hill each game gives, Chronicle Key, Replekia, Metafallica, etc….

But for three game straight the world its set in has been a shitty existence for the characters, their lifelines always on the verge of crapping out from underneath them as the tech and artificial island at each tower just fail.

Then this cutey from the second game sings what I feel is all the pent up hope of fixing this literally goddamned world from the power of the tower in the first game.

youtube.com/watch?v=wzNGAK0wM0I

Planetary heart surgery never looked, or sound better.

Xenogears comes close, but it's more BGM music, Ar Tonelico has great BGM's and full blown epics.

the water graphics
up to a certain point the custom maps would continually surprise me with what they were capable of.
the developer impresses me as much as the game itself, sometimes im not sure if the creatures in that game should be considered alive or not, they must at least be as intelligent as a bug.
i didnt really have much experience with 3d graphics or games before then, just stunt race FX and starfox on the snes if that counts and dark forces, that old starwars fps.
coming from mario all stars + world to THAT was one of the coolest things ever. nothing ever felt quite like that again. maybe one of the crazier parts is how a game that seems like a tech demo is still pretty damn fun today.

obviously

You need to go back.

I must be some sort of masochist or some, but Ninja Gaiden Black blew me away with its high difficulty, demanding that you become adept at the defensive mechanics very quickly and the difficulty only rises further but, as you begin to dodge moves you couldn't dodge before and as you begin dispatching of foes that used to give you a hard time, the game throws something new at you, be it a boss or even a new basic enemy, keeping you on your toes when you thought yourself adept.

That never-ending feeling of triumphing over what you once thought of as impossible is just so good. Combine that with the fact that the game looks good visually and the fact that you can continue to chase that high in the higher difficulties, and you get bonus costumes to boot, and you get to play the Ninja Gaiden arcade game, it just blows me away with its polish and content.

WOW ar tonelico. i have never been so interested in a games setting. i get absorbed in just about everything. all of it, i was genuinely interested in each character, i wanted to see every damn bit of dialogue and information the game could give me, i can feel things from the songs that only music awakens in me. i was even playing 2 save files at once in ar tonelico 2 for when you have to choose one girl over the other because i didnt want to miss anything and i didnt mind the tedium because i just loved it so fucking much. i felt like complete shit for weeks when i heard about the crash at the final boss in ar tonelico 2. i all but forced myself to stop caring about it, and even though i hear theres a fix for it nowadays i cant summon up the willpower to play through it again these days.

This. I don't think anyone was expecting a game to be quite so immersive back in 1994. So immersive, so cohesive, so moving. I certainly wasn't prepared. I replay it every couple months and every now and then that credit sequence still gets to me.

Russian Roulette

I preferred the washing machine myself.

In terms of graphics, there's only 1 answer: FF7. If you were alive at that time and had been playing SNES/Generis games and older, then there is no way your jaw didn't just drop when you first saw commercials for FF7. That shit was just crazy. To all you underaged faggots the game looks like shit (and it aged like shit, no nostalgia goggles here), but when it came out, it became the definition of system seller.

For immersion, I'll go with Planescape: Torment. Talking with the zombie sign post, the undead village, the Sensorium, etc, etc. It was just incredible to me that a game's story could be better than most of the novels I had read up to that point in my life.

Last game that blew me away was Sengoku Rance. I stayed away because I thought it'd just be a dumb weeb game. I was wrong. I was completely blown away by how good everything about the game was,except maybe the graphics, which aren't anything spectacular. Gameplay, characters, story, story telling, music, replayability and difficulty blew me away. To me, it's right up there with HoMM3 on my top10 list.

In this line of exceeding expectations, SuperTuxKart blew me away last year. Was not expecting a game of this quality from the FOSS scene.

