"Culturalization" of video games

trans.uma.es/pdf/Trans_15/19-28.pdf

Xenoblade Chronicles X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions' outfits being "censored", Fire Emblem Fates' dialogue tampered to the extreme in its Western release, Bravely Second's artbook, characters' outfits and endings being taken away due to feminist and social justice outrage? Perhaps this paper by "Kate" Edwards(Current president of IGDA) will shed light on how it's a deliberate plan to screw these "problematic" Japanese video games to dumb down the audiences' intelligence. Read it to know your enemy's mindset.

Other urls found in this thread:

loekalization.com/mistakes.html
loekalization.com/projectfromhell.html
loekalization.com/translation-agency.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ENwFAmeWEYk
youtube.com/watch?v=lsz5ijRQvUY
youtube.com/watch?v=nXzGj540NPs
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

aka censored/moderated

so, self-censorship

It's not censorship. It's product tampering.

I don't have a slowpoke image to post.
I'll get one, one day.

I see what you did there

Is like we are back in the victorian age

Fuck off gook.

This.

We might as well say that "localizing" foreign products ruins the idea of respecting other cultures but it's not like any of their beliefs are real anyway.

Wasn't this "culturization" the same shit that was used as reasoning for why the DS Dragon Quest games needed shitty text only accents that render them difficult to read?

Yes, it was exactly that, followed by 99% of online forum threads and posts about the game being, "what the fuck am i reading?".

any specific culture — whether Latino or Arab
or whatever — as a combined set of “content
assets” that clearly define the look, feel, sound,
taste and general nature of the culture

I also read Xenoblade as Xenophobe Chronicles X.

Half of them play to SJWs to they can oust Japan from the western market.

The other half are actual koolaid drinkers.

That's like me walking into a French foodstore to buy Selles-sur-Cher and all I get to see is Cheddar and American cheeses.

Bingo

only recently learned where that saying comes from

Everone in xenoblade x outside if the main dialog talks like they are speaking on the internet or twitter. This clearly is the only form of consumed literature.
Oh and they use caps when a character is screaming. This game will be legendary for bad translations.
Hell a lot will that came out in the past 2-3 years

I just want to ask one question, it will sound retarded, because Im a fucking retard
Why arent people, that give a fuck about videogames, make a damn paper about how retarded translation localization of nonenglish vidya was/is/going to be?
why arent people, that give a fuck about videogames, make a damn paper about how faggots, thanks to the fucking internet, are noticing how retarded the localization are?
WHY?!
I mean, there is a lot of material and proof out there about the subject.
Hell even galgun needed to make more units, you can ask them for info and i bet they will gladly give it to you.
If those SJW are pushing their papers/research/articles full of bullshit, why arent other people from the other side doing the same, but with real numbers/information?
WHY!?
if no one is going to make it, Im so fucking mad i will do it
because i will a long side another research paper im suppose to be doing right now, but im shitposting in this hellhole

>. . . Alexander (2013b), both games journalism veterans, . . .

If that's referencing Leigh Alexander, she has no fucking official journalism qualifications. She's a goddam blogger.

There trying to make this talent less people sound better than they actually are.

I'm going to learn nipponese now.
It takes ten years to learn, right?

Six months actually.

That quick?

I guess it's worth the investment.

More like highschool essay, you clearly have no idea how contemporary academia operates. Don't tell me But I'm studying science!, it's not any different.

Everyone worth a damn at paper reviews is working on their own shit "more important than video game".

However- pointing out flaws in an argument is easy.

I'm willing to bet most of you are educated to the point we can write an essay or paper- and that you were pretty good at it.

Pics related even though it's talking about DiGRA.

Debunk shit papers with your own research and paper.

I have one question, do they get pissed off if people actually told them that they learned a whole language just so they can escape their bullshit localization?

I think learning moonrunes must be way more widespread before it starts worrying them.

Careful that you don't end up working in a field where the language could be useful.

You could end up stuck in a job you hate, dealing with a people that hate you.

That's mostly Chinese/Russian/Arabic, and Russian only if you're a teetotaller.

Fuck that noise.

Learning more languages be them dead or not is always a win-win situation for me.

I'm aware of the stories involved with those languages.

My cross to bear is German. I don't hate them, but a great number of them have come to hate me because of the negotiation in the automotive industry work I do. The people over me encourage a "go-getter" attitude, which really means "make eye contact as you cut their throat or we have to fire twenty people, starting with the people who have pregnant wives."

I would kill to deal with people that deserve the gouging I dish out.

What do you mean by make a paper? You mean publish a media article? How new are you? The media is entirely owned by Jews. Virtually 100% of it.

The only way to publish the majoritys opinion is to take the media back from them, but that's only doable by rounding them all up and exiling them or whatever.

>negotiation in the automotive industry
Man, in that business you're fucked no matter the culture/langauge/contry/ethnicity you're dealing with. it's pretty much in the top 3 of cut-throat industries.

Few understand the real depth of it, though.

My company alone has shut down factories by undercutting and making increasingly petty demands. One kept sending us substandard product, and so, we told them we were requiring a third-party inspector to check things out as they were leaving the line for a month. In addition, they were going to pay for it, or we were going to invoke the "failure to meet standards" clause of the contract and dry-rape them in court.

