Rank the 6th gen consoles by fan noise

In my personal experience from most to least:

Xbox>PS2 wide>Dreamcast>Gamecube>PS2 narrow

Feel free to do the 7th and 8th gen systems as well.

But what about the disc spin noise, the laser carriage noise, the button mashing noise

You pretty much got it spot on OP, except I can recall the PS2 slim got pretty fucking loud when the fans jumped into overdrive, a slimmer console doesn't always equal more silent, because a smaller chasis means less sound dentening

Negligible

I remember the GameCube having a pretty loud read laser carriage, the Xbox had the most silent one though

This thread makes me feel like a normalfag.
in a good way

Did cooling fans in the 6th gen adjust their speed based on temperature or were they fixed to a certain speed?

I know the 7th gen and later systems had variable fanspeed.

The PS2 narrow had variable fanspeed.

The Pentium III and IV computers that were around at the release of the 6th gen systems had fixed fanspeed.

The Gamecube and PS2 narrow had quieter fans because they used external power bricks.

Power conversion generates heat. That's why your computer power supply has a fan in addition to the CPU fan, GPU fan, and case fans.

Laptops use an external power brick and only have a single fan so they are less noisy than desktop PCs.

The new Xbox One S has an internal power supply. This as well as its smaller shell will cause the console to melt itself just like the Xbox360 before it.

It will be RROD city all over again all because normalfag vermin kept whining the Xbox One was too large: "eew, it looks like a VCR from the 90s!"

my old launch wii was really loud but I don't know what caused it
my buddy's ps4 is the loudest console I have ever heard and it overheats so fucking often but he's too lazy to get it fixed even though it's within warranty

Gamecube>Xbox>PS2>Dreamcast

A question for those of you who build custom gaming computers:

How much does replacing the stock fans with high end fans (Noctua, etc) decrease the noise?
Assuming the fans are the same size and spin the same speed as stock.

I want to know if it's worth replacing the fans inside the 6th gen consoles.

The Gamecube fan noise was virtually nonexistant as far as consoles with fans in them go. The disc read laser noise was quite audible though. Was this because it was inherently noisy or just the fact that there was no fan to drone the noise out is beyond me but it was hardly an issue. Not like the 360 which was a fucking jet turbine.

little to none
because it's a fucking fan, the only reason you need a better fan is because your computer tends to speed up its fans constantly when playing games, or throttles at high temps

I see you're a big FAN of consoles

I can't remember the fan sound of any console or device I've used, I completely ignore that stuff. How the fuck do you guys remember pointless random details from a decade ago?

speaking of consoles, i felt the ps4 really loud when playing games, way louder than my wii, wii u and ps3
note I do not own a ps4, i merely played one at a friends house and was creating so much noise it showered over the actual game when everyone is in near silence

How do you fuck up this badly? The PSU was literally the size of a brick too.

xbox 360 confirmed worst fan

I was watching a twitch stream and the guy's ps4 got so loud I legitimately thought someone off screen was vacuuming.

I've never payed too much attention to it until I got a PS4. Some games like Bloodborne make it crank up to ridiculous levels.

Not on my dreamcast it's not. That fucker practically yells every time the lazer moves around to load shit.

I can hear the PS2 and Dreamcast make disc clicking noises.
Whenever some audio loads on the PS2 I can hear it.

That's what you get for living in a dusty goddamn house. Maybe you'd be better acquainted with the inside of a vacuum if you fucking used your own once in a while.

There are actually two different versions of the PS2 narrow, one with external power brick and the other with internal power supply.

That's probably why some people say the PS2 narrow is quiet, others say it's loud.

5th generation and earlier consoles did not have fans, the exceptions being the 1st model 3DO and the Pippin.

What a genuinely autistic thread

You can hang yourself any time, normalfag.

Dreamcast has an extremely loud disc noise…GameCube close second. Never had an xbox so can't rank that. PS2 has loud fans sometimes

Usually PCs are louder than a console's single fan because they have 3+ fans..

What CPU cooler do you have installed?
What PSU do you have installed?
What videocard do you have installed?
What case fans do you have installed, if any?

Some Arctic Silver one with a fan that's independently suspended by rubber grippers away from the heatsink, and the fan doesn't have a frame. It has very low turbulence.

Some OCZ 550W that's going on 6 years old. I recently choked it by switching to a bottom-mount PSU case, placing the fan intake directly onto carpet. Seems to be working fine. No noise from it.

Some old ass Radeon from ASUS. DirectCU - meaning - massive fucking heatsink with fat copper pipes. The fan barely needs to spin. On the newer ASUS cards (which I will buy when I go Zen) the fans don't even need to spin at all when you're not actively pushing it.

2x Cougar Hydraulic bearing fans with rubber mounts and corner pads that isolate the frame from the steel of the case…

which is a Corsair 330R titanium edition, so it's sound dampened.

The tower is also tucked into a cubby-hole, not sitting on top of my desk like I'm some kind of savage.

On the PS2 and PS3 certainly not

This is the kind of culture that will doom the Anglosphere.

The people think technical knowledge is something to be ashamed of.

Even in the top Murkan universities the students avoid discussing their studies among friends, not wanting to seem too smart.

China and Russia do not have this problem.

They are pumping out nucular missiles like a sausage factory.

The future is so bright you will be needing sunglasses.

where the fuck do you even live ?

Dust is mostly dead skin so maybe you should get your own room instead of sharing it with your 50 siblings whorehey.

Real computer enthusiasts keep their case at arm's length on the table for easy access to cables and side door.