My story is pretty recent actually. Not so much mindblowing, but absorbing nonetheless. Don't laugh, but DB Xenoverse. I know it sounds silly, but hear me out. I felt like I was in a hole at the time. I hadn't been enjoying games much like I used to and during the last summer sale, I saw the price tag and got it since it had been on my wishlist for a while. I had heard horror stories about it, but figured the server problems should be gone by now. I got into it and was hooked shockingly quickly. I got deep into it and was farming quests and doing the story missions with glee. I was having fun for the first time in a long while. It isn't the best game ever by a long shot and I do see that it has a lot of bullshit that pisses me off, but I cannot deny it reminded me why I like games so much and helped me get out of my slump and have been enjoying games ever since. I might even get Xenoverse 2 on sale when ts been out for a while.

Stay away from the Christian Bible kids. It will fuck you up.

This fucking game right here.

I know it's a visual novel and the gameplay is just puzzle rooms with point and click. BUT holy shit this game blew me away with its story telling and characterization!

Every character felt real and not some shitty forced anime character. And that fucking story me man. I was not ready for the ending at all.

Game changed my life also

Yep NISA destroyed another great game with introducing a game breaking bug THAT WASN'T IN THE JAPANESE VERSION.

It's amazing how they do it. They don't even playtest their products.

I just beat this for the first time yesterday and was fucking breathtaking. The gameplay and the music are fucking awesome. It might just be my new favorite game.

Really? I looked at it a while ago and it seems like a mash up of Thief and Dark souls, with clunky controls and a 2 metre draw distance.

Is the gameplay that good? Can you describe in more detail?

Not really a game but the ending was pretty amazing

Greatest love story ever told.

Baldur's Gate 2. That was after playing DA:O.
I was honestly amazed of how even larger the whole world felt. How much more possibilities there was to do in BG2 than there is in DA:O, which felt like a poor man's LotR

I'm no reviewer or anything. I couldn't even describe color to a deaf man. But the gameplay is simple and basic. You're right, it is a little bit clunky, but it's satisfying as hell once you get a hang of the controls. Moving around with the grappling hook can be fun. It gets hard as balls later on in the game so be prepared and don't waste all your items early on in the game.
Now the OST is probably going up as my favorite game OST. Every single track is great, there are no bad tracks. The voice acting is about as good as The House of the Dead 2, so it has it's charm.
Go grab an ISO and an emulator and play it. It's not hard to get into and is fun as hell.

Im gonna be honest, the first game that I remember blowing my mind was Shadow of the Colossus.

It was pre-internet (to me), so I was trying to figure the monsters and tactics all by myself and stuff. And when fighting the giant bird, there was something that clicked, about "Holy shit, I'm running on the back of a flying rock monster" type deal.

I loved ZOE 1 and 2, but it never really clicked with me until I stopped seeing it as a mecha game, and understood its basically how every DBZ game should play.

The only game that made me cry but still not a game that blew my mind.
Great taste nonetheless.

Also this thread is seriously making me want to buy WiiU.

Cool. I have the eboot on a PSP from ages ago. Never got round to playing it but I will definitely now. Going to be doing some travelling soon so will play it then.

Which one?

It wasn't on "the final boss", though, but on an optional boss, so at least you could complete the game. But yeah, no excuses, specially for a game that took more than a year to be localized, and still had garbled Japanese text left in some parts.

It's a shame, because my only experience contacting Nisa was overall positive: a couple of years ago, one of my Nisa PS3 games broke (literally: the BR disk got a small crack on the center while I was playing it) and they sent me another sealed copy of it, despite I never providing them with a receipt nor being in America to begin with (so they internationally shipped a game for free; they could had just told me to suck it up, they had no legal obligation to send me another copy). When I became aware of their shoddy localizations and general fuckwittery, I was disapointed.

I can only hope that the other niche publishers don't fall to the same trap.

This. I was blown away mostly because it was the first game I played that wasn't linear (jRPGs don't count). It's not really amazing by modern standards but considering that it's a PS1 game, it's fucking awesome. The only other PS1 game that gave similar feelings was Metal Gear Solid.

On the PC, Morrowind with its huge open world and freedom to do whatever you want was quite mind blowing to me back in the day. In fact it placed the standards so high that all the open world fantasy games after it has been rather disappointing. Especially Oblivion and Skyrim. I was hoping for more freedoms yet I only got more restrictions. What a shame.