They agreed, and then were horrified by the fact that a single inspector was going to cost eighty dollars an hour.

Their company crashed later that year, unable to keep afloat after finishing their contract with us.

The fucked part is that I started as a mere coffee-jockey, and got snatched for the job I hold now because someone found out that I'd learned the language from a grandparent.

because the people who oppose you control academia.

I'm a NEET with autism, no worries.

Didn't the same thing happen with Zelda Ocarina of Time's Fire Temple music? The original music, along with a few textures on various objects, got removed and replaced by a shittier version because some sandniggers somewhere got pissed off about it? Was Nintendo prompted to do this as a result of legal threats lobbied against them, or was it self censorship? Either way, fuck the dipshits who couldn't leave things be. We have a much shittier version of the song now thanks to you, and the symbol they used to replace the Cresent Moon and Star symbol is shittier, too.

I honestly don't get the point of learning an obscure language just to play some vidya. It's fucking retarded.

the (((official))) response for that was that they were informed sandniggers could potentially be offended, not that any actually were.

The new one actually looks better, but I agree that changing over a potential kneejerk reaction is just dumb

Its not just obscure, its obsolete as well. You shouldn't have to learn thousands of symbols for only a handful of sounds.

Why should we care about them, then? If they took the time to understand why any given piece of content is being used, then surely a majority of them will be able to see how innocuous its usage is within the context of the game. Is this shit really suggesting that game creators and localization teams need to spend time, money and energy on sterilizing a game's content just so they might skirt a potential outrage? Sounds like a whole lot of effort to go through for nothing because people can make up reasons for being offended.

This whole "we do not wish to control content but create context" thing sounds a whole lot like The Patriots AI's influence is finally beginning to take effect.

Holy shit this is scary. Kojima predicted this exactly.

you know MGS2 was based off of things that were already happening, right?

Be he predicted it this specifically.

One thing to remember is that this is not a new thing for gaming, Censorship has been an issue with games for the whole life-cycle of the medium, it has only changed its nature now.

For gaming to truly grow, that censorship has to be cleared. Those saying they're "changing the games for the better" are nothing more than a hindrance to gaming.

Looks like we're in for a huge culture war. This could be world war 3: not fought with bullets, but with words.

It's like you are willing to get cucked out of content.

ftfy

We're having an awesome discussion so far, but this thread is almost buried, time to bump it back up.

What's worse is that thanks to Pokemon Go, Nintendo now has more power and influence than ever before and can keep on doing this without repercussions. Way to go Holla Forums you limp-wristed cunts.

Back to >>>Holla Forums and the dozen threads about the Illuminati plot that is Pokemon Go.

Does anyone know how to prevent Jews from shape shifting? I fear they're trying to infiltrate my home and steal my waifu

Then have a bump ol chap old bean pip pip.
With 'friends' like IGDA, who needs enemas.

more like nintendo does away with consoles after NX and treehouse finally falls off the branch they're sitting on that they were working on so hard to cut off from the tree

They care because it gives them control.
Even though countless studies have shown "media doesn't influence people to do bad things" they believe it does, and so they think they have to control the media, and do everything they can to restrict what you see.

Didn't Sega advertise "Sega Does what Nintendon't" partly because of the bullshit with Mortal Kombat, and that worked well?

Seemingly, people don't like censorship, but nobody is there to offer an effective market alternative, especially not these days. Localization companies have monopolies on the games they localize, so if they do dumb shit, it happens for all versions across platforms.

That doesn't even get into the issues with bad in-house localizations, like we deal with from Nintendo. There's no recourse for that.

intl confirmed. Reported for shill.

Literally not one thread like that

Localization is ultimately a job reserved for the friends of useless consultants and focus group testing on those to give the impression that the company requires more of a group of the same like minded individual outside of the actual demograph that regularily purchases your product usually to the end goal of attempted indoctrination of the already existing consumerbase which very rarely actually ever sticks and likewise more often than not leads to the infestation eventually cannibalizing the host before attempting to disguise it's existence and move onto another host that it can hive in and attempt to infest others as hosts to spread it like a disease, with the only unfortunate part being that the moment that the infestation ever oversteps its boundaries it inevitably implodes in on itself causing it's own demise as either the host realizes the infestation is not mutually beneficial or the host is redused to a husk that can't sustain the infestation to propagate it fnding a new host for itself.

i ain't clicking that shit nigger. re-post it on mixtape.

Not only that but they are now in part accountable to Niantic which used to be part of Google.

The more I look into the subject, the more I believe sjw/feminuts aren't the only ones to blame for these cases of censorship.

I mean, who says that the kind of people who complain about this weather girl's clothes wouldn't complain for content in video games as well?

leld. that really happen live?

and ofc it's the femshits and sjwtards. it isn't men doing the bitching.

why does everything have to be political these days?
why does everyone take fiction so seriously?
why are we moving towards more and more draconian censorship? i always thought the internet would make us more accepting of others, more free, more creative.
20 years ago we were all laughing at the whiny "politically correct" babies, how did they get all this power?

