HD Texture Packs

How do you feel about HD texture packs and playing games with them instead of with the original textures?
I prefer that the textures are as accurate to the original textures as possible and get pissed when a texture pack that seems promising goes and throws it all away by adding more things to the original textures that are unnecessary or replace the design with something else.

Other urls found in this thread:

segaretro.org/Windows_CE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

WHY DID THEY HAVE TO REDESIGN THE CHARACTERS?????

From the fourth pic

Not an excuse. If Rosalina was somehow present in more games than Peach, what you replace her with Paper Rosalina?
Lumas are just floating stars with eyes and a slightly plush look.
Texture pack producer confirmed for being a twink himself.

Usually they are shit.
But sometimes they aren't.

Because Nintendo is insecure about the graphics of N64 originals, and it showed with how they redesigned Super Mario 64.

This is a texture pack that guts the game's unique and memorable visual style and replaces it with a generic copy of the post-TTYD games' style. Cancer begets more cancer.

They look nice, but they completely changed the characters, so it doesn't work for me. :/

they could've just turned the past ones into non jaggy vectors but no

I'd use it if it looked good but it doesn't so whatever

Christ, what a faggot. The luma looks completely out of place no matter what excuse you to have give. All of his other redesigns are shit too, completely pointless.

Also, looking more into the actual designs of those three characters it begs a few questions. Why does Russ T. no longer have the classic Toad vest, and what happened to the red thing sticking off him? Why the fuck would the entire color scheme for Chuck change, and why would his hat suddenly have eyes? Hell, where's that little thing hanging down from his hat anyhow?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This OP designed to anger me.
I will not let this anger me.
I will not let this anger me.
I will not ==AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==

This is what passes for funny with GDQ now? How long before a voice like that is declared offensive to toddlers that may be watching, maybe next year? Also, goddamn, I never expected GigaDB to be such an ugly fuck. He always had a pretty cute voice when I used to watch him.

I'm sorta out of the loop with emulator news, so
what the fuck is this texture pack/what emulator is it for? I doubt project 64 is at all able to play paper mario accurately let alone support HD texture packs.

how about fucking googling the giant name in the top left of the images before asking next time

Project 64 could run Paper Mario with texture pack support five years ago. Dunno if any regressions hit that game or not but now it can't even run Turok without audio issues and fatal memory crashes.

i stopped following project 64 after the devs became total cunts who put malware in their installers and made that version that bluescreened the fuck out of everyone's PC's.

Nigga paper mario has been playable in that emulator since 2001

Miyamoto actually felt inadequate after seeing Crash Bandicoot, so this may actually be true.

pic related

Son of a fucking bitch that Toad is less detailed than the Paper Mario 64 one, 64's Toad's arms are moved around to accommodate the book instead of having the splayed-out-arms and a book tucked under one arm, glasses cover his eyes instead of being small and perched enough you can see some of his eyes, book is missing the red thing I assume is a bookmark, mushroom colors reversed for no real reason in particular

New one's legitimately shittier on a characterization front, it's actually more generic than the one he claims he's improving

It's amazing how damn good these Crash Bandicoot games still look.

ayy

why was sony so cool once

I played through quake one on release and loved it. I replayed half of it recently before starting again with an HD texture/lighting mod, and I prefer the texture mod because it looks better.

The design or aesthetics haven't changed, which is key.

This makes me wonder, why don't you goys make your own "HD" texture pack? If nep nep autists can do it then surely mariotards can too

At least I have a new image in my smug folder

Reminder that op is a faggot and author promised to make "retro" themed version of the hd texture pack without redesigns.

Fuck, image somehow didn't attached. Fucking kikes did this.

Oh wait, forget what i said. Op isn't a faggot. The creator of this texture pack is a faggot and part of the LGBT group

It depends, some older games are innately ugly even if you uprezed it accurately, some games looked really good for their time Paper Mario however is one of them, and the people who re did those graphics are suck, but good job for redoing a classic games visuals.

That redesign was to take advantage of newer graphical techniques. If I recall correctly skinning models was computationally complex so people instead used morph target animation, and because Mario in Super Mario 64 was dynamically animated and would blend between many multiple animations at any given time he couldn't work with morph target animation techinques. it became cheaper to animate skinned models with armatures so it would have been stupid of Nintendo to not take advantage of this with a remake of Super Mario 64.