The one where Saya blooms, for me that one line at the very end by the doctor where she says she's not gonna look into the mirror just because she knows she mutated in to something horrible and how she's just accepted it, normally when you have these kind of apocalyptic things there's some sort of thing to fight like zombies or evil mutants
Honestly ever since reading that I haven't found anything nearly as good and I'm a little sad
I think the problem is that Saya no Uta had the perfect form of media for it kind of story, VNs meant that it had music and some visuals that just kinda gave a really uneasy feel to it.
But the BN industry just seems to be mostly filled with stuff that'll never come near it. That doesn't mean they're all bad just not as good to me

Honestly after i read it I tried to read Lovecraft stuff because I heard Saya no Uta was inspired by it but I didn't really get that kind of uneasiness with that I did in SnU.
Haven't tried Call of Cthulhu yet so maybe that'll be it

It's still being sold on GOG

It's also widely available on torrent sites and places like theisozone, I'm sure. Ice-Pick Lodge doesn't care about piracy.

Are you talking about the Call of Cthulu game? Because I have bad news if you're expecting good things at least after they give you guns.

Planescape Torment and Alpha Centauri.

Undertale did blow my mind as well, and I credit it to the soundtrack.

The demo itself was fun, and I know Holla Forums pretty much universally loved it back around 2009, 2010 or so, and it was nice to see it be completed and manage to retain the same charm, design, and feeling the demo had; a lot of indie shit games are rushed, unfinished, or changed drastically.

Remember all those template things about the perfect game? Shit like ">check behind the waterfall, it has a treasure chest"? It felt like the game had a ton of these tropes in it and it just felt genuine because of it, especially on the pacifist endings and towards the end of the game. The scale and tone kept changing and it felt really cool.

And as I mentioned, the music kept everything coherent and different characters/areas had certain melodies and motifs associated with them.

But yeah, it's really fucking disappointed what the game's community turned into. I was nice to play it a few times and discuss it with anons, but it's FNAF/MLP/Sonic tier autism on DA now. But just as well, we were pretty much done discussing it here a long time ago anyways.

lewd

Nah the book

FUCK TUMBLRTALE

Id like to start out by saying, that i think all you people who play tumblrtale suck a big fat goat dick.

now, to move on

I think TUMBLRCUCKS are pathetic. all they do is sit around with their big lips and collect welfare. and if they're not doing that, theyre robbing, raping, stealing, murdering, or in jail. So id like to give a big fuck you to all you tumblrites out there. By the way, im not really racist, i have a tumblrite NIGGER in my family tree. Hes been hanging there about 20 years (badumdum!)

Now on to SJWTALE cucks. they are like a mixture of tumblrcucks and bunnies. they also sit around and collect welfare, but they have a different method. They all reproduce at an amazing rate, and then the welfare collection moves on into the next generation. They really all should be lined up and shot, with their goy clothes and their nigger skeleton flags. And, like tumblrcucks, they go out robbing, raping, mugging, stealing, murdering, and end up in jail.

WHY ARE PEOPLE LIKE THIS ALLOWED IN Holla Forums?

Jews. Hitler was right. They are nothing but money grubbing little fucks. like that guy toby fox, look at him. He makes a pointless game, sells a million some copies, AND THAT ISNT ENOUGH. now he has to make a movie too. That movie is going to suck, just like him, and just like all his fans. Hes a self centered piece of shit, just like every other jew ive met. And whats this deal with jews whining about the holocaust?!?! they gotta make movies, books, whatever. Its all about money with them. they cant spend their own money and get on a public access channel and whine about it, no they gotta set up a holocaust memorial, bug that faggot jew steven spielberg to make a movie that sold out, and a bunch of other shit. fuck jews.