Oh user, haven't you figured it out yet? Control through context is the heart of Propoganda.

“Good propaganda does not need to lie, indeed it may not lie. It has no reason to fear the truth. It is a mistake to believe that people cannot take the truth. They can. It is only a matter of presenting the truth to people in a way that they will be able to understand.” - Joseph Goebbels

loekalization.com/mistakes.html
loekalization.com/projectfromhell.html
loekalization.com/translation-agency.html

These are some interesting reads.

Speaking of FE:Fates, these are two translations of one of the OST in the game.
Official translation:
youtube.com/watch?v=ENwFAmeWEYk
Fan translation:
youtube.com/watch?v=lsz5ijRQvUY
Original:
youtube.com/watch?v=nXzGj540NPs

PDF related talks about a little hiccup as a result of relay translation.

run far far away from any person who says this. do not look back. run.

double post

Nah, they were clearly conservative, puritan types, just watch this video from minute 0:35 to 1:30.

what

Fun-fact: in Halo 2 characters from one of the major alien-species were supposed to have names, but Microsoft thought that they sounded too much like islamic names so they just started referring to them with military titles instead. Oddly enough, they did use the names outside the games themselves.

The earlier days were all about censoring and changing context of their games to make them more "family-friendly" or to dumb down games (remember the shocking discovery that Irate Game made, that SMB 2 was actually changed for its Western release to Doki-Doki Picnic? Breakfast is ruined!). The only thing that changed were the groups doing the pressure: in the older days, it was soccer moms and their "wouldn't you think of teh childrenzzzz?" organizations for the good of God, country, and family (the nightmare that it were the Reagan Years) . Nowdays, the polarity has shifted and it's the feminist pressure groups and their cultural Marxist associates, manipulating the hordes of rainbow-collored Tumblrtard and nu-males in general (the nightmare that are the Obama Years).

Thank you for sharing that, I'm not sure why I haven't seen an explanation for this mass SJW craze like that before. It's easy to think that it's just extreme political correctness that was the start of all this but I think those posts in your pic outline a much more serious threat.

I want summer to end

Surprised I haven't heard this factoid more widely trumpeted by SJWs. I thought gamers were racists and all that. I also thought gamers were dead.

Can someone please post the infographic of NoA censorship?

I'm pretty sure few anons from Holla Forums would ever consider "playing" (as if it was really a game and not just a gimmick) Pokemon Go, in part because it involves getting outside the basement and taking a walk for change. Unfortunately, the hordes of normalfags eat that shit like gravy.

The worst aspect of the Pokemon Go fenomena is taht it will incentivize companies to rush in and develop something similar for the VR googles, instead of trying to make real games for them. So, the tech will be lost on gimmicky shovelware and it will probably be so massive, traditional gaming will become niche and then disappear from History.

It seems like we could do something with "localization is just censorship of scary foreign cultures," playing the angle that any localization changes are extremely disrespectful of their original culture… I suspect this has been done before, but I also think it could be really efficient if we played the sex-angry ones against the culture-angry ones.

"Traditional gaming" was under threat from consoles, under threat from casual games flooding the market, under threat from mobile games, under threat from motion games, under threat from VR games, and has still turned out fine.

and that's the scariest truth right there. The AI isn't some entity living in a supercomputer, it is a collective will of society that manifests itself as political correctness. We are all the patriots, and we are also the ones that the patriots control. Memes run the world and I'm not talking about the fucking pictures of animals with text overlayed.

Those with the greatest influence over these collective memes are the most powerful people in the world, which would be those that control the media. The only way to begin to fight it is to teach others to open their minds to perspectives that might seem "taboo" or "politically incorrect". You can't just tell them that the media lies to them because technically it doesn't, hence the "we do not wish to control content but create context"

That's because gimmicky games usually turn boring after a while, so interest on them wane pretty quickly (remember how Second Life was "THE Big Thing" that would crush MMO games? Well, it turned out that it was shit because there's no gameplay to it). Pokemon Go, for what I understand, also seems to get boring for a while, mostly because it's just a gimmicky "travel > collect" application for smartphones. BUT, if they manage to create a version for VR glasses that is even more gimmicky and that doesn't get boring as fast, gaming could as well be reduced to that by greedy companies trying to cash in the shekels with low effort.

Kojima tried to warn us, and what was his reward? Having his series turned into pachinko machines. Fuck this gay Earth.

Some localizations were decent from the mid-90s to the mid-2000s, at least. But yeah, we've just switched flavor of authoritarian between the early days of gaming and now. The big difference is that in the early days, pretty much everyone in the gaming community was against the people calling for censorship, whereas now, many people from within the industry are openly advocating for it.

It will likely see a huge population drop in time, similar to how the main franchise lost its status as a cultural phenomenon sometime during Gen 2.

IGDA,DIGRA,EA and NINTENDO are all evil monopolies that need to have their throats chopped. I said all of this shit when in came to light years ago on this.

Bump. Please.

Fucking jap shills.

Can get guns and kill igda already.

Why of course my fellow anomalous, just hit me up via email and we can pwn teh n00bs and share some cheese pizza xD