Mario's model in Super Mario 64 is 1100 polygons, Wario in DS is 429, Crash in Bandicoot is 1700.

I read that as self important mirror.

That and the OP isn't as infuriating as the fact that there is gotta be that one person who is going to defend this shit.

That was back when Krazy Ken was calling the shots. He was basically the Peter Molyneux of hardware, but sometimes it actually lived up to the hype.

I bought a launch PS3 for BC and Linux support. I don't regret it, and love watching videos of the Cell doing real time ray tracing in crippled software-only OtherOS.

Literally sweden

The Xbox was considered the Dreamcast 2 for taking in a lot of Sega franchises and basically anyone willing to make games for it. Naturally, that all went out the fuckin window with the 360.

Console publishers will play nice when they're desperate for games to sell their console, once they've got steady franchises then suddenly it's fuck you, make my game or leave money on the table. (Naturally this can backfire, as Microsoft found out)

The Microsoft/Sega relationship was always shady as fuck to me.

Switzerland is different from Sweden.

Its a lot more conservative for one.

to be fair, i'm pretty sure peasly was flirting with luigi

was supposed to reply to

It's because of the summer, right?

It sure was a shady deal, things are always shady with Microsoft. Everyone knowns you can't deal with them and not get fucked in the end. But it is false that "only seven programs" used Windows CE, it seems at least 56 titles used it.

segaretro.org/Windows_CE

So wait you're saying Microsoft did good

reddit, you're not fitting in very well.

Maybe it was good old pic related at play?

It looks like generic round shit now.

Accuracy is key. I enjoyed replaying FF7 on the PC with the HD textures pack. I thought my nostalgia would force me not to use them but I soon abandoned that thought. Thankfully I found the non Advent Children outfits. I don't know who would want to use those, especially the non-midriff Tifa and whoever thought Barret's triple minigun wasn't obnoxious and didn't immediately steal your attention when it was on screen.

Also to pirate friends out there, you must download the PSX soundtrack as the one available doesn't contain the update that got rid of the awful MIDI tracks. Replacing them is easy so it's hardly an issue.

Except hackers took advantage of Sega's barely used Mil-CD format to do exactly that.

I generally think HD textures are a good thing, as long as the source material isnt compromised like the fucking turbo faggot thats present in the OP. Dolphin a surprisingly good amount of HD textures available, for example Tales lf Symphonia has one for the HUD and menu which make the game look much better (especially if youre upscaling it). Same goes for Xenoblade Chronicles.

its an insult to the base game even if the goal was to be faithful and remake the original textures. Don't even bother. You will miss details that were intentionally put in place by the developers and you do not "know better."

sega sought out microsoft support.
disc format was what brought this about you moron
dreamcast wasn't an appealing platform to ea which had first party competing sports games so the environment was naturally unappealing to them (surprise surprise - look what happened with nintendo)
ps2 was much more influential for this, MS was taking pretty much anyone at the time for software and hardware support
Xbox was first publicly mentioned in 1999 shortly after the dreamcast was released in NA
they favored each other because Microsoft had a largely hands off support policy and Sega had tons of half finished games and they could easily dish in Xbox/DX support. Games benefited in the end and as a result we got the best versions of these games in the public.
boohoo get a fucking xbox they're like 20 bucks from a yard sale
fucking source you historical revisionist faggot

That winky face and tumblr aesthetic confirms this guy for being a complete SanFagcisco sodomite.

Just look at his hipster logo.

None of you faggots even know the pain of playing Everquest.

If you're going to retexture, you make it as autismally accurate to the original texture as possible and basically just improve its resolution. That's doing god's work.

Adding your own artistic flair or style to the retexture is what cancerous artfags do. Artfags in general need to be beaten and dragged behind speeding cars, but when they do shit like this it's somehow 10x worse than their mere existence.

I'm waiting for someone to make a Paper Mario texture hack that replaces every single unique Toad with a bland Toad, and every enemy that's unique with enemies from only Mario 3 and under.

A step in the right direction but the leveling, and RPG mechanics in the retro paper marios is too hard. Fix that, and it might become playable.