Undertalefags. Well, Undertalefags are their own category. It seems they just dont get it. WE DONT CARE THAT YOU LIKE TUMBLRTALE! GET OUT OF MY Holla Forums! I know if i had kids i wouldnt want em to be seein a bunch of cum guzzlin tumblrtales walkin down the street with their womanly manhood dangling around screamin we want tumblrtale discussion….

YOU HAVE TUMBLRTALE DISCUSSION! YOU HAVENT BEEN B& YET! YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY!

All they do is fuck like bunnies and spread the tumblrcuck virus. I hope they kill themselves off soon.

Tumblrtales are out to ruin the economy. Look at em with their piece of shit meme games. Why do they have to evade our economy? I mean, i dont see anything wrong with them sellin shit over here, but they practically SHOVE IT DOWN OUR THROATS! and YOU FUCKERS keep buying the shit. I say we send a couple more sage-bombs over there, take care of their tumblr asses.

Goat molesters make me sick, but they keep popping up! Whats this world coming to when these guys can peddle their goatkiddy porn over the internet! ITS SICK! All those goatkiddy porn fuckers should be castrated with plastic forks and burned at the stake.

Tumblrtales. God i fucking hate Tumblrtales. LEAVE ME ALONE! All they do is whine about how people are going to go to hell and try and convert people! GET A LIFE! god damn sexually dysfunctional little fucks! You should all be burned at the stake like you did to the pagans! I fucking hate you all!

i feel alot better after doing this. And im not going to hide behind a fake email address and name. email me, i dont give a fuck. all you losers are pathetic. go out and get a fucking life, quit sittin around masturbating to goats behind your computer screen you little scrawny fucks. Im so drunk right now i dont give a fuck if you fags fuckin email me. Hell, i'll give you my fucking fone number too while im at it, feel free to call me, or are you afraid to? afraid i might humiliate you over the phone? 717 867 1292, if its busy 717 867 1679, ask for FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE, i'll be waiting for all your calls.

oh, and one more thing.

FUCK YOU!

Holla Forums

Yeah, thats right you fucks, i hate you too.

Who is this penile paladin?

please tell me this is copypasta and you didn't just type this out for our "benefit"

In all honesty, Phantasy Star Online. It was the first game I played with an old friend of mine. He used to play it all the time and introduced me to it, taught me all the little tricks and everything. I played that game more than any other and shamelessly bought Universe, Zero and the PSP games. The areas are sanctioned off into small zones, sure, but I don't mind that. The music was great, the graphics blew my tiny mind, the weapons were the coolest shit to me then since I was way into sword and sorcery sci-fi. I played every other Phantasy Star alone but even though some were bad (or just didn't live up to hype) like PSU, they all still bring me back to that time I was 12 and beyond excited that I got a Mag that could Photon Blast.

Also they introduced me to CASTs and I don't think I've ever found another race in a game that I was so attracted to. Robot waifu/husbando takeover when?

Psycho Mantis battle. Blew my mind back then

it may be minor, but playing this after Sands of Time I was blown away
The Dahaka chasing you, then the other creature you constantly meet who is YOU and then the ending the real one, with the Dahaka boss fight
bretty gud stuff, the Prince havin been told that he cannot change his fate, then he's about to really give up and then he finds a means to change everything, or so he thought
and then Two Thrones sucked fucking donkey balls

nisa, the bringer of justice

The game medium I feel does the whole world a disservice, it needs to be made into an animated series.

It's world and music is too interesting to waste time on grinding mechanics, and subpar gameplay. I want lore, I want more story, setting, and character interactions.

Bayonetta 2. It's a good game to remind you that you haven't grown out of video games and you only lose passion because new ones suck.

PSO. Good memories. I used to eat my breakfasts, lunches, and dinners in front of that game and the keyboard. My entire life, from early 2001 to mid 2002 was on that game. I used to hang around with all the PSO World forum peeps. I got so damn good at that game that my RAcast switched to using that special scythe that drained HP because I honestly needed the challenge. Was very good with it too and people were shocked at how good my RAcast was in melee (I had a 190 defense spec'ed MAG for it too)

It was such an amazing thing too, because even though I played Diablo years earlier, it didn't have the magic PSO did. Those first few months of PSO were so different than Diablo. People were happy, helpful, and so skilled. Even the JP gamers were on our server and would play with us Americans. It was the best experience I ever had in an online game by far.

I think it's cause the game didn't have anything to be elitist about. It was all about community and fun. If you saw someone with a chain sawd or god forbid an agito then you were impressed. Maybe a little jealous but impressed, happy for the guy. And if you had a guy who'd roll a ranged HU or melee FO or whatever and they pulled it off, it was sick as fuck to watch. I remember when my friend dumped some weapon on me that I can't recall off hand because it turns out he'd wound up grabbing a God Hand and I was like "holy shit" and we played the damn game. I can't think of the last time, save PSO, where I got a great weapon for how I play and heard "that's awesome, lets go kill shit with it!" And not "well you just got lucky."

I should get into another Phantasy Star, fuck….

Asura's Wrath.

I have a thing for over the top dumb action. I love DBZ, I love Jojo, I love G Gundam, I love Gurren lagann, I love Toku and Kaiju movies, etc. For some background, Asura's wrath is essentially an interactive action anime. It's missions are named episodes, mid episode, there are commercial bumpers, and at the end of each episode, there's a narrated "next episode on" preview. It's also about 50% cutscenes or QTE's. So again, more of an interactive anime then a game; and what gameplay it does have is nothing special.

But what IS special is how fucking absurdly stupid it's action is and the sense of scale the game has. There are no words to really accurately convey how much of a wild fucking trip this game is, but off the top of my head, here's a good few examples:

The fact it has pretty great music, visual design (I read a series of 3 articles a while ago breaking down how every single part of the game is inspired by some super specific thing in Buddhist mythology), worldbuilding, voice acting, feels, and characters helps too. I didn't even play the damn game. I watched it on youtube, and it was the most fun I had with video games since I was like 10 despite the fact I wasn't even playing it.. It was as if I discovered DBZ for the first time again.

So, yeah, if you like over the top action, check it out, just temper your expectations that it's a better anime with interactive elements then it is a game. Or hell, just watch it all on youtube like I did for free if you aren't sure you'll like it, you get 70% of the experience that way anyways,

I just can't believe no one's post best song yet.

The because of the fuckhuge rooster, all the Giant characters, map destructionand all the different animations.

Bioshock. It really blew my mind that a game so mediocre with recicled mechanics from System shock 1 and 2 could receive so much praise.
And that really stupid twist, that don´t work if you think about it for five seconds.

A game that really blew my mind was the original Unreal Tournament back when it came out. There wasn´t any other shooter with more modes, interesting maps and possibilities like the mutators.

EYE see what you did there
my answer is EYE if that wasn't intentional though.

bioshock infinite :^)

basically just good games

whats a better video game medium to actually explore a world in? i like it, i like having input. sure the games could be better but i dont have a problem with them either.

fucking physics based metal slug
THAT FIRST FUCKING BOSS FIGHT

The pikmin water graphics fucking blew my mind when I played them. Jesus fuck that game looked great for a gamecube game.

But it's no "AND NOW I SING THE SONG THAT ENDS THE WORLD! but after seeing its beauty I will destroy all who would defile it! " tier.

All songwaifus are best girls

Daggerfall and Morrowind and Fallout3.

Daggerfall was just too huge and awesome and I was scared at times in dungeons, most of that carried over with Morrowind with the improved graphics and still fairly open-ended system I was in love. (4 and 5 did not carry this vibe at all)

Fallout 3 was my first sci-fi-alternate reality game and dam if I did not play it to death. I like the others 1-2-nv-4, but only Fallout 3 made me orgasm.

Assassin's creed and Mass Effect made me feel hope.

They were the first games I played on xbox 360, they were so big, with such huge environments filled with hundreds of NPCs.

I remember feeling hope in my heart at that time, that videogames were getting better. That one day every video game would be a unique and amazing experience unto itself, filled with hundreds of memorable characters and secrets, kept fresh with interesting and engaging gameplay, and presented with stunning graphics.

Of course, I was wrong. It wasn't the start of the golden age of videogames, it was the peak before the sharp downward plunge.

Assassin's creed, that I loved for its originality, spewed out sequel after stale sequel. And Mass Effect suffered from the biggest drop in quality I have every experienced across its trilogy.

These two series raised my hopes for the future before mercilessly slapping them back down, grinding them into the dirt, and spitting on them. I think that they have shaped the person I am today.

Do you need to play MGS1 before MGS2?

Also I've seen the ending to MGS2 already and it was mind blowing, did I spoil it for myself? Is it still worth playing the rest?

Ar Tonelico is why I have any music to listen to

Akiko Shikata is the best

Akiko is top shelf.

When Mass Effect said it wanted the Call of Duty audience I didn't have to buy 3 to know it was shit

I was surprised that people bitched about the story the most, though

And AC was a fun ride and 2 was ok, but they seem to want to run it into the ground and add tons of retarded bullshit to it when the game should be a fucking medieval Hitman

I could say that you are greatly exaggerating, and neither of the games truly have a huge populated world, instead Creed having dozens of fake npcs and Effect having copy-pasted bases + empty, lifeless planets, but instead I'm going to say:
Play witcher 3. It may be barely a game (and more of a movie) but huge world and interesting npcs it sure does have.

Recently playing Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion, going with TEC rebels - basically they're the humans that don't want everyone to get along, they want revenge on all the other species for all the shit in the game backstory.

Defeating an opponent in other strategy games like C&C, Warcraft, Starcraft even, fantasy games… until the last stage it doesn't mean much to wipe someone off the map because you know that there's another base just off screen where they'll pull together and try again. There's always more orks and they'll build another army for the next stage.

Sins the last few games felt different. The standard TEC is a unification of the human empire to put aside the differences (and business) to unite and fight war. The rebel TEC are that little more fun in that they've been keeping score and want the others to burn, but I setup a planet and start putting points into the non-war tech asap, specifically diplomacy.

If you don't know the game, most maps have 'pirate' factions which are basically TEC units that have a pirate-base planet and continually spawn and raid players as the game progresses. The TEC rebels are different in that one upgrade puts a game-wide cease fire with the pirates, so now they'll never raid you again and only raid other players.

Now this is bigger for me, because I'm not just the second side of the human coin, my cause is powerful enough that I'm uniting the 'untamable' humans under my banner - my cause is just, the one true path where humanity pulls together and wins this. With the pirates harassing the other players I'm free to take the plum worlds and setup chokepoints, and amass a stupidly large fleet.

And then the game enters the last legs. I move system to system and systemically eradicate the other 2 species off the game. I torch the planets and put more humans. Their starbases turn to rubble, their capital ships splinter. There's moments mid-fight where you can see the CPU turn tail - steering the ships like ocean liners trying to make it to the FTL area but it's too late, the smaller ships keep the shields from recharging and the kodiaks just hunt them down.

The coloured lines between the planets recede back as mine push forward, I'm not just wiping out a species… it's specifically telling my I'm wiping out their culture as well.

All humanity is under my banner, me exiting the game isn't just ending, it's the war-torn commander putting aside leadership now that we're all united and letting peace finally ring out.

why cant these games come out for the Wii U? I

I saw it several times, word for word.

Nothing special to listen to, if you are a dedicated weeb already.

What's wrong with KotOR 2? With TSLRCM, of course.

Hope you haven't forgotten about me

If you've never played it the whole way through, then you have never really been on Kojima's Wild Ride. It's a masterpiece. You owe it to yourself.

The original Ghost Recon. Not having health kits or a health bar, having to actually PLAN what you're going to do, and feeling a sense of loss when you lost one of your veteran guys really left an impact on me. Fuck every Ghost Recon since then, too. They've completely mutilated my favorite game series.

is it as crazy as 7th Saga? It looks like almost the exact